Search Unity

[RELEASED] Genesis for MicroVerse

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Rowlan, Oct 30, 2022.

1. Rowlan

Rowlan

Overview

Genesis for MicroVerse is an extension for MicroVerse. MicroVerse, created by industry expert Jason Booth, is a Non Destructive, Real Time environment creation system. No baking, no waiting, no preview windows - everything is live, editable, and updated in real time.

The focus of Genesis is on getting you started quickly with a MicroVerse setup. It consists of helper tools for quick and flexible adjustments for your scene. When Jason started development of MicroVerse he asked me if I wanted to join and contribute with demo scenes and testing. For this I needed to create all kinds of terrain setups in a quick and flexible way. This is how Genesis came to be and I thought I'd share the asset because I think it will be useful for you guys as well.

When you look at my youtube channel you can see that I'm all for prototyping and getting quick results in a very short amount of time. As such I took the opportunity and integrated several more features which aren't directly related to MicroVerse, such as Post-Processing setup, Lighting setup, Third Person camera setup, etc.

The asset is ready-to-use as it is and at the same time still in active development with more features to come. Features will be added and changed depending on customer feedback and depending on changes in MicroVerse and the Unity Splines.

Features

Genesis for MicroVerse consists of these core features, split into various Modules

World Building
    • create MicroVerse using presets
    • create and modify terrain
    • presets for Height Stamps and Terrain Layers
    • apply the presets to MicroVerse
    Terraform
    • tools for applying settings to the MicroVerse stamps, e. g. fit stamp to terrain, center stamp, etc
    Visual Ambience
    • assign post processing to scene
    • set sun position using presets
    Gameplay
    • setup third person controller
    • add application tools
    Converter
    • conversion mechanisms, eg create content collection from heightmaps
    In general Genesis is working with presets that you can create and configure as you please. It's a helpful tool to quickly adjust and populate MicroVerse. Genesis is designed to not be required for the build, as such it is an editor tool.

The render pipeline support is similar to the render pipelines that MicroVerse supports. There are some features which will be added during development. For now Post Processing is supported with custom Post Processing presets for URP and HDRP coming in the future.

Please read the Asset Store description for more information.

2. Rowlan

Rowlan

Abouth paths: If you know my other assets for path creation which were based on the Unity Terrain Tools you can see that MicroVerse is not a destructive path painter, it's a non-destructive path shaper. You can flexibly adjust the paths depending on your needs.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
  3. Rowlan

Rowlan

The first integration is River Auto Material by NatureManufacture. I added a script that synchronizes a MicroVerse spline with a RAM 2019 river. Same with the RAM 2019 lake on a closed MicroVerse spline.

Oh by the way, NatureManufacture has a Humble Bundle sale currently. I can highly recommend to get their assets. I'll be preparing presets for the MicroVerse content browser with their assets. Whether those will be added to Genesis or directly into MicroVerse will be decided depending on feedback and what's better and more convenient for you guys.

heartingNinja and Gokcan like this.
  4. Rowlan

Rowlan

Another use case, here with my Ultimate StampIT! Collection.

You can try and use the free stamps as well in Micro Verse.

The next one's an example about decisions. I created a Wasteland preset, but it felt better to have it directly integrated into MicroVerse rather than Genesis. Jason allowed be to put it into MicroVerse directly, after all it benefits everyone. So if you buy Genesis, you support me in that regards as well. And thank you very much! :)

You can see how fast you can set up a terrain, MicroVerse is awesome!

5. Rowlan

Rowlan

Version 1.2.0 is out:
    • Integration: custom width for RAM spline
    • Integration: updated RAM river and lake integration
    • Integration: Vegetation Studio Pro integration
    • Converter: extract tree and detail objects of Unity terrain and create MicroVerse tree and vegetation stamps
    • Terraform: create spline mask from bounds of gameobjects
    Please note: RAM and Lake Sync scripts moved to this location:
    Assets/Rowlan/Genesis/External/Integrations/RAM 2019
    Please remove the old Sync scripts.

6. tosvus

tosvus

Hi, this looks really nice! I am thinking of picking up your stamps pack (ultimate) and Genesis. With that and Microverse, do you see a case for also buying Gaia etc? I'm super excited for Microverse, and your stamps look amazing, but it is not entirely clear to me how all this functionality matches up.... I understand this question may be a bit out of left field :p

7. Rowlan

Rowlan

Thank you! Please keep in mind that Genesis is an extension to MicroVerse, you'd need MicroVerse. It's a toolset I created myself for getting quick results. Btw I currently have a discount on Genesis if you own my Ultimate Stamps. So better buy them in succession than all in one pack.

Which direction you want to go you have to decide for yourself. The assets work differently. What I can do is showcase MicroVerse which is my personal favorite, i mean that's why I created Genesis:

Btw Genesis will have automatic river shaping soon, work in progress:

tosvus likes this.
  8. Rowlan

Rowlan

I'm also creating presets for MicroVerse with my favorite assets. I figured it's better for everyone to have them included directly in MicroVerse than in Genesis. If you want to support me for this, just buy Genesis or my Stamps :)

Here's Castle Valley:

9. tosvus

tosvus

I'm just mind blown by this, so I will be getting Microverse, Ultimate Stamps and Genesis! My first purchase of the lot will be Ultimate Stamps! :)

Rowlan likes this.
  10. Rowlan

Rowlan

I created new Tropical Forest Pack presets for MicroVerse:

If you want to support me for this, just buy Genesis or my Stamps :)

11. Rowlan

Rowlan

I created more presets for MicroVerse. Here's eg a Tropical Island scene with Crest Ocean System. The scene is created within 20 seconds:

Jason allowed me to put the presets directly into MicroVerse. I thought it would be better this way rather than a dedicated asset, so they are available for everyone to use.

In case you'd like to support my work on this, just buy one of my assets :)

Gokcan likes this.
  12. Rowlan

Rowlan

For those who want to use stylized assets, here are presets for Dreamscape Nature: Meadows

The scene is created within 40 seconds:

13. unicat

unicat

Hi, i have imported the Castle Valley Collection in my Project. But it doesn`t show in the Microverse browser. Only a picture and a download button. Must i do something else ? Thank you.

14. Rowlan

Rowlan

Which Unity version do you use? The detection is basically a selected prefab of the asset, ie depends on the meta file.

15. unicat

unicat

Using Unity 2021.3.16f1

16. Rowlan

Rowlan

Built-In, URP or HDRP?

17. unicat

unicat

HDRP . All other packages are working fine, Meadow, Tropical forest...

18. Rowlan

Rowlan

Looks like the HDRP version of Castle Valley has different meta information, hence the same objects won't be detected between render pipelines. I'd have to create the same presets, but for a virtually different asset.

It's not in the scope of Genesis, but I want it for myself anyway. Might as well share it when it's finished.

19. unicat

unicat

@Rowlan , would be nice. Thank you.

20. Rowlan

Rowlan

I committed it to the MV github. Do you have access to it? It's now a dedicated asset listed in the Content Browser:

cv.png

21. unicat

unicat

Yes, i have access. Many thanks for this.

Rowlan likes this.
  22. Rowlan

Rowlan

You're welcome. Btw I swapped the previously used stamp to be the new object stamp now. This allows me to place gameobjects like the rock piles here along the slope.

cv.jpg

23. ftejada

ftejada

Hi @Rowlan !!!
    I have some doubts about Genesis for MicroVerse because I want to buy it.

1) Does the window called "MicroVerse Browser" belong to Genesis?

If so...

2) I see in your videos that "MicroVerse Browser" has created presets already configured to just drag them into the scene. And I see in some of your videos that you have a Crest preset.
    Can you create a preset of any GameObject or prefab, such as KWS from kripto or the vegetation of this asset with TVE?: https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...ium=affiliate&utm_source=partnerize-linkmaker

Can you explain a bit about question nº2?

Greetings.

24. Rowlan

Rowlan

The Content Browser is part of MicroVerse, you don't need Genesis for it. I create presets and put them into MicroVerse rather than Genesis, ie I do that for free. In case you want to support my work buy Genesis :)

Presets are basically prefabs with additional automatisms added. Like the Crest Ocean preset has a clear stamp attached to it which removes the vegetation (trees, etc) below a certain height. Tree and detail stamps are placement algorithms which use regular terrain trees and details. So anything you can do with standard Unity you can do with MicroVerse.

ftejada likes this.
  25. ftejada

ftejada

And the additional automatisms added (stamps and algorithms), that you put on those prefabs, are they from Microverse or are they made by you?

I'm guessing they're from Microverse, but I bought the asset last night and haven't been able to test it yet...
    Can you create Presets of anything for Microverse and add those little photos you see in your videos to them? Or is there something Genesis adds to the Microverse to be able to create Presets?

Regards.

26. Rowlan

Rowlan

It's different. The base is MicroVerse. All the presets I put in MicroVerse can be used with MicroVerse directly. Genesis enhances the user interface by providing tools for quick preset modification. Like eg spline shaper, knot reducer. You can see it as extended user interface to the MicroVerse stamps. Plus I took the opportunity to add also gameplay enhancers to get quicker to working gameplay.

Example regarding enhancement: I have eg a quick button to stretch and center a stamp. However then I got the idea of doing that directly in the Content Browser. Jason allowed me to put my code in there and a few shortcuts. You can see them in the bottom bar:

browser.png
    It just made more sense to have that in there directly. Doesn't mean I removed features from Genesis. It's all in flux and I'm happy to extend directly in MicroVerse if it works better with the UI flow.

Or in other words: It evolves in a direction that benefits everyone's usability and I'm happy Jason trusts me to allow me to change his code.

It's similar with the presets. I could create a dedicated asset, put them in Genesis or directly into MicroVerse. For me personally it makes more sense to have them in MicroVerse. This might change in the future with the number of presets I create. I mean after all they have to be maintained and one might not want to update MicroVerse only because a preset got modified.

You can create your own presets any way you want. Including the images. They'll show up in the content browser automatically.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
    ftejada likes this.
  27. Rowlan

Rowlan

I started adapting more of NatureManufacture assets and thought this over. It makes much more sense to have a dedicated asset for the presets. It's a clear separation between code and content. So I submitted a new asset today. I also added the ones I put into MicroVerse to the new asset. This way I don't have to bother Jason to submit MicroVerse because I changed the seed on a stamp :)

Pending review by the Asset Store team:

Cover Image.jpg

28. Rowlan

Rowlan

I added a preview image creator. With this you can create preview images for the content borwser and have them auto-assigned to your MicroVerse presets at the click of a button:

Update 1.4.0 is pending review by the Asset Store team.

ftejada likes this.
  29. variolas

variolas

upload_2023-2-9_22-22-10.png
    I updated to the latest version in package manager, and after importing it, I get this error, unity version is 2021.3.15. What could be the general reason for this?

30. Rowlan

Rowlan

It looks like EditorCoroutines isn't active in the package manager. Can you check please? Normally it's active by default.

31. variolas

variolas

After reading your reply, I did the following.
    1. Checked package manager, Genesis is not found in in project.
    2, Genesis files are all there
    3. I deleted all the files of Genesis
    4, re-imported Genesis
    5, there are still these two error reports
    6. There is still no Genesis in in project of package manager.
    7、Use package manager's add package from disk, find the .json file in Genesis folder and add it.
    8, package manager in project has Genesis, but the error still exists.
    9、I tested Genesis with the new project and it is fine. The only difference between the new project and the old project is that the new project uses package manager to download the micro verse. the old project downloads the micro verse directly from github.

Maybe this update method is not compatible with Genesis.
    Since the package manager update method sometimes loses files. So Jason Booth recommends that we use github to update his plugins.
    Or can you think of any other reason for this, or any way to fix it?

32. variolas

variolas

33. Rowlan

Rowlan

Genesis is supposed to be installed via Package Manager like any other asset. I don't provide GitHub access. It installs into the Assets folder for several reasons, one being that some supported 3rd party assets like the NatureManufacture ones don't provide package references.

I just tried in 2021.3.15.

* install MicroVerse via GitHub
    * install MicroVerse Splines via GitHub
    * install Genesis from the Asset Store

Works just fine. I also moved the folder to a z3rd like you have. No problems.

The error you are seeing though makes me wonder why in your case the Editor Coroutines aren't active in Package Manager. Can you check that?

* Open Package Manager
    * Packages: Unity Registry

pm.png
    I hope Unity didn't change that behaviour in a minor version from .15 to .16

Feel free to contact me directly on discord, that way we can have this quicker resolved.

34. variolas

variolas

Ah! The problem was solved after installing Editor Coroutines.
    Thank you very much!

I didn't realize it was a plugin before, my old project was built earlier and I never encountered a situation where I needed this package.

Thanks again for your help!

35. Rowlan

Rowlan

Ah! So you upgraded? That might explain why it wasn't there.

36. Rowlan

Rowlan

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
  37. Rowlan

Rowlan

I was asked to create an EasyRoads3D integration. EasyRoads3D is so versatile, there's no way to fully support it with intersections and all the other features it has on a free basis. However I didn't want to "not" support it since I was approached with that request. So here's a script that might help you. It's free, grab it if you want. I'll add it to Genesis as well for convenience, but it will not be an official part of Genesis. I hope you understand ;)

Here's a quick use case:

The script is attached. Enjoy :)

Attached Files:

38. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Very amazing package.
    Just beginning my learning journey and checking out the demo projects.
    I'm on unity 2021.3.18f1
    URP 12.1.10

Demo scene 3.2+ works great. But the Scene main and scene runtime both have pink even though I used unity URP conversion. What do I need to get these two scenes working on my URP version.

Cheers

Attached Files:

39. Rowlan

Rowlan

That's sth for the Easy Roads publisher / forum :)

40. too_old

too_old

Afternoon Rowlan,
    Just started using Genesis, have filled out the terrain and the stamps and now doing the layers. I'm assuming this is the texturing. It doesn't seem to support dragging and dropping the templates from microverse, so ok I create a layer set it to active and slope enabled, but the range is from 0-1 ? what does 1 equate to in regards to a slope, seems a bit strange to not follow the same as microverse (it could also be I'm not holding it correctly, however in my defence the docs dont cover this)

41. Rowlan

Rowlan

Yes, that's terrain layers. The slope is [0..90] degrees, but Genesis uses normalized values for that and other settings in a [0..1] range. I should add a tooltip for that.

If you have more questions and feedback, just hit me up in the microverse discord or post here.

I'm actually working on an update with a streamlined workflow in combination with the MicroVerse Content Browser so that eg users can shuffle what's been created.

Like this:

regenesis.gif
    Here the relative values make sense, don't want eg a dune in the height range of the full terrain height.

42. biscito

biscito

i can't use a light cookie ?

microves + microsplat = no cookie in directional light

Last edited: May 9, 2023
  43. Rowlan

Rowlan

Please use the MicroSplat discord for support, these are not my assets. I'd help you of course either way, but I'm not familiar with light cookies :)

Last edited: May 10, 2023
  44. Rowlan

Rowlan

45. lunarspore

lunarspore

Thanks for making this awesome tool.
    I'm having some errors when importing Genesis and I'm hoping it's a simple fix. I'm running 2022.2.18. Microverse itself, as well as splines for Microverse are all working fine, however when I import Genesis I get these errors:

Assets\Rowlan\Genesis\Editor\Genesis\Modules\Path\SplineAlignmentAsync.cs(4,13): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'EditorCoroutines' does not exist in the namespace 'Unity' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Assets\Rowlan\Genesis\Editor\Genesis\Modules\Path\SplineShape.cs(5,13): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'EditorCoroutines' does not exist in the namespace 'Unity' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Thanks for any help you can provide!

46. Rowlan

Rowlan

Thank you very much for your support :)

Please make sure that Editor Coroutines is enabled in the package manager. It should be by default, especially in 2022.2. It might not be if you upgraded from an older version where it was deactivated.

Unity_hMiA8VWE12.png

47. lunarspore

lunarspore

Thank you, that was the problem. Everything's working great now - cheers!

Rowlan likes this.
  48. Rowlan

Rowlan

A little heads up of what's coming next to Genesis for MicroVerse:

Jason has released MicroVerse Roads this week.

MicroVerse-Roads-Cover.jpg

I enhanced Genesis with convenience tools for it for even faster design, eg:

* auto-connect intersections with roads
    * create road network grid
    * alignment, subdivision, knot reduction, unrolling
    * designers like looping, knot, twist, hills,
    * place objects along the road, eg struts for rollercoaster
    * selection utils
    * alignment
    * etc

It'll be a free update, probably released next week.

49. Rowlan

Rowlan

Preview of what's coming to Genesis:

50. Tom163

Tom163

Got this + Microverse on my wishlist. It's a sure buy once I have the budget for my next indie game set up. Absolutely worth it, despite being borderline unaffordable for a hobbyist (300 € for both bundles).

The two of you have just moved Unity 5+ years ahead. I've published one of the first terrain tools on the asset store in 2011 and you're doing stuff here that I've been waiting for over a decade to happen. Just amazing !

Rowlan likes this.