Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions by the end of July. Read our announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

[Released] Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.76

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.8%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

30.3%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.0%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

41.9%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.2%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.4%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.8%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.6%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.9%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Good day of progress, I have been also testing the use of the grappling hook with the rail system, so it can be used on that state (both are external movement behaviors, so they can stop a previous one before being activated).

This allows to stop the rail movement and move to a grappling hook point, which has now its own input key when a grappling point is detected, avoiding the need of manually changing to that ability (all can be customized as needed of course):

Haha, yeah, working towards that :D

Regards.

Mark_01 and hopeful like this.
  2. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here another view of the localization system, this time, adding a new language and values for its dictionary through the system:

Here a view of the csv file used to store all the values, on this case, used for the UI elements, as other elements, like inventory info, missions, dialogues, etc...can be managed in separated files, to make easier to manage each text element of the game:

Regards.

Unleaded-Games and Kennth like this.
  3. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Still on WIP but you can see a fully functional character creation at the home menu and sending that info to the new game scene, so the player starts with both, the equipment selected and the blendshapes configured:

I also added a check for the language, so by default the system will take the language of the platform by default if the language setting hasn't been changed manually in the options (I forgot to configure a couple of buttons, but the final version will be tweaked)

Regards.

Kennth and Unleaded-Games like this.
  4. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have added an option on the close combat and the melee system to set the damage detection trigger in front of the character on any attack, allowing to combine it with the option for scale and offset of such trigger:

Regards.

5. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have been testing and improving the transition between different scenes, the main save system, the mission management in between scenes and more. A mission can be now configured with multiple objectives on different scenes, including start the mission in a scene and finish it in another one, with multiple objectives in any number of different scenes:

Regards.

Mark_01, Kennth and hopeful like this.
  6. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have taken a break today to experiment with moving on the classic traversal movement on ropes or small section keeping the balance, similar to psychonatus or tomb raider games. Here some WIP:

Regards.

7. hopeful

hopeful

FWIW, I've contemplating having an "agility" score / mechanic in my game, where agility can be buffed or debuffed. When debuffed, there can be a lot of clumsy behavior. ;)

sr388 likes this.
  8. sr388

sr388

Nice, sounds good, can you tell me more details about how it would be? Like only enabling different traversal movements when the player unlocks them or get it through experience level or similar? Or maybe you mean similar to dark souls, where having too much weight from armor or inventory can make the player slower?

I want to implement both cases, though the first one is already included, as any of the abilities, skills or traversal movements can be disabled and unlock them through the skills/experience system or even as reward from missions and similar. And the second one through the armor/cloth, as it allows to affect stats, unlock skills, increase or affect damage types and resistances, etc....

So both can affect to any value or element/action of the player as needed.

Regards.

Kennth likes this.
  9. hopeful

hopeful

I find that one of the most fun things in a game can be the physical movement of characters.

What I was thinking was having an average agility score for all characters which could be increased so they are better able to keep their balance in challenging situations. Walking on an edge or tightrope - as in your example - would be a test of agility, as would landing safely from a jump or fall, being able to transition smoothly from one parkour move to another, avoiding a slip on a low friction surface, avoiding small obstacles (or tripping), recovery from being pushed or knocked back (reducing ragdoll time by a percentage up to 100%), etc. Getting stunned could debuff agility for a moment. If a character's agility is debuffed severely, they may not even be able to walk, or walk properly, till they recover. A person stunned while on a tightrope, for example, would almost certainly fall, due to the decrease in agility, but the fall would not be automatic, in that if a character has high agility, they might keep their balance even when stunned.

Players, NPCs, and circumstances would have the ability to buff and debuff the agility, making the characters become more adept or more clumsy. It's like entering or exiting "drunk mode." Some games are about trying to function while in permanent drunk mode, but I would have most characters start in an average state. The two primary uses for me would be 1) to cast a spell that makes a person physically behave like they are drunk for a brief while, and 2) to acquire a skill that allows a player to perform acrobatic feats where the average agility is not high enough.

For instance, a way of permitting players to attempt parkour moves would be to have them increase agility. Then when they attempt a move, their agility allows to do it, or gives them a chance to do it successfully depending on the amount of agility they possess. As players level up, a skill they can choose would be to permanently boost agility.

Some games would also use agility to increase the ability to dodge attacks, to hit with melee attacks, and so on.

sr388 and Kennth like this.
  10. Mark_01

Mark_01

So you would basically need a bunch of similar animation, but different
    enough along with player settings to set automatically for controller
    movement. Then it is just getting the "agility" number to know what set of animations to
    play along with controller changes. Sounds like a fair amount of work,
    but in certain games this would work very well. NPC's and enemies could work too.

One problem I had with FFXI was that levelling was killing the same set of mobs over and over again.

So one thought I had years back, was, what if the monsters could learn and level as well ?

11. hopeful

hopeful

I don't think a lot of special animations are needed, just the PuppetMaster plugin, for those who have it. If you don't have it, you don't do any clumsy movement (aside from the "drunk" effect already in GKC), you just do regular movement and employ the mechanic for determining whether to fall or how long to ragdoll when you fail an agility feat.

Here's a link back to a post when the "drunk mode" feature was developed:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/rel...icles-more-3-03-2.351456/page-75#post-5459118

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    Mark_01, Kennth and sr388 like this.
  12. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Related to the traversal movements, a previous one has been improved, the grappling hook, with an option to use swing instead of pull objects or being pulled to a surface point, having a similar control to spiderman games (more tweaks will be added):

@hopeful and @Mark_01 allow me to reply properly to both tomorrow, as my brain is fried due to the work from today and need some sleep haha.

Regards.

Mark_01, Kennth, neoshaman and 3 others like this.
  13. neoshaman

neoshaman

I have been waiting for that one grappling hook, i'm having so much fun in fortnote right now, they added it into the game, and people who fear insta building player that literally turn everything into presto town, well now they can safely counter by climbing that with the grapple swing.

I need to finish my current stuff to play with gkc :(

14. sr388

sr388

Sorry for the time to reply, I think I got either covid or a regular cold, nothing too bad, mostly fever and feeling very tired. I am better now, so I will try to keep working a little and reply messages as well :)

@hopeful @Mark_01 yes, it would be similar to what mark said, either using a set of different animations according to a parameter value on the animator which would be updated by the "agility" stat or similar, so according to that value and the action, or animation or another is used.

The same logic is already used on many parts of the controller, from movement trees, to attacks, traversal movements, etc....

So yeah, I will think some example elements on another update ;)

Haha, glad to hear that, spiderman is one of my favourite games and its movement mechanic is a way to kill a lot of hours just doing that, so I want to improve that kind of traversal movements, actions, and combat as well. So more of that will keep arriving in next updates too :)

Regards.

15. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here another traversal movement example, to climb on ropes or poles very inspired in mario and platform style games (don't worry, the animation aspect will be polished :) ):

Regards.

16. neoshaman

neoshaman

When Vlad Tepes impales you but you don't die and have fun

Kennth and sr388 like this.
  17. hopeful

hopeful

Or fun with zombies on a stick. ;)

sr388 likes this.
  18. sr388

sr388

Hahaha, Alucard approves it. It has options to configure different animations in case of using a different movement tree, either a straight pole or more like a rope climb type.

I want to play with some simple physics rope system, so the player can move on them with this traversal movement and swing as well, achieving something similar to uncharted 4. So the main element is there, now just a matter of some rope moving around.

b3a985fd3b5b0e34b3a2d0251e26c12b.gif

Haha, exactly.

Regards.

StevenPicard likes this.
  19. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

As an extended element of the previous movement, here a new ability example to place straight ropes/poles objects on the scene as you need, so the player can climb up or down to reach any surface:

Regards.

Mark_01, Kennth, EN_Games and 3 others like this.
  20. hopeful

hopeful

Can we set a limit on the length of rope, like 10m?

Can we control the rate of ascent / descent?

On descent, can we have the option to slide? Essentially, I'm thinking that normal characters would descend in a reverse climbing motion, but pros would descend as a slide. Acrobats might descend upside down using just their legs in a twirling motion. :)

Oh ... and a different thing, but related ... what about spider type creatures that descend from a line they are spinning?

Or climbers who set a rope at the ledge they are standing upon, then drop down?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    sr388 likes this.
  21. sr388

sr388

Yes, you can set a custom max distance.

Yes, you can configure the up and down speed and animation for each state.

Currently, the down movement is like slide, and you can use the run button to move or slide faster.
    As for spiders, maybe for another update, but yeah, now that generic support models is available, there will be many more options for both player and AI ;)

And yes, it will allow to put the climb point anywhere to climb up or down. I have something similar to this in mind:

https://twitter.com/glass__revolver/status/1477770097498460164?s=20

Regards.

Kennth and StevenPicard like this.
  22. egem2015

egem2015

Hi Santi

how are you? i hope you are doing well.

i alwaly said to you that you are very talented and good developer and artist.

your asset is great absolutely but i should say that your scenes and gui are complicated.

i think your scenes are not attractive.ok your asset is doing everything but not attractive.

to me , your scenes and gui must be simple. your scenes are occuring in the same environment always.

but please dont take this bad. is this making your asset bad? absolutely not. maybe you are one of the top ten in assetstore.you are doing this with love and ambition. i can see it with your efforts.

i have many assets in assetstore. many assets are not doing half of the your asset but their scenes and guis are more attractive.

please i say again dont take this a bad review.this is just an idea.please make different and simple scenes with more attractive gui.

thanks in advance.

Sincerely King regards.

sr388 likes this.
  23. sr388

sr388

Thanks for the kind words, it is very appreciated and really helps to keep working hard :D

And of course, I am aware than the visual aspect needs to be improved, which I am working on it already, and I want to focus in a few updates in revamping some demo scenes, adding new props and models, new animations and some better icons and design for the HUD elements, so the visual part matches the quality of the asset ;)

I want to find a good 3d artist who can take care of the new models and an animator artist who can work on the animations that I need for previous and new systems and movements too, so I need to search on some web for freelance people (suggestions of people for this is also welcome).

Regards.

Kennth and StevenPicard like this.
  24. hopeful

hopeful

That example seems quite advanced! Be great if you can get something like that.

sr388 likes this.
  25. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have been improving and polishing more stuff, including main managers administration (more about that tomorrow) and many other things.

Also including the climb on poles/straight ropes, as these objects can now move on any direction and the player will move with them along with an option to match rotation toward the closest pole on range, making it easier to move:

Yeah, that is why I have split that whole task into small parts, starting with this new climb straight ropes/poles movement and the ability to place new objects to climb. Next is to get some basic rope (probably made of physics joints), so the player can move along them and add some swing to that state (another reason why I added the improved hook with thet swing). So yeah, each part will do its purpose while also, they can be used separately as the user prefer ;)

Regards.

Mark_01, Kennth, EN_Games and 2 others like this.
  26. Ultrapp

Ultrapp

Hello, is it possible to configure mechanics like those of Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks....?
    Subzero (Freeze) Scorpion (Spear)

27. sr388

sr388

Hi, in what meaning, to use like spells or similar, or just the part to create actions that are played sharing an animation with the other character, like a finishing move to kill the other?

In that case, there is an action system which allows to play animations shared for both characters and there is an ability system which allows to configure any type of ability triggering also sounds, particles, effects, and an animation with it.

Let me know if this is what you mean or something else, to see it better, no rush of course ;)

Regards.

Ultrapp likes this.
  28. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have added an improved option for the inventory objects which can be equipped, so they can activate remote events on the player for when the object is equipped and unequipped.

On this example, the object activates the traversal movement to climb on poles/straight ropes, so if the object is not equipped, the action can't be used and if unequipped, if the player was using that action, it will be disabled, falling from the current object where is climbing:

Regards.

EN_Games, Mark_01, Kennth and 2 others like this.
  29. Ultrapp

Ultrapp

Hello!
    I am referring especially to the skills... freeze an enemy for a moment and then hit him (with the corresponding effect of freezing the enemy)...
    And also use the harpoon to hook the enemy from afar and bring him and make him stunned and then hit him.
    That's right, no rush, thanks!

sr388 likes this.
  30. sr388

sr388

Yes, there is a hook system which allows to attract objects and enemies with it.

Also, damage or abilities can activate effects, such as fire, poison, sedative, etc... activated by any type of element which applies damage, including close combat system:

And activate frozen or slow down states as well:

Regards.

Kennth likes this.
  31. hopeful

hopeful

So this kind of approach seems to facilitate the potential use of charges for power? Like if you had 10 of these "permission slips" to use your laser beam, and one charge was burned every time you used the power. Or something like that.

sr388 likes this.
  32. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have improved the main managers workflow, including the main inventory info, so these managers are linked to the prefab when placed on scene. That allows to update its info in a single scene and those changes are extended to the rest of scenes as well in a single click, so that has been very improved for the new update.

Do you add or modify something on the main managers? Press a single button to update the prefabs and boom, all info update across all the project:

In next updates, I will work on adding an interface for the main managers similar to this type of wizards, to make the organization even better:

Yes, limited used of it could be included, so the object activates the ability once and when the action has been done once, you need to use another consumable or similar for it. It is interesting and most elements are already on the asset for it. I will think a good way to configure it if needed ;)

Regards.

EN_Games, Mark_01, Kennth and 2 others like this.
  33. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here some progress on the dual wield melee weapons, allowing to configure all the settings of each weapon damage info separately and easily, along each mesh on each hand and its carrying position:

Regards.

Kennth, Mark_01, EN_Games and 2 others like this.
  34. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

As asked by an user, I wanted to check if root motion attack option was already included on the close combat system and I can confirm it, allowing to set attacks which displace the character of place and keep that position once finished:

I have improved a couple of elements about the damage options for the close combat system too for the new update:

Regards.

Mark_01, EN_Games and hopeful like this.
  35. neoshaman

neoshaman

I wonder how people in your country heared the snes sample of the tatsu maki sempo kyaku, you know, ken and ryu cylone move, here it was "tat tat set booloo ket"

sr388 likes this.
  36. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Very productive day with many tasks complete. Now that dual wield melee weapons is complete, I tested with two lightsabers, here some results:

I think it is the same, since those games are not dubbed to other languages besides english and maybe japanese if I remember properly, but yeah, that movement reminds me to the rotating kick attack of Ryu haha.

Regards.

Mark_01, StevenPicard and EN_Games like this.
  37. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

The max payne time bullet mechanic has some improvements, including transitions on the animations and adjustments, here some more mayhem:

Regards.

38. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have made a tutorial video to configure an action system in fixed places of the scene, such as opening a chest, a door, pressing a button, jump an obstacle, etc...

Regards.

39. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have also configured an example of arrow type which can place straight ropes on the scene where it impacts:

Regards.

neoshaman, StevenPicard and EN_Games like this.
  40. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

Man, after all these years, I'm still amazed by the steady progress of this asset.

I've recently become obsessed with games like ArmA and Ghost Recon researching what makes great 3rd person shooter content. I realized how solid GKC is as a shooter but it really needs a crouch and prone shooting position to really shine. Any advise on how to add this myself would be very welcome.

Great work as always!

sr388 likes this.
  41. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Another good day of work with many tasks and checks complete. In the meantime, I configured an example of an arrow type which allows to place grappling hook points, increasing the movement possibilities and mechanics a lot:

Thanks, very appreciated to hear that :D And yes, it is planned to add that kind of movements, in a near update, probably after the next one after the upcoming 3.03-3, as that will be focused on online multiplayer, crafting, VR and other elements.

I want to get some proper animations for those states, and add the needed configuration on the animator and the weapon management to use them.

Regards.

42. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here an example of a bow type which can fire any number of arrows at the same time, like for example, three:

Regards.

43. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here an example of a simple cutscene activated by an action system (triggered when the open chest action is finished), to move the camera around, enable an AI on the scene and return the control back to the player:

This example will be included on the new update, along some others :)

Regards.

Kennth, Mark_01, EN_Games and 2 others like this.
  44. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have checked the integration of both NWH cars and water vehicles, with a tutorial video for water physics as well also, I have tried Silantro Flight Simulator Toolkit with the general drive system of GKC:

Also, I made a new tutorial to configure it, so you can use any of its vehicle controllers with the same steps:

Regards.

Kennth, Mark_01, EN_Games and 3 others like this.
  45. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here another tutorial with the general drive/ride system to use the Dynamic Water Physics:

Btw, the new update is close to be complete, I want to have a beta ready in about a week, so any user can try the new elements and get some feedback from it. I will tell more in a few days.

Also, I will make a changelog with the most important elements of this update and what is planned for the next one, as the main element for it will be the online multiplayer along other stuff :)

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  46. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Inspired by the wonderful Sifu game, I configured an example of breaking furniture to get improvised melee weapons, like a stick:

Regards.

Kennth, Mark_01, hopeful and 2 others like this.
  47. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here the new option on the bow to allow to fire arrows without need to aim (in the video, I shot arrows in both ways, by aiming and with free view):

Regards.

Mark_01, StevenPicard and EN_Games like this.
  48. al3d

al3d

Hi sorry if my english is not perfect Im french
    I'm really interested by your template because I want to make a max payne like, I have a question for the bullet time is it possible to have a bar that indicate the bullet time limit like in max payne ?
    Also in unity can we adjust the length of the player jump ? Thanks

sr388 likes this.
  49. sr388

sr388

Hi @al3d. Thanks for your interest in the asset, it is appreciated :)

About your question, there is an option to disable the bullet time action after x time once activated, there is not an option to show a bar with the remain time, but I can put that on the todo list, as it is an useful element and would be easy to include.

And yes, you can adjust the jump forces for the regular jump and for the time bullet jump as well, I have been doing improvements on this mechanic and more are planned for next updates too.

The max payne bullet time mechanic will arrive in the upcoming update, which I want to have ready in about a couple of weeks. A beta will be ready soon, so any user of GKC can give a try and give any feedback they consider for adjustments and tweaks :)

Let me know what you think and if you need any further info ;)

Regards.

50. al3d

al3d

Thanks for your answer if you can add the bullet time bar in the todo list it's could be awesome, I will bought your template soon I can't wait to test your max payne mechanic.

sr388 likes this.