Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only.

Please, do not make any changes to your username or email addresses at id.unity.com during this transition time.

On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live.

Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.

[RELEASED] GSpawn - Level Designer (3D Tile Rules, Curve Spawn, Scatter Brush, Modular Walls ... )

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by XGT08, Jun 11, 2023.

1. XGT08

XGT08

Hello,

This is the official support forum for the GSpawn - Level Designer plugin.

Docs | Video Tutorials

Main Features:

• 3D Tile Rules (with Ramp & Platform support)
    • Decoration Rules (quick prop/decor placement)
    • Curve Spawn (spawn objects along curves, edit, move, rotate, duplicate, insert control points)
    • Modular Walls (with Inner & Outer Corner detection)
    • Physics Spawn
    • Props Spawn
    • Prefab Replacement (quickly swap prefab instances in the scene)
    • Object Groups (scene organization)
    • Prefab Management (organize your prefabs in libraries, copy/move prefabs between libraries, create library profiles, search by name, filters)
    • Rotate Objects with Mouse & Keyboard
    • Scatter Brush
    • Tile Tools (Segments & Box Spawn)
    • Mirroring/Symmetry
    • Selection Tools (Rectangle, Selection Segments & Selection Box)
    • Extrude Gizmo
    • Erase Tools (erase cursor, 2D & 3D erase brushes, erase masks)
    • Configurable Shortcuts

Check out the Trailer:

Enjoy :)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2023
  2. AntonJRAndersson

AntonJRAndersson

I was super confused when I saw this instead of the Octave 3D level designer in my asset list but holy S*** this looks AMAZING! I am so excited to try it out

GrassWhooper and XGT08 like this.
  3. XGT08

XGT08

Hey there,

Hehe :D Yeah, I was suspecting that the name change would create a bit of confusion, but I felt the need to give it another name.

Thank you for the kind words :)

Mark_01 likes this.
  4. BraniDev

BraniDev

Hi i just imported your asset and plenty of errors jump on me, majority fixed by adding ( using UnityEditor.UIElements; using UnityEngine.UIElements; ) but now in script "ObjectOutline" error in 31 line " Handles.DrawOutline(_objectArray, highlightColor, 0.0f); " Error is - Handles does not contain definition for DrawOutline... Any tip how to fix it? Thank you appreciate your Asset

5. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

It has to do with the Unity version. I have uploaded the plugin with Unity 2022.1.9 so this is the required minimum version. It might work with earlier versions but I wouldn't go below 2022. There are certain APIs that are needed such as the Handles.DrawOutline function which allows me to draw selection outlines, highlights etc.

Mark_01 likes this.
  6. BraniDev

BraniDev

working on 2022.3 thanks!

7. XGT08

XGT08

Interesting. I'll have a look at it and get back to you as soon as I can.

Mark_01 likes this.
  8. XGT08

XGT08

Are you sure you are using 2022.3? I just tested with that version and it work with no issues.

EDIT: Did a test with 2022.2 and still no errors.

Mark_01 likes this.
  9. AntonJRAndersson

AntonJRAndersson

I've found a bug that happens sometimes which makes all hotkeys stop functioning. Only way I've managed to fix it so far is by restarting the editor. It's nothing major but it can be a little annoying.

Not exactly sure how it happens but I think it has to do with something about switching placement mode (modular snap, box, segments etc). I'm sorry I can't be of more use with how the bug is replicated

10. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

Yes, it's something that happened to me to. Unfortunately I haven't found a way to fix this yet. To me it happens when I recompile the scripts and it's sometimes accompanied by a warning message complaining about a hotcontrol. What I do to fix this is to just press Clear in the console or click on an item in the hierarchy view. Otherwise, switching to PlayMode and back should fix it.

I have a chapter in the doc called Known Issues where I mention this.

11. GrassWhooper

GrassWhooper

upload_2023-6-13_8-13-10.png

upload_2023-6-13_8-13-22.png
    Hey so, i am using tyhis version, and upon import i get this error,
    appearently vscode says to add

using UnityEditor.UIElements;? not sure but thought i'd mention it

12. XGT08

XGT08

Hello,

I uploaded the plugin with Unity 2022.1.9. So that is the official required version. It may also work with 2022.1 but going below 2022 most likely won't work.

13. GrassWhooper

GrassWhooper

owwww, that makes sense, any chance 2021 might ever get supported?

14. XGT08

XGT08

No, I'm afraid not. Would it be possible for you to switch to 2022?

EDIT: I gave it a try and although some errors can be fixed, there is still one error which can't be fixed because I am using an API to draw selection outlines and that API is not supported in 2021.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
  15. GrassWhooper

GrassWhooper

owwww, thats too bad :'(
    you know what, your asset is so good that i just upgraded to 2022.3, i literally have zero reasons and its probably going to break so many things in my project, but eh, i'll manage
    though in the future, i really hope you can figure out a way to support 2021, i mean, not many people moved on to 2022 if that makes sense
    but looking forward to working with your asset :)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
    XGT08 likes this.
  16. carored

carored

Hello i'm trying this plugin for my job and it gives me an error. I can draw the meshes but sometimes stops and won't draw anymore. I'm using Unity 2022.3.2f1.
    I'm following the tutorials from youtube "Intro (Part 1 & Part 2)" please help me with this.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

17. XGT08

XGT08

Hello,

I have installed Unity 2022.3.2, but could not generate the error. I can draw outlines for objects and everything is alright.

Can you help me out by giving me a bit more info? For example, were you using the selection mode when it happened?

Thanks,
    Andrew

18. XGT08

XGT08

@carored

Hi there,

I have submitted an update that should fix this. The object outlines were drawn outside of the Unity Repaint event and that can cause problems. Please update to 3.1.3 and let me know if it works for you.

Cheers,
    Andrew

19. hotpeperoncino

hotpeperoncino

FloatField can not be solved on installation.

20. XGT08

XGT08

Hello,

I uploaded the plugin with Unity 2022.1.9. So that is the official required version. It may also work with 2022.1 but going below 2022 won't work. I need certain APIs which are not available below 2022.

21. trojant

trojant

Hi, @XGT08
    The 2021.3 version of Unity has a large number of users, can you make it compatible? thanks

22. XGT08

XGT08

Hello,

I have recently uploaded a version on the store that supports 2021.3.27.
    The difference is that instead of selection highlights you will see a wireframe rendition of the selected geometry.

NazmulRex likes this.
  23. trojant

trojant

Oh,Where is the plugin you mentioned that supports March 27, 2022? I didn't find it

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      583.7 KB
      Views:
  24. XGT08

XGT08

I'm afraid I don't understand :) Aren't we talking about GSpawn? Don't know anything about March 27, 2022.

The latest version of GSpawn supports 2021.3.27. You can update in the package manager.

25. trojant

trojant

I am currently using the latest version of GSpawn 3.1.5, which has multiple errors in Unity 2021.3.19. Do I need to test it on Unity 2021 3.26? I found that Unity 2021.3.27 is not yet available on the Unity website.

26. XGT08

XGT08

You can find 2021.3.27 here: https://unity.com/releases/editor/archive
    It's at the top of the list in the 2021.X tab.

27. trojant

trojant

(1) The new project using Unity2021.3.19 did not report any errors.
    (2) When importing into my own project using Unity2021.3.19, these errors will be reported. Can you help me see what the reason is? thanks

Attached Files:

• 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      183.6 KB
      Views:
  28. XGT08

XGT08

Please use 2021.3.27.

So with 27 at the end, not 19.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2023
  29. trojant

trojant

Thank you very much. I have resolved the method name conflict issue in my project~:)

XGT08 likes this.
  30. XGT08

XGT08

Hello everyone,

Just released a new update for GSpawn (3.2.0).

There is a new feature available in this version called Decoration Rules. This feature works by providing an example scene which the plugin can analyze and detect the way in which objects decorate each other. This information can then be used in conjunction with the Props Spawn tool in order to quickly snap props in the right place.

Since most asset packs out there come with example scenes, you can load up an example scene, extract the data and then use it to decorate your own scenes.

You can have a look at this video tutorial in which I talk about this new feature:

Cheers,
    Andrew

NazmulRex and shyamarama like this.
  31. trojant

trojant

Hi,
    I have a question. If their faces are connected together, they will overlap and increase the number of model faces. Does it have a significant impact on performance?

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      509.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      660.4 KB
      Views:
  32. trojant

trojant

Hello,
    What keywords should I search for model resources like tile rules? I want to purchase some 3D model resources of tile rules type in the Unity store.

33. XGT08

XGT08

Hello,

I would be more concerned with the number of tiles in general. However, as overlapping faces are concerned, I really don't think this can cause a performance impact. I could be wrong of course, but faces overlap pretty much everywhere. For example, props that are sitting on top of floors or objects resting against walls... The overlapping faces are hidden and they will not be seen.

It is the number of draw calls that can be problematic and this is not related to faces. A draw call occurs when drawing a single object (assuming no batching). And unless really complex shaders are used, its' not even the draw call itself that causes the performance hit. It is rather the preparation that has to take place that is a problem (e.g. sending the world matrices to the GPU).

Getting back to overlapping faces, as far as I am aware, Unity renders the opaque geometry front to back. This increases the chance that pixels which are overlapped will be early rejected by the Z test.

So, I really don't think this should pose a problem. But again, the number of tiles (the number of objects in the scene), that is a different issue. If you are building a large environment and you find performance dropping, you might want to use a mesh combiner to combine meshes based on material. GSpawn has a mesh combiner included which combines meshes based on similar materials. Please see the docs here.

trojant likes this.
  34. XGT08

XGT08

In general, any modular pieces will do. If you can snap them to the grid and stitch them together using the gizmos, it should also work with the Tile Rule functionality.

There is however an exception: walls. Wall pieces that have inner and outer corners seem to be problematic. I had trouble making the outer corner pieces work with this functionality, but it's possible I might have made a mistake when setting up the rules. I will have to test this again to say with 100% certainty.

trojant likes this.
  35. Bazeragi

Bazeragi

Hi, I am having some problems with the plugin in my project. I was using the previous version before the name change to GSpawn. I removed that and installed GSpawn, but the tool isnt really working correctly. The buttons will not select new categories or tools and i can't do things like add prefabs into the wall rules!
    I am on Unity 2021.3.27 and have tried doing fresh installs. When i try the package in a complete fresh project i get compile error saying "Level Designer\Scripts\Objects\Transform Sessions\ObjectModularSnapTargetParent.cs(4,36): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'DebugUI' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEngine.Rendering' (are you missing an assembly reference?)"
    Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

36. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

Thanks for letting me know.

Just fixed this and submitted the update on the store. I can send you the updated pack if you wish via e-mail. Contact me at octamodius@yahoo.com

Cheers,
    Andrew

37. NazmulRex

NazmulRex

Hi, I'm using 2021.3.27f.
    The inspector doesn't updates when I click on the buttons. But selecting another object and switching back updates the inspector.
    No error's upon importing.

Attached Files:

38. XGT08

XGT08

Hello,

Just tested this in 2021.3.27 but can't reproduce it in any way, shape or form. For the moment, I don't really know what could be causing that. Do you have any other plugins installed?

39. NazmulRex

NazmulRex

Solved!
    I had the old Octave 3D folder in my project. Deleted it. Then deleted the GSpwan component and re-initialize.

XGT08 likes this.
  40. XGT08

XGT08

Hello everyone,

Just released a video tutorial in which I go through the process of building a village interior using the Village Interiors Kit by 3DForge. I would like to release some more of these videos in the future.

Although some of the info can become repetitive between videos, I believe it's probably the best way to show how different types of environments can be built using GSpawn. Focus is going to be on modular environments.

Note: In future videos I might skip over some mundane tasks such as creating object groups and creating wall example prefabs. Those have already been covered and I would like to focus on actual level building.

EDIT: Was in the mood of doing another one, so here it is:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2023
  41. CreamyBlood

CreamyBlood

I'm a bit confused here, it says 2022.1.9 but isn't that a tech/alpha stream? It sounds like it might work on 2021.3.27 LTS. I'm on 2021.3.23 (LTS) but after the past few years I'm leery of upgrading even within LTS versions. I can copy my project and upgrade it to 2022 LTS but even if this asset works on the 2022 LTS version I'm worried about ten million unrelated things breaking down the line.

I'm just not understanding why this is submitted on a beta version of Unity and if it even works on 2021 or only one specific version of 2021 LTS? This thread has been confusing to me as brave new souls that are on 2022 are at least using the LTS version, I would think.

I guess what I'm asking is, does this work on Unity version 2021.3.23LTS?

42. XGT08

XGT08

@CreamyBlood
    I gave it a try with 2021.3.23 LTS and it works.

43. KeithBrown

KeithBrown

Is there a way to mirror an object across the objects center point similar to the rotation around the center point. Basically Mirror around center point would just set its X scale to -1 if mirroring around X.

44. KeithBrown

KeithBrown

I am also receiving this error when trying to create a modular wall prefab.

"ModularWallPrefabProfile: Middle Straight piece requires 0 rotation around all axes.
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError (object)"

I assume that it does not mean that the individual prefab itself is rotated but the mesh contained inside the prefab. Unfortunately, the author of the mesh has them rotated 180 from the front so in the prefab I rotated the mesh 180 so that the exterior of the wall is considered the front and not the interior. The reason for this is so that the correct visual is shown in the Inspector Preview Window and also in the Prefab Manager Window. For this particular asset pack, there were ALOT of items that needed rotation. If i go into the actual mesh and rotate it in Blender then it will break all of the previous prefabs.

Is there anything that can be done?

45. XGT08

XGT08

Hello,

The 0 rotation refers to the object in the example prefab, not to the mesh. So when building the example prefab, make sure the Middle Straight Wall piece has a rotation of 0 on all axes.

The way I like to do this is to:
    -switch to selection mode;
    -drag and drop the Middle Straight piece from the prefab manager inside the scene;
    -left click to exit modular snapping;
    -look at the Inspector UI and make sure the object that was created in the scene has a 0 rotation. If not, just set its rotation to 0.

The rotation might differ from 0 if you used that prefab before and rotated it using X/Y/Z keys for example.

KeithBrown likes this.
  46. powerproc_ward

powerproc_ward

Hello! I just started using GSpawn today, and haven't been able to get objects to spawn while following the first steps of the tutorial. I tried it both in a scene I was already working on as well as fresh scene. When I click a prefab and go to left click in the scene nothing happens. I also got this error in the uploaded image below. I am on the Unity 2022 LTS version, 2022.3.5f1 to be exact.

Attached Files:

47. XGT08

XGT08

Hi there,

Make sure that you DOUBLE click on the prefab preview in the Prefab Manager Window. Once you do that, it will create a spawn guide that you can move in the scene and then you can left click to place objects. Also, it depends on what spawn tool you are using. For example, the scatter brush tool doesn't create a spawn guide. A spawn guide is only created for the following spawn tools: Modular Snap, Props Spawn, Segments Spawn, Box Spawn, Modular Walls (if a valid profile is available).

Regarding the other issue, I have identified it and it's been fixed. You can send me an e-mail at octamodius@yahoo.com and I will send you the updated package.

Cheers,
    Andrew

48. powerproc_ward

powerproc_ward

Awesome thanks for the quick response, really appreciate it! I just e-mailed you for the updated package, and I will try again after I get it installed!

XGT08 likes this.
  49. XGT08

XGT08

Sent :)

50. XGT08

XGT08

Hello everyone,

I released a small update today that can affect your modular wall profiles. This is only the case if you are using pillars. So if you are, you have to press the Refresh button in the Modular Wall Prefab window to refresh the internal data.

Cheers,
    Andrew