Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.6%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

30.0%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.2%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.0%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.1%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.5%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.6%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.4%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.2%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Unfortunately, I've only discovered this great asset today. It looks awesome and surprisingly is being developed by only one busy person! With the quality and features that are already there and being planned how can I not buy this? I plan on getting this tonight.

I did have some comments and suggestions, though - and please forgive me for adding so many ideas but there is so just much potential for this asset. I've read through this thread all that you've done and are planning to add and all I could think was that this could become one of the top assets on the store. Not just as a characters controller but as a game maker in itself. Unfortunately, there are somethings missing that still make it so it cannot replace the other controllers just yet.

Camera:
    * I would love to see 2D, 2.5D and Isometric (Diablo style) cameras added.

Platformers:
    You could polish up the platformer\action\adventure game support (Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Little Big Planet, Tomb Raider, Zelda, etc.) by adding and\or improving the following:
    * Improved jumping (it seemed a little stiff and not very fluid.) Also, with triple jumping and "butt slam" (Mario 64 style.)
    * Climbing - ladders, stairs, vines, ropes, etc.
    * Ledge hanging and climbing
    * Sliding
    * Crouching
    * Crawling
    * Rope Swinging
    * Tip Toeing (a sneaky\silent walk)
    * Push\Pull
    * Pick-up and throw items (rocks, grenades, balls, etc.)

Fighters:
    * Some martial arts moves
    * Special move ability (Street Fighter, Mortal Combat style)

Vehicle:
    * Helicopter
    * Heli-backpack (whatever it's called but it's like a helicopter that straps on your back)
    * Skateboards
    * Tank
    * Boats

Adventure:
    * Dialogs
    * Quests

Do you happen to know if this supports I.C.E. Creature control? My guess is an adapter may need to be created to have it work with it.

I know you have your plate full but I just couldn't help putting these ideas out there. I didn't feel I needed to suggest Fantasy game improvements because it sounds like you have enough suggestions for that which you want to implement (awesome.)

I can see this fitting in so many of my game plans (platformer, adventure\fantasy, etc.) that I am really very excited.

Thanks,
    Steve

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    sr388 likes this.
  2. sr388

sr388

No, it is similar. The map window in the hud is an UI with a render texture used by a second camera above the player which only shows the map planes made with the map builder. All the map planes of all the floors use the same layer.

At the begining of the game, every floor is disabled, and the only activated is the closer to player global Y position. Imagine a building with 3 floors. In every floor there is its map plane above the ground, in the same height that the floor. So if the player is in the second floor, the map only shows that map floor, which is the closest to the player Y position and the others are disabled.

And like always, I explain terribly wrong xd. I have remembered this video from another asset, which I found after make the map system and it is very similar to my approach. I have to say that I haven't this asset, so I haven't copied or use it any part of it.

About the procedural levels, with some additions could be used too, but this would need to add some code parts in the builder lever, to know the position and size of every room, so the map system can take them as vertex to make every map part.

Btw; I have been searching a way to define tags and layers via script, and I have found some interesting ways. I will talk more about this soon.

Hi Steve.

I am really happy to hear that. I have to say that your comment made me smile, thanks for that and your support.

Yeah, one of my objectives is make this asset a game builder itself. And don't worry, every suggestion is very welcome and taken into account.

CAMERA
    Some of the features that you suggest are already planned, like the 2D, 2.5D camera mode (I really want to start to make the 2D system, because I love VVVVVV and I will add this gravity mode too.)

PLATFORMER
    About the platformer, I have started to add more features related to this genre, like the automatic waypoint platforms, ziplines, jump platforms, improved gravity arrows and similar. But you are very right, I want to maximize the plaftformer part of this asset as well (big fan of those games that you have said btw), taking inspiration from those games and more.

For example in the player can be already configured the number of extra jumps that you can do, so with a level system (which I will add too), this can be used to upgrade the player in the game, by allowing him to jump more times.

I want to add the rest of the platform features that you said too in future updates. I haven't added yet because before that, I wanted to focus in others parts and also my knowlegde didn't allow me to work in some of them.

COMBAT
    Also, I want to upgrade the combat system, allowing to configure easily different combos and make other enemies able to fight with the player.

VEHICLES
    My idea with vehicles is to add every type of vehicle that comes to my mind along with those suggested by people. The current vehicle list added in the asset:
    • Car
    • Motorbike
    • Hovercraft
    • Hoverboard
    • Aircraft
    • Jetpack
    And the next that I want to add are tank, helicopter and boats. Also, I want to make big ships that can carry smaller vehilces, similar to star citizen, so you land on a place, take your motorbike (or any ground vehicle) and you move around, and if you want to back to your ship, you can call it and it moves to your position.

ADVENTURE
    To start with, for this part I want to add a mission/quest system, dialogs and a level/experience system. Once that these are added, I will add any other needed or suggested.

Also, in this genre (I think that it can fit here), I want to add a customization system for the player's weapons, similar to crysis 1, where you have the weapon in front of the camera and you set every part that you want in the gun, like a laser, sights, magazine size, fire type (auto, manual, ...), lantern, suppressor, grenade launcher, etc...

AI
    About AI, I want to add support for emerald for example ( I sent a message to their developers, but they haven't answered yet, I will try again), but I could add ICE support too (I would like to talk with them too).

Also, I want to make my own AI system for the asset too, when I start to add more enemies after update 2.3.6.

I only ask people one thing. NEVER STOP TELL ME SUGGESTIONS. I used to add almost all of them to the todo list. It only helps me to improve this asset and know more opinions that my own (which sometimes is boring xd).

Again thank you for your comment and suggestions. I love that people find this asset as an useful tool to work in their projects.

Regards.

StevenPicard likes this.
  3. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I thought I'd throw these out there to add to your list. :)

Co-op and VS mode either on single screen (like Gauntlet or vertical shooter) or split screen (1-4 players like Mario Kart or Golden Eye.) Could you imagine the possibilities of a co-op Mario 64 type game? If this was added this would work great on consoles and even something like the Amazon Fire TV.

Also, since you are playing with the idea of procedural generation of levels (awesome) it probably wouldn't be too far of a stretch to added an infinite runner or infinite game style play (especially if it's seed based so sections could be persistent if needed.)

I'm going to be mentioning your asset at the Unity meeting I attend this September.

sr388 likes this.
  4. sr388

sr388

Oh yes, I hate that I haven't enough knowlegde about multiplayer for unity yet, but online will be added for sure.

This would allow to make different types of games, like racing (now that I think, I will add power up boxes for vehicles, similar to mario kart, that would be very cool), solving puzzles with another player, fights between a group of people with the gravity control (even in rooms with different gravity or changing its direction over time). I can't wait to work in that too.

That is one of the reasons why I have added gamepad compatibility, so the asset can be used in consoles too without extra parts or additions (also to allow to play in a pc with controllers too). In this way, the asset will finally have PC, consoles and mobile full support.

Respect the procedural generation, I like everything related to that topic and in a future I would like to work on that too (of course with the use of seeds), even though I need to see more info about it.

And about the meeting, thank you so much for that. I really appreciate this support and comments. You made my day sir.

Regards.

StevenPicard likes this.
  5. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I was thinking that you could initially have multi-player support that was local only using split screens (i.e. joystick only.) Once you've got most of your asset's game play mechanics worked out then on-line multiplayer would make sense.

Interestingly enough, with the latest additions to your code with the vehicles creating a kart racer is certainly possible. :)

All on one screen:

sr388 likes this.
  6. sr388

sr388

Actually, I didn't think about local multiplayer, with a split screen or a shared screen for all the players, but like you said, it is a good way to start before make the online multiplayer.

I only need to think the best way to take the input of two controllers (for example one player with the keyboard and the other with a gamepad, or both with gamepads) and know which input is applied to every player.

But I like this idea. I will work on it soon. Thanks for the suggestion ;)

7. TymNetwork

TymNetwork

Really excited about driving your hover car around. Any word on the update?
    Is there a separate package the could install the hover car into my project?

8. sr388

sr388

Hi Tym.

The update needs a little more of time (I hate delays), I am checking and polishing system by system, and at the same time adding some options to make them more useful and easy to use.

The reason I need more time is due to I was sick this month almost a week, so I couldn't work in the asset in that time. Also, now I am starting to work with unreal engine 4....it is allowed to say these works here?....just kidding. This month I will start the practices of the master and the company uses unreal in their projects.

That is why I am working slower in the update. But don't worry, I always find time to work in the asset, no matter what.

i think that in two weeks, the update could be finished.

About the separated package, I am afraid that not. But for example is easy to export a vehicle prefab and place it in your project. In the documentation will appear every script used by the vehicles, so that will make easy to select only those scripts.

Regards.

9. neoshaman

neoshaman

10. sr388

sr388

This looks really interesting. I will check all of them. Thanks for the link neoshaman.

11. Adrad

Adrad

If you do the mulitiplayer will you be adding spots in the vehicles for multiple players to be in the same vehicles. For ex. a driver for the tank. Then a gunner so on?

sr388 likes this.
  12. sr388

sr388

Hi Adrad.

Of course. I want to include that since I made the vehicle weapons system, like in games as borderlands, halo (I only have played 1 and 2) and similar.

Also, I want to make friend AI able to get in the vehicles too and shoot to any close enemy too (with an option for automatic fire in weapons if the player is driving alone, along with the manual system).

The first attempt to this will be when I start to work in the local multiplayer ( a game of 2 VS 2 local players in two vehicles, one driving and other with the weapon will by the first try).

Regards.

neoshaman and Adrad like this.
  13. TymNetwork

TymNetwork

all is quiet...lol!

14. sr388

sr388

Indeed.

Jokes aside, don't worry, I am still working in the update, making vast improvements over all the new systems (map, inventory, elevators, movable platforms), adding custom inspector to make extremelly easy its use.

Also, I have made more improvements to map system, making easier to add main objectives positions (for missions for example), without a single line of code, just by adding a scritp (map object information) with a description in the map menu, and setting their number floor, allowing to make these objectives visible in every floor of the map, or only show them in their current floor.

I want to make a video showing the whole map system, so you can see better how it works.

Finally, the gamepad compatibility in the input manager has been improved too and now every action in the input can be disabled in the inspector too (for now the gamepad doesn't use Xinput, I have made my own code, maybe for future updates I will include this library for more options like gamepad vibration, I want to know more about Xinput before that)

I am really excited with this update, being of the biggest for GTC (I wouldn't say this, but the current version is garbage compared to this update xd) and I can't wait to see it completed. Like I said, I will post soon the final list with all the new features, I still adding more options here and there.

Btw, I have already start to think how the level/experience system will work (this will be included after version 2.3.6) and I will explain more about it later.

And don't forget, that any suggestion for new features or improvements are always welcome ;)

Regards.

15. hopeful

hopeful

I like the current version, so when you say that I'm curious about the new one. :)

BTW, a leveling system sounds great!

RonnyDance and sr388 like this.
  16. sr388

sr388

I like to think in every version of the asset as iron man armors, you can like your previous mark, but the new one looks cooler, fly better and kick more (hulk) ass.

Also, I forgot to say that the weapons for the player will be included for 2.3.6. I will polish it and add a few more options, but I consider it as an alpha state feature, so at least you can see how it works, though it will have some lacks.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    RonnyDance and hopeful like this.
  17. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Can't wait to see the new version. So many stuff is coming I am very sure, that it will take weeks to test and play with everyhing ;)
    I have some questions about upcoming features we talked about. It's hard to follow the last pages because you posted so many new features ;)

Will following features be in 2.3.6 (I am just copying some wishes from my last wish post on June 16.)?
    - Different Weapon Combat Systems. And most important, not only Scien-Fi stuff: Sword, Bow / Arrows, Pistols, Spells, Shield, etc.
    - Add Hand Combat to the Asset out of the box.
    - Long time in the Wish List: Climbing Animation for the Character.
    - I remember that Dodging Animations / Teleports were also on the list?
    - Footplacement Feature is now included? :)
    - Manully Zoom Camera Feature (normaly on Mouse Wheel) would be a good addition.
    - Any other non machine riding like Horse, your "Big Bird"?

I was also wondering if Controller Support does work out of the box. I never really cared about it, but a friend of mine asked if the Controller can be switched in Game to Controller support, because Touch Support IG is possible. Just curious.

sr388 likes this.
  18. sr388

sr388

Some of these features are not added in this update to avoid a higher delay.

-Yes, different type of weapons will be added, like swords, laser sabers, bows, etc....
    -The combat system will be improved, I want to think the best way to make a combo system for it, improving the current system which has some lacks.
    -There will be a full update focused to add more animations and movements, like climbing, grab and drag big boxes, dodge, etc...
    -In the previous update, I didn't get that the foot placement work correctly, but I will take it again after this update, along with manual zoom and riding animals ;)

I don't know if I undertand this exactly. Do you mean if the keyboard control can be switched to the gamepad while you play?
    Actually, this can be done without configure or done anything, The input detects automatically if any gamepad is connected, so you can play with both at the same time for example. Also, there is no any extra code to detect a gamepad action.

For example, this code detects keyboard and gamepad input, which was the same in the previous version:

if (input.getButton ("Crouch", inputManager.buttonType.getKeyDown) ) {
    crouching ();
    }

Is it want you asked?

Regards.

19. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

When do you think you'll be able to add the Top Down\Isometric camera option? I hope to use that in my first project with your controller.

20. sr388

sr388

I will start to work on it after finishing the current update. But I think that it would need a few amount of changes and additions, since the main camera is used and displaced in a lot of actions, like shoot, aim, use devices, use the gravity control to choose a direction, ....

So, this would need these changes, like for example the player only will fire in his forward direction (similar to a twin stick game), without rotating his spine, rotate the player in the air with the movement keys to set the new gravity in his down direction, and similar.

But I want to make this type of camera too, so you can be sure that I will work on it.

StevenPicard likes this.
  21. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Awesome! Thanks!

sr388 likes this.
  22. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

First of all it's really cool to see that so many features are coming with 2.6! Specially Weapon / Combat / Animations and Zoom update! Can't wait for the update!

Yeah thats what I mean. If GTC detects a gamecontroller (IG or when starting) and you can play with the Gamecontroller. I didn't know that GTC supports Gamecontrollers, I just thought that it supports Touch Control. Gonna test it tonight with my XBox Gamepad.

sr388 likes this.
  23. sr388

sr388

What I wanted to say is that those features will be added after 2.3.6, to avoid a higher delay in the current update (they will be added, don't worry).

And about the gamepad, I was talking about the current update, the last version in the store (2.3.55) doesn't support gamepad. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

What I can do, is upload a demo/build of the current update, so you can see better every new part (though it can has some bugs ) and tell me what you think.

Regards.

24. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Don't worry, no stress my friend. Nothing is needed ASAP. I am pretty sure you have enough stuff to do for finishing 2.3.6 and everybody is waiting for this awesome release :) So just keep working on your release it was just important to know when and if the features are already planed.

Cheers
    Ronny

sr388 likes this.
  25. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I just want to show you a quick video using a gamepad, in this case, a xbox one controller.

As you can see, every button and axis of the gamepad can be used as input, for any action, configurable in the inspector and soon in game too.

The asset detects automatically if a gamepad is connected to use it without need to enable any option, so it is plug and play. Also, you can see that when the mouse has to be used, the left or right joystick allows to move the mouse cursor through the screen, to make easier to use any button or menu in the game, along with a button to simulate a mouse press.

Finally, the controls are very responsive, without any type of lag, and like the current input manager, it detects press, hold and release actions.

Hope you like it.

Regards.

JoelAcuna, Razmot, RonnyDance and 2 others like this.
  26. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I only want to show you the final feature list for update 2.3.6. Maybe, the update can include a few more features than in the list, but it is practically all the new stuff. I have to explain better every feature, but I don't want to bore you (yet) with that. Also, when I make the video, you will can see better all of them. Anyway, here is the list:
    • Weapon mode in first and third person, with HUD in screen and in the weapons and ammo pickups, with procedural animations to draw the weapon, aim, shoot and recoil
    • Inventory system, with menu to manage it, you can use, drop or equip objects. You can unlock doors with it, connect a mechanism with a missing piece, power a device, etc..
    • Improved player camera, with configurable states and very customizable.
    • Rotate grabbed objects in aim mode and open/close doors with physics (similar to SOMA or Amnesia)
    • Improved procedural elevator system, with buttons to call it in every floor, elevator cabin and doors and a panel to select any floor to move
    • New vehicles: hovercrarft, hoverboard, aircraft and sphere (like metroid prime controller)
    • Procedural Map system with compass, setting markers in it, showing icons for any kind of object (doors, elevator, chests, enemies, ...), with configurable info for everyone and showing different floors. Every icon can be showed only in its floor too
    • The map system allows to build easily custom tiles for every room of the scene and configure different floors
    • Map menu to look every floor, zoom in and out and set different objectives in screen and in map, with multiple targets in screen
    • Improved input manager, now every action can be enabled/disabled aling with gamepad support with rebinding buttons and axis, Also, gamepad is able to move the pc cursor to use menus and system of the asset (like code panels, computers, etc...)
    • New custom editor with easier editable list for different components
    • Fly mode, jetpack and new fuel pickup
    • New fixed camera in vehicles
    • Save/load game system, storing the scene, the position of the player to respawn, the savedate, the total play time and a screen capture to show in every slot
    • Improved foot steps system, along with footprints and dust particles in every step
    • Procedural ziplines
    • Gravity arrows for any object
    • Jump platforms for player, objects and vehicles, which can make to jump automatically or increase the jump power while the player/vehicle is inside that platform
    • Breakable crates with pickups or empty
    • Procedural rail system for the hoverboard
    • Pressure plate physics based to trigger any object (doors for example)
    • Configurable number of extra jumps for the player, along with an option to slow the fall velocity by holding/releasing the jump key
    • Improved player's death in first/third person and following of the camera
    • Procedural moving platforms with waypoints easy configuration and a lot of options
    • Improved damage screen for the player
    • Damage screen system to show with numbers every damage received (similar to borderlands) with a lot of options to configure, like number size, color, movement, fading speed, etc... Also, it shows when it receives healing
    • Damage and heal triggers for player, enemies and vehicles
    • Now, vehicles can damage enemies too by hitting them
    • Chest with random content
    • Icon place below the player to show exactly the place where he will land after a fall/jump
    • Emerald integration, allowing to receive and apply damage between character/animals and player
    • Improved touch controls. Now the joystick can be resized in editor and in game. Also, colors can be configured for every touch button and joystick for press, hold and release
    • Improved health system for no human characters, like monster with a lot of arms, robots with a non human saphe, etc.., allowing to place any number of collider to improve the damage detection, along with weak spots, which will apply a higher damage, like shoot in the head, upper body, a battery of a robot, etc... Also, for player and characters can be configured weak spots too with none extra colliders needed, only the actual capsule collider for every of them
    • Simple AI friend to follow the player using navmesh
    • Teleportation platforms
    • Lot of fixes, improvements and optimizations

I am really proud of these changes and additions :D Any doubt or questions about them, feel free to ask.

Also, I have updated the main post with this list and new features to future versions. Back to the workcave.

Regards.

neoshaman, StevenPicard and hopeful like this.
  27. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Amazing work! Hopefully, I.C. E. Creature Control integration will come, as well, but I can't complain with the amount of work you've done on this! :)

sr388 likes this.
  28. neoshaman

neoshaman

If you have too many thing and don't want to bore people, put the extra into a spoiler tag for the nerd like me :D

sr388 and StevenPicard like this.
  29. sr388

sr388

Yes. After 2.3.6, I want to check ICE to see what it does and how, so I can integrate too, allowing to use other AI systems directly with GTC.

Don't worry, I will complete this list soon, I always like to explain every feature in detail.

Btw, I will change the asset name for update 2.3.6. If I don't find a better name before, the new name will be All in One Gamekit Controller (AOGC), to show better what the asset does.

Regards.

RonnyDance, hopeful and StevenPicard like this.
  30. hopeful

hopeful

So many great things!

When is it coming out? ;)

RonnyDance likes this.
  31. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I like that. :cool:

32. sr388

sr388

Thanks. I want to release it before the end of september. I will work on it as hard as I can ;)

33. Brandon_Powell

Brandon_Powell

Hi, i was going over older posts in here and had a question i couldn't find anyone else who asked it. in your Gravity Theory game... how did you accomplish the scaling effect in the lab? i could not quite tell if it was actually re-scaling the character or a trick with portals and clever level design. Any chance of that effect in future updates or as a seperate asset? BTW, a forced perspective tool like in Portal would be a nice fit with the GTC

34. sr388

sr388

It is a re-scaling of the player, according to the distance from him to the other side of the "tunnel" where he was walking. It works in both directions, making him grow or shrink. It was easier to make than change all the level scale or another way, but looks cool like that.

I want to add this mechanic, because I like how it works (when I saw the film Ant-man it remembered me this mechanic haha).

The bad part is that some code parts would need to know the actual scale of the player to work properly (rays distance for example), along with scaling particles and controller parameters, like jumpforce and similar.

But this will be included, you can be sure.

Btw, I took the idea from Prey, a game from 2006 who already played with portal and interesting mechanics, like gravity walls, circumnavigate objects and portals. In this video you can see the re-scaling mechanic a little different (minute 7):

And about the portals, yeah, I want to add a portals gun, that works with physics (I will add teleportation platforms in this update, but without seing the other side). After that, I would like to try to make visible the other side of portals (I love portal 1 and 2, because I am a potato).

Regards and start to think with portals.

neoshaman likes this.
  35. Brandon_Powell

Brandon_Powell

Oh, wow, that looks cool!! keep up the good work, i cannot wait for the spaceships! also, the cake is a lie, but your skills are very real!!

sr388 likes this.
  36. Brandon_Powell

Brandon_Powell

I was wondering if there is a way to use GTC to get spherical gravity fields? the sphere walk and gravity direction powers are awesome but when i use a planet with terrain, the player ends up standing sideways on hills etc. i was hoping to set up a game where a player travels between worlds and when on planets, and i want them to move more like a mario galaxy style controller. i attempted to add the scripts from this free asset: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/65682, with no success. what i was hoping to achieve was a method to point the character's down transform (or that of enemies, vehicles, etc that should remain upright) to the center of a sphere collider, and apply a gravity force while in the field (i belive it should be straightforward for me to disable the gravity change power on entering the gravity collider by attaching the same script as the gravity power off field in the demo?). Any advice would be a big help, and thanks again for your time and for your AWESOME asset.

P.S., quick glitch to report, occasionally when changing gravity directions in a vehicle, the character becomes detached from the seat and ends up standing through the vehicle at an odd angle until you exit and re-enter the vehicle.. i don't have the capability to record it, but i will try to reproduce the error and isolate specifically what i am doing that triggers it.

sr388 and neoshaman like this.
  37. sr388

sr388

Hi Brandon.

Thanks to you too for the great feedback.

Sorry for the late reply. Until 2 or 3 days I wont have wifi, I am using 3g with all the data used xd.

Yes, I know what you wan to make. It is something that I want to add since some time.

With it, the player could walk in planets using the center of that planet as gravity point, instead of using the collider normal. Like this, the gravity system would be more completed.

I will start to work in this after the current update, and if you want, once it is done, I can show how to add it, so you have not to wait for that update. But before that, I will think a way to do it and tell you asap.

About the bug in vehicles, it never happened to me, but I think that I have found the cause. In vehicles, the position of the player inside of them is update every frame, instead of just once. I have change that, so maybe it is fixed, but if you can replicate it, tell me. Thanks for that.

Btw, the AI in the asset alreay can use mecanim, follow any target, shoot at them with projectiles fired by weapons using ik, detect other characters (player, enemies, friends). has procedural ragdolls, using when they die and if they receive more than x damage, getting up after a time, the player can grab and carry them in ragdoll state (this is really fun to do xd), you can configure a lot of options in its weapon, like fire rate, damage, etc....

It is cool to place some enemies and friends and let them fight. I will also waypoints patrols and a menu to order to every friend AI an action.

Also the health system has been improved, allowing to have a really accurated damage detection, to check if the damage was made in the head, body, limbs, with damage multiplier spots, so you can place easily weak or strong spots, with a custom editor which shows these places visually.

I cant wait to show them to you. I will try to make a video this week to show it to you, along with other parts, like the map system.

Regards (written from my phone).

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  38. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I like the idea of the center of a sphere (or maybe, any object?) having its own gravity. Good suggestion Brandon. :)

Maybe this has already been answered but can the player be set to levitate or hover? This would be a cool feature. How high and how long the player could levitate or hover could open a lot of game play mechanics potential (for dodging, reaching high things, making longer jumps based on power-ups, etc. And perhaps the power-up have the option to last only a specified amount of time, and/or, collecting multiple increases the height and length of time the player can hover or levitate?)

With the above suggestion and I.C.E. Creature Control integration I could start on my first game with this asset.

EDITED TO ADD: No rush just yet on the above two. I am finishing up two 2D games. After that I will be working with this asset extensively.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    sr388 likes this.
  39. neoshaman

neoshaman

I hope there is an interface to set the global gravity in more complex fashion, what about ring or torus or any arbitrary gravity form? :D

sr388 likes this.
  40. sr388

sr388

Hi. Sorry again for the late reply. I tried to enter in the forum to answer, but it didn't load due to my connection. But finally, I have wifi again (yaihhhhh).

Well, in the current update, the player can decrease the gravity force when he is falling by holding the jump button, along with the option to configure any amount of extra jumps, which can be similar to what you say. Also, there is a jetpack included too. I don't know it this could cover these mechanics or not.

For example, the system in the hoverboard uses those options that you mention, like height and power for the levitation. So this could be adapted to the player as well.

Also, I want to add objects that could refill these number of jumps and jetpack fuel and impulse the player as well, similar to some platforms in Recore, so you can reach those objects and make extra (extra) jumps, improving the platform section of the asset.

And don't worry, tell me any kind of suggestion that you could imagine. It helps me a lot. I will start to work in adding ICE integration after this update.

Actually, you can walk in these kind of objects. The current gravity system is made to work with this kind of irregular shapes, where a gravity center wouldn't work. The left part is add the system to use a gravity center, for little planets objects for example, or anything with a viable gravity center.

But yes, I will improve the gravity system with more options, it is a very important feature for me.

Btw, I have already added the waypoint patrols and a menu for the AI friends found by the player, so you can order them to attack the closest and visible enemy, wait in their current position and follow the player. These orders can be done to one friend or to all at once.

Regards.

41. neoshaman

neoshaman

Oh walking on irregular shape is not the problem at all lol, but if you have a earth size halo (or even smaller), you want mountain and wall to still be mountain and wall, not to walk on them like a spider!

BTW I couldn't wait so after posting I made some quick experiment with earth size objects. Making them or even managing the LOD is really not the problem at all. That felt trivial contrast to actually interacting on them like it is a flat terrain, I haven't been able to make something that work with the scale of 10 000km radius :p or even less, it seems generating and managing collision is less trivial, which also impact scattering and population of gameplay elements on that surface. At least with a quick dumb prototype it does not work out of the box.

sr388 likes this.
  42. sr388

sr388

Ahm, ok, I misunderstood you. I have been thinking a way to achieve that system since I saw games with walkable planets like no man's sky, start citizen, space enginiers,.... and I haven't found it yet. For example, like you say, a halo like in the game series wouldn't use a gravity center to work, neither the normal of the surface below the player, to avoid climb like a spider.

So, I don't know if these games use real planet scale objects to move, or if they use a trick, and actually they use flat and horizontal surfaces to walk.

I think that in other games, like mario galaxy, they use the center of those planets as gravity center, which it is easier to make and work well in little planets.

But I still want to find a way to make this, for curiosity and to improve the gravity system.

43. Razmot

Razmot

To not have to recode everything, no man's sky and empyrion (maybe some others) use a flat terrain and switch to a planetary representation when you get to space.

Space engineers has a real spherical terrain, but they have their own game engine so anyway they code everything from scratch.

This https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/3151 is abandonned and has no colliders .

This works good : https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/30263 large scale, with "floating origin" tricks to move the world around instead of moving the player. Maybe you could try to integrate it !

sr388 likes this.
  44. neoshaman

neoshaman

Well would you mind if I share my finding when I come across them? I have been thinking about this a lot, though I couldn't implement it as I'm already working on something. I think they are legit planet, in fact for planet it's easy, you align gravity to the center, sphere is easy, surface is implicit.

Now ring is a bit more complex, you must find the axis, if it's aligned to world axis it's easy, you basically just omit one axis and resolve the center of the circle around the axis, then point in the opposite direction (basically repelling) if it's below a point and attract if it's above (basically the surface of the cylindrical form, some bound check to handle the width of the ring and some global distance check to cancel gravity all along.

But what if you want arbitrary surfaces?
    I haven't tried it yet but this http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/terrain-system-for-circuits-r2729 and this http://blog.gludion.com/2009/08/distance-to-quadratic-bezier-curve.html basically it allow to line and surface to be "center". Which show we actually have two cases, membrane gravity (like ring, you can be inside the shape and gravity applies toward the surface) or center gravity (you fall all the way inside the shape to the closest "center"). Membrane is basically a distance threshold toward the center where gravity is reverse when inside the shape, so we can generalized both type ... We can go exotic by composing bound and all too.

I'm not sure about that at all, they have presentation where they implied the contrary. I don't know for empyrion at all. There is many reason for this to not be the likely case, one of them is the use of inflated cube technique, which mean at poles (there is 8 of them with inflated cube at each corner) you will have massive math headaches to handle.

edit:
    I think the proper way to deal with the problem is to start with surface of the planet and build LOD need from there, starting with the whole sphere as seen in space and trying to narrow down seems to create more hassle because you start with an unsuitable form for interaction (no interaction in space).

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    sr388 likes this.
  45. sr388

sr388

I saw the second asset time ago, I find it really impressive. The bad part is that they are not an universal system, which would work with any surface to mve. That is the main problem to solve.

Sure neoshaman, feel free to post this kind of info, which I find really interesting and useful. I like to know that more people are thinking about how this system would work.

One of the problem is what you said, a way to achieve a correct gravity in any kind of shapes, planets, rings, asteroids, etc...Also, to use LOD, like other games use when you are moving towards the planet.

I will check those links and tell about them asap. Thanks for that info.

Regards.

neoshaman likes this.
  46. sr388

sr388

Quick video showing the AI for the asset:

47. Brandon_Powell

Brandon_Powell

That looks Incredible!! Did i read earlier mention of flying AI? if not, consider it suggested. Your awesome looking AI orders system, combined with the great eagle mount you spoke of.,... the possibilities stagger the mind.... "Lord of The Rings Part 7: Revenge of the Great Eagles" or "Falconry Simulator"

sr388 likes this.
  48. neoshaman

neoshaman

Here is my research express (I did have some reference though).

That's one part where I'm not sure about how most game do, they use quadtree.

Problem is that quadtree is scale invariant, that is for bigger planet you will have more level of subdivision to have the same ground resolution ie more polygon generated and wasted. You still have to deal with floating origin to keep precision around the player.

The realization is that view resolution range for LOD is invariant around the player (at constant FOV, changing the fov might change the LOD resolutions). So as planet scale, the view details around the player don't need to scale with it.

So there is a lot of optimization we can do.

Inflated cube is mostly used, it's very easy to do naively. Basically, after tessellating, you normalize all vertex positions vector from the center of the sphere, then scale it to the desired radius, then add the noise offset if it's an heightmap, if voxel you simply fill the chunk as desired and build it at offset interval. In order to avoid complicated stitching issue, it is often recommended to use 3D noise that takes the vertex's inflated position as input to generate the surface variations.

Less naively you have a problem, if you look closely the inflated square area on the surface, they are bigger on the middle and squished at the corner, they don't have the same area, hence not the same resolution, there is a formula to correct that allow for more regular area overall for uniform mapping:
    http://catlikecoding.com/unity/tutorials/cube-sphere/
    https://www.shaneenishry.com/blog/2014/08/01/planet-generation-part-i/
    http://mathproofs.blogspot.co.uk/2005/07/mapping-cube-to-sphere.html
    http://johnwhigham.blogspot.com/2010/11/continuing-theme-of-procedurally.html

If heightmap it makes collision extra "simple", as in you can sample the ground height using the radius, the direction of the center (direction of gravity) and the noise sampling at that exact position, which give smooth collision surface simulated. Now depending on the resolution of the hightmap, you would want to sample at terrain vertex interval and interpolate linearly to get the actual position so the character is sync with the slope of polygon and not hover above or below because the sample is smoother than the visual mesh.

If you are going voxel, you will have to build a mesh collider of some sort.

Voxel in general is a bit harder because of LOD, the only smooth voxel algorythm I know that support some sort of LOD is dual contouring, which also allow for smooth to sharp feature and avoid the bloby nature of marching square.
    http://ngildea.blogspot.com/2014/09/dual-contouring-chunked-terrain.html
    https://upvoid.com/devblog/2013/05/terrain-engine-part-1-dual-contouring/
    https://upvoid.com/devblog/2013/07/terrain-engine-part-2-volume-generation-and-the-csg-tree/
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6485908/basic-dual-contouring-theory code in python
    https://swiftcoder.wordpress.com/planets/isosurface-extraction/

You will need to generate proper collision mesh I think. Though just because it is voxel don't mean you need to have small voxel resolution for precision, big voxel can do wonder as you maybe add perturbation directly to the surface of the generated mesh and let the voxel for big features. You can also mix heightmap and voxel by having a bedrock heightmap, with layer of voxel data on top, and with mesh generated "parallel" to the bedrock (which might use even lower frequency smooth data, I think they use this in no man sky).

Now there is other method that the inflated cube to make planet:
    http://www.gamedev.net/page/resourc...ory/procedural-planets-part-1-structure-r2074
    But the reason we use the cube is how convenient it is, once we have identified the face of the cube we can practically use euclidian coordinates, which make it a bit more compatible with existing workflows for handcraft or usual terrain, though problem still can happen at edges and corner between faces to translate coordinate between faces.

But the main thing we can take advantage of the fact that each square face is very friendly to tiling. Basically instead of using a quadtree we can take advantage of tile to find the relative position of the player and subdivide tile accordingly. With the bigger the planet the more tiles (or meta tiles) he has on each face to keep resolution friendly to details. Each meta tiles (the highest tile size that will be subdivided) will be proportional to the radius of the view radius around the player.

very interesting devlog
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/wi...d-hopefully-rift-support.202911/#post-2145351 determining visibility

Other stuff
    http://outerra.blogspot.com/2009/05/horizontal-displacement.html
    There is surely many articles to lift from tis blog, but I'm placing it as a reference here.

sr388 likes this.
  49. sr388

sr388

Thanks. I think that you are talking about the first animal to be controlled by the player, like vehicles but being a character with mecanim instead of a machine, which I said it would be a bird.

Haha, that title about LOTR sounds great. Flying AI will be included too in future updates and I want to implement herds behaviour too, so it could work.

Wow, that is an amazing amount of info. I used to see the tutorials of catlikecoding about procedural generation, though I am very newbie in this field. But I am gathering information about it to have a start point in a future, so this is very handy.

The penultimate link is very interesting, talking about the scale and floating point precision for transform position (another thing that I didn't consider before).

For example, this tutorial series about procedural terrain generation is really cool and interesting (This channel has more videos about unity really useful):

Regards.

50. neoshaman

neoshaman

Yeah I focused mostly on the planet with collision part and left galaxy generation, other gameplay consideration (rotating planet moving around a sun), basic terrain consideration , and other stuff, I left them out on purpose!