Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] JPG - Bitcrunching / Datamosh Effect - JPEG'ify Your Game!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JollyTheory, Apr 16, 2024.

1. JollyTheory

JollyTheory

JPG - Bitcrunching / Datamosh Effect is a post processing effect that faithfully replicates the artifacts and distortions found in block-encoding techniques such as JPEG images and H264 videos, inspired by Ompuco's amazing work, doing so in realtime.​

Asset Store • ✅ Built-In (2021.4+) • ✅ URP (12.1.0+)

Features:
    • Apply the effect over the whole screen / Only over specific objects / Even over UI!
    • Performant: The effect takes about the same performance hit as FXAA anti-aliasing or SSAO on low.
    • Simple to use: Just add to your camera or render-pipeline and adjust parameters.
    • The effect has these options to modify:
    - Control the size of the encoding blocks (4x4/8x8/16x16).
    - Bring out the lossy nature of the encoding with RGB Crunching.
    - Oversharpen the image if you're going for a more deep-fried look.
    - Gracefully lerp the effect in and out with a special Intensity paremeter that lerps all others.​

• New feature: Specific objects-only mode.
    - The effect can now be restricted to be applied only to specific objects instead of the whole scene.​

Last edited: May 4, 2024
    unityxxplorer and LunarGameDev like this.
  2. LunarGameDev

LunarGameDev

Hello, Just got this asset, looks surprisingly cool ingame btw, great job. I was wondering if I can apply it to only certain elements.

For example, I want to use the effect on one of my monsters, but not on the walls. Is that possible?

3. JollyTheory

JollyTheory

Hi,
    Yes, you can isolate specific objects, the sample scene is actually already set up with this as. Check the "Stenciled only" checkbox and put one of the stenciling shaders on your object. There's more info on this in the README Stencil.txt file and on the tooltip of the checkbox.
    Thanks.

4. LunarGameDev

LunarGameDev

Figured it out, thanks!

5. unityxxplorer

unityxxplorer

Hi!! I'm having a kind of a hiccup setting up the effect, when i add "JPGRenderFeature" to my urp render asset, but then the readme says to add "JPG" to my volume and i'm getting stuck, I tried to add it as an effect, but im not seeing it in the effects of the post process volume. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the help!!

6. JollyTheory

JollyTheory

Hi, hopefully this image can help you:

Please let me know if "JPG - Bitcrunching Effect" doesn't appear in the effects list for you. Thank you.

7. JollyTheory

JollyTheory

Just submitted v1.0.2:
    -Support for different Depth Priming Mode settings.
    -Forward+ support.

Thanks y'all.