Search Unity

[Released] Lordenfel: Adventure Environment Pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ManaStation, Aug 4, 2020.

1. ManaStation

ManaStation

Lordenfel is a modular environment pack designed to build castles, dungeons, ruins and natural areas.

Works for:
    Places to explore and fight monsters, like castles, fortresses, dungeons, forsaken places, ruins etc.

Doesn't work for:
    Villages, towns, places where people live.

Q: Can I build a castle that is not ruined?
    A: Yes. The pack contains a complete set of non-ruined objects. Ruins are a big part of this pack, but you don't have to use them at all.

• Intended for PC/Console platforms;
    • Includes Built-In, URP and HDRP versions
    • Requires Unity 2019.4 and up;
    • Most textures are 2048x2048;
    • 2 LODs for most meshes;

Please feel free to ask us any questions!
    Your feedback, requests and comments are very welcome!

HDRP screenshots (real time lighting)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    olavrv, StevenPicard, Rowlan and 5 others like this.
  2. camta005

camta005

Wow looks amazing!

Are there many pre-built sections like rooms setup as prefabs?

3. ManaStation

ManaStation

Thank you! :)
    Not at the moment, but we are literally working on it right now :)
    Any specific requests, while we are adding stuff? Do you need mostly interior parts, or top-down, or outdoor?

4. camta005

camta005

Cool, outdoor ruins and indoor rooms would be great. Bascially what is in the promos is awesome. Some ruins and rooms with matching doorways would be good, so they can be used in DunGen.

5. ManaStation

ManaStation

Thanks! We'll do our best! :) It will probably take a couple of weeks to release the first part though, I hope you're alright with that. There is a lot of work to be done there.

6. camta005

camta005

Take all the time you need :) It looks like a really solid base to work with and I'll be picking it up this pay for sure!

7. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

Some of the objects coming to Lordenfel soon (there is way more):

StevenPicard, Rowlan and camta005 like this.
  8. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

An awesome asset pack. Great work!

Mana-Station likes this.
  9. camta005

camta005

I have been playing around with both demos using the Built-In version in Unity 2018.4 LTS and everything works perfectly, which is great because I didn't want to update this project to a later Unity version.

I've been trying for years to get something like this, the quality here is amazing, well done! Even the wooden fences look sensational :)

Mana-Station likes this.
  10. ManaStation

ManaStation

Thanks man! :) Always happy too see you! :)

Thanks a lot for your support! :) We're glad to hear everything works fine! You might be the only one who has Lordenfel 2018.4 version ;)

camta005 likes this.
  11. camta005

camta005

Just a small suggestion, the wooden doors have small gaps between the wood which causes white flickering when looking at the door from inside looking towards the lighter outside. Any chance of of a version of these doors with no gaps?

12. ManaStation

ManaStation

@camta005 Sure, that's doable :) Thanks for the suggestion.

camta005 likes this.
  13. bradbecker

bradbecker

Looks great. Does it combine well with your other environment packs?

14. ManaStation

ManaStation

Thanks for your interest! I'm afraid it does not combine well with our other packs. We didn't have the necessary skills when we first started, so we slowly transitioned from a hand-painted style to a realistic one. Lordenfel will work better with other realistic assets and megascans.

TeagansDad and knxrb like this.
  15. koirat

koirat

Looks very good.

So I have stumbled upon video from UE4 showcase of this asset.
    Is the difference between unity3d and UE4 so radical ?
    I just cannot believe how "flat" is unity3d to UE4.
    Now this asset might be actually a good comparison test between those two. It would be nice for someone good with graphics side of unity3d to try make it look like UE4.

UE4

Unity3d

16. camta005

camta005

I would say the Unreal video looks slightly better than the Unity video but let's be sure here, both videos look amazing. I think the main difference is the post processing settings, particularly the tone mapping / color grading.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  17. ManaStation

ManaStation

@koirat @camta005
    Thank you guys for the interest and kind words! :)
    The reason for such a radical difference is actually pretty simple - lighting is properly baked in UE4 and Unity version is stuck with real time model. We were unable to get baked lighting in Unity - we tried an RTX card, an asset called Bakery and all native lightmappers, of course. We tried to reduce the quality to the ground, but nothing helped.

I'm pretty sure i'ts a temporary situation, the GPU lightmapper is getting improved, Nvidia works on a real time RTX solution - I think we just have to wait and see. We managed to bake a small portion of the demo level and it looked pretty good.

camta005 likes this.
  18. koirat

koirat

You must be joking UE4 kills Unity3d in this demo and it's nothing about postprocessing. Those videos that I have linked. When you play them they start some seconds forward, run them and instantly press pause look at the gate with wooden door on the right side of both screens.

Also notice that in UE4 there are some water ponds in the beginning that are completely missing in unity3d version.

It was crashing or something ? You might reconsider reporting it, the situation right now don't look good for unity3d from marketing standpoint.

19. ManaStation

ManaStation

I think @camta005 is just being nice to us (which is appreciated) :)
    We are fully aware that UE4 demo looks better. And there is a way to get baked lighting in Unity too, it just takes 2 days to complete in case of this demo. We just can't ask people to rely on that :)

It falls back to CPU lightmapper which takes forever to render the scene.

20. Tim-Wiese

Tim-Wiese

Bought the pack.
    Quality is solid. Easy enough to switch over to standard/UBER. I found the LOD’s to be fine too. However, it’d be helpful if the materials would compress down in the low LODs. Ie: The ruin prefabs contain up to 8 materials but don’t lower the material count as it LODs. Visually, you won’t see the textures however you’ll see 8 material calls hit your performance. To go through this by hand will be a pain so hopefully this is something you guys can adjust in an update.
    I’m still digging into this pack and happy with the quality so far.
    Keep it up!
    B

Ps What is the purpose of the unique materials that are on the brick walls?

21. ManaStation

ManaStation

Thank you very much for your support! :)
    The technique you're describing is used quite often in games, we'll see what we can do.

Thank you :) We're working on a lot of stuff that will make your life easier - more ruins, room presets etc.

You can vertex paint them, it helps to break up repetitiveness and achieve a more realistic look. Unfortunately, we couldn't find a vertex paint tool that would work on LODs, so you won't see a lot of that in the demo. We kept the layers anyway, so you could opt to remove LODs and use this functionality anyway. Of course, there is hope that Unity will finally learn to work with LODs or just make them obsolete one of these days ;)

22. camta005

camta005

Great new update, I'm currently testing the DunGen integration.

Just a quick note the Polybrush package needs to be installed or some of the pre-built rooms have missing meshes and scripts for lod0, mainly floors.

23. ManaStation

ManaStation

@camta005 Thanks a lot!
    I knew something was bound to go wrong with this vertex paint :) Thank you for reporting it, probably gonna remove it after all - just doesn't worth the trouble.

camta005 likes this.
  24. camta005

camta005

I've been doing some comparisons with and with out the polybrush meshes and it looks so good with them. I also tested a new dungeon and there were no problems in the build with the polybrush meshes. I would vote to keep it just put a note in the readme to install the polybrush package along with the post processing package.

25. ManaStation

ManaStation

Thanks! :) Yeah, we've done some tests as well, it kinda needs that vertex paint. We're probably gonna keep it in the setup scene, but it has to be removed from the prefabs.

camta005 likes this.
  26. camta005

camta005

It still looks great when removed, just the grass in some places looks a bit strange with no dirt under it.

The DunGen inegration is working really well, and after baking the occlusion culling I'm getting 200+ fps for a large dungeon.

27. Rowlan

Rowlan

I've been toying around with this asset yesterday and did some test mixes with the Malbes assets. I have to say this asset is very awesome. Especially in HDRP:

b3.jpg
    uk2.jpg
    uk4.jpg
    a3.jpg

This is really fun to work with. I love the ambience :)

28. KeithBrown

KeithBrown

I just picked it up this morning because I figured it wouldn't go on sale for awhile. Not watch it be on the big sale in November!

I have had little time to play with it but it is definitely nice looking and will work great with my existing geometry.

29. koirat

koirat

I would so much like to know how it would look with baked lighting and what fps it got compared to UE4 version.

30. ManaStation

ManaStation

Hey! Thanks a lot for posting these! Looks like a real game with the characters in it.

Thanks for purchasing! We hope you're gonna like working with the asset!

Oh, we would like to know that too :) We were unable to bake lighting in Unity - GPU Lightmapper falls back to CPU and shows "2 days" in estimated time. Unity does improve the Lightmapper though, we'll see.
    After all, we managed to get the lighting we like and it's so much easier to work with real time model.

TeagansDad likes this.
  31. Rowlan

Rowlan

Yeah, I tried it as well. But 2 days is just too long :D

However, I'm quite happy with how it looks and with the performance. The details are amazing. From below and above:

attack 3.jpg
    irval 4.jpg

32. Rowlan

Rowlan

dxr a.jpg
    dxr b.jpg
    dxr c.jpg
    dxr d.jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  33. koirat

koirat

Rowlan What is the source for ambient light in your examples.
    Do you disable some lights (like outside lights) for this indoor shots ?

34. Rowlan

Rowlan

No, I just changed the exposure. And I added DoF. In some I addded Chromatic Aberration. And I also changed Shadow Midtones in some. So it's basically all still experiments.

35. ManaStation

ManaStation

@Rowlan Hey! Thanks for sharing these great screenshots and putting all this effort into making DXR work! Pretty interesting results. It doesn't actually add this much, does it? I don't mean this bad :) Just sounds like good news to us :)

36. Rowlan

Rowlan

Apologies I screwed up the DXR setup. It was actually not fully active, so I removed that information. It was all still HDRP. Still working on it, Unity has some bug which I need to clarify first. It's all alpha/beta after all, but I really like to see how it looks like. So it's coming :D

37. Rowlan

Rowlan

These are now DXR shots. Mostly noticable because of the light. I should add puddles and such for reflection. I also added DoF. Not sure if it's suitable in a game, was just a test.

rt09.jpg
    rt08.jpg
    rt01.jpg
    rt06.jpg
    rt04.jpg

camta005 and Antypodish like this.
  38. Rowlan

Rowlan

I've seen the UE demo video and that contained puddles. So I tried to do the same using MicroSplat.

Before:

default.jpg
    With Puddles:

puddles.jpg

39. ManaStation

ManaStation

@Rowlan Loving the screenshots! Thanks again for all this effort, can't get enough of these pictures! :)

Rowlan likes this.
  40. Artomiano

Artomiano

41. Rowlan

Rowlan

It's really an excellent asset. I added dustmotes from Book of the Dead and notice it adds a certain volume to the overall scene.

By the way, the new HDRP default scene contains several nice VFX graphs: falling leaves, butterflies and dustmotes. I had to integrate them :D

Maybe out of scope for this asset, but if you extend it more towards VFX and such, maybe spiders and spider webs in the dungeons could be nice. And of course outside other stuff like bushes blowing in the wind and so on. But that might also be an entirely different asset to integrate :D

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  42. ManaStation

ManaStation

@Artomiano Thank you for the suggestions! Those are very nice references. Discord is planned for later :)

@Rowlan The particles do liven up the scene for sure! Something we should think about. Thanks a lot for sharing!

43. Rowlan

Rowlan

I wanted to try the dungeons, so I purchased the Infinity PBR Humble Bundle for the spider. Creepy awesome combination imo :D

creepy spider 6.jpg
    Scale is just a number :D

creepy spider 1.jpg

By the way, that's Standard Pipeline. I'm impressed by the Lordenfel gfx :)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    Mana-Station and camta005 like this.
  44. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

Oh, I agree, pretty cool! Instantly reminds me of Bloodborne :) Thanks a lot for sharing! :)

45. koirat

koirat

Does prefabs of this asset contains simplified physical representation ?

46. ManaStation

ManaStation

Hey @koirat! Thanks for your interest! All prefabs come with handcrafted collisions, split to convex parts for better performance.

koirat likes this.
  47. Rowlan

Rowlan

By the way performance: I noticed that the lights in the dungeons don't have shadows enabled. Is that on purpose? The picture above with the 2 spiders gets much more atmosphere with shadows enabled.

48. ManaStation

ManaStation

Yeah, that's on purpose :) Real-time shadows are pretty expensive, although I agree they look great. Good thing is it's real easy to turn them back on in the prefab (they re-appear everywhere).

Rowlan likes this.
  49. Rowlan

Rowlan

Here's a more peaceful exploration than with gigantic spiders & dragons :D

ManaStation and camta005 like this.
  50. ManaStation

ManaStation

Awesome stuff man! Thanks a lot for making this! I thought it was a sleeping bear at first :)

Rowlan likes this.