Search Unity

[RELEASED] HQ Retro Farmhouse

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by NOT_Lonely, Oct 26, 2019.

1. cursedtoast

cursedtoast

Yeah, that'll probably sort it out, I appreciate the help.
    I will say this, now that I'm actually laying out a house, this is the best art asset I've used. The NL_MCS component is mad handy as well.

Using ProGrid, I've been snapping 2.5 on the x and 0.75 on the y, and it's just connecting beautifully. I've used another asset before for a portfolio piece and it was such a nightmare I ended up laying things out myself in ProBuilder.

Once I spend a few more hours working with it I'll write a nice detailed review and maybe throw up a video of some progress I've gotten done.

Thank you so much for your support and work -- you're very talented at what you do.

2. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

I'm happy that it works for you. Thank you for the kind words! :)

3. cursedtoast

cursedtoast

Sorry to bother you again!
    Is the terrace floor an individual prefab by chance (been looking and not finding it).
    Ideally, I'd like to replicate the terrace pieces just without the brick pieces at the bottom. Could be used to create a 2nd floor balcony, I think?

Also, could you elaborate a touch on the mention of Subtance in the readme, please? Is there Substance files included for customizing things (rather than standard textures) or is this just a suggestion for taking it a step further with customization? Both?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  4. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

I'm sorry, but there are no individual floor pieces for the terrace. I think you can try to detach it in a 3d-editor or even using the Unity's ProBuilder tool. This tool is pretty fine for such a task. Simply copy the model in your scene and use "ProBuilderize" feature from the ProBuilder menu. Then you will be able to remove parts of the mesh. Only one bad thing - ProBuilder generates its own UVs for the mesh, but I use UV3 in the shader to project some masks.

The Readme.txt already includes the Substances guide.

5. GreaserMonkey

GreaserMonkey

"Couldn't create a Convex Mesh from source mesh "Bulb_glass" within the maximum polygons limit (256). The partial hull will be used. Consider simplifying your mesh."

6. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

Hi, you can simply ignore this message. Or replace the Bulb_glass collider with a spherical one.

7. GreaserMonkey

GreaserMonkey

I know how to snap floor to the wall correctly (see image below) but how can I snap a ceiling so that it matches the floor corner position? It seems that there is no snapping point to snap ceiling to the wall same way it's possible to snap floor to the wall. The result is that ceiling and floor corner positions do not match and then room axis aligned bounding box changes too. Maybe I've missed something to do it correctly?

upload_2021-2-17_11-27-21.png

upload_2021-2-17_11-36-33.png

upload_2021-2-17_11-38-0.png

upload_2021-2-17_12-7-41.png

8. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

Hi,

You don't need to snap that way. Don't use a vertex snapping, you should use a grid snapping instead. Once you dropped any module to the scene, press Ctrl + Shift + G, it's a hotkey from my Object Placement Tool which will automatically snap selected module(s) to the closest grid cell.

And I recommend you to look at the Readme file, where you can find few other recommendations about the pack.

GreaserMonkey likes this.
  9. krissnord

krissnord

I have done everything I can to make the doors work but when I walk close to them nothing happens and I get no error message in console do you now what could couse this. I have it set to automatic as I use the new input system.

10. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

Hi,

You have to set the Player's Head Tag in the door inspector to your player's camera tag and add a shpere collider in trigger mode to this camera.

11. valmyr

valmyr

Hi, what is this tool in the inspector??
    upload_2021-4-23_19-37-28.png
    I can't seem to find it in the demo scene

12. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

It's Substance Plugin. You can find it at the Asset Store, install, and use with the Substance files that comes with the pack.

13. valmyr

valmyr

Oh I see. I'd like to try this. Thank you

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

hi, please provide some demo assets please.

15. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

Hi,

What do you mean? A playable demo?

16. Mikimortis

Mikimortis

Is there a way to change all the wallpapers in a specific room at once? I haven't been able to find this option. Thank you in advance!

17. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

You can apply the MCS_Manager to clear the hierarchy and then select all the room walls to batch change the material. But this will finalize the building and you will not be able to use the construction script interface on this modules after applying the MCS_Manger script. So if you already finished your building and don't plan to change its layout anymore, you can do that.

18. Mikimortis

Mikimortis

Thank you so much! This is such a great asset, and even more so now that I know you can batch change things!!

19. Jinxed_It

Jinxed_It

Ok I have a kinda weird issue: After importing and updating everything to HDRP, the shader that the plants are using and some of the curtains etc. has a green tint/shadow and I have zero idea what is causing it.

NOT_Lonely/TranslucentAnim_NL_graph

Shader error in 'NOT_Lonely/TranslucentAnim_Substance_NL': Invalid conditional expression. at line 94
    Shader error in 'NOT_Lonely/TranslucentAnim_NL': Invalid conditional expression. at line 99

Any idea how to fix it?

20. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

You should look at the Upgrade to HDRP or URP text file, all instructions are there.

21. Jinxed_It

Jinxed_It

I have no clue why, but when I am baking Lightmaps with the Retro Farmhouse Pack I get the worst errors. :/ I tried 6 different options, CPU / GPU, resolutions and anything I can think off at least but I didn't get it fixed. HDRP. Deleted and Reimported the whole pack and updated it like 3 weeks ago roughly too to see if the old version before the HDRP change might've just messed it up. Any ideas? Might not even be related to the (amazing!) pack, but it is the only one I get these errors with. :/

I attached how parts of the scene look right now vs without lightmaps (ignore how dark it is, I adjust the night exposure normally after baking the lightmaps)

/e: After looking at this problem for days it is the 1st time I noticed that the ceiling/floor between the two floors is not even showing up in the texel validity at all. I have no idea why, but I will look into it. :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  22. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

Hi,

It looks pretty weird. Have you tried to bake in a demo scene? It works just fine on my side.

Your scene looks great btw! :)

23. Jinxed_It

Jinxed_It

I will test another Bake later (after the rest of the workday) in the demo scene to see how it works there. :) Thank you for the idea!

Another small question:
    After we updated the whole project to HDRP I removed the old files, downloaded the new packs and updated them to HDRP - no problem! But I notices that some models are not showing their normalmaps anymore, for example the material Wood_worn_mtl with the NOT_Lonely/MaskBlend_NL_Graph is not showing any normalmaps anymore (i tried exchanging one, both, turning up the normal map itensity but nothing really).

24. HaMrDev

HaMrDev

because the unity package is 4.8GB unity keeps erroring out half way through when downloading through the package manager is there any way to download the file from google for example the error is just random numbers not anything specific

25. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

Hi,
    Do you have enough free space on your system drive? This kind of errors usually happen when Unity can't download a package on disk due to lack of space.

Thanks!

26. TwiiK

TwiiK

I just purchased this and it looks amazing, but I'm curious what's your reasoning for not completely setting up the demo scene for us? Like you describe in the readme what we should do to achieve the same look as the video and screenshots, but why isn't it already setup? Surely this approach has to lead to more support request for you, such as this one right now? :p

Like I've added the post processing package, but you haven't setup the volumes for me so it's not clear to me how to actually set it up to utilize the profiles you've given me. In the grand scheme of things this isn't important since I'm not going to be using the demo scene as my game anyway, but it would be nice just to have a fully working demo scene already setup, with the correct post processing volumes etc. Many of us who buy these sort of things have way less experience in crafting good looking visuals than you, it's surely part of the reason why we buy them to begin with, so being able to see how they are setup is of great help. Telling us we need to set them up ourselves is confusing and seems very unnecessary.

The same goes for the door scripts. You've gone through all the trouble of creating these scripts, but the asset doesn't ship with an actual controller able to trigger these scripts. That the buyer must create or add that themselves. Like surely it's a lot easier just to add a simple demo controller to the project rather than have to type these instructions out?
    You must have had a controller in the project at some point to even test these scripts, right? :p

Just seems like the first impressions for the buyer could be improved here, and also the accompanying support load for you could probably be reduced, in just a few simple steps.

Anyway, that's just my $0.02. This is a brilliant looking asset and I'm very pleased with it, this was just the minor annoyances I had with it. :)

27. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

Hi,

Thank you for purchasing my assets!

The reason is that Unity doesn't export project settings into the asset store package.

The main global volumes profiles has a _global postfix. All other profiles can be used as local volumes.

Yes, I will add a simple controller for the demo only. It's not done, because people start to ask more and more. For example, if you create a simple controller only for a demonstation purpose, they will ask why it has no features that they want. Anyways every project has its own controller systems, so I don't think it's neccessary. But as I told, I will add it later, because I already created it for one of my other packages.

Thank you for your detailed feedback! I will really appreciate if you add it at the store page directly!

28. Hoody-indi

Hoody-indi

Hello, I had a hard time too, trying to open the door, but after all it was just because of this :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. return (dotProd < 0 && dotProd < -0.9f);
    Which is supposed to be :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. return (dotProd < 0 && dotProd > -0.9f);
    Inside DoorScript.cs -> bool PLayerIsLookingAtDoorKnob().

salex1 likes this.
  29. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

Hi,
    Nope, it's not supposed to be like that. Everything is correct in this script.

With your fix it will ignore a complete opposite direction of the vectors and you will not be able to open a door in this case, i.e. if you your player camera looks straight on the door knob, the script will fail.

30. Hoody-indi

Hoody-indi

Hi,
    Why not just doing :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. return (dotProd < -0.9f);
    then ?
    I am confused.
    I couldn't open the door before changing this.

31. raapix

raapix

Is there a way to link the prefab of doors/windows to the construction system?
    It seems like the construction system is using a separated prefabs from the ones in folders. When I change the prefab in folders (ex. DoorMain). The objects in the scene does not change. This makes making custom changes on top of original very difficult.

32. Xapu1337

Xapu1337

It looks like the included objectplace tool does not work correctly.
    control + shift + G returns this error.
    upload_2022-5-26_11-47-25.png

After debugging a bit I figured out that the EditorPref "MoveSnapX, Y AND Z" return null.

33. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

Hi,
    Contact me via the support email please and I will send you a fixed version of the tool.

34. firejerm

firejerm

I'm using 2022.3 if that makes a difference.( knowing unity, probably does)

I found a glitch and figured out a work around.
    In "input objects (don't modify)*challenge accepted*
    Duplicate Unbroken, rename to Broken.
    Add the Broken container, and it will enable the broken toggle. That's good.

/**Bug** try to add a variant....heck just clicking the plus button on "exterior broken variations" the 2nd screen happens **/Bug

Duplicate Unbroken, rename to broken. (for posterity, add _broken to the end of variation names)
    go to the Unbroken variations array in the inspector, right click and Copy, then paste on the Broken variations array in inspector.
    Then it will let you change the Broken variations.
    For me, Its like, the main feature that makes it stand out amongst the other modular houses. Now that any of the modules can be "smart" and I can make anything in the game "smart" with broken/unbroken (or dirty/clean)..... This is totally worth the price point and MCS outlives the house itself! bad.png View attachment 1295964 Works.png