Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

[Released] Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.7B

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

26.0%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

29.1%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

35.8%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.3%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.3%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.8%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.7%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.4%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.6%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Finishing more small tweaks of the FBA here, you can see the death-get up transition during that state, handling the camera properly like it is on the actual ragdoll head:

And here, the main editor button to start the game on first or third person also handles the FBA state:

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  2. johny256

johny256

-Cooking/farming/survival Systems?

3. sr388

sr388

Yes, that is very planned on the last update of 3.0 version, which will be 3.9.

Upcoming update 3.7 is almost ready, including full body awareness and new tools and options.

3.8 will be focused on online and VR and 3.9 will have cover system along the above elements and some other, including building system to make structures and other objects on scene.

Regards.

4. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a view to the proper checked state to grab objects physically on player's hands on third person and full body awareness, allowing to set a custom position on FBA and enable transparency on the object if needed, to avoid to block the view according to its size:

Here the view on the editor, as you can see, full body and IK is active on FBA:

Regards.

Mark_01, blacksun666 and EN_Games like this.
  5. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

More checks made on the FBA, including to properly keep the body active while using devices, with also options to disable it if needed and to move or not the camera out of the head or keep it and just make the camera to look on the device direction:

Regards.

EN_Games and blacksun666 like this.
  6. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I extended the integration of Easy Build System to handle the inventory management, so objects placed/removed are properly taken/added from player's inventory and checking if there are units available or not:

it just requires to create regular inventory objects with the GKC inventory creator to handle the EBS pieces, which is very quick.

The doc is attached on this message.

Let me know if anyone gives a try and if there is some part hard to understand or if any issue happens. I have tried it and so far, it works properly and there shouldn't be any aspect with a problem, but maybe the doc needs some tweak or fix haha, no rush of course.

Regards.

Attached Files:

Mark_01 and EN_Games like this.
  7. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a new tutorial to configure dedicated input actions for specific abilities, so they can be used without need to select them on the abilities wheel:

Regards.

Mark_01, EN_Games and hopeful like this.
  8. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here an option on the AI behavior to jump toward its current target if it is following one to attack (according to its jump force value, which can be customized for mix/max values and based on distance):

I also added an option on the create fire weapons wizard to add directly a weapon prefab template object even if all fire weapons were previously removed from the character this avoids any extra step, as allows to spawn directly a new weapon template on the character and use it as base for the new weapon to make, using the rest of workflow for it:

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  9. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I also added a couple of animator parameter fields to set any animation state on each separated arm:

This is useful to have postures like for example using telekinesis or anything similar, avoiding the need to do something on IK, with just an animator posture layer for one or both arms:

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  10. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I am finishing the last checks and tweaks of the full body awareness, including options to avoid horizontal camera rotation when using the action system, like when using ladders:

And proper adjustments for other action system examples, such as the chair on FBA:

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  11. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I added a check on the crafting system, as it wasn't checking properly the objects crafted with time:

And I added collision detection on FBA, so even if the head is looking up or down out of the main character collider, the head will collide with other surfaces, avoiding clipping:

Rergards.

12. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a view to the FBA with the enter/exit action system on vehicles:

I added an option to avoid the usage of IK on vehicles, so it is handled by a posture animation and also, a steering wheel animation tree based on input :

Regards.

Mark_01, StevenPicard and EN_Games like this.
  13. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I configured an example of the quick mode input system to be called through the ability system, so you can now also assign melee or fire weapon attacks directly on the abilities shortcuts for example too, including also the bow:

This can be also used to set other powers actions or any other mode action. In this case, I assign them to the ability shortcuts (arrow keys by default) in run time, so I just use the right and up arrow key on the above video.

Regards.

14. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here an example of the security cameras using full body awareness, so the player can finally see him self while on first person:

Regards.

StevenPicard and EN_Games like this.
  15. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here an example of the improved movement of generic model system on characters (AI and player) to allow rotation of the generic model on slopes and other inclined surfaces inside a range, for a more realistic effect:

It is also used on the generic models to ride (through the vehicle system but for animals with animations).

Regards.

StevenPicard and EN_Games like this.
  16. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here an example of how the health system allows to set multiple collider surfaces to detect damage on a single character in generic model state in case extra parts are needed:

This was also added for regular humanoid state too:

Collisions in between them are properly ignored, to avoid any push issue.

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  17. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have been doing some more tweaks on the last details of FBA with fire weapons, including sway and head bob:

And the rest of dynamic/procedural movements, including crouch, recoil and jump values on the weapon too:

Regards.

18. hopeful

hopeful

GKC 3.7 is now in the store. Go and get it! :)

sr388 likes this.
  19. rickytsmith

rickytsmith

Have had this kit for some time and decided to try it in a clean empty project. Importing the latest version into Unity 2022.3.5f.. When running demo scenes the 3rd person characters ( all showcase scenes)both player and enemy clip into the ground whenever they change state. They either get stuck or sometimes they pop back out and continue for a while until they change state again and get stuck into the ground at waist level. I have double checked all settings. This is a clean project with all project settings for input and layers imported. In the First person view it seems to be a bit more stable until you zoom out to 3rd person view.
    Ok I went back and re-read the doc - I see there is an animation package required _will give it a try! Not very clear which of the zipped files are required is it just the .zip or all of the .zxx as well , and why is this not included in the asset _ would make life easier.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2023
  20. blacksun666

blacksun666

Check the documentation, you need to download the animation pack from the internet, that should fix everything.

Mark_01, sr388 and hopeful like this.
  21. sr388

sr388

Good news, everyone.

The new update 3.7 is already live on the asset store haha (a little reminder to always make backups of your projects before anything else)

Also, there are new animations added on the examples of the action system and other movements, so I recommend to check the public repository of the asset to get the new animation package (more info on the doc, in the external files section). Here a direct link to the animations package for 3.7:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OG-vcxK_EjaU3uIo7EWbDEbH3dwQZPY_/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for all the kind words, interest and support (especially to all the patreon supporters) while working on this new update, it means a lot for me and really motivates to keep working more in the asset

Time to start with the new update, which will be focused on multiplayer online and VR integration along other elements. Also, if you have already GKC 3.6, you should be able just overwrite the main Scripts folder of GKC if you want to keep any previous element on your project with GKC elements.

But of course, you can also create a new player, which is in most cases, the most recommended way. But VERY IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE TO MAKE A BACKUP EITHER IF YOU OVERWRITE OR IMPORT THE ASSET DIRECTLY

@rickytsmith yes, make sure to import the animations package (remember to close and open unity after that, so all is set automaitcally). You can use the above drive link with the package file.

About the zoom, not sure what you mean, can you tell me more?

Regards.

Mark_01 and rrahim like this.
  22. hopeful

hopeful

Some things are separated out because of rights issues. Like, Mixamo's animations are free, but you're not allowed to distribute them through the UAS as part of your asset, because you don't own them. Likewise, other utilities that are free and compatible with GKC are made easier to access by picking them up as part of the github package.

Mark_01 likes this.
  23. sr388

sr388

@rickytsmith yeah, exactly the above, the link for that animation package file is also always on the public repository and even in a pop up window on GKC which appears the first time that you play any scene of GKC the first time, but it can be easy to miss.

Let me know your results with it, no rush ;)

Regards.

24. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a new video summary for what is new on 3.7 update:

Regards.

EN_Games and hopeful like this.
  25. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I tested a couple of improvements for the system to move rigidbodies inside other rigidbodies, to allow the player to walk inside vehicles, keeping also the rotation for example, for space ships:

This will get more work during next updates, but wanted to make a quick test for a few ideas for it.

Regards.

26. neoshaman

neoshaman

That's a hi level features you are doing now, most people, even in the AAA field, just fake it by having another scene and all sorts of constrain (like cascaded render, wall and definite portal to go through). Notable example are starfield and warframe, exception is star citizen, who is trying to all the hard things at the same time ....

EDIT: also, i'm just one riddle features away from finally making something with GKC, all those years...
    Here is the riddle:
    Imagine you have:

case 1
    - a car A going at 30km/h
    - a car B going at 60km/h 1km behind
    how long for car B to reach car A?

case 2
    - a series of cars A going at 30km/h but spaced at regular interval
    - a car B going at a speed S in between two car A
    For what speed car B reach any car A?

case 3
    - a series of cars A going at 30km/h but spaced at regular interval
    - Car B is not a car, but a frog that can jump over the cars A, with jump of size J
    How many jump before the frog land on a car for any position?

see how I handle it so far there:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/inf...ing-grid-tracing-attempt.593233/#post-9282454

Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
    Mark_01 and sr388 like this.
  27. sr388

sr388

Yeah, it is a tricky element to handle, but I would like to achieve a proper physics management on the characters inside a vehicle or rigidbody, so working to achieve it soon :)

About the riddle, I think my math knowledge is not good enough for it haha. Unity helped me to improve my trigonometry and vector knowledge, along local and global space, so that is handy, but I have been always bad at math.

Regards.

28. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here this summary video of the different usages of the IK system of unity on GKC.

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  29. neoshaman

neoshaman

I mean it as a compliment, like, you are tackling hard problem and offering solution, that's skills that is rare that you are developing. And the fun fact is because this is a generic "Kit", you are encouraged to make it solid and not scripted to sequence of a project. Ie you are doing massive works and I congratulate you for doing it!

PLEASE PARDON ME RAMBLING LOL :oops:

LOL i didn't expected you to solve it, I suspended my whole life and career to solve it, which I wouldn't recommend nor advise to do. Just that so I could find a solution to represent 4c type of hair (like black people afro) cheaply, and i's a problem that only need to solved ONCE, but nobody was tackling it and it's interesting :rolleyes:.

Then I'm not an absolute idiot, just massively partial idiot :p, but if I solve it, it has massive implication, that I won't disclose, in the whole field of rendering ... maybe :eek:, just a slight chance.

Fun fact I'm not good at math either, it's just that I'm stubborn, most of progress I did wasn't with math:
    - but staring at image for hours,
    - find a graphical representation of the solution,
    - translate that into text,
    - then googling for the closest mathematical problem,
    - then ask how to solve that problem lol.

So I got from:
    - tracing an helix, (discovering there is no sin-ray interceptions, not without a for loop approximation, for loop is the goal to avoid)
    - to tracing a tube, (extra: unrolling the tube reveal the helix is a diagonal on the unwrap)
    - to tracing a infinite field of circle,
    - to just tracing a row,
    - then ditching circles for box,
    - found I only needed 3 distinct steps for contact,
    - solved 2 steps as early out (circle-ray contact then ray-box interception)
    - now trying to solve the third step as per the riddle

Still need to solve:
    - the third steps
    - generalizing to 3d interceptions instead of 2d (for anything not extrusion, such as spheres instead of tubes)
    - generalizing to varying parameters as in the primitive (circle in the current example) move and vary by themselves (ie a dead reckoning in wrap space), which basically amount (i hope) to intercepting hashed curves instead of planes.
    - Generalizing to the helix back finally! (remember the extra, a diagonal is infinitely easier to intercept than a sincos, but I need to find the projected trajectory, from the point of view of the surface of the tube) :rolleyes:

Every steps solved so far was trivial math we use everyday in game:
    - modulo and multiplication (grid snapping)
    - dot products (first sphere intersection)
    - fractions! (box interceptions)
    :cool:

I apologize for this explosion of nerdery :oops:

Mark_01 and sr388 like this.
  30. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a changelog of the recent update:

Changelog 3.7

In the meantime, I started the work on 3.8, with an example of the AI able to make a rotating kick on the player, by the shared actions on the action system and called through the ability behavior on the AI:

@neoshaman thanks for the kind words, it is very appreciated :D

And yeah, that was indeed a lot of info haha, wish I could be more useful on that problem.

Regards.

31. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a short summary of the roadmap of GKC for the rest of 3.0:

Update 3.8 (already in process)

-Online multiplayer, flexible to use most common online solutions
    -Selection for single player, coop or online multiplayer menus ingame
    -Customization of the character at the beginning of the game, like in dark souls, fallout, cyberpunk, etc... allowing to set info related to stats, abilities and other values according to the class selected (warrior, wizard, archer, etc...)
    -VR integration
    -Inventory tetris grid managemenet inspired in resident evil 4
    -Main tutorial video for guide, quick start and first steps into any kind of project, including to show character templates for player and AI
    -AI boss examples and resident evil nemesis/mr X AI type examples

Update 3.9
    -Cover system
    -Ability to swap between characters in the game, similar to GTA V
    -More deep combo and special attacks activated by different key combinations,...
    -Ability to move on ledges to left and right while grabbing them
    -Separation of the whole HUD and UI elements of the player prefab, being two separated objects, to make them easier to manage
    -Build system to make structures and interaction objects on scene, like many crafting games
    -Tutorial videos to cover different genres with GKC (and more)
    -Turn based combat, with classic actions or more dynamic, like using timing actions or allow toggle real combat/turn combat in run time

And here a pdf with some of the content organized for 4.0 too:

Roadmap GKC 3.0-4.0

Let me know if there is some missing element ;)

Regards.

StevenPicard, Mark_01 and EN_Games like this.
  32. C0nnectionLost

C0nnectionLost

I just downloaded the latest version of GKC and found some bugs, when I entered the sample scene, whenever I switched to a melee weapon such as an axe, my character would sink into the ground, unable to move, only sound when attacking, no attack animation. Not only that, there is no corresponding animation and behavior when performing interactive actions such as crossing, sliding, and opening doors, which is somewhat different from what I saw in the demo video. My device has a low configuration and uses an intel i5-1135g7 Xe integrated graphics card, I'm not sure if this is due to hardware or a bug in this tool.

33. hopeful

hopeful

You need to follow the full installation directions, downloading the animation pack from Github.

Mark_01 likes this.
  34. sr388

sr388

You need to import this animation package from the public repository of the asset:

https://github.com/sr3888/GKC-Public-Repository

It is better explained in the doc and a pop up on the asset the first time you play any scene. It is a group of animations used on the action system examples and the melee combat, just as placeholder, so you can replace them at any moment. Any animation will work, and these will be assigned automatically.

Once you import the package, close and open unity, and voila, all configured by it self. You can use this alternative link for the animations package if you prefer:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OG-vcxK_EjaU3uIo7EWbDEbH3dwQZPY_/view?usp=sharing

Let me know your results, no rush.

Regards.

Mark_01 and C0nnectionLost like this.
  35. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I extended the quick input mode to allow also a quick selection mode, allowing to configure any list of weapon (fire or melee) or mode and you can use the mouse wheel or any other couple of keys for next and previous to change for the elements on the list:

In this example, I set 3 weapons and the close combat mode, so it will toggle between that list GTA V style, you can see its aspect here, it is very simple:

quick_selection_mode.PNG

Regards.

StevenPicard, Mark_01 and EN_Games like this.
  36. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I added an option on dual weapons to allow to use a single fire button action to fire both weapons at the same time and to allow to use the other fire input to aim both weapons instead:

Regards.

EN_Games and Mark_01 like this.
  37. hopeful

hopeful

@sr388 - How easy / difficult is it to switch away from Unity navmesh to like A* or Hypernav with GKC? Is it a lot of code modification?

sr388 likes this.
  38. sr388

sr388

The main navmesh calculations are made on a single script on the AI, on its AINavmesh component, so the additions would be made on it to extend it to receive the calculations from other navigation system.

I have planned to do with A* and use also that integration to improve some parts of that script in order to make it easier to add any other navigation system.

The current code on it is simple and would be easy to add the functions from other systems to get the path needed to a position and other info.

Haven't had the chance for it yet, but I would like do it between the end of 3.0 and start of 4.0, as I am working now on 3.8 and after that, 3.9 is last one before moving to 4.0 ;)

Regards.

hopeful and Mark_01 like this.
  39. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Configuring shared actions in between AI and player is getting easier, I configured the example of parry counter from AI to player when doing a perfect block. On its melee behavior, it can be set if the AI can check if an attack is being made to it and with a % of success, perform the block to be regular or perfect, inspired on dark souls games:

Any suggestion for more shared actions? (it will be tweaked to match better on animation).

Regards.

40. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have been applying some tweaks and minor adjustments and very minor fixes from feedback of people on the recent update 3.7.

I also added a couple of checks to handle the swim system properly on locked camera, including 2.5d view:

Regards.

41. sr388

sr388

EN_Games, hopeful and Mark_01 like this.
  42. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I improved more elements of the swim system, to allow proper transition in between different swim zones, which can be used to have different surfaces zones, like an underground cave (either on 3d or 2.5d):

Regards.

EN_Games, Mark_01 and hopeful like this.
  43. hopeful

hopeful

That's good. You can swim from an island to an underwater base.

sr388 and Mark_01 like this.
  44. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I tested also the web swing along the swim system, and applied some tweaks to make sure they can be used together, even on the water:

Indeed, the transition of different swim zones is very useful for different water surface positions :D

Regards.

EN_Games, Mark_01 and hopeful like this.
  45. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I configured an example of an object with multiple interaction on it, like a regular object which can be stored on inventory, grabbed or examined:

Any suggestion for more multiple interaction examples?

It can be used for any object, as it is not hardcoded, and you would only need to set a new mesh on it and set the respective inventory object name obtained if stored.

Regards.

Mark_01, EN_Games and neoshaman like this.
  46. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I added an option to configure a list of different aim positions for FBA, along its recoil positions, very customizable and without any extra code so it can be customized in game for any sight through the events on the attachment system for example it will make easier to have different aim positions for the same weapon:

I also fixed the laser attachment system, to update properly its line renderer:

Regards.

47. sr388

sr388

Hi eveyone.

I have improved the FBA in its method to update the camera head position, working better now. That was the last main task pending to complete, so the patch update should be ready in a few days.

In the meantime, I started to work on the turn based combat system structure on my free time and lot of progress has been made:

Any suggestion for the turn based combat?

Regards.

48. hopeful

hopeful

I'm not sure what you would need to know for turn-based combat. I suppose some games would use alternating turns, like maybe a card game, bowling, or billiards, while others would use simultaneous turns. The main idea is to detach input (including new NPC actions) from the Update cycle and collect it based on a timer tick instead. If the player doesn't make an input before the timer elapses, that counts as an idle turn.

The time allowed for a turn should be adjustable. Some games, like chess, or some other strategy game, should allow more time than others.

Turn based input is also how it would work over a network, or in a D&D type game - with game rounds - where everyone has a moment to input their next move, and then on a following tick, they all go into action. So during frame A everyone is in idle while input is made, then in frame B those inputs are exchanged while a second input is made, and in frame C the first input starts rendering while a third input can be collected. So there is a lag of about a frame between when a button is pushed and when action occurs. Timings are kept relatively tight to make this less noticeable, and often inputs are queued so that while one input is executing, the next is being prepared.

Some games, like a racer or simplified shooter might want very short turns, but games with 3D humanoid animation can take longer turns, like maybe a half second, because nearly all humanoid animation takes more than a second. Like, if you were trying to close with an enemy and take a swing, maybe you would hit W to move forward (or W + space bar to jump forward) and then 1 (or whatever) to strike. You wouldn't have to wait for your movement forward to end before queuing the strike, because you've got your sense of timing down and you know how long to hold the movement buttons down before executing your attack. And then for your next attack, assuming you are hitting the same opponent, you tap the 1 again (or whatever), and when the first strike has finished executing, it will begin the second one.

Normally the input queue only stores 1 input while the previous one is executing, so if you type a 1 and then a 2 very fast, the last command input should replace any earlier ones. If you're casting spells, the windup, cast, and FX could take maybe 1-3 seconds, which is plenty of time to change your mind about the next attack, and queue up something different.

Also, if an attack is queued, but it is in cooldown / recharge, the game could beep, indicating an invalid command, and toss the input. If a player is rapidly spamming a button for an attack that hasn't recharged, it will keep beeping (like once every turn / half second) until finally the attack is available for execution.

FWIW, I think in general it's a good idea for a game to count turns, kind of like keeping track of "time since application start," and that sort of thing. It can have applications, if that same turn / frame number is shared across the network, like maybe providing a seed for deterministic random calculations that happen during that turn. (Since everyone is rendering the same turns / frames at the same time, they will all have the same random number generation if the seed is shared.)

Note that in the above when I'm speaking of frames, I don't mean FPS, but rather turns or frames shared over the network.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
    Mark_01 likes this.
  49. Mark_01

Mark_01

Thank you !! I have been waiting for a long time for turn based, one of my favorite games is\was 3do's Mandate of heaven https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Might_and_Magic_VI:_The_Mandate_of_Heaven
    I know there is a couple of videos of that play on you tube. Turn based in there was very easy I guess, when enemies were encountered, you had the option to hit the " Enter key " and the game would go to turn based, meaning no like cells, just where ever they are in the world. During turn based, the skills effect who go's first, Speed mostly determines that, who ever has the fastest speed goes first, then the next and so forth. Thank you for doing this, I am very excited this is coming as an option.

Edit: In some turns and games, the animation time could be ignored, because a turn will consist of a full action of some kind. Also, please put in a setting of " no time limit to act " like in a RPG, single player, even as a team of AI, who join you they could be.. ( helpers, followers, party members " team AI " ) in essence a turn is a full action of some kind based on speed.. both Player with AI helpers\team members and AI enemies.

A second off topic,and very sorry , I can't find this easy... I want to change the pick up, to either, a mouse click with a distance check, so that you have to be within a certain distance to pick up the item, OR you pick it up automatically when you go over the item. I find the E key is good, but it slows down game play.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
    hopeful likes this.
  50. hopeful

hopeful

Yes, that's a good point, that some games wouldn't have time based turns, but would literally wait forever or till timeout / logoff for the player to take their turn. Also, during a turn, the game may wait however long is needed for that turn to complete.

I haven't played Civilization in a billion years, but that would be an example of where turns are very complicated and can take a while to complete.

FWIW, I'm also in favor of using mouse click activations when in range instead of E.

Mark_01 likes this.