Search Unity

1. Calling all beginners! Join the FPS Beginners Mods Challenge until December 13.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Cyber Week at the Asset Store!
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] GPU Line of Sight / Field of View

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tycho, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Tycho

Tycho

So you would like to make an explosion reveal a part of the Line of Sight mask? Or does it need to also do the actual line of sight calculations?

In case you just want to reveal a part of the mask, you could try adding a mesh (that covers the area you want to reveal) which is either transparent (or even better uses a shader that doesn't write to the color buffer) and attach a LOS Stencil Renderer component. This will exclude the area the mesh covers from the Line of Sight mask, without the mesh being visible.

2. Ripityom

Ripityom

Brilliant, thank you! Can i do fading distance with the stencil renderer? Maybe with a texture with alpha channel?

3. Tycho

Tycho

No, the Stencil Renderer does not allow fading since the Stencil Buffer uses binary operations.

If you need fading, you could try rendering the (reveal) mesh directly to the LOS mask, but that would require quite a few changes to the scripts.

4. FeastSC2

FeastSC2

5. Tycho

Tycho

6. Murgilod

Murgilod

Are there any plans for HDRP/URP support in the future? My current project handles it just fine since it's on default, but I have an upcoming URP project I'd like to use it for.

Ripityom likes this.
  7. Tycho

Tycho

No, I currently don't have plans to support any of the scriptable render pipelines :oops:

8. Murgilod

Murgilod

Ah, oh well. I can probably hack something together in the next 10 months, it's all still prototype so there's no rush. Thanks for getting back to me!