Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Highroad Engine - Arcade Racing solution

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Jan 19, 2017.

1. reuno

reuno

@egem2015 > Thanks a lot for these suggestions! I'll add them to the todo list.

AngelBeatsZzz and MudPuppet like this.
  2. Rzeznik

Rzeznik

Hey, @reuno I really like the arcade style of the simple controller that you implemented in TinyCars demo. However the car with the simple car controller doesn't play well with track parts from the Solid Demo, the car is bouncing (not everytime but often) on the joints of the track parts. You can easily reproduce it by running AirRally scene with one of the tiny cars inside the human slot. Could you please help me with that?

3. reuno

reuno

@Rzeznik > Yeah, that was one of the reasons behind the creation of the Solid controller in the first place :)
    So there's no magic and you can't turn the TinyCars controller into something that would handle that kind of situation without heavy changes. However, you could simply turn colliders off on these pieces, and have a plane act as the ground for the Tiny controller to drive on. That'd be the best solution to get the best of both worlds.

4. Rzeznik

Rzeznik

@reuno thanks for quick response. I've checked the solution with second plane, and in fact it works pretty well, however it bring some troubles with bridges and downhills. Also I've checked mesh combine method documented here https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Mesh.CombineMeshes.html, and tile maps ... without good result, the car was still jumping randomly on road joints.

Finally I end up with .... solid controller, which after few tweaks is behaving pretty much the same as car controller. :)

5. reuno

reuno

@Rzeznik > That was probably the best solution to that particular situation :)

6. toto2003

toto2003

Hello, When I had 10 cars it display all the label on the screen, is there a way to display only the first three? Also How do I setup an auto single player without the need to add bot each time I start a new race? So far the asset do a great job.Thanks for making this

7. f1chris

f1chris

I have too little issues bugging me. Maybe i missed something in the setup.

I’m using the solid controller and Monaco track. I’ve added jumps but :

- when in the air, cars seems to be slowing down. When they touch the ground they almost stall. This is happening fir AI and my car

- when in the air, I can do snow snuff kind of figures ;-) It can be a cool feature for some but how can i disable controls when in the air ?

Thx for your help

EDIT: ok I figured out playing with ridibody Drag value ( < 1.0 ) will help a bit. But have to increase gravity in the -40 range. Even then, car stalls when hitting ground. Something's wrong somewhere !!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    adrog6666 likes this.
  8. adrog6666

adrog6666

oh dude, you added lots of new stuff, awesome thanks

9. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Do you mean in an actual track scene and the Lap/Position/Counter stuff in the GUI which would show 10 lines of info? Personally for ages I have been trying to get it so that I only have that info displaying for the player vehicle.

Also, it is possible to create a button or buttons in the Lobby that can add/remove a bunch of bot vehicles in one click using multiple button click events on the one button. You just need to refer to the methods called on any demo lobby scene that allows you to add/remove a vehicle.

However, this is really only a cheat and having proper auto-adding-of bots and/or random bot selection would be a much nicer/robust solution.

You can also auto-add bots using parts of the Test Mode (method) from the RaceManager class - although most attempts I made at using this within a Local Lobby screwed up the vehicle array index.

toto2003 likes this.
  10. toto2003

toto2003

yes exactly i don t want to display 10 line of Lap/Position/Counter and make the screen overflow with gui text. thanks for the tip for adding an auto single player.

MudPuppet likes this.
  11. FachrulFadly

FachrulFadly

Hi Reuno,
    Is there any plan to add pick up item and using it as weapon, barrier, mine etc like Wipeout and Mario Kart?

MudPuppet and limo like this.
  12. darkSol

darkSol

I was really interested in this asset when it first came out. I tried the demo but found the car physics too simple for my needs. I read there is a more advanced car controller now, but would really like to try this out and get an idea how good it is. Looks like you don't have it in the demo though?

Just to explain what I'm after, there is a really old game called GeneRally that I've been able to modify to have very close to realistic RC racing experience (cars are really really quick and react very well to collisions etc..) It would be amazing if I could use Highroad engine to build my own game very close to what I've done with GeneRally but without it's limitations. I'm a bit skeptical still whether this could be achieved with Highroad, but maybe I'm wrong.

Here's an old crappy video I uploaded just to illustrate.

13. toto2003

toto2003

talking about physics, is there a way to make the apex vehicle to drive on a looping track like the solid vehicle physics?

14. reuno

reuno

@toto2003 > I think @MudPuppet answered most of your questions already. As for the Apex question, no, things like loops are specific to the Solid controller (and the whole point behind its existence in the first place :) )
    @f1chris > The controller tells you when you're grounded or not. From there, preventing input can be done with a simple if.
    @adrog6666 > You're welcome!
    @FachrulFadly > Yes there is, and it's quite high on the todo list. I'll add your vote to it!
    @darkSol > I think your example would be a good fit for the Solid controller, yes. Let me know if it doesn't work out though.

toto2003 likes this.
  15. darkSol

darkSol

Thanks for your response Reuno, but I was really wanting to see an example of, or have a better explanation of the abilities/limitations of the cars in this engine. The demo gave me a really weak impression, but maybe that's not the full capability. Do you have better examples, either in demo form or link to some videos or something of that nature? The cost of the engine isn't my main concern but I hate to devote significant time into this only to discover it's nowhere near my expectations/needs. In fact it's quite a problem for me even to update Unity to the latest version since I have an ongoing hobby project that's built on an older Unity build and would be a bear to update at this point. It would be worth it though if Highroad could handle my racing game idea which is something I've really wanted to do for years.

16. reuno

reuno

@darkSol > If the demos/videos didn't convince you, I don't think anything else will :)
    And if upgrading Unity is a problem then I guess the engine is not a good match indeed.

17. toto2003

toto2003

thanks for the reply, I think I can live without it as the physics is good enough for my need, but I notice there was not sound engine on the apex vehicles, will it be added in the future?

thanks

18. reuno

reuno

@toto2003 > You can see an example of sound in the Solid or TinyCars controller for reference. I may add some to Apex, but it'd be a duplicate of that really.

toto2003 likes this.
  19. darkSol

darkSol

Reuno, the demo does not include the solid car controller, correct? How am I supposed to be convinced (or not) by a demo which doesn't let me try out the one feature that I'm most uncertain about? The videos barely hint at the capability, and it's the "feel" of the cars that is most important.

20. reuno

reuno

@darkSol > The solid controller can't be reduced to one demo. It's a system that can be used to create cars, bikes, skateboards or even characters. The "feel" is what you set it up to be. So it wouldn't make much sense to build just one demo of it, it wouldn't answer your question or convince you in any way. I may add more at some point if other people request it, but right now there's no plan for it.

21. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hello, I have been using HE since it came out for my little arcade racing project. At some point I too will be looking at a Super Sprint clone which is very similar to your video. I have no doubt that the engine can do it and do it well. As Reuno mentioned the 'feel' of the vehicles will be up to the individual but it is quite easy to get the feel you want. In fact the only thing it won't handle out-of-the-box is 'drift' but to my knowledge drift didn't exist in old arcade games until about the time they started to use 3d instead of sprites etc. Also there are dedicated assets to handle drift if required.

I have looked at quite a few race game assets, and apart from some super expensive high-end race game ones, Highroad leaves all of the little ones for dead. In fact I only found one similar product and although it featured a couple of things I would like, the underlying code was an absolute mess (to say the least). In my opinion Reuno's code is the best I have seen in any asset store product (without a doubt) and you will probably read forum posts along those lines as well.

Sure there are some things that have been suggested for Highroad but for the most part they are all achievable with a bit of effort - and I say that as someone who is definitely not a programmer. This includes stuff like vehicle audio, GUI Lap/Time stuff etc etc. There are also quite a few assets on the store that work quite well with HE.

My suggestion would be that if you can afford to buy it you shouldn't be disappointed - but then you can't expect any 'engine' (including Unity3d) to have every single feature etc that you may want in your own game. So I would base my purchasing decision on what the engine has to offer overall. ie: You could remake Super Cars, Super Sprint, Rally X, Wipeout, etc, but then also you have the multiplayer side of things well and truly established too. I have not seen much of multiplayer in any other arcade race game asset.

I hope this info helps somewhat. Me, I thought that $60 was nothing compared to what I got with the product and will never regret the purchase or the time I have spent working on my own project.

toto2003 likes this.
  22. toto2003

toto2003

I try to had sound from the sound engine of tiny car controller, unfortunately my programming skill is quite limited I didn't manage to make it work after an hour fiddle around, if you could had it on the next update that would be appreciated.
    peace

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  23. reuno

reuno

@toto2003 > I've added it to the todo list last time you requested it :)

toto2003 likes this.
  24. Rzeznik

Rzeznik

25. vbaguio

vbaguio

Hello there!
    Thanks for the great asset :) I've been trying to setup the following: Start a game in Unity Editor as Host using UNET, then fire up an Android device with a build to connect. The online lobby works perfectly, but once I start, the following behavior is happening:
    • The countdown on the computer host counts down and then starts the race. Using the arrows I can race without a problem.
    • On the android device, a warning is thrown ("Could not find target object with netId:6 for RPC call ClientRpc:InvokeRpcRpcUpdateStartGameCountdown"), although the netId differed
    • Also, the Device is stuck with the "WAITING FOR PLAYERS" Screen. It's not frozen though, I can still click the buttons and switch camera perspective. I guess, the RPC call from the server doesn't get through to the device.
    • When I close the session as host (by stopping the Play Mode) the Android client gets the message and exits the race scene
    I have the newest Unity Version 2018.3 and the newest version of the asset.
    Is this feature simply not supported, as I would have to implement it myself or do you have any leads to how I can debug this issue?

Thank you!

EDIT: I've tried both Tiny Car and Aphex Demo

EDIT2: I just tried to start one mac build and one Unity editor more, connecting them with ip Localhost, and same warning / behavior occurs. Also, this warning gets thrown beforehand, could this be the culprit?
    DontDestroyOnLoad only work for root GameObjects or components on root GameObjects.
    UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkLobbyPlayer:Start()

EDIT3: Last one!! There is also an Exception thrown on the Client.
    IndexOutOfRangeException: ReadString() too long: 52427
    UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkReader.ReadString () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Networking/Runtime/NetworkReader.cs:297)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    BossClaw likes this.
  26. reuno

reuno

@vbaguio > I'm afraid you'll have a hard time debugging this, Unity stopped support for Unet (https://forum.unity.com/threads/unet-in-2018-3-0f2-is-broken.599644/), and I don't think it'll work after 2018.2.20 (it should work before that one though).
    That was one of the reason behind the addition of the PUN partnership to add support for it, and I'm waiting to see what Unity does on that front to see what I implement next in terms of network. Maybe Mirror, that sounds like a nice way to go.

27. vbaguio

vbaguio

Okay, good to know. I'll check out PUN or downgrade my Unity Version. Thank you!

28. vbaguio

vbaguio

@reuno So I just setup the PUN Free Service in the Highroad Engine, and Matchmaking, Lobby, Race Start and End seem to work, but the laps and the vehicles transform are not updated across the clients. Also I cannot connect to the Photon Matchmaker on my Android Device. Any quick tips to solve this issue in the Asset?

Do you recommend debugging the Photon Service, or use a different service?

29. reuno

reuno

30. vbaguio

vbaguio

Thank you so much for your help. I will make sure to connect with the Photon team :)

So I just tried to import the Highroad Engine to a new 2018.2 project, but it got updated to 2018.3 by itself. Any chance I can get an older version of the Highroad Engine that is still in 2018.2?

31. reuno

reuno

@vbaguio > That's weird, if you install an "old" version of Unity and download from the store, you'll get the engine version for that Unity version (or the oldest in line). Maybe try erasing your Unity cache.

32. maxaud

maxaud

I’m looking at getting this simply for the vehicle controller. Looking at the documentation it looks like it’s pretty easy to simply use just that script? I also have the need for zero drift/slide on one vehicle, is that as simple as adjusting the grip parameter? Additionally, another vehicle I will have in my game is a tank. Can this be adapted easily for that or would I be better off having a different controller for that? Thank you!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  33. maxaud

maxaud

Additionally, as I can see in the demo game the vehicle body just tilts to the side when turning. On the newer Solid Vehicle Controller is that leaning smooth and does the suspension bounce or bob at all?

34. reuno

reuno

@maxaud > Sure, it's easy to just use the controller.
    In the documentation you'll see an example of a new vehicle creation (a bike), and the grip is the main thing it changes, such are drag forces on the rigidbody.
    I guess the tank could use the same controller as well. How hard or easy that would be really depends on your skill level with Unity.
    And yes, the Solid controller is based on suspensions, and doesn't have any forced tilt, just "real" one.

maxaud likes this.
  35. maxaud

maxaud

Thanks for the quick response. I’m having a hard time finding any videos on the solid controller and some gameplay with it. Do you have any video references? Thank you.

36. reuno

reuno

@maxaud > There's no dedicated video, just a full documentation and multiple examples.

maxaud likes this.
  37. maxaud

maxaud

Ok, thank you. Trying to determine if it’s right for my project. I can only gleam so much from documentation and still shots. Maybe I will search around and see if anyone else has made any videos.

reuno likes this.
  38. vbaguio

vbaguio

In case someone else has the similar problem: I opened the project using Unity Hub and it just updated the project. I created a new 2018.2 project using the Unity 2018.2 without Unity Hub and imported it directly in the "new project" dialog and it did not update the project automatically to Unity 2018.3. And in 2018.2 the UNET support works like a charm :)

reuno likes this.
  39. reuno

reuno

@vbaguio > Thanks for letting people know!

40. jugueton

jugueton

Hi, found a weird bug. The touch controls don't work properly with the solid controller. Tapping the arrow buttons turn the car but it doesn't animate the wheel turning, also pressing the a and b buttons move the car but the particles dont show. Using a controller or keyboard produces the correct behaviour so it's definitely the touch controls implementation.
    The link to the android demo is dead so can't check if it works properly. Anyone else with this problem?
    It can be reproduced on an new project just by switching to android and bulding an apk of any solid demo scene or playing it on the editor. On any other platform just switch the touch control's force mode to mobile.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  41. reuno

reuno

@jugueton > That issue's never been reported before, and I don't reproduce it. From a fresh (latest) install I can force input (or switch to the platform) to iOS or Android and the wheels turn fine. I don't see how the car could turn without the wheels turning, both things are linked to the same input, so having one without the other is very strange.
    If the problem persists, please send me more info on the support email on how I can reproduce the problem from a fresh install (including Unity and asset version), thanks.

42. jugueton

jugueton

The issue on the editor seems hit and miss, on an android build i have reproduce the issue on two separate PCs and 3 different android devices using unity 2018.3.0f2 and 2018.3.1f1. Sent you a support email with details

43. reuno

reuno

@jugueton > I got your email yesterday, thanks. I still haven't been able to reproduce any of this though, I'll get back to you as soon as I do.

44. jugueton

jugueton

Made a quick videocapture of an android build of the bridge scene running on an huawei honor 10, same results on galaxy s7 and nexus 9. Clean project, nothing changed other than the keystores

45. reuno

reuno

@jugueton > As I said before, I'll get back to you as soon as I manage to reproduce and understand your problem.

46. MithosKuu

MithosKuu

I picked up the engine the other day and have been toying around with it since. I've modified the Aphex vehicles into speedboats and so far the results have been great, though I'm struggling to make a desired improvement.

Would it be possible to get a modified version of the Aphex vehicles that used vertex animated meshes for the ground instead? That would let people easily make power boats that rose and fell on waves.

MudPuppet likes this.
  47. reuno

reuno

@MithosKuu > I can add that to the todo list, but that sounds extremely specific :)

48. ayk

ayk

If the engine were updated to support boats/water physics, that would be awesome! Then it'd cover all the major racing types.

49. reuno

reuno

@ayk > Interest noted.

ayk likes this.
  50. AngelBeatsZzz

AngelBeatsZzz

Hi, does the "Highroad Engine" have a dashboard and acceleration system?