Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] GIS Terrain Loader

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UnityGISTech, Aug 12, 2019.

1. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Hi there,
    1. You can only make terrains from DEM file.
    2. We are working to create some tools to export modified terrain to DEM file.

best regards

2. jeffmorris1956

jeffmorris1956

I think that I created wrong kind of DEM data on OpenTopography website.The desert.tif from ExampleSRTM30 worked.

3. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Did you find the tutorial useful and easy?

4. jeffmorris1956

jeffmorris1956

I found the tutorial useful and easy but I may have downloaded the wrong DEM data.

UnityGISTech likes this.
  5. Nakel

Nakel

Is there any way to read .shp files with your asset;
    if so, can It read X,Y,Z poly lines?

UnityGISTech likes this.
  6. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Hi there, GTL is able to load shapefile( XY + XYZ) and OSM files in order to generate buildings,roads,trees,grass.
    To see supported files download GTL example data asset.

7. Nakel

Nakel

I got it!
    Excuse me but, where is the option to do that? or which is the script that executes the .shp?

8. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

When you set your shapefile data into the vector folder, you just need to change VectorType to Shapefile (From vector tab). Check what do yo want to generate, roads building ...
    The generate terrain.

9. jeffmorris1956

jeffmorris1956

I have a suggestion if you want to create a large area like a city. The terrain should be divided into X and Y grid. Each part of the grid is streamed into the game as you move from one part to other. This is how CityGen3D works.

UnityGISTech likes this.
  10. Nakel

Nakel

I'm not able to find it, All I see is to set up the terrain with flt.. is there any video I can watch... or can you show me a pic to where is located... thanks!

11. nems808

nems808

Have you tested the loader on a Mac? I am unable to load tiff terrain on a mac. For example if I try to generate a terrain using your example terrain that is in Example_TIFF>Example_Tiff_32Bit>UTM-NAD83 I get the following error:

Can't detecte terrain dimension please try againe
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    GISTech.GISTerrainLoader.EditorTerrainGenerator:CheckForDimensionAndTiles(Boolean) (at Assets/GIS Tech/GIS Terrain Loader/Scripts/GISTerrainLoaderEditor/Editor/EditorTerrainGenerator.cs:1914)
    GISTech.GISTerrainLoader.EditorTerrainGenerator:LoadElevationFile(String) (at Assets/GIS Tech/GIS Terrain Loader/Scripts/GISTerrainLoaderEditor/Editor/EditorTerrainGenerator.cs:1121)
    GISTech.GISTerrainLoader.EditorTerrainGenerator:Update() (at Assets/GIS Tech/GIS Terrain Loader/Scripts/GISTerrainLoaderEditor/Editor/EditorTerrainGenerator.cs:902)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions() (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorApplication.cs:310)

But it works windows. Can you please help me out? I've tried it in Unity 2019.3.3 and Unity 2019.4.15.

12. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Hi there, i did not test GTL on the mac before, so give me some days to install mac and check the source of issue.

Best Regards

nems808 likes this.
  13. fonkler

fonkler

Hello!
    I bought GIS Terrain Loader and it works nicely with my GeoTIFF files - thank you for that awesome asset!

I have a set of about 50 GeoTIFFs, and i would like to auto-convert them to terrains. The manual describes how to do this at "runtime" (using class "RuntimeTerrainGenerator").
    Question: is there also a way to do this in "editor mode"?

Thanks and best regards

14. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Hi there,
    GTL is Runtime/Editor tools. To open editor windows go to "Tools/GIS terrain loader".
    Drag and drop your geotiff located in "GIStech/GIS terrain loader/ressources/GIS terrains" folder into the terrain field. Set parameters and click on generate terrain.

Best regards

15. fonkler

fonkler

Hi! Thanks for your quick reply. I am aware of the user interface and have used it already.
    Perhaps my question was not clear:
    i want to write a script in c# to import my 50 GeoTIFFS (instead of having to go through the user interface 50 times).
    Which c# classes do i need to use to import a GeoTIFF using a script?
    Thank you and best regards

16. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Check your inbox .

17. truymenhden1

truymenhden1

18. truymenhden1

truymenhden1

I followed the instructions when exporting the raster image, but always gets the error "string input is not correct".
    Please explain to me!
    View attachment 819515 [/QUOTE]

19. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

[/QUOTE]
    Hi there,
    Rename your raster tiles Like "Tile__x__y.jpg" for more check example assets.
    Best regards

20. truymenhden1

truymenhden1

When i export images from global mapper, i did i follow Your tutorial, name it is: "Tile" and divide it into 4 small tiles. and i have this wrong.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  21. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Hi there,
    If you still have that error upload your file to me.
    Best regards

truymenhden1 likes this.
  22. truymenhden1

truymenhden1

Help me, please!

Attached Files:

UnityGISTech likes this.
  23. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

"Tile__0__0 not Tile_0_0"

truymenhden1 likes this.
  24. truymenhden1

truymenhden1

Thanks!
    Global mapper automatic do it! how can i fix it?

25. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Set the sampe parameters (globalmapper export) as tutorial

26. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

For globalmapper export

Attached Files:

27. bi0m3trics

bi0m3trics

I'm working with mobile lidar data (Geoslam's ZEB Horizon) and I can easily classify the ground points and save them to a separate .las file, but I'm having a tough time importing them using terrain loader. I'd eventually like to get the resulting terrain in the same location as the above-the-ground point cloud (imported using keijiro's Pcx - https://github.com/keijiro/Pcx). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

28. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Morning,
    Thanks for using GTL, Las files loaded by GTL must be GeoLas file that mean you can not obtain a terrain from point cloud model (without any georeferences).
    Basically it works via Pdal pipline to convert your Las file to DEM then to terrain.
    for more help please upload one of your las file with the result you get, and explain well what do you want to have after generation.
    Best regards.

29. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

30. newguy123

newguy123

Do I need to have Easyroads, to be able to generate roads, or the functionality is built in?

31. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Hi there,
    there is two functionality : Simple LineRender and EasyRoad.
    EasyRoad is just an integration mode to it with GTL.
    Best Regards

32. newguy123

newguy123

my question remains, do I need either LineRender or Easyroads to actually create the roads, or can GTL give me roads on its own?

33. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

LineRenderer is default road generator, you dont need to add it because it exist by default in unity engine.

newguy123 likes this.
  34. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

GIS Terrain Loader Updated to v2.4

Released date : Apr 19, 2021

Updates :

/////////////////////////////////////////////////// General Updates ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

- Added support for tiled tiff int 16 bit
    - Fixed Null Values for ASCII Files
    - Fixed Dimensions for Las Files
    - TerrainContainer Metadata table updated
    - Added ability to changed terrain parameters after generating from container tab
    - added ability to export terrain heightmaps to raw or Png grayscale
    - Runtime Terrain Generator speed optimized
    - Pdal Lib removed (Optional)
    - Support multiple OSM files
    - Ability to customize vector data tags
    - ShapeFile loading Optimized
    - Buidling Generation updated to (ScriptableBuildingObject)
    - General code optimization (Runtime-Editor)
    - New simple scene show how to calculate a distance
    - Documentation updated

Contact me for any unity compatibility issues.

35. steohl

steohl

Hi, I have just bought the GIS loader from Unity Asset Store. But I have problems when loading a GeoTiff file - the system hangs always at 92%. How come? I also triend another GeoGiff file from the same source (The National Land Survey, Sweden) with the same result. I have attached the file, if you can take a look at it?

Attached Files:

36. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Hi There,
    Sorry For Later, to solve that issue you just need to re-project your tiff file into one of GTL supported projections.
    please check your inbox for details.

Attached Files:

37. web76

web76

Hi, Just bought your asset, but having some issues.. I have xyz files from the seabed (scanned from a survey) and I am able to import those to Global mapper and create a Grid, the xyz has some geo ref ..
    In whatever format I try to export I cannot get the generated data terrain.. can you please show me the correct way?

upload_2021-6-4_15-52-11.png

38. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Hi thanks for using GTL.
    Please upload your file to me and precise :

1- which kind of file do you want to use.
    2- what kind of issue do you ancounter.

Support Email : Salahke2008@gmail.com

Best regards

39. Vince_65

Vince_65

Hi from France.
    I've just purchased your GIS terrain loader. For the moment, i'm absolutely not enjoyed. What a pity. I use Global Mapper since a few years and Unity too. I've got the latest version of Unity 2020.2.2f1
    I follow the instruction for preparing datas, folders and so on... Nothing works correctly and i often have error messages like " Input string was not in a correct format " or loading a tiff file is freezing at 99%...

Does someone has the same troubles ? Perhaps i make mistakes... but i really don't understand wich ones...
    I continue testing Every GIS formats...

Best regards,
    Vincent G.

40. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Hi Vincent,
    Thanks for using GTL, about your issue the is only two cause:
    1- Your data is not set correctly like it mentioned on the documentations.
    2- Your Data projection in not supported by GTL.
    In order to help you to solve your issue, upload your file to me.
    Email To Contact : GISTech2008@gmail.com

Best Regrads

41. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

GIS Terrain Loader Updated to v2.5

Released date : Jul 26, 2021

Updates :

/////////////////////////////////////////////////// NEW FEATURES ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    - Underwater terrain generation improved (Support full underwater terrain).
    - Added New Option to fix null and empty terrain elevation to avoid deformation.
    - Ability to load the projection and coordinates for the terrains generated in EditMode ( Generate and edit your terrain in edit mode, hit play to work with all runtime scripts).
    - Added support to load non Geo-referenced files (like Moon Surfaces ...etc).
    - Added new option to customize generated terrain layer (For ray-casting purpose).
    - Customize Loading Raw Files (Selecting Depth + Bytes Order).
    - Ability to texture terrain via Refile Shader (Color Ramp, Elevation, Slope..)
    - URP Support.
    - Adapted with NetCore Lib to convert coordinates to any needed projection (Nad83 included), for more read the documentation.
    - New Scriptableobject created to customize attributes for the vector data (No more needs to change the code).
    - Added Support to WebGL Platform.
    - Documentation updated to v1.6

/////////////////////////////////////////////////// Fixed Bugs ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    - Freezing at 99% for Undefined Geographic Coordinate System.
    - Fixed Warning Messages.
    - Fixed Resolution per-pech error.
    - Fixed Texture name format error
    - Fixed Texture detection for x & y < 2

Contact me for issues.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    Bartolomeus755 likes this.
  42. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Hi there, anybody to test the new version in Mac ?

43. newguy123

newguy123

Does this asset work with HDRP?

44. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Hi There,
    it works perfectly with HDRP and URP check the documentation for more details.
    Best Regards

newguy123 likes this.
  45. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

46. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

GIS Terrain Loader Updated to v2.6

Released date : Aug 24, 2021

Updates :

For Both Editor + Runtime

- Added Support for GPX files (Load Path + Waypoints)

- Added new GPX Example Scene

- Added Auto Oriented UI for GeoPoints + WayPoints .

1.JPG

newguy123 likes this.
  47. Arthur-LVGameDev

Arthur-LVGameDev

Hi. Pretty happy with the product thus far; makes working with lots of raw GIS data much, much easier / can get on with gameplay code much faster.

One question: What format is the OSM parser expecting? Can it handle JSON output from the OSM Overpass API?

I'm still digging into the parsing code right now, so I may figure out the answer before you'd had a chance to respond, but any guidance on what data format the OSM parser is expecting would be much appreciated.

For context, I'm basically sending a specific & filtered query to the OSM API, and getting the data back in JSON. I then have all the data I need to create, for instance, a road graph for pathfinding, etc... I was hoping I could just feed that JSON data directly into GTL, but it's throwing an error; is it expecting XML (ick), maybe?

Thank you!

48. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Hi there,

Thanks for using GTL and you are welcome for any question.
    About your main question, OSM is based on XML structure maybe there is a way to parse it via Json but i did not test it.
    Contact me i will try to solve the issue you got
    Email : GISTech2008@gmail.com

Best Regards

49. Arthur-LVGameDev

Arthur-LVGameDev

Ah, got it, thank you -- was able to get it largely working, and I've now explored that area of code pretty closely and I now understand exactly how it's working.

FWIW -- The OSM 'Overpass' API also supports a JSON output which, in my experience at least, is easier to work with & less brittle than XML.

Anyways, after digging into this a bit further, I'm going to basically write a custom OSM parser that suits my "data of interest" a bit better. If anything, it'd be nice if this area of the code was a little more extensible/less coupled, so that it was easier to add additional parsing implementations without needing to alter package code (which may make it more difficult to upgrade the package in the future). For a concrete example, I'm going to parse OSM road data, assemble it into a graph (for pathfinding purposes), and then I'll render them "manually" [via a different line-drawing library] for performance reasons. Should be totally doable as-is, hopefully without too much editing of the package code.

I'm still looking into the ideal data-set & format for getting 'high level' terrain landcover data (ie rock vs grass vs forest vs trees). Haven't dug into how OSM formats that data & how scalable [or not] their ie "tree" or "structure" data is yet. From my reading thus far (and I'm clearly still somewhat of a GIS novice), it sounds like I should be looking into vector tiles -- that sound right? Any suggestions on high-quality, low-cost, and/or best-value (ie good data/resolution + fair price + good/fast data format & query response time, etc)? =D

Ty!

50. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Hi againe,
    Happy to hear that you was able to manage your needs.
    You asked about many things in your question.
    1- About OSM pareser or other vector extensions i already created a custom scriptableobject that give you the ability to load your data without changing the code..
    2- To filter your OSM data you just need to customize your attributes in the scriptableobject and you will get the result without change the code, check it in the resource/VectorAttributes.
    3- In order to customize ex a road you just need to insert the attribute of that road into the scriptableobject, then you need to create a vector road and customize it (Width,Color,materail...etc). GTL will read your osm file and generate it according to your parameters for more check the documentations.
    4- i thing osm parsing is faster and now is being cutomizable.
    5- To get a high terrain quality use Lidar data with 5m/pixel.
    6- you can cutomize trees, building and grass with the same methode without modifing the code.

Best Regards