Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Light Setting Manager

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by rab, Nov 5, 2011.

1. rab

rab

LightSettingManager
    Get more out of your scene by providing different light settings. Create, edit and save light settings for different lightings (e.g. morning, evening, ...).

Introducing Light Settings
    A light setting is a combination of all light details and render settings, illuminating materials and light maps. Every aspect of lighting is concentrated in the light setting and is controlled by the LightSettingManager. A light setting can be edited and saved in the editor and can be loaded in game mode.

Example Scene: Visit our website
    Documentation: Read as PDF
    AssetStore: Link to the asset store page
    Questions:Write a mail

Unity5 support is not available at the moment (read more details here)

Features: Version 1.0
    LightSettings
    - create and save LightSettings in editor mode
    - load LightSettings in game mode
    - select a LightMap for a LightSetting
    Light data
    - interactive light list with filter function
    - direct light object selection
    - activate / deactivate a light
    - change color, intensity, range of any light
    - get info about light type
    RenderSettings
    - change ambient light
    - select a skybox
    - change skybox tint
    - change fog settings and color
    Self Iluminating Materials
    - list of all used materials with light emitting shaders (Self-Ilumin-Family)
    - direct selection of materials or gameobjects using those materials
    - change emission strength
    LightMaps
    - assign LightMapIDs to alrady available Lightmaps
    - create new Lightmaps
    - switch between LightMaps in your scene​
    Features: Version 1.1
    Self Iluminating Materials
    - control light color
    - exchange textures (saved for each LightSetting)
    Manipulate Static Objects
    - move, rotate, scale or deactivate static objects
    - reset object to original state
    - set Lock Atlas for lightmapping if needed​
    Features: Version 1.2
    LightSettingAnimations
    - create complex animations with different LightSettings
    - include sound in your lighting animations
    - easy-to-use visual animation step editor​
    Features: Version 1.2.1
    Unity3.5 Feature Update
    - Directed Lightmap Support
    - Set lightmap mode for each setting (single, dual, directed)
    - LightFilter: Area Light added​
    Features: Version 1.3.0
    LightProbes (waiting for review)
    - find all LightProbeGroups in a scene
    - directly edit the positions of single LightProbes in a LightProbeGroup
    - all LightProbes are saved in a LightSetting​

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  2. PolyMad

PolyMad

Looks interesting, especially for large projects.

3. rab

rab

Also small projects can profit from directly comparing different light settings to get better visual results. Some features (e.g. the light list filter function) are indeed really helpful when working with larger scenes.

4. rab

rab

Version 1.1 released!

Static Object Manipulation
    This new feature allows changes of static objects without loosing a correct lightmap. Generate complete new situations in your scene with only a few clicks. Create a new LightSetting and save all changes there.

Texture changes for emitting materials
    Now you can also change and store emitting textures for the lightmap calculation.

Visit our website demonstration to see an example of what is possible!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  5. PolyMad

PolyMad

Is it possible to, in example, render 24 different lightmaps so that it can be controlled from script and simulate a day/night cycle, while mantaining some torch lights behaving indipendently (torches not rendered, of course)?

6. rab

rab

Hello megmaltese,

yes this is possible, but at the moment you have to set the sun light position and color manually for each step (setting).

Actually I already thought about an "animation" feature and will implement this soon in the next update. Together with some kind of skymap-blending and colorramps for light animations.

7. rockysam888

rockysam888

(bookmarked)

8. rab

rab

Version 1.1.1 has been accepted by Unity and is now available in the asset store.

9. rab

rab

Version 1.1.2 has been released. This is a bugfix update (Self-Illuminating-Materials-GUI-Bug has been fixed).

Now working on animated lightmaps / light settings.

10. rab

rab

A new version has arrived: Light Setting Manager v.1.2 brings a new animation editor to animate your LightSettings.

The animation editor gives detailed control over each animation step. You have three options in each step: SwitchSetting (changing the actual LightSetting), Wait (define the time until the next step is executed) and PlaySound (playing a sound file from the resources directory). These functions will allow nearly unlimited animation possibilities.

See the results of these two animations below.

Visit our website to see the live demo and read further in the documentation if you like to learn how to use this extension.

Leave a comment if you have questions ...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  11. absameen

absameen

Hello, this looks very interesting. Has it been tested on mobile devices, specifically iOS?

12. rab

rab

Hello absameen,

I've just created the demo scene on my iPad2 and it works perfectly.

Best regards.

13. rab

rab

Update: Version 1.2 has been accepted by Unity and is now available in the asset store.

14. rab

rab

Unity 3.5 brings some new cool lightmap features which will be supported in LightSettingManager version 1.2.1.

Directed Lightmap Support
    Directed lightmaps now supports specular and normal map effects without additional real time lights. This is great for mobile devices and will boost performance and visual quality.

Set lightmap mode for each setting (single, dual, directed)
    Now each light setting can switch the lightmap mode. This way you can use your old single/dual lightmaps and switch to directed lighmaps as needed.

LightFilter: Area Light added
    The new light type is now supported in the light filter. Area lights are only used for lightmapping not for real time lighting.

Best regards.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  15. rab

rab

Update: Version 1.2.1 has been accepted by Unity and is now available in the asset store.

16. rab

rab

Actually I'm thinking about an 2013 update to finally add the missing support for light probes.

Is there any other feature you would like to be added in Light Setting Manager?

Kind regards!

17. rab

rab

There will be a XMAS price reduction as soon as Unity upates the package in the store. Price will be reduced from 95$ to 70$! Have a nice christmas time!

18. Taurus1983

Taurus1983

Hello, it works with Unity 4 free? While Android and iOS version? Thank you. :grin:

19. rab

rab

Hello Taurus1983

it should work on the Unity4 free version exept for the Area Light filter. Havn't tried it as I still use Unity v3 pro.

Try to import the example here: http://unity3d.rab-software.de/LightSettings_ExampleScene.unitypackage

If this works fine in U4 Free than the editor version should run as well.

Light Setting Manager works for iOS, I have no licence for Android but it should run there as well.

Kind regards!

20. rab

rab

LightSettingManager runs on Unity4 Free

I've just tested the scripts. If a feature is selected which require a pro version of unity an error message will be thrown automatically.

Kind regards.

21. Loards

Loards

Just bought it and ready to test it in unity 4.2 :D, i hope it works just as well as it looks in the examples :D

Great plug in!

Should be a re ally good ad on to make it compatible with Lightmaping Extended Script.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  22. Loards

Loards

Hey, i been testing this App and works great but there are a bug in unity 4.2...

When you hit the "bake new lightmaps" button in your app, Unity interface freeze during the baking

Can you fix this??? thank you!

23. rab

rab

Thank you for posting your feedback and for purchasing LightSettingManager.

The "bake new lightmaps" button starts the beast lightmap calculation. Workaround for this bug: go to the Lightmapping Panel (Window -> Lightmapping) and start the bake process from there (open Tab Bake and use the "Bake Scene" button). If the lightmap calculation is completed you can continue working within the LightSettingManager window.

Best regards!

24. Loards

Loards

this tool is really good, just need some time to get used to some "usability issues". im wondering if you have plans to update and make the lightprobes work with this tool??

Thanks!!

25. rab

rab

Hello Loards,

sorry for the late answer - I've accidently deactivated the notify function...

I already have an update available with lightprobe support but had no time to upload it yet. I try to update the version this january.

Best regards.

26. rab

rab

Version 1.3.0 has been uploaded and is waiting for review. LightProbe-Support allows easy saving and editing of all light probes in a scene.

Best regards.

27. rab

rab

Here some good news: the LightSettingManager price has been reduced to 50$.

Best regards.

28. melnet

melnet

After i import the package into unity3d, it has error-
    There are inconsistent line endings in the 'Assets/RAB_LightSettings/ManipulatedGameObject.cs' script. Some are Mac OS X (UNIX) and some are Windows.
    This might lead to incorrect line numbers in stacktraces and compiler errors. Many text editors can fix this using Convert Line Endings menu commands.

how can i fix it?

Thanks for help

29. rab

rab

Hello Melnet,

thanks for reporting. This Problem can be easely solved by opening the script file in the Script Editor. On opening the editor should ask if you like to change the line endings to your preferred setting. There is no impact on the functionality at all so you can ignore this warning.

Kind regards.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  30. melnet

melnet

Hello Rab,

Thanks for your reply, you mean i can skip the error, correct?
    and i should go to "Window" in menu, then find the "LightSettingManager"?
    coz i can't find this in "Window" menu

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  31. rab

rab

Hello melnet

yes, you can ignore the error message regarding the line endings.

I've just checked the menu. you can find the menu entry under window. I assume you've installed Unity5? There is no update yet for the new features of the new Unity version. Only the Unity4 features will be supported.

Kind regards.

32. melnet

melnet

33. rab

rab

Hello melnet,

I've checked the package in 4.6 and I have the menu entry. Please check if the following file is present in your scene:
    RAB_LightSettings/Editor/LightSettings.cs

If the file is missing just reimport the asset from the asset store.

Kind regards.

34. melnet

melnet

Hello Rabo,
    After import the package, i should see the "lightSettingManager" in menu without restart the unity program?
    coz i reimport the asset again, http://postimg.org/image/4rupegq8b/

Thanks

35. rab

rab

Hello Melnet,

thanks for posting the error messages. It looks like as if your script is damaged. Try downloading the file again. If the error will occur again then there is something strange with your internet connection or something else within the asset store?

line 100: EditorApplcation -> should be EditorApplication, which is a standard Unity class
    line 1654: GaeObject -> should be GameObject, which is also a standard Unity class
    line 1677: ManipulatedStaticbjects -> ManipulatedStaticObjects
    line 1824: LightSttingData -> LightSettingData

Kind regards.

36. melnet

melnet

37. rab

rab

Hello Melnet,

I've just tested the download again. Everything is working fine. It seems that you have a computer problem on your side. May by a defect RAM or disk drive? The file is corrupted on your machine. Try downloading the file on another machine.

Kind regards.

38. rab

rab

Dear LightSettingManager Users,

unfortunately Unity removed two essential functions since Unity5 and it doesn't look like they will return in the future:
    • LightProbes can't be loaded at runtime
    • there is no longer a way for locking atlasing (needed for manipulated static objects)
    These problems are the reason why there is no Unity5 update to the LightSettingManager yet. It seems that the developers and the management at Unity focus thier thoughts only on HighEnd PC/Console development and forget the mobile developers needs...

However - I could release an update for Unity5 without the features above - but the missing LightProbe functionality will make the whole sense of changing lightmaps at runtime useless if the lighting will only apply to static objects. In other words the feature set of LightSettingManager will drop to the state of version 1.0 we had at Unity3 in 2011.

I will check all comming versions of Unity5 if there is a workaround for the missing Unity features. Now I have two options for the LightSettingManager and I like to know what you think about the problem:
    • Option1: wait until Unity5 supports all needed functions and bring a full working release for Unity4 and Unity5 (my favourite, but unsure if this will happen as it depends on Unity)
    • Option2: release an update removing all features which doesn't work in Unity5, keeping the full Unity4 functionality
    What do you think about these options?

Thank you and kind regards.

39. Vagabond_Games

Vagabond_Games

I think Option1 is a reasonable choice for now since they are still making changes to Unity 5. Perhaps we can ask if their decision to exclude the two essential functions is final?

40. Loards

Loards

Why not both?? release a version with the unity 4 functionality and if there is a work around, update it later. :)

41. rab

rab

Thanks for the feedback.

@PunkDrifteR: The realtime lightprobe loading feature is on the developers whish list for a future update but there is no info when this will be done. So we have to wait...

@Loards: Is there really a need for a runtime lightmap changing tool if the lightprobes won't update to the new lighting? I also thought about a simple Unity5 version for free but droped that idea because of this problem. If there would be such a version, people would ask for this feature but I can't deliver it.

Kind regards.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  42. Worm_Animation

Worm_Animation

Hi there,

Actually Unity 5x version would be life saver here. We don't use lightprops or Lock Lightmapping Atlas features. But we do use all the other stuff.

We are building a Multiplatform game and for the xbox one builds we have to upgrade to Unity 5x because they don't support Unity 4x anymore.

I have attached a screenshot of my LightSettings Manager.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

43. rab

rab

Hello Worm_Animation,

unfortunately I can't deliver an update for Unity5 as there is no way of saving/loading light information correctly as it was possible in Unity3 and Unity4. Unity changed the storing of lighting in a way that you need to reload the scene to change the LightingDataAsset. The new concept will force us to load a complete new scene to change the LightingData - so you will have to create scene duplicates with changed lightings. There is no way of changing the lighting in a scene any more.

Sorry, but that is a bad design decision made by Unity - > for the LightSettingManager this becomes a dead end - at least for the moment (actual version: Unity5.3.2f1).

Kind regards.