Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

[RELEASED] Impostors - Runtime Optimization

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MUGIK, Oct 11, 2019.

?

What dependencies you are ok with using in your project?

1. Unity 2019.4+

42 vote(s)
    82.4%
  2. Jobs (+ Collection and Mathematics)

42 vote(s)
    82.4%
  3. Burst (+ Mathematics)

43 vote(s)
    84.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. arczi79

arczi79

I see in the description of the Impostors asset this information:
    "- For now, Impostors work only with no moving objects."
    Does it mean that it is not possible to move objects with ImpostorLODGroup to any new position? The periodical updates of player (and the whole world) to position (0,0,0) should happen very rarely so it would be nice to have exposed any function to reevaluate positions of all impostors (on demand, when it is needed).

2. MUGIK

MUGIK

Currently, there are no such plans just because you are the first and the only one requesting this integration. I don't want to sound rude but that's not enough to spend development time on this while there are other more important improvements. Also, ECS is still an experimental package.

The core of the Impostors package is the DOTS part of the code where all calculation and mesh generation occurs. MonoBehaviour part is only a wrapper to conveniently configure and transfer required data to the system. If you are willing to I could help you with some tips for writing your own adaptation of the Impostors package that fits your needs.

One more thing to consider, Impostors work in conjunction with unity's LODGroup component and I don't know if there is a replacement for that functionality in ECS. LODGroup is responsible for rendering and culling objects before they turn into impostors, so maybe you will also need to implement this part.

I don't know your full situation, there might be some other gotchas. If you are interested we could discuss this further in PM.

3. MUGIK

MUGIK

Ahh sorry, that's outdated statement in the documentation.
    On ImpostorLODGroup there is a setting called IsStatic. If you turn this off then system will update the position every frame. Try this first to verify that it works with World Streamer 2

4. arczi79

arczi79

It works.... I am only a little confused with that part: "system will update the position every frame". Is there any better way to handle that? Probably I will need to update position every few minutes (in a worse scenario, at best maybe only a few times in the scene/level) so the update every frame sounds like big overkill for my "scenario".

5. MUGIK

MUGIK

Got you.
    You could try to call ImpostorLODGroup.UpdateSettings() on all active impostors. But this could be quite expensive if you have more than 1000 objects.

I will look for a more optimal way of doing this.

6. olivecrow

olivecrow

hello.
    I am using Imposters v1.0.5 and Unity 2021.3.6 URP.

Imposters not working when
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ImposterRenderingType == Scheduled
    in UniversalRenderPipelineProxy.cs

MainCameraImposter.jpg

But when I set
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ImposterRenderingType == Immediately
    it works fine.

Can only Immediately be used in URP?

7. MUGIK

MUGIK

Hi
    Scheduled should work fine in URP.
    Make sure that you use UpdateImpostorsTexturesFeature from the appropriate Renderer Data

8. ysundawa

ysundawa

Hello,

I got some compiling error with 2020.3.34f1.
    please let me know where to start digging to fix this error?

Thanks...

upload_2022-7-23_6-33-52.png

9. MUGIK

MUGIK

Hello
    Let me guess, you updated Impostors to the latest version? If so, then this is what caused the compilation error because of legacy scripts that should be deleted. You can delete these scripts.

Or, you can reinstall the Impostors package completely. To do so just delete Impostors folder from the project view. You will get a lot of compilation errors, but that's ok. Then just import the latest version of Impostors package. All references to scripts should remain and after this step your project should function properly.
    Strongly recommend backup your project before this process, just in case something went wrong.

10. AnotherWorldCo

AnotherWorldCo

Hi. Can i apply anti-aliasing to an impostor? (URP, MSAA, Oculus Quest 2)

11. MUGIK

MUGIK

What do you mean by that? MSAA applies globally to everything rendered by the camera, including impostors.

12. AnotherWorldCo

AnotherWorldCo

But the impostor edges and inside the texture is very aliased compared to 3d object. Is it expected behavior? upload_2022-8-4_21-25-9.png upload_2022-8-4_21-26-25.png

13. MUGIK

MUGIK

Yes. Impostors are meant to be used at a distance, where such details won't be noticeable.

14. sameng

sameng

I recently updated Impostors and now there's a notice about Graphics Jobs enabled makes a bug in impostors. I was wondering what bug is this?

Also, I am finding that the Metal bug that I posted about a long time ago maybe has something to do with the system incorrectly rendering impostors swapped with each other.

For example, I have two impostors: Streetlamp and Car.

Sometimes, I will see the Car impostor flicker where the Streetlamp would be. This leads me to think the flickering is due to using multiple impostors and the system incorrectly assigning the positions for rendering.

15. MUGIK

MUGIK

For some reason enabled Graphics Jobs setting messes up shader variables related to lightning and impostors are rendered without lightning in the build. This does not happen in the editor.

I read again our previous conversation, and I realize that the problem might be with the impostor shader. It does a lot in the vertex shader where this flickering might occur due to floating precision or platform-specific data conversion.
    I would highly appreciate some video of the flickering when camera doesn't change position and only rotates. You can send it in DM if you wish to.

sameng likes this.
unityunity