Search Unity

[RELEASED] Magic Light Probes - High Precision Light Probe Generator

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Eugene-B, Nov 18, 2019.

?

Are you interested in this asset?

Poll closed Jan 28, 2020.
  1. Yes, I plan to buy it

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Hello everybody!
    Has anyone encountered an error due to which all layers of static geometry switched to "Ignore Raycast"? It happened once to me, but I still did not understand why and still cannot repeat this case.

In one of the passes, my code switches the layer for all static objects to "Ignore Raycast", then at a certain point everything returns as it was. I'm afraid that there might be some kind of mistake, but this is not a fact.

I would be grateful for the help in solving the problem. If it really exists!

(FIXED in v1.4.2)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  2. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

I'm trying to adapt Magic Light Probes to different situations. Should I add the ability to place probes along the given lines? This would allow the probes placement on a roads network quickly and accurately.

At the moment, this does not look very accurate...
    roads.PNG

roads1.PNG

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    hopeful likes this.
  3. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Hi!
    In version 1.4.1, an error was discovered due to which, when calculating the volume for the first time, all layers of static objects were reset to "Ignore Raycast". This bug has been fixed in version 1.4.2, the update has already been uploaded to the asset store and is waiting for approval. To receive the update personally, write to me.

Also in version 1.4.2 the following corrections are made:

Added features:
    • Added ability to install probes in manual mode with one click ("MLP Combined Volume" component)
    Bug fixes:
    • The "MagicLightProbes.DependencyChecker.DoesTypeExist()" method throws an exception in some cases, which blocks code compilation
    • The first time you add the "MLP Volume" component to the scene, all non-static objects are deactivated
    • Minor fixes in DependencyChecker.cs file

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  4. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Version 1.4.3 sent to the asset store.

Added features:

• HDRP light source support (experimental)

AntonioModer and ftejada like this.
  5. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

A new problem was found.

A pop-up window asking to add plug-in main component to the scene in the prefab editing mode

Will be fixed in the next update.

6. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Hey guys!
    Update 1.5 ready and sent to the asset store!
    Anyone who wants to receive it before it becomes available in the asset store, send me your email address and invoice № in the PM.

Added features:
    • The calculation can now be performed even if the editor window is out of focus
    • Ability to quickly edit in real-time some parameters of the calculated volume (in the current version it is only "Color Threshold")
    • The light sources in the "Lights" tab of the manager are now sorted by type and mode

Bug Fixes:
    • A pop-up window asking to add plug-in main component to the scene in the prefab editing mode
    Changes:
    • Recalculation of automatic volume separation is started only after the mouse button is released

AntonioModer likes this.
  7. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

In version 1.5, an error was detected due to which it was not possible to complete compilation of the project. The update has already been sent to the store.

8. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Hi everyone!
    I added a new feature to the plugin. I’m still working on it but it is already working and will be available in update 1.6. A new feature is the quick editing of the calculated volume in real-time. It runs on GPU and it is very fast!

9. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Update 1.6 sent to the store.

Added features:
    • Quick editing of volume parameters after calculation
      • Equivalent Volume Filling (GPU)
      • Unlit Volume Filling (GPU)
      • Color Threshold
    • GPU acceleration for some passes of calculation
    • Display progress in editor status bar
    • Display progress on Windows taskbar
    Bug Fixes:
    • In rare cases, probes were erroneously placed inside the geometry
    • Incorrect parent volume for a light source
    • Probes removed from combined volume after scene reload
    • Incorrect type of light source in HDRP mode
    Changes:
    • Temporarily disabled the ability to set the distance between the probes in the corners

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    AntonioModer likes this.
  10. DJSourceTech

DJSourceTech

Hi there, we bought your amazing plugin! Really helpful!
    But some of out project is using .NET 2.0, is it possible to run Magic Light Probe with NET2.0?

AntonioModer and Eugene-B like this.
  11. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Hi!
    Thanks for the feedback! I don’t think you should have any problems with Net 2.0, I tried to keep this support. However, if something does not work, then write to all available communication channels that we’ll come up with something!

AntonioModer likes this.
  12. DJSourceTech

DJSourceTech

NET3.5 i mean, not 2.0

13. DJSourceTech

DJSourceTech

Thanks for reply, we are trying to change to .NET 4.0, hope it can run

14. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

I had no problems with this, it should work on all versions.

AntonioModer likes this.
  15. Caudex

Caudex

Does this support URP. I cannot find it in the docs

AntonioModer likes this.
  16. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Yes, it is compatible with URP/HDRP.

AntonioModer likes this.
  17. Caudex

Caudex

I am getting a null reference exception that freezes the unity editor (it continuously throws the exception). I was trying to resize the bounding box at the time but the drag points were not showing.
    upload_2020-4-25_22-42-30.png

I tried restarting Unity but this did not help, I removed all the objects from the hierarchy, it still did not solve the problem. I then removed the script from the Directional Light and that finally killed it.
    After adding everything back in, it is no longer throwing exceptions but I still cannot seem to resize the green box to encompass the scene. What am I missing? I cannot see any grab handles to allow me to resize it.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  18. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Can you connect to the discord channel? Quick guess. You did not delete (by accident or on purpose) any embedded objects of the main component?
    If you add the main component to the scene again and remove the old one, does this solve the problem?

Volume dimensions are changed using the "Rect Tool"
    upload_2020-4-25_19-32-38.png

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  19. Caudex

Caudex

Thankyou for your quick reply, I thought I had tried that.

Yes I think you are right about removing a script. When I was fiddling around looking for how to make the grab handles appear, I think I removed the quick edit script (as it had warnings saying it was experimental). I do think you should update your docs to say how to resize that box and also that you have to have a script on every light. Incidentally, a button to Add To All would really be appreciated. I am adding prefabs in with lots of lights in them and clicking manually is kinda tedious.

Thanks again for your help, this tool is a life saver.

20. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Thanks dude!
    The documents did not really mention how to change the size of the volume. I added this information yesterday.
    As for the button for adding a component to all light sources, yes, you're right, I will add it in the next update. Good luck

21. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Hi there!
    I created a server for quick delivery of updates. You will now download the latest release version of MLP before it is available in the asset store.
    I will also post individual updated files there. Access is by login (use any name) and the number of your invoice. Registration is automatic.
    http://motiongamesstudio.com/mlp-update

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  22. fleity

fleity

Quick tip for everyone who has problems with geometry dissappearing or not being considered by the lightprobe placement:
    If you parent a mesh (set to static) under an empty which is not set to static AND has a monobehaviour attached to it the light probe placement will deactivate the empty and therefore all children during the calculation. However if that empty with a script is set to static as well everything works as it should.

Took me more than an hour to figure and some serious headache xD

23. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Perhaps it's time to allocate a place in the manual for this problem! :)
    Thank you for participating!

fleity likes this.
  24. fleity

fleity

thanks, it's a pleasure. The tool is great and a huge time saver (even with a few random things happening like that xD)

Eugene-B likes this.
  25. fleity

fleity

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets\ThirdParty\Magic Light Probes\MLPVolume.cs(62,68): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'GizmoType' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    I have multiple erros like this one when trying to build the project with MLP.
    Gizmotype is probably from UnityEditor? hence it can not be found when building? Shouldn't this be in the editor folder then or wrapped in an #if UNITY_EDITOR?
    MLP version 1.66

adding #if UNITY_EDITOR directives in MagicLightProbes.cs and MLPVolume.cs made it work:
    MLPVolume.cs
    line 62 before DrawGizmoOnSelection #if UNITY_EDITOR
    and #endif in line 125​

MagicLightProbes.cs: around variable definition of
    public SerializedObject tagManager;
    public SerializedProperty tagsProp;​
    and in
    CheckIfTagExist function where these are used. The function will then always return false but I guess that's okay in a build

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  26. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

I will fix this in version 1.67, which I have almost prepared. I was in a hurry and forgot to check assembly errors, again.

27. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Version 1.67 uploaded to the update server.

Added features:
    • After clicking the "Add Volume ..." button in the manager, a new volume is created in front of the camera
    Bug Fixes:
    • Data for quick editing is saved even after a scene is reloaded
    • Compilation errors fixed

fleity likes this.
  28. OwlBoy-

OwlBoy-

I'm getting some errors:

upload_2020-5-15_13-16-36.png

Code (CSharp):
    1. Kernel 'CSMain' not found
    2. UnityEngine.ComputeShader:FindKernel(String)
    3. MagicLightProbes.<ExecutePass>d__1:MoveNext() (at assets/Magic Light Probes/Passes/PartialVolumeFilling.cs:64)
    4. MagicLightProbes.MagicLightProbes:SubPassIteratorUpdate() (at assets/Magic Light Probes/MagicLightProbes.cs:450)
    5. UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentException: Kernel 'CSMain' not found.
    2. MagicLightProbes.PartialVolumeFilling+<ExecutePass>d__1.MoveNext () (at assets/Magic Light Probes/Passes/PartialVolumeFilling.cs:64)
    3. MagicLightProbes.MagicLightProbes.SubPassIteratorUpdate () (at assets/Magic Light Probes/MagicLightProbes.cs:450)
    4. UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorApplication.cs:200)
    Deleting MLP Group 0 and restarting Unity and trying again with a new one I did not get the error, but I have no clue how I caused the error. And fiddling with random errors on my first go at it is a bummer.

And, I have no probes generated. Not sure what to do. Lemme know what additional information is useful. Unity 2018.4.20f1. 1.68 from the asset store.

Edit: Additional errors I see while trying to figure stuff out:

Code (csharp):
    1. Socket: connect failed, error: Operation now in progress(36)
    2. UnityEditor.SceneManagement.EditorSceneManager:SaveCurrentModifiedScenesIfUserWantsTo()
    3. MagicLightProbes.GeneralMethods:MLPMainComponentEditor(MagicLightProbes) (at assets/Magic Light Probes/Editor/GeneralMethods.cs:830)
    4. MagicLightProbes.MLPEditor:OnInspectorGUI() (at assets/Magic Light Probes/Editor/MLPEditor.cs:45)
    5. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    Code (csharp):
    2. connect failed
    3. UnityEditor.SceneManagement.EditorSceneManager:SaveCurrentModifiedScenesIfUserWantsTo()
    4. MagicLightProbes.GeneralMethods:MLPMainComponentEditor(MagicLightProbes) (at assets/Magic Light Probes/Editor/GeneralMethods.cs:830)
    5. MagicLightProbes.MLPEditor:OnInspectorGUI() (at assets/Magic Light Probes/Editor/MLPEditor.cs:45)
    6. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    This is one of the compute shaders:
    upload_2020-5-15_14-0-30.png

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  29. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

The cause of this problem has been clarified.

Compute shaders do not work on OpenGL <4.3 for Windows and Linux. For macOS only in Metal Render mode. Software verification added.

In such cases, the system will work without using a GPU.
    The problem will be fixed in version 1.69

Thansk to OwlBoy-

30. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Version 1.69 uploaded to the update server.

Added features:
    • During quick editing, the volumes that are visible in the editor camera are recalculated first (prioritized view)
    • Scene GUI for adding/removing objects that bound the scene from below (Tools/Magic Light Probes/Scene GUI)
    Bug Fixes:
    • Fixed a bug in the inspector of the "MLP Quick Editing" component, which did not allow it to display correctly
    • Errors in the algorithm for arranging probes along geometry are fixed
    • Compute shaders do not work on OpenGL < 4.3 for Windows and Linux. For macOS only Metal Render is supported. Software verification added

31. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Mini patch
    Added features:
    • Managing a list of objects that bounds the scene from below from the main component interface
    upload_2020-5-19_1-35-39.png
    Bug Fixes:
    • A method has been found in the search code for probes located below ground/floor that slows down the system if there are many objects on the scene
    • Errors in the "MLP Quick Editing" component - index out of range
    • The wrong plugin’s work path makes it impossible to work system correctly
    Version available on update server

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  32. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Version 1.69 is supplemented by many corrections (thanks to everyone for the bug reports) and renamed to 1.70, now it is available on the update server under this name.

Anyone who has problems (as well as everyone else) with version 1.68 (available in the asset store), please upgrade to version 1.70 first and see if the problems are fixed.
    An update to the asset store will be sent a bit later, after updating the documentation.

Full list of changes
    Added features:
    • During quick editing, the volumes that are visible in the editor camera are recalculated first (prioritized view)
    • Scene GUI for adding/removing objects that bound the scene from below (Tools -> Magic Light Probes -> Scene GUI)
    • Managing a list of objects that bounds the scene from below from the main component interface
    Bug Fixes:
    • Fixed a bug in the inspector of the "MLP Quick Editing" component, which did not allow it to display correctly
    • Errors in the algorithm for arranging probes along geometry are fixed
    • Compute shaders do not work on OpenGL < 4.3 for Windows and Linux. For macOS only Metal Render is supported. Software verification added
    • A method has been found in the search code for probes located below ground/floor that slows down the system if there are many objects on the scene
    • Errors in the "MLP Quick Editing" component - index out of range
    • The wrong plugin’s work path makes it impossible to work system correctly

33. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    AthrunVLokiz likes this.
  34. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Version 1.71 uploaded to the update server.

Bug Fixes:
    • Bugs fixed in debug mode when the "Simple" workflow is selected

35. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hey guys,
    wanted to ask what files/ folders could potentially be git.ignored?

36. fleity

fleity

@Alexees
    I've checked in the entire MLP folder into out git without any issues. Since then I have removed a few examples, which I suspect you can therefore safely add to the gitignore
    AND
    I have gitingored the scene data folder (and meta file) as this is the only folder which constantly add local files / changes.

Eugene-B and Deleted User like this.
  37. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Thanks @fleity for taking part!

Yes, there are files for quick editing in the "Scene Data" folder, if you want your team to also edit the volume using "MLP Quick Editing", then you need to transfer this folder to the them. Other files may be ignored.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    fleity likes this.
  38. macube

macube

Hey,

i get always the error-message, when i click on "calculate probes volume":

UnassignedReferenceException: The variable calculateVolumeFilling of MagicLightProbes has not been assigned.
    You probably need to assign the calculateVolumeFilling variable of the MagicLightProbes script in the inspector.
    MagicLightProbes.PartialVolumeFilling+<ExecutePass>d__1.MoveNext () (at Assets/Magic Light Probes/Passes/PartialVolumeFilling.cs:73)

And the second problem is, its very slow when i add MPL Group.
    I use Unity 2019.3.13f1 with URP.

39. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

The first error says that the compute shader is not loaded and therefore the variable is NULL. The second problem is related to the slow method of searching the plugin’s working folder; this happens when your project is large enough. I am already working on this. Could you connect to the Discord channel so that we can communicate more quickly?

40. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Version 1.72 uploaded on update server.

Changes:
    • LoadComputeShaders() method is divided, now the search for the plugin work folder is carried out in a parallel thread, after which the shaders are loaded. (this eliminates the possibility of the editor freezing when adding volume to the scene)

41. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Version 1.73 uploaded on update server.

Improvements:
    • Automatically check for updates
    The system automatically connects to the update server and checks for a new version. If a new version is detected, you will receive a notification in the interface of the main component.

upload_2020-6-3_19-57-1.png

Using the "About MLP..." window, you can download and install a new version without leaving the editor window.

upload_2020-6-3_19-56-33.png
    • Links to documentation in system components (help icon in the inspector interface)
    upload_2020-6-5_17-44-19.png

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    AthrunVLokiz likes this.
  42. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Version 1.74 uploaded to update server.

Improvements:
    • Tips for options in the editor interface
    Bug Fixes:
    • The warning about the necessary system component is repeated endlessly and blocks the editor if you deactivate the object in which the MLP Combined Volume component is located
    You can update the version using the "About MLP ..." window

The store version will be updated later. I'm still waiting for version 1.73 to be confirmed, then I will send version 1.74.

43. netpost

netpost

@EvgenFree

Is it possible to know how to update from 1.71? I have load of errors that I would love to get rid of. :)

44. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

@netpost
    Hi!

Errors indicate that you have deleted something from your scene.
    In fact, while researching the code, it seems like you are using HDRP and have removed the HD Additional Light Data component from the light source.

upload_2020-6-9_1-25-9.png

In any case, you can update the version using the update server.

If there are problems after the update, then try to connect to the Discord server, there we can quickly solve any problems.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  45. Deleted User

Deleted User

@EvgenFree awesome tool, thanks for creating it, it's really a life saver. Could you do one more thing and clean up the API so it does not throw warnings at all?

upload_2020-6-9_6-9-19.png

Eugene-B likes this.
  46. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Thanks! I will pay attention to these warnings. Will be fixed in the next version.

47. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Version 1.75 uploaded to update server.

Improvements:
    • Automatic arrangement of calculation volumes
    • Dynamic Volume Density (Experimental)
    upload_2020-6-13_1-3-7.png
    upload_2020-6-13_1-7-5.png

In parts of the volume in which there are groups of several objects, the density of the probes automatically increases.
    • The requirement to select objects to limit the scene below is now optional. You can use the bottom side of the volume as a limiter
    • Setting the Gizmo display distance during quick editing
    Gizmo Diastance.gif

Bug Fixes:

• MLP Helper window now displays correctly
    • The console is cleared of warnings
    Changes:
    • Manager window resized
    • An object is created on the scene, into which all the components of the plug-in are added

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  48. netpost

netpost

@EvgenFree

Thank you for the quick reply. Strange! I verified and I had two HD Additionnal light data components on the same camera. o_O

This will be really useful and faster. I just downloaded the latest version, Thank you!

49. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

@netpost
    Oh no, it's not about the camera, it's about the light source to which MLP Light is added.

If this problem is still not resolved, please let me know. If possible, then connect to the Discord channel for quick communication

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  50. Eugene-B

Eugene-B

Hey guys!
    Please pass a short survey if it’s not difficult for you. Maybe this will help me improve my asset. I will be very grateful!

https://forms.gle/e41noPnPKVKpRaWk6