Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.6%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

30.0%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.2%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.0%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.1%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.5%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.6%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.4%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.2%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

My game is mostly first-person but I have some limited vehicles and rail stuff (minecarts basically) in third person mode that I've been trying in vain to get to cooperate with UFPS, and you've already got a whole system that does all that pretty flawlessly. And you've even got jetpacks before I had to write my own. ;) But even with just the first-person part of your controller, I think it outshines UFPS in quite a few areas. The gravity control is great and you seem to be implementing new stuff super fast. I think your projectile and physics are pretty great and I'm impressed that it looks like you have bullet tracers and spread, reloading and ammo all working... it took like three years just for UFPS to get a basic grenade, and they still don't have out-of-the-box physical projectiles or bullet tracers. Keep up the good work! :)

sr388 likes this.
  2. Brandon_Powell

Brandon_Powell

This asset is amazing!! every time i look there are more features.... The 2 features i haven't seen mentioned that i could wish for are crafting and modular construction (i.e. rust etc) . even without those features this is already one of the most incredible assets on the store!

sr388 likes this.
  3. sr388

sr388

Thanks makeshiftwings for your comment, I really appreciate the interest for my work.

Yes, I love anything related to physics, so anything that could use it, I want to do it and add it in the asset. That is the one of the reasons why I started this asset, because most of the things that I wanted/liked were spread between differents asset or even hadn't them.

Also, I like how gravity rush (I love that game) works, so I made its behaviour and from there I started to build a whole game system, with anything useful for a game.

I use this asset as a way to learn more about unity and videogames, so at the same time that I get knowlegde and fun, I can share what I get with more people ( and earn my first money as developer, haha).

Btw, I am going to add a train system with manual and automatic paths, so you can get in a train and drive it, setting the next direction, velocity, etc... (similar to how it works in half life 1) along with procedural rails (like in the last preview video) with different paths.

Hi Brandon_Powell and thank you.

The inventory could allow some crafting too.

I have in mind some similar system, to build some structures.

Also, some time ago, I started to make an asset with a construction system for vehicles, similar to besiege, based in physics and now that I have seen scrap mechanic, I would like to mix both game mechanics, so you can build structures and vehicles at will. I want to make this part as a separated asset, but fully compatible with gravity twist controller. But GTC could have a construction system too.

Thanks again to both for your opinion, this kind of post always makes me smile.

Regards.

4. TonanBora

TonanBora

Suggestion Sr, don't directly modify the Standard Assets.
    I just imported this nice looking asset, and got some conflict with the normal standard assets I already had in my project.

Make a copy, and modify that, namely, the FreeLookCam (whose name you changed to playerCamera), and the ThirdPersonController (who's name you changed too playerController). Better yet, just have your modified visions inherit from the respective classes, since you will just be reusing quite a bit of code anyway.
    At the very least, change the name of the script if you are changing the name of the classes. ;)

This will avoid any conflicts between already existing Standard Assets, and the ones you have modified.

5. sr388

sr388

Hi TonanBora.

I noticed this problem and it seems due to I used those two scripts when I began the asset a couple of years ago, as a base to start and finally I renamed it to avoid problems with the original scripts. It seems that some reference still existing, even if the file name and name in the code are different.

I can't use the classes from FreeLookCam and ThirdPersonController because the code is completely different from the original and also I am adding changes in them in every update.

But I will fix this, just by creating new C# files, which is what I should had done from the beginning.

Thanks for telling me these kind of issues.

Regards.

Brandon_Powell likes this.
  6. hopeful

hopeful

I'm guessing it must be some sort of GUID / meta file issue ...?

7. sr388

sr388

It is very probably. Some file or configuration in the project thinks that both file still being the original. But I am going to fix it right now, by creating new files and moving the code.

EDIT: Ok problem solved, the new files have been created and I have made a test, importing the standard assets in the asset and now there are no problems with the script names. So the version 2.3.6 will fix this problem with the importing.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  8. Brandon_Powell

Brandon_Powell

Oh, Myyyy...... I would buy that asset for sure... although honestly, with the quality of GTC I will probably buy every asset you upload just for the educational value.

sr388 likes this.
  9. sr388

sr388

Wow, thank you very much Brandon_Powell, it is an honor for me. I have a couple of assets that I would like to start to work soon.

I want to make a quick video showing that project. It is in early development, and it is much more simple that besiege, with only a few different pieces, but it is cool and I had a lot of fun while I was working on it. Also, it is fully mobile compatible, with the same touch controls that GTC.

But I have a long list of things and improvements that I will add to that project.

neoshaman and Brandon_Powell like this.
  10. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Just a quick update. I have create a new screen damage system, placing the old code that I used in a new separated script.

Now, it shows the damage direction of every enemy that hurt the player (before it only showed the last one) and a second icon show the position of these enemies if they are visible in the screen, else the direction arrow icons are showed.

It has a lot of options to configure, like enable and disable it, the max fade to damage value, the color of the direction and position icons, the color of the damage screen, the speed to fade the screen to the damage color and to fade it to transparent, the time to clean the screen once the player is not being damaged, if the position of the enemies are showed or not when their are visible in the screen, etc.... More options will be added.

Here a gif of it (the gif doen't show the whole screen, just a part of it):

Animation.gif

Regards.

hopeful and Adrad like this.
  11. hopeful

hopeful

Do these directions track in 3D, like will they show an attack from above?

12. uni7y

uni7y

Hi,

I read in a review that you will implement the Emerald AI integration is that correct? if so then I must buy you cool asset :)

sr388 likes this.
  13. sr388

sr388

Of course, it shows every attack from any direction, above or below. It uses global positions and directions. Here another gif:
    Animation10.gif
    Yes, one user wanted to combine the health system and the damage detection of both assets, and with a couple of code lines, both assets can work together.

I will talk with emerald developers to ask them if they are agree with that addition.

Regards

Lohrion likes this.
  14. uni7y

uni7y

Great! thanks for that! Just bought it so it is time to play now :)

sr388 likes this.
  15. sr388

sr388

Thanks to you for your purchase, hope you enjoy it.

16. uni7y

uni7y

Well I did play with it for a couple of hours (have not that much time now) and I must say I love it very much!! there is only one thing that is not correct in this asset, it is much to cheap!!! so many things and tools for just 20 USD unbelievable :) thanks for that!

sr388 likes this.
  17. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Price is going to increase with upcoming version as sr88 mentioned some posts before. :cool:

18. uni7y

uni7y

OK, missed that one :) well then I'm glad I just bought it ;) This is really worth a lot more than 20 USD

19. sr388

sr388

Thanks for telling me this spotdot2. I am really glad that people find this asset useful and funny to play at the same time. I have a lot of fun while I work on it (and quite times frustration and a little rage xd), programming these mechanics is like another type of game for me.

Ronny is right, the price will be changed. There is a funny story about the price. When version 2.3.5 was going to be released, I set the price in the draft to 25$ instead of 20$, but it seems that to some issue, the price didn't change. Before I was able to change the price, I received the message about my asset was going to be put on sale, and they give the advice to not change the price before the sale and two months later (not big deal).

So, until september, I will keep the same price for the asset. Once it can be changed, I will set a price between 25-30$, taking in account that before that, the version 2.3.6 will be released, which along with the showed features and new ones, it will have a lot of improvements.

In conclusion, buy it before that happens....fly you fools haha.

Regards.

Brandon_Powell likes this.
  20. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Like I said, I have made a video about the modular construction system to build physics based objects, like cars, planes, etc... I started to make it some time ago just to try to make that kind of system in unity.

As you can see, its state is very early, being a pre alpha and it has some issues, but you can get an idea of how the system would work.

I will make a lot of improvements and additions, like wheel colliders, better controls, more type of pieces with different shapes, so it will allow to create any type of estructure, vehicle, load/save constructions, etc.. It will be like a mix of besiege and scrap mechanic.

This system will be an asset that will be totally compatible with Gravity Twist Controller and the gravity system as well.

Any thoughts about the video, feel free to tell.

Also, I have been working in a new vehicle for GTC, an aircraft, with vertical landing and takeoff, and which can land in any place, adhering to that surface. Also, it has UI screens inside the cabin, to show info of the ship, like a compass, altitude, velocity, coordinates, damages, weapons info, etc...

And like other vehicles, it uses IK to move player arms according to the input controls, rotating this time a couple of joysticks in the cabin. Also, I want to include new actions, like eject the player, change the movement of the ship in the opposite direction and barrel rolls.

I will post very soon a couple of gifs of the aircraft. I think it will very cool.

Regards.

Brandon_Powell and hopeful like this.
  21. uni7y

uni7y

Sounds very interesting! can't wait for the gifs and the release :)

sr388 likes this.
  22. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

The aircraft is almost completed. Only needs some tweaks here and there. It has two types of controls, non realistic (rotate the ship in every axis using WASD and QE, with no gravity down force, like space controls) and realistic (the ship balances in the air, it has some aerodynamics, the gravity down force is active,....) A shake camera component has been added to vehicles, so when the boost is being used or accelerating the movement of the gravity control, the camera is shaken.

Also, it has a marker to show if the ship can land or not, placed below the ship.

I have to add some parts yet, like the barrel roll, the change of movement in the opposite direction and some type of 3d radar that I would like to place in the central screen of the ship. Also, when the ship is landing, I will make the velocity decreases to zero, instead of stop at once.

Animation34.gif
    Animation77.gif
    Animation100.gif
    Animation300004.gif

Also, I have added a new system to show damage numbers in player, vehicles, enemies, npcs, anything. It looks like in borderlands, showing numbers with a color for damage and with other color for healing. These colors, the fading speed, numbers size, random position instantiate and the movement velocity can be configured too.

Animation.gif
    Regards.

23. neoshaman

neoshaman

Damn the watch thread feature didn't update me on this thread ... there goes no man sky too lol. I wonder if you would start a planetary system at some point too (those on the asset store are imcomplete), nothing seems to stop you at that point lol

sr388 likes this.
  24. sr388

sr388

Hahaha, did you notice that the ship looks similar to one from no man's sky? I wonder if someone would say it. I took part of the inspiration from that game to design the model, controls, actions like landing or take off and the screens inside aircraft's cabin. At least what I thought what controls should be for this kind of vehicle.

In fact, I have tried the game, and it is nice. It is more or less what I expected, taking in account the info that developers have been shown in these years, but I expected a little different game when it was revealed.

I find the ship controls in no man's sky a little weird at the begining, but it is easy to get used to them. The controls that I have made for the aircraft are a little different, using the keyboard instead the mouse to change the movement direction, so the camera can be freely controled.

In other update, I will include an option to use the mouse to control it.

About the planetary system, it is something that I really would like to try. My main objective with this asset is to learn every aspect of a videogame, and one of it is the procedural generation. The new map system from the asset already use a procedural system to make every plane of every room of every floor of the level.

Of course this is simpler than a planet. But yes, one day I will start to work in this type of system.

Btw, I am working in a new camera system, much better and simpler that the old one. This new camera allows to define different camera states, to set different camera positions according to the action of the player, like aim, change to third/first person, crouch, etc... This allows to simplify a lot of code too.

Regards.

EvilGremlin and hopeful like this.
  25. neoshaman

neoshaman

Ahahaha, I mention planet system as kind of a joke but well if you do this why not :p
    I always wanted to make a game like no man sky but with more npc, more like mass effect x mount and blade at a galatic level lol. I have documented these things for 10 years, I already know the common pitfall, and I focus much more in developing a great progression structure with a better distributed level design structure than current game.

Most game use random distribution as replacement for a lot of thing they really shouldn't, giving really naive level. Not a lot of thought is done with encounter, situation, story and behavior design, instead they boast about big number and vast space. I think we can do better!

But currently I'm nor doing that and I'm dying inside lol, the current game I'm making don't allow me to play with this kind of thing :(

sr388 likes this.
  26. sr388

sr388

Yeah, I really feel that no man's sky needs more game parts (though I haven't played too much time yet), like:
    • A bigger story (I know it has an story, but maybe one with more weight in the game).
    • A construction system (you can store a lot of elements, why not build physical objects, like cars, motorbikes, hovercrafts, boats, ...buildings, your own space station, where you store your ships)
    • Bigger space stations (maybe some city inside of some of them), where you can obtain missions and rewards, maybe investigate some uninhabited
    • Humans NPCs (or other races which already speak your language), so you can get some AI partner in some missions, or hired one as help, or his ship.
    • Cities in planets, in other case, the planets looks a little empty (I know that this is more difficult)
    • Actual multiplayer.
    • And more...
    I know, the game is done by a 15 people team, which is admirable, but these additions could make the world beyond perfection. It is a mix between no man's sky, space engineers, star citizen, mass effect and (maybe) scrap mechanic and a little of borderlands. (I should write in some paper that combination for a game xd).

They could ask some people to sony to work exclusively on these parts, lets see how their updates go.

I totally understand you, like when you are working in something, and your head is thinking in another project, but you can't work in it yet.

27. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

Not to go too far off-topic but what you are looking for is Star Citizen.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

sr388 likes this.
  28. sr388

sr388

Don't worry, a little off-topic doesn't hurt anyone and it is welcome. Yes, it was one of the games that I said: no man's sky, space engineers, star citizen, mass effect....

I really like the idea of Star Citizen, and how they add every part game in modules, so in any moment, they can update the game adding a new whole mechinic. It is one of the games that I look to get ideas and create new features, or see how it would be the best way to make a mechanic/system/part.....in the asset.

29. neoshaman

neoshaman

I don't have problem with barren planet at all, because that's not the only kind of planet, they are there to feel the idea of space exploration, it's like having desert, and the game have quick in quick out of planet so you only spend 30s seeing and discarding a planet you don't like and focus on one you like. But yeah procedural mass effect + skyrim/fallout +planetary gta is still the graal. I don't think it's that hard to achieve except on performance and polish (good animations with variety).

For swtor they develop a way to have automated cinematics, the pdf are online, so that part is secured. The code for decent city generation is online too, though this one is tricky if you want "local generation" and on top have scheduled unique npc, the latter I worked on solving it though, so you could have infinite unique stateless npc with unique events that interact with each other through infinite history!

BUT i think no man sky didn't set up to be mainstream to begin with, it was aim at space loving people who enjoy walking simulation (ie enjoy the scenery while doing menial task for guidance). Those people are super happy. They tacked on constant engagement mechanics (those annoying milestones) to keep the what do you do crowd happy (they aren't) as they focus more on goal and disregard the scenery, they also increased the frequency of life on planet and also the number of POI turning the game into a ubi soft game, so littered with "tower" and "icones".

Being originally hardcore niche game based on discovery, I think they also drip fed the evolution of complexity in order to create the surprise, I have seen people deep in the game seeing a new kind of spaceport, more complex than the one we usually see and they were legit in awe. Given there is 8 aliens races and we only have seen 3 (korvax, kek, vy'keen) and we are still at the first galaxy, I'm sure there is much more to see up to 1000h of game. Personally the game is exactly what I think it would be.

Also let's add to the list of game who attempt similar thing:

30. sr388

sr388

Yeah, the idea of a fallout/skyrim/mass effect scifi at solar/galatic/universal level is something that I have wanted since ever, and hopefully we will get it soon (+/- 5 years I bet).

I didn't know that about swtor, it sounds really cool.

Like you said, no man's sky skips some of these parts, and it prefers to be a more relaxing game. I understand the player sector where no man's sky is focused, it is not a game for anyone. I like the game, it is very original, complex enough and it opens the doors to others developers to start to use more procedural system in their games.

I remember the games in the videos, I saw them when they were revealed and I completly forgot them until now, thanks for make me remember them. I like a lot the concept and mechanics of both games. With this variety, people can choose the gameplay who find more interesting.

I would say that xenoblade chronicles x has a similar genre (with a part of rpg too) and maybe can be included in this list.

31. neoshaman

neoshaman

Yeah I remember when no man's sky got big and that the new mass effect was delay soon after (I hope they fall for the hype and tried to one up it!), I wonder if they were looking into that, that would be a major push to see a true AAA studio tackle the problem with their resources! I'm still mad at the scene for not aping more from the nemesis system of shadow of mordor, which would be a perfect fit for this type of game.

Though there is an inherent gameplay contradiction with constructing a base and the scale of planet size planet on a full size universe, with seamless planet hoping! I think a space opera/fantasy structure is more suitable ... though a flying base might works :D

Swtor is the star wars mmo in case you don't know: I'm referring to these talk in particular
    http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1012460/Automated-Emotion-Facial-Animation-in
    http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1014362/Cinematic-Character-Lighting-in-STAR
    Which is now standard in the industry (witcher 3 use a similar system)

32. sr388

sr388

Sorry, I didn't see the reply message in gmail -.-

The nemesis system is really cool, and more games should use it, the next mass effect could be perfect for it. And yes, I know swtor, what I didn't know is the system that they use (the one in the talks that you post) for animations, which is really interesting and impressive at the same time. Combining all this procedural systems (along with the one from no man's sky and similar) in one game could make a big and (practically) infinite adventure.

Btw, the new camera system for GTC is almost finished, it only needs a few adjustments and add it to the vehicles. Also, I have created triggers zones to damage and heal player and vehicles as well while they stay inside of them.

I will add automatic moving platform with waypoints too and start to test and finish every part left to the update. The only part that I don't know if it would be ready for the update is the weapons mode for the player. I want to upload the version 2.3.6 before september, so I will try to have it ready for that date. The version 2.3.6 will be a huge upgrade to the asset, with a lot of improvements and additions, some parts have been redone or highly changed, so I want to make sure that everything works correctly.

Soon I will make a complete list of features for the current update.

Regards.

cyberisometric, hopeful and neoshaman like this.
  33. TymNetwork

TymNetwork

Looking forward to September!

sr388 likes this.
  34. uni7y

uni7y

just one week... I hope :)

sr388 likes this.
  35. uni7y

uni7y

sr388 likes this.
  36. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have been sick since wednesday, and I haven't been able to work in anything. I am already fine and working again. I don't know if I could get to release the update before september, but I will try my best.

Before I got ill, I made the platform system. It works simlar to the elevator system, you set a serie of waypoints and the platform will move throught them in the order you set, so you can configure vertical, horizontal, inclinated, ....., any direction and position you need.

It has a lot of options, like if platform stops once it reaches the last waypoint, if it moves in circles or makes the revese path, if it stops when the player is out of the platform, the time the platform waits before move again to the next point, the movement speed and the gizmo to make visible every waypoint.

Animation.gif
    Animation2.gif
    Also, the damage and heal triggers:

Animation3.gif
    Also, the ragdoll has been improved and the camera follows it perfect now, (in the old version if the player died moving at high velocity the camera reached the player slow sometimes, now that is fixed). As well, every inspector which uses a list of elements has been improved, so you can add and remove every element very easily. Here you can see how the camera states list looks now:

Captura.PNG

Like I said, I will post the final list of features for version 2.3.6.

Most parts of that asset will be in GTC (some of them are almost finished).

Regards.

TymNetwork, neoshaman and hopeful like this.
  37. uni7y

uni7y

Ok mate take your time... I'm still playing with it and have great fun each day I learn something new :)

sr388 likes this.
  38. TymNetwork

TymNetwork

Can't wait for that update!

sr388 likes this.
  39. sr388

sr388

Happy to hear that men :)

Me neither. Like always, while I clean the project and finish every new part, I have added a few more features:
    • The player has an option to enable or disable the jump action.
    • It can be configure the number of extra jump that the player can make in the air (from 0 to infinite, UNLIMITED POWER GIF HERE)
    • An option allows to slow down the player's gravity force when he falling by holding the jump key. You can release and hold again to enable and disable this deceleration.
    • Along with the jetpack and the fly system (which I have to made yet), the player can be transformed into a sphere and move as such, similar to metroid prime.
    Back to the work.

Regards.

40. Brandon_Powell

Brandon_Powell

• An option allows to slow down the player's gravity force when he falling by holding the jump key. You can release and hold again to enable and disable this deceleration.
    that sounds a lot like the gliding function in Trove. any chance of a configurable amount of forward force also to create a gliding mechanic?

41. sr388

sr388

That function is similar to the game rochard. In a part of the game when you hold a button, the gravity force is reduced, so the player falls slower. That function is now in the asset too.

I hadn't seen that mechanic in Trove, actually I haven't played it. I have seen this video about the gliding system of that game.

Do you mean something like a flying mode, right? In that case, the player will have it. For this update, the player will have 4 different control modes: regular, flying, move like a sphere and use a jetpack. I have to finish the flying system, the others are already done.

It will have an option to set if the movement is applied in every moment or only when a key direction is pressed, so the player floats in his position or moves in his forward direction.

Btw, I have improved the map system. It allows to define different map icons, to set that icons to every object, like enemies, friends, locked or unlocked doors, pickup chests, etc....It is very easy to add objects to the map, to make them visible as icons on it, setting any text with information about every object, so you can see this info by pressing the icon in the map.

Also, it can be configured the floor where the object icon is visible, so if you are in the floor 2, only the icons in that floor will be showed along with the rooms tiles. Other option allows to show all the icons of all the floors at the same time.

Regards.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    Adrad and hopeful like this.
  42. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Just a little quick update.

I have been improving the map system (again) adding a custom editor to the map builder to place every editable plane. This allows to add new floors to the map and different map parts (every room for example) very easily. Also, it has an option to remove every floor and every map part. Here a capture.

Captura.PNG

In the foot step system, it has a new option to place dust in every foot of the player when he moves.

And finally, today I have received a xbox one controller, and after some additions, now the asset has a full gamepad compatibility. allowing to rebiding every button and axis of the gamepad for every action (this will be editable ingame too). So now every action has a name, a keyboard button, a touch device button and a gamepad button/axis to define (the last two option can be empty). Here another capture.

Sin título.png
    Back to the cave.

Regards.

43. unicat

unicat

Does this have a grappling hook as in Just Cause 3 ?

sr388 likes this.
  44. sr388

sr388

Hi unicat.

Not yet, but it will have. I will work on it after the next update 2.3.6. I want to make similar to just cause and also add the option to use it like in ratchet and clank/metroid/etc...

Regards.

hopeful likes this.
  45. unicat

unicat

Cool, thank you. :)

46. unicat

unicat

Jump sound would be great too.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  47. sr388

sr388

Of course, I will add more sound effects to everything, setting as placeholders, so anyone could place their own sounds.

48. hopeful

hopeful

@sr388 - I'm not entirely sure how you're approaching the mapping. Will it be compatible with the type of map that uses an overhead camera to grab a bird's eye view of the indoor / outdoor area?

EDIT: I think that approach uses a render texture with the camera recording the environment layer.

sr388 likes this.
  49. sr388

sr388

Do you mean something like in assassins creed? Or see the whole map level.

In the first case, it is easy to make, and I can add it. In the second case, in the map menu you can zoom in and out the level, change between floors too.

Exactly. The map system has 3 elemets:
    • The map builder: inside every floor (a building, a level with platforms at different height) a serie of map parts (every room, or platform) are created by setting every vertex (using empty gameObjects) of that room in the scene. In the editor, you make a custom map for the scene, by adding new floors and new map parts. Then, when the game is being played, the vertex placed make a plane visible in by the camera, so this system can be used to make any level. In this capture you can see the hierachy.
    This is the second floor, and inside that floor there are different map parts. That lines are created by the custom editor, which joins every vertex defined, which are empty gameObjects. It can be noticed that the map parts aren't aligned with the real level meshes, but due to that the map camera uses an orthographic camera, it doesn't matter, because is like seing the map in 2D. When you place every vertex, the best view is the top perspective.
    Captura2.PNG

When the scene is played, the map planes are built, so they are visible in the render texture. Every map part is in the same height that the floor which contains it, because every floor is placed close to the place where you want to show a different height of the map. That height difference is used to check in which floor is the player currently, to enable and disable every map floor.
    Captura.PNG
    • The map camera, which only show the objects in the layer map ( which are the planes created with the map builder and the icons). This camera follows the player position always at the same height distance.
    • The render texture, which shows the image captured by the camera along with the map icons and the player position.
    I know it can sounds a little confusing or maybe complicated, because sometimes it cost me a lot to explain my self (along with my english), but I think this is the best aproach to make a quick, easy, reusable and very customizable map builder for a game without the need to draw a map by hand.

But don't worry, along with the documentation, I will make a video showing the builder map system and how use it. It is really easy to use.

Any kind of doubt, tell me.

Regards.

50. hopeful

hopeful

I'll probably have to see it when you're done to really understand it, but what I think you're saying is that it does use the camera to build the map images, and it has a layer system that allows you to map more than one vertical level (like ground level, plus first story, second story, rooftop), so long as you label the environment appropriately (with each level of map being on a different layer).

Or maybe that's not it at all. ;)

But it brings up two issues:

1) A lot of devs want to have a dynamically generated environment (like a random dungeon), and thus the map for a scene needs to have its texture generated at runtime. If your approach can be used for that, great. :)

2) Any time layers are used in code, it's best if they can be exposed in the inspector so if there is a layer conflict, it only needs to be changed in one place and all the scripts that use those layers will respect the change.