Search Unity

[RELEASED] Knife Media's AAA Medieval Castle Interiors Pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by KnifeMedia, Apr 12, 2016.

1. KnifeMedia

KnifeMedia

Knife Media's Medieval Castle Interior Pack!

Hey guys,

I'm pleased to announce the first in a series of packs (fingers crossed!) for the Unity Asset Store - Knife Media's Medieval Castle Interior Pack. It's the product of lots of blood, sweat and tears - I hope you all like it!

Features:
    • - Over 130 high quality AAA models with over 140 prefabs
    • - Modular design, allowing for custom scenes and structures
    • - 512px - 4K PBR enabled metallic/roughness and specular/gloss maps
    • - Heightmaps (where applicable)
    • - LOD and mobile quality variants of models (where applicable)
    • - Three distinct Romanesque themes – Dining Hall, Catacombs and Throne Room
    • - Prebuilt scenes with a high quality Unity image effects stack for beauty shots
    Link to Asset Store: http://u3d.as/qXM

Price: $50

Thanks to the forums for providing feedback during it's WIP days. I appreciate it! Check it out and if you like what I make, like my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/knifemedia/

Room Part Index

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    ironbellystudios and TeagansDad like this.
  2. Teila

Teila

You should make a demo! It is always nice to see the actual environment.

3. Teila

Teila

I would LOVE to see a picture of the modular parts. I really need to be able to use these in different configurations. If I can do that, I will buy it now. :) Any chance you can show us a picture of the laid out parts?

KnifeMedia likes this.
  4. KnifeMedia

KnifeMedia

Hi there!

I can actually skype and screen share the project so you can see the individual parts if it is urgent. Either that or I can make an image matrix of sorts - but I'll only be able to get that done tomorrow as it's 1am here :rolleyes: - come to think of it I will do that anyway so everyone can see regardless.

I have messaged you my skype ID.

5. Teila

Teila

Tomorrow is fine or even the next day. :) Thanks so much.

KnifeMedia likes this.
  6. KnifeMedia

KnifeMedia

Oh - and for those interested, I have all the Substance Painter files available if you need to access source texture maps. Unfortunately due to the nature of Painter files, they are very very large and I wasn't able to fit them into the Asset Store package (Unity have a size limit)!

If a particular model requires editing, email me at the email address in the read me file and I'll dropbox it over.

Teila likes this.
  7. KnifeMedia

KnifeMedia

OK, it's been added. Note this is only the room parts - not the items (of which there are many).

8. Whippets

Whippets

Some pix of the individual pieces arranged in groups is always good to see on the assetstore page :)

9. KnifeMedia

KnifeMedia

I'll see if I can do that and add some screenies :)

Thanks Unity! It's been featured in the new to the asset store page!!

10. Teila

Teila

Excellent! Thank you. I can see lots of possibilities there. :) Congrats for your addition to Cream of the Crop! You deserve it. I hope we see more from you.

11. KnifeMedia

KnifeMedia

cool, hope it helps with your decision!

Teila likes this.
  12. KnifeMedia

KnifeMedia

Just a quick update - I added support for Unity 5.1 and it is also on an introductory sale - get it now for $35 ($10 off)!

http://u3d.as/qXM

13. l0cke

l0cke

It is nice, but very, very far from standard of commercial 2015/2016 games, so I wouldnt call it AAA.

14. Teila

Teila

To be fair, AAA really is for big studio games that make a lot of money. It has nothing to do with the quality of the art or graphics. There are plenty of top selling AAA games that are not composed of high quality realistic art.

Somehow, people have started using AAA to define the art style rather than the popularity/sales of the game like we used to do it in the olden days. :)

And to be honest, other than maybe one upcoming asset on the asset store, very little in the asset store hits the quality that some folks here might consider 2016 "AAA" art. If you want that, you need to pay lots of money to hire an artist with lots of experience. To expect to get that for $35 is really crazy.

@KnifeMedia I have not yet purchased your asset but plan to do it soon. Real life has been busy for me. :) I will write an honest review for you. I really like what you did here and want to see more. Might be wise though to take off the AAA. lol

KnifeMedia likes this.
  15. l0cke

l0cke

You are indeed right. On the other side I was able to buy some really "2016" assets for silly price. But such releases are very rare and not in Unity store. M4K was very close, but they probably quit the scene.

16. Teila

Teila

Having purchased a few of his things, I did not find them that great. I have houses he made with terrible textures, holes, etc. I had to take them into Maya and make lots of changes.

They look great though with image effects. ;)

KnifeMedia and Whippets like this.
  17. KnifeMedia

KnifeMedia

I guess the idea behind AAA is to help distinguish it from the myriad of mobile packs on the store - I actually have not seen many 3D packs that aren't low poly or made with 100 meshes in one texture file ;)

How could I improve the quality of the assets to bring it up to AAA standard?

18. Teila

Teila

I purchased your pack yesterday but only had time to play a bit with the first demo scene before I had to leave for theater.

I really like the way the underground area looks. Very believable and I could see using the modular parts to build a larger area for exploring. The arches are very nice and I like the narrow staircases. The included models in the package look very solid and will be easy to use for modular designs.

First of all, it is really important that one puts in the normal standard assets before importing your pack. Otherwise, you get all sorts of scripting errors. I imported yours first, couldn't compile so had to import standard assets and then re import yours to make it all work okay.

Lighting was way off on my computer, but that may be because I use deferred linear. I did manage to make changes to the IE's and point lights and fix it a bit. Scale was odd too although I haven't tried it in my scene so will check later. But when I added a standard asset first person character to walk around, the chest was giant. :) I will report back later if this is my problem and not the asset's problem.

Overall, worth the cost but will need a bit of work on my part. Nothing major though. I am eager to look at the rest of the demos.

Edit: Looked at the other demo scenes. Very nice although the IE's drive me crazy. :) Again, very nice asset and will be useful to me. Scale is still way off though in the demos. I am hoping that is not true with the models and prefabs. Models should be the typical Unity scale, with the average human at 1.8 to 2 meters tall.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  19. Teila

Teila

OKay, this deserves a separate post.

Scale, again.

Screen Shot 04-24-16 at 11.19 AM.PNG

The cube is the height of an average human. The prefab is far too large, making the prefabs useless. I can use the model of the chair and it is fine. Various prefabs are of various scales, which is sometimes okay, but I worry about stretched textures when scale is too far off. I will have to go in and redo all the prefabs in order to use this kit.

You asked what would help make them AAA...scale is important, especially with a modular kit.

Again though, it is nice and had you not asked, I would have just fixed them myself. :)

20. KnifeMedia

KnifeMedia

Duly noted - I appreciate the feedback. I'll rescale them and resubmit. I'm new to the asset game, so this feedback really matters!

Hopefully the models are of use to you!

I'm quite swamped this week, but I'll try have the update out before it ends.

Teila likes this.
  21. Teila

Teila

Don't hurry on my account. :) I have plenty to do at the moment.

22. l0cke

l0cke

Much more detailed geometry/usage of parallax shaders in LOD0 (interior scenes are easy to oclude, nowdays GPU can easily render millions of polygons in frustum, so models can be quite detailed), normal and height maps generated via projection from super high poly model (zbrush/mudbox) on low poly. Usage of detail textures, carefully prepared albedo/ao maps. Probably the biggest problem is, that everything is too perfect on your models, but in reality there would be worn edges,scratches, damaged wall, etc...

This is scene I am now preparing:

https://www.facebook.com/esqgame/ph....1461539573./1834029303490864/?type=3&theater

23. Teila

Teila

Honestly, I would not buy such high performance models for an indie game. Besides, the price would have to pretty high for that kind of work...and any asset developer should get paid for the time he puts into his work.

The majority of us are making indie games, not AAA games. Some of us are making multiplayer game. While a few would be nice, I don't want a lot of parallax on my models.

I do think LOD's and some wear on the models would be nice, although I don't need ancient looking textures when in the time the game takes place, those someday ancient props should look not so ancient. :) I really hate all the worn and torn medieval stuff that looks like it is 500 years old.

I think Iocke has different expectations for his models and possible you will find a market here for that. However, your $35 will need to rise to at least $70, or maybe even $90 since I bought model packs that cost that much that had very few of the features mentioned in the above post.

Or you can appeal to Indies, charge lower prices, and save your very high quality stuff for custom work.

I betcha that if you add all that stuff, charge twice as much for the models, you will get dozens of people telling you that you have priced yourself out of the market here on Unity. You can find people badgering developers all over the forums to lower their prices, they are too high, no one will buy your stuff.

So...Yes, improve and strive for AAA. But price your assets accordingly, and realize the higher your quality, the more time you put in, and the more your assets are worth. Check out non-Unity places, like Unreal Marketplace, Turbosquid and others. People here say they are overpriced, but you get what you pay for, or so you should. Don't let the folks who are too cheap to pay a fair price intimidate you.

This is not at all directed it I0cke. I am just frustrated by the expectations here from others. I wonder if all those folks would actually pay the fair price if the developers actually charged as much as they were worth. We are going to lose some very valuable asset developers I fear.

TeagansDad and Whippets like this.
  24. l0cke

l0cke

I was always telling, that I am wiiling to pay hundreds of euros for good kit. I have no problem to pay for quality, problem is, that there is no real quality. Available.

And you are not right, even indie should aim for best visual quality possible. All great indie projects did.

25. Teila

Teila

Custom! I bet if you contact some of these artists that you admire, they will do custom work for you. Due to the prices that sell on the asset store, it is not worth the time to most of the artists. And you just insulted every model creator here. :(

I disagree. Great indie games come in all flavors, and most are not of super high quality visually. It is the game play that brings folks to play indie games. In your eyes, visual is what makes them great. For exclusive art, you can't expect the same as custom. You would be the only buyer at 100s of Euros on the asset store. :) So contract with someone. I would if I could spend that on one asset.

BTW, open a new thread on this somewhere and we can discuss it further. :)

26. KnifeMedia

KnifeMedia

Teila likes this.