Search Unity

[RELEASED] HereVR Race Scene Packs

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by HereVR, Jul 22, 2014.

1. HereVR

HereVR

Thank you for your effort and for everyone's effort who rated the assets!

2. HereVR

HereVR

Last touches on the update...
    Here is some WIP video for you (watch in HD)!

3. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

Beautiful stuff as usual. I'm eager to see some WIP from the race track pack :p

HereVR likes this.
  4. HereVR

HereVR

Thanks. Hopefully I will post some in the close future.

5. HereVR

HereVR

6. HereVR

HereVR

The Pit Garage Pack 01. update is out!

Please do not update directly, import into an empty project first. (The dir structure/file naming has been changed to match the Vehicle Packs.)
    It contains over 900 prefabs with the added texture variations. I hope you will like it!:)

7. MayhemMike

MayhemMike

Great Assets! I really enjoy them. Is there an ETA on the race track?

HereVR likes this.
  8. HereVR

HereVR

Thanks.
    For your question: it is planned for the middle of December, depending on the models (and the speed of the AS); probably it will get an introductory price and get additional assets as updates like it happened with former packs (editable textures, and so on). Next week I will write more.

9. HereVR

HereVR

WIP illustration

10. HereVR

HereVR

11. HereVR

HereVR

emergki likes this.
  12. MayhemMike

MayhemMike

looks amazing, I can't wait to get my hands on this

HereVR likes this.
  13. HereVR

HereVR

Thanks! I can't wait to upload;)

Some tribunes with crowd.

14. HereVR

HereVR

Hi Guys,

I took some new photos this week as it seemed that it will be more logical to put the most of the Unity trees to the first release, so the good news is that they will be part of the package from the start, the less good is that holidays are coming and I'm not sure if it will be accepted between Christmas and New Years Eve.
    I will continue uploading screenshots, so please be patient if you can!
    I wish all of you a Merry Christmas!

15. HereVR

HereVR

Hi All,

I hope you will like it: a WIP screenshot with some vegetation... Still working on details...

16. HereVR

HereVR

Last touches of the first release....

MayhemMike and emergki like this.
  17. unicat

unicat

Does someone know where to get car sounds for this ?

18. HereVR

HereVR

You can check audiosparx.com for F1-specific sounds, but maybe there are free sources, too.

19. HereVR

HereVR

Some other pics. At the start it will contain about 80-90 props/models, plus the modular track models and the vegetation. As I told, it became big.
    It will be updated relatively soon after publishing, adding more track modules (turns mainly), vegetation (more trees mainly), some rocks, another tribune type. It will also get layered texture sources for customizing the Ads, billboards and buildings.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  20. MayhemMike

MayhemMike

is this still in the Unity revision loop?

21. HereVR

HereVR

Hello MayhamMike,
    I think it will be in the Asset Store in a week. Thanks for your patience.

MayhemMike likes this.
  22. 455224

I am nowhere near a stage where I could do your models justice, but have to say I absolutely LOVE all your work! Its exactly what I've been looking for for the future racing game I've got planned... Have to say I'm particularly looking forward to the extra track pieces; hairpin bends, chicanes, s -bends and 45 degree sections and it will be beyond perfect!

Already put a watch on the thread to keep up to date.

23. HereVR

HereVR

24. HereVR

HereVR

Dear Friends,

the RaceTrack Pack 01. is available in the Asset Store on a 'beta' price (USD 45) until it gets the new updates.
    Link: http://u3d.as/aYw

I would appreciate your help on future updates, so please help the development with some info!

1. Unity 5 is coming, the HereVR packs are still 3.x compatible. For enhancing quality all the packs will need to use the new PBR material system (I will post some screenshots).

Question A: does any of you use 3.x version of Unity yet?

Question B: Is it fine for you to 'jump over' the 4.x compatibility (leaving old textures behind) and have the new PBR textures inside the future downloads (after Unity 5 comes out officially)? I would like to cut down the size of the packages, if the old ones are not used anymore (to reduce unnecessary net traffic; yep, some 'green' thinking).

2. Flags for the RaceTrack Pack. Now it includes simple, non-animated flags. There are different methods for animating flags; there are free flag shaders, cheap, but non-free shaders, vertex-animation importers and the option what uses bones.
    All of them has different effect on performance; pointcache animation offers the best quality, shaders are the quickest way, both require investements.

Which one do you prefer for your future gaming project?

Thanks

HereVR

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  25. MayhemMike

MayhemMike

Great assets, really well done!

Nope, I'm currently using Unity 5 Beta

Fine with me

They wont play a big part in my game so I'm more concerned about performance.

26. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

Hi

Being a fan of your assets, i bought this almost a minute after you announced it was available at the store and played with the asset a couple of hours. So i think i can give a brief review.

First of all let me start with some things i don't like.

1- Track starting positions numbers and signs are all in a big mesh. This makes very hard to add or remove starting positions and as the mesh is straight is almost imposible to make the start in a curved part of the track. You can fix this by making a mesh for each digit and putting the "start" and "finish" word in their own meshes.

2- All the track parts are flat so we can't make a track with different heights.

3- The tire walls at the side of the track looks like a succession of holes when looked from above because is like a giant rectangle with a repeating texture. Maybe you did this to optimize because you are repeating the walls through all the track but in real tracks, tire walls are only in specific places so maybe you can put more detail into this part.

Also the tire walls don't match when tiled ( Mesh width and texture )

Now some questions because i'm not too sure about wheter those are a problem or it's me that don't understand how you planned those.

1- Big track ads textures are in a file with other unrelated textures like flags (RT AD-Start-Flag-Etc V01 C01, RT AD-Start-Flag-Etc V01 C02 and RT AD-Start-Flag-Etc V01 C03) in case i need more variation of ads or flags i have to make a big almost empty texture just for this????

2- As my english is very bad i'll try to explain this parts with pictures because i can't with words.

There are some track parts like this when the mesh is only the "street???" part.

and then other parts with weird meshes like this where the outside (grass or ad) is part of the "street" mesh

Even the straight part at the start of the track have included parts of the pitlane

With the first mesh is easy to know with colliders when the car is out of the track or entering the pit lane, but how to know that with the other parts when all are in the same mesh.

I know you put a lot of effort into this asset but i think more work have to be done to this.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  27. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

Now to answer your questions:

Question A: does any of you use 3.x version of Unity yet?

NO

Question B: Is it fine for you to 'jump over' the 4.x compatibility ...

No, i plan to use Unity 4.x for some time after Unity 5 is released.

2. Flags for the RaceTrack Pack. Now it includes simple, non-animated flags. ....

I don't care too much about flags. There are cheap assets to make flags i think you should focus on making more track assets.

28. HereVR

HereVR

Hi All,
    I would like to say thanks for the infos; they help a lot!

29. HereVR

HereVR

Dear b4c5p4c4,

thank you for the review, it helps a lot, so I try to reply and explain everything.

First of all, some generic infos:
    1. The tutorial and the detailed readme is not in the package yet, as it could be read in the actual readme.
    It has one reason only; the making of the pack took more than it was planned and the goal was to make it available for you as soon as possible. That is why it is a 'beta' and I'm really glad you are telling what you don't like, so thanks.

2. Making assets always requires compromises and optimization for the users; sometimes this meets the needs for everyone, sometimes not. As customers you could help to make it 'optimal, but it will never be 'optimal' for everyone and every method of usage. So in the next I try to explain the goals of this package and the optimal usage.

Goals:
    A. Easy usage.
    That is why the modular 'system' was chosen as a principle. It has the advantage to make tracks _in minutes_, but it has the limits for 'full customization' as I mean the creating of the completely free road/track shapes.
    B. Saving time
    Deleting is faster than adding elements one by one. So that is why you find several 'submeshes' in a module.
    As it pointed in the screenshots and the readme, all modules have 4 potential usage types:
    - hi-poly version with grass (for desktop)
    - low-poly version with grass (for mobile development)
    - hi-poly version without grass (for using it with Unity terrain if you want)
    - low-poly version without grass ((for using it with Unity terrain if you want)

All of this is included in a 'module' with switched on/off mesh renderers (as it worked in the former packages).
    For example, in the 'Inventory' the 'HI-POLY with GRASS' version is swithed on (and the 'Shared' parts of course), but in the demo racetrack you find the 'HI-POLY without GRASS (NoGrass)' swithed on as it uses Unity terrain around.

Of course for 'linear' parts there was no sense to make hi-poly/low-poly versions, so those 'modules' contains GRASS/NoGrass versions)

There is another thing here to help your work: the modules contain all the other parts like 'tyre walls', rails, service roads, etc. and these modules are separate meshes, so you can simple delete them if you would like to reduce the triangle count, you can attach them (from all modules if they use the same materials/textures to reduce the number of drawcalls) and so on. For example if you make a track based on Unity terrain, you can easily make a terrain what hides the rails or service roads from the most of the directions. In this case you can delete these elements, because they are not necessary anymore.
    I also had to consider that users have to have some basic tools for editing meshes inside Unity for the optimal performance (as it is a must for reducing drawcalls) for the final result. That is why the elements of the modules are separate; if they were 'attached' from the start, then it will be more problematic to modify them than attaching them together after the track design has been finished.
    Furthermore, the usage the 'whole' modules (with all 'versions' inside) could heavily speed up development. You can make your track, than make a copy, delete 'hi-poly' stuff, even service roads, etc. and you have the more mobile friendly version with less detailed turns and significantly less tris.
    Same goes with the textures; the models use texture atlases by default, so it saves time and work for you as much as possible, but I kept the opportunity to change material settings (what could be overridden through the optimization, just like in the Pit Garage Pack where multiple materials use the same texture for easy modification). ANd some of you maybe realised for know, that that there are some shared textures between the Pit Garage Pack and the RaceTrack Pack; it has the reason to keep texture numbers and texture memory lower.

So, answering your questions:

'1- Track starting positions numbers and signs are all in a big mesh. This makes very hard to add or remove starting positions and as the mesh is straight is almost imposible to make the start in a curved part of the track. You can fix this by making a mesh for each digit and putting the "start" and "finish" word in their own meshes.'

It was a decision based on optimization to use one single mesh here instead of separate meshes. As it seemed logical to merge the numbers at the final stage and the distance between the numbers was 'fix', I decided to use a single mesh here. It was never planned to make 'curved' start positions - as it possible would require 'curved' buildings, tribunes around, too could lead to 'infinite' variations of the meshes, it is a single mesh now.
    There are 3 solutions for this: move the faces in Unity with a 3rd party stuff, export it and make the changes in a 3rd party app or if you as a collective would like to have as an option (just 'sign up for this feature in the forum; by the way if any of you has an idea how to put a poll here, it would be a great help for us)', it could part of the next updates.

'2- All the track parts are flat so we can't make a track with different heights.'

Thats right; it was one of the compromises with the modules to work both with/without grass without the needs of too much tweaking for the users and to keep the number of the variations of the modules in a fairly manageable amount.

'3- The tire walls at the side of the track looks like a succession of holes when looked from above because is like a giant rectangle with a repeating texture. Maybe you did this to optimize because you are repeating the walls through all the track but in real tracks, tire walls are only in specific places so maybe you can put more detail into this part.'

Yep, it was because of the optimization. As I wrote formerly, you can delete tyre walls where you don't need them.

'Also the tire walls don't match when tiled ( Mesh width and texture )'

Yep, on that part there is a 'mismatch'. I will take a look on that, but it is the result of the texture tiling.
    It was a decision again; affording that textures could have distortion in some cases and keeping texture numbers/sizes low or make unique textures. My decision was the first after making some tests: in a game for me it was not a problem, just like the small differences between tyre walls (IRL there could be far more bigger 'differences'.

'Now some questions because i'm not too sure about wheter those are a problem or it's me that don't understand how you planned those.
    1- Big track ads textures are in a file with other unrelated textures like flags (RT AD-Start-Flag-Etc V01 C01, RT AD-Start-Flag-Etc V01 C02 and RT AD-Start-Flag-Etc V01 C03) in case i need more variation of ads or flags i have to make a big almost empty texture just for this????'

It was a decision of setting up the texture atlases. As there were wishes for flags, too formerly, this atlas contains them both (what is better IMHO than use separate textures).
    The good news is that more ADS, billboards are coming in the future without flags what will fullfill your wishes.

'2- As my english is very bad i'll try to explain this parts with pictures because i can't with words.

There are some track parts like this when the mesh is only the "street???" part.
    and then other parts with weird meshes like this where the outside (grass or ad) is part of the "street" mesh
    Even the straight part at the start of the track have included parts of the pitlane
    With the first mesh is easy to know with colliders when the car is out of the track or entering the pit lane, but how to know that with the other parts when all are in the same mesh.'

As I wrote earlier, these elements are belong to the Grass/NoGrass variations (I really felt that this pack will require a tutorial, so it will get that, too).
    The 'side' colliders using different meshes (you check the names) or the collision from buildings; the ground collider could be a single plane you can create under the modules (easiest and quickest setup).
    I hope I understood you correctly (I'm not perfect in English either); please tell if not and thanks again for the review.

'I know you put a lot of effort into this asset but i think more work have to be done to this.'
    There will be a lot of effort, too; It is planned to make the biggest track pack in this case, within its originally existing/planned limits (like the modular 'setup', etc).
    New updates will bring more track modules, ads, billboards, vegetation, environment buildings, tribunes...

Thanks again for your trust!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  30. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

Hi

Thanks for your answers

There are many cheap assets in the asset store to "bake" a single mesh from separate meshes in 1 click, that's why i think being separate meshes is still a better solution than one big mesh. Anyway those are simple meshes that i can make myself in any 3d program with my limited skills so i'm not that worried.

I know that atlasing textures is a must for optimization. But in my point of view in this case i think it will be fine to have a single texture for the ads because at the end you should bake all those ads in a single big mesh with all those textures atlased or at least that's why i'll be doing.

I guess i don't explained myself.

In this picture the element is a single mesh named "RT TURN V01 T02 HI NoGrass"

i thought the "street part" (hihglighted #2) will be separated from 1 and 3. So anyone can easily make colliders in 1 and 3 to know if the cars is off the track.

Anyway keep the good work, after you finish this pack you should really have to make some rigged and animated driver models i've searched the store but can't find nothing.

31. HereVR

HereVR

'Thanks for your answers'

Welcome!

'There are many cheap assets in the asset store to "bake" a single mesh from separate meshes in 1 click, that's why i think being separate meshes is still a better solution than one big mesh. Anyway those are simple meshes that i can make myself in any 3d program with my limited skills so i'm not that worried.'

I will put a version of separate prefabs to the package in the future.

'I know that atlasing textures is a must for optimization. But in my point of view in this case i think it will be fine to have a single texture for the ads because at the end you should bake all those ads in a single big mesh with all those textures atlased or at least that's why i'll be doing.'

Sorry, this is not clear to me; the additional (upcoming) prefabs will have different atlases, so they will not include the flags, just the AD/Billboard content.

'I guess i don't explained myself.

In this picture the element is a single mesh named "RT TURN V01 T02 HI NoGrass"

i thought the "street part" (hihglighted #2) will be separated from 1 and 3. So anyone can easily make colliders in 1 and 3 to know if the cars is off the track.'

I sent you a PM to clarify this; I think I understand what you mean, but I'm not sure. :) If it is about the 'FEEL' that the car is OFF the track, I think you have the point and it is a good idea, I just have too guess what is the best method to interpret it.

'Anyway keep the good work, after you finish this pack you should really have to make some rigged and animated driver models i've searched the store but can't find nothing.'

Thank you, it is planned (also animated car mechanics).

32. 455224

If it helps to clarify what b4c5p4c3 is saying regarding:
    http://pasteboard.co/qoapKQu.jpg

Instead of 1,2,3 being all one mesh; make 1,2 and 3 all seperate meshes so that the driveable track (2) can easily be separated from the grass/gravel (1 and 3). This way, many options (such as reducing the cars speed if it isnt on the driveable track ie. 'number 2') become a LOT more easy to implement. I for one would fully approve of this change as it will allow AI pathing much easier to implement.

Hope that helps?

33. HereVR

HereVR

Thanks for the clarification; we talked about it yesterday.
    What I'm thinking about what is the better solution for you: to break the actual meshes into 3 parts or add some plus meshes for Navigation Baking?

34. 455224

I'd prefer separate meshes, but if its easier for you and they get the job done I suppose plus meshes would be ok.

35. HereVR

HereVR

Both version is OK to me. The reason behind my question was that separate meshes add 3 more element for a prefab, what covers all versions (Grass/NoGrass, Hi/Low) and saves time for attaching meshes later for optimization, separate meshes add way more additional elements, so the first option seems to be more manageable for me.
    But as we used formerly our on navigation scripts for Unity projects instead of Unity's built-in one, feel free to tell if it is not the best for you considering my arguments.
    Anyway, whatever the decision will be finally, it will be in the next update.:)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  36. HereVR

HereVR

Hi All,

the required updates on their way; please take a look on this screenshot to determine the most detailed navmesh separation. As you can see:
    - 1. Road
    - 2. Colored asphalt
    - 3. Gravel
    - 4. Concrete
    - 5. Grass (You can use terrain instead of it).

What do you think?
    IRL there are 3 different 'navmesh' types what affects the car's behaviour:
    1. road-concrete-colored asphalt
    2. gravel
    3. artificial grass

Tha 'navmesh' prefabs would use the 'hi' version of the meshes as it could be baked to lower quality if you agree.

37. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

Great Job.

HereVR likes this.
  38. 455224

+1. Good stuff!

HereVR likes this.
  39. emergki

emergki

I would like to see some pictures of a complete track created with this pack before purchase, because I want to see how the turns are in a real track made with it. Like a shot from the top or something like that.

40. HereVR

HereVR

Hello,
    here is an example for the top view of the turn in the asset gallery (gallery images first).
    Of course more modules will come with the updates.
    I hope it will help you to decide.

These are the modules of the first release:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  41. emergki

emergki

Thank you.

Do you plan to have some more "sharp" turns?

42. HereVR

HereVR

There will more turns and at least one of them will be a sharp one.
    The next update will contain the navmeshes, more billboards, separate start signs.

PLUS: new 'Chicane' module has been added, too.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  43. HereVR

HereVR

Hello Friends,

the update with the navmeshes, etc. is available in the AS!

emergki likes this.
  44. emergki

emergki

Hey HereVR, can I see the new chicane? and another question, is possible to remove the "side bumpers" (zebras) of the turns, straights, etc?

45. HereVR

HereVR

Hello emergki,

yes, of course. I thought that you already purchased it, so I didn't understand it for a while ;DDDD

Tomorrow I will make some screenshots (I'm working on some vegetation update for it) and I will post it.
    The kerbs are separate objects, so yes, it could be removed from anywhere (also rails, tyre walls, fences, etc.)

46. HereVR

HereVR

Hi All,

some screenshots. Next week I will post some Unity 5 screenshots as I'm working on the update of the vehicle packs parallel with the track updates. You will like it:)))
    Another thing:
    After the next RaceTrack Pack update the price will be raised a little bit (still not full price). So if you would like to save, I suggest to buy it on the current price.

Chicane:

More vegetation (not all of them). More props will come into this in the future, also some dir structure change will happen as it is probably that the vegetation will be available as a separate pack, too (in the future).

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  47. HereVR

HereVR

Hello Friends,

a new RaceTrack Pack update is available. I suggest to import to an empty project first as some of the folders (vegetation) has been changed.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  48. emergki

emergki

Hi @HereVR, I just purchased your packages RaceTrack and the vehicles pack number one. Hope it works fine :)

HereVR likes this.
  49. HereVR

HereVR

Hello emergki,

thanks for your purchase. I hope you will be satisfied! Please rate it if you like it! :) Thanks.

The Unity5 version (PBR materials) of the Vehicle Pack 01 will be out next week as a 'beta'.
    RaceTrack Pack will get update in a few weeks with a hairpin turn.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  50. emergki

emergki

Thanks, I'm trying on Android but, looks like it are very expensive for the device because the game closes before finish the scene loading :(.