Search Unity

[Released] GIS Terrain Loader

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UnityGISTech, Aug 12, 2019.

1. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

GISTerrainLoader_Icone_1950x1300.png

Powerful GIS Tools for Unity Engine

GIS Terrain Loader is Runtime-Editor plugin that gives you the ability to import geographic data directly into Unity Engine, designed to load not only Real World Terrains data but also any supported customized terrain data exported from any GIS applications or external terrain generators (GlobalMapper, QGIS ,WorldMachin, ArcGIS ,SAS.Planet..etc).

GIS Terrain Loader create terrains basing on loading (Raster-Vector-DEM) data that makes importing and modifying large quantities of data fast and easy.

With GIS Terrain Loader you can:

- Import Digital Terrain Model (DTM) data to create accurate Landscapes.

- Import GIS vector lines to create 3D objects like a roads, buildings, trees and more...

- Import Raster (Textures) data to add texture to Unity terrains.

GIS Terrain Loader Support :

. DEM Data : {"

*.Flt : Floating Point Raster File,

*.Ter : Terragen File,

*.Tif (16-32bit) + Tilled Tiff : GeoTiff Files,

*.Asc : Arc ASCII Grid format,

*.Raw : Unity Heightmap data,

*.Png Grayscale : Grayscale Pixel File ,

*.Las : Lidar Point Cloud Format ,

*.Hgt : Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM) Data,

*.Bil : Band Interleaved by Line (BIL) Image File,

*. Bin : Binary Float point "} .

. Raster Data : { " *.jpg, *.Png " } .

. Vector Data : { " *.Osm : OpenStreetMap Informations , *.Shp : ESRI Geometry data " } .

*** FEATURES ***

. Generate Unity Terrains.

. Read real world elevation from DEM files ;

. Terrain Dimensions mode can bet set to "Manual" or "Auto" (to automatically read real terrain dimensions width-length);

. No more scaling problem, you can set your vector scale and make your terrain as large/small as you want;

. Setting Terrain parameters (Heightmap resolution, detail resolution …) is easy and fast directly from “Terrain preferences” GUI Tab;

. Texturing terrain with any supported raster data.

. “Splat mapping mode” will applying textures to terrain depending on customizable height/Slope.

. Customize terrain material for HDRP uses.

. Split Terrain to tiles depending manually or according to the number of raster tiles existing in the texture folder.

. GTL is able to smooth terrain with unwanted jaggies, terraces, banding and non-smoothed terrain heights and surfaces;

. GTL Is also able to generate 3D Tree, buildings, Grass and Roads by LineRender/EasyRoad3D basing on vector data (ShapeFile or OSM);

. Convert LIDAR Point Cloud (*.Las) files to high-resolution ("Tiff 32 bit") via Pdal pipeline in order to generate high quality unity terrains.

. Re-project files to geographic coordinate system.

*** PARTICULARITY FOR RUNTIME GTL ***
    - Ability to load terrain from StreamingAsset folder or from any location in the hard disk.

- Get and Set Geographic coordinates and elevation (m) of any object/position on the terrain.

- 3D Camera included;

- Runtime Demo Scene Included with customized UI Interface.

- Suppport different projections (Geographic Lat-Lon (Decimal, Deg min sec) / UTM (Meter, MGRUTM) /Lambert.

*** SUPPORT ***
    - Full source code included ;

- Compatible with Unity’s terrain system;

- Easy to use with video & documentation;

- Works with unity 2018,2019,2020;

- Active support through emails and forum posts.

API Compatibility Level to .NET 4.x

Download GIS Terrain Loader from the asset store

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/integration/gis-terrain-loader-147632

Download Data Examples

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/integration/gis-terrain-loader-data-exemples-152552

Documentations

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tc6_Z4w3Z7Q2BDHc-qbr0y1okRFNX11D/view

Current version v2.3

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    JBR-games likes this.
  2. july731520

july731520

Can the loaded terrain be edit by Unity's Terrain Tools?

3. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Hi July

Yes, Once terrain is generated it can be edited by Unity, this tools work with new terrain system.

For more Info please watch the video tutorial .

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  4. july731520

july731520

I purchased!

It seems can't run in 2019.2.

So I watched your video and run in 2018.3, but I got problems.

I can't generate terrain like video with your asset and my own.

The terrain seems to be very large, I can't see them all.

Do you have tutorial documents? I want to know how to set the parameters

5. july731520

july731520

I got Terrain Dimentions like this with your desert asset
    upload_2019-8-16_17-51-57.png

6. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

we will soon update the asset to work with unity 2019.
    we are testing the asset on the same unity version that you are using we hope fixing that soon .

7. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Probleme solved please read your inbox.

8. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

GIS Terrain Loader Updated to v1.2 :

- Added support for Unity 2019.1 and Unity 2019.2
    - Fixing some bugs happening with Unity 2018.3.
    - Editor GUI improved.
    - New : Added the ability to smooth Terrain surface and Terrain Heighs
    this option used on hight heightmap resolutions . Smoothing.jpg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  9. july731520

july731520

when can I get this updated package? The ability to smooth Terrain is useful!

10. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Package is on reviewing by unity asset store.

Yes ,if you try to load terrain with heightmap resolution > loaded file resolution you will have result as its shown on the first picture (top/ left)
    using smoothe operation help to have clean terrain surface without box shape appearing.

11. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

GIS Terrain Loader Updated to v1.3

- Added support for OSM Vector Data (Tree + Grass).

Mike891 likes this.
  12. Gibbonuk

Gibbonuk

Hi, i am interested in purchasing, however, its hard to tell if it does some features that i'm wanting so maybe you could answer before I buy.

So just to clarify, does the current asset (on the asset store) do the following?

Load terrain elevation and textures at runtime?

Is it 1 texture per terrain or 4?

Can you also elaborate on the OSM vector data for trees.

Lastly can you advise on any alternative software from Global Mapper than can export FLT and imagery that isn't $549!

Thanks

13. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Hi there

This asset work on editor and at runtime.

At runtime you can load terrains and textures from your hard disk.

By using globalmapper you will be able to split your large texture into small tiles (4x4 - 5×8 16x16...etc).

GIS terrain Loader detect the number of tiles in texture folder and split your large terrain in to small unity terrain.

By exporting OSM data file and past it into VectorData folder GIS Terrain Loader will be able to generate Grass and trees, (we are working to add this option to runtime ).

You can use any prefab for grass and trees, Package already contain some prefabs.

This asset designed to use any software able to export texture and DTM files as FLT format.
    Globalmapper is the best to use this asset.
    But we can add support for other extensions like ASCII or RAW files if we are in need of that.

Thanks

14. Gibbonuk

Gibbonuk

My big
    Thank you, I think this is great and a near perfect solution for my project. My only is issue managing to actually get a hold of the imagery and elevation data in a organised format without having to buy software for £500+. You see I want my users to be able to add their own terrains to my project, so not everyone (including me) will want to spend £500+ on gloabalmapper. Is there any other solution, I have tried looking for other softwares that export FLT and there doesnt seem to be many?

Plus, if different user acquire data from different softwares how is it organised when loaded into your asset. As in, how does the GIS Terrain Loader know the location of the data?

Thanks
    Andy

15. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Hi againe

Please watch tutorial videos to understand how this asset works.

GIS terrain Loader is an integration offline tools so he could not download data from online sources.
    He is developped after many requesting of GloablMapper " saying : how to export terrains from Globalmapper to Unity Engine (Editor and Runtime) "

Globalmapper has a lot of data sources including premium data.

You can use GlobalMapper for 30 days to test how it works.

Thats a good idea may be we will include online sources for GIS Terrain Loader in the future.

16. Gibbonuk

Gibbonuk

Ahh ok, so this asset is suited mainly for globalmapper?

I would purchase your asset if i had globalmapper or other software that could output the FLT files.

I will have to do some more research.

Thanks

UnityGISTech likes this.
  17. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Let us more time

Let us more time maybe GIS Terrain Loader will support more DTM files like (ASCI,bt,raw...etc).

18. Gibbonuk

Gibbonuk

Ok thank you, look forward to it.

19. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Some users ask if GIS Terrain Loader can load terrains from free GIS software because Globalmapper is expensive.

So we would tell all users that GIS terrain Loader will soon load terrains from QGIS.

QGIS is free software.

20. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

New Update v1.4 For GIS Terrain Loader :

- GIS Terrain Loader can load terrains from (QGIS && SAS.Planet).

- Added support for Terragen files ("*.Ter") and GeoTiff files ("*.Tif").

- OSM Vector loader added to Runtime GIS Terrain Loader.

21. arielcaine

arielcaine

HI, I purchased the latest version of GIS Terrain Loader. i'm working with QGIS + SAS and followed the tutorial on how to generate the texture file tiles, DEM and preview file. I'm missing the process for generating the terrain in Unity as i dont have an .flt file. if i generate the terrain from the DEM through the Terrain loader it doesnt read the texture tiles..
    how do i load into unity?

22. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Hello
    thanks for purchasing GIS terrain Loader.
    To solve your problem you must select texture source (on GIS TL GUI)... from (globalmapper or from SAS.planet).
    If you are using QGIS or youd ont have .flt you can use .TIFF as DEM file.
    Please check your demo scene and your example files to see how files must be ordred.
    We hope this will be helpful, if you find any issues recontact us.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  23. arielcaine

arielcaine

worked :) thanks!

24. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

If you find it useful please rate and review in unity asset store.
    You can request at any time for more features.

25. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

GIS Terrain Loader Updated to v1.5

Released date : 19-05-2020

Updates :
    ==========================

/////////// DEM Support ////////////////////////

- GIS Terrain Loader now support *.Asc DEM ESRI ASCII GRID (any size).

- GIS Terrain Loader Also support *.PNG DEM (GrayScale), images can be loaded directly without any resizing.

- Added support for *.Raw files.

/////////// Vector Data Support ////////////////////////

- GIS Terrain Loader is able to Generate roads via (Simple Unity LineRender or via EasyRoad3D Pro)

- Ability to generate roads lable via TextMesh.

/////////// General changes ////////////////////////

- Code improved. - Some bugs Fixed .

- Tested on Unity 2019.2

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  26. tzanetti

tzanetti

Hello,
    I purchased GIS Terrain Loader and I have a few questions :
    - Is it possible tu use an other elevation data source than SRTM30 Data ? I work on a SIG project and we have our own LiDAR data that i would like to use rather than SRTM30
    - Is it possible to use a different coordinate system ? My SIG project is using EPSG:2154 Lambert93 ... do I have to translate all the data in EPSG:4326 WGS84 or is it a way to run GIS Loader with Lambert93 datas ?
    - Is there a terrain dimension limit ?
    - Is there a resolution limit ?
    Thanks for your work

27. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Hi there
    Thanks for purchasing GTL

1- for Lidar files please send to me a link of your elevation file we will try to add support for it.
    2- let me know which GIS application are you using.
    3- actually GTL support Geographic coordinates system maybe we can add support for lambert 93.
    4-terrian dimensions limited by the amount of data are you using. Huge terrain consume more memory. To solve that we must add terrain streaming system ( in the future version) .
    5- you can use terrain terrain resolution t x4096

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  28. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

GIS Terrain Loader Updated to v1.6

Released date : Jun 15, 2020

Updates :

/////////// DEM Support ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

- Added support for *.Las Lidar Files.

- Convert Las Automatically to Tiff 32 bit in the same folder

- Added support for *.Tiff 32-bit float point.

/////////// Support new Geo-referencing system ////////////////////

- GIS Terrain Loader can load DEM Files type of (Las and Tiff) projected in (UTM and Lembert) than re-project them to Geographic(Lat/Lon).

/////////// General changes ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

- New GUI Style for Editor tools.
    - TextureSource Removed and Replaced by auto-Source Detection via Json File contains sources formats located in Resources folder.
    - Terrains dimension can now loaded automatically or set manually for all DEM files.
    - added ability to set terrain tiles count when TerrainTexture set to WithoutTexture.
    - Code improved.
    - Some bugs Fixed .

New Into Video :

Lidar To Unity Tutorial

29. LoganPark

LoganPark

Hi, using your included terrain DEM assets (e.g., Assets/GIS Tech/GIS Terrain Loader/Resources/GIS Terrains/SAS.Planet/Island/Island.tif) as well as arbitrary DEMs generated in QGIS as Uint16 GeoTiffs (per your great tutorial video), I get the following errors, from a clean install of your package into Unity 2019.3.15, running the Runtime Demo Scene:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Couldn't convert Terrain file:
    2. UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    3. GISTech.GISTerrainLoader.ProjectionReader:LoadJsonData() (at Assets/GIS Tech/GIS Terrain Loader/Scripts/GISTerrainLoaderRuntime/GISTerrainLoaderGeoRef/GeoRefConversion.cs:406)
    4. GISTech.GISTerrainLoader.ProjectionReader:.ctor(String, PdalRader) (at Assets/GIS Tech/GIS Terrain Loader/Scripts/GISTerrainLoaderRuntime/GISTerrainLoaderGeoRef/GeoRefConversion.cs:299)
    5. GISTech.GISTerrainLoader.GISTerrainLoaderTIFFLoader:LoadTiff(TextureMode, String, GISTerrainLoaderFileData) (at Assets/GIS Tech/GIS Terrain Loader/Scripts/GISTerrainLoaderCommun/GISTerrainLoaderElevationLoader/GISTerrainLoaderTIFFLoader.cs:127)
    6. GISTech.GISTerrainLoader.<LoadElevationFile>d__41:MoveNext() (at Assets/GIS Tech/GIS Terrain Loader/Scripts/GISTerrainLoaderRuntime/RuntimeTerrainGenerator.cs:266)
    7. UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
    8. GISTech.GISTerrainLoader.RuntimeTerrainGenerator:Update() (at Assets/GIS Tech/GIS Terrain Loader/Scripts/GISTerrainLoaderRuntime/RuntimeTerrainGenerator.cs:110)
    then

Code (CSharp):
    1. pdalc
    3. UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    4. GISTech.GISTerrainLoader.ProjectionReader:LoadJsonData() (at Assets/GIS Tech/GIS Terrain Loader/Scripts/GISTerrainLoaderRuntime/GISTerrainLoaderGeoRef/GeoRefConversion.cs:408)
    5. GISTech.GISTerrainLoader.ProjectionReader:.ctor(String, PdalRader) (at Assets/GIS Tech/GIS Terrain Loader/Scripts/GISTerrainLoaderRuntime/GISTerrainLoaderGeoRef/GeoRefConversion.cs:299)
    6. GISTech.GISTerrainLoader.GISTerrainLoaderTIFFLoader:LoadTiff(TextureMode, String, GISTerrainLoaderFileData) (at Assets/GIS Tech/GIS Terrain Loader/Scripts/GISTerrainLoaderCommun/GISTerrainLoaderElevationLoader/GISTerrainLoaderTIFFLoader.cs:127)
    7. GISTech.GISTerrainLoader.<LoadElevationFile>d__41:MoveNext() (at Assets/GIS Tech/GIS Terrain Loader/Scripts/GISTerrainLoaderRuntime/RuntimeTerrainGenerator.cs:266)
    8. UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
    9. GISTech.GISTerrainLoader.RuntimeTerrainGenerator:Update() (at Assets/GIS Tech/GIS Terrain Loader/Scripts/GISTerrainLoaderRuntime/RuntimeTerrainGenerator.cs:110)
    (and then several more subsequent errors as the GeoTiff loader c# tries to continue).

edit2: the editor script produces precisely the same error (when trying to load the included terrain file Assets/GIS Tech/GIS Terrain Loader/Resources/GIS Terrains/Globalmapper/TIFF/Tiff_Int16Bit/Geographic(LatLon)/TIFF.tif), ruling out the runtime demo question.

Is this problem from:
    • using 2019.3
    • using the example GeoTiffs
    • using the runtime demo on the example tif
    • something else I'm missing?
    Thanks for rapidly expanding this asset's input filetypes list recently!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  30. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Ops

Sorry if that errors happen in unity 2019.3.5.
    GTL not tested yet on that version but it works well in unity 2018, 2019.1 and 2019.2 .

Thanks for trying GTL on unity 2019.3.
    Please let me test it on that version to know the source of that errors.

Best regards

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  31. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Hi LoganPark
    We tested the asset on Unity 2019.4.15.1f and 2019.3.15 it works well without any issues (generating terrains in editor or runtime).

Please tel me more about your system (windows-OS).
    Try to use another unity version if its possible.
    Check if unity has permission to read files from external sources.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  32. wangsong133

wangsong133

Can you tell me why the TIF file I loaded can't display normally

Attached Files:

33. nz169182123

nz169182123

I have some problems with this asset. Lots of errors are still showing. I tried may times but still not working. Help me please!
    upload_2020-8-13_12-47-39.png

34. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Morning

Sorry if that errors happend, GTL not tested yet Unity 2019.4.

Give me some time to update the asset and fix all errors with your unity that versions.

Issues source :

scripts located on that folder " Scripts\GISTerrainLoaderRuntime\GISTerrainLoaderImageEffects"

1 - Maybe scriptes not working with unity 2019.4
    2- it seems that you already have those scripts in your StandaAsset Folder

Quick Solution :

Try to delete effect folders that already in your project
    Assets/NatureStarterKit/Standard Assets/Effects/ImageEffects/Scriptes;

or Delete GTL effect scriptes in :

" Scripts\GISTerrainLoaderRuntime\GISTerrainLoaderImageEffects"

i hope this can solve your problem

best regards

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  35. wangsong133

wangsong133

I solved it

36. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Where was your issue?

37. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Hi again GTL tested in Unity 2019.4.7, it works without any problem so :
    Try to delete effect folders that already in your project
    Assets/NatureStarterKit/Standard Assets/Effects/ImageEffects/Scriptes;

or Delete GTL effect scriptes in :

" Scripts\GISTerrainLoaderRuntime\GISTerrainLoaderImageEffects".

38. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

GIS Terrain Loader Updated to v1.8

Released date : Sep 02, 2020

Updates :

/////////////////////////////////////////////////// General Updates ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

- Example GIS Data Removed from the package;
    - New asset created contains all examples GIS Data " GIS Terrain Loader Examples" for free download;
    - Some Third-Party plugins Removed ;
    - Tested in Unity 2019.4.7f1.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////// GTL Editor Updates ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

- Tool-tip + description added ;
    - Added Save and Load User Pref;
    - Added Icons for Help + Support;
    - Alignment of GUI element Fixed.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////// GTL Runtime Updates ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

- All Runtime Generator parameters assembled and organized in a single script "GISTerrainLoaderRuntimePrefs.cs";
    - New GUI Style for Terrain Preferences;
    - Tool-tip + description added ;
    - Added Function to convert any Lat/Lon to Unity World Space in GeoRefConvertion.cs;
    - Fixed MouseGetLatLon(Vector3 SpacePostion) function.

GIS Terrain Loader (Runtime).jpg

GIS Terrain Loader (Editor).png

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  39. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Sorry, " GIS Terrain Loader Examples " asset is not available yet in the asset store, this is temporarily link for the asset content :

https://mega.nz/file/kmoQ1SQS#CttGYV2lgtJt-8A-ijCdYDMn0kDOnqn0ETAvcE2E3z8

we separate examples to a new asset to reduce the GTL main asset size.

Data must be imported in to : "Assets\GIS Tech\GIS Terrain Loader\Resources\GIS Terrains" Folder.

40. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

41. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Hi there,

when you build PC standalone be sure that terrain shaders are included in your project.

- Nature/Terrain/Diffuse
    - Nature/Terrain/Specular
    - Nature/Terrain/Standar

Player Settings.jpg

Shaders.png

Result from Standalone

Runtime.png

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  42. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

GIS Terrain Loader Updated to v1.9

Released date : Sep 12, 2020 (Pending Review)

Updates :

/////////////////////////////////////////////////// GTL Editor Updates ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

- Added Icon to download "GIS Terrain loader data examples";
    - Added new texturing mode " Splatmapping " with a video tutorial;
    - Ability to add color to terrain without any texture (Optional);

/////////////////////////////////////////////////// GTL Runtime Updates ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

- Fixed Some Errors;
    - Added new texturing mode " Splatmapping " with simple script to show how to use Runtime GIS Terrain Loader with splatmap;
    - New Demo Scene in Scene Folder for " Procedural Terrain splatmap";
    - Ability to add color to terrain without any texture (Optional);

(Editor) Procedural Terrain splatmap video Tutorial

(Runtime) Procedural Terrain splatmap Result
    Tutorial exist in demo scene folder; 02.png

01.png

43. jeffmorris1956

jeffmorris1956

I'm thinking of buying GIS Terrain Loader plugin. I know that it can generate roads from OSM data. Will the plugin generate buildings from OSM data?

44. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Hi there,

GTL actually generate roads,Grass and trees from OSM Vector data.

we are working on it, GIS terrain loader 2.0 will also support building.

45. jeffmorris1956

jeffmorris1956

I'm not sure if I buy the plugin now or wait for V2.0. I was not happy with another plugin that generates roads and buildings from OSM data.

46. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Hi there, if you only need buildings and roads you can use another.
    Just Take your time to think about needs of your project and which asset that will realy help you.

As the 2.0 not released yet, you can give me some idea about what do you want exactly in your project maybe i can customize a part of the GTL asset for you. (New version need at least 10 days)

47. jeffmorris1956

jeffmorris1956

I wish to create a driving game in a city. Think GTA. The other plugin is very slow in generating buildings, roads, and terrains. I tried generating in groups of 4X4 terrains but the edges of terrains in one group don't match those in another group.

48. UnityGISTech

UnityGISTech

Hi there
    Take a look on BuildR Procedural Building Generator asset.

49. jeffmorris1956

jeffmorris1956

I don't have $150 for BuildR Procedural Building Generator asset.

50. ac026650

ac026650

I would like to ask, why is this and where is the problem

Loaded Zone Bounds : P1 - {12018159.109,5037755.431} P2 - {12018159.109,5037755.431}
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)

Terrain Dimensions : 0 X 0 Km
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)

Can't detecte terrain dimension please try againe .
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)