Search Unity

[RELEASED] MadGoat SSAA and Resolution Scale

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Raul_T, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Raul_T

Raul_T

My bad :( I'll look into it and update.

2. Raul_T

Raul_T

@saxovr
    Update 1.6.1 is live. Your issue should be fixed :) let me know

3. blackbird

blackbird

is it possible to set up custom resolutions like 1920*720 ?

Raul_T likes this.
  4. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

Does it work with HDRP?

Raul_T and blackbird like this.
  5. Raul_T

Raul_T

Hello, can you give more details about what you are trying to achieve? Technically you can setup any resolution with our SSAA, but the aspect ratio is fixed to the screen's resolution ratio. If you set 1920x720 on a 1920x1080 screen, you will lose image quality vertically and gain more performance. Is this what you are looking for?

Not currently, but support will come. Main issues is that the HDRP and LWRP cameras don't have OnPreRender and OnPostRender callbacks which are the 2 main functions where most of SSAA setup happens. We're looking into workarounds. Otherwise we have to wait for unity to add other ways to notify scripts about these events.

6. blackbird

blackbird

@MadGoat yes that's my goal to gain performance and to make it compatible with 21:9 aspect ratio screen too
    so is it possible ?
    i want to use it on low-end consoles

7. Raul_T

Raul_T

I'll look into it and come with an answer. Need to test it regarding the 21:9 ratio.

blackbird likes this.
  8. blackbird

blackbird

does it work ?

9. Raul_T

Raul_T

Hello, sorry for the late reply. I had some personal matters to take care of during the past days.

Is this what you were looking for?

blackbird likes this.
  10. blackbird

blackbird

yes right

11. Raul_T

Raul_T

Short announcement regarding HDRP & LWRP support:

We have figured out most of the changes needed for the system to work with the new render pipelines (and with the new cameras API). All that's left to do is to port the post processing part of the asset to command buffers (they are currently handled in OnRenderImage() which is no longer available in the new Scriptable Pipelines.)

Switching to command buffers will also bring performance benefits to the old standard pipeline due to faster processing. Regarding older unity versions where command buffers are not supported, we will probably add a fallback to the older system, not sure yet.

If everything goes well, there will possibly be an update to support SRPs by the end of this month ^^

Cheers

wetcircuit, hopeful and blackbird like this.
  12. ZoiX

ZoiX

Hello there,

Does it support mobile VR? Specifically OculusGo? Thank you :)

13. Raul_T

Raul_T

Technically, if the OculusGo package supports Unity's built in VR/XR api for changing device's internal render resolution (for example like on regular oculus rift), it should work. However it's not something that we've tested.

14. ZoiX

ZoiX

Awesome! So I will buy the asset and see if it works :)
    Any support after installed will be appreciated, I will come back to you shortly.

Raul_T likes this.
  15. ZoiX

ZoiX

Update: unfortunately, it didn't work :-(
    It doesn't show anything but a grey screen when I launch the app. The same happened with another solutions I've tested.

I tried with SSAA Mode with 2x and 4x and changing different settings as well. Even using just a simple 3D model instead of my ArchViz project. With Resolution Scale option (as you mention in the documentation) the same happens.

16. UnityRocksAlt

UnityRocksAlt

This is regarding a comment that said when Screen Space Reflection Post Process is turned on, the frame rate drops dramatically. Has this issue been resolved, since I plan to buy it?

17. Raul_T

Raul_T

That is not an issue in the sense that it's the SSAA's plugin fault. SSR is very heavy when it come to gpu time, so naturally when rising/doubling the render resolution (i.e. from 1080p to 4k with SSAA x4) the frame rate will drop a lot more with SSR on. A workaround would be to run the SSR effect at half res when using SSAA. This way, lets say for 4k in SSAA, the SSR at Half will run at 1080p so you won't lose quality when compared to SSAA off and SSR at full res.

Same applies to other screen effects that are considered "heavy", such as SSAO, HBAO, contact shadows etc but these are not that bad as the SSR one.

I'll look into adding an option to automatically optimize post processing stack's quality settings based on the SSAA setting in the future, for ease of use.

UnityRocksAlt and hopeful like this.
  18. zhoslen

zhoslen

Hi everyone. As I see it isn't work for HDRP or LWRP? I

19. Raul_T

Raul_T

Not now, but soon :)

20. UnityRocksAlt

UnityRocksAlt

Thanks, for your reply. I will buy in near future.

Raul_T likes this.
  21. aduchene

aduchene

Great can't wait to test it !

Raul_T likes this.
  22. aduchene

aduchene

Any chance you got something testable working with HDRP ?
    Cheers,

23. Raul_T

Raul_T

Hi, I'm currently preparing a test version. Still working on fixing some issues and black screens related to post processing.

24. Raul_T

Raul_T

Announcement regarding the progress on scriptable pipelines support (HDRP/LWRP/VRRP)

Good news, the SSAA system is currently running under HDRP (probably other pipelines too, haven't tested yet). However there are still issues with the post processing layer compatibility (image gets rendered upside down with any post processing effect on.) FSSAA also needs to be re-implemented as it doesn't work as is.

Now to the drawbacks of porting the SSAA to HDRP. Since the cameras in the scriptable pipelines work differently when it comes to rendering, everything that is related to post processing (image effects etc) has to be run in the camera's render loop. The easiest way to do this is through the post processing stack context's buffers (similar to camera command buffers). This means the Post Processing Package must always be included in the project when using HDRP/LWRP etc. The SSAA plugin will automatically setup its own (hidden) volume and profile that doesn't affect the rest of your post processing, and is only used for the downsampling screen filters. A new render layer also has to be created. All the information necessary will be added in the manual when everything is ready for release. I'm aiming to simplify and automate the setup for SRP as much as possible.
    This doesn't apply for the standard pipeline (everything run as before there).

I will try to fix everything today if possible, then I can provide a beta version for people who own the asset.

Yuki-Taiyo and hopeful like this.
  25. Yuki-Taiyo

Yuki-Taiyo

Could the UI shrinking issue be fixed for the next update ?

26. Raul_T

Raul_T

Hello, I can't seem to reproduce the issue. Are you using Unity built in UI? Can you provide your canvas settings?

Edit: are you using RenderMode : ScreenSpace - Camera with Constant Pixel Size scaling on your canvas?

ScreenSpace-Camera would take in consideration the resolution of the camera, rather than the resolution of the screen, thus affecting the DPI of the UI when using SSAA. I will try to add this information in the Documentation.
    It would be easier to use Screen Size scaling or DPI scaling rather than dealing with this. (Of course if your use scenario allows it.)

However if its a necessity to use UI on ScreenSpace Camera with Constant Pixel Scale, a script that multiplies the scale factor by the resolution scale would be necessary to avoid this problem.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using UnityEngine.UI;
    4. [RequireComponent(typeof(CanvasScaler))]
    5. public class SSAACanvasScaler : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     // actual canvas scale needed independent of resolution
    8.     public float desiredCanvasScale = 1f;
    10.     // call this function in the code that changes the SSAA Preset/multiplier (will not work well with ssaa adaptive)
    11.     // i.e. settings menu script etc.
    12.     public void OnRenderScaleChanged(float value) // value of ssaa (x2 = 1.5f, x4 =2f) or value of renderscale/multiplier in float
    13.     {
    14.         // multiply desired canvas scale by render scale
    15.         GetComponent<CanvasScaler>().scaleFactor = desiredCanvasScale * value;
    16.     }
    17. }

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  27. Raul_T

Raul_T

Announcement

We now have a Discord Server dedicated for MadGoat Assets where you can stay in touch with our latest news, updates and releases. Also comes with support channels ;)

https://discord.gg/gukyEJ9

Come by and say hello!

28. Raul_T

Raul_T

Announcement

Version 1.7 is now live on the Asset Store!

LWRP & HDRP Beta Support is now available.
    Dedicated documentation & instructions for SRP Beta:
    Link

Full changelog here:
    1.7.1 (Hotfix)
    --------------
    - Fixed an issue that was causing white screens when unity was recompiling shaders.
    - Shader cleanup.

--------------
    - Redesigned SSAA_InternalRenderer script
    - Deprecated MadGoatSSAA_Adv script. Regular MadGoatSSAA now includes the functionality of MadGoatSSAA_Adv
    - Added command buffer post processing implementation on Standard Pipeline
    - Added beta support for HDRP and LWRP (with extensibility to future/custom SRPs)
    - Fixed minor bug that was causing SSAA to sometime throw a blackscreen when going from game to editor mode
    - Fixed minor bug causing the filtering to not always work in SSAA_VR mode
    - Fixed minor bug in VR causing SSAA buffer RenderTextures to have wrong size
    - Fixed minor issues in screenshot API
    - Fixed minor issues in SSAA script
    - Improved performance (lower CPU usage from behaviour code)
    - Improved inspector

29. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

I just got the latest version and I'm having trouble during builds. Everything goes white if enabled. This is 4X with ultra.

Any ideas?
    Chasing Zebras 12_10_2018 11_41_29 AM.png Chasing Zebras 12_10_2018 11_45_43 AM.png

Attached Files:

30. Raul_T

Raul_T

What shader do you use on your materials, and do you use standard pipeline or scriptable? Any 3rd party image effects? Seems like some sort of compatibility issue, but just from looking at the pictures I can't tell much. Does it only happen in build?

31. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

I'm using the standard pipeline with the standard shader. I've tried with and without post processing and at multiple levels of resolution of AA. It only fails on builds and works great in the editor. I'm not using any 3rd party image effects. The only thing on the camera is a post processing layer, but even when disabled it fails in the builds.

FYI, I'm using 2018.2.18f1.

32. Raul_T

Raul_T

I'll try to reproduce the issue then come with a solution. Thanks

33. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

I just tried a test of a different scene with a single object in it and it built properly. So now I'm going to go through each setting to see why there is a problem. So far, the only settings that are different that I can detect are some changes to the clipping plane on the camera.

34. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

If I can figure out what setting is different, I'll let you know. I'm running linear/deferred with standard shaders. Post processing has no effect. I do have some shaders on other objects in the scene that are custom that aren't visible in the shot I attached (completely different area in the scene) and I wonder if they are mucking something up. I'm going to try disabling them.

Raul_T likes this.
  35. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

Actually, I was incorrect about using any custom shaders. All of my objects in that scene are using standard shaders.

36. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

I think I figured it out. There was old baked lighting data from a previous version that was incompatible. I cleared the data and it built and ran properly. Now I'm going to re-bake the scene.

37. Raul_T

Raul_T

Hello, so re-baking the lighting fixed the issue? Doesn't sound related to the SSAA and nobody reported this before, but I will add it to the troubleshooting page on the documentation just in case.

ScourgeGames likes this.
  38. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

I haven't re-baked yet (was actually rebuilding the whole scene), but clearing the old baked data did fix it. For some reason, the shader looked like the AO image. Probably a bug in Unity, but I'll be darned if I can reproduce it without reloading all of the assets in the same order again. Thanks for your help.

39. Slowin

Slowin

I just bought your asset and try to use it with Unity 2019.1.0a12 HDRP. I receive the following errors:

Assets\MadGoat-SSAA\Scripts\SRP Renderers\SsaaSamplingUber.cs(12,16): error CS0104: 'TextureParameter' is an ambiguous reference between 'UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.TextureParameter' and 'UnityEngine.Rendering.TextureParameter'

Assets\MadGoat-SSAA\Scripts\SRP Renderers\SsaaSamplingUber.cs(14,16): error CS0104: 'BoolParameter' is an ambiguous reference between 'UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.BoolParameter' and 'UnityEngine.Rendering.BoolParameter'

Assets\MadGoat-SSAA\Scripts\SRP Renderers\SsaaSamplingUber.cs(15,16): error CS0104: 'FloatParameter' is an ambiguous reference between 'UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.FloatParameter' and 'UnityEngine.Rendering.FloatParameter'

Assets\MadGoat-SSAA\Scripts\SRP Renderers\SsaaSamplingUber.cs(17,16): error CS0104: 'IntParameter' is an ambiguous reference between 'UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.IntParameter' and 'UnityEngine.Rendering.IntParameter'

Assets\MadGoat-SSAA\Scripts\SRP Renderers\SsaaSamplingUber.cs(19,16): error CS0104: 'FloatParameter' is an ambiguous reference between 'UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.FloatParameter' and 'UnityEngine.Rendering.FloatParameter'

Assets\MadGoat-SSAA\Scripts\SRP Renderers\SsaaSamplingUber.cs(20,16): error CS0104: 'FloatParameter' is an ambiguous reference between 'UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.FloatParameter' and 'UnityEngine.Rendering.FloatParameter'

Assets\MadGoat-SSAA\Scripts\SRP Renderers\SsaaSamplingUber.cs(21,16): error CS0104: 'FloatParameter' is an ambiguous reference between 'UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.FloatParameter' and 'UnityEngine.Rendering.FloatParameter'

Assets\MadGoat-SSAA\Scripts\SRP Renderers\SsaaSamplingUber.cs(22,16): error CS0104: 'FloatParameter' is an ambiguous reference between 'UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.FloatParameter' and 'UnityEngine.Rendering.FloatParameter'

Assets\MadGoat-SSAA\Scripts\SRP Renderers\SsaaSamplingUber.cs(24,16): error CS0104: 'BoolParameter' is an ambiguous reference between 'UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.BoolParameter' and 'UnityEngine.Rendering.BoolParameter'

Assets\MadGoat-SSAA\Scripts\SRP Renderers\SsaaVRSamplingUber.cs(12,16): error CS0104: 'BoolParameter' is an ambiguous reference between 'UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.BoolParameter' and 'UnityEngine.Rendering.BoolParameter'

Assets\MadGoat-SSAA\Scripts\SRP Renderers\SsaaVRSamplingUber.cs(13,16): error CS0104: 'FloatParameter' is an ambiguous reference between 'UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.FloatParameter' and 'UnityEngine.Rendering.FloatParameter'

Assets\MadGoat-SSAA\Scripts\SRP Renderers\SsaaVRSamplingUber.cs(15,16): error CS0104: 'IntParameter' is an ambiguous reference between 'UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.IntParameter' and 'UnityEngine.Rendering.IntParameter'

Assets\MadGoat-SSAA\Scripts\SRP Renderers\SsaaVRSamplingUber.cs(17,16): error CS0104: 'FloatParameter' is an ambiguous reference between 'UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.FloatParameter' and 'UnityEngine.Rendering.FloatParameter'

Assets\MadGoat-SSAA\Scripts\SRP Renderers\SsaaVRSamplingUber.cs(18,16): error CS0104: 'FloatParameter' is an ambiguous reference between 'UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.FloatParameter' and 'UnityEngine.Rendering.FloatParameter'

Assets\MadGoat-SSAA\Scripts\SRP Renderers\SsaaVRSamplingUber.cs(19,16): error CS0104: 'FloatParameter' is an ambiguous reference between 'UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.FloatParameter' and 'UnityEngine.Rendering.FloatParameter'

Assets\MadGoat-SSAA\Scripts\SRP Renderers\SsaaVRSamplingUber.cs(20,16): error CS0104: 'FloatParameter' is an ambiguous reference between 'UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.FloatParameter' and 'UnityEngine.Rendering.FloatParameter'

Assets\MadGoat-SSAA\Scripts\SRP Renderers\SsaaVRSamplingUber.cs(22,16): error CS0104: 'BoolParameter' is an ambiguous reference between 'UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.BoolParameter' and 'UnityEngine.Rendering.BoolParameter'

Any idea what I could do here?

40. Raul_T

Raul_T

Hello, support for 2019 alphas is not available yet. I haven't checked out how 2019 works but my guess would be that you need to add
    UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.
    to every parameter where you see the error to fix it. I will add some directives to check for unity 2019 version at compile time in the next update.

Regards
    Raul @ MadGoat

41. Imperatoss

Imperatoss

I get Following error if i go on Ultra Quality

Shader error in 'Hidden/SSAA/FSS': failed to open source file: 'Include/STD_SSAA_FXAA.hlsl' at line 33 (on d3d11)

The file isnt there

42. Raul_T

Raul_T

After upgrading from 1.6 to 1.7? I changed the shaders folder structure and apparently the asset store importer doesn't like it. You can try completely deleting the asset from your project and re-importing from asset store again.

I'll look into a better solution for the next update.

43. stack86

stack86

Latest version has a VR script, but it doesn't work, at first I hadn't followed the installation instructions, so I figured that was it, but now gone through all those steps, downloading and installing the v2 pack from github, importing the shaders, ensuring the script option is defined. No change. What happens is the framerate is effected (when 4x mode is on it laaags haaard) so it's certainly TRYING to do something, but there is no visual change in the VR headset. I'm using Unity 2018.2.15f1 with OpenVR

44. Raul_T

Raul_T

I was able to reproduce the issue and it will be fixed in v1.7.2 along with other fixes related to the VR script. Thank you for reporting.

45. Raul_T

Raul_T

A new patch has been released on asset store!

1.7.2 (Patch 2)

-------------- STANDARD
    - Fixed a bug that was causing SSAA_VR to require post processing stack script attatched in non SRP environment.
    - Fixed a bug that was causing SSAA_VR to not apply to the device.
    - Fixed a bug with SSAA Ultra on SSAA_VR.
    - Fixed a bug that was causing SSAA to get stuck in no filtering mode.
    - Fixed minor bug in public API.
    - Fixed minor bug in utils script that was sometimes causing building to fail.
    -------------- SRP
    - [SRP] Optimized for new SRP versions on 2018.3 (SRP 4.5.0+)
    - [SRP] Optimized for new SRP versions on 2019.1 (SRP 5.0.0+)
    - [SRP] Fixed a bug that was causing SSAA to have the wrong filtering mode.
    - [SRP] Fixed a bug that was causing SSAA to run incorrectly in build.

SRP 5.0.0 compatibility was tested on 2019.1.0a12 - older alphas might not work correctly

46. Raul_T

Raul_T

Announcement!
    The long awaited overlaying cameras support is coming soon :)

Example - One camera rendering the background at full resolution, a second camera rendering the barrels at x0.2 resolution. Should work great for first person perspective (SSAA on first person hands etc.)

hopeful and wetcircuit like this.
  47. PerunCreative

PerunCreative

Any news or ETA?

48. Raul_T

Raul_T

We are currently working on the compatibility with scriptable pipelines (and at the same time we have a lot of work @ our game project). Standard pipeline and overlapping cameras work well with our latest beta. Feel free to come over on our discord server if you are interested in beta testing.

Probably by the end of this week we will publish the update to asset store.

49. Raul_T

Raul_T

MadGoat SSAA & Resolution Scale v1.8.0 is now live on Asset Store!

Changelog - 1.8.0

STANDARD
    - Added support for overlapping cameras
    - Fixed a bug that was causing errors after unity was started
    - Fixed a bug causing VR script to not compile in unity < 2017

SRP
    - [SRP] Added support for overlapping cameras
    - [SRP] Added directive check for SSAA_HDRP for ease of installation
    - [SRP] Fixed a bug causing flipping in some HDRP scenes (requires SRP 4.5+)
    - [SRP] OLD SRP VERSIONS ARE NOT SUPPORTED ANYMORE. REQUIRES 4.5+

Known issues:
    - [SRP] Post processing stack - depth of field effect affects the alpha channel of the image buffer (affects overlapping on close ups - under investigation)

Announcing SSAA 2.0

And now to the "big announcement", a SSAA v2 is in the works. Our goal is to refactor most of the plugin in order to get better performance out of it and of course better support regarding 3rd party effects and SRP. Since the release of our SSAA plugin we've learned a lot, and unity also changed a lot.

As the plugin grew in features, it also became more bloated and harder to work on. Most of the newer features we added felt "hacked in", a lot of issues we had with the engine were worked around "just to make it work", scriptable pipelines were not even a thing back then and so on, all of this resulting in the asset being a mess underneath.

To summarize what we have in plan:
    • "Inverting" the way our plugin works: This will be the main challenge for us. Now the main camera renders at the multiplied resolution and the internal camera displays it, inverting the cameras would not only fix the issue with raycasting being offset, but also allow post processing effects to be rendered at the screen resolution instead of multiplied resolution (for example SSR).
    • Cleaning up the code that is executing every frame (currently impactful on low performance CPUs)
    • Improving the filtering shaders (quality and performance)
    • Improving and optimizing the command buffer handling, and the number of rendertextures used by the plugin in order to lower the vram usage

On a side note, there won't be a new product page or an upgrade fee or anything like that, as the main functionality and API of the plugin will stay the same, and it would be unfair to charge you all again for the same product. SSAA v2 will come as an update when it will be ready.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    hopeful likes this.
  50. EdenIndie

EdenIndie

I've just bought this asset the other day and I'm really impressed and loving the way it makes my scenes look! I have an issue when using a transparent VertexLit-2sided shader (which I think comes with the default installation of Unity, I'm using 2018.3.8f1), and some other ones as well (Ciconia Studios double sided shaders), when they are set to fade, in the first case, the textures seem to get remapped to other parts of the models for some reason, with the Ciconia ones they transparency changes. Im not using any TAA, it does have the PP2 stack, but I've turned it off. Other than that, the results are pretty amazing!