Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.6%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

30.0%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.2%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.0%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.1%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.5%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.6%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.4%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.2%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. hncarlos

hncarlos

Another question, how can I enable/disable scripts that I do not want? I just want a simple character to walk, jump, run, crouch and melee fight and a simple and minimalist HUD with only life bar.

How can I disable everything else? Including HUD information, abilities, powers and so on? I do not find a manager script where I can enable/disable things.

Thanks!

2. eaque

eaque

Actually you had no rush...and waouh ! sorry i cost you some work already.:oops:

So first of all many thanks for your prompt reply and maybe "solution"...
    I am far from understanding everything. That's why i posted the dev comment.

This is the point. It has it's own floatting origin system (universe feature) to render huge objects.at far distance.... Its not a vehicle system, i want to use your vehicle system(rider)

So if i understand, if the controller follows the up direction of the vehicle, it could walk inside the ship while its moving. And no issue with the camera?....amazing
    Like in your video???! amazing you did it that quick!! :cool::)
    If it is, i guess gkc will be in all space sim projects!!!

regards

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
  3. sr388

sr388

I recommend to check this tutorial video, as it shows the main setting list of options on the player to create or AI.

Along with this, if you already created the player, you can go to its build player on the Character gameObject, as it contains that same list of options, allowing to manage them from a single place.

Also, each main component has a main bool field to be disabled (they are also only active when used ingame, so they are not active all the time, just on the moments used).

On the same build player component, there is a template section which allows to select/save/load custom scriptable objects templates of the preconfigured list of settings, allowing to set different type of configurations.

I can make a few captures later, but it is easy to locate and play with it. Let me know if you try that ;)

About UI there is usually a component to handle the UI part of a main system, and you can also locate the hierarchy of the HUD, to disable the parts needed. If you disable a system, if it uses some UI elements, it won't active or change their state neither.

@eaque no problem, it was easy to add and it is an useful element which was already present on the regular GKC vehicle system, so it made sense to include that option on the general drive/rider system ;)

I haven't tried too much of floating point, but I guess it has a configuration to set the main player transform or similar, to handle its position on scene, in that case, player controller gameObject is the actual player object (and player camera gameObject follows him where he goes).

Along with it, you can adjust the render distance of the main camera located inside the player camera gameObject.

I think that would be pretty much all needed. I recommend to ask to the developer for how the player is configured, as I think it would be either very similar to the said above or maybe with some extra step, but it would make sense to be used for any type of character controller.

"it could walk inside the ship while its moving": If the ship is an actual rigidbody moving with forces, the player will need probably a modification to move properly inside a rigidbody which is moving (which is planned on GKC, inspired on games like star citizen). If the ship moves with transform, the player can already move inside a transform without forces out of the box.

This is for player moving inside actual vehicles, if you mean just enter the vehicle and drive it, it works already with the above steps and the video tutorials of the general drive/rider system.

Let me know if all is clear and your results ;)

Regards.

EN_Games and eaque like this.
  4. hncarlos

hncarlos

Thanks @sr388

What I want is a way to enable/disable things at runtime. I was looking for a simple script manager that I could easily enable/disable things through code!

I tried to use a template to change this at runtime, I saved one using "Save Settings List to file" Button, then added the new one in the template list e tried to load at runtime using setTemplateFromListAsCurrentToApply (int) but it does not work.

Also, enable and disable scripts through the bool toggle on inspector does not seem to disable the HUD interface. like if I uncheck "Inventory Enabled" on Inventory Manager script. the inventory will still be on HUD. (at runtime)

In this case I have to manually disable/fade-out the Inventory element located on "HUD and Menus" as well?

Anyway... I'm having a really hard time trying to find scripts, for example: I want to disable these abilities

upload_2022-12-8_10-22-53.png

but I could not find where is the script that manage this. Also, as I said, even if I find the correct script and the feature is disabled, it may not disable the HUD element.

Sorry if I'm making noob questions, but I'm completely lost with GKC hahaha. There are so many elements, sub systems and scripts... it is too much overwhelming for me. Thanks for your patience

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
  5. sr388

sr388

In which way and what do you want to disable in runtime? The general drive/rider system already handles the pause/resume player actions and HUD elements, so that is already handled if you mean that.

You can locate the UI elements used on any system assigned directly on its component inspector. The abilities can be found inside the Other systems hierarchy, on the Essential elements, you can find the main abilities system and its UI system manager for it, where that ability dpad panel is assigned, so you can locate it easily and disable it.

I recommend to join the discord channel (you can find the link on my signature) as I can give a better help support there through direct chat and remote session along with posting progress info during each new update ;)

Regard.s

hncarlos likes this.
  6. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Good day of work, one important petition:

In the last weeks, the asset store review system didn't work properly for some users, so if anyone here tried to leave a review on an asset (like GKC ;) ) and wasn't able, it seems the review system works now,
    so give a try if you didn't already.

Btw, here a quick (and recorded while I was very sleepy) video of the oxygen demo scene, where I added an enemy to slice with the plasma cutter, as I am very hyped for the remake of dead space:

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  7. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

For the recent update, the craftin system allows to set connections mode ingame, inspired in games like scrap mechanic, which can be used to connect objects and power any device, like a streetlight:

And here a test of using energy stations to power any type of device, like an elevator:

Regards.

EN_Games and hopeful like this.
  8. eaque

eaque

Hi,
    Diving into gkc and i like it:) 2 questions;
    -(Simple Elevator With Two Switches): Is it possible to have a remote switch at each floor. ? if i leave the platform i can't call it back...I tried a lot to add a switch different ways (calling the function...) but didn't find...

-For the character, what is the parameter to adjust "default step height"..?.i can be blocked by very low height object or floor, and it starts a fall too...

Thanks in advance

sr388 likes this.
  9. sr388

sr388

Thanks, much appreciated to hear that :D

About your questions, there is already an elevator prefab example with multiple floors and separated switchs to call on each floor, you can set the number of floors and the switch call for each one.

About the step height, yes, you can adjust that on the adherence to the ground settings and min step height on the player controller component, on its advanced settings section, on the player controller component.

Let me know your results, no rush.

Regards.

eaque likes this.
  10. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

For the recent updated, I added an option on the armor/cloth creator wizard to take the info of the parts of a set configured in a model to make the list directly, to avoid to write that info again on the creator:

Regards.

11. eaque

eaque

Many thanks!:)

sr388 likes this.
  12. eaque

eaque

Sorry, i must have tired eyes...May i ask:
    -in order to prevent a fall state animation when walking on tiny object or floor
    Is it here ground detection?
    upload_2022-12-16_21-28-46.png

13. eaque

eaque

guess i found how to walk on small edges its "max stairs ray distance", right?
    upload_2022-12-16_21-30-27.png

And i found the elevator its hologram doors!! fantastic

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
    sr388 likes this.
  14. sr388

sr388

That was already improved about 1 or 2 updates ago, to ignore small gaps and move properly, check the layer on that surface, as maybe is ignored by the layermask on the ground detection on the player controller component.

You can also use primitive collider to make smoother surfaces or probuilder to edit custom shapes to adapt to more complex surfaces for its collisions to reduce gaps and complexity of the mesh colliders that you have on scene.

Haha, nice, suggestions for elements to interact are always welcome ;)

Regards.

eaque likes this.
  15. blacksun666

blacksun666

With the armor system, is it possible to grant set bonus stats? I'd like each armor piece to provide a stat bonus, but provide additional bonuses if you have 3,4,5,etc bits of armor from the same "set"

16. sr388

sr388

Yes, it is how currently works, allowing to set the stats that each armor/piece adds to the character, with a list of stats to affect, so you cans set as many on each part as you prefer.

Also, the full armor equipped allows to set extra values, both elements configurable on the scriptable objects which are created during the process of armor/cloth sets, which you can find on the scriptable objects folder inside GKC on the project.

Let me know if you try it, a proper tutorial video is planned for it, but it is very intuitive to configure.

Regards.

17. hopeful

hopeful

I've probably asked this before, but is it possible to take something from under Powers or Abilities, and add it to inventory, and then once it is in inventory, add sockets to it, and place different enhancements that will affect that inventory item into those sockets?

It seems to me there is something along those lines, I just can't remember quite how it goes.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
  18. sr388

sr388

An upgrade system for objects is planned but haven't been completed yet, as it is in progress, for the purpose that you said.

Regards.

hopeful likes this.
  19. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I added an option on the hold interaction button to also show the remain time to activate the action pressed as text:

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  20. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

Hey Everyone, happy holidays.
    Any suggestions or advice on GKC/UVC integrations since they've both updated recently?
    I was about to refactor all my GKC/UVC integration scripts but noticed that a lot of the things I coded for are now included in the newest updates. I'm using GKC for motorbikes and UVC for cars and trucks while using the GKC external rider script to initialize all of it. By the looks of it, UVC has been made more modular and easier to hook into.
    I've got a couple questions but let me go read the GKC documentation first...

21. sr388

sr388

The developer of UVC made a video recently with an improved and simpler integration process, which you can see here:

Regards.

EN_Games and Wetw0rx like this.
  22. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

This is sooo good! Its super easy now. Next I'm working on animating the GKC character on a UVC motorbike. This asset has been such a blessing. Thanks and keep up the great work

hopeful and sr388 like this.
  23. sr388

sr388

Glad to hear that, I love to work on this asset and improve it more and more :D

Btw people, today, I am going to make a talk on the stream of The Messy Coder, so feel free to join us, to talk about GKC and recent stuff on it and future as well.

Regards.

paulojsam, Wetw0rx and EN_Games like this.
  24. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Thanks to all the people who was on the stream, it was very fun and nice to see how the asset has changed just during this year :D

Also, as promised, here the example that I configured to use a parry counter inspired on dark souls games, so if you make a perfect block, a random counter action can be activated (I need to tweak the match between the 2 characters):

Regards.

25. Frank_Arnold

Frank_Arnold

Hi,
    where can I set what the player has in the inventory at startup?
    when i create a new own character the inventory is ALWAYS full...
    I do not want that in any case...
    edit
    I have found out
    it would be perfect if this menu is activated when creating a new character

show/hide setting list

Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
  26. eaque

eaque

Hi,
    I know it's not easy and we all wanna do that..;lol
    Go to your player gameobject, unfold "player1" go to "PlayerController" gameobject.
    THen there is an "Inventory manager", you need to pay attention cause the list is always hidden.
    Search for "Show/Hide initial inventory list
    Then disable all objects in the list.

sr388 likes this.
  27. sr388

sr388

Sorry for the wait.

Yes, you can customize the initial inventory on the player, either from the main character creator when you make a new player, you can select the option to clear the initial inventory.

Also, if you already created it, you can customize that inventory on its component, you can see more here:

Looking forward for your results ;)

Regards.

28. sr388

sr388

Good day, everyone.

Just a reminder that Game Kit Controller is 50% OFF during the New Year Sale!

Also, here the main talk with messy coder a couple of days ago, for anyone who missed it:

Finally, I just wanted to wish you merry christmas and have a good day today :D

Regards.

29. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

On the recent update, I improved the option on the AI to find a weapon object on scene when they lose all their available weapons, for example, when the durability on them breaks the weapons:

Also, I added an option on the AI to steal weapons from their current target to attack with a probability % to have success on it, if not, they will search weapons on scene:

Regards.

blacksun666, hopeful and EN_Games like this.
  30. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

On the recent update, I added a button on the main GKC bar when you want to create an inventory object, so it either selects the main inventory manager on scene or instantiates it and selects it, to avoid any extra step:

Regards.

StevenPicard and EN_Games like this.
  31. sr388

sr388

HI everyone.

Here some test with vehicles managed through the inventory system:

Regards.

32. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Just wanted to wish you a happy new to everyone here and as always, thanks for another amazing year and I am very excited to what will arrive during 2023, including the online, VR, full body awareness and much more :D

In the meantime, here a test just walking on a planetoid:

Regards.

eaque, Stefan86 and hopeful like this.
  33. hopeful

hopeful

Very cool that walking through that "donut hole" actually works!

sr388 likes this.
  34. eaque

eaque

Hi, Best wishes to you! i'm enjoying your asset so far
    I'm lost with the ik positions with shooting weapons. i try with lazer shooter...
    Can you give me what to change?.i follow the docs but seems different...
    There are so many points possible...I found the keep position quite obvious but the rest is complicated to me...sorry
    Thanks
    upload_2023-1-3_22-22-52.png

35. sr388

sr388

Thanks for the kind words, it is appreciated.

About your question, to adjust the fire weapons IK, you can see it here:

Looking forward for your results, no rush.

If you have further doubts or issues, I can give a better help on the discord channel of the asset ;)

Regards.

eaque likes this.
  36. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here another way to take vehicles back to the inventory object, having a simple interaction object which allows to set any inventory object by name back to the inventory:

Regards.

EN_Games and eaque like this.
  37. eaque

eaque

sorry i missed that one on youtube!! :p:)
    Many thanks

sr388 likes this.
  38. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here the example of the slice surfaces on scene with actual characters, which can be thrown to them through the abilities or by pushing them to the surfaces, inspired on callisto protocol:

I have applied a couple of improvements on these physics, so it will be shown soon too.

Glad to help and looking forward for your results :D

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  39. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here an example of how fire and melee weapons can unlock abilities while equipped, the lightsaber enables 4 abilities which are added on the wheel of abilities:

Here the option where it can be customized for what abilities are linked to the weapon:

Regards.

hopeful and EN_Games like this.
  40. hopeful

hopeful

Hmm. So could I have a "weapon" that is just a label, and have it enable say 4 melee attacks?

I apologize if that's a weird question. I struggle with the concept of having separate weapons, abilities, actions, and powers. To my mind they are all the same thing.

41. sr388

sr388

On this case, each element you said are different.

The weapons system are separated in two, melee and weapons, which are managed separately, but they have its manaement in the inventory in common.

Abilities are just a list of info with events, which activate elements, such as an animation and the function call to spawn a projectile of fire, or telekinesis, or fly system or any other type of custom ability and behavior.

The action system it self is to configure actions based on animations, either from input or from fixed places on scene.

And the abilities can call to the action system to play animations for the ability, like the push objects action.

Powers are mostly to aim with player arms and fire projectiles from its hands (or AI), similar to infamous games, very similar logic to the fire weapons but handled on a separated system.

You can think powers mode and abilities are similar, but powers are focused on firing projectiles of any type from character's hand, and abilities are for any type of action, from projectiles, to magic spells, summoning, special models (like fly, float, vision laser, telekinesis, etc...).

So yeah, that is pretty much the summary of the above elements, abilities can be used at any moment, fire and melee weapons are configured as different player modes, but its usage through the inventory allows to change them automatically without extra manual change and the powers mode is another type of mode configured, just like close combat for example.

Recently, I added an option the close combat to be used also at any moment, without need to manual change, so even when carry melee or fire weapons, you can activate kicks and punches directly with input. I will post an example of that later.

Regards.

42. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I also added an option on the paraglider/parachute to add an extra force during a short time on opening it:

Here the options for it:

Regards.

43. Unleaded-Games

Unleaded-Games

You're a beast with all these new features, I bet your family misses you! :D

sr388 likes this.
  44. sr388

sr388

Haha, thanks, it is very appreciated to hear that, I really love to work on the asset and make it as good as possible :D

And the good is that most elements are flexible enough on the code to be easy to extend around the main structure to include new examples or new elements for different systems.

Can't wait to finish this current update and focus finally on online, VR and full body awareness and with it, enter on the version 4.0. This year will be amazing.

Regards.

Unleaded-Games and EN_Games like this.
  45. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I added a new option for the loading scene system, which allows to check if that scene was added on build settings by name too, if not added, the loading scene will be ignored, opening the actual scene to use directly instead:

loading_screen.PNG
    The system checks by default the last scene index added, to the name option is an extra check.

I also added a better example of setting a cutscene with a waypoint list to make the player to move through them while the camera moves through its own waypoint/spline:

In the video, the player moves through navmesh with a custom waypoint path which can be customized as needed:

Camera_waypoint.PNG
    Regards.

blacksun666 and EN_Games like this.
  46. eaque

eaque

Hi,
    How can i enter a vehicle by event on detectplayer? I have big ship and iwant to pilot the "flying machine" only when i sit somewhere....
    So its like i wanted the flying machine to only detect me when i want from far.
    or tell it to let me drive but an event ..? lol
    I suppose i have to set the state on the player? and where is the main driving state on the machines?
    thanks
    and btw here is my spaceproject restarted with GKC and i like that!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    jeremiasz likes this.
  47. sr388

sr388

I think you mean how to set where the interaction place is located for the enter/exit on vehicles, right?

That is the main trigger it self on the vehicle, as it is the one which takes care of detecting a character on the range to enter on the vehicle.

So you can adjust the offset of that sphere trigger for it, to be placed where you need. Also, on the device string action component, on the vehicle gameObject, adjust the min distance to use with a lager one, so it takes into account the new distance to it.

Btw, that looks very good, can't wait to see more, love to see when the gravity mechanics are used :D

Regards.

eaque likes this.
  48. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I added a check to make sure melee weapons meshes are activated on the initial inventory list on start (on the example, I carry about 7-8 melee weapons haha):

Also, I configured the take vehicle back to inventory interaction on the rest of vehicles:

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  49. eaque

eaque

i was so close to do that last night!! Many thanks.

sr388 likes this.
  50. eaque

eaque

thank you it works well. Now i am trying to do something stupid iguess. I use aflying machine put a big cube in the meshes part...Then pilot and get out...I trigger the body kinematic on eventGetOff...And it seems to work perfectly, the character is not sliding...but when i do that with the big ship each time i getoff it slides on the surface... i know rigidbody inside rigidbody is for later, but as iwant my ship to stop moving when i getoff...i dont understand why he slides...

Guess i have to set a new gravity right?
    thx

upload_2023-1-16_22-18-7.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    sr388 likes this.