Search Unity

1. Get the latest news, tutorials and offers directly to your inbox with our newsletters. Sign up now.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Game Kit Controller: Engine with dual weapons, vehicles & more! 3.03-1 Melee System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

32.6%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

37.1%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

49.4%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

39.3%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.1%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

21.3%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

11.2%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

19.1%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

18.0%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

10.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sr388

sr388

Good news everyone, the update 3.03-1 is complete and sent the asset store, so in a matter of 1-2 days it should be available in the asset store (sometimes it has taken just hours, so it could be sooner).

Thanks to all the people for your huge patience with this update, it has been a long wait but I hope the new version worth it, and now some coffee and starting to plan the next update :D

Also, here a little element I configured for AI to react to damage on the feet, making them to fall or trip, similar to resident evil games:

ezgif.com-gif-maker (5).gif

Regards.

2. pallavimankame77

pallavimankame77

HI !!! Two Cubs.
    I have been studying GKC from last 16 days.
    My player can grab objects like fuel can by using [ T ] key.
    My player also can open & close doors using [ E ] key.
    but
    My player can not pickup weapon & props like Flash Light. I want to use flash light in my level. I want my player pickup flash light & use it whenever it needed. also I want my player to pickup weapons.

I was going through inventory related tutorials . but do not know which tutorial will solve my query.

Please help .

3. sr388

sr388

Hi.

Send me a PM to take a better look at your issue, to get it sorted asap and you can keep working properly. I recommend to use the discord channel, as I can give a better help there through direct chat. Here the link:

https://discord.gg/kUpeRZ8

Regards.

4. sr388

sr388

More good news, everyone.

In record time, the new update 3.03-1 is already live on the asset store haha (a little reminder to always make backups of your projects) :)

Also, there are new animations added on the examples of the action system and other movements, so I recommend to check the public repository of the asset to get the new animation package (more info on the doc, in the external files section).

Regards.

5. MAVG

MAVG

Awesome! hey one question in one of your videos your mention that GKC Has an event integration system that makes integrations easier.

how does it work exactly? and how do you use it?

(can custom scrpits run when GKC events occurred?) and/or viceversa (GKC events can be activated with custom scripts?)

6. sr388

sr388

Not sure what you mean with event integration system, I think you mean just events maybe?

Events allow to configure functions calls through the inspector, avoiding the need of code, and with it, a lot of customization and make things easier to connect different components by settings, without dependencies needed. You can see more here:

You can also call this events through code as well. Let me know if that is what you meant.

Regards.

hopeful and Mark_01 like this.
  7. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Just a reminder that Game Kit Controller is 50% OFF for 1 more day, as the spring sale is over by then!

Also, one of the elements of the new update is the resurrect event option on the health component for the AI, as the elements were already included and just needed a couple of additions to reset the AI behavior in order to resurrect properly, taking the idea from @sdk2019bl. So you can see here the unkillable AI example:

You can see here an example from the editor:

Regards.

EN_Games and Peppo87 like this.
  8. MAVG

MAVG

Amazing....
    hey now that slicing characters is a thing have you thought about adding a regeneration mechanic kind of like attack on titan the game? like regenerating lost limbs... and stuff if they are not dead?

of course i was thinking you could also use dissolve shader based regeneration system to make more interesting effects to said regeneration mechanic.... like:

or like this

let me know what you think...

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  9. sr388

sr388

It would be interesting, but this kind of mechanic wouldn't be managed in the same way as the slice system, as in this case, it would need a previous preparation on the models, as you would need that the limbs or parts that can be regenerated are separated meshes from the body it self, as you would need to apply different materials and shaders for it (the slice system doesn't require a previous preparation on models, as that is calculated dynamically ingame), to hide or show those body parts.

Along with it, you would need to make custom shaders which show that kind of regeneration for each body part (or maybe using an animation on the limb it self for the "regrow part").

Something similar is used on the games Prototype, but it is more a matter of visual elements which need to be pre made on each model separately that something that can be made as a general system for any type of model. But it would look cool and interesting nonetheless.

Regards.

10. hopeful

hopeful

You can do that with UMA.

sr388 likes this.
  11. MAVG

MAVG

oh... i see soo even if you slice an enemy it can be still alive after that...? like the necromorphs?

OMG really? how?

12. hopeful

hopeful

If your game is designed for humanoids who change clothes, hair, faces, etc., UMA is a framework for making new skinned meshes at runtime based on a recipe of parts. If you change your recipe for left arm from "normal" to "mutated hand," and then tell it to rebuild the character mesh, it will then have the version of the left arm with the mutated hand mesh and texture.

You can change the shader too, along with the texture.

Nothing special about it that I can think of. That's just basic UMA functioning.

Or am I missing some key part of what you need ...?

sr388 likes this.
  13. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a quick view of the improved inventory system, allowing to drop any object into the quick access slots (previously only for weapons), similar to deus ex:

I want to add options in a future update on the slice system for characters to allow to keep moving if some body part is severed (changing also its behavior according to which part) as right now, when some part is sliced, the AI is killed directly.

Regards.

EN_Games likes this.
  14. MAVG

MAVG

:eek: No... but acording to the presentation video on UMA2... Uma can work even for non humanoids i heard.. which also multiplies the power of the asset

on the minute 8:38

15. hopeful

hopeful

I was just trying to keep things simple. :)

16. MAVG

MAVG

hey now about the generic models i was thinking in a few suggestions

An option to select which bones or sections of the model are which for example in generic models which are foots, legs, hands, arms, heads, spines, etc. so the dynamic abilities that include IK stuff with actions are not lost...

also could you make a customization system so the player or IA initiate in flying, swiming or terrestial mode accoriding to the user election? so you could make characters that can inhabit a huge variety of enviroments that are native to them like in subnautica.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    StevenPicard likes this.
  17. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here another improvement of the inventory system: reordering the inventory grid as you need, by dragging and dropping the slots into any other position:

Regards.

MAVG, Mark_01, StevenPicard and 2 others like this.
  18. neoshaman

neoshaman

Uma can work for any fixed skeleton, that is the concept of uma race, which allow you to create your own custom variant, however you are asking for a dynamic skeleton where you can add body part, uma doesn't handle that, it couldn't based on how things are implemented.

Mark_01 likes this.
  19. MAVG

MAVG

but as long as i use one skeleton is ok?

20. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here the option to customise sounds, particles and events when detecting different surfaces using the close combat system, working in the same way as the one on the melee combat, and allowing to configure surfaces which can trigger hit damage reactions (or any other animation) when the characters hits or damage it. Here against an enemy:

And with different surfaces and with no surface detected:

That would be mostly similar to the current player's mode, from the player states manager, which is configured in the same way in the player to set the initial state and attack mode of the AI. More elements related to that are planned once generic models are added, to included other type of AI behaviors, like animal for example.

Regards.

EN_Games and StevenPicard like this.
  21. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I bought this a couple years ago when I saw all the awesome potential it had even back then. Recently I decided to come back and check it out and it has most everything I needed for my games. I watched the Messy Code interview and the new "Made With" trailer. It really got me excited. However, when jumping in I found there's a zillions options that take forever to look through. Knowing where to begin or where to look can be a struggle. I did watch some videos but I didn't find them as helpful or in-depth as I hoped. Regardless, I think I'm convinced enough that spending time to learn this asset will be greatly rewarding. So if you don't mind, I'd like to make some recommendations.

1. Add descriptive and helpful tooltip and maybe even some instructions at the top of each section in the inspector.
    2. Add some more wizards. I see you have a character creator which was fine on a couple (but not most) characters I own. When it works, it's very easy, when it doesn't then it's a lot of work. However, in my case I just wanted to create a warrior already armed with a sword and shield, an archer, another character with a two handed weapon, another with a sword in one hand the other hand free for casting magic, and finally, another just as a wizard. I know you're asset is capable of this but just figuring out how to set up for the first character was difficult (as a new user of this asset, anyways.) When generating a character I always got your default hand-made weapons which I didn't want and figuring out how to removing them is\was a chore. Also, I wanted weapons and abilities already on the characters and ready for use. I would like to see a wizard (or wizards) targeted for the character type that we need. Either have separate wizard or one with a drop-down selector where we could select Shooter, Melee, Wizards, Archer, etc. where most common options can be set along with slots for dragging and dropping the weapons, spells, etc. right on it.
    3. Similar to the previous request but for enemies.
    4. I'd love to see a camera wizard. I really just wanted an isometric camera angle but finding and setting up the camera settings is also not so intuitive. Perhaps you can have a wizard that will allow you to set a global camera style or camera style zones (in the form of a non-rendered cube that can be placed anywhere in the scene.)
    5. Since this kit is so extensive it really does stir the imagination with potential game ideas. You mentioned in the messy coder interview how you wanted to add regular bike support. I would love to eventually see that (support the regular bikes and ones for stunts) also I think skateboarding, skiing, snowboarding abilities would be cool. I'm sure one day boats and ships would be awesome (way down the road, I am sure.) Anyways, just wanted to make sure these transportation methods were on your list. :)

Also, don't get me wrong. I love the amount of options you have in the inspector but I think having wizards for the most common options that people will need right away in the game development cycle would be awesome. Then besides the wizards, help and tooltips in the inspector would be super helpful.

Oh, one more thing. At one point you had created something for generating procedural levels. Is that still in the asset and if so is there documentation on how to use it?

Thanks!

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    sr388 likes this.
  22. sr388

sr388

First of all, I am happy to hear that you choose the asset work with it for your projects, it is very appreciated :D.

Thanks for all the suggestions, they are very appreciated and most of them are very planned, as I have been focused on the last updates in make massive improvements in most components, systems and elements of the asset, including workflow and tools to make each customization and setup process as simple as possible.

Now that part is done, I can focus on keep improving more parts of the workflow, including wizards, tooltips for each field of each component which needs it along with short text explanations for these components, which is exactly the elements that you described in your post.

And of course and more important, make more documentation content ant tutorial videos. For the next doc content, I am going to split the main pdf file by categories, like inventory, weapons, vehicles, AI, character controller, camera, input, etc... to make easier to locate and manage the different options and elements of the asset.

That will be one of the main focus during the next weeks, working on that, to cover all the elements of the asset.

For example, for characters (player, and AI, both enemy and friend), the character creator wizard has been very improved, including options to use templates already configured with different settings, along the possibliity of customizing directly the main settings of any character in a single place for its most important elements, states, modes and similar.

Also, I have been adding a couple of wizards for the melee elements, to improve the creation of new melee weapons (including to add its object info to the inventory) and customizing the melee weapons on character's body easily, in a few clicks (I will show more of that during the next days).

About cameras, there is a list of preconfigured locked cameras (top down, isometric, 2.5d, fixed camera, point and click, etc...) and a tutorial showing all these examples:

And yes, I want to make an update focused on vehicles to either add more types and simplify the process of customization to also make easier integrations with other vehicle controllers, including an interesting project on github with randomation vehicles:

https://github.com/JustInvoke/Randomation-Vehicle-Physics

And of course, thanks again for all the suggestions, they are very welcome and helps to get different perspective that are sometimes more locked due to being one single person working on the asset :)

About procedural generation, not sure exactly what you mean, maybe the map tool to show the 2d planes of the map system into 3d simple models, similar to metroid prime games?

Regards.

StevenPicard likes this.
  23. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Thanks for the in-depth response. I am anxious to see your updates.

The procedural map part I am referring to is in this video:

You are seriously a team of five developers rolled into one! Really great work!:D

sr388, Mark_01 and hopeful like this.
  24. Mr_squiggle

Mr_squiggle

Loving the new update. Was wondering if there will be options to replace the 3d models with sprite sheets or something similar in the future. So for example I could make an old school doom game with a 3d area but with sprite enemies that lock to the camera. Or something akin to an old school metroid game with 2d animated characters but with 3d backgrounds.

sr388 likes this.
  25. MAVG

MAVG

oh hahaha of course... silly me
    i think thats more of a shader thing i think amplify had a example of this

26. sr388

sr388

Always glad to keep working on the asset and improve it as much as possible to get the best quality in terms of usability, workflow, customization and management :D And thanks for your kind words, it is very appreciated :)

About the procedural map, that is for the map system and it doesn't generate a level it self, it is just the visual part to show the 2d plane which is configured manually accoding to the zone, floors and rooms of your game to use those vertices info to create 3d meshes from it, to have a map similar to metroid prime games.

Very happy to hear you like the new version ^^

I want to work on 2d elements, to allow to use sprites on objects, characters, AI and the rest of current prefabs, to use sprites. I have already started to work on that part for the character controller it self (which is used on both AI and player, so once is ready on the player, it will be usable on AI without any extra modification needed).

The objective is allow a game mode for 100% 2d, using the 2.5d locked view but with 2d models and to have 3d environments with sprite elements (and all the combinations in between for those elements), similar to games like this:

ezgif.com-gif-maker (6).gif

ezgif.com-gif-maker (7).gif
    Regards.

Mark_01 and StevenPicard like this.
  27. Mr_squiggle

Mr_squiggle

Awesome! :) Will the 2d element options be ready next update 3.023-2/3.03-3 or down the line like 4.0 or later?

sr388 likes this.
  28. sr388

sr388

It will depend of the development speed of the last updates of 3.0, as I would like to experiment a little more with sprites by that time, but according to that, yes, it will approximately between the end of 3.0 and the start of 4.0 ;)

Regards.

29. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I am working in a patch update which will bring some new tools to improve the workflow and make it easier and better, along some minor bugs fixed and some improvement and tweak here and there.

For example, I extended the melee weapon creator to create its inventory object as well, just like fire weapons, adding all that info into prefabs and into the inventory manager:

Regards.

30. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here the melee weapon tool to adjust the weapon to any character's body in a few clicks, it can be used on any model and with any melee weapon:

Regards.

31. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Looks good but I noticed the feet going into the ground a lot. Is this something that can be fixed?

32. sr388

sr388

Yes, that is due to the animation settings, as most of these animations have the Y position on the center of mass instead of in the feet, so that is the cause and it can be adjusted.

I am adjusting that setting for the feet (using the animation setting of unity, as that can be configured quickly on any animation which does something like that) on each animation to make sure they are played using the feet position as pivot position.

upload_2021-5-11_7-45-55.png

So nothing related to the system or GKC, just a setting on the animation it self ;)

Regards.

StevenPicard and Peppo87 like this.
  33. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a tool for the action system that is already included, to replace any of the animations used on it in a single click, without need to go to the animator, search the layer, search the animation, then adjust it, etc.... so you can do that very quick and easy, allowing also to set a new animation speed for the new animation and if it is mirrored or not. The rest is configured automatically:

Regards.

Kennth, Mark_01, hopeful and 2 others like this.
  34. Mark_01

Mark_01

Love that idea!! Way useful :)

sr388 likes this.
  35. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here the new option to use pinch in and out on touch devices, allowing to trigger separate events on both directions, which can be used for different input actions. In this example, I have configured events to trigger the same functions used on the mouse wheel to move the camera closer or farther from the player:

The option checks when enough distance has been applied (closer or farther from the initial) for both fingers and also, it checks that no other touch input is pressed, to avoid awkward situations and the minimum distance difference on the fingers to check events.

Regards.

36. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a test made by an user from the GKC discord with the improved dialogue system and using the events options to activate the lip sync system:

Regards.

StevenPicard, Kennth and hopeful like this.
unityunity