Search Unity

[Released] Known Space - Easy in-game mapping.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Nakor, May 29, 2015.

1. Nakor

Nakor

Hello,

My new asset, Known Space, is now available on the asset store. It is my hope that this asset will help you quickly and easily get a map into your game and working, so that all you have to do (in most cases) is decide how you want it to look.

I truly believe that documentation is extremely important. There aren't a lot of things worse in my mind than getting something that works great, but doesn't do quite what you want to do. This is when you discover how incredibly difficult it is to adapt it to your needs. I'm tired of that, and I'm thinking you probably are too. That's why I have put so much effort into making this asset easy to use and easy to adapt.

Furthermore, I want to know what more any users of this asset (present or future) would like to see added. I have some ideas. A 3D orbit style map would be nice for example (think Elite Dangerous). Please post or send me your ideas. I would prefer you post to my forum but I will certainly live if you do not feel like creating yet another forum account. I reserve the right to maintain project focus, but it can't hurt to ask right?

Without further ado (or babbling if you prefer), I present to you the asset description:

---

A mapping system designed to be easy to use so that you can quickly set your game up with a fully functional in-game map.

Works in Unity Personal Edition (free) and Unity Pro!

This asset was born of the need (my need) to have a map system with pathfinding built in that was easy to use and add to a game. There are some excellent pathfinding solutions for Unity already, but they were overly complicated for use with a simple point to point map. As a result, I have written a mapping system with a built in pathfinding system (based off of the A* algorithm) designed to be not only easy to use, implement, and customize, but also to coincide with other pathfinding systems.

This asset uses the Unity GUI system. It should easily coexist with any third party GUI systems.

The example code and scenes included in Known Space use space as an example setting, but this asset can be applied to any setting you require. Whether you have a space setting or a western setting, or anything else, adapting this asset is as easy as editing a GUI and your data script.

All code is written in C# and is heavily documented. A Doxygen site is available for you as needed and a documentation PDF is included.

Two example scenes demonstrate the use of the mapping system by showing the two main pathing system setups.

Support and Demos

Support Forums
    Code Documentation

Simple Pathing Demo - The simple pathing scene demonstrates the use of basic point to point pathing.

Deep Search Pathing Demo - The deep search pathing scene demonstrates the use of a more complex system of pathing that involves the use of "gate lanes". Gate lanes are direct connections between two nodes regardless of distance (think wormholes).

---

Aaron Goselin
    Alpha Two Niner Games

Last edited: May 29, 2015