Search Unity

[RELEASED] "Logic Forge" 1.2 Code Generation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by winxalex, Oct 13, 2018.

1. winxalex

winxalex

2. DavidLe360

DavidLe360

Hi, i just both the asset, after watching carefully the videos. The concept looks really good!! And it's different of other visual scripting on the asset store. One of the interesting feature is the Formula: it is a very good solution for having complex expressions without a tons of little nodes on the graph.

I hope, with this tool, i still be able to apply the "Game Architecture with Scriptable Objects", demonstrated by Ryan Hipple in this video

EDIT: the crash is solved, by following the instruction by @newMember above, thanks.

Original:
    But for now, some bad luck: i don't know why, it makes Unity crash often. I'm using 2019.3.2f1. The last crash is when i try to add the Transform Component in the LF editor:
    upload_2020-2-25_20-11-5.png

(Sorry for my english :-D )

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    theRealWinxAlex likes this.
  3. DavidLe360

DavidLe360

Well, it crashed again. When clicking on one of the input an LF component, in the LF editor. Maybe is not working with Unity 2019.3.2f1 yet?

Tried with Unity 2019.2.21f1: it crash when open the demo HellowWorld scene.

the project/setting/player is set to .net 4.x.

4. DavidLe360

DavidLe360

some thing weird: it crash when i change the the Layout to an other one, for example to Default, then open the scene, unity crash.

I suspect the Logic Editor window has some thing that crash Unity, when it (the Logic Editor) try to reopen/refresh.

Googled about "Unity Layout crash", looks like is a bug from Unity :https://forum.unity.com/threads/crashes-when-changing-layout.351278/

Thing is, My Unity never crash with others assets installed.

(Unity 2019.2.21f1)

5. newMember

newMember

I will try to reproduce your issue, but now i have an assumption, that Hello world might be done in previous version of the asset when Odin Serializer was used. Now LF is utilizing Unity serializer by default. Projects which were done with Odin are not compatible with Unity default serializer and vice versa

UPD. I've tested new version of the asset in Unity 2019.2.21f1 and Unity 2019.3.1f1 and didn't noticed any crashes when doing regular actions, or changing layouts and etc. But Hello world is crashing, but i believe it is due to reason i've mentioned above.

If you have any questions, please be free to ask.

6. DavidLe360

DavidLe360

Hi @newMember , thank you for your response.

1. i did'nt use the Hello World that came with the asset. I was trying to create my "Hello world" alongside with the video tutorial. Then i decided to change the Layout and that happen.

2. hmm, you gave me an idea: maybe if i delete the original example "Hello Wold" folder. I Will come back with that.

Btw, i have restart my pc, upgrade the graphic card. Just in case. But didn't solve the issue.

And also, as long as i don't change/switch the layout, then "the Logic Forge is with me" :)

Edit: is no more true what i said (on the line above). Unity crash when i just clicked on an Component in the LF Editor, to change a value of a text field.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  7. DavidLe360

DavidLe360

So, deleting the original "Hello World" folder doesn't resolve.

Also crash when: a connection line was delete, making some changes on a node, then trying to reconnect the line:
    upload_2020-2-26_21-5-12.png

(is not the "Hello world" scene from the asset, is my new one practicing with the video tutorial).

8. DavidLe360

DavidLe360

And for the following error when install the asset:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    2. Parameter name: key
    3. System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue].TryInsert (TKey key, TValue value, System.Collections.Generic.InsertionBehavior behavior) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    4. System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue].set_Item (TKey key, TValue value) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    5. ws.winx.unity.core.data.SerializableDictionaryBase`3[TKey,TValue,TValueStorage].OnAfterDeserialize () (at Assets/WinxProduction/ws/winx/unity/core/data/SerializableDictionary.cs:62)
    i guess, we just ignore it?

9. DavidLe360

DavidLe360

Just installed newly Unity 2019.3.3f1. And some kinda of random crash again. This time, after changing the layout, then clicking on a component in LF Editor:
    upload_2020-2-26_22-3-13.png

Here is that scene, in case you want to reproduce.

10. DavidLe360

DavidLe360

for the scene i attached in the previous post, i forgot to set the .net to 4x. But event after setting it to .net 4x., and with "Unsaved code" allowed, same crash happen again.
    upload_2020-2-26_22-26-11.png

11. newMember

newMember

They break asset store again...

upload_2020-2-27_10-35-59.png upload_2020-2-27_10-36-13.png

12. newMember

newMember

It is okay

Today i open Unity and don't have any crashes when open hello world from the package as i had yesterday. Also your package doesn't cause a crash when i imported it in project where i had LF which was imported before. But in clean project i don't see components in logic editor (there was some error with resources). Now asset store is broken and i can't to download package from there, but i will send you version that i have on my pc in conversation. Please don't attach full code there, because this is a public place.

Also you may try not to import ThridPartyDLL, Docs or Hello World scene.

It works for me, but you mentioned a problem with layouts. I noticed it too, but only with StateMachine Edtor

13. DavidLe360

DavidLe360

ok, gonna test it now. Thanks :)

What u mean: "Please don't attach full code there" ?

14. DavidLe360

DavidLe360

test result of your attached package: same problem:
    upload_2020-2-27_12-24-39.png

15. DavidLe360

DavidLe360

:):) Ok the problem is solved. @newMember sended me the fix! Amazing and thanks!

16. newMember

newMember

Congratulations!

17. DavidLe360

DavidLe360

Hi, how to get/set a Serialized and privates field of a component ( that component was been dragged from inspector into LF)?

18. newMember

newMember

Workflow is wrong cause private is set private so it is not accessed from outside. But If you really want and Component is MonoBehaviour create public getter which returns your private filed.

If is UnityComponent, create MonoBehaviour, create public getter which returns (cast)typeof(UnityComponent).GetField(“nameoftheprivatefiled”,BindingFlags.Instance|BindingFlags.NonPublic);

19. DavidLe360

DavidLe360

hi, Question relate to the example '12a - Text Interactions' of textMeshPro (Assets/TextMesh Pro/Examples & Extras/Scenes/12a - Text Interactions.unity) :

1. I need to catch the datas that show in the log when the mouse is over a text.

My guess Is that those data are from the component 'TMP_TextEventHandler' of the game object 'TextMeshPro':
    upload_2020-5-1_13-5-36.png

But i was struggle get data from one the event. for instance, the 'On Word Selection (String, Int32, Int32)'

Here is what I have tried: I drag the ''TMP_TextEventHandler" component in the LG graph as show:
    upload_2020-5-1_13-15-31.png
    But it doesn't seem to works: nothing happen in the LG graph when the mouse is over a text.

20. theRealWinxAlex

theRealWinxAlex

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class MyTextEventHandlerMono:MonoBehaviour{
    2.  //we use getters so know that is are outputs
    3.         int _position;
    4.         public int position
    5.         {
    6.             get
    7.             {
    8.                 return _position;
    9.             }
    10.         }
    13.         char _myChar;
    14.         public char myChar
    15.         {
    16.             get
    17.             {
    18.                 return _myChar;
    20.             }
    21.         }
    23.         bool _ready;
    25.         public bool ready
    26.         {
    27.             get
    28.             {
    29.                 return _ready;
    30.             }
    31.         }
    38.         public handleOnCharacterSelection(char c, int pos)
    39.         {
    40.             this._myChar = c;
    41.             this._position = pos;
    42.             this._ready = true;//reset onMouseUp or somethin....
    43.         }
    46. }
    Yes you dragged it but your custom Monobehaviour script doesn't producing any output.
    You have dropped into LG dough, and used its reference to send to a variable???
    (This is more of general Unity understanding)
    1) You need to add handler/listener function into another script,which will handle event ex. OnCharacterSelection when rise. You can use (+) to assign it.
    2) In your "another script" you will add 2 public variables. One of type bool ("selected") and one/more of type/s what ever you want pass/output from, what you have got from the event. ex.OnCharacterSelection is returning Char and Int32, char selected I guess and position in string( so +2 public variables).
    3) Now in handler function you will set those variables and as last set "ready" variable to true.
    4)Now you can drop this Script inside LG. Now you have outputs and "ready" to "clock" next component in line when data is ready.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  21. DavidLe360

DavidLe360

Yea, that was I thought as solution, but was curious if there is another way with LF, without having to create a another script to "show up" data so LF can see it.

But thx.

Btw, the more I learn to know LF, the more I love it. I even thinking not using 2 other visual tool (uNode and NodeCanvas) and use only LF (is more easy for the brain to not switching to different tools/concepts). Or maybe just use the other 2 only for things LF can't not do.

I will write a review, for sure, once I'll be more familiar with LF. Cz, I thing more people should know it. And hope it continues to develop and add more features (like adding comments on the LF graph, etc).

Also, I wondering if is worth to make a, some kind of, trial version: to give ppls a chance to discover this tool.

Have a nice day

22. theRealWinxAlex

theRealWinxAlex

I've show you universal solution, which works even with custom events created by extension of UnityEvent class.
    LG has Listen Event node/component which you can use, with most of Unity events. It is great for learning events/messages, but is already overcrowded handling lot of Unity events, and handling TextMeshPro events will be...
    The problem is crazy Unity events design. Like to write handler OnTriggerStay or OnPointerEnter, hooked by name, vs for example in Button component UI.Button.ButtonClickedEvent onClick, where you can do buttonEvent.AddListener(handler).... modern and cool way to do things, and which is most important you can hook or unhook on the event, or hook where you want, and how many times you want....

I'm very pleased that you like it. Feedback or sharing youtube is great, add gives me wind in back.

LF graph asset was planned to be loaded runtime. Sometimes people forget about size and one char is 2B data. You can add name of your component/mode, short text 20chars to write what is doing. If you still need comment node is very easy to do it by yourself. The power of LF is you don't need to be rocket scientist, need to decompile asset DLL you already pay, and so on, to create ur nodes.

DavidLe360 likes this.
  23. DavidLe360

DavidLe360

Hi, I can't download files linked on the videos on youtube. It say: ''...doesn't have access to this content on Bitbucket.''

24. theRealWinxAlex

theRealWinxAlex

001.JPG New design.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    StevenPicard and DavidLe360 like this.
  25. theRealWinxAlex

theRealWinxAlex

You need git client, like SourceTree and need to send me your email to give you access.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  26. DavidLe360

DavidLe360

Nice UI!
    - Hope it also has, some thing like arrows, that flow from the beginning of a connection line to it end. Some thing like this:
    upload_2020-5-5_15-43-35.png
    - And, a way to: leave a trace that indicate witch connection/path has been taking.

That would help a lot for debugging.

(The Screen Capture is from the free asset 'Event Visualizer').

27. theRealWinxAlex

theRealWinxAlex

StateMachine graphs, Logic graphs, Models(Variable containers), Events .... are ScriptableObjects. Why? Number one. it is Unity Technology and will be supported, second you can share them. Like draw one StateMachine and use multiply times in same or other project.
    I could use JSON. But for example Logic you can drop other assets like Prefab, Material, AnimationClip, Sound .....
    I could create also custom binary serialization (use Odin or other)...., but to which extent is compatible with Unity, with AssetBundles, Prefabs and else is question and lot of headache later.

28. DavidLe360

DavidLe360

OMG, i'm struggle to get this simple 'UnityEngine.Input.mousePosition' in LF!!

Here is where I try to achieve:
    Physics.Raycast(cam.ScreenPointToRay(Input.mousePosition), out hit)

And what i got for now:
    upload_2020-5-16_16-46-27.png

Now, how to give to that input the position: Input.mousePosition ?

I have tried every command on this menu:
    upload_2020-5-16_16-50-14.png

Also, I am confuse what is the difference items, in "Function" and "More..."

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  29. DavidLe360

DavidLe360

Btw, I play around with LF and Unode (an other Visual Scripting), and they both have their strength... But I tend to preferer LF, mostly bcz it seems to be more easy (once we understand it), less nodes to place on the graph to accomplish the same functionality. But LF doesn't have (maybe and hope it will in future) one powerful feature Unode has: the c# code parser.

30. DavidLe360

DavidLe360

And, maybe a feature request: be able to use the do (.) when searching, for example when looking for "input.mousePosition", the search UI auto adjust the items, some thing like this:
    upload_2020-5-16_17-45-15.png

31. theRealWinxAlex

theRealWinxAlex

MoreComponents.jpg
    UnityEngine.Input class and Input component in LF is not the same thing.
    Unity input actions work on axis X,Y,Z...
    You can bind key, joystick or mouse on positive or negative part of the axis.
    If we bind mouse0 on positive axis and you select [Analog], it will gives you values from decimal values rising 0.0 to 1.0 (there are some settings how you regulate the rising speed and so on...+ you have curve if you want to process even more).while you holding the button. If you select[Down] it will return "true" when you click and next frame will return to "false".
    If you chose [Hold] it will keep "true" while ur holding. If you use [Toggle] it will gives u "true" on first click, next click "false", then true and so on.
    Same is if you bind keys or joysticks(where you are pushing the stick :))
    Clipboard02.jpg

Difference between Function and More option in menu is that menu contains shortcuts to most used components plus
    More which open Search window for other LF components, plus all Unity Components, plus all your custom components(You don't need to drag custom scripts from Inspector you can drag it from Project Window or select here in search window), plus you can create new Script.

P.S If you want to covert float(decimal values) to Vector3 or back, Use Vector3Component,......

32. theRealWinxAlex

theRealWinxAlex

Include the InputLegacyModule DLL, Assembly, Module. (check the box).(Why searching on all Unity? if you use some)
    Now functions(getters are also functions) AssemblySettings.jpg AssemblySettings2IncludeInput.jpg from UnityEngine.Input class will be accessible to you by Function Component.

DavidLe360 likes this.
  33. theRealWinxAlex

theRealWinxAlex

Maybe taking the code and converting to nodes is good for learning and experimenting on someones simple code. But if you are don't know how to code, I think is better approach you draw nodes and see what that nodes generate as code instead of vice versa. Second, even if you are seasoned programmer and you use some library (thousand of lines of code), most of the time you use it as black box,need to know what is input and what is the output, you won't dig to single line how its done. Like you drop custom Behavior in LF. LF creates you one node, no matter how complex code is inside.(What will the benefit of creating huge graph up to the variable assignment?

DavidLe360 likes this.
  34. theRealWinxAlex

theRealWinxAlex

The balls made one asset so loved by Unity so they bought it. :). If we visualize data transfer let think how usable are they, beside how customer feels :). Used in Event visualizer open source lib is great example where are super useful. Why? Cause Events most the time happened in human visible time. LF have 2 icons on Invoke and Listen Event components Invoke.png Listen.png , that I planned to animate :)
    Now if you have components that work at 60fps, will pass from on to another quite fast. If you have cycles components like for, while and they loop at CPU loop, the data will be fast and the balls too :). I tried to show more data on the nodes and more functionality, now doing makeup and maybe even balls.

DavidLe360 likes this.
  35. DavidLe360

DavidLe360

Usefull Info, thanks.

And btw, I know you are pretty busy, But I think when LF gonna have a good documentation, It gonna be +++ :)

EDIT: sorry, I just learned: there is documentation:
    upload_2020-5-23_22-26-51.png
    :)

although, it has already many vids tuto.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  36. DavidLe360

DavidLe360

Yeaa, I got it works. Thanks

But that 'AssemblySettings' asset, is good to know now that we can turn on off Unity stuffs.

Also, It would be great with a search input field, to quickly find some thing it that non ordered list. :)

37. DavidLe360

DavidLe360

WOW, that means, we can use any Unity stuff just using that LF function component!! Amazing then.

lol, now I start to understand what u mean in previous conversations.

This feature must also be clearly demonstrate in a LF features video, showing that:
    - we can select 'AssemblySettings' asset (in 'Assets/WinxProduction/Editor/Editor Default Resources/logics/Settings')
    - Then in the inspector ppls can turn on-off stuff.

Because by mentioning that feature only by text, I don't think many peoples will get it and miss a very good feature.

38. DavidLe360

DavidLe360

Just an idea, I don't know if is hard to make, but LF should have a kind of trial version (with some limitation, like Arbor 3), so people have a chance to see how useful and amazing could be LF's features.

There are many Visual Scripting, I think, is good to give peoples a chance to try it them self, then to be impressed :)

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  39. DavidLe360

DavidLe360

I Try to add 'Physic Raycaster' component, but nothing added to the LF graph (and some others too). It works for 'Graphic Racycaster' tho.
    upload_2020-5-24_7-40-12.png

40. DavidLe360

DavidLe360

I tried to make this simple 'Camera.ScreenToWorldPoint' like this:

As you can see, nothing in the list for 'ScreenToWorldPoint'. What do i do wrong?

Attached Files:

41. DavidLe360

DavidLe360

OK, i just finished the 'Light On Off' example and here is what I think (in comparison with other Visual Scripting):

1. FSM is way to complicate. Very easy to get loss. And this is only for 2 buttons.
    2. (UPDATE: see next post) There no flow indication on the graph showing what happen when user click on a button, for example. Would be hard to debug.

Event that LF is more pluggable, etc. (as mentioned in previous posts).

I think you have to use LF Sate Machine many times and understand/mastering the concept, to know exactly what component (and setting) you have to add on different GameObject to make your State machine works. As new and beginner user, I must say, it's scary.

There must be away to make it more easy and intuitive. User activities should stay, as possible, on the graph: don't need to jump on different Game Object to insert components, etc. Kind of like Arbor 3 Asset: even for the input fields for user to interact, they are almost all on the nodes, so almost no need to even touch the Inspector.

But LF is still young, and it's already pretty powerful. I have many hope for this Asset, mainly because of the use of Scriptable Object to plug in things, and this is, if I'm not wrong, essential for things to be interchangeable (easily?), for a project to be expandable/manageable when it grows. But for the FSM work flow ..., OMG ..., hope there is place for improvement :). Or maybe not: is the price to pay for been interchangeable, etc. ?? Hope is not true.

(Again, I am still a new Unity user, so from some one else, the experience could be totally different). :)

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  42. DavidLe360

DavidLe360

Update: to see graphically the activities of the FSM, click on 'Autolive Link'.

[ ] It would be nice, if there is a kind of global log or activities indication that show what happen, for example, a button is click. like the 'Event Visualizer' asset. Btw, that 'Event Visualizer' doesn't show LF FSM events, i was hoping it does. That would be awesome :)

43. theRealWinxAlex

theRealWinxAlex

You can select Node and hit "F1"

44. theRealWinxAlex

theRealWinxAlex

You have write "Camera" with such big letters :) but you are dragging GameObject containing the Camera Component. CameraDragComponent.jpg CameraFunctionSelect.jpg CameraFunctionSearch.jpg

45. theRealWinxAlex

theRealWinxAlex

I think all your headaches was caused by enabling "Auto Live Link" in MachineEditor and also LogicEditor. (You have the same also in Mecanim). This makes your graph live and state-changes/shows bunch of data in Play mode.
    Auto Live Link is mentioned in video tuts and pdf docs....
    AutoLiveLink.jpg
    "Event Visualizer" is great tool and would like to integrate in Logic Forge in future. But, some events or data happen to fast to be tracked visually so have to use logs or/save frames. As beginner you should use simple "Log" component.
    For example wire you "button" click to "Log" and see it working. OnButtonClickLog.jpg

Logic Forge has heavy logging on every component you can switch on, using right-click menu on Node.

OnLog.jpg

Logic Forge has also custom Frame by Frame logger and Time shift.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    DavidLe360 likes this.
  46. DavidLe360

DavidLe360

Yeaa, i know, hahaha. That's from the lazy copy and paste habit :D.

And i got it to work: yeap, had to drag the Camera component (not the GameObject).

Ooops, i mean the... Cameraaa :D

47. DavidLe360

DavidLe360

That would be awesome: debugging with a visualizer tool is much more user friendly, and ease for the eyes, then seeking and reading for a text logged.

48. DavidLe360

DavidLe360

49. DavidLe360

DavidLe360

Trying to do the Light On OF + logic tutorial, here the problem i have:

In playmode, when I click on the On Button, got error:
    upload_2020-5-26_16-16-38.png
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. ws.winx.unity.components.ListenEvent.handleEvent (System.Object data) (at Assets/WinxProduction/ws/winx/unity/components/ListenEvent.cs:775)
    3. ws.winx.unity.components.ListenEvent.OnPointerDown (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData) (at Assets/WinxProduction/ws/winx/unity/components/ListenEvent.cs:205)
    4. UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (UnityEngine.EventSystems.IPointerDownHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData) (at C:/Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.3.14f1/Editor/Data/Resources/PackageManager/BuiltInPackages/com.unity.ugui/Runtime/EventSystem/ExecuteEvents.cs:36)
    5. UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[T] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents+EventFunction`1[T1] functor) (at C:/Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.3.14f1/Editor/Data/Resources/PackageManager/BuiltInPackages/com.unity.ugui/Runtime/EventSystem/ExecuteEvents.cs:261)
    6. UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update() (at C:/Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.3.14f1/Editor/Data/Resources/PackageManager/BuiltInPackages/com.unity.ugui/Runtime/EventSystem/EventSystem.cs:377)
    UPDATE: Ok, i think this error, witch happen in other case, is cause when the "Log"
    upload_2020-5-26_17-24-41.png

is activated.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  50. DavidLe360

DavidLe360