Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Lock-On RPG Camera Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by aarontlewis, Sep 3, 2015.

1. aarontlewis

aarontlewis

Lock-On RPG Camera Kit is a camera controller combination to provide a camera similar to some AAA titles which feature a target lock on function. It can be adjusted to replicate the style of camera in some titles.

Setup is straightforward and documentation is provided.

Two demo scenes, One with blocking objects and one with Mecanim setup in the controller to get you started on furthering it.

Features:
    Orbit Cam
    Camera Collision
    Lock On System
    Target Switching
    Return to Original Position
    Object Fading
    First Person View
    Reticle Rotation
    Black Bars
    Easy to tweak settings so you can customize it to your liking

Available Now on the Asset Store
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/44393

Demo

Mecanim Demo

Buttons:

WASD player Movement
    MouseMovement for Camera Orbit
    TAB = Lock & Return to Original Position (When not in range of targets)
    Q or E = Switch Target
    Hold F = First Person View (Only while not targeting)
    F for First person view (Only while not locked on an enemy)
    1 = Toggle Black Bars (Only tap while not locked. Otherwise system break.)
    2 = Toggle Reticle Rotation
    3 = Toggle Camera Collision Mode
    4 = Toggle Click to Rotate
    5 = Toggle Axis Zoom
    6 = Toggle Invert Y Axis
    I = Destroy Moving Target
    O = Destroy Moving Target

Current Version 1.02

Changelog:
    1.0:

Release
    1.01:
    Camera Relock Function
    Target Destruction Bugfix
    Y Axis Zoom Camera Option
    1.02:
    Unity 4.6.8 Version
    Single line bugfix.
    1.03:
    More advanced mecanim setup.
    1.04:
    Object Fading
    Lock Adjustment value.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    Gozdek likes this.
  2. aarontlewis

aarontlewis

Update 1.01

Y Axis zoom function with mouse movement option, Works with inverted axis as well.
    Added camera relock function. If currently targeted enemy is destroyed the camera will relock to the nearest enemy.
    Fixed object destruction black bar bug

Will be updated to the asset store shortly.

If anyone has any requests feel free to PM me or post here.

3. Manaburn

Manaburn

This looks rather good, but desperately needs a demo somewhere. Since you never really get the "feel" for controllers until you play with them (apologies if I've missed a demo link somewhere).

Assuming it works with older versions of unity, might want to upload it with that too. Since the 5.1 "requirement" may be limiting the audience more than it needs to.

4. aarontlewis

aarontlewis

@Manaburn I'll sort one out in the morning. Thank you for the comment.

I'm fairly certain it works on older versions of unity, I'll work for 4.6 support in the next update.

5. aarontlewis

aarontlewis

Demo link available in top post and here

6. aarontlewis

aarontlewis

Unity 4.6 Build has been created and a very slight single line bug has been resolved.

Version 1.02 has been submitted for approval. Will update when live.

If anyone has any features they'd like me to add. Post or Email!

7. aarontlewis

aarontlewis

Version 1.02 is live. Unity 4.6 build.

8. Guideborn

Guideborn

This looks really simple and nice. Do you have a public demo for the Mecanim version that I can try out before I buy?

9. aarontlewis

aarontlewis

I'm making more mecanim additions that'll be available in the next update. With a new mecanim demo. It should be available tomorrow/day after, depending on my schedule. I'll shoot you a PM when it's up.

Guideborn likes this.
  10. Guideborn

Guideborn

Great! I'll purchase it later and see if it could use more additions. I'm trying to develop a third person shooter like E.X. Troopers. It uses a lock on system similar to this.

11. aarontlewis

aarontlewis

Sounds good. Mecanim demo is live, and update 1.03 has been submitted to the asset store. (Which includes the new mecanim additions)

To everyone who's bought the asset so far, if you have the time it'd be great if you could rate and review the asset for me.

Thank you <3

12. aarontlewis

aarontlewis

Update 1.04 has been submitted to the asset store.

Object fading has been added. You can now specify certain objects that you want to fade if the camera gets too close to them.

A new value has been added to the camera as a request called Lock Adjustment. Edit this value to help reduce the camera raising/birds effect that can occur depending on how you've set the camera up. The demo scene has it at a value of 1 which eliminates the raise it completely.

13. imtrobin

imtrobin

your demo should have non moving object like walls and sharp corners.

14. aarontlewis

aarontlewis

I'm guessing you're asking in regards to the camera collision. I've thrown some walls into the demo for you.

15. imtrobin

imtrobin

Cool. Instead of zooming into third person mode when colliding on walls, can you make it so it goes above, like top down view.

16. aarontlewis

aarontlewis

I'll see what I can do during the week in regards to making the camera raise instead of zooming in as an option.

17. aarontlewis

aarontlewis

Alright got some stuff sorted for another update, the previous one just went live.

@imtrobin
    Made the camera raise instead of zooming as an option when the camera collides with a wall. It works via orbiting the camera and zooming a small fraction. The speed at which it goes up can be changed. I've picked a suitable default value.

Added a new value which adjusts the lock icons position so we can now have larger enemies and small enemies with independent lock target heights.

I'll submit this update in the next day or two once I make sure there is nothing else I need to add. If any of the newer features are urgent to you, feel free to email me with your request and invoice and I can email it directly to you.

Also there is a much nicer demo version with toggleable options etc now.

18. aarontlewis

aarontlewis

Since I haven't received any more requests for the next update. I've submitted v1.05 for approval. New features are the alternate camera collision type, improved demo scenes and enemy dependent target heights for varied enemy heights

If you're working on something involving my kit, shoot me an email. I'd love to see a progress pic with my kit in use.

19. youarebritish2

youarebritish2

Man, you're pushing out these updates faster than I can integrate them. :p

I am running into an issue and I'm not sure if it's a problem on my end or if it's because it's an unexpected use case for the system. I'm testing it in a setup where you can switch between multiple characters, and for the most part it was pretty smooth to implement (just change the target of the camera), but the camera is jittering a lot after I switch to another character. I'm guessing there's some reference I didn't set when making the switch between characters. Would you happen to have any idea why this might be happening?

20. aarontlewis

aarontlewis

I sorta get what you mean. Could you email me a gif or a short vid showing the issue. It's most likely an issue on your end with a reference or something. At a glance I'd say it might be due to the fact that some scripts (I know for a fact RPGCamera) stores the player via the tag at the start. It might be a case of storing it manually and each time you call you player switch function to change the player Gameobject and refind the RPGMovement section of the player.

I'll have a play with switching player at runtime and hopefully post a solution today if that wasn't the issue.

Sorry about the update frequency. It's mainly due to feature request / bugfix or just general improvement of the asset to appeal to a larger audience and have features that other cameras have on the store.

21. youarebritish2

youarebritish2

Sure thing, I PMed you a video showing the problem. Here's the code I'm calling when I change characters:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public void SetTarget(Transform newTarget)
    2.     {
    3.         player = newTarget.gameObject;
    4.         movementScript = player.GetComponent<MyCharacterController>();
    5.         lockOn = false; //Disable lock on
    6.         lockIcon.gameObject.SetActive(false); //hide lock reticle
    7.     }

22. aarontlewis

aarontlewis

That code works fine for player switching. It will most likely be something due to using a custom controller and not the supplied RPGMovement and the camera is still attached to a piece of the original character.

23. IndieGameHustle

IndieGameHustle

Hello, I just purchased the Kit. I was looking for the setup video that the readme instructions said there was. Could you provide a link?

24. aarontlewis

aarontlewis

Hello, thank you for your purchase. Sorry about the clip not being available straight away. Here is the breakdown demonstration video here. If you have any other questions about setup, I am quicker to respond via email.

25. aarontlewis

aarontlewis

26. aarontlewis

aarontlewis

Sale is over now. Thank you to everyone who purchased, I hope you get what you wanted out of the kit. To all of the new purchasers, If you have any questions, requests or features you want me to put in email me, or post here. Email is quicker for a response

Cheers,

27. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

Nice looking asset :)

How does the targeting/camera perform if the target is much higher than the player? Is there a demo/example available where that is shown?

In the demo- the player and enemies are at the same height- lets say there are both at 0 on the y axis- how does it perform if say the enemy is at 20 on the y axis and the player is at 0?

I'm working on a game with giant enemies as well as regular height ones so that is why I am interested- thanks

28. jonnyb12

jonnyb12

Did anyone manage to get this awesome asset working with a Java Script Controller? My whole project is java and didn't know this was c# until i purchased it. Any help would be appreciated!

29. eiVix

eiVix

Very interesting asset, before buying it I'm curious if your script can achieve a camera and lock-on system like this?

• locks on-to target but the camera is always looking at side of character.
    Thanks