Search Unity

[RELEASED] Highroad Engine - Arcade Racing solution

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Jan 19, 2017.

1. reuno

reuno

@MudPuppet > It's a good suggestion, although in most arcade games I can think of (micro machines, mario kart, that kind of stuff) the timer works as it does now. I'll add that to the list, but in the meantime it's very easy to implement on your own, it's just a counter.

2. reuno

reuno

@subtlefly > That's not something that's possible in 1.0 without any change I'm afraid. But it's already included in the upcoming v1.1, which should hit soon, along with a lot of new stuff.
    In the meantime, you can use the RaceManager's TestMode to bypass the lobby (see http://highroad-engine-docs.moremountains.com/race.html#racemanager). That's not exactly what you're after, but maybe it'll help.

3. subtlefly

subtlefly

thanks Reuno I am going to keep playing around with it!

reuno likes this.
  4. subtlefly

subtlefly

Hi Reuno I kind of got it to work! modding1.PNG

reuno likes this.
  5. subtlefly

subtlefly

not very elegant solution I am sure but I can get the peralta cruising around in the standard assets car environment so I am calling that a win!

6. subtlefly

subtlefly

Hi team!
    So now I can get a new car working by duplicating the peralta prefab, renaming it and then linking a new mesh into the renamed prefab. All working great, but where is the car list for the online lobby? I can see references to the list (AvailableVehiclesPrefabs I think in the online Lobby manager), but I cant find the actual list where the car names are.. like in the race manager there is a list where I had to add my new car name -Rocketo to get it to show up as a selection)
    Team any pointers at this stage would be great! I would also like some help to tweak the physics so I can get these cars performing barrel rolls off of sloped ramps.. my experiments so far show that they stay level in the air- which makes sense in a mobile game, but I would like to see what is possible !
    Thanks for any and all advice and have a great day
    sub
    newCar2.png

7. subtlefly

subtlefly

Hey I found the list for the network cars in the inspector! So now I have my new car working for online play.. but now I am getting an error saying
    DontDestroyOnLoad only work for root GameObjects or components on root GameObjects.
    UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkLobbyPlayer:Start()
    Its only a warning and the game still works but this is probably not great!

8. subtlefly

subtlefly

Yeh played around and fixed it, Rocketo car working in online play with no warning.. sad thing is I dont even know what I did.. reimported the highroad assets and did the connections again to my NetRocketo car and now its all good!!
    Only thing I dont know now is how to get the little thumbnail to work.. they are all in the one .PNG... what do I need to search for in Unity to make this happen? I can add the extra image but how do I get the C# to just look at that one bit?
    Thanks again all! Sorry to spam your thread Reuno but I am just so excited to be able to tweak your excellent asset like this and the students I work with will really appreciate this as a learning tool!
    thanks again all:)
    sub

9. reuno

reuno

@subtlefly > Ok so first of all there's no team, it's just me :)
    And please use the support email for support requests, it's really hard for me to keep track otherwise, thanks!

As for the image, you can set that via the Vehicleinformation component. Whether they're all in one .png (it's called a spritesheet) or not is not important, you just need an Image.
    And for the physics, loops, ramps and stuff are coming in the next update. I wouldn't recommend trying it with the current controller, that's not what it's been built for :)

10. serberusno1

serberusno1

Looks great, quick question though- can I implement my own vehicle physics into this instead of using what's bundled in the asset? I have a couple of racing game prototypes already made- one traditional cars, the other is a hovercraft style racing game. I love the physics I have in both prototypes and I've spent weeks setting a ton of vehicles up just the way I like them. So can I use this asset to create lap based races with the physics I already have? And also, can I apply the same physics to any AI bots but still have them find their way around the circuit reliably?

11. reuno

reuno

@serberusno1 > It's certainly doable to use a different controller, although it'll require some work on your part to have your controller match the engine's specifics. That said, if you already know how to code car controllers, coding a lap counter shouldn't take you more than a few minutes, and might be much faster than adapting your controllers to Highroad. As for AI, it all depends on your controller, there's no generic answer to that question.

12. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hello, I thought that might share a bit of a 'Work-in-Progress' montage as I have been working with the Highroad Engine for about 7 months now. I am targeting iOS for this project and it has been not only a challenge, as I am not a programmer by any means, but definitely well worth the effort and loads of fun to play on the phone.
    WorkInProgress.jpg

BossClaw, Rzeznik, jonfinlay and 4 others like this.
  13. serberusno1

serberusno1

Thanks Reuno, I didn't code anything myself I'm simply using another asset I purchased for my car controllers. Unfortunately I only have a very, very basic understanding of code- not even enough to code a lap counter I'm afraid. Thanks anyway. I'll look into it further though

14. reuno

reuno

@serberusno1 > Oh ok! Then in that case, if you absolutely want to use your own controller and HR, I wouldn't recommend buying it. Using custom controllers is doable, and not really hard, but it requires at least basic scripting knowledge, and I can't see any way around that.

15. derkoi

derkoi

Hi, how many cars maximum can this support? I've added 30 starting points and modified RaceManager to allow 30 cars maximum, they spawn but only the first 4 cars are controlled by AI, the others do not move.

16. reuno

reuno

17. derkoi

derkoi

reuno likes this.
  18. mattjbarbosa

mattjbarbosa

I got this recently when it was on sale as I love the Corgi engine. I was wondering if any Drift mechanics might be coming with the next update?

19. reuno

reuno

@mattjbarbosa > Drift is on the todo list. It probably won't be in the next update though, or maybe not as you think. The next update will focus on modular tracks and a new, more advanced controller.

20. jGate99

jGate99

@reuno
    please also improve car collision in next update, as it just look terrible.
    Thanks

21. reuno

reuno

@JohnGate > the next update includes a new controller, it improves them a bit. Then it all depends on what you expect, it's possible to add specific behaviours if you want to push other cars around, etc.

jGate99 likes this.
  22. reuno

reuno

Good news everyone, I've just submitted v1.1 of the Highroad Engine to the Asset Store. It should be available for download as soon as Unity approves the update, usually takes a few days. Note that it requires the latest version of Unity (2017.1.1f1), so make sure you're up to date if after downloading it doesn't show the latest version.

Among the new stuff, the most important is the new Solid vehicle controller, which opens much more possibilities than the pre-existing controllers, which were much more simpler (by design). Now if you want to, you'll be able to take loops, drive on uneven terrain, and much more. It comes with dedicated demos, ready to use trackpieces, a few improvements here and there and minor bugfixes. I hope you'll like this new version! Here's the release trailer :

And here are the complete release notes :
    - Adds a totally new physics controller named Solid with more dynamic behavior
    - Adds two new tracks using Solid controller : a playground scene to test the controller and a racing track called monaco
    - Adds 5 new solid cars models including a pickup truck
    - Adds AutoForward mode option in vehicle inspector
    - Stuck AI can now respawn automatically to the last checkpoint
    - Human players have a respawn button to move back to last checkpoint
    - Includes 16 modular blocks for easy level creation : straight, curves, loops, etc.
    - New Parallel Camera with mouse control
    - Adds better skidmarks that works with uneven ground and loopings
    - Adds a separate smoke effects component
    - Adds a new sparkles effect when car is colliding
    - Easier test mode component in RaceManager inspector. You just have to drop a Prefab in the list
    - Updates game GUI with car names for bots
    - Adds an enum for Update Camera movement (update, fixed, late). That way you can fine tune the camera movement depending on the scene
    - Updates splashscreen to 5.6 Unity SplashScreen functionnality
    - Renames Camera Controllers & manager scripts
    - Changes _players public var in RaceManager into a public Property
    - Adds more space for car names in game UI
    - Camera changed from LateUpdate to FixedUpdate for stutter correction
    - Fixes DistanceToNextWaypoint using incorrect checkpoint
    - Adds a minimal impact velocity check before playing crash sound
    - Fixes 4 human players and non multiplayer camera configured first
    - Game now don't validate checkpoint when going reverse
    - Changes MAX_PLAYERS var to const field

23. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Just checked it out - looks awesome

Bought this a few weeks ago but not had a chance to play with it yet!

reuno likes this.
  24. thepixart

thepixart

hello, can this be used to create isometric racing with a camera above player that follows the player? Like your example

but isometric? so something like this, and the camera also turns when the player turns.

levelred.png

25. reuno

reuno

@thepixart > There's no top down isometric camera built-in (it's quite specific :) ), but easily doable, yes.

thepixart likes this.
  26. thepixart

thepixart

thanks for the info! do things like this "highroad engine" have sale or there's a seasonal sale in the webstore? like chrismast sale like steam sale?

im really interested in trying it, so i will wait for a sale, but i know nothing of unity webstore. thankyou

27. reuno

reuno

@thepixart > There are sales sometimes. Unity decides if and when they happen, not me. I don't know if they're seasonal or not. In a year, Highroad only got on sale for a few days in July or August IIRC.

thepixart likes this.
  28. ostrich160

ostrich160

Hi Reuno
    Just brought this pack after being a huge fan of the Corgi Engine, however I see on the release something about this Solid controller, but I cant find it anywhere in my project. I've tried reimporting the asset but its not there

29. reuno

reuno

ostrich160 likes this.
  30. ostrich160

ostrich160

reuno likes this.
  31. thepixart

thepixart

hello reuno, i just bough highroad but i have super bad internet. is there any other way to download it outside of unity app (it keeps giving me blank white page)?

maybe a resumable link? so i can keep resuming the download. Even better a torrent is available so i can repair the download in case it got corrupted

thankyou

32. thepixart

thepixart

hello reuno, i just bough highroad but i have super bad internet. is there any other way to download it outside of unity app (it keeps giving me blank white page)?

maybe a resumable link? so i can keep resuming the download. Even better a torrent is available so i can repair the download in case it got corrupted

thankyou

33. thepixart

thepixart

nevermind! it finally loads and downloading! :D

EDIT:
    okay it is installed now.... and... nothing?

is there an example project where i can just replace the assets?
    how do i use Highroad engine in a new project?

the docs says "
    Is there a tutorial or something ?" to go to http://highroad-engine-docs.moremountains.com/API/ but theres no tutorial in that page :(

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  34. reuno

reuno

thepixart likes this.
  35. thepixart

thepixart

How do I?
    Import/open /use highroad engine for the first time?
    1. Open Asset Store from Unity
    2. Search for Highroad Engine
    3. Click IMPORT

hopefully it can help other total noobs like me to get started :D

EDIT: if anyone know how to do it while offline, please share

36. reuno

reuno

@thepixart > Check out Unity's documentation. I'm sure they have a tutorial for using the asset store. I'm sorry but I can't cover the absolute basics, this has nothing to do with the engine, and if you can't even import it, I'd strongly suggest following a few basic Unity tutorials, as it's kind of a prerequisite to use the engine, which in the end is "just" a Unity project, so of course you need to know how to use Unity first.

Edit : while offline? How to download something while offline? Boy that's gonna be tough. You can't import the package while offline. It's downloading it from Unity's servers.

thepixart likes this.
  37. thepixart

thepixart

Hi again, finally i got my model to run in the demo but i cant add partcle effects. It just blank like in the screenshot. So i cant add effect like in the tutorial.

particles.jpg

any idea where i got wrong?

btw i found the offline highroad. It can be manually imported thru C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x\More Mountains\Complete ProjectsSystems

38. reuno

reuno

@thepixart > That's not really unusual, I'm not sure what you're trying to do but that panel is supposed to be blank. You're supposed to bind a particle system to that field. Again, really, you should have a look at some Unity entry level tutorials, otherwise you won't get very far. I'm not a Unity teacher, sorry, Unity's website will do a much better job than I would.

39. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

I might pick this up in the next sale. Why I didn't before was that it's perhaps a tad too arcade, I appreciate that's the intention of the developer but are there any options to adjust the feel of the physics? Another thing that put me off was the player select screen, can that be easily disabled so it is automatically setup for one player vs the AI? Cheers.

40. reuno

reuno

@jonfinlay > You can certainly tweak physics, but compared to a realistic system it'll be of course limited at some point. As for the player select screen, it's just an example, of course you can replace it with whatever you prefer, it's just a placeholder.

jonfinlay likes this.
  41. gamescorpion

gamescorpion

Hey all, using Highroad Engine saved me a good deal of time, still though took me a while to get everything up and running. If you're still on the fence about Highroad Engine, take a look at my results below (Totally worth it for me, so I highly recommend it if you're making a race game)! Finally got my game out, 200+ hours of development time all on my own, here is what I was able to accomplish:

SCREENSHOTS:

Thanks guys for your awesome helpful asset :)

Action Racing 3D Ultimate Race can be downloaded via these links below:
    iOS (Releases Tomorrow Nov. 2nd, 2017): http://bit.ly/AR3D_iOS
    Google Play: http://bit.ly/AR3D_GooglePlay
    Amazon: (Releases Tomorrow Nov. 2nd, 2017): http://bit.ly/AR3D_Amazon

Abhinav Gupta
    Lead Developer and CEO
    Game Scorpion Inc.

42. reuno

reuno

@gamescorpion > Thanks a lot for sharing this! It's awesome to see that, really.
    I'll get it on iOS as soon as it's out :)

gamescorpion likes this.
  43. thepixart

thepixart

hello again reuno,

can you give me a clue how to make the hover cars respawn to checkpoint when they are out of track?
    I have put the out of track terrain into "Respawn" tag but nothing happens when the hover cars goes into the "respawn" tagged terrain.

thankyou

44. reuno

reuno

@thepixart > That's not what the respawn tag is for. To do what you're after, you'd have to modify (or better, extend) the BaseController's OnTriggerEnter method to add a simple control on the colliding object, such as :

if (other.tag == "Respawn")
    {
    Respawn();
    }

Careful though, the AirCarController doesn't implement any Respawn method (not useful on the demo tracks), but you can have a look at how the SolidController does it for reference.

45. bravery

bravery

Hello reuno,

I'm using the solid controller to build my car, however I need to do a small modification to limit the rotation around the Y access, so the car can only turn to left or right with specific limit (not 360 as current situation), now I dig in the code and find that the function control turn is: UpdateTorqueRotation()
    but could not processed further, so is it possible to give a clue about the best way to limit the turn left or right?

46. reuno

reuno

@bravery > You're right, that's the method you'd need to modify, for example by adding the following code :
    Code (CSharp):
    2. if (IsGrounded)
    3. {
    4.                 // We don't do anything if car is at max orientation
    5.                 float carOrientation = transform.rotation.eulerAngles.y;
    6.                 if (carOrientation < 320 && carOrientation > 180 && CurrentSteeringAmount <= 0 )
    7.                 {
    8.                     return;
    9.                  }
    11.                 if (carOrientation > 45 && carOrientation < 180 && CurrentSteeringAmount >= 0 )
    12.                 {
    13.                     return;
    14.                 }
    15. }
    And you'd get something like that : https://imgur.com/a/IUPJA

47. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hey, just a minor suggestion... some kind of indicator that tells the player they are going the wrong way. I believe that some games flash up some text and others have a 3d arrow. For my own project I just threw the direction arrows onto the Mini-Map. Starting to look at dirt tracks now and then I will probably see what I can do about using the Solid Controller. RGT_DirtTrackSample.jpg

gamescorpion likes this.
  48. reuno

reuno

@MudPuppet > Great suggestion. Added to the list, thanks!
    Btw, your game really looks awesome mate :)

49. KamilPaciorek

KamilPaciorek

hello, how change myplayer name?

50. reuno

reuno

@KamilPaciorek > Please use the support email, and please elaborate a little, what player name are you referring to?