Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions by the end of July. Read our announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

[Released] Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.76

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.8%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

30.3%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.0%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

41.9%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.2%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.4%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.8%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.6%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.9%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here another example with the reduced animation frames, for player and AI (ignore the damage, there is an option to adjust the damage trigger in front of characters that I will show on another clip):

Regards.

Mark_01 and EN_Games like this.
  2. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

The new patch update is almost ready, need to finish just a few minor tasks.

In the meantime, I made a showcase video for all the recent improvements on 2.5d mode, for vehicles, actions, traversal movements, AI, weapons and more:

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  3. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I tested the ladders on 2.5d, to make sure they work properly on that view:

And here an example of the ziplines working properly on 2.5d too:

Any suggestion for PARKOUR!/traversal/platformer movements on 2.5d (or 3d as well)?

Regards.

StevenPicard and EN_Games like this.
  4. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I added a check on the hook system used for the spider swing to be usable on 2.5d (I already added a couple of tweaks after this video):

The regular grapping hook system will have an aim reticle option on another update to allow an easy aim on 2.5d view as well.

Btw, just a reminder that GKC is 50% OFF during the Spring Sale on the store.

Regards.

StevenPicard, EN_Games and Mark_01 like this.
  5. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I made a couple of improvements on the explosion damage options, allowing to check for closest weak spot on a character, so it can trigger custom events or actions if such body part is located:

Here I show an explosive barrel close to different body parts (the last one has only the head as weak spot).

Regards.

EN_Games and Mark_01 like this.
  6. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I am making the new 2.5d demo scene. In the meantime, here some action system interaction elements on 2.5d:

They work out of the box, as they can be dropped on scene, just make sure to align it on the forward axis (view into the screen direction) with the player's position.

Regards.

Mark_01, EN_Games and blacksun666 like this.
  7. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Adjusting the stuff on the new 2.5d demo scene here an example of the wall slide jump traversal movement on that view:

Btw, unity 6 was just released, I tested GKC with it and works without problems, of course, if you test it, make sure to make a backup first. Though for working on projects, it is better to wait for LTS versions if you want to upgrade.

https://blog.unity.com/engine-platform/unity-6-preview-release

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  8. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I added an improvement on the climb system to detect better those surfaces which must be avoided from being climbed or to avoid the player from moving towards them:

Regards.

9. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I improved the character creator templates which allows to have preconfigured styles of the player and its main systems in one click. Like have it focused on melee, or fire weapons, or basic with most element and UI disabled by default and more.

And the main setting list with all the main options for the main systems make very easy to customize it at any point in a single place, so this will boost the workflow even more:

1.png

2.png

I will make a tutorial for this right after sending the new update to the store, which I am finishing a new 2.5d demo scene.

Any suggestion for these preconfigured templates to include?
    Regards.

Last edited: May 18, 2024
  10. sr388

sr388

Good news, everyone.

The new update 3.76 is already live on the asset store!

Also, there are new animations added on the examples of the action system and other movements, so I recommend to check the public repository of the asset to get the new animation package (remember to close and open unity once imported).

Also, if you have already GKC any of the 3.7 versions, you should be able just overwrite the main Scripts folder of GKC if you want to keep any previous element on your project with GKC elements. But of course, you can also import all the content and create a new player, which is in most cases, the most recommended way.

Thanks for all the kind words, interest, feedback and support, while working on this new update, it means a lot for me and really motivates to keep working more in the asset

VERY IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE TO MAKE A BACKUP EITHER IF YOU OVERWRITE OR IMPORT THE ASSET DIRECTLY

Here a direct link to the animations package for 3.76
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IJy4CiRyDH_P3mFOycdk2iCDTl8BugNd/view?usp=sharing

Time to resume the work focused on multiplayer online and VR integration along other elements for 3.8

ezgif.com-added-text (1).gif

Regards.

CachedAF, EN_Games, Mark_01 and 2 others like this.
  11. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I added a tool to remove easily all info of any inventory object, including the info on player and AI for example for a weapon, if that object is either a melee or fire weapon:

Any suggestion for any other interesting or useful tool/wizard to improve the workflow?

Regards.

CachedAF, EN_Games and Mark_01 like this.
  12. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

On the recent release, I also added an option to jump from ladders on 3d or 2.5d as well (or any other locked camera):

Regards.

Mark_01 and EN_Games like this.
  13. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I also improved all the elements to aim and throw stuff on locked camera, either 3d or 2.5d, including the aim reticle and the player body IK active to show visually where is aiming:

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  14. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

In some free time, I tested a small element idea that I got to make body parts to shake dynamically from damage received, similar to what some hack n slash games do, like bayonetta:

Regards.

Mark_01, EN_Games and CachedAF like this.
  15. sr388

sr388

Good news, everyone.

I am happy to announce that Game Kit Controller is 50% OFF during the Template Toolkit Sale on the asset store!

I have been doing some minor fixes and adjustments from the recent update and feedback of people. And some improvement here and there, including an option to use throw animation when throwing a grabbed physical object, with 1 or 2 hands:

Regards.

16. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I added an option on the throw objects to allow to trigger a posture on any of the arms by animation on the arms animator layer, for an easy setup:

So this allows to rise the arm while aiming to throw an object, like a grenade, a molotov, a stone, etc...

Regards.

17. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I want to organize more the elements for this new update, so will post more about the roadmap asap.

In the meantime, here a test to have vehicles falling and sinking into the water inspired in GTA games:

Regards.

EN_Games, hopeful and Mark_01 like this.
  18. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here another look at the throw vehicle to water:

Regards.

EN_Games, Mark_01 and hopeful like this.
  19. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I configured an example prefab to use the vendor menu through a dialog, to have the option to open or not through the selected option on the dialog:

It can of course set on a NPC, instead of being a chest.

I also recorded an example of the slice system just for fun:

Regards.

20. blacksun666

blacksun666

how's the work coming along on network multiplay and VR?

sr388 and Mark_01 like this.
  21. sr388

sr388

Good, I have been doing some preparations, along with improvements tweaks and minor fixes from the feedback of people on the recent update released a few days ago.

So the work on the online will be started asap inside this current main update, as soon as there is visible progress, I will tell about it. Same for VR.

I will also keep working on the online doc to add more content and cover more elements along doing new tutorial videos during this update.

Regards.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2024
    blacksun666 and Mark_01 like this.
  22. sr388

sr388

HI everyone.

I improved the AI navigation when they follow a target to attack, so they can surround the same target better:

The dynamic obstacle detection was ignored when following a target to attack, but now, it is active by default on that state too as option. In this example, they attack on turns, similar to arkham games.

Regards.

23. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I improved the ring accessories through the armor/cloth system, and set 3 examples, for increased health, invincibility and to enable an ability while wearing it:

It is an example of the gravity boots ability activated by an inventory object equipped and when removed, it disables that ability directly.

I improved a couple of elements of inventory objects unlocking and activating abilities while equipped and to disable and lock them again if unequipped. So the abilities can be linked to wearing certain inventory objects.

Regards.

24. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I did a couple of improvements on the health system, related to the options available on body parts damage detection and the option to trigger different events on it. Like this example to make zombies crawl if any of its legs are destroyed, toggling its movement and attacks on that state:

Any similar examples which could be interesting to configure?

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  25. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a look on the improved accessories elements on the player through the armor/cloth system, allowing to spawn meshes in real time and use the mount point system, to set in what body part is set, even on fingers:

Regards.

EN_Games, blacksun666 and hopeful like this.
  26. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here another example of more damageable parts for the AI, like not killing it when arms are damaged, avoiding they can apply damage from a destroyed arm:

I will make an example of make them drop a fire weapon if an arm is destroyed, so it can change to fire or melee weapons for example.

Any other suggestion for changing AI state or attack mode from damaged body parts?

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  27. hopeful

hopeful

What if hands can grab the player character? Like, grabbing onto an ankle and causing encumbrance? You'd need a rule for breaking the grip. This is a basic difference between fiction and games, in that in fiction the zombies overwhelm by grabbing you, tripping you up, and dragging you down. Also, maybe a rule that a damaged zombie becomes inert after a while, or if the player is far enough away, or perhaps it is a calculation based on the number of zombies, such that you'll always have at least one zombie crawling after you, so long as you're within range.

Not sure if that's what you were looking for, but there you go. :)

sr388 likes this.
  28. sr388

sr388

Yes, I would like to configure that kind of actions for AI grabbing your or any other AI character for biting or shared actions.

I have planned a new shared action system to configure easily shared action systems based on animations, to have 2 characters playing 2 animations together, like grabbing, or a special attack, etc...

This system is already in place, through the current action system, but this will be a tool to make easy and quick to configure this kind of combined actions between two characters, where and when to trigger and which character plays each side.

Along with this, there will be a behavior action to have easy pieces to connect and customize for tasks on the AI. I will talk more about that later, as both elements are planned for 3.9.

Regards.

29. hopeful

hopeful

GKC's "disarm" attack could be part of the "break grip" rules for a zombie grabbing you.

sr388 likes this.
  30. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I used the action system to configure an example prefab to plant a seed and get an object to pick from it. It can be also reused, as the interaction can be reactivated after a wait time, to plant and pick again:

Any suggestion to tweak this or add some element/condition or more similar example prefabs to configure?

You mean to make the break grip animation to also make a zombie body part to fall off? Or something else?

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  31. hopeful

hopeful

Not making a body part fall off. I was thinking that the ability to disarm a weapon (and whatever bonuses a person might have for that in a game) would appear to apply to a zombie grabbing your ankle, as in both cases you're breaking their grip on an object.

As for animations, I'd assume it's also possible for a person to have a magic attack that disarms. An example in Harry Potter would be "Expelliarmus!" (That's the disarming charm.) So of course while there could be a default animation for physically disarming for demo purposes, hopefully there's room for customization in that area, so there could be a magic gesture of some sort that accomplishes the same result.

Of course, there is kind of a sliding scale on how similar breaking free of a hold is to disarming a person. Should a disarm attack break all manners of physically gripping and holding a person? IDK. Maybe? But if we limit the scope of the hold to a hand grasp, and we already have disarm in the kit (which we do), then it seems sensible.

BTW, just curious, is it possible to pick up a zombie's fallen body part? Like, pick up their arm or leg that is lying on the ground? And throw it? No particular reason, it's just the kind of thing I think of. Maybe for a game you need to collect the parts into a pile and set them on fire or something. IDK. Or collect the parts and re-animate the zombie. Or maybe your NPC zombie is a skeleton, and what it looks like is you collecting their bones to make a pile, or to re-animate.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2024 at 5:51 PM
    sr388 likes this.
  32. sr388

sr388

Do you mean this?

Allow me to reply with more detail tomorrow about the rest ;)

Regards.

hopeful likes this.
  33. hopeful

hopeful

A few hours after I wrote the above, I was wondering if maybe we already had the ability to pick up a dismembered limb and use it as a club. :rolleyes:

Now I'm starting to think we can probably pick up a zombie limb, and not only swing it at them, but even throw it at them and have it return to our hand. :eek:

I don't know if we can really do that, but it's funny how these things can add together.

sr388 likes this.
  34. sr388

sr388

@hopeful about disarm, there is an example on the default AI, which allows to make them drop their fire or melee weapon if they get damage on a specific body part, in this case, the arms.

It is configured on the health component, on the weak spot, on the lower arms.

So if the character gets damage there, it can make them drop their weapon and change to another, and if all weapons are lost, to change to the close combat as attack mode.

Let me know if you meant that.

And the body parts that an enemy can drop could be set to instead of spawn a regular object with physics, you could make a melee weapon with that mesh, so what is dropped could be used as melee weapon.

In this example, I make this object to spawn a melee weapon, the stick, when the furniture is broken:

Regards.

hopeful likes this.
  35. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I made a couple of improvements on AI to properly disable the state for fire weapons, melee weapons and other powers if body parts are destroyed, like arms:

Regards.

hopeful likes this.