Search Unity

[Released] Lordenfel: Adventure Environment Pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ManaStation, Aug 4, 2020.

1. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

I built this one just for fun.

ManaStation and Rowlan like this.
  2. ManaStation

ManaStation

Great, looks like a game already! Inspired by wonderful Resident Evil VIII, no? :) Thanks a lot for sharing! I hope to see more! :)

ScourgeGames likes this.
  3. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

Thanks!

Every game I work on is inspired by my favorite games like RE VIII. I just had to get a zombie in a dungeon for fun. I am working on a new FPS, which I'll share more of soon.

ManaStation likes this.
  4. ManaStation

ManaStation

Awesome! Looking forward to it! :)

ScourgeGames likes this.
  5. Mythran

Mythran

Will Lordenfel receive angular fort walls?
    Thanks

6. ManaStation

ManaStation

Thanks for your interest! Probably not in the near future, because we're busy with another project, but I made a note about it, thanks! Any additional requests?

7. Mythran

Mythran

No not really, thanks for asking.
    Regards

8. bitinn

bitinn

Hi,

I recently bought this pack and I have a tooling question:

How did you layout the scene in the Overgrown Ruins scene?

It has so many levels occluding each other, you must be using some tools to hide objects right?

This is more of a curiosity to be honest.

9. ManaStation

ManaStation

@bitinn
    Hi, thanks a lot for your interest and support!

No, not really :) We utilize snapping a lot, but apart from that it's pretty much a hardcore piece by piece design.

We always try to keep it as simple as possible at first, using only walls and floors to block out levels. We test it, see if it's fun to explore and make changes accordingly. When we're finally happy with the layout, we just go crazy with the ruins, columns, trims and other details.

You really shouldn't be afraid of building complex interiors, it's a lot of fun! Just accept that it's gonna look ugly for awhile, that's all :)

Found this old WIP screenshot to give you an idea (it's UE4, but still):

Let us know if you have any more questions!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    bitinn likes this.
  10. bitinn

bitinn

Thx! The pack looks pretty useful so far, the way you split material on objects are pretty convenient for us as we use world space uv material a lot.

ManaStation and mick129 like this.
  11. mick129

mick129

I agree, I am using world space a lot and tweaking Lordenfel was very easy.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    ManaStation likes this.
  12. ManaStation

ManaStation

Noted, thank you guys! :) We'll keep it in mind for sure.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    mick129 likes this.
  13. koirat

koirat

Some time ago I have bought this asset, and as much as I do like overall look of it I do have some complains related to technical stuff.
    The biggest issue so far for me is Collider and LOD3 for some objects.

For example SM_Floor_Ruined_09:

If you want to provide some ramps to a collider make it from a separate collider and don't pollute proper collider . I guess ramp is for character controller but seriously not every controller needs ramps.
    Right now I just don't have accurate collider.

LOD3 looks like it is automatically decimated version of this mesh. It just looks bad and is a bad approximation.

Now this two things could be solved at the same time. Just make LOD3 a proper approximation and use it as a collider.

And one more thing, there is no need to force yourself to make concave colliders for objects that are probably going to be static (especially when the result is not very accurate). It got it's importance when the objects are dynamic rigidbodies.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  14. ManaStation

ManaStation

Hey koirat, good to see you! Thanks a lot for the feedback!
    I can see what you mean about the ramp - if you flip the ruined floor, it becomes a problem, hm... it's obvious now, I don't know how I didn't see it before :) Thanks!

Making LODs is a nightmare. We realize that some of them could match the object a bit better, but it would make such a small difference overall, that it's just not worth it.

It's a workflow thing :) We prepare collisions for UE4 first, because it has strict rules regarding that. It doesn't take much time.

Thanks again for the feedback! I've made a few notes :)

koirat likes this.
  15. latas

latas

Anyone knows how to fix the slow movement while unity is caching the scene. It happens in the scene startup. If you look around, it freezes a couple of seconds, and then it goes.
    Thanks.

ManaStation likes this.
  16. Rowlan

Rowlan

I had that problem once in an older project. Turned out the reflection probes caused it form me. Try disabling them for a test, then you can work from there to get rid of that freeze.

ManaStation likes this.
  17. latas

latas

It worked!!! :)
    Thanks.

ManaStation likes this.
  18. ManaStation

ManaStation

Oh that's what it was? Thanks Rowlan, we'll try to fix this!

Thank you for bringing it up btw! Maybe now we can fix it.

19. koirat

koirat

What is in the alpha of albedo textures ?
    For example T_Wall_01_Albedo.

Also do you have a heightmap for used textures ?
    Or a high poly model that can be used to bake them ?

ManaStation likes this.
  20. ManaStation

ManaStation

Hey koirat! It's a heightmap, actually :) We planned to use it for vertex painting to blend between materials, but it caused too many problems, so it just sits there.
    You can extract it to use for parallax occlusion :) You're probably not gonna like the result, though :)
    Made a note to add heightmaps as separate files, so you don't have to extract them manually. Thanks for bringing our attention to it!

21. koirat

koirat

I have played with it a little.
    I had to normalize heightmap to achieve noticeable effect.

Here is the result, left is amplitude of 5, middle about 2, right no displacement.

ManaStation likes this.
  22. koirat

koirat

MI_Floor_01 has some kind of ThreeWayBlend shader with 3 different sets of textures.
    But on my floor I can see only one texture and if I mess around with settings for other textures than a first one there is no change at all.

It's in DG_Corridor_05 asset. I'm using HDRP.

ManaStation likes this.
  23. ManaStation

ManaStation

Awesome, thanks for sharing these! You can also try blurring the heightmap a bit, it will help with those rough edges you see on the left screenshot. It won't affect the details.
    Just to give you a heads up - parallax occlusion produces nasty artifacts when combined with other materials. Especially noticeable on the ruined walls.
    Uh, that one is actually set up for vertex painting then :) I believe we still use this in the demo level to blend the grass and rocky ground with the floor material. If you have Aplify Shader, you can edit it. Or just go ahead and set it to standard - if I understand correctly, you're not using vertex painting in your scenes anyway :)

24. koirat

koirat

May I ask why the heightmap starts (I assume) with color channel value 0.5 as minimum and not 0.
    I have seen this many times in different sets of textures, but I don't understand the reason behind this.
    Why it is not 0 for lowest level and 1 for highest level ?

25. ManaStation

ManaStation

Hmm, never thought about this... This is just how it's baked in Substance Designer if you don't touch the settings much :)

26. koirat

koirat

It looks like this heightmap got it's 0 (height) point at 0.5 , it is made so we can have negative and positive displacement.
    I don't know how the unity3d workflow looks like for such a textures.

27. latas

latas

Hi @ManaStation , and thanks for your support. Don't know if I'm asking for too much, but it could be possible having some of the furniture like barrels, tables, and not too much else, able to be breakable items. I don't need specific designed broken parts, I mean just the parts. So if a barrel is created using 10 wood pieces and 3 iron circles, have a model that can be split into pieces when hit it.

28. ManaStation

ManaStation

Hey @latas! Good to see you!
    Breakable props would be really nice to have indeed. Every new pack we want to have something like this and every time we decide not to do it in the end :) It's just a huge amount of work, that's the whole reason. Even though it might not look like it.
    Thanks for letting us know this is something you'd be interested in, though!

latas likes this.
  29. Rowlan

Rowlan

Any idea why in 2022.1.0b10 entering the play mode with Lordenfel in the project takes 2 minutes? Same for exiting play mode.

Edit: I took the time and created a bug report with Unity: Case 1408812

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
  30. ManaStation

ManaStation

Hey Rowlan, good to see you! :)

Thanks a lot for reporting this! We'll test it right away and let you know what we find.

31. Rowlan

Rowlan

32. benington

benington

We'd like to share the result of merging this amazing package with Volumetric Lights, to add volumetric lighting effect to several locations in this scene. The result is astonishing!

ManaStation and Kronnect like this.
  33. ManaStation

ManaStation

Fantastic! Thank you for choosing Lordenfel, the effect is really cool!

34. Vanz

Vanz

Hi ManaStation and Lordenfel folks,

I’m having an issue with baking some of your assets, here’s one example the torch prefab.

Here’s how it looks at real time,

Here’s how it looks after baking,

Some things I’ve tried or settings used:

• Torch and all objects are set to Static
    • Torch and all objects are set to Contribute GI
    • Generate Lightmaps UVs checked in Mesh Settings
    • Higher Lightmap Resolution, looks same at 40 as at 10
    • Tried different Lighting modes, Indirect, shadowmask, subtractive (want to keep subtractive)
    • Increasing bounces
    • Increasing padding
    • Change Render Face from Front to Both
    • darkened and brightened the material albedo

Here's how the UV overlap looks (note, the torch is all red),

What seems to work the best is after I add a reflection probe and tweak setting, this is the best baked version I can get, still not very good, but much better than above,

Any suggestions or ideas on how to improve the baked version would be appreciated?

The one thing I’m concerned about is how red the torch looks on the UV overlap map, are you all seeing the same on your side?

Thanks,

Vanz

35. Vanz

Vanz

other thing to note, you have lights set as Mixed, this is very performance intensive for URP and VR, I really need the lights to be Baked, not real and not mixed.

Thanks...

36. ManaStation

ManaStation

Hey Vanz! Thank you for choosing Lordenfel!
    Looks like you just need to check "Generate Lightmap UVs" for the source meshes. We have unchecked this parameter by default, because the pack took forever to import otherwise. All the setting are saved though, you won't need to set them all up from scratch.
    Please navigate to Assets > Lordenfel > Source, select all models, check "Generate Lightmap UVs" and hit apply. It's gonna take a couple of minutes to process and should bake just fine after that.

Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions!

37. Vanz

Vanz

Hi ManaStation,

That option is definitely checked, see my 3rd bullet item above of things tried.

I've checked Generate Lightmap UVs in all your assets, most look okay, but torch does not for some reason

That's quite weird as your UV Mapping looks much different than mine, I;ve even tried raising the resolution on just the torch asset.

Your torch in your view also looks pretty pale/flat, any chance you could do a screen side comparison of real lights vs. baked lights on the same torch (not vs. mixed please, that will look same as real)?

Vanz

38. ManaStation

ManaStation

Hey Vanz! I apologize for the delay.

That's very weird indeed. Hm... there's not much you can try there really, checking Lightmap UVs is literally all you have to do.

Sure! I added color grading too, just so it looks closer to your scene (it's something you would do in the final version anyway).

It's really hard to tell what's going on on your side without digging into the actual scene.
    If you want, you can ZIP up the scene and send it to us at (manastation3d@gmail.com). That would be Right Click on the scene fine, Export Package and check Include Dependencies. We'll take a look :)

Looking forward to hearing from you!

39. Rowlan

Rowlan

Lordenfel & Infinity PBR assets mix quite nice:

ManaStation likes this.
  40. ManaStation

ManaStation

Hey Rowlan, good to see you man! :)
    Thanks for sharing the tests! The devil and the skeleton fit particularly well, I think :) And that was an interesting place for the cobra, too - looked like a boss in a metroidvania game.

UPDATE: Just realized this was for your new asset. Congratulations! Hope it works out really well!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    Rowlan likes this.
  41. Vanz

Vanz

Thanks ManaStation, it looks like you are seeing similar results, your baked torch light holder looks way different and worse than the real time version (in my opinion). All of your other assets I find look similar from real time to baked except the torch light holder, it just looks awful when I bake it but great when in real time.

I've played with so many settings and still can't get it to look decent, if there are any few settings or things to do that you think can make it look better would be appreciated. The biggest difference maker for me was the reflection probe and some of the reflection probe settings, any other things you could recommend would be highly appreciated.

Thanks again,

V

42. ManaStation

ManaStation

Yeah, it doesn't look good in baked mode :) I'll do some tests later and will let you know if I find anything that would help. But to be honest, I think the point light ruins it just by being right in front of it.

43. majidarif

majidarif

Is there a dungen or dungeon architect template/theme for this asset? :)

44. ManaStation

ManaStation

Hey! Thanks for your interest! Yes, there's a theme for both DunGen and DA. Please note that it's a Souls-like dungeon (not for Top-Down games).

45. latas

latas

Hi friends, I'd like to ask you something. Designing my level with Lordenfel, I see most of the dungeon rooms, are not very big and in many cases maybe the use of LOD has no sense. My question is regarding the memory amount my dungeon is consuming. It could be possible having a set of lordenfel assets without LOD in the fbx models to reduce the size? Is there any workaround to process this in Batch with some script?

Thanks.

46. ManaStation

ManaStation

Hi latas! Sorry I missed you post somehow. You can use mesh combiner plugins, there is a lot of those available on Asset Store. But to be honest, I wouldn't bother :) Just let occlusion culling do the hard work for you - it will hide the objects that are not visible at any moment.

47. latas

latas

I Know what you mean about occlusion culling, and in fact I'm using it with good results. My problem is about memory. I want to load the complete level at a time. I do this because I'm not able to do an additive of some part of the level without getting a freezing for some time. I'm developing currently targeting for console, and memory is more limited than in PC.
    Do you understand why I tell you this?

48. ManaStation

ManaStation

I see :) Then yes, the best option would be to use mesh combiners. I've tested a few, they work pretty well. And I believe there are some free options on Asset Store if you want to test how it works. Hope you'll be able to fix the freezing!

49. dmpdesign

dmpdesign

Fantastic set, wonder if you would do commission work to add a few parts? Id be more than happy to fund them and you can add them to the pack to increase its value, off the top of my head id love to see some parts that allow you to build broken/partial bridges on the 8/10m bridge parts with partial arches. Right now I am trying to retro fit portions of the fortress walls but its just causing me to have a huge base to get it attached and messing with my scene set up. Please let me know if you are interested in expanding this set. Thanks!

Attached Files:

ManaStation likes this.
  50. ManaStation

ManaStation

Thank you for the kind words! Glad you like the pack!
    Sadly, we don't do custom work. The pack already took way too much time and we're working on other things now.
    Hope you'll be able to find a good artist for the job, though! Thanks again!