Search Unity

50% OFF Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.6%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

29.9%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.1%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.1%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.3%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.4%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.7%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.5%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.7%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here the option I mentioned to activate abilities through consumables. I took inspiration from witcher 3 where the player takes different types of consumables to boost stats or activate abilities during a certain amount of time.

In this case, it is an ability example which allows to see hidden elements on the scene during 30 seconds (just by playing with the culling mask of the main camera), which could be used for some kind of detective view, similar to arkham games too.

Regards.

Kennth and hopeful like this.
  2. zKici

zKici

Your quest 2 has not been recalled?

3. sr388

sr388

As far as I know, facebook is not requesting these kits back, they are giving free a new protection for them for any person who bought that kit, so in case you have one, you can ask for a free replacement of that part, though in my case, I haven't had any problem with it.

Regards.

zKici likes this.
  4. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

For the recent release, I have brought a feature which was complete but there wasn't an example of it for the demos (with some improvement), which is the dynamic split screen, taking inspiration from lego games, where a single camera follows 2 players and it toggles to 2 cameras when they are far enough from the other, having a separation of the screen for that as you can see:

So there is a demo scene with this type of camera on the builds and the scenes included on the asset :)

Regards.

5. studiopoof

studiopoof

Hi Two Cubes Studio,

Pinned to the top of the forum where you're asking about recommendations for features/mechanics to add to Game Kit Controller... I'd like to see the melee combat to be more like classic 3D Zelda games in these ways:
    • While locked on, and dodging to the left or right, the character's dodging movement circles the enemy, rather than going in a straight line. (Like the blue arrow below, and not like the pink arrow below)
    poor-drawing.png
    • Weapons/Items can be mapped to certain buttons - so that the player can quickly switch between, for example: a sword, a bow, and bombs (Rather than how GKC is currently set up, where the player switches between all shooter weapons / all melee weapons / all magic attacks / etc.

Also, a system for melee/shooter "Quick Time Events" (Like in Resident Evil games) and/or Special Moves (Like in Hyrule Warriors) would be cool!

sr388 likes this.
  6. studiopoof

studiopoof

Also, for the climbing mechanics you're working on - it would be extremely helpful if it included IK settings. I've been working with another asset for awhile, trying to modify it's ladder mechanic to work with my custom character, and unfortunately the only way to correct the placement of the hands and feet is to modify the animations to fit my character's bone structure - or change the size/shape of the ladder. This also makes it difficult to replace the asset's standard climbing animations, because there's no tool to make position and IK adjustments in Unity play-mode.

sr388 likes this.
  7. sr388

sr388

@rh4unity thank for the suggestions :)

About the dodge, yes, I can add an option to use the dodge on left or right plus adding the forward directtion, so it moves in those directions instead of straight line, as the dodge action allows to check the movement input and do it on the direction based on the input.

About the objects, it is interesting, will think about it. Also, on the new version, the new hot bar/quick access for the inventory objects allows to drop any fire or melee weapon or consumabe, and the player will change between them directly when you use the key numbers 1,2,3,4,5....drawing a fire or melee weapons without problems.

You can also link any key to a certain ability, as by default they are used with B to open the abilitiies wheel and B to activate it, but you can also use the arrow keys to make short cuts for the abilities and you can also assign any key to any specific ability as well. I can show the step for it tomorrow ;)

About quick time events, it is planned to add that kind of actions too, though there are a couple of examples on the AI to make special takedown movements on AI when is weak enough or stealth kill when they don't detect you and you sneak behind them.

And yes, it is planned to add IK elements for the climb system too, can't wait to work on it during the update 3.04.

Regards.

Peppo87 likes this.
  8. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here an example of the option on the vehicles for damage detection to apply the call on weak spots, just like explosive area effects can do too, so it can also explode body parts on AI when hitting them with vehicles:

And btw, for this new update, the integration with ABC (Ability & Combat Toolkit) asset will be added.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/game-toolkits/ability-combat-toolkit-155168

Regards.

9. hopeful

hopeful

What sort of features would integration with ABC allow? It seems like there's a lot of duplication between the systems, so that makes it a bit confusing to me.

sr388 likes this.
  10. sr388

sr388

The integration with ABC will allow to use its combat system inside the GKC engine, using the player's mode, allowing to change between modes (like fire weapons, melee, close combat, etc...) so you can use the melee system from GKC directly or the one on ABC , or use the melee mode of GKC for some of its specific elements, like the teleport, or any other special ability for example

I want to start with ABC integration soon, to have the main structure of it and check how it will work, as I think the integration will be very straight forward, with minimal additions or changes for it, similar to how it was the easy build system integration.

Regards.

Mark_01, Kennth and StevenPicard like this.
  11. chrisabranch

chrisabranch

I tried everything.. how do I make a character without all the extra guns attached. I followed the online video and all it does is duplicate the default character and deletes them when I close the window.

12. sr388

sr388

I think you mean you used the inventory options on the character creator to remove the weapons from inventory too, is that right?

There is a small bug when using that setting due to I forgot to call to a function which spawns the main managers in the scene when creating a new character, as they are separated objects from the player, having this a managers administrator for them.

I attached here a file with 2 scripts, replace them from the explorer window not from unity it self, inventoryManager on the path of the project Assets\Game Kit Controller\Scripts\Inventory and buildPlayer on Assets\Game Kit Controller\Scripts\Player\Character Builder.

Build player scripts files

I am going to push a little update in a few minutes with this fix applied to the asset store. Let me know your results if you try this, no rush, and sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards.

Kennth and hopeful like this.
  13. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

For the recent release, I added a component to manage the mouse cursor through gamepad input for the home menu, so the game can be managed properly even from the main home screen (the cursor can be also controlled by any of the joysticks):

I have talked with the developer of A* pathfinding to work on an integration of that asset with GKC, as the AI navigation system can be extended easily to get the navigation info from any other element besides regular navmesh:

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/ai/a-pathfinding-project-pro-87744

Regards

14. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I am actually looking forward to this integration. I think ABC and GC are an awesome combination! Will you also be integrating both AI's together? So ABC's AI enemies affects the GC player and likewise? That would be great if you did. Two different styles of AI can add gameplay variety (and I think Emerald AI is already integrated in with GC, so that's great.)

sr388 and Kennth like this.
  15. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I am also looking forward to this! Man, as always, you are on a roll!

sr388, Mark_01 and Kennth like this.
  16. zKici

zKici

Does the user have to use the mouse to navigate through the Menu, or can they use the arrows to flow around the menu properly? (For controllers)

sr388 likes this.
  17. blacksun666

blacksun666

Do you also support gamepad input when a system doesnt have a mouse for instance a console or even ios device with bluetooth joystick?

sr388 likes this.
  18. sr388

sr388

Thanks and yeah, I am very curious to see both assets working together and of course, the idea is to have both AI interacting each other and applying damage ;)

Glad to hear that and always working on improve the asset as much as possible :D

Not yet, as right now the gamepad controls the actual mouse cursor directly, but I want to add navigation through the UI during this new update, to have that part finally included, as it is the last element left to add from the gamepad control elements.

That is what is planned to add using the UI navigation system of unity, to allow to move through the menus with the gamepad dpad or the joysticks to move through the menu buttons directly as any console game does.

You can currently use any gamepad on mobile by mapping the controls on the screen, as there are many apps to do that, you can see an example here:

But yeah, like I said, it is planned to add the UI navigation with dpad or joysticks to move between the menus buttons.

Regards.

19. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here an example of the fire ability activating the puzzle fire, instead of using fire arrows or the torch for it:

Regards.

EN_Games, Unleaded-Games and hopeful like this.
  20. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have started the swim system and there has been a lot of progress on it in almost no time, like trying the use of weapons while swimming and diving with nice results. Here some WIP about it:

Regards.

MorpheusXI, Wetw0rx, EN_Games and 3 others like this.
  21. hopeful

hopeful

Not sure if this needs any special consideration on top of what you've already got, but keep in mind that there may be what is essentially "flight" underwater and on the surface, and vehicles. Some travel modes may be surface only, with buoyancy, while others have neutral or negative buoyancy and can go under.

sr388 likes this.
  22. neoshaman

neoshaman

You should look at the zora control on the n64 version of majora's mask, and also soul reaver psx

Wetw0rx and sr388 like this.
  23. sr388

sr388

"there may be what is essentially "flight" underwater and on the surface" not sure what you mean exactly, can you tell me more?

About the other elements you said, do you mean for other objects besides the player, like how vehicles or crates, pickups, etc... should react on water, or something else?

Cool, I will check that. Do you have any suggestion about some element to add to the swim system or something that is missing in the current video?

Regards.

24. neoshaman

neoshaman

Both game mentioned have a swim faster feature that allow dolphin jump out of water, soul reaver has a back dash that's super useful combined with the swim faster stuff to get out of water onto platforms, removing fiddling positioning, and majora's transition from dolphin jump to solid ground is keeping movement flow. These are qol elements to swimming along with banjo's surface swimming vs underwater swimming, but you got that already. Optional is that majora has a "sink swim" state you can switch to that allow you to fall down to the bottom and walk, which is easier for interacting with some elements or do some navigation. Kind of like switching between flying and walking.

Note the new majora on 3ds mask botched the swimming.

hopeful and sr388 like this.
  25. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Another good day of progress along some free time to keep working on the swim system. Also, here the a summary of the roadmap for the new update which has been already started:
    • Armor/cloth system with all kinds of stats and highly customizable and compatible with UMA
    • Full body awareness in first person
    • More wizards for the creation and customization of stuff
    • Add the rest of the info to the save system, related to the elements of each Scene
    • Add menus ingame to select the mode of game (single player or local multiplayer)
    • Weapons which can be broken after x time of use or use them x amount of times, with options to repair it
    • Survival elements, as stamina, hungry, thirty, body temperature, and other stats, like poison and similar
    • Swim and dive system, allowing to use weapons, abilities, ....
    • Support of generic models, like animals, monsters, robots, etc...
    • Dual wield melee weapons, make parries, and more deep combo and special attacks activated by different key combinations
    • Ability to move on ledges to left and right while grabbing them
    • Crafting system, with recipes, creation of objects, materials, structures, tools, including work stations, blueprints, food, cooking, etc….
    • Mechanics related to farming/harvesting
    • Power stasis and other abilities from breath of the wild
    • Improved character ground adherence, for slopes, stairs, gaps, irregular surfaces and more
    • VR integration
    • Customization of the character to use at the beginning of the game or any moment ingame
    • Integrations with assets like ABC, space combat kit, mech combat kit, dialogue system, quest machine and more
    • Separation of the whole HUD and UI elements of the player prefab, being two separated objects
    • Add settings menu for visual configuration of graphics and more ingame settings
    • Improved AI, including more behaviors
    • Start the main structure of the Online multiplayer
    Here with some more details:

Roadmap 3.03-2

@neoshaman Oh, I see, yes, that kind of options are planned as well, not sure how much will be included on the initial swim system, but the idea is to get it as complete as possible, and your post gave me some interesting ideas too ;)

I am taking ideas from many games for it, including tomb raider, uncharted and some more which I can't remember right now haha.

Regards.

EN_Games, neoshaman, Mark_01 and 3 others like this.
  26. studiopoof

studiopoof

@sr388 , Thanks for replying to my last post! That all sounds good.

One more suggestion for a mechanic to add to GKC: an on-rails shooter mechanic, like in "Kid Icarus: Uprising" and "Sin and Punishment: Star Successor."

neoshaman and sr388 like this.
  27. hopeful

hopeful

Well, the most realistic animations for swimming, that show resistance of the water, are going to be root motion type, I imagine. Yet there is also motion relative to currents, where a current may be pushing a character in a direction. And then in terms of game feel, there are situations where the body in or under water is moving relative to a body on the surface or land - which is unsatisfying, because real movement in water is SLOW - and so for the game there's a desire to speed up the body in water, yet without making root motion type animations ridiculously fast. Travel occurring in the water sped up to be closer to travel speed on land is essentially flying (no root motion) while doing a swimming animation. But of course the flight analogy breaks when the body reaches the surface, as typical swimming motions don't propel you into the air ... though game type swimming might allow such feats, handling them like a jump from the surface as if the surface of the water was solid. And if game rules permit flight under water, as you might get with say a Superman type character, then sure, fly right out of the water.

Vehicles, likewise, would have water behaviors. Like there are sled or torpedo type motors that pull a swimmer along under water. How would these behave when they encounter the surface? How would other vehicles behave in a slower water medium, with buoyancy and currents? Stuff like that.

Note that river currents push the body steadily along in a direction. Ocean currents at the shore switch between shoreward and seaward, and deeper waters may have various river-like currents that move you faster than you can swim.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    sr388 likes this.
  28. sr388

sr388

That would be an interesting mechanic for a future update, maybe during 4.0 version, as 3.0 will be complete around the start of the new year. I want to use a part of 4.0 to work on new control scheme and other genres, like turn based combat, RTS mechanics, diablo/moba and other types.

Kid Icarus Uprising is one of my favorite games, and now I will need to play it again haha.

@hopeful I see. For now, the current movement on water is not root motion based but physics based, allowing to configure the speed for input, water friction, increase swim or dive speed, etc...

I want to add elements that you said, like allowing to push objects inside the water from currents and similar, and add interaction with vehicles or increase the player mass so he can move in the bottom of the water, similar to ocarina of time.

Basically, I want to cover most elements used on different games for the swim system, probably not all on the initial release of this new system, but adding more over next updates, according to the development speed. The main structure is mostly complete and I am tweaking and polish different parts, to make sure it is as good as possible ;)

Water/sea vehicles will be added soon, not sure if for this update, but it will be able to use this water interaction as I will add buoyancy elements.

Regards.

Kennth, StevenPicard and hopeful like this.
  29. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have added an option on the locked camera system to clamp the aim reticle to a circle. The previous option clamped the movement inside a circle, with this active, the clamp is made inside as well, so the reticle only moves on circles, like most top down/isometric/2.5d games used to do with their aim system based on a reticle direction to aim (ignore the red square, it is from the laser system and that has been adjusted properly already):

Regards.

EN_Games and Kennth like this.
  30. Kennth

Kennth

I am one of the people, looking forward to a turn based type of combat. I know there is a lot to do before that.
    turn based with all the type of combat options would work, well.. this esp applies to magic/bow/sword type games I think.
    I don't know how hard it would be to set game time to zero and advance x frames for the next ( opposition ) movement to take place.

hopeful and sr388 like this.
  31. sr388

sr388

Yeah, it is a mechanic that I am curious to work during 4.0, and I have been already thinking how it would be implemented, so by the time I start to work on it, most of the elements will be already structured.

Of course, there are many elements first to add or improve, as I have been more focused on improve and complete previous and recent systems, and add new examples of extended behaviors and components than adding new stuff, to make sure all the main parts and most important systems are totally covered before moving to other different elements and mechanics as these.

Regards.

32. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

This is a good approach to take.

33. Kennth

Kennth

It is great to know that you have priority for the new features all lined up. I know turn based will
    be awhile.. and it's all good :)

For the turn based I was thinking more along the lines of some old school games.. ( might and magic )..
    where you played the game in real time.. and on a battle encounter you had a choice to just keep
    " real time " ... or what happened is you would hit [ enter ] and the game would like stop , but go to
    turn based combat. This included like all " party members or " pets " .. how turn a turn was
    calculated was based on " speed " so a higher level say a level 10 mob would have a higher attract speed if
    say you were level one.... so it would kill you.... but as you gain levels your attack speed increases ( along with other stats ) .. and a party of say three level 10 .. could then kill that level 10 mob in real time. where as that same party at say level 7 .. might be able to kill it in turn based mode if you had a healer..say...

sr388 likes this.
  34. sr388

sr388

Thanks, I really want to do my best with this asset, so it is important to set priorities and make sure each part is as good as possible :D

Yeah, I would like to try regular turn based combat, and a combination of real combat with turn based combat too, similar to what FFVII remake did and anything interesting in between for different possibilities ;)

Regards.

Mark_01 and Kennth like this.
  35. hopeful

hopeful

If there are a few turns per second, that works for NPC AI and servers, too.

Mark_01, Kennth and sr388 like this.
  36. paulojsam

paulojsam

multiplayer turn based yes please

sr388 likes this.
  37. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here some more progress of the swim system, with trigger events for camera effects underwater, sounds, particles and jump on water or climb to a surface it the player detects one close enough while on the water:

Also, here an example of dying from depleted oxygen:

Regards.

MorpheusXI, EN_Games, hopeful and 3 others like this.
  38. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

As the first step to add support of generic models to allow to use animals, monsters, robots and anything not human as character for player and AI, I have added an example through the abilities system to change the control of any object in game, like shape shifting, starting with vehicles:

Next will be allow to control through the override system as abilities (similar to super mario odyssey) and after that, add the support of generic models, which I will show during the week.

Regards.

39. neoshaman

neoshaman

Add support for transition animation

sr388 likes this.
  40. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Very good day of progress (though summer is making very difficult to work, with about 40º here xd). Here some more examples of the shape shifting ability used with different objects, like a simple cube, a crate with pickups inside and an explosive barrel (any other object could be used for this, including an AI, which I will show another example tomorrow):

Haha, of course, it will have options to configure events for effects, like sounds, particles, animations, etc... ;)

Regards.

41. studiopoof

studiopoof

MorpheusXI, StevenPicard and sr388 like this.
  42. sr388

sr388

Looks very nice, I am thinking that an integration with it would be very interesting :D

Thanks for suggest it, I will check more about it this week.

Regards.

StevenPicard likes this.
  43. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Good day of progress despite the hot from summer (more than 42º Celsius here....xd), including options on the action system to stop shooting and aiming fire weapons when the action is activated, like damage reactions:

Of course, the reactions can be disabled or reduce the probability of activating on any character.

Regards.

MorpheusXI, EN_Games, hopeful and 3 others like this.
  44. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have been working on the improvements for the support of generic models for the player and AI and the main structure is already complete, as I am improving different parts of it, which has been basically extend the main player controller component. Here the first results using malbers wolf pack:

This will also allow to be used as shape shifting for both player and AI (as I am using it on the video directly as an ability for example), to ride animals for both player and AI, to have pet AI and for any other interesting possibility.

Next test, extend the vehicle system to ride this good boy and any model based on animations instead of regular vehicle physics haha.

Regards.

45. hopeful

hopeful

Awwwwwesooooome! :D

sr388 likes this.
  46. Kennth

Kennth

So if or is it already there for Horse Animset Pro " integration

sr388 likes this.
  47. sr388

sr388

Glad to hear that :)

Not yet, but the improvements on the support of the generic models and the vehicle system to make it easier to extend will allow to make the integration with horse pro and other vehicle controllers quickly and reducing any possible addition as well ;)

Regards.

Kennth likes this.
  48. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have almost finished most additions to make much easier to extend the vehicle system, to simplify any integration of vehicle controllers with GKC and the elements needed to ride animals or any other object based on animations. Here a WIP riding an spider:

Tomorrow, riding the wolf :D

Regards.

49. Unleaded-Games

Unleaded-Games

Can't thank you enough again!

sr388 and Kennth like this.
  50. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Okay, this is one of my favorite things you've shown! I could actually see using this functionality.

I love the direction you're taking this! Keep it up!!

Kennth and sr388 like this.