Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.6%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

30.0%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.2%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.0%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.1%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.5%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.6%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.4%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.2%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. tansir

tansir

Wow cool! Looking forward to 4.0, I already feel GKC is going to get more and more powerful!
    Thanks a lot!:)

sr388 likes this.
  2. sr388

sr388

HI everyone.

I have added an option on the interaction system to configure multiple interactions on the same object, using different inputs for it, which can be all customized for each type of action and input easily:

Regards.

EN_Games, StevenPicard and hopeful like this.
  3. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I am adding durability option for armor/cloth, melee, fire weapons, objects... so it will allow to manage it according to usage, damage, etc.... and set the objects as broken, to either repair, turn into materials or disappear forever, inspired in breath of the wild and dying light:

Regards.

EN_Games and hopeful like this.
  4. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a summary of the main elements for the near future roadmap:

3.4 (current update in progress)
    • Crafting system, with recipes, creation of objects, materials, structures, tools, with work stations, recipes, blueprints, cooking, from games like minecraft, terraria, starbound, etc
    • Durability for any type of inventory object, including armor/cloth pieces, melee and fire weapons and any other type of object to use or equip, setting them as broken, which can be repaired or dissassembled into materials for crafting. Also, they can be removed from inventory, so they disappear after certain usage or damage
    • VR integration
    • Separation of the whole HUD and UI elements of the player prefab, being two separated objects, easier to manage
    • Online multiplayer
    • More wizards for the creation and customization of stuff
    • Steal objects from other NPCs when you are sneaking behind them
    • Add menus ingame to select the mode of game (single player or local multiplayer) and the selection of the number of players on the local multiplayer mode
    • Cover system
    • Survival elements, hungry, thirty, body temperature, and other stats, like poison
    • Farming/Harvesting mechanics
    • Full body awareness with character's body visible on first person
    • Melee and action system adapted 100% on first person
    • More behavior examples on the AI
    • Boss and waves system
    • AI able to drive vehicles, so humanoids will be able to drive them and use the weapons from these vehicles to shoot at targets automatically. Vehicles will be able to be driven by them self and shoot at targets as well, allowing to give order to vehicles like the player can do currently to AI characters
    Start of 4.0
    • More parkour and dynamic movement from platformer genres, like mario 64, odyssey, grab from ceilings like in crash bandicoot,...
    • Add more game genres, like RTS and turn based combat
    • Grid inventory management option, similar to deus ex and resident evil 4 games
    • More vehicles types and examples
    • Player able to move inside vehicles, like spaceships and boats on water
    • And more

Regards.

5. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here an example of the durability option, which can be used for fire weapons, melee, armor/cloth pieces, etc... inspired on dying light and breath of the wild on this case, on the hammer melee weapon, with a value of 30 units and reducing it on 4 units on each attack impact:

Regards.

EN_Games, hopeful and StevenPicard like this.
  6. neoshaman

neoshaman

Is it possible to fire events on break event? like critical hits (like BOTW) or more?

sr388 likes this.
  7. sr388

sr388

Yes, events can be triggerd when breaking objects, but not sure what you mean exactly for events on critical hits, can you tell me more?

Regards.

8. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a summary of some of the most important and interesting additions during the recent update release of GKC 3.03-3A on the asset store.

Regards.

EN_Games, midian808 and blacksun666 like this.
  9. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here another test with the durability, on fire weapons, with the option to lose them once its durability is over active:

Regards.

StevenPicard likes this.
  10. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I added a tool to modify any melee attack on a melee weapon and update that info on both the weapon attack list and the action system used on that weapon, only needing to set the info in a single place on a wizard tool now:

Regards.

EN_Games and StevenPicard like this.
  11. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have finished most part of the durability option for objects along with adding an option on the inventory objects for its maximum amount of objects per slot, so you can set that for example two pistols are placed separately on 2 inventory slots also.

Here some initial test on the crafting system, where I break a weapon, and both repair it and disassemble it, to craft it again It already shows the ingredient list of each object (I only configured the recipes/blueprint of two, that is why only shows the rifle and a helmet list haha):

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  12. neoshaman

neoshaman

In both, when the weapon break on contact with enemies, it does extra damage, ie critical hit, we can generalized to OnBreak deal different damage or do something else, for example break the fire sword and it cast fire protection on you, which would encourage player to engage with durability for the bonus, like comboing from break different status effect.

sr388 likes this.
  13. sr388

sr388

I see, yes, that is totally possible, I will put on the todo list to make some tests for that type of situation, as it is very interesting and useful to have something like that. Thanks for the info ;)

Regards.

neoshaman likes this.
  14. neoshaman

neoshaman

Extra: can we provoke a break event? Like in botw, we can toss sword and they will break on impact with enemy.

We could have a dedicated button, like smash, that break the weapon on impact, also can we turn object into weapon?

Like grab a chair, which also had the option to sit on, put it back to sit, or wave it around to attack and break it on enemies head, toss it to attack and slam it to break it as a projectile, if we can "buff" the chair by casting effect on it, like if a npc sit on it (onuse event) or with simple contact. I'm basically describing part of power stone gameplay.

Basically how stackable are the options in gkc?

sr388 likes this.
  15. sr388

sr388

@neoshaman I think I added an option to also get durability reduced on applying damage on throw/return of object, so yes, the weapons can be broken on that way too.

And yes, a dedicated action to break the object could be added, so it triggers directly the break function on the current object grabbed.

About getting weapons from objects, you could create a melee weapon with the mesh of any object, like here, inspired by the wonderful Sifu game, I configured an example of breaking furniture to get improvised melee weapons, like a stick:

Or here with a sword which uses the motorbike mesh:

And yes, you can add effects on melee weapons, like activate fire/poison/electricity using the examples of resins (they are inventory objects with remote events to activate x effect on weapons, so you can add new objects with new effects too). Inspired in dark souls, an example of the red resin consumable for melee weapons, activating the damage fire type in any weapon (of course, it can be customized the effect which can be used on each weapon):

I want also take inspiration on the close combat elements of midnight fight express:

Regards.

neoshaman, EN_Games and StevenPicard like this.
  16. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here another example of the crafting system, as I am adding more recipes/blueprints:

Also, as part of the reward system and the general pickups, the blueprints/recipes can be unlocked from getting those objects.

And I am adding more material examples, any suggestions?

Regards.

EN_Games and AGregori like this.
  17. AGregori

AGregori

@sr388 Hi there. The First person Mansion demo instantly locks up Unity (2022.1.17) on the latest GKC. It's a biggie, haven't seen an asset send me right back to desktop for a long time. What could cause it?

18. sr388

sr388

That is strange, there is nothing that could cause that.

Allow me to reach home in 2 3 hours and I will test the asset in that version of unity, could be some strange bug on that specific version. The asset shoulf work without problems in any version equal or higher than 2019.4.9 as it doesnt use any special element or feature of unity.

I will be back with the results asap.

Regards.

AGregori likes this.
  19. sr388

sr388

Ok, I made the check. It is due to a couple of missing prefabs that are on that scene, as I removed a couple of old prefabs from the project content, the scene has references to them and I forgot to remove them from the scene it self.

upload_2022-9-29_2-3-5.png

Seems the recent version of unity gives that issue if there is some missing prefab on the scene (maybe during the upgrade of version from the original asset which is 2019 LTS). The rest of elements in the asset works properly, so you can work with it without problems on the rest of scenes or create new ones ;)

I am going to upload the asset this week with any missing prefab reference removed. Thanks for telling me about it.

Regards

AGregori and hopeful like this.
  20. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Based on the armor/cloth system and the durability option along the weak spots option on health, I added an option to trigger events on damage on certain body parts, so they can for example, call to a highlight on damage received:

Also, I finished almost all the main elements of the durability and crafting system, will make tests to see that all works properly, including to save unlocked blueprints/recipes. Next will be add the option to place created objects on the level, like creating a workbench, bonfire and similar, along configuring some devices that allows to process materials and automatize tasks, like extracting materials or create objects, suggestions?

Regards.

21. AGregori

AGregori

GKC continues to be an amazing asset, especially since v3.0, it's like Adventure Creator + UCC + Puzzle System + Animal Controller rolled in one, and continues to improve. One thing I'd like to see is a more evolved first person system, especially the Action system adapted to first person, so it doesn't cut to third person. Congrats on everything!

sr388 likes this.
  22. sr388

sr388

Thanks, it is very appreciated to hear that and really motivates to keep working hard on the asset :D

And yes, the first person view will be able to use the action system and the melee as well, as I want to add full body awareness first and then the other 2. The current action system has been also improved to allow to be used on first person, having for example abilities as the grenade throw usable on that state.

Regards.

EN_Games, StevenPicard and AGregori like this.
  23. AGregori

AGregori

I'd also like to add that the 4-way context menu (appearing on world objects) that you're planning is HUGE, and the missing link if we wanna make adventure games with GKC. Looking forward to that menu. :rolleyes:

sr388 likes this.
  24. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here an example WIP of the workbench, which allows to set which categories of objects can be created, so you can exclude certain categories of objects to create at any moment so certain objects can be only crafted on workbenches, which is totally customizable, like just weapons, or armor pieces, ...:

Thanks, much appreciated to hear that and yeah, the interaction option allows to configure any amount of extra interactions, from regular one, to 2, 3, etc.... so it be very useful :D

Regards.

25. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Workbenches can receive damage, along with moving/foldable panels, camera changes & craft animations:

The moving/foldable UI panels is general, so it will be usable on the rest of ingame menus, suggestions for this?

Regards.

26. AGregori

AGregori

Awesome. So when will you release this new version? :)

A global input key to close all floating panels?

sr388 and StevenPicard like this.
  27. sr388

sr388

Thanks and about the release date, there is no a specific one, but I think it should be possible to have it ready this month, as I finished the crafting system and I am expanding elements from it and applying improvements and tweaks on it and other elements in the asset :D

So yeah, as soon as a release date is closer, I will tell more about it along more regular progress in the asset.

And yes, the option to close/open all the panels could be useful and easy to include, I will put it on the todo list ;)

I also added separated vertical and horizontal screen limits for the zone where these windows can be moved, so their movement can be clamped easily to the size of the menu panel or any size in between needed.

Regards.

AGregori likes this.
  28. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a tutorial video of the new armor/cloth system to configure the info of a set on a character and using the creator wizard to configure that info as scriptable objects, which will also create inventory objects for them automatically:

Regards.

29. hopeful

hopeful

Is online multiplayer still in the plans for this release?

sr388 likes this.
  30. sr388

sr388

No, it was planned to make an update with both the crafting system and online system, but I decided to split them, so the first part with the crafting and many more improvements and new elements will be released first, and if possible, this month.

And for the next update, it will focus 100% on the online system. During these two updates, I want to also work on the VR integration to have it ready asap too.

Let me know any doubt or question and of course, any suggestion/consideration for the online system is very welcome ;)

Regards.

EN_Games and hopeful like this.
  31. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here more progress on the crafting system, allowing to place created objects on scene (they can be taken back to the inventory as well):

Regards.

32. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here an example of the craft placement mode, which allows to take back to the inventory objects which were crafted and placed on scene, such as the workbench:

Also, here a new useful option on the build player the one that has the main settings of the most important settings on any character, to allow to apply each setting separately instead of all of them at once:

Regards.

33. AGregori

AGregori

Hello, is there a quick way (from Inspector/Editor) to force GKC to start the game from 1st person mode?
    The player could still switch to 3rd person with default "V" if they please.

sr388 likes this.
  34. sr388

sr388

Yes, you can see on this tutorial the main camera view states and how to start the game in one or another and disable the manual input if needed, to have a game 100% on a single view or only change it in specific moments or locations:

Regards.

AGregori likes this.
  35. AGregori

AGregori

Also, is there a way to use an Animator in first person so the Player legs are walking & animating in first person? All I found was this:

sr388 likes this.
  36. sr388

sr388

That is full body awareness and it is planned to arrive soon, but right now the meshes and animator are disabled.

Along with an option to keep those active on first person, I want to check if any animation needs a secondary type for the first person state.

The above settings is to configure the movement on first person as it only uses physics on that state, as in third person and any other locked view, it uses root motion by default.

So yeah, the I want to work on the full body awareness this year, to have it ready asap, and as always, it will be shown here once added ;)

Regards.

AGregori likes this.
  37. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here an option that I added for the floating turret to allow to fire it manually, so it can be toggled to fire on manual input or automatically to detected targets, inspired by nier automata:

I died in the end because I left enabled the "explode" action on the AI on death, from a previous test haha.

Regards-

EN_Games likes this.
  38. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a new tutorial to show better how to configure animals/objects with generic models to ride:

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  39. hopeful

hopeful

Hmm. I wonder if Santa needs any reindeer with miniguns?

sr388 likes this.
  40. sr388

sr388

Haha, futurama santa claus first steps. The weapons can be removed directly (I will show a small clip for it, but it is very straight forward).

I will add a list of main settings on the creator wizard for the object to ride, to show the main elements options for it, just like with player and AI creator ;)

Regards.

41. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here an example of objects dropping materials when getting broken, either direct pickups, or the blueprint ingredients from it that would be obtained from disassembling them:

I improved the drop pickups system to allow to set what recipe/blueprint to drop by name along a new component to break objects easily.

psaihdsapdhas.PNG

Regards.

42. AGregori

AGregori

Lovely. Your loot drop system already works better than in some less accomplished toolkits that I own. :)

sr388 likes this.
  43. sr388

sr388

Thanks, much appreciated to hear that. I also added a new option to configure probability for the objects to be dropped, so that can be configured to set any value to be dropped or not for each object configured on the list.

Regards.

AGregori likes this.
  44. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here an example of the workbenches showing their health bar, along the interaction part to repair them with wood inventory objects and the option to only allow repair objects on workbenches:

All can be used or disabled as needed, same can be configured to only allow disassemble or creation of certain category of object on workbenches.

Regards.

45. AGregori

AGregori

I've been trying to reconcile this asset with GKC, but it's not working since the cameras & layers & scripts are conflicting. GKC's Examine system is already more powerful than the one in that toolkit, but there are plenty of smaller subsystems there that would be a welcome touch in GKC: padlock, keypad, generator, diary...

Please consider looking at it to see if they're cool enough to include in GKC later.

sr388 likes this.
  46. sr388

sr388

There are many layers and tags on GKC which are not mandatory to use, so you can remove many of them and place others which could be needed. I will make a capture later to show these layers/tag ;)

And yes, you could use the pause/resume player component to activate the interation with those elements, while pausing the player actions and HUD elements if needed, similar to how is used on the integration with dialogue system:

Let me know if you try that.

Regards.

47. AGregori

AGregori

Thanks, I'm aware that we can pause/resume Player at any time (I'm doing that from script), but in the above case when the 3rd party asset comes with custom cameras & layers & tags & canvases, it can still be a mess. ;)
    I'll rephrase the question as a feature request: would you be interested in including functionality like an elaborate Keypad, Padlock, Fusebox system (like those in that asset) in the future?

sr388 likes this.
  48. sr388

sr388

There are already keypads, on the computer device prefab, padlocks with combination to solve and fusebox examples as well (with the use inventory object system component).

There are prefabs of all these elements, along with more puzzle type examples, which you can find on the prefabs folder, and using the search bar on the project window.

I have on the todo list for this current update to make a scene focused on this type of interaction/puzzle elements.

Also, I want to make more puzzle examples inspired on the room games from mobile:

Let me know if you try the above element prefabs. I can make a capture later to show the paths on the prefab folder for them ;)

Regards.

49. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I added an option on the crafting system to set if any object needs x time to be crafted, showing also that info on the menu, along the remain time:

If more objects crafted in time are made, they are added on that panel list, showing each one its current remaining time to be created (this will be saved on the save game info, and resumed once the game is loaded).

Regards.

50. AGregori

AGregori

Thank you, they are pretty good, and it's great that they're in the package. :D

About 1st person view: is there a way to turn off body visibility in 1st person view? Since there's no animator available, it's not useful currently.