Search Unity

[RELEASED] Lux Water

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by larsbertram1, Jun 18, 2018.

1. eaque

eaque

Sorry to bother as i'm far from my computer to test....
    You never tried but does it sound technically stupid or with perf issues??
    As there are Lux demo scenes with different materials at same time i was thinking about that.....:rolleyes:

2. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

yeah, but no overlapping water surfaces.
    performance should be fine if you make sure you do not render pixels twice. so unfortunately in this case: transparents are rendered back to front, so even if you write to depth, you may produce overdraw. so kep the overlap as small as possible or consider doing something like a depth prepass.

eaque likes this.
  3. camta005

camta005

Would it be possible to calculate the direction of the gerstner waves so they always move towards a set x,z co-ordinate. You could then set the co-ordinate somewhere in the middle of the island and the waves would look more correct at the shoreline.

4. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

oh, just try to rotate the waves using the functionality provided by the material inspector: as soon as you rotate you will get jumps...

5. camta005

camta005

I have tried this and I don't mean that the x,z co-ordinate moves, just that all waves move towards a fixed location.

6. eaque

eaque

So i gave a try, it looked good from top down and from far but the transisiotn from a reg material to the ocean one shows obvious seams that can not be corrected...So navigating from one material to another seems impossible.

But now i think of this idea:
    Simply have very low waves when character is on the island and if he sails on the sea, then trigger big waves settings in real time.....??

Is it possible? will the transition from calm water to big waves be smooth if we lerp it by deltatime or something like that???

7. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

it should be. jut hit play then raise or lower the values in the material.

eaque likes this.
  8. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

i do not think that this can be done easily. but i would have to have a look into this.

eaque and camta005 like this.
  9. Fibonaccov

Fibonaccov

Hi,

Are the shaders mobile friendly? Thanks

10. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

they are fast. but if they are mobile friendly heavily depends on the features you enable.

11. Skotrap7

Skotrap7

I would really like to know this too. I'm nearing a decision point where I might have to redo all of our water is Lux is not going to support HDRP soon.

12. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

HDRP will not come soon.

13. Boemak

Boemak

Hi,

I just got your wonderful asset and I must say it looks brilliant. I have one thing, in the editor the ocean looks like it should but when I press play it looks daft. All the waves are gone.

The sample scenes work as they should and I've been trying to figure out what I am missing but am coming up empty.

Any ideas?

14. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

check the lux underwater rendering script and the height set there.

15. Boemak

Boemak

That was it, thanks. :) Awesome stuff BTW.

16. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

thnaks. glad that my random guess nailed it...

Boemak likes this.
  17. Boemak

Boemak

Psychic debugging FTW. :)

hopeful likes this.
  18. dajnooo

dajnooo

is VR supported?

19. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

underwater rendering does not work properly when it comes to vr.
    the basic water surface should render fine.

20. Game_DevKH

Game_DevKH

Can you help me set up with Aura 2? I tried looking for solution here : lux.jpg but water became pink after that

21. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

answered via email.

22. srhboo

srhboo

planar reflections on water surface are broken for me in VR (left / right eye positioning for the planar reflections do not match). any suggestions?

23. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

which vr mode do you use?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  24. srhboo

srhboo

multipass - is that what you mean?
    am developing for oculus quest

25. Mattabat

Mattabat

I have ran into a development issue i need for my project, so i need the underwater volume to be rendered at all times,(even when i am out of the water) while there is no ocean surface.
    I have managed to do this, but due to the way the water surface/watervolume mesh is made only the sides and bottom of the mesh can actually be visible. If looking from top down if i hide the ocean surface i cannot get this part of the water volume visible only if i enter it from that angle. How can i accomplish this?

26. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

when looking top down the water surface is rendered (needed by advanced deferred fog as it replaces the missing information in the depth buffer). you would have to disable the rendering of the watersurface in orde to make the bottom be rendered into the water mask and not get overwritten/hidden by the water surface.
    if you need both then you have to use 2 render targets.

27. srhboo

srhboo

wondering if you could clarify if planar reflections should work in vr or if there is a workaround?

28. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

sorry, but i am not into vr... i guess you would need 2 planar reflection textures, which would make it even more expensive so it is not really suitable for vr.
    i recommend to stay with cube map reflections.

29. srhboo

srhboo

Ok thanks for the response!

30. lucasgutierrez

lucasgutierrez

Hello,
    I'm wondering why during game mode the assets turn/look "low-poly".
    How can fix this?
    thanks in advance! :)

Game mode — low-poly meshes.jpeg

31. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

i don't know. underwater renders as image effect on top. it does not influence your geometry. :)

32. lucasgutierrez

lucasgutierrez

_
    Extrange. look when i activate Lux underwater redering.
    correct.jpeg lowpoly.jpeg

33. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

oh! it might be the caustic lighting... do you use forward rendering?
    if possible use deferred. in forward the shader has to reconstruct the normals form the depth bufferwhich leads to normals as if they were not smoothed.
    you may also disable or dim the caustics.

34. Migueljb

Migueljb

How do I make particles show up when using the planar reflection script with render shadows enabled? As soon as I turn on Render Shadows they disappear but I want to use render shadows. I even used the particle shaders that come with LUX and that still doesn't fix this. Im in Unity 2018.4.20 - standard pipeline - deferred rendering.

35. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hm, no idea. i have no problems in 2019.3.

particles.PNG

36. Migueljb

Migueljb

I had to use the nature manufacture shaders for particles for it to work. It has something to do with fade transparency with anything opaque and it shows up just fine. Using any fade type transparencies it wont show in reflection.

37. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

you mean soft partciles? right, these do not show up because the reflection camera uses an oblique projection matrix. which doesn't allow you to use any simple clipspace tricks like fog or soft particles.

38. Migueljb

Migueljb

Ya but the nature manufacture particle shaders show up like 50% of the way good enough to feel right. LUX is awesome love using it for all my scenes. I get to do so much cool stuff with water thanks to LUX your the best lars.

Attached Files:

39. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

nice scene!

40. ZoNaDak_

ZoNaDak_

hi,
    I want to express movement by moving the sea and rotating, not by the player moving.
    but, Normal map and form map seem to be rendered on a viewport basis.
    Can you tell me how to solve this problem?
    I am sending you the Gif file as well.
    I am sending you the link to Google Drive because the gif file is too big.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RAiA1yLUifZFqJJ34W4S5nuM-UdxVjtD/view?usp=sharing

Thanks.

41. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,

i am not able to open/view the gif. but i guess you run into an issue cause by the UVs being based on world space coordinates: moving or rotating will not change them... you simply may try to switch to regular uvs by checking UV Space Texture Mapping in the material inspector.

42. ZoNaDak_

ZoNaDak_

That's exactly what I wanted! Thank you so much!

43. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

you are welcome!

44. QbAnYtO

QbAnYtO

hey guys i'm seconds from buying this, but can I make BEACH WAVES? not calm lake waves. i mean the bigger beach waves with foam and all on the sand/shoreline etc. And change the color of the oceans?

Also how easy is this to use? Comes with a prefab and stuff? Like aquas? (However I tried aquas and didn’t like it. So this asset got my attention.)

lastly will this work with the built in pipeline?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  45. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

yes.
    nope.
    yes.

if you come from aquas then this will run a lot faster. a lot.
    even if there are some missing features.

46. camta005

camta005

You can get the waves looking really good on a beach, they don't crash like natural beach waves but the shoreline foam looks amazing in this asset, much better than any other water asset on the store. The main issue is the gerstner waves can only go in 1 set direction. So they look great on one side of an island or continent but are going in the wrong direction on the other side. I previously made the suggestion of having the option to have the waves move towards a fixed location, which you would set in the middle of your island or continent so the waves would look like they were coming from approximately the right direction on all sides.

I found a video of a similar idea which was a modification of the unity water4 shader:

47. mgear

mgear

Great looking water!

Any ideas to make something like: reflection fade to skybox reflection by distance?

looking for this kind of effect, when its windy, far away reflections disappear due to the waves:
    upload_2020-8-4_12-46-46.png
    *that second image is modified shader for adjusting reflection normal, based on view distance, but not really working perfectly in most cases..

photo reference, where can see it:
    upload_2020-8-4_12-48-6.png

** well now that i look these images, maybe should just use 2 different water planes, where the distant one doesnt have reflections enabled..

Quique-Martinez likes this.
  48. QbAnYtO

QbAnYtO

Larsbertram1, thanks for the answers. I love how you did the displacement for the video below but is that automatic? If its manual, would it be hard to implement? Also I noticed the moveing balls have foam trails which is GREAT but no displacement on the water its moving through. Was this intentional? I’m asking because I would like my character to move the water (displacement) as he swims through it and generate foam as well. Is this possible? I nice the dragon video a few pages back does have any displacement or foam so I’m wondering is this is optional or even possible. Thanks! (See video below)

camta05: that’s awesome, I’m wondering if I can use the waves particle plugin with this water?? This one:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/vfx/particles/environment/beach-waves-94251

I supposed we can use any particles at any place within unity. Lol

49. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

no, it uses a displacement projector. you can see the displacement and normal texture in the upper left corner of the video.
    everything you need to do so is included. even the scene from the video.
    the spheres show another feature which are foam projectors.
    of course you can combine both: foam and displacement.

50. QbAnYtO

QbAnYtO

Bro yessssss!!! So my character the move and ripple/move/displace the water around him? Thats awesome.

Ok im pretty much sold at this point. And what about mobile support to iOS example? How optimized is this?
    Can I use my own foam?
    Speaking of the foam, my foam with aquas turns into white blobs if I use depth of field. Is that an aquas issues or is this the same case with all water foams?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020