Search Unity

50% OFF Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.6%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

29.9%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.1%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.1%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.3%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.4%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.7%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.5%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.7%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sr388

sr388

Hi @Mr_squiggle.

Very happy to hear that :)

And about the other puzzle options you mention, there are examples of them already in the asset as the player can already carry objects physically on his hands and drop/throw them, along with pressure platforms which works with physics, so it can activate events when enough weight is dropped into them and open a door for example, or anything you need to configure on the events option.

Same for shooting at a target, you can use the health component to detect the shoots and use the death events to call to events to open the door or give power to any device. You can see an example of that in the reward tutorial video, when the health component is used to trigger the reward:

And same for the last example, you mention, there is a component called event trigger system which allows to configure that kind of logic to trigger events using wait time, so the press of the button can call to that component and open a door and after x time, the component will over its countdown and close the door again, having a button or trigger that will stop that countdown if you reach it.

So yeah, all that kind of puzzles and logic is already very possible in the asset using the current systems and components without need of extra code.

I could configure some example of them if you want as it would take just a few minutes for each one you mentioned.

And yes, I want to add more puzzle mechanics, getting inspiration from many games, especially breath of the wild as I am adding a lot of elements from it lately in the asset.

Let me know what you think ;)

Regards.

Mark_01 and Peppo87 like this.
  2. Mr_squiggle

Mr_squiggle

Thats great. Man you're so fast with these additions I'm having trouble even noticing them haha Thank you :) What other systems are you adding for puzzles in the future?

I'm working on an fps game and resident evil inspired game but after seeing the new update I'm thinking I have the opportunity to work on a zelda clone which would be amazing. The depth of game kit controller is really something.

sr388 likes this.
  3. sr388

sr388

For puzzles, I want to add more examples of elements related to physics and logic, taking inspiration from games like breath fo the wild, portal, half life 2, the room, some metroidvanias, gravity elements and other games.

Oh, and also, some elements from resident evil games as well :) Of course, any suggestion is always welcome, so don't hesitate to tell me any game example with interesting puzzles or physics interaction as well ;)

And thanks for your kind words, it is very appreciated and helps a lot.

Regards.

EN_Games and Peppo87 like this.
  4. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here an example of the torch melee weapon example, using a different movement tree and attacks (it is easy to add new tree movements for new melee weapons) and which also allows to detect fire and get on fire as well, so you can use it for other mechanics such as illuminate dark places and also, solve puzzles based on burn or light elements and burn enemies with it:

Regards.

5. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a new tutorial video to show how to create new fire weapons using the weapon creator wizard, including its inventory info and ammo along with pickups prefabs for both objects:

Regards.

6. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here another new tutorial video, this time showing how to create new AI, set the attack mode on them and other settings for it:

Regards.

7. Truthveyor

Truthveyor

I downloaded GKC into empty projects twice, once on Unity 2017.4.34f1, the other time on Unity 2019.4.27f1. Both times when the avatar uses a melee weapon, half of its body sinks into the ground. This does not happen with guns, just bows and melee weapons. I am using GKC 3.03-1 on a Windows 10 pc. I have tried this in different scenes. Whenever the avatar draws a melee weapon, it sinks into the earth waist high. Any solutions?

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    sr388 likes this.
  8. sr388

sr388

Hi @Truthveyor.

You need to import this animation package from the public repository of the asset
    https://github.com/sr3888/GKC-Public-Repository

It is better explained in the doc, it is a group of animations used on the action system examples and the melee combat, just as placeholder, so you can replace them at any moment. Any animation will work, and these will be assigned automatically once you import the package, just need to import, close and open unity, and voila, all configured by it self.

You can use this alternative link for the animations package if you prefer:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GIhtNQ1n0-t4RKJC0RFVUpDdpE8kgJ3f/view?usp=sharing

Sorry for the possible confusion with the animations, I have planned to add a initial pop up window when importing the asset the first time to tell about that step (it is included on the doc, but it is totally understandable that the first thought is that is some kind of issue or bug).

Let me know your results, no rush :)

Regards.

Kennth, hopeful and Mark_01 like this.
  9. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here another example of the torch melee weapon mechanic to use it for any type of puzzle to activate events for elements to burn or light up, such as activating a bonfire to open a door through events.

Also, elements like the push objects abilities can extinguish the fire (by default, the fire has a damage area, but it can be removed or disabled) and the player can light up again if needed :

Regards.

10. Truthveyor

Truthveyor

Thank you. It worked.

sr388 likes this.
  11. BrandonGordon-Gabb

BrandonGordon-Gabb

hi. i need major help with the game kit controller melee system. neither my player or ai can attack using any melee weapon nor can we punch or kick.

12. sr388

sr388

Hi @BrandonGordon-Gabb.

You need to import this animation package from the public repository of the asset
    https://github.com/sr3888/GKC-Public-Repository

It is better explained in the doc, it is a group of animations used on the action system examples and the melee combat, just as placeholder, so you can replace them at any moment. Any animation will work, and these will be assigned automatically once you import the package, just need to import, close and open unity, and voila, all configured by it self.

You can use this alternative link for the animations package if you prefer:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GIhtNQ1n0-t4RKJC0RFVUpDdpE8kgJ3f/view?usp=sharing

Sorry for the possible confusion with the animations, I have planned to add a initial pop up window when importing the asset the first time to tell about that step (it is included on the doc, but it is totally understandable that the first thought is that is some kind of issue or bug).

Let me know your results, no rush :)

Regards.

Kennth and Mark_01 like this.
  13. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here the teleport/warp of the player to the thrown weapon using the instantaneous change of position instead of the smooth translation along with an effect on the camera to move smoothly, for a better effect:

Very happy to hear that and glad to help :D

Regards.

EN_Games, Mark_01 and hopeful like this.
  14. Mark_01

Mark_01

I like that effect instantaneous warp idea is very good. I think if you have a game with a lot of that type of warping, some people would get bored of long warp times in the long run.

Made me think of an idea, I don't know if you can or not ( Or if it is already in there )
    Can you set the warp speed, to slower then instant ?
    I am thinking of an ability where say you only get the slow speed at first and it is a either
    training points, reward point or experience points w/e idea is you get rewarded with faster warp speeds, by " doing stuff "
    if that makes sense ?

sr388 likes this.
  15. Mr_squiggle

Mr_squiggle

I was wondering if you'll add a feature to the camera in game kit controller that allows you to take photos of objects and put them into a scrap book or just scan them like in metroid prime. And have missions that require you to take a certain photo or scan of an object to complete it. Something like the photo album of wild life in breath of the wild where you have complete a certain amount of unlock an upgrade.

sr388 likes this.
  16. sr388

sr388

Sorry for the time to reply, I am in a remote town during the weekend and have only 3G on my phone to check anythin online haha.

Yes, the teleport ability could travel in the "slow" way through the settings and either the skill system or the experience system could unlock improvements for it to use the insta warp instead.

I will show an example of that part tomorrow ;)

Yes, it is planned to add like an album or a similar gallery of objects or places which you need to take captures, to either unlock events with it for missions or learn info about it and similar

Also, there is scanner system very similar to metroid prime games used for that purpose.

Allow me to show that system better later today, as I will arrive home in a few hours :)

Regards.

Mark_01 likes this.
  17. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here another door example, this time the door panel is directly broken activating physics on it and throwing forward (according to if the player makes the kick from inside or outside) and applying damage on its path as well (the physics forces can be reduced, as I put them high for the example):

Regards.

18. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here another example of interaction with more elements, as the player can also get fire damage like the AI, having triggers to activate and deactivate the fire state, like having fire and water triggers. The burning state can be disabled by using a health consumable or by using the rolling action two times for example (nothing of this is hardcoded, is managed by remote events):

Also, the water trigger (which is just a name to reference it), can affect to the secondary state of the melee weapon, in this case, put out the flame of the torch:

Regards.

19. hopeful

hopeful

Very nice! :)

sr388 likes this.
  20. chrisabranch

chrisabranch

will swimming be coming soon?

sr388 likes this.
  21. sr388

sr388

Very happy to hear that, there are a few more interactions that will be possible with these improvements, not for just fire, but other effects and type of damage/resistance ;)

Yes, the swim system will be added on the next main update 3.03-2, which will be started right after finishing this current patch update, which will be soon :)

Regards.

Kennth, Mark_01 and chrisabranch like this.
  22. hopeful

hopeful

Right, like a heat source (fire) could be melting ice or snow, or a fire extinguisher could put out fire. Or if a person had a stability stat, a "slippery" zone could roll random numbers at intervals, and if the stability stat is exceeded, the character slips. (Or something like that.)

I'm sure you'll provide a few examples, but people could take this in a wide variety of directions.

sr388 likes this.
  23. sr388

sr388

Yes, I want to add examples of those exact elements too, and this also can affects to the rest of characters/AI in the game too.

The slips surface is another element planned but for another update.

Regards.

Wetw0rx likes this.
  24. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I went ahead and added the main structure of the damage type option on health component. This allows to send the type of damage that is applied from any source of damage, in order to being able to trigger different reactions and states from it, such as fire, ice, poison, electricity, radioactivity, etc... allowing to trigger damage over time, or set damage resistance or being more vulnerable to certain types of damage.

Here a first example, as the torches has the melee damage as regular damage value along the type "fire", applying the events to activate damage by fire, which can be extinguish in the ways mentioned a couple of days ago. In this case, I make the player to roll a couple of times to turn it off. Also, blocking with the weapon can avoid (or not) the damage type too.

Regards.

25. osmani

osmani

Hi bro,
    I see a lot of progress toward the higher level of character behavior, and surely love it, but also would like to know if's there some News about Online multiplayer using mirror or Photon, a big reason after your very easy to use a great player controller asset. My Pc game project is in the middle of the construction and would like to see if there is some progress in this particular sphere we are so much interested in.

sr388 likes this.
  26. sr388

sr388

Appreciated to hear that :)

About the online, I want to start to work on it during the next main update, after finishing the current patch update, which will bring improvements, fixes, tweaks and adjustments from the recent update 3.03-1.

So I want to have progress on the online soon, showing here any visible progress once is achieved.

Regards.

27. hopeful

hopeful

IMO, if you're in a position to do it, it might be helpful to use the current version of the GKC controller with either Mirror or Photon, whichever is most convenient to you. IIRC, both plugins allow you to sync variables over the network, and this is how you could set up basic actions over the network. You can just play with it a bit, check things out, and see what might need special attention.

Like, if player1 types a key (say, W or S) to move, this could be put in a movement variable associated with player1 that's synced. Now everybody knows what action the player is requesting, and they can process it together as a movement animation. When the W key lifts or changes, then the sync variable changes appropriately, so now the player stops across the network.

If you want, you could get other things synced, like commands to fire a weapon, or to jump, or whatever. You could add a transform sync variable to movement, so that when the movement input changes, the character begins with the same transform across the network, thus fixing any discrepancies from rounding errors and net lag.

Anyway, playing with this simple sort of thing to get different actions to fire off could potentially expose areas of GKC that would need attention, and you could let @sr388 know about it.

sr388 likes this.
  28. sr388

sr388

Of course, that kind of elements are totally taken into account, so any info or field that needs to be checked or updated, will have functions for such task, so the system can send and receive the info properly according to each player ;)

Regards.

29. sr388

sr388

Good news, everyone!

Tomorrow, or maybe today according to your time zone (12 June), I will have a talk with @TheMessyCoder about Game Kit Controller stuff (recent additions, future content, etc...) on his twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/TheMessyCoder

10 pm GMT
    2 pm PT
    4 pm CST
    5 pm ET

GameKitController.jpg

Regards.

30. osmani

osmani

I am Currently really totally busy with my Unity project scene testing optimizations, fixing stuff etc. About networking i tried once a long time ago to learn and apply the Photon asset and i have partially succeeded to put two Gkc online players online in the same scene, but failed to modify the scripts and connect all with gun fire code and applying damage to other character. My main job is 3D designer and i am not a programmer or i will be a ever one...But let's see until i finish my 3D project. The liked situation would be that sr388 would create one gkc scene with online multiplayer even in Beta version and upload in GitHub to push things further. Simply because he knows his entire code better then anyone here and that would be a somewhat stable version and easy to use it.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    sr388 likes this.
  31. hopeful

hopeful

Okay.

One sticking point I can think of is whereas we can sync player input / commands across a network, I don't know where to find the equivalent from NPCs. Sure, we can sync the transforms of the NPCs, but if they are issuing commands like players do (movement, attack, etc.), I don't know where to tap into that.

sr388 likes this.
  32. osmani

osmani

Yeah, it's pretty hard for nonqualified coders to link all that complicated code, but with little help from youtube and the right online multiplayer tutorial video you could connect the missing points, that's was how I did a while ago.
    I want to put here pictures of my game project in the current state to show what I do, it's not in a great working state to make a game video of it but maybe would be a little inspiration example to other GKC asset users, what you could make with the use of Unity and the player controller.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    sr388 likes this.
  33. sr388

sr388

@osmani @hopeful

Of course, it is totally understandable, that is why I recomment to work on other elements on the projects instead of trying to work on your own solution of the online system (unless of course that you prefer to not wait and you are skilled to work on coding and/or online system).

And about NPCs, it would be a similar process, as the player and AI shares the same components to work, so any change/improvement in one is available in the other, so it can be adapted following the same process once the online it self is achieved.

Also @osmani, that looks good and looking forward to see more and that your game can be included in a future showcase video of games developed with GKC :D

Regards.

hopeful, Kennth and osmani like this.
  34. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here another example of damage type but with arrows, allowing to trigger different states such as sedative or fire on the AI:

Regards.

MorpheusXI, EN_Games, hopeful and 3 others like this.
  35. Kennth

Kennth

This looks great !! Could this be used for a thief type game ? Not on just AI,
    specifically, water arrows to put out fire ..like candles , torches ? Thanks

sr388 likes this.
  36. sr388

sr388

Thanks, much appreciated to hear that @Kennth :D

And yes, that is the objective of this mechanics, to allow to interact each other in an organic way, as I am configuring some more examples of effects activating some puzzle elements or mechanics related to the use of these effects on characters or weapons ;)

Regards.

37. tongchimlang

tongchimlang

How to fix First Person Weapon Camera Mode in Sky And Fog Volume HDRP v.11 ?

Attached Files:

• TPS.png
      TPS.png
      File size:
      504.2 KB
      Views:
    • FPS.png
      FPS.png
      File size:
      292.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      446.4 KB
      Views:
  38. sr388

sr388

The weapons are rendered in a secondary camera inside the player camera gameObject, used only in first person view, to avoid clipping on the weapon meshes.

You need to set the HDRP elements on this weapons camera, here:

upload_2021-6-19_4-50-19.png

Let me know if you try that.

Regards.

39. tongchimlang

tongchimlang

How to set the HDRP elements on this weapons camera?
    I don't understand, please show me.

Attached Files:

• 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      980.5 KB
      Views:
  40. sr388

sr388

41. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here another example of the damage type acting on the AI, as they can also get fire or turn it off from elements on scene or melee weapons:

Regards.

42. hopeful

hopeful

Just in terms of game logic, not any actual need of mine, can one person light the torch of another person?

sr388 likes this.
  43. neoshaman

neoshaman

Seems like yes, it's basically botw system, you have emitter and receiver, if your torch is both you could.

sr388 likes this.
  44. Lakshay8

Lakshay8

Hello,
    Thanks for creating such a powerful kit for us developers.
    I have one question, do you have any plans to add Traffic System? Like walking ai and drivable cars and bike like we see in gta games. If yes, what version are you planning to add it in?

Also, I use Randomation Vehicle Physics and read somewhere here that you have plans to add, when is the integration coming?

Thanks again

sr388 likes this.
  45. sr388

sr388

It could be possible. With how the current system works, if you hit another character with the torch on fire, you will make that character set on fire (unless you disable that state or configure that the character has resistance to that type of damage).

But setting only the torch on fire would, like you help the other player to light it up, what could be done is a shared action system if the player carries the torch and this is not fired up, so if another player enters on your action trigger, he can activate the action to interact with you and set it on fire with his.

The new condition system which I added can help with this too, as it can detect if the other player carries a weapon which can fire up things, like the torch and that its fire is also active.

In summary, yes, an action system could take care of that part and activate an interaction element to play a shared animation to light up the torch of the other player ;) Would be intersting to configure an example showing how that would work, as it wouldn't need any extra code with the current elements in the asset.

Thanks for the kind words @Entertainmaints, it is very appreciated :)

About the traffic system, an AI on vehicles is in process already and you can try a demo scene with its state on alpha-beta on the demo scenes of the asset.

I want to work on the rest of the vehicle AI during the rest of 3.0 updates, so the humanoid AI is able to decide to enter on vehicles by them self, drive to a position or follow a target, and get off when they consider or attack the target with the weapons on the vehicle (the player will be also able to set its weapons on automatic or manual mode too).

So once that is added, a traffic system could be made by extended the vehicle AI more. Also, I would like to add integration with some traffic system, like STS, as the vehicle AI will be able to take external values for its drive direction and speed, so other traffic system can use GKC vehicles to set their input values according to any condition.

And yes, I want to also add integration with randomation vehicles, trying also to have that ready before moving to 4.0, or maybe as the initial version of 4.0, as 3.0 has about 3 more updates, starting the next one right after finishing the upcoming patch update for the recent release of 3.03-1.

Let me know if you have any other doubt, question or suggestion ;)

Regards.

StevenPicard likes this.
  46. hopeful

hopeful

Good to know! So as it stands now, a player could enact the classic bit of being in a dungeon, finding an unlit torch, and carrying to a lit brazier to get it started before venturing deeper into the dungeon. That's pretty cool. :)

StevenPicard, Kennth and sr388 like this.
  47. sr388

sr388

Yeah, you could do the opposite and get the torch fire up with another element on the scene, like a bonfire or similar, fro doing a simple melee attack toward the trigger of that object or using the action system to activate that.

Here another usage of the torch example, as I also added a main condition system and other classes can inherit from it, allowing to add easily more types of conditions checks for different elements, such as checking if the player carries certain objects on inventory and more.

In this case, it checks if the player carries a certain melee weapon, a torch which is already lighted up or not, so he can interact with the action system to light up the pillar to open the door once he fits the requirements configured, having also regular interaction with fire in that pillar as well.

Regards.

Kennth and hopeful like this.
  48. neoshaman

neoshaman

So we could adapt it to make an electrical system ourselves i guess too? Like botw electricity

Kennth and sr388 like this.
  49. sr388

sr388

It wouldn't be as organic and out of the box as it would be on breath of the wild (as I haven't structured how that part would work 100% yet), but the objective is to achieve something as close as possible on next updates, as for now, I wanted to focus now on the initial system for it and reaction examples for fire/water to interaction with elements and in between them.

So that will be extended to be very similar to BOTW in that aspect, as in that game, there are more elements needed to take into account for such system, like weather, temperature, presence of water, rain, lightning, etc...and include other elements such as wood, metal, etc... to react with it (and probably some element that I am forgetting now, let me know in that case).

Regards.

neoshaman, Kennth and hopeful like this.
  50. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

An user asked for an option to allow to activate the dismemberment of the AI by explosions of grenades, explosive barrels and other exploding elements.

So I added an option for it on this kind of weapons/elements, as I only needed to add a couple of functions on the health component to trigger all the events on the weak spot list of AI to "explode" their limbs through remote events.....EXPLOSION!

Regards.

MorpheusXI, Peppo87, Mark_01 and 4 others like this.