Search Unity

50% OFF Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.7%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

30.0%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.2%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.2%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.3%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.4%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.7%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.5%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.5%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I keep working on the last elements of the update. One of them is an option on the scene manager to change from one scene to another directly in the editor, with just a button click, without need to search the scene file in the project folder, using the level manager component. It just needs a path setting (where scenes are stored) and the name of the scene, including a check in case the scene name or path configured doesn't actually exists:

Regards.

2. sr388

sr388

Hi everoyone.

I have improved the dash/dogde/roll/evade system (it can be called in different ways according to the type of animations used on it haha). Now, it can be used on strafe mode, checking the current input movement direction and activating the roll in that direction. This check can be done using only 4 directions to check (forward, backward, left and rigth) or 8, including diagonal directions, so the roll/dogde/evade can be done in all those directions if needed:

Also, there is a new option to change the current camera state while the action is active, allowing to set the previous camera state at the end or a new one:

Finally, the roll can be also used while using weapons and while aiming with them, and in that state, the IK on the weapon will be toggled smoothly to disabled while the action is active to be activated again at the end (in case the IK was active through the weapons or other state)

I took some inspiration from the new resident evil 3 remake evade action, and with this action example, you can put other animations, more similar to that game for example:

CircularSadErin-size_restricted.gif

Regards.

3. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have changed a little the aspect and organization of the player weapon system, in order to improve how the settings are shown and order them by category, like projectile settings, or events options or particles and sounds, ammo, etc... allowing to show all the settings together, like previously or just by these categories:

Btw, the update 3.02f is almost ready. I will go to sleep in a few minutes and complete the update tomorrow, only need to make a couple of checks/tweaks on a few demos, make the builds and ready to go. So finally the new update will be available very soon :D

Regards.

4. runealdoo

runealdoo

Perhaps I just an idiot, but is there some kind of a tutorial on the world wide youtube, or some where else, to do a proper integration between GKC and UMA?

5. hopeful

hopeful

You can't quite do it yet, without tinkering, as GKC adds a number of items to the character skeleton during the editor phase, many of which have duplicate names on their objects.

UMA allows you add things to the rig, but it makes a dictionary of the rig, and dictionaries can't have duplicate keys. Since GKC uses non-unique names on the objects it adds to the rig, that's a source of incompatibility.

If GKC could change to a naming system for the weapons rigs where names were unique, that would be one way of fixing it. Except that if you had a pistol in your left hand and in your right hand, that might cause a duplication error.

Another way would be to only add weapons to body slots, like left and right hand mount points, as they are being used (at runtime) which would help eliminate duplicate names, provided all object names dynamically get slot names like "l_h_slot" and "r_h_slot" - or "back_slot" - added to them.

GKC does have a slot system for weapons, where you can mount the bazooka on your back (back slot) and then get it into your hands for use. But it's not currently set up to force unique names on objects based upon the slot.

I hope that makes sense. I'm about to head to bed so it may not. :)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  6. runealdoo

runealdoo

Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks :)

7. hopeful

hopeful

If you want to run around in your scene using UMA and GKC, you can do it if you strip out the weapons and the jet pack.

You might possibly find some other errors when you use Powers, Vehicles, etc. It's unknown. If you did try that, it would be valuable to note.

As I understand it, GKC is going to try for compatibility with UMA. So it would be helpful to locate all sources of UMA issues.

BackwoodsGaming and runealdoo like this.
  8. runealdoo

runealdoo

It should be possible. This is just o3n's fbx put into GKC with no settings what so ever

9. sr388

sr388

Good news, everyone.

I have just finished the update 3.02f and it has been uploaded to the asset store (finally). Here the final changelog:

Changelog 3.02f

And here a summary:

Update 3.02f, with a lot of improvements, new systems and fixes:

-Improved character controller: smoother, more responsive, better management of animations and transitions, improved animator (now one single animator, no matter the version of unity), improved strafe, better headtrack and much more.

-Action system: Added action system to allow to add and configure new custom actions triggered by places of the level, specific situations, input or all combined. This basically allows to add any action based on animations, like sit on a chair, pick objects from the ground, open doors, press button, vault, slide, roll, walk on a cliff, etc...

-Ability system: Added an ability system to allow to configure any list of abilities for the player, like a cloak/stealth system, to being 100% invisible to enemies and move the shield system to being a totally independent component. This system is made using a main class with virtual functions and each ability inherits from it, so that allows to override easily the main functions and create new abilities very easily, including options to trigger events. This allows to use actions of any type, such as spell casting, throw objects, use grappling hook, etc... It can be also combined with the action system

-Culling system for both player and elements of the scene, turning objects between player and camera semi transparent and same with the player meshes as well when the camera is to close to him.

-New shader to fade a circle (or any other shape) around the player when an obstacle is detected, useful for locked views, for games similar to divinity.

-General improvements on the weapon system, including elements like show the smartphone screen on third person in the HUD, similar to other games and an improved custom inspector, with categories for the different settings: ammo, projectiles, events, hud, etc... for each weapon.

-Improved inventory, with a system to change its aspect ingame with different schemes, like put the inventory grid on a side of the screen while using inventory objects on a place of the level. Also, the inventory is much more easy to extend now, with options to any type of pickup, custom behaviors when combining or using objects (like getting drunk with beer as consumable, triggering a tree on the animator for that state for example).

-Added vehicle wizard creator, to make the process to replace meshes for a new vehicle much easier.

-More options for the interaction with devices and objects on the level, like min distance and min angle between the player and the object in order to use it or avoid to use object if they are not visible on screen.

-Improved AI, with a better movement, detection and management of targets, including also a new AI able to use powers as way to attack. AI can also change its attack mode (weapons, combat, powers, run away) ingame, activated for example by events according to the remain health.

-Improved touch controls for mobile, with a new system to detect and use the virtual joysticks, swipes and other actions and a better management of touch buttons, with options to set different panels for different control schemes.

-Added options for critical damage on the health system, including to show the critical text on screen too.

-Options menu configured ingame, like game volume, mouse sensitivity, show tutorials ingame, show actions panels ingame and much more has now serialization, so these settings are saved between games. Any kind of option can be configured, including all type of UI elements, toggle, slider, scrollbar, etc....

-Improved dialog system.

-Grappling hook system (configured as an ability): allowing to push the player toward a surface or an object or push objects towards him, slowing those objects when are close enough to give time to make any action on them, like pushing enemies toward player (which are throw like ragdolls) to for example, shoot at them

-Roll system: allows the player to roll/slide on any direction, based on the input direction, allowing to do that action on regular movement (walk/run/sprint) and strafe (for example, when using an aiming weapons, making a smooth transition of IK to animation and back to IK).

-A lot more of improvements, fixes, polish and new options and improvements on the general workflow.

And here the new demo builds for PC and android:

PC demo 1
    PC demo 2
    Local Multiplayer Demos
    APK demos

So yeah, today was a long day of work, I need to sleep for about a day or so haha. Any feedback is welcome.

@runealdoo allow me to reply properly to you tomorrow, as it has been a very long day of working to finish the update and I really need some sleep. Will be back asap. But yes, UMA is planned to be integrated for the next update 3.03, which will be started right away, now that 3.02f is finally sent to the store :)

Regards.

10. hopeful

hopeful

Maybe I'm not understanding your angle, but yes ... you can use any humanoid model with GKC. So you could use the o3n base model or one of the UMA base models with GKC, and it will work fine.

The problem is where you create a character using GKC at edit time, but use UMA at runtime to create or edit the character.

UMA is a code framework, not a specific model. The incompatibility is in the coding systems.

Also, I remember that there's an issue with the animator component. GKC expects it to be on one object, while UMA creates it on another. This should be relatively easy for GKC to anticipate and fix, simply by hooking into the UMA completed event and transferring the new animation avatar. More or less.

11. runealdoo

runealdoo

My angle is that I don't have 500-1000$ to spent on decent charcters :) Or good skills to make them :D

Guess I just try to get the best out of Fuse for now and return to try find a better system when they close it down in a few months.

Perhaps I should get more into MakeHuman? or something different? I dont know what is best and any surgestions are more than welcome :)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  12. hopeful

hopeful

If you're going for a fairly realistic character, Fuse looks pretty good to me. I'd suggest using the heck out of their system between now and the end of August, saving interesting looking characters, hair, clothing, etc. Then learn how to use Blender to add all those heads, hairs, and clothes to UMA. You'd have a handy huge character creator wardrobe for $0.

Probably GKC and UMA will have been integrated by then, and you'll have the ability to make endless unique characters that can drive vehicles, fly, walk on walls, shoot guns, carry other people, and all the other crazy stuff that GKC brings you. :)

Anyway the character creation issue doesn't directly relate to GKC, so I'm going to leave it there. If you want to use Fuse and / or UMA, there are threads for discussing that.

BackwoodsGaming and runealdoo like this.
  13. Deckard_89

Deckard_89

@hopeful Yeah it sucks that they're discontinuing Fuse. It was so helpful for quick-starting character creation.

hopeful likes this.
  14. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Thanks like always for the faster replies @hopeful, I have been almost all day knocked out for a damn headache haha.

@runealdoo yeah, UMA is planned to be integrated for the update 3.03, which will be started tomorrow, along with melee combat and much more. So as soon as visible progress is made with it, it will be shown here as usual :)

In the meantime, here some examples of the improved roll action in locked camera, one of them in fixed camera and the other in top down (the action system can be used on any view, including the roll action):

Regards.

15. neoshaman

neoshaman

If we have a dodge, time to add witch time like in zelda... though we might wait for melee first lol

sr388 likes this.
  16. sr388

sr388

Haha, yeah, it is something I want to try as well, since the melee system will have elements inspired from dark souls, sekiro, breath of the wild and similar games (of course, with everything customizable, to fit the style and elements each one want to use).

After this initial version of the melee combat, I would like to try hack n slash elements, like in bayonetta, nier automata, devil may cry 5 and more, so you can push enemies to the air, hit and keep them on air, throw them to the ground and more, along with combo lists and similar elements.

Regards.

17. neoshaman

neoshaman

mmm beat m melee mechanics is quite delicate, I hope you do a great implementation based on the commonality, state management is key (justground, stagger, stun, knockback, blockstun, drop, etc ...), and state transition too (like canceling or not, i frame, etc ...), ninja gaiden have up to 50 states, and zelda botw is not that far away. And also you need many distinct collider state (hitbox, hurtbox, grabbox, shield, etc ..) that have distinct priority. All these state overlap quite hapazardly.

It's really easy to mess up melee, hack and slash not so easy, especially because readability is key. I see botch melee system that leave people shaking their mind.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    sr388 likes this.
  18. sr388

sr388

Good news everyone.

The new update 3.02f has been released on the asset store. Also, a new design of the key images have been added for this version.

CoverImage_1950x1300.png

CardImage_420x280.png

IconImage_160x160.png
    Yeah, don't worry, all the possible elements will be taken into account as much as possible in order to make a good melee system :)

Regards.

19. sr388

sr388

Good news everyone.

Probably most of you already know it, but Game Kit Controller is on sale for the Spring Sales with a 50% OFF just in time for the new update 3.02f which is already available on the store.

sales.png

Regards.

20. hopeful

hopeful

Yes, and everyone who doesn't have it already should GET IT! :)

Brian-Ryer, BackwoodsGaming and sr388 like this.
  21. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

One of the improvements made for 3.02f is the display of list on those components with a custom editor, related to unity 2018 and higher versions where this display of list looked like duplicated list, showing the elements of these list on custom editor twice. This was caused for an element that unity changed of how this display of list works after unity 2018. This is how it looked until now (you can see the duplicated list elements):

And this is how it looks with the change for a proper display:

Regards.

BackwoodsGaming and hopeful like this.
  22. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Always love things you recommend! Ended up picking this up to play around with a bit yesterday. Haven't had a chance to dig in yet, but looking forward to it.

Keep up the awesome work, @sr388!!

sr388 and hopeful like this.
  23. sr388

sr388

Thanks @BackwoodsGaming for your purchase, I really appreciate it. And thanks for your nice words, very happy to hear that, you can be sure of that. Any feedback about trying the asset is very welcome :)

Also, thanks @hopeful for recommending the asset, always being a big support since a lot of time ago ^^

Regards.

BackwoodsGaming and hopeful like this.
  24. bunnybreaker

bunnybreaker

I don't know that I've ever actually posted on the Unity forums before, but I had to for this. GCK is really impressive from what I've seen so far. The number of systems you have included is pretty astonishing. I bought it last night and just started playing with it.

Good luck with future sales and progress. I'm eagerly awaiting the melee system (though I see you can already make basic attacks, which is nice.)

sr388 and hopeful like this.
  25. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here another 2 examples of the improved roll action in locked camera:

Thanks @ShortyCOR for your purchase and interest in the asset, I appreciate that a lot along with your kind words :D

Hope you enjoy the asset and yeah, I am already setting some concrete aspects of the melee on my todo list
    to have everything structured. I can't wait to start it, which should be by the middle of the incoming week. It is going to be one of the most interesting systems that I am going to work in the asset.

Regards.

bobbylee, BackwoodsGaming and Peppo87 like this.
  26. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

In the new update, I added a flashlight attached to player’s body which can be used directly by input (menu key at the left side of right ctrl) and which follows player’s camera position and rotation, with an offset distance, placed close to the left side of the player’s chest, working in a similar way to resident evil 2 and 3 remake:

Regards.

27. johny256

johny256

Please next Update Survival mode.Hunger and etc

28. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

For the new update 3.02f, I added options in the main inventory list manager to save the current list of inventory objects configured in a scriptable object. This allows to save this info into an external file outside the main inventory manager component itself, making it easier to move this info from a previous version of GKC to a new one when you update the asset in your project or want to move this info from a prefab to another:

This also allows to load the info from any of this file type (scriptable object) to the main inventory manager, to have the full save/load functions and use them as need, allowing to use as many files of this inventory info as needed.

Yes, survival elements are planned, but it will be probably added on 3.04 (current update in progress is 3.03), as the current update already has a lot of elements planned and adding more would increase more the time to have everything ready. I will put the roadmap of content planned for 3.03 and others 3.0X updates here this week :)

Regards.

BackwoodsGaming, hopeful and Peppo87 like this.
  29. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Tomorrow (april 23) at around 10 PM UK (GMT +1), I will make a stream with @TheMessyCoder on his twitch channel (http://twitch.tv/TheMessyCoder) about GKC, to talk about the new elements, future roadmap and similar stuff, so anyone who wants to take a look, it is welcome.

EWM789LXkAIPiTs (1).jpg

Regards.

30. emperor12321

emperor12321

I've been enjoying experimenting with the demos, but the action system doesn't seem to be working. When I try to do an action or use an ability with animation like throwing a grenade, my character freezes in this position. I am using Unity 2017.3.1
    I imported it on a blank project.
    I'm very excited to use the asset!

Attached Files:

31. sr388

sr388

Yes, that is because the animations used for the examples of the action system are not included on the asset, as those animations are not mine but from the mixamo free animations. Check the doc, it is better explained on it and there is a package of animations for these action examples in a public repository on github. Just import it and the animations are assigned automatically.

Of course, the action system can use any animation as it uses the animator system of unity, so there is not any limit on that part.

Regards.

emperor12321 likes this.
  32. emperor12321

emperor12321

Excellent! Thank you!

sr388 likes this.
  33. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

Hi,
    Look forward to see you all soon!!

Go over to twitch and click follow and click that bell icon so that you get notified when we go live.

www.twitch.tv/TheMessyCoder

34. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

Thank you for a lot of fun, and getting drunk virtually :)

hopeful and sr388 like this.
  35. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here some improvements/polish in the action system which was made in the current update in the store, to stop smoothly the player movement before starting the action it self, including sprint as well (that smooth stop can be configured in the options, so according to the type of action, some stop that movement and otherd don't):

Thanks to you @TheMessyCoder. It was a pleasure like always and hope to return once the melee system and other elements of 3.03 are released :)

Regards.

36. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Lot of improvements for the upcoming middle update 3.02g before starting the main one 3.03. There is also some workflow improvements too related to weapon creations and inventory elements (which will be shown soon).

Here a couple of examples of the grappling hook in the locked camera (the speed should have been reduced for these examples :p ):

Regards.

37. JRD

JRD

Hi TwoCubes. I am using the 3.02f version of GKC and i am wanted to replace your low poly weapons with my own weapons. If you could be so kind as to point me to the correct video i could watch so i can add my weapons or should i wait for the new weapon creation coming in 3.02g. Thanks!

sr388 likes this.
  38. sr388

sr388

Hi @JRD.

Here, this is the process to add a new weapon model:

This process is going be simplified with a weapon creator wizard, which will need just a couple of clicks to replace the meshes of a weapon and with this new process to add a new weapon to the inventory system and create the pickups for it and the ammo in 10 seconds:

Both elements (weapon wizard and the new process above) will be available very soon, as I am going to finish the new middle update 3.02g in a matter of days and send it to the store, which will include these new workflow elements for weapons.

Regards.

39. JRD

JRD

Nice! I will wait for 3.02g and test it out! :)

sr388 likes this.
  40. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I tried a few days ago an example of the dialog using the player stats system for conditions. In this case, it checks if the stat with name "Persuasion" is higher or equal to 3 (that stat is just a new stat amount configured in the player state system, without need to add a new script for further logic).

The player only have 1 point for that stat, so I put a cube with some experience amount to increase the player's level and improve its persuasion amount automatically when leveling up. With that, the player can use that dialog option and open a new branch in the dialog which basically is don't bother me again xd

Regards.

BackwoodsGaming, hopeful and Peppo87 like this.
  41. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here an overview video of the action system through some examples. Also, I have added a new example of the reload weapon, this time, for pistol type (you can see it on the video too):

Regards.

42. Robocop87

Robocop87

Is there a Discord channel for this asset?

[Edit] Found the link at gamekitcontroller.com. If anyone else is looking, it's https://discord.gg/kUpeRZ8

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    sr388 likes this.
  43. Mcminin

Mcminin

I remember hearing about pixel crushers assets integration back in 2018 on the thread, I think it was quest machine?
    Is this included in the asset yet? Can't find anything about it in the documentation.
    Currently looking to change over from the controller kit I'm using now, and everything I have worked on is made on pixel crushers assets so would be awesome if this is included!

sr388 likes this.
  44. sr388

sr388

Yeah, it is also in my user signature, maybe I could make it more visible, since I think the text of discord it self in my signature it is maybe a little hidden haha. Welcome again to the channel ;)

@Mcminin, yes, if you mean quest machine, it is planned to be integrated, but haven't found a chance to work on it yet, due to I have been focused on work on GKC it self before, to make general improvements and make it better on the last updates.

This is a list of the closest integrations planned so far (I think I maybe I am forgetting some):
    -Quest machine
    -Dialogue system
    -SCK
    -Cinemachine
    -Horse animator pro
    -Salsa
    -Destroy it
    -ABC ability control toolkit
    -UMA
    -Puppet master
    -Behavior designer
    -Rayfire
    -Rewired

Emerald is already integrated for example.

Regards.

Altair44 likes this.
  45. Mcminin

Mcminin

Darn, was hoping it was already integrated since you said you were going to work on in on 2.4 or something:(
    I hope to see you have some time soon to get it integrated, as it's the only thing holding me back from switching to a other controller than the one I currently use.
    I'm currently using both Dialogue System and Quest Machine from pixel crushers, and also Love/Hate but that would work out of the box if dialogue system and quest machine was intergrated

Thanks again, hope to see it in a future update :)

sr388 likes this.
  46. sr388

sr388

Yes, I am sorry for the wait, but the last couple of years have been really crazy, with so much work to do and to manage (more being only one person). So some priorities were necessary to focus first in work in the asset it self before moving to integrations.

But yes, I want to work on the above list the sooner possible, as integrations are always useful :)

Regards.

47. neoshaman

neoshaman

Hey let me bring back the feature creep demon lmao
    - you can sit on chair
    - what about sleeping on bed? :rolleyes: good rest is important in any open world rpg lol

also you are very close to be able to redo bungie's ONI, would be fun if the specific were compatible (like disarming, firing while disarming, back breaking, the various impact colors to feedback hit)

Meanwhile I have made some progress in implementing texture based GI, Terrain lod is planned too, I'll soon be able to use GKC

sr388 and Peppo87 like this.
  48. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have been making some more improvements here and there on the asset, for example, for the adherence system to move on slopes/stairs with actual mesh colliders, working better now when the player walks instead of run. Here the improved ground adherence on stairs when the player walks instead of running by default:

Also, similar to how it was made on the weapons, I have improved the inspector of the player's inventory, allowing to organize all the options in a more easy and intuitive way, to make easier to find them according to what you are looking:

Haha, yeah. There are actually a lot of examples that could be configured, including the bed and sleep ;)

I will put on the todo list to configure an example for that too.

About bungie's ONI, do you mean actions from that game? It would be interesting to take a look at it. And happy to hear about the terrain :)

Regards.

Peppo87 likes this.
  49. neoshaman

neoshaman

Here is the tutorial as you have shown interest

But movement like disarming, which lead to some spectacular choregraphy is missing (basically it play a disarming animation, but at any point you can trigger the firing, so when the weapon is toward the enemy it kill him and disable the animation, can also kill people on side when teh weapon is sideway, which lead to opportunistic struggle, you can also toss the weapon at enemy, since munition are sparse and hand combat powerful enough, it lead to situation like punch punch, empty ammo on enemy, toss weapon on second one, roll on the ground to pick up a weapon on the fly, turn on another enemy, and drop down from height onto another, disarming the guy near him while firing on the next, then on him during the struggle and ending the last guy with the weapon). Yeah you can pick a weapon in almost any state, like rolling, jumping, sliding, which allow for very fluid action choregraphy.

sr388 likes this.
  50. sr388

sr388

Aham, I see. It looks interesting, I will put the video on the todo list, to take a look at it ;) I think I haven't seen this game before.

Regards.