Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions by the end of July. Read our announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

[Released] Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.76

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.8%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

30.3%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.0%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

41.9%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.2%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.4%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.8%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.6%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.9%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sr388

sr388

Thanks in advance for it, it really helps :)

And yeah, I just put that option on the todo list for this update. Looking forward for your work with the asset. I will put a changelog of the new update in the next couple of days.

Regards.

retired_unity_saga and al3d like this.
  2. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have been improving some previous elements, along adding some options, including a better climb ledge system on different gravity directions, a parachute and remote events to the grappling hook, allowing actions like pushing enemies when being attracted to them, similar to just cause games:

Regards

Mark_01, MorpheusXI, Kennth and 2 others like this.
  3. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Good day of progress, I have also configured a new mode for the AI, kind of citizen or random pedestrian, moving around without following the player or attacking other characters, and if they get damage, the run away from the attacker, similar to most open world games:

For fun, I also made a simple script to play sounds from a list by name or randomly, like a scream on damage. This is neutral AI, so they can both run away or attack its attacker instead if provoked.

Regards.

MorpheusXI, Kennth, Mark_01 and 5 others like this.
  4. Unleaded-Games

Unleaded-Games

Love it, would it be possible to say hit one with a car and they ragdoll and get back up or possibly jump out of the way like in the old midtown madness games?

sr388 likes this.
  5. sr388

sr388

Thanks, very appreciated to hear that :)

And yes, when characters are hit with vehicles they can receive a remote event, to either kill them or enter in ragdoll mode (dying will also activate that state) and in ragdoll mode, if they are not dead, they will get up again.

I want to add also the detection of objects on scene, such as vehicles at high speed, so they try to jump out of the way. In future updates, there will be more of this options for AI ;)

Regards.

6. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have been improving the navigation on the AI, with an option to jump in between navmesh off links, so the AI can avoid gap obstacles and reach their target more easily:

The AI will also adjust its jump power according to the jump distance (this was added after doing this video).

Regards.

Kennth, MorpheusXI and EN_Games like this.
  7. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Another good day of progress. I have added an option on the device string action to show a new type of interaction panel from the possible list that can be configured, including now options to show an icon image and a description of the object, similar to survival games for example:

This can be customized separately on each element to interact, not only pickup, but devices, buttons, computers, vehicles, and any that shows the regular interaction panel info.

Regards.

8. neoshaman

neoshaman

About the straight grappling, consider adding an option for lerping (ie constant time) other moving at constant speed, possibly able to mix mid movement (ie far -> lerping, close -> speed)

And neutral NPC should also react to "threat" not just hit (ie on radius + visibility, when you point a weapon), ideally the system would allow level of threat:
    0. no weapon, act normal
    1. weapon is out, show concern, shout at you
    2. weapon is pointed, show worry, back down, intimidation, shout at you
    3. shoot fired, take distance, cover, escape, get to authority, tackles you
    4. someone is shot hurt, etc ...
    5. someone is dead, etc ...

Can probably be generalized to a NPC reaction system like in yandere simulator (or example with funny cloth, people mocks you, like in Bully).

Kennth and sr388 like this.
  9. sr388

sr388

Not sure about what you mean for the straight grappling, can you tell me more?

And about NPC, of course, it is planned to add many more reactions and actions for the AI depending on your actions around it, taking inspiration of how most open world games with crowds and pedestrian moving across the city and doing different tasks and similar, with options to customize their path, actions in between, etc... ;) Interesting that is now when cyberpunk 2077 is adding all these types of actions and elements on the AI haha, good to see it.

I will take a look at those videos too, thanks for the suggestions like always.

Regards

Mark_01, neoshaman and Unleaded-Games like this.
  10. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here another test using the push objects on the grappling hook along with the new interaction panel example to show an icon texture and/or descriptions of the object to use, similar to PUBG for example:

Regards.

11. neoshaman

neoshaman

The warp movement in your video above (grappling hook)
    Lerp (ie define how many step) vs movement like now, ie if the enemy is far, it takes the same time (x number of steps) instead of more time the further it is (with obviously, an option to disable based on distance, or just not detect stuff past a distance close or far).

12. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Inspired by the recent improvements on cyberpunk 2077, I added an option on the noise detection on the AI to configure a scriptable object into, allowing to trigger reactions based on the type of noise, such as running away when hearing a fire weapon shoot (loud sound alert):

Currently, there is a speed value which is used to divide the distance of the travel, so right now, it depends of that distance, but an option to use just the speed it self could be added, so it is always the same value.

Regards.

MorpheusXI, Kennth, Mark_01 and 3 others like this.
  13. sr388

sr388

Good news everyone!

The beta of the new update 3.03-3 is ready, so any person who has the asset and wants to give a try, send me a PM for it. It includes all shown so far in the previous posts and videos. I will make a changelog on a couple of days for it.

Here another look at the option to show extra info of the objects to interact (doors, vehicles, pickups, devices, etc...) along the localization system, updating that info in real time and even if the panel info is active:

Regards.

Kennth, Mark_01, EN_Games and 2 others like this.
  14. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here the improved auto block option on the AI for the melee combat, as it can check the state of the other character and block the attacks, cancelling other actions:

There is a % option to set the probability of activating the auto block, so the difficulty to beat that AI can be set and even increased over time or from being damaged.

Regards.

MorpheusXI, Kennth, Mark_01 and 2 others like this.
  15. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Good day of progress, I configured also an example of a ladder that can be unlocked once the top part is reached, similar to games like dark souls:

Also, I added an option to allow full movement while using the bow, using separated animations of movement and bow in lower and upper body:

Regards.

16. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have improved the character creator, allowing to set the bones of the new model manually in case any of the bones are not recognized automatically by the getBoneTransform function, so it can be set directly on the creator wizard and have the new character ready to go:

It is for both AI and player, like previously, avoiding the need of using the manual character creator, which of course, can be used too.

Regards.

17. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here another test of the pedestrian AI type, for both running away or attacking the player when firing weapons or getting damage from him:

You can see here the option on the character creator which includes now both templates options for this type of AI:

Regards

MorpheusXI and EN_Games like this.
  18. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have configured a new dodge/dash example, this time, with just movement, similar to a dash, allowing to set how much distance the character will move and checking for obstacles (it has been tweaked and polished since I made this clip):

I have also added an option on the melee weapons to deflect projectiles and arrows, similar to games like hyper light drifter or ghost of tsushima, I will show that tomorrow.

Regards.

19. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here the new option on the melee weapons to deflect projectiles/arrows, with settings for a max angle between projectile and player, to return it to the attacker or just deflect it in reverse direction:

I will show some better examples with more AI at the same time and other weapons.

Regards.

MorpheusXI, Mark_01 and EN_Games like this.
  20. neoshaman

neoshaman

Ok just make a light saber deflects by holding block.

sr388 likes this.
  21. sr388

sr388

Haha, you know I would do it :D

Here a better view of the tweaked dash actions along the deflect projectiles on block, inspired by games like jedi knights or hyper light drifter:

And another example of weapon, to fire kind of lasers similar to star wars, for a more jedi style games with blocking or deflecting projectiles haha:

Regards.

22. neoshaman

neoshaman

Unlimited power when? :D

23. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here an example of the parachute, I configured an ability to use it through the current paraglider action, but instead of holding a key to use it, it can be toggled. So you open or close it, like just cause also, it uses a separated paraglider component, so it can use different control values for gravity, air forces, control, etc....

Do you mean to throw lighting? It would be interesting indeed haha.

power-unlimited-power.gif

Regards.

24. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I added an option on the close combat to use stamina and set a new stamina state for it, so it can disable that attack input if the stamina is empty (this can be disabled or removed of course):

Also, I added an option on the deflect projectiles to use a max time to deflect it with block, so for example, the deflect will be made only during a second after activating the block:

Regards.

MorpheusXI, Kennth, Mark_01 and 4 others like this.
  25. sr388

sr388

26. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have improved the traversal movements, with options similar to the action system to pause/resume input categories and to keep melee or fire weapons on that state, so certain actions can be disabled or paused while climbing ropes, or sliding, or walking on balance, etc...

Regards.

MorpheusXI, Kennth, Mark_01 and 3 others like this.
  27. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have been doing some more adjustments to use attacks for the close combat and melee combat on air (thinking also in hack n slash elements).

In the meantime, I am also adding the draw/sheathe action on melee and fire weapons, allowing to move while that animation is played and configure custom actions for each weapon:

Regards.

28. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here more on the draw/holster animation action for melee weapons, showing transitions between weapons:

Regards.

29. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I added all the checks for the close combat to use attacks on air, so you can use them if falling, jumping or flying:

I am going to configure animations inspired in dragon ball for the air attacks and show the melee combat hack n slash style in the next days too.

Regards.

30. aaaaabbbbb

aaaaabbbbb

Hi Santi again,

how are you ? i hope you are doing fine.

i have been following you with amazed eyes Because you always put great new features into this great asset.

thanks.

i want to ask a question.

can i have a dinasour as an enemy in your asset? if yes, how?Dinasour will patrol and if we get close to it, attack to us.

thanks in advance.

Sincerely King Regards.

sr388 likes this.
  31. Lazy_Eight

Lazy_Eight

Hey hey,

Bit of a silly question but I haven't been able to find it - Have you added an inspector element for tweaking the 'vault' mechanics. I ask because there seems to be a hard coded minor freeze in the animation once the player has vaulted. Just wanted to take that down a bit so I could sub in my own animations a little easier.

Summary - Does the vault system fall under any of the headings in the 'Player Action System' child or any of the other children in the hierarchy view?

Could be i'm scrolling right past it but I thought to ask, to maybe narrow it down a bit.

Thanks.

sr388 likes this.
  32. neoshaman

neoshaman

I recommand the dbz tenkaichi 2 on wii as a template for the system

sr388 likes this.
  33. sr388

sr388

Hi @aaaaabbbbb.

Thanks for the kind words and interest in the asset, it is very appreciated :D

And yes, generic models compatibility was added in the previous update made in the asset, which is the current version of the asset in the store.

So generic models can be used on both player and AI, for animals, monsters, robots, and anything with a non humanoid skeleton. You can see the process here, it is the same for AI or player, on the video I do the process with the player, but if you want to use it for an AI, drop the AI on the scene, and select it on the hierarchy instead of the player, and open the generic model creator wizard, to configure the new model to use.

By default, the AI can be either friend or enemy, so just like the humanoid, they can be neutral, follow the player as friend and attack enemies or be enemy and attack the player and other friendly AI.

Also, on AI, they has all the elements of the regular AI on generic model state, including wandering around, patrol, damage reaction, attack by close combat, etc...

Let me know your results with it ;)

Don't worry for asking, never a silly question, as it is totally understandable to have some doubt :)

I think you mean the action system, since the parkour/traversal actions/jump over obstacles and others are managed through the action system to configure actions based on animations, which you can see here:

For examples with a fixed place of the scene to play them or at any moment through input or events. From what I understand, you mean that your player stays a certain amount of time without moving in place after doing an action, is that?

If that is the case, maybe you set a higher duration of the action on the action system info, or the speed of the animation is higher on the animator or lower on the action system info, so make sure both duration and speed of the animation match the values of the animator for that animation.

Let me know if that is the case or something else ;)

Oh, I see, with so many dragon ball games, is hard to think of the best example for it haha. I think what I played more was one of PS2, but can't remember which one.

Can't wait to make some tests of this air combat on local multiplayer and see it working on the online system once it is started, which is very planned for the next update, as the current one is very close to be finished :D

Regards.

34. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I made a new tutorial video to create new melee weapons and use the adjustment tool to place the weapons as needed on the character's hand:

Regards.

35. Lazy_Eight

Lazy_Eight

Thanks very much good Sir!

sr388 likes this.
  36. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here some more progress on the air close combat inspired in dragon ball style, more tweaks will be made to it:

Glad to help :)

Regards.

MorpheusXI, Kennth, neoshaman and 2 others like this.
  37. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I added another ability example, to carry a single object (using the grab objects system), including a throw animation and camera shake, inspired in Control game:

Regards.

38. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a look at the WIP for the draw/holster animations option on fire weapons, allowing to set custom animations for both actions on each weapon (or use the quick draw or the IK for it if the user prefers that way):

Regards.

39. neoshaman

neoshaman

Adapting the already programmed move toward DBZ flight would be interesting too, can it be done already?
    For example
    - lock on, and can lock on visual look like the dbz game (assuming screen divided in third, character on the side in between third, target on the other side)?
    - dodge, ascending descending
    - dragon dash and homing (like the straight grapple but end at a set distance, and curve on the side for effect)
    - block
    - deflect (like the light saber)

what about energy wave, smash attack, clash, energy clash, grab? do you have homing projectile (i don't remember)?

Also
    Force grip
    force slam
    force pummel
    I think you already have force push

40. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I improved the action system to allow its use on first person, without the change to third person, so it is full made on first person view, like throwing grenades and more:

Yes, I have planned to add most if not all the elements you said for the air combat, as the abilities and powers wich are already present on the asset can be used on air as well, so it will allow to use all these actions. I will take a look at it as there was some elements in your post that gave me more ideas too or wasn't already planned but will be useful too ;)

Regards.

41. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here another view of the draw/holster animation examples with transitions between melee and fire weapons:

Regards.

42. blacksun666

blacksun666

Is there anyway, or planned to be a way to have the players hands and arms be in view when using abilities first person? In third person view there is a casting type animation that should show up in first person. Similar to how you can see your arms holding a gun?

43. sr388

sr388

Hi @blacksun666.

Sorry for the time to reply, I went to sleep a few minutes before your message.

Yes, it is planned to add that, as it is part of the full body awareness, which I want to work during the next couple of updates after finishing the upcoming one, which is very close to be complete.

In the current update of the asset in the store, the action system (which is used on some abilities examples, though it is not mandatory to use, as it is used for the visual part, to play animations on the character) has an option to change the view of the camera to third person during the action and return to first person.

This has been extended for the upcoming update, so the action system can be used on abilities on first person, allowing to make all these actions in that view without automatic change of view.

And for the next update, the full body awareness will be added, not only for abilities or action system, but for the full person view, allowing to see character's body on first person, similar to games like mirror's edge.

Also, a cool thing added on this new update is that the AI can also use the ability system too (it was a matter of configure it to them, as player and AI use the same components to work), allowing to activate actions like throwing grenades, make magic spells, push objects, throw fire, activate heal areas, resurrect other AI and any other ability, including the examples on the player out of the box for the AI.

This is an extended AI behavior, which also works along the current attack mode on the AI, so even when using fire weapons, melee, close combat or powers, the AI can use abilities in random ranges of time. I will show more of this during the rest of the week D:

Regards.

Mark_01, Kennth, MorpheusXI and 3 others like this.
  44. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here an example of a damage area effect with spikes which can trigger the damage reaction system too, pushing the player back for example:

And here an example of an ability which allows to pause fully the AI around, including movement, actions and animations:

Regards.

Mark_01, Kennth, MorpheusXI and 2 others like this.
  45. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have added the extra functions to allow to throw grenades attached to the player if some enemy throws it, showing a panel info to tell about the available action (that won't use a grenade from inventory but the actual grenade attached on the player):

Regards.

46. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Good day of progress, many tasks complete, including more options on the abilities for the AI to change between a list of different abilities at runtime in random range values of time (all configurable):

Regards.

47. sr388

sr388

Good news everyone.

I am happy to announce that Game Kit Controller will be 50% OFF during the Spring Sale. Here a silly video for it :D

rebajas.png

Regards.

MorpheusXI, StevenPicard and EN_Games like this.
  48. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here another video showing how to configure the initial melee weapon on both player and AI:

Regards.

49. gage_wolf

gage_wolf

Hi, I just purchased this asset. Before I get too deep into the documentation, just wondering if the melee system is available in FPS mode? As it seems like it's not from the demo scenes.

50. sr388

sr388

Hi @gage_wolf.

I was going to reply until I notice that you are maybe the person who sent me a message at gmail with a similar question, it is possible? Haha, no problem, just curious it is the same person. I will put the reply here, so anyone can see it as well:

"Sorry for the time to reply, I have slept about 12-14 hours today haha, lot of work on the asset in the last days for the new update of GKC.

Thanks for your purchase, it is very appreciated and about your question, not yet, as the melee system is based on the action system to manage the attacks, which is not fully adapted to first person yet, but I have been adding improvements on the action system to allow to be used on first person.

Along that, in the next update, I am going to work the full body awareness, in order to see the character's body on first person, along with arms and weapons.

So yeah, it is not available out of the box yet, but it is going to be worked for the next update, as current one is very close to be complete.

Here you can see some of the abilities which are using the action system which can be used now on first person for the upcoming update:

So that will be part of the full body awareness too.

Let me know what you think ;)"

Regards.

Mark_01 and MorpheusXI like this.