Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Lux URP Essentials

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by larsbertram1, Jul 18, 2019.

?

Does Lux URP Essentials need a Discord Server?

Poll closed Apr 29, 2021.
  1. yes - even if there was no moderator

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. no, the forum is all we need

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

dear customers,

anybody using unity's terrain and massive amounts of grass might be interested in the latest update of the advanced terrain grass package which supports URP and touch bending.

2. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Yes I was waiting for this, Thanks!

3. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

version 1.38 is available.

this time i submitted an extra package for unity 2019.3, so theoretically you do not have to import the additional urp package. however the preview of the package in the asset store looks quite strange. so please let me know if you run into any issue downloading it with 2019.1, 2019.2 or 2019.3.

### Changed:
    - URP package: Switched to URP 7.1.8
    - URP grass displacement: Added some more displacement inputs.
    ### Fixed:
    - Foliage and grass shader: LuxLWRPDistanceFadeDrawer script fixed. You have adjust your fade distance!
    - URP package: Ported optional alpha testing to the foliage and grass shader.
    ### Added:
    - Grass shader: Option to sample main bending from vertex color alpha added – which lets you use models e.g. from Naturemanufacturer.
    - Grass shader: Culling exposed.

osss and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  4. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

and i am looking into blending anything with anything – everywhere:

blended.png

ChinChiaYeh, colin299, osss and 6 others like this.
  5. Noogy

Noogy

Excellent if you can pull it off efficiently!

6. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

well, we need to look up the depth texture. and shadows are more expensive as well compared to standard opaque lit. so it's nothing you want to flood your entire scene with.

7. pixelR

pixelR

I updated from 7.1.7 to 7.1.8 and I see 2 errors after importing the 71.8 package:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets\Lux LWRP Essentials\Lux SRP Grass Displacement\Scripts\GrassDisplacementRenderFeature.cs(88,30): error CS0115: 'GrassDisplacementPass.Configure(CommandBuffer, RenderTextureDescriptor)': no suitable method found to override
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets\Lux LWRP Essentials\Lux SRP Grass Displacement\Scripts\GrassDisplacementRenderFeature.cs(196,30): error CS0115: 'GrassDisplacementPass.FrameCleanup(CommandBuffer)': no suitable method found to override

8. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hmm, runs fine for. i will have to look into it later, sorry.

9. pixelR

pixelR

No worries, take your time. I'm not using the grass feature (yet) so I just removed the related file for now.

10. Quast

Quast

After update I notes this.

Are these errors OK ?

11. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

those are no errors but warnings.
    and the shaders will take care that f will never get negative :)

Quast likes this.
  12. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hey, i just tested the lastest package.
    1. i wiped out the entire Lux LWRP Essentials folder from my project in 2019.3.0f6.
    2. i downloaded the package from the asset store and imported it: all fine. no errors.
    3. i edited my UniversalRenderingPipelineAsset and added the ForwardRenderer GrassDisplacement render (located in the folder "LUx SRP Grass Dispalcement") and set it as default.
    4. i opened the Grass Dispalcement RenderFeature Demo.

everything just works fine. no errors.
    you have to use 2019.3.0f6 to get the urp version which does not need you to import another package.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  13. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

so this is how the versatile blend shader looks like:

Quique-Martinez, Noogy and skyLark9 like this.
  14. skyLark9

skyLark9

Why you not make a video for showing all features does Lex LWRP have and put it on store page?
    Anyway, I have problem with terrain texture. I'm using "Lux Proceduarl Texturing" shader with this texture.
    https://www.imageupload.net/upload-image/2020/01/31/Ground26_col.jpg

I'm using "Base & Normal" maps. The other two maps I don't know how to make it. So, it's empty. But I can see a shinning layer on my terrain ? How to solve this problem ?

Another problem is with painting terrain. I added another texture with "Base & Normal" maps and showing nothing when painting ?

15. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

that would take me weeks...
    use an RGBA texture (instead of just an RGB one) and put smoothness into the alpha channel.
    the "procedural texturing simple" sub graph offers an output called "alpha" which gives you the blended alpha samples from the plugged in albedo texture. so you can connect this with the smoothness input of the master pbr node.
    now you are talking about the terrain shader?
    simply open the terrain demo and start painting – which works like charm.
    if you do not have assigned a combined height map to your own terrain material, uncheck "Enable Height Blend".

skyLark9 likes this.
  16. skyLark9

skyLark9

Max is week, and you tell me weeks !!
    This video will give more visual information for what this asset could do.
    I don't know well RGB/RGBA I take free texture from Net and use it.
    What I did is remove the line plug-in the smoothness and all fine.
    So, for terrain I have to use "Lit" shader,not "Lux Proceduarl Texturing".
    with "Lit" shader there is no "Proceduarl" value ?

17. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

i can hardly imagine what you can do with the shaders. a lot i guess :)
    you should get familiar with rgb and rgba. first one uses only 3 color channels fro red, green and blue.
    last one adds an alpha channel (a) which allows you to store additional information such as transparency or in our case smoothness as 8 bit value in the range of 0.0 – 1.0 or – like photoshop will display it: 0 – 255.
    not plugging anything into the smoothness input simply sets smoothness to 0.0. which more or less breaks the entire idea of physically based shading.

18. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

what does the following video tell you? PROGRAMMER'S ART!
    is it real time?
    no. my old mac book pro (gtx 750m) can not capture web m videos in real time but it runs at 60fps at full hd if i do not capture a video at the same time.
    what do i see?
    a bunch of Lux URP/LWRP shaders in action like terrain, grass, foliage, fuzz lighting and CTI URP shaders used by the trees.
    is it realistic?
    depends: grass draw distance is actually caped to 25m. but i could easily raise to to 50 or even 80 meters. it is a video...
    and i could easily increase the vertex count per grass patch to twice or even four times the current number to get nicer bending.

ChinChiaYeh and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  19. skyLark9

skyLark9

you right.
    I watched some tutorial on YouTube and started to understand RBGA. I will try also to use Materialize.
    Now let get back Proceduarl.
    In "environment scene" you using "Lit" material with five textures. Only one using "Proceduarl" and I don't know how did that ? Could do that with other textures ?
    Now, I created new panel terrain. Used "GTHNM" script to get the normal map and use it.

I notes that enable "enable procedural texture" gives me black terrain !
    what's wrong I do here ?
    ----
    This video is great and showing only few features. LW can do more.
    Thank you.

20. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

it is limited to only the first texture because procedural texturing needs you to read the texture 3 times. so in case of albedo, normal and height you get 9 additional texture samples which makes it as expensive as triplanar texturing.

skyLark9 likes this.
  21. skyLark9

skyLark9

I understand your point. It runs fine now.
    I have one more thing and I need you to check it.
    I make my mask map and when drop it I see no change on terrain texture !
    Is that it or I did something wrong with my mask map ?

Here is my texture file could you check it.
    http://www.filefactory.com/file/1033mnd2qpa3/Texture0.7z

22. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

the shader does not use the mask map: it does not fit into the texture limit on gles20.
    it supports a combined height map tho (for height based blending and parallax extrusion).
    you do not assign it ti the terrain layers but to your created terrain material using the lux lwrp terrain shader:

terrainmaterialsettings.PNG

this is were your enable/disable other features as well.

skyLark9 likes this.
  23. skyLark9

skyLark9

you right. Thank you for answering my question. It's clear now for me.

24. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

you are welcome!

25. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

Version 1.39 is available

### Changed:
    - Lux URP version: Started to wipe out the old "LWRP" naming of shaders, passes, ... . I updated the included demo materials but yours might miss their shaders. Sorry for the inconvenience.

### Added:
    - Lux URP version: Versatile Blend Shader added (experimental - looking for feedback).

### Notes:
    - Lux LWRP version will be locked to version 1.38 - unless somebody stands up.

26. Quast

Quast

Your toon shaders are really nice. Could you provide some comic shaders. Like "Borderland", "The wolve among us" and" The walking dead" styles ?

27. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

thanks, but could you be a bit more specific? which option do you miss?

28. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

Just in case you have missed the volumetrics:

tehusterr, ChinChiaYeh, Quast and 2 others like this.
  29. VermilionGames

VermilionGames

Quast likes this.
  30. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

agreed.
    borderlands 3 at least seams to not use any cell shading as far as i could see. so you should be able to create such a style using pbr or simple lighting and the toon outline shader or a sobel filter post process to add the outlines.

regarding the wolf among us: textures, the toon shader and the toon outline shader should get you pretty far already.

model from @VermilionGames post using the toon and toon outline shader.
    please note that the head does not show any outline: it uses a 2nd material and i would have to flatten the model as described in the documentation: https://docs.google.com/document/d/...azwtpzN7aOLJHvMqE/edit#heading=h.53ou43rcsxsn

comic.png

Quast and VermilionGames like this.
  31. Brady

Brady

Moving this question to the correct forum thread:

I just discovered three compiler errors when using URP/Shadergraph 7.1.7 compiling for Android GLES3:

Lux LWRP Grass.shader:380 "IN" is undefined
    Lux LWRP Billboard.shader:415 "IN" is undefined
    Lux LWRP Billboard.shader:518 "IN" is undefined

I resolved it by replacing "IN" with "input". Please advise if this was a correct change, and/or if this is a known issue with a forthcoming fix? Thanks!

32. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

will be fixed with version 1.4

Quast likes this.
  33. colin299

colin299

I just want to tell the developer everything works in unity 2020 URP new project, without any problem(at least in the editor PC platform).

It is the best URP shader asset in the asset store right now, the result looks great and works out of the box, 10/10 for sure.
    For anyone who is now reading this forum thread to decide if this asset is worth buying or not, just buy it. Even if you only need 1 shader in this asset, just buy it.
    1.png
    2.png
    3.png
    4.png

Maybe Lux URP/LWRP essentials' PBR shaders weren't developed for these kinds of non-realistic style asset, but I think it still works, to make these screenshots, I used:
    -skin shader
    -cloth shader
    -hair shader

Only the character's face skin & eye use my own custom shaders(because I have to edit normal & do custom lighting in the shader), everything else uses Lux URP/LWRP essentials' shaders.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    ChinChiaYeh and Quast like this.
  34. Brady

Brady

I had posted about this in the other forum, but it was the incorrect one. I have fixed the setup as recommended by only outputting the Lighting output to the color input of the Unlit Master node (the screenshot I've included shows the previous configuration where I was also adding together the MetaAlbedo and MetaSpecular, which I have now disconnected entirely). I'm still getting the below difference in output between PC and Android (Oculus Quest, GLES3):

On PC:

On Oculus Quest:

Here is the old setup, but as mentioned, I'm still getting the above results after having disconnected the MetaAlbedo and MetaSpecular:

Note that in the Android version, there isn't the specular highlight from the directional light that you can see in the PC version. There's just a weird blue brightness stretching off at the horizon. Any idea how I can get the same result as the top on Android?

35. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

you do not need the flat shading shader on flat surfaces at all. it will slow down rendering in this case.
    but of course flat shading should look right. i will take a look into this.

36. dkydev

dkydev

Hey, enjoying playing around with the shaders so far. I was trying to implement the terrain blend shader and the documentation mentions a GetTerrainHeightNormal script. Is that supposed to be bundled with the asset? I don't see it in the import.

Also, I tried out the versatile blend shader and so far looks really cool. Just a minor issue: it does not quite work with the water shader as seen here:

1.png 2.png

I'm sure there is an obvious explanation as to why this is happening but I haven't learned all that much about shaders, yet.

Thanks for the awesome asset and keep up the great work!

37. Quast

Quast

Hi. I was watching Seeker movement in "Vegetation Demo". If you could add a script to control the shadow of object will be good feature. Make a fade controller for a certain object in scene.

38. VermilionGames

VermilionGames

That's because the water surface is written into the depth buffer, and rendered to a texture that the blend shader uses.

39. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

Version 1.40 is available

### Fixed:
    - Fixed false input struct IN in billboard and grass shader.
    - Foliage Demo: Fixed culling of solid grass material and set it to off.
    - Volumetrics Demo: Fixed glass material.

### Added:
    - Lux URP version: Started to add help links for the HLSL shaders (located at the top of the material inspector).

Quast likes this.
  40. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

both (water and versatile blend) use the transparent queue and rely on the _CameraDepthTexture which only contains the opaque objects. so water ignores the blended rock.

41. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

you are right, it is missing in the URP package.
    you should get it if you open unity 2019.2. and download the LWRP version.
    i will add it to the URP version as well and update the package as soon as possible.

42. Brady

Brady

Thanks. What's not shown in the screenshot is that I'm also combining this with some noise routines and vertex displacement for a faceted water sort of look, which is why I'm using flat shading. But the example above is simplified so as to just expose the core of the issue and eliminate the other elements as the potential cause.

43. LBPToo

LBPToo

Unity 2019.2.18f1 After updating to 1.40 I received the following error:

Shader error in 'Lux LWRP/Lit Extended Parallax': undeclared identifier 'InitializeStandardLitSurfaceDataParallax' at line 218 (on d3d11)

Since I am not using that shader it did not interfere with the running of my app.

44. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hmm, version 1.40 only updated the urp version. which version have you been using previously?

45. Migueljb

Migueljb

Using the latest LUX URP and unity 2019.3.0f6 for oculus quest. Created a new URP template to work off. I just took the Terrain Demo and did a straight build to quest and this is what I am seeing and it was super slow to. Any ideas or ways to fix would be great but doesnt seem like unitys URP is ready for quest or LUX shaders atm it seems?

Attached Files:

46. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

that is the procedural stochastic feature that bugs: quite expensive and not recommended.
    you may however disable it.
    and urp seems to have many issues when it comes to the quest.

47. Jess_AA

Jess_AA

Hi,

Just had a quick question about the mask map for the base layer of the clear coat shader. I can't seem to get the AO to work? I'm adding my metallic and smoothness values to the correct slots of the mask map, but the AO doesn't seem to apply to the material?

48. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

i checked the LWRP version. If i enable the feature and assign a proper texture it just works fine...

49. Brady

Brady

Here's some additional data that may help inform as to what is happening. I have fixed-foveated rendering enabled now on Quest (and now you can also see the vertex displacement I mentioned that I'm using which I'd previously disabled just to demonstrate the problem in isolation) and the difference in resolution in different parts of the screen seem to create very noticeable artifacts. Namely, the higher-resolution areas of the screen toward the middle result in a dimmer result while the lower resolution it gets (further out from the center) the brighter the result gets. Of course, there shouldn't be any glowing at all as shown in the in-editor reference screenshot I provided much earlier, but the fact the glowing changes due to render resolution may help you diagnose the issue. Also you can see that the environmental (skybox) reflections are drastically different in regions with different resolutions. Unfortunately, this artifact renders the shader completely unusable, even if I were to just accept the glowy appearance instead of the desired one.

50. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

the shader relies on screen space derivatives – which may not produce proper results in this case.