Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[ 2021 ] Hierarchy Pro - Auto HighLighter

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mr_duke, Jul 2, 2017.

?

What kind of updates would you like to see for this assets?

1. update for highlighter (interface, features)

2. update for bookmarks (interface, features)

3. update for project view (revert bottom, other features)

4. update for top bar (position, features)

5. update for right mods (display style, additional mods)

6. other update (type what kind)

7. fix bugs (type what kind of bugs)

8. less price

9. video tutoriasls, reviews

10. site, help page, wiki page, documentations, etc

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. AGregori

AGregori

Enhanced Hierarchy 2.0 is the next best thing. In fact it seems to be the only remaining hierarchy asset still maintained.
    Rainbow Hierarchy is also updated, but it's just an eye candy asset.

2. seldemirov

seldemirov

Hello! I recently bought the Hierarchy PRO. Now I have found out that this product is no longer supported. Do you plan to replace an outdated product with a new one for those who have already spent money?

3. MostHated

MostHated

I am using this as we speak with 2020.1.0b15 and it is working great for me.

I really hope it's not abandoned as I have been using it for about 3 years and it is honestly my most used asset. There is not a single project that doesn't have it in there. It's one of the few I wish Unity would add in as native to the editor.

Fingers crossed, I suppose. : /

dsilverthorn likes this.
  4. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

The dev is not completely gone, this week he updated his other asset to 2020.
    So... there is hope for this too.
    So far, I'm not having any issues now with this on 2019.2. :)

Stexe likes this.
  5. mr_duke

mr_duke

Yeah, I didn’t expect that this asset still have a fans, Thank you all! Thank you all! Thank you all! Infinity times! I’m almost finished new remaster, it will be completely redesigned code, but there is no support for the older versions and there is no the nice bottom bar interface (because units since 2017.2 started create many obstacles to integration, so in 2019.3 it became absolutely impossible to do safe integration)
    So highlight will be a new cache system, there will be no more stupid dlls used to support the cheap version and the pro version, there will be a new great performance, I have add the batching for gl drawer, I couldn’t add it in before because I couldn’t get event that inform me when the first and last drawing actions happened, now I’ve found a solution. A rare version can use about 1,500 dravcalls with a large number of modules (the problem is that the unity calls hierarchy gui line by line, and I can’t draw the whole column right away, I have to switch between columns every line, line by line and redraw different modules over and over again), so it is very large, now it is around 20-30.
    also now each module integrates and subscribes to events separately, i.e. you can now completely turn off the unused parts of the asset. Also as a bonus, I added an integration to the top tools bar, and added tabs for switching layouts as the web browser. I honestly didn’t think to go back to the asset, because there were a absolutely stable and fast unity 5.6 version but my assette was getting worse with every new unity update. But, now, when I found a way to detect the last drawing's event, I immediately decided to do a new version, The truth this take more time than I expected, and much more))) So here. Anyway, thanks for being here, I thought it’d be, uh, lame, where’d you leave, bitch, give me the money back, or somethingt like that, i don't now =) but, here is such a loyal attitude, It's more of a body high.
    Saves for previous version is not supported in the new, the new version will be installed in a separate folder and you will be able to switch between them or use at the same time.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  6. Stexe

Stexe

I really enjoy the asset, just wish it was updated so glad to hear something new is coming out. Maybe a a free update or discount for existing users or something? Thanks!

dsilverthorn likes this.
  7. mr_duke

mr_duke

Free for those who have open source version, also there will be a special update for those who have depricated $5 version. So now there will only be an open source version

dsilverthorn and Stexe like this.
  8. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Very glad to see you back. I've even looked into other solutions, but not could give me a good enough feeling to stop using yours. I was planning to keep using it until nothing would work. :)

Now I don't have to worry.:D

It is still working well for what I need in 2019.2. I am constantly using the quick enable buttons and the component dropdowns. Those alone makes it worth it!

Looking forward to the new version!!!

Will your website be back?
    It was a nice one that gave a good view of the workings of all your assets. ;)
    I used to pull it just to refresh the use of things that I had not used in a while.

edit: Just checked and the website is back! Not fully up, but is at least back online.

WELCOME BACK! YOU'VE BEEN MISSED!!

mr_duke and Stexe like this.
  9. Stexe

Stexe

Sounds good. I decided to update to the open source version based on that. Looking forward to it. =)

dsilverthorn likes this.
  10. umair21

umair21

Glad you are back @mr_duke . We've missed your update because this asset, worth each dollar and still it was on $5 which was, almost like a free asset. Glad something new is coming. Can you tell us when are we going to see this new asset? And will it have support for Unity 2018.x?

11. mr_duke

mr_duke

I think on Monday

It is indeed evocative that around the 20 July in 2017 this asset was published first time, so asset alive for three years now =) It was $1 or something like that, and included only two buttons, to Freeze and SetActive the object, so for 11 days it raised $8 =)

As for the 2018 support, while not, Unity team have added tasty api functions in 2019.3 that I used in plugin, so I even didn't try to launch 2019.2, mby there's a new api in this, too. Probably it can be done by disabling the 7-10 plugin functions, or mby 2018.4 will work, I don't know now. 2019.1.0-2019.1.7 has one method for objects padding, 2019.1.7-2019.2.0 has a different, 2019.2.0-2019.3 again different meothod, this is realy headache

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    MostHated and umair21 like this.
  12. umair21

umair21

Good to know, I just purchased the open source version of this asset just so I could get the new one. XD
    Why was this open source version 75% off?

13. mr_duke

mr_duke

That you didn't like assets 3 year birthday party:)? You already had a lite version, so before a huge upgrade this is a small gift, because the lite version is out of date

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    umair21 likes this.
  14. zKici

zKici

Just to confirm, i have the
    Hierarchy + Project PRO + C# since October, yet never used it. Will the new working version be free or?

15. mr_duke

mr_duke

16. zKici

zKici

Where do I get this open source version from?

17. mr_duke

mr_duke

Hierarchy + Project PRO + C# - this is it, seems you already own it, i'll replace this asset on monday.

Stexe and zKici like this.
  18. umair21

umair21

Lol! Happy birthday Hierarchy Pro. :D
    I must say, this asset is a MUST have asset in EACH and EVERY project that we should start. :D

mr_duke likes this.
  19. zKici

zKici

looking forward to the update finally! Welcome back

20. MostHated

MostHated

I think it might be a good idea to clarify the name/description. Open-source implies that the source code is publically open and freely available (as in, can be obtained at no cost/charge). I think that it might be better to change that to "Source-included", meaning that if you purchase and own a usage license, you then have access to the source code.

This might help prevent future issues, because if people are under the impression that it is indeed and actually "open-source", that would mean they are allowed to share the source code with others without the receiving party having purchased a license, which I feel is not the case? I could be mistaken about this.

21. mr_duke

mr_duke

Yeah, you’re right, I just did’t understand the meaning of the "open". Thanks for help! I’ve always, everywhere, used the "Source" together with "Open" before ^^

MostHated likes this.
  22. umair21

umair21

It's monday, are we going to see new asset today? :)

23. mr_duke

mr_duke

I meant that I think it will on Monday, but my thoughts do not always coincide with reality ))) Most likely not, I will send submission soon, in a couple of hours I think, probably assetsstore's team won't have time to approve it today, however mby yes, 10% yes 90% no. I'm doing my best. I estimate my productivity at about 70%, this is mostly highest, it's usually around 40. It remains to finish the settings windows, insert pictures with hints, and add menu, and files with examples, and yet, some kind of bug with modules buttons, for some strange reason, they stop clicking from time to time

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    Stexe likes this.
  24. umair21

umair21

LoL! That's kinda sad but yeah, we can wait for it a little bit longer. :p

25. Stexe

Stexe

Soon™ ... would have been shocked if he actually had it out today. Patience. =)

26. mr_duke

mr_duke

The assetsstore team works pretty fast, it's already alive, two years ago the publication took 7 days, then 3 work days, now publication takes just a day, is just a lightning-fast, but, but, but, I did a mistake, asset cannot create the settings folders, but, you can create it manually, there're also some problems with layout tabs, but I already sent a new version for submiting in the morning, I hope it will be available tonight.
    I also have not yet added the highlighter, now I’m working on the site, then will add highlighter I hope I can done the highlighter changes today

Stexe likes this.
  27. Stexe

Stexe

Awesome stuff. Do you know if you could make a video showing off the most common features and stuff too? Would be super useful for people looking to buy the asset as well and those of us who have only scratched the surface of it. Maybe reach out to Infallible Code and work with them on making a video? They do great work making videos and promoting other assets.

28. mr_duke

mr_duke

Yeah, thanks for advice, I'll take a look at his video. But finally, I’ll make a myown video, I’ve already drafted the text, In totally I'm not much interested in promotion and reaching high sales of asset, and won't get involved with anyone to promote my works, I just want to provide good stuffs, but I plan to practice my own ways of promotion =), it’s not a bad way to get some experience. My life choices are improving the my speed, or speed of my learning, not making profits from long-term projects D. For example, if I cannot create an operating system in 3 months, I shouldn't start and spend 3 years developing it, I should spend 3 years to improve my speedrate, to, after three years, create it in 3 months, or not ^^

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  29. macube

macube

Work this with unity 2019.x ?

30. mr_duke

mr_duke

not tested 2019.2 but probably works, but there may be some issues with indentation, 2019.1 is probably not now
    while the asset is marked as "works with 2019.3 without issue"

Stexe likes this.
  31. macube

macube

Thx, but on Unity 2019.4. i get this error message after import:

System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path '...\Assets\EMX\HierarchyUltra\Editor\Settings'.
    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError (System.Int32 errorCode, System.String maybeFullPath) [0x000f7] in <fb001e01371b4adca20013e0ac763896>:0
    at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1[TSource].HandleError (System.Int32 hr, System.String path) [0x00006] in <fb001e01371b4adca20013e0ac763896>:0
    at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1[TSource].CommonInit () [0x00054] in <fb001e01371b4adca20013e0ac763896>:0
    at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1[TSource]..ctor (System.String path, System.String originalUserPath, System.String searchPattern, System.IO.SearchOption searchOption, System.IO.SearchResultHandler`1[TSource] resultHandler, System.Boolean checkHost) [0x000d6] in <fb001e01371b4adca20013e0ac763896>:0

32. mr_duke

mr_duke

Yes, this is a stupid mistake
    You can create 3 folders manually:

Assets\EMX\HierarchyUltra\Editor\Settings\
    Assets\EMX\HierarchyUltra\Editor\_SAVED_DATA\.EditorSettings\
    Assets\EMX\HierarchyUltra\Editor\_SAVED_DATA\.SavedLayouts\

Or you can wait a half a day, I have already sent the new version for review in the morning, it should be available soon. Thank You!

Stexe likes this.
  33. adndima

adndima

after pressing any of the top buttons, the functionality no longer responds to any presses

Hierarchy Version 2020.1

upload_2020-7-22_18-36-43.png

34. mr_duke

mr_duke

Interestingly, I had no problems with 2019.3.13, will try to install 2019.4.4
    if you find the cause of the problem let me know please. Thank you!

Update: yes, it's problem with 2019.4. Went to fix

Fixed: I sent you a script, and also sent it to publish.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    adndima likes this.
  35. MostHated

MostHated

I tried to use the new version that came out, but unfortunately, I got a bunch of errors in 2020.1.0b16 and 2020.1.0f1. I had to go back to my previously installed "Hierarchy Project PRO C" 2019.3 version.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    EMX.HierarchyUltra.Editor.Mods.SetActiveMod.FirstFrameOnGUI () (at Assets/EMX/HierarchyUltra/Editor/Scripts/ModsScripts/Hierarchy Mods/SetActiveMod/SetActiveMod.cs:144)
    EMX.HierarchyUltra.Editor.PluginInstance.gui (System.Int32 instanceID, UnityEngine.Rect selectionRect) (at Assets/EMX/HierarchyUltra/Editor/Scripts/Root.cs:599)

Exception: imguiContainer
    EMX.HierarchyUltra.Editor.Mods.ToolBarModification._install (System.Boolean resinstall, System.Boolean remove) (at Assets/EMX/HierarchyUltra/Editor/Scripts/ModsScripts/Integrated Mods/ToolBarModification/ToolBarModification.cs:366)
    EMX.HierarchyUltra.Editor.Mods.ToolBarModification.Update () (at Assets/EMX/HierarchyUltra/Editor/Scripts/ModsScripts/Integrated Mods/ToolBarModification/ToolBarModification.cs:70)
    EMX.HierarchyUltra.Editor.PluginInstance.Update () (at Assets/EMX/HierarchyUltra/Editor/Scripts/PluginInstanceScripts/Update.cs:136)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at <b17f35b08b864a3ca09a7032b437596e>:0)

GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced.
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&)

36. mr_duke

mr_duke

The new hierarchy version included fix will be awaliable to download in about 12 hours, I have not tried 2020 yet, because the highlighter is not ready yet. But I have to fix it in time.

37. adndima

adndima

Yes, I also have an error in version 2020.1.0f1

38. mr_duke

mr_duke

Update is alive, now it works fine for 2020.1 and 2020.2

MostHated likes this.
  39. MostHated

MostHated

Looks like things are working well in 2020.1, though, I did come across one issue.

When I click on the [ + ] button up at the top to add a new layout to the list (the button in the image below), it ends up giving an error message, which is in the spoiler tag below.

Code (CSharp):
    1. AmbiguousMatchException: Ambiguous match found.
    2. --------------------------------------------------------
    4. [Exception] AmbiguousMatchException: Ambiguous match found.
    5. RuntimeType.GetMethodImpl() at <fb001e01371b4adca20013e0ac763896>:0
    7. Type.GetMethod() at <fb001e01371b4adca20013e0ac763896>:0
    9. LayoutsMod.DrawLayers() at /EMX/HierarchyUltra/Editor/Scripts/ModsScripts/Integrated Mods/ToolBarModification/LayoutsMod.cs:468
    10. 466:       }
    11. 467:   }
    12. -->468:   var GetModeDataSection = typeof(EditorApplication).Assembly.GetType("UnityEditor.ModeService").GetMethod("GetModeDataSection", ~BindingFlags.Instance);
    13. 469:   if (GetModeDataSection.Invoke(null, new object[] { ModeService.currentIndex, "layouts" }) is IList<object>)
    14. 470:   {
    16. ToolBarModification+<>c__DisplayClass18_0.<_install>b__4() at /EMX/HierarchyUltra/Editor/Scripts/ModsScripts/Integrated Mods/ToolBarModification/ToolBarModification.cs:270
    17. 268:   GUILayout.BeginHorizontal();
    18. 269:   if (p.par_e.TOPBAR_SWAP_LEFT_RIGHT) { if (p.par_e.DRAW_TOPBAR_HOTBUTTONS) hotButtons.DrawButtonsOnTopBar(); }
    19. -->270:   else if (p.par_e.DRAW_TOPBAR_LAYOUTS_BAR) layoutsMod.DrawLayers();
    20. 271:   if (p.par_e.DRAW_TOPBAR_CUSTOM_RIGHT) if (EMX.CustomizationHierarchyUltra.ExtensionInterface_TopBarOnGUI.onRightLayoutGUI != null) EMX.CustomizationHierarchyUltra.ExtensionInterface_TopBarOnGUI.onRightLayoutGUI(_p);
    21. 272:   GUILayout.EndHorizontal();

40. mr_duke

mr_duke

Damn!:( I forget to check all of its features for 2020. Thanks for report!. Fix will be available for download tomorrow. I'm completing highlighter and some other unfinished stuffs now

Edit: Highlighter won't awaliable today, I took a bad trumble off a my skateboard. But other improvments, yes; highlighter (auto/manual) and presetes manager unfortunately only tomorrow

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    Stexe and MostHated like this.
  41. MostHated

MostHated

Edit --- I just noticed your edit to the message above, sorry to hear about your accident. : ( Hopefully, you are ok?

The Project view version of Hierarchy Pro was a standalone asset that I bought at first, but then I believe it ended up being merged in and part of the standard Hierarchy Pro asset or was included with it, I think, and I had it with the last version I was using but I don't seem to have it anymore? I only see the button for Project favorites.

What is the plan for that? Things like the alternating row color, being able to adjust the indent size, seeing how many child folders there were with a number, and descriptions were extremely useful, especially with my larger projects with hundreds of folders. I am almost tempted to go back to my old version just for that. Hopefully, there is a plan to reintroduce it, or perhaps I am just not seeing how to enable it?

42. mr_duke

mr_duke

Edit: Think it’s normal =) took a nap for 14 hours, fresh as a daisy. I should take a lessong from parkour crew, how I need to fall.
    --

Hmm, for some reason, I thought no one using him. I’m sorry about that. And sadly now that I’m not planning on adding it, since there are many things I need to put in order. updating the asset took 4 times longer than I planned. As to whether will I add it, of course, yes, I will add it, but not anytime soon, maybe in 3 months. I'm sorry about the way things happened.

In general, there was an accumulated problems in asset. so it started with two buttons, and eventually became a set of different extensions it has generated a lot of mixup in code which did not allow to fix and modify it quick and safely

I got constant e-mails about: "your plugin slows down my project", "your plugin slows down my workflow", "my selection changes works slowly", "I get cache errors", "I cannot disable components", and some other. But I never received feedback that how extension for the project a good and very necessary, maybe once)))

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  43. Stexe

Stexe

I mean, that's how it is with most of the creative world. The critics are the loudest. You need to know how to filter that into actual constructive criticism as opposed to just complaining.

Shame to hear it will take 3 months to update for colors, child numbers, descriptions, and adjustable indent sizing. That's one of the most useful things I've found. Not a lot of people talk about it since it seems like it should be something always included.

MostHated likes this.
  44. MostHated

MostHated

Yeah, it is hard to know what the user base is thinking without actively pursuing the information as most people just stay silent, use the features, and continue on with their work.

While it does take a bit of work up front, I have been seeing more and more devs either posting polls in threads like this, sending out links in email to polls that are hosted elsewhere, or having a (user has to opt-in) built-in polling system in the asset, to ask things like "Which of these features do you use most" or "what features are most important to you that should be created next", etc.

Some even go as far as integrating anonymous metric gathering (also, user has to opt-in), which let you see what features get turned on or off most, which options get adjust the most, which buttons within the asset are pushed most often, etc.

Perhaps though, occasionally posting a poll might be helpful in letting you know what features are important to people so that emails directly from people who might have an issue aren't the only info you have to go by? If the only info you have is from the few upset people, it could definitely make it feel like that is how everyone feels.

mr_duke and Stexe like this.
  45. MostHated

MostHated

Oh, one other thing, and I hate to pester about it, but the [ + ] button is fixed now for the layouts at the top of the window, but right-clicking on one of them and trying to remove it gives an error. : x Definitely not a big deal, especially since you are injured. I just wanted to make sure you were aware.

Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
    3. [Exception] ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
    4. ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException() at <fb001e01371b4adca20013e0ac763896>:0
    6. ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException() at <fb001e01371b4adca20013e0ac763896>:0
    8. System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T].RemoveAt() at <fb001e01371b4adca20013e0ac763896>:0
    10. LayoutsMod+<>c__DisplayClass32_1.<DrawLayers>b__3() at /EMX/HierarchyPro/Editor/Scripts/ModsScripts/Integrated Mods/ToolBarModification/LayoutsMod.cs:320
    11. 318:   {
    12. 319:       var l = cache.ToList();
    13. -->320:       l.RemoveAt(i);
    14. 321:       SET_SAVED(l);
    15. 322:       RepaintBar();
    17. GenericMenu.CatchMenu() at <b17f35b08b864a3ca09a7032b437596e>:0

46. mr_duke

mr_duke

Okay. Now I've heard it. Seems I have listening comprehension problem. I'll bring old highlighter right back without optimiziation and other unnecessary things. It should works with project. I’ll just attach it to the new cache. As for the indentations, I was planning to add it now. The trees in both windows are the same and it doesn’t require any extra methods. I’ll just add a separate tab. It will contain the same settings as the "Main Settings" tab, only for the project window.
    So, as a result, I return the highlighter, exclude the presets manager (plus it doesn’t really need anymore, since unity now has its) and add the main settings features for project, and I go to publish.:D It’ll be a good lesson for me

MostHated, dsilverthorn and Stexe like this.
  47. Stexe

Stexe

Optimization is important too, but I'd rather have features I'm used to and it being slightly slower than not having them at all. You can work on optimization and improving the speed as you go.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  48. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

I just purchased the new version and I am starting a new project in 2019.4.
    I’ve used the old version for years and can’t live without it!!!

Keep up the great work and I’ll take whatever you can give to help production as the new version develops.

Once I started using your tools, I don’t know how I ever got along without it. :)

It is really great to have you working and updating this as you go. Don’t be alarmed when we ask for things or have problems, it only because we love your work and want it to be the best it can be. ;)

Stexe likes this.
  49. mr_duke

mr_duke

A little unoptimized highlighter, but, other than that, will fine.
    No doubt, because it just takes time, patienve, attention, to keep in touch, keep under review and monitor developments, and that kind of stuff, thanks.

dsilverthorn, Stexe and MostHated like this.
  50. MostHated

MostHated

Heya, I just installed the new update and noticed that right-clicking in an open area of the hierarchy (2020.1.0f1) I get:

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. Cache.GetHierarchyObjectByInstanceID() at /EMX/HierarchyPro/Editor/Scripts/HelpersScripts/Cache.cs:164
    4. [Exception] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    5. Cache.GetHierarchyObjectByInstanceID() at /EMX/HierarchyPro/Editor/Scripts/HelpersScripts/Cache.cs:164
    6. 162:   static internal HierarchyObject GetHierarchyObjectByInstanceID(GameObject ___o)
    7. 163:   {
    8. -->164:       return GetHierarchyObjectByInstanceID(___o.GetInstanceID(), ___o);
    9. 165:   }
    10. 166:   static internal HierarchyObject GetHierarchyObjectByInstanceID(int instanceid, GameObject ___o)
    12. RightClickOnGameObjectMenuRegistrator.ContextMenu() at /EMX/HierarchyPro/Editor/Scripts/ModsScripts/Integrated Mods/RightClickGameObjectMenu/RightClickOnGameObjectMenuRegistrator.cs:52
    13. 50:   {
    14. 51:       menu.AddSeparator("" + Root.PN + "/");
    15. -->52:       var _o = Cache.GetHierarchyObjectByInstanceID(go);
    16. 53:       menu.AddItem(new GUIContent("" + Root.PN + "/" + "Highlighter|Presets Window"), false, () =>
    17. 54:       {

Stexe likes this.