Search Unity

[RELEASED] History & Favorites Ultimate - Unity Editor Workflow Booster

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Gooren, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Gooren

Gooren

History & Favorites Ultimate is a powerful utility window that shows history of Opened Scenes,
    history of Scene Object and Asset selection, while also enabling to mark any Scene Object or Asset as favorite.

$ Asset Store | ✉ Support

Main Features
    - History Tab and Favorites Tab
    - Shows paths for both Scene Objects and Assets
    - Selects and highlights Scene Objects and Assets
    - Opens Assets (folders, scenes and prefabs are handled smarter)
    - (NEW!) Drag&drop (same as drag&drop performed from scene hierarchy or project view)
    - Enhanced Search Bar with predefined filter and search result highlighting
    - Customizable categories for Scene Objects and Assets
    - (NEW!) Full/Compact view mode
    - Reliable referencing
    - Persistent history data
    - Designed for great performance and smooth compatibility with 3rd party plugins
    - User profiles (source control integration)
    - Works well with multi-scene setups

- More features to come in the near future!

Technical Details
    - Plugin root folder can be moved freely within the project structure
    - ‘Force Text’ Asset Serialization Mode is not required
    - Plugin doesn't modify anything in the project, except for its own files
    - Nothing from this plugin will be included in your builds, as expected
    - Uses a single field in the EditorPrefs
    - All scripts reside in a separate namespace, so there will be no conflicts with other scripts in your project
    - Stable and persistent through Assembly reloads
    - Complete source code available

See screenshots for more in-depth information.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  2. Gooren

Gooren

Released! :)

3. GDevTeam

GDevTeam

Great asset. Worth a buy if you are serious about speeding up your workflow.

A couple of suggestions that would make this even more streamlined in my opinion and should not take a lot of work from the asset's developer to implement.

1) Shorten the tooltip, '1 favorite added' (personally, I want the option to remove it all together). I like 0.5 seconds (half a second).

2) It's a bit cluttered looking and eats a lot of room up in the current fashion. I recommend a collapse chevron or similar. This way the Favorites can take only one line up. And we can hold a lot more before vertical scrolling is needed. How about a double left mouse button click on the Favorited items' icon image? double click once for expand, double click again to close?

Great job dev! I like the ability open a scene to get at a Favorited item. That's thinking and doing what other like-assets are not doing. 5-Stars & Recommended Buy!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  4. Gooren

Gooren

Thank you for your amazing feedback and the rating!
    About your suggestions:

1) Good point, I have immediately implemented it and it does look better. It will be included in the next update.

2) Yeah, that's what I was thinking too and actually had this implemented already for the update. Although a little bit differently - you will now be able to switch between two view modes. One will show all the paths, just like before, and the other will hide the paths, making the items (especially scene objects) much smaller in height as a result.
    Icon clicking is already reserved for something new and exciting (also upcoming).

I am glad you appreciate the neat plugin features :)

5. Gooren

Gooren

Version 1.1.0 is out now!
    + Compact view mode*
    + Drag&drop item icon (same as drag&drop performed with a Unity Object)
    + “Notify favorites added” settings option
    - Various smaller bug fixes and improvements

* Version 1.1.1 will be coming in approximately two weeks with some major improvements for the new compact view mode.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  6. Gooren

Gooren

Version 1.1.1 is out now!
    - Compact view mode GUI improvements
    - Prefab edit mode now uses a dummy canvas when editing any UI related prefabs
    - GUI is now more responsive
    - Various smaller bug fixes and improvements

* Always backup your 'HistoryAndFavoritesUltimate_Profiles~' folder before updating.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  7. Gooren

Gooren

Version 1.1.2 is out now!
    - Unity 2019.1.0a7 compatibility

* Always backup your 'HistoryAndFavoritesUltimate_Profiles~' folder before updating.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  8. Gooren

Gooren

Version 1.2.0 is out now!
    + Singleline view mode
    + “Keep Last History Item Record” settings option
    + Favorites can now be auto-sorted by name and/or type
    - Settings window layout improvements

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  9. chrisk

chrisk

Hi, this is an interesting Asset that I've been looking for. The only thing I really like to see is the support for Mouse-Forward/Backward button for moving through the histories, globally(meaning, Mouse-Forward/Backward should work no matter which window is active).
    This feature is the standard feature in UE but I couldn't believe it's not supported in Unity. Unity is notorious for the bad workflow, requiring too much mouse clicks and if you misclick, it's difficult to go back. It should be the standard feature but I guess they don't know it because they don't build games.
    I hope your Asset will help support it.

Thanks.

10. Gooren

Gooren

Hi, I was actually thinking about implementing this before, sounds like an epic feature. It will most likely be added in near future. I will let you know in this thread when it's ready :)

11. chrisk

chrisk

Yup, please let me know when you have that feature is supported. I'll license it right away. Thanks.

12. Gooren

Gooren

Version 1.2.1 is out now!
    + “Open Prefab” button now uses the new prefab workflow Stage Scene instead of custom prefab editor scene
    - Favorites are now sorted after item update (e.g. rename) detected
    - Favorites sort mode is now better synced with settings
    - Compatibility improvements

13. Gooren

Gooren

@chrisk I looked into adding the mouse extra button support. But I found no way of implementing it 100% reliably on all platforms. Unity has no way of hooking these extra buttons in editor. At least i didn't find it - nothing that worked all the time at least.

After some consideration I think it wouldn't sit well with this particular plugin anyway. It is more visual (point&click) than anything. There would be a slight, unpleasant conflict between the two workflows IMO (from the UX perspective).

Sorry to take so long and sorry to disappoint you :(

I hope you found a solution well-fit for your needs.

14. chrisk

chrisk

Hi, Gooren, thanks for getting back to me.
    I'm using a utility tool called NG Nav Selection and it does support mouse Prev/Next.
    There is a free version so, please try it.
    Cheers!
    upload_2019-10-10_5-18-11.png

15. Gooren

Gooren

The NG Nav Selection dev said it - windows only. This means it's implemented like a mouse hook. And impossible(?) to port to Linux and Mac. That's exactly what I wanted to avoid.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  16. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I just bought it!

I have one question I would like to single click on an item in the panel and select it. ( select asset )
    Could you make that please? thanks

17. Gooren

Gooren

Thanks!

Good idea, no reason to not add this feature. I will do that ASAP. Expect an update this, or the next week (depending on how long it takes Unity to accept the submission)

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  18. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Great !
    I'm using the "compact view mode" by the way, its looking nice

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  19. Gooren

Gooren

Version 1.2.2 is out now!
    + Select Scene Object or Prefab by simply clicking the row
    - Unity 2019.3.0b UI fixes

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  20. fmelogno

fmelogno

Hello, I recently bought your unit asset, History and Ultimate Favorites, good job! I have a question, now when I click on an object in the favorites window, the object is focused and selected in hierarchy. Could the opposite be done too? that is, when clicking an object in the hierarchy or Project window, if the object exists in favorites, it is automatically selected in the favorites window.
    Thank you.

21. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

When I updated to the latest version I got one error, I can click it away and it works

Attached Files:

22. Gooren

Gooren

That looks like an error originating from something called Nature Renderer from Visual Cafe. They could be watching assembly reloads for example, and something went wrong this time.

With regards to History & Favorites Ultimate I think everything is alright.

Maybe send that error to Visual Cafe. They have a null reference exception while creating a grass material.
    You could perhaps try to reproduce the error by adding a new script, invoking an assembly reload as a result. That would help guys from Visual Cafe for sure. Together with sending them the image of the console error you posted here.

23. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Sorry wrong place to post, your correct it's form nature renderer

24. Gooren

Gooren

Hi, thanks! :)
    Well... not really sure about the purpose of such functionality? If you could elaborate a little further, I will consider implementing it :)

25. Gooren

Gooren

No problem :)

26. fmelogno

fmelogno

Another similar asset currently does it and is a quick way to verify if an object on the scene is already saved in favorites, is an advantage when the list of favorites is very large.

27. Gooren

Gooren

Ok, thanks for the explanation. Sounds reasonable and will be implemented in the next patch.
    I will also add a toggle setting for it, because some users might prefer their scroll position not to be meddled with. And because I don't like changing default behavior much. It just agitates existing users.

Expect the patch sometimes during the next week (Unity Asset Store verification process took very long last time).

28. fmelogno

fmelogno

Thanks, I'll be waiting anxiously.

29. Gooren

Gooren

Version 1.2.3 with the "highlight selected" feature has been submitted for review. As soon as it hits the store, you will find two new options in the Settings window:
    - "Highlighted Row Color" is self explanatory
    - "Bring Highlighted Into View" enables the 'select list page with the favorite item' behavior

30. Gooren

Gooren

Version 1.2.3 is out now!
    + Item highlight based on selected object
    + “Highlighted Row Color” settings option
    + “Bring Highlighted Into View” settings option

31. fmelogno

fmelogno

Great, I just tried and it's excellent. I just left you a review in the store. It's nice to have this level of support.
    Best regards.

Gooren likes this.
  32. Gooren

Gooren

Thank you :)

33. AdrianoDeRegino

AdrianoDeRegino

This asset support multiple scenes? I mean, have at the same time favorited objects from diferent scenes.
    Thanks.

34. Gooren

Gooren

Hi,

It was designed to work like that, so yes, it supports making favorites across "unlimited" amount of scenes.
    Scene object references (favorites) should survive renaming the scene objects, moving them in the hierarchy, renaming the scene etc.
    In case you buy the asset and it does not work for you for whatever reason, don't hesitate to contact me and I will try my best to get you a refund :)

Cheers!

35. AdrianoDeRegino

AdrianoDeRegino

I´v seen it works with multiple scene, and bought the asset, but there is something annoying, favorite objects in "don't destroy on load" are not selected in play mode, but please consider that, now with unity visual scripting, editing code in playmode is a reality, and selecting those favorites was precisely what I needed before buying the asset, any chance of seeing this feature?

It could be simply the first instance in the scene, anything that would show the code in the graph window.

Thanks.

[EDIT] Didn't saw your reply, thanks for the answer.

36. AdrianoDeRegino

AdrianoDeRegino

upload_2021-1-29_10-39-16.png

Besides the consideration on my last post, my only suggestion would be to make those listing options "in red" optional, they clutter the space and are not necessary if someone has a small number of Favs. I´d find a scroll bar more natural too.

37. AdrianoDeRegino

AdrianoDeRegino

Another interesting UI improvement would be to hide the history panel if one is not recording it, or maybe make all history features optional for those that only use Favorites, that would clear a whole lot of space.

upload_2021-1-29_10-45-48.png

All and all, its a great asset, and so far its being pretty nice to work faster without having to look after my GOs all the time. Congratulations for the good work.

38. Gooren

Gooren

Thank you for all the feedback and the kind words.

I have just submitted version 1.2.4 for review. In this version:
    - I have fixed the DontDestroyOnLoad scene object referencing, but it's still not perfect. The problem is that these GOs are being moved into a separate runtime only scene and I can't even tell from which scene they might have first originated etc. I will have to think more in the future to find a better long term solution.
    - Option to show only History, only Favorites or both tabs has been added to the settings. Nice improvement suggestion btw :)
    - Option to select default category selection has been added as well (this was a feature request from user @BlackManatee ).

I will post here as soon as the update goes live :)

39. AdrianoDeRegino

AdrianoDeRegino

My goodness! I wasn't ready for that! That's awesome!

Thanks!

40. Gooren

Gooren

Version 1.2.4 is out now!
    + It is now possible to set default category selection for new favorites
    + “Enabled Tabs” settings option
    - DontDestroyOnLoad scene objects fixes

41. AdrianoDeRegino

AdrianoDeRegino

Hi, thanks for the update, but for some reason my objects on don't destroy on load are not getting select. Just to feedback.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  42. Gooren

Gooren

I missed your message, sorry for late reply.
    Did you remove the asset folder before importing the new version? This is generally the recommended approach on updating assets.
    There is also one more issue that Unity sometimes downloads older versions of assets still.
    You can verify your version by opening History & Favorites settings window and clicking "About". Does the version label read 1.2.4?

If you really do have that version installed, then I would need to know a few things:
    - When did you add the object to favorites? In or out of play mode?
    - How many scenes were loaded when you tried selecting the object?
    - What Unity version do you have?
    - Would you please also try removing the favorite and adding it again after the update? Does that fix the issue?
    - Is the issue fixed when you add the favorite when inside the play mode?
    - Does the name of the favorite object change when entering and/or while being in play mode?
    - Is the favorite object created only after entering the play mode or is it persistent in the scene?

I'm sorry for the issues, it's just a complicated scenario, since DontDestroyOnLoad is a scene that is only created after entering the play mode and all scene favorites are actually saved as being in a specific scene. So you add the favorite while it's in scene A and then try to select it after Unity has placed it automatically in DontDestroyOnLoad scene.

I somehow omitted this case when designing the asset.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    AdrianoDeRegino likes this.
  43. Gooren

Gooren

Version 1.2.5 is out now!
    + Assembly definition added for improved build times (in case you added your own, feel free to remove it now)
    - Fixed somewhat rare error on various asset imports
    - Fixed word wrapping on some labels