Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.6%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

30.0%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.2%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.0%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.1%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.5%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.6%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.4%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.2%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Razmot

Razmot

Oh btw for the vehicles attached to other vehicles, weapons in arms and back (and probably a lot more things, like multi camera setups) there is a new feature in unity 2018 that has not been very advertised :
    https://docs.unity3d.com/2018.1/Documentation/Manual/Constraints.html

a little excerpt from this page :

"To animate the sword moving from back to hand, add keyframes to change the weight of the hand from 0 to 1 with keyframes for the weight of the spine from 1 to 0."

2. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

This! :)

sr388 likes this.
  3. neoshaman

neoshaman

Well, looks like unity is actually making a GAME engine?
    Sound like they might use that (hopefully) to track dependency of ordering for updates!

sr388 likes this.
  4. sr388

sr388

Mmmm really interesting. I will take a look at that function. It could help to make and improve systems.

Thanks for tell about it.

Regards.

tgamorris76 and neoshaman like this.
  5. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Another progress update.

There is already an option to configure if a weapon can be dropped or not. This option is also checked by the pocket system if the player is going to pick a weapon from a pocket already occupied, so in this case, the new weapon is not picked and it can shows a message to tell to the player that he can’t pick that weapon or that the other weapon can't be dropped.

Also, I have finished the option to save/load current player's weapons between games. In the file is saved the state of every weapon: name, index, if it is enabled (in that case, the player can use it), remaining ammo and if it is the current weapon that player was using before. Similar to the input manager, you can select if the weapons at the beginning are the one configured in the inspector or in the list and also, if the weapons file info is save and/or loaded. Also, it allows to save the current weapons list configured in the inspector in editor mode.

For now, I am storing the weapons info into a separated file from save game file, taking into account that weapons file is just a list of elements. But I think the best option would be to use a json format to store all the game info into a single file, making easier to get every class element, individual or in a list.

Related to the save system, I am going to make an emtpy scene to use it as load screen, showing the percentage of the loaded scene, using an asynchronous loading.

Here the video (it is difficult to make gif to show this feature):

Also, here another cool gif with the locked camera, the flashlight and the improvement of the following of player position using waypoints:

flashlight mansion11.gif

Another element that I have planned to add is grass to allow the player to hide from enemies while he crouches, to add more stealth options.

Btw, here the current state of the new vehicle model:

upload_2018-4-29_0-22-46.png
    There are elements to add, like windows, but it is already enough, and it won't be too much fancy.

This new vehicle will be very useful to do, because it will include a lot of interaction elements combined, for example, a few doors that can be opened and closed, including the one of the back for the cargo system. There will be an option to enable the cursor in first person to use the ship interface (or in this case, the control panel) using the mouse, for example, to configure an auto pilot system, by holding a button like @Wetw0rx smartly suggested.

Also, it will allow to the player to move inside the vehicle while this is on air with the auto pilot.

Finally, in the cargo, I will place a motorbike to transport it with the helicopter.

Regards.

Mark_01, tgamorris76, Wetw0rx and 2 others like this.
  6. neoshaman

neoshaman

Almost finished the fundamental part

There is some weirdness at some position I need to track down ???

The tile 9,8,4,3 are weirdly placed especially given the enumeration of tile goes from down to top and right to left ???
    It create weird shape in the terrain that's no good :(
    This is the current github:
    https://github.com/Neoshaman/nomad-space/blob/master/project/planettest.cs
    I'm uploading file manually so the meta file of unity might not be up to date until I commit the entire project properly, still figuring it that whole source control workflow out :eek:
    I wouldn't mind a second perspective on the tile enumeration( in the updateTerrainPosition function) and tiling code over the corner (in the checkbound function). The code is prototype, so I'm going to overhaul as soon as I figure out all the weird stuff.

Getting planetary scale and coordinate to work seamlessly might prove a challenge, I'm still at scale where floating point isn't a problem. Then I can go properly pcg, with finding neighbor cell as top most priority to get sweet circulation generation over multiple cell (useful for road and river, etc ...)

tgamorris76 and sr388 like this.
  7. sr388

sr388

Really impressive men.

I could take a look at the code, though procedural generation and manual meshes genereration is a little out of my league yet.

Seems really promising and can't wait to see in movement.

Regards.

tgamorris76 and neoshaman like this.
  8. HiddenFace

HiddenFace

For multiplayer in next update, do you will integrate UNET or Photon?

9. sr388

sr388

An user asked me about this, here his questions and my answer:

Which route will you be going for multiplayer… photo PUN (or Bolt) or Unet?
    I wonder if I could eventually build a game like Fortnite with it or a battle arena game… once you add multiplayer?

My steps to add it will be the next:

• Control two characters on screen (like in resident evil revelations 2 where you can select one or other character and the other will follow your orders).
    • Split screen for two or more characters.
    • Online.
    Like this, it will allow me to prepare the asset to have more than one player in the scene and the same time and get the input from everyone (though more of these considerations have been already made).
    And it will allow me to know more about how to work with the online components.

I am not sure yet which online system I will use, the objective would be to use the easier and best system or the better and most used. Maybe, more than one could be added, so developers can choose any option according to the type of game.

Yeah, I would like to make the asset able to make similar games, from shooters, to cooperative, vehicle races, platforming, puzzle, adventure, point and click, etc....for one or multiple players.

Besides my search for information about both online systems and how to work with them, it is very probably that I will make another poll in this forum to ask users what system they prefer, Unet, Photon or both?

In case I integrated both, I would start with the easiest one.

Btw, the online won't be added in the next update, but it will be started (and hopefully finished) this year, in some time close to summer.

Regards.

10. Razmot

Razmot

One potentially very efficient way to implement multiplayer would be to integrate Rucksack. It's made for unet, and it's actually the full rewrite of inventory pro !

Mark_01 and sr388 like this.
  11. neoshaman

neoshaman

That's really not hard (in the case of what I'm doing), and it's infuriating that all the problem I had getting to that point was due to a bunch of mistyping that produce almost good but still bogus data,‎ it's corrected now, and I lost month of my life I won't get a refund on (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻
    Now I'm moving on to the next uncertainty, aka convex hull, I do task in perceived order of complexity, uncertainty and difficulty, I need convex hull for spore like pcg creatures because I have no idea how to that now (and nobody is doing it like that either) :rolleyes: Then I'll have to go back make actual pcg circulation work on the terrain (got some idea), then create LOD terrain for space to ground (documented everywhere) and finally floating point at big scale (documented but still hard, can find help) before starting polishing into a proper no man's sky clone.

Wetw0rx and sr388 like this.
  12. sr388

sr388

Mmmm, I will take a look at that, since very good.

But for the initial version of multiplayer, I would prefer to not be dependent from other assets (paid or free), but have a whole system working out of the box once it is imported.

Of course, one multiplayer is added into GKC, I can start to integrate this kind of systems from other useful assets, like Rucksack for example.

Of couse, the code from github doesn't seem complicated, it just start to think with procedural content in mind.

Know that feel of lose a lot of time and find out it was just a ridiculous issue xdd (like that face (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻)

But yeah, I will take a look at it. Also, the order you are following is the best you could do. I make the same organization, to try to get the best system and to not get frustrated. But it is easy to get stuck at some point. In this case, the best is take a break and/or change to another task (for example for the pcg for creatures system).

Regards.

Mark_01, tgamorris76 and neoshaman like this.
  13. sr388

sr388

Mark_01, Wetw0rx, danreid70 and 6 others like this.
  14. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Quick sneak peak of a wip feature system: Hide in the grass (or any place necessary) from enemies (damn gif size):

sneaking2.gif

sneaking4.gif

sneaking6.gif

sneaking7.gif
    Basically, the AI is able to know where you are but they can't attack due to player is hide. Also, it has icons in screen and in real world according to camera view. The ability to hide can be used in any character, no matter if AI or player. I will tell more about it tomorrow.

Regards.

15. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Hi sr :) good stuff lately. Just wondered if you could put up a readme as to how to get AI working properly. PlyGame seems to have screwed up my layers somewhat and not sure what layers character, and AI controller should be on and AI is acting weird and confused :(

16. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Love the grass btw :) will defo find a use for that

17. sr388

sr388

Sure, I will add to the documentation an explanation of every tag and layer configured, to know where use them.

Thanks, I only need a long ladder to make the classic SNAKE EAAAAATER meme xd.

Regards.

tgamorris76 likes this.
  18. neoshaman

neoshaman

I wonder, with so many inspiration, what game can be fully clone by now with all there gameplay inside gkc? I guess resident evil 1 would be a good candidate

sr388 and Wetw0rx like this.
  19. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

lol, MGS3 defo

sr388 likes this.
  20. sr388

sr388

I would say so (in fact, the mansion demo will become the whole mansion from resident evil 1, with all the puzzles, elements and objectives, maybe enemies could change, but the rest will be the same), and maybe some of the first silent hill (1-4). Part of a dead space, another part of gravity rush. Once the 2.5d mode is fully finished most part of metroid vania and same with graphic adventure type with the point and click system.

And probably some more that right now doesn't come to my mind.

Oh yes. Some of its mechanics will be interesing to add.

Regards.

tgamorris76 likes this.
  21. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Another update about the hide and sneak in grass, this time in a video, gifs are too small to show it properly:

There have been a lot of improvements in the hide system and in the AI (specially for the range of view along, which is adjustable using a float and with a min distance to attack to undetected enemies which are out of this range but aren't hidden and close enough to that AI).

There are some elements to improve a little bit, but the hide system is almost finished (won't take more than 1-2 days to finish it). I will explain all of it once is complete.

Regards.

22. Bob3000

Bob3000

That's very nice! Can you add an option to not use first person view in this sneak mode? Our game only use 3rd person & never switch to a first person HUD.(zoom a 3rd person gun to FPS will look bad because of the resolution.
    Good job!

sr388 and DrOcto like this.
  23. sr388

sr388

Thanks men.

Of course, currently, the stealth mode can be used in any view. But due to animations, there is a restriction in the weapons in third person to be used with the character standing (I need crouch strafe animations for this), so the character is not hidding in that mode with the configuration of that place to hide (the hide system can be used also standing).

The good news is these animations will be suplied soon by the animator artist that I will hire, so the third person movement will be improved and that includes the use of weapons (like walk and run while strafe standing and crouching).

About the first person, there is an option to allow to change between cameras, so you can limit the view that your game will use, only third person, only first person, a combination of them in different moments of both.

Regards.

neodotca likes this.
  24. neoshaman

neoshaman

would we have an interface for stealth perception modifier (like equip accessory, cloth, facepaint, use skill etc...)?

sr388 likes this.
  25. sr388

sr388

That would be very cool too (don't know why I didn't think about it for metal gear solid 3). Yeah, to the stealth system, a hidden/visible percentage could be easily added, and a range of perception could be configured in AI. Like this, different enemies could have different ability to detect to other character/players.

Right now, the hidden state is totally (true of false), so it could have another option to have a possibility of being discovered everytime an enemy pass closely according to his perception range.

This visible percentage could be configured by cloth (so cloth would have another field for this info, adding another modifier to decide what to wear according to situation), inventory/accesory object equipped (for example, for cloth/armor different slots will be available to add more abilites/properties, like power, protection, health, curse, etc...), abilities unlocked with level experience, etc...

For facepaint, that could me managed by configureing different extra materials to the player's skinned mesh, so it can be added too.

Sounds really interesting and it has a lot of possibilities, for example manage through inventory and some submenu for skills/abilities. Considere it done, thanks for the suggestion ;)

Regards.

neodotca, Wetw0rx and neoshaman like this.
  26. neoshaman

neoshaman

For detection, it's best to have at least 3 states:
    1. not detected
    2. suspicion
    3. detected.

With suspicion being a gauge, which can be use as a timer (zelda botw), as a transition timer (mgs5), a state trigger (research mode). That can be hijack by code to adapt per game or type of enemy (ranged would look from afar, melee could inspect source until they are in detection ranged, etc ...)

sr388 likes this.
  27. JC_LEON

JC_LEON

ehi mate.. i see today your great controller kit and i really loved it from the first instant.. i'm going to purchase it now since it'a on sale.. but before i have some question to ask to you

I read kit has a save load system yet but what i want to know is if the save/load system can save between scenes and if save even item in inventory flashlight and battery percentage, weapons and ammos etc..??

since i want to make and horror survival game i want to know if i can add my customized hunger, thirst, parameters to add at health system and so on..
    plus i want to know if the system has a jumpscare system too or if it could be added in future updates...
    could i use it to create an horror fps game only in first person view?
    In a prevoius post you taked about hiding system so we can hide under beds, tables ect.. do you want to add that in the kit.. that could be a nice addiction to my game project aswell

will be added some projectile weapons like granades.. crossbow /bow with pickable arrows ect and different types of ammos for same weAPONS??

can we have non ranged enemies buot only melee enemies with patrol ,chasing ect.. (zombies similar)?

is there an ai cover system for enemies ranged npc??

is simple replace hands+weapons with my own custom models?

thanks for your time

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    sr388 likes this.
  28. sr388

sr388

Yeah, this could be managed like this too, which is very similar to the current system (the suspicion state is used in the AI instead, when it is checking a threat for a certain amount, to add it to its detected target list).

In the hide system, every character has a bool hidden state, so maybe, the time to check a threat could be configured as another value in every character, being different for everyone one, instead of being the same time for the same AI (maybe even add a bullet time when the AI is in suspicion state, to attack it).

All added in the todo list.

Hi @JC_LEON.

Thanks for your interest in the asset and your purchase.

The current save system stores info about the current scene, the position and rotation for player and camera, the played time, the date save, chapter name, a capture made with a camera configure in any direction. Along this, there is a checkpoint system too, which saves all this info and in the save/load menu is show in a dedicated slot which can't be overwriten from this menu, only by the checkpoint itself (this checkpoint has been added in update 2.4c)

Also, there is a game menu to save/load, so you can have save stations in specific places of the game or allow the player to save anywhere in the game.

For update 2.4c (the current one in progress), the weapons are also stored/loaded automatically when a save is done, including the current weapon the player was using when the save was done and the remaining ammo (of course, the weapons that player drops or pick are also stored, so if the player save the game with only a flashlight and the revolver, these will be the active weapons when the player loads the game).

Even captures made with the smartphone camera tool are saved/loaded too, and can be deleted. Also, the action keys configured in the rebinding menu are stored/loaded too.

The rest of elements to be saved (like inventory, configuration in game, elements states in the level, like doors locked or unlocked or elements where an inventory object has been used and object scanned, including a encyclopedia of these scanned objects and a bestiary for enemies) will come soon, the inventory is very probably that will be added for update 2.4c, due to is really easy to add.

Here you can see the save system for weapons in GKC.

Yeah, the code is made to be easily extended. Also, I have planned to add these kind of elements, to have more elements that a survival horror could need (including stamina and sanity system).

Jumpscare are basically a trigger system which call to a unity event, and these elements are already included. The only element which could need is that scary element that happens, like a ghost model with a run animation and a sound or similar, so the trigger system activates the gameObject which contains this ghost model.

Of course, you can configure if the view in the game is only third person, only first person, configure these views according to certain moments or allow to change between views using a key action.

Also, like I said, I want to add more survival horror elements to the asset (including more elements from silent hill/resident evil and other horror games, like f.e.a.r), though with the current elements, most of the systems needed are already included.

Of course, with the already done stealth system, the only element left to add (or configure) is the move camera from the player position to the hidden one (and there is already a component for this, only need a couple of additions to allow to rotate the camera for example, and later even add mechanics like hold the breath and similar).

So this will allow to hide in any place you need.

Absolutely (in fact grenades are already added, to be used as projectiles for any weapon). The current weapons only have a field for the projectile that fires (which can be any type with the projectile behaviour system), and I will add an option to configure it as a list, so you will be able to shoot regular projectiles, grenades or chickens if you need it (no joke, you can shoot anything haha).

This option will be able to be modify ingame with the attachment system, which will allow to configure different elements in a weapon, like a silencer, laser sight, expanded magazine, fire type, secondary weapon shoot, ammo type, etc...), similar to crysis, holding the weapon in front of camera.

inset3_08_0111_crysis.jpg

Mmmm, there is already a patrol system, but this uses range to detect targets. Can you explain more about the system you need to get an idea? How would it work?

Not yet, but I want to add a cover system, usable not only for AI, but for any character, including player. The good part is that the player and characters use the same components (with options to configure if the current character is an AI or a player), so any improvement or new system added to the player, is automatically available for AI (though some of them could need to add a little behaviour code to manage it, like for example the close combat system, with timers and random decisions or for example a melee combat AI system for the future dark souls combat style, to take decisions to attack player and other AI).

Yes, every model in every prefab of the asset is made to be easy to replace the meshes for your own.

Here an image of the first person arms and the hierarchy:
    upload_2018-5-3_20-15-43.png

Blue arrows are the arms (mesh and skeleton) and red arrow is the weapon meshes elements (the weapons can be only one mesh or a couple to have elements to make an animation movement like a slider movement

Feel free to ask anything you doubt. Like you see, any suggestion helps a lot to make me think about new features or systems to add, so don't hesitate to suggest anything.

Regards.

neodotca, hopeful and DrOcto like this.
  29. JC_LEON

JC_LEON

Wow...really many thanks for your great reply and explainations...i never seen too much love like yours for an asset..
    Purchased the asset this yet and reading the great documentation...
    It's all overwhelming too me lol too much things to learn but i'm sure yours is a great template that will grow great..
    I think i'll take months to fully master the asset or simple scratch the surface LOL...

about melee enemies I was simply asking if we can have simply melee enemies with simple patters to simulate zombies and so on..maybe with an "hear AI system" to sense the player noise or the weapons shoot( or car noise) and be attracted from them..

30. sr388

sr388

Thanks men, for the comment and the purchase, it is a really big support. I really love to work with unity and this asset (almost every day, except I am tired or stucked with some system or element).

The documentation will become bigger soon and it is very probably I split it into littler documents to read them more easily (including the full text into a single file to allow to make search of key words easily).

Also, I tried to make everything as simple as possible, and in most of updates I improve the workflow of elements adding more custom inspector and different buttons to simplify everything, including custom wizard windows.
    Another new demo will include a corridor style scene to show better every feature one by one, to have a better idea of all the elements in the asset.

Mmmm I see, the hear AI system will be added too, and this will include steps (there are already stops volume configurable to when the player walks and crouches) that will alert enemies, weapons shots (unless you are using a silencer or a silent weapon witht he attachment system), projectile impacts and vehicles, even grabbing and launching an object will make noise that will call the atention of AI (basically this noise will be able to be added to anything).

About your AI movement, I was asking about the behaviour: when the AI detects the target to attack? By using a trigger or just by noises? In that case, the AI leaves the path and attack the target, or just move away a little and then it looses interest in the target?

Regards.

Wetw0rx likes this.
  31. JC_LEON

JC_LEON

thanks again for your reply ..and about AI both solutions are good enough but the noie solution with the AI that leaves the path and move to attack the target if the target is insight or loose interest if the target is out of sight or is hiding ..this could be great..imho

sr388 likes this.
  32. bathyscaphe

bathyscaphe

Hi) I finnaly buing it) Simple question - from 2.4c will be true support of 2017.1 + versions of unity? Becouse with 2017.4 i have some troubles with IK and input=) Simply i cant leave to 2017.1 and support of lastest 2017 is very importent.

About asset - it perfect! Thanks

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    neodotca and sr388 like this.
  33. sr388

sr388

Sure, I will add these behaviours with he noise detection system ;)

Thanks for your purchase @bathyscaphe.

Yeah, I will make tests in 2017.3 and 2017.4 to make sure everything in GKC works properly in these unity versions (it is just a little difficult to try all new unity releases due to the last months they have launched a ton of new versions haha).

Regards.

tgamorris76 and joshua_42 like this.
  34. dbknights2000

dbknights2000

Just updated to Unity 2018 and bought your product. Can't run it due to the particle system errors,
    how soon for an update so that I may be able to use what I Purchased?

35. Razmot

Razmot

If you add // at the beginning of the lines with the errors with the .emit calls it works fine, it takes 3 minutes to do

Wetw0rx likes this.
  36. sr388

sr388

Hi @dbknights2000.

Thanks for your purchase. Sorry for the problem with particles, it is due to use the legacy particles (the old system) in some particles used in the asset.

This will solved very soon, I will upload an update to the asset store this weekend to replace the old particles to avoid this issue.

In the meantime, you can install unity 2017.1 and use the asset there. You can install different versions of unity in the same pc at the same time (so you can have both unity 2017 and 2018 for example), just by configuring a new folder in the installation.

Sorry again for this issue.

Regards.

37. magique

magique

I picked this up on sale and hope to give it a try this weekend. I think this could definitely be useful for a future game idea.

tgamorris76 and sr388 like this.
  38. sr388

sr388

Thanks for the support @magique, you won't regret it. I had would like to have the lower version support in unity 5 for your current wii u project.

But I am pretty sure you will have another project where GKC will fit perfectly.

Regards.

39. magique

magique

We are able to use Unity 2017.1.3p3 now for Wii U so I can even give it a try there. I don't think it's suitable for my current project because the lack of melee weapon support, but maybe for something else a little later.

sr388 likes this.
  40. sr388

sr388

Oh right, that was the other reason, I forgot it.

Anyway, I will tell here when the melee weapon is started and finished. First, I need to get the new animations for regular third person movement for the new animator that will be made and once this is done, the animator artist will make combat animations to make a dark souls style system (though this style can be a little different and in the future, have a group of different melee combat systems according to the type of game).

Regards.

Bob3000 likes this.
  41. magique

magique

Sounds good.

42. 3DWizerd

3DWizerd

Just need the Melee take down and the stealth is complete

43. Bob3000

Bob3000

While you are at it, maybe the Jetpack animation needs some love, primarily when start/stop the body & arms are twisted beyond joints limits, or stiff with no motion. There is a bug also, when armed cannot activate jetpack, yet after activation you can arm but cannot shoot while flying, even your hands are holding a gun not the jetpack control.

I think an option to let the player to shoot when flying would fix it. Star wars Battlefront 2 multiplayer Jetpack animation is a good reference, the lower body & legs seems to ragdoll a little, looks really natural.

neodotca likes this.
  44. sr388

sr388

Mmmm I didn't think about this, which would require two animations, one for the player and another for the enemy killed. But sounds good. I will see if I can work with the person which will take care of the animations to get this kind of systems.

Yeah, the jetpack needs some improvements (along with the fly system). Both use IK to work, so a better movement can be added, like you said, to give a more natural aspect. Also, using the weapons in this mode is something that I would like to add, so maybe in a future update can be added.

Btw, I have been improving the hide system and now there are two of them: the free and the locked mode. The first one allows to move freely while your are hidden (like grass) and the other place the player into a fixed position (like a locker, under a table, etc...).

In this mode, the AI is able to know where you are but they can't attack due to player is hidden. It allows to configure if the character needs to crouch or not, if the character can’t move to avoid being detected and if the hidden state is temporal and he will be visible again to AI in x seconds.

In hidden state, if the character attacks to an enemy, the character will be visible until none member from that AI faction has that character stored as a detected target, which is removed when all faction members that have seen him die.

Also, it has a character state icons in screen and in real world according to camera view, showing the current state of the character (for now, hidden, visible, surprised and wondering, these last two used in the AI), to show the state of the character in every moment, with option to use sounds, like hummm or alert clips.

About the hide in locked places, it can be configure to be use anywhere: tables, lockers, below vehicles, boxes, trash can, under beds….any place you need, where the player hides in a place where he can't move, making it invisible to AI. In this state, there are options to configure if the player can move and rotate the camera inside a range, with option to use a spring movement to reset rotation and position. This option can be enabled and disable ingame with the right button of the mouse and more actions in this state can be added. Also, it has two events configurable when the player hides and makes visible again.

Also, the AI and the faction system has been improved for a better detection of targets and management of these. The AI is now able to give the alert to close AI (inside a configurable radius) from the same faction about an enemy detected.

Here some gifs:

hide locker.gif

hide locker3.gif

hide locker4.gif

hide locker6.gif

hide locker7.gif

Here the changelog about these elements with a better explanation:

Here a video with some of these elements:

I will upload another short video showing the configuration of range for rotation and movement in the locked places to hide.

Sorry for so much text, I really explain myself very bad sometimes xd.

Regards.

Wetw0rx likes this.
  45. FunkyBuddha

FunkyBuddha

@sr388

Really interested grabbing a copy of your asset, just one question, I saw in your asset description that it can integrate Emerad Ai, how about Opasive's behavior designer? Do you have a list of what assets can be integrated. Thanks.

sr388 and neodotca like this.
  46. JC_LEON

JC_LEON

mate.. you're great....this is by far one of the best assets (if not the best) on the store..and sincerly for sure the most devoted developer with great love for his asset.

47. ivolga-indi

ivolga-indi

48. sr388

sr388

Hi @FunkyBuddha. Thanks for your interest in the asset. Yeah, Emerald was integrated, though it need some modifications due to the faction system which was added to GKC to define relations between groups of npcs and player, to configure who are allies, who enemies, who is neutral, etc... This new faction system replaced the old tags system, so that is why it needs a little change to work with emerald again, and this will be made soon.

Yeah, behavior designer would be another interesting integration, I know that asset but I have never try it.

About other assets to integrate, I haven't a list yet, due to I am focusing more into make the core of the asset as solid as possible, making my own systems for it (those which are a lot of different solutions and can be achieved without problem, like map, inventory, save system, vehicles, AI, dialog, etc.....) The reason for that is that I want to unify all the elements a game could need into a single asset to avoid to join a lot of projects, make a lot of purchases, wait for integrations, etc...

Of course, there are elements that are easier to integrate instead of make them again, like lipsync, morph 3d, gaia, etc..., so this is the kind of assets I would like to check to make them work with GKC without problem.

By what other users told me, assets like the above and other like plygame and dialog system works too with GKC.

But yeah, you can expect that in a future, more assets will be integrated, just need more time to keep working in this asset to make it as good as possible by itself (and I am close to it, especially with the aspect change that a new 3d model for the character and new animations with new systems will bring soon).

Thanks @JC_LEON, I really appreciate this kind of comments, always put a smile in my face haha (I wish I could be as good as other developers, but I won't give up). This asset is like my boy, I am teaching him to hunt to be a man one day.....BOY (bad god of war pun xd). Lot of fun working on it, sharing the progress and talking with you people here, love this forum.

Mmmm interesting, I will try it, seems useful to simplify tasks with unity.

Regards.

neodotca likes this.
  49. neoshaman

neoshaman

Do you have a "last seen position" features? That is:
    1. the AI does not track the player directly, but the "last seen position" variable,
    2. it's always updated when the player's seen, but don't when she is occluded,
    3. the enemy try to reach that position before starting "inspecting" the environment (maybe shifting to a suspicion/alert mode),
    4. if the player's is within perceptive range but outside certainty distance (aka suspicion), the enemy mark a pause, turn toward the "last seen position", (if the enemy has the "personality" investigative) then go closer to it until:
    a. the player is in certainty range
    b. the player moved or hide, so it reach the "last seen position", start patrolling around that point, then resume patrolling to it's idle spots or patrol routes

Do you have hooks for a random barking system based on ai events? Basically the big lesson game like fear, half life 1 and halo gave to game developer is that broadcasting internal AI state is one of the most important things for believable AI. For example:
    - "he is over here", when detecting the player
    - "I have lost sight" when losing eye contact
    - "I'm seeing something" when suspicion is raise by a seeing events
    - "I'm hearing something" when suspicion is raise by sound events
    - "I need back up" when low on life
    - etc...

Hooks for personality tweak on the core AI, basically special transition rules/variable to have variation of enemy behavior, for example coward enemy seeking "back up" to "close ally" inside a radius, "zealous" going to investigate everything suspicious, "lazy" not bothering investigating suspicious events, etc...

The ability to tag place and area, which not only could have a simple gui showing the name where the player is. with at least two level of hierarchy, the global area name, and specific spot as child. The spot are for hooks with the barking system so we can identify where the player is and have the AI bark "he is in <spot>". Bonus challenge level: if you have connectivity data on each area, that can be tagged, so the AI can say "he is going toward <spot>/<area>".

The ability for area to keep track of data inside them to broadcast to ai, for example how many enemy are in a zone, what type of zone it is, etc ... It can allow enemy to decide either to flee, to push or to seek back up based on their personality. Allow to tag area with contextual info to signify its type, for example for signifying the player he is entering a dangerous zone (like assassin's creed), that the space is public or private and to what degree (for social tweak on npc reaction), ownership tag that tell who own the place (for detection of alliance, a stranger in a highly private place is suspicious, not so much in a very public place).

Alert level: before the player is detected, the ai is in "relax" state or idle, after detection if the player evade and the suspicion state is expired, they go back to a "alerted idle" where they are aware of the presence of the player, can be mostly cosmetic (new barks and idle) or affect gameplay (tighter suspicion and investigation). It can increase at each detection a specified number of time.

Localize event broadcast: basically decoupling event from the player character, for example a sound event can broadcast to any object inside it's radius, prompting suspicion to the AI and set the "last seen position" to the even position.

Important object keeping track of ownership and "last owned position": basically if an AI see an object they can inspect it's ownership and know it belongs too, then compare to their faction (or custom social graph made by the dev or provided by another asset or future version of this asset) to see if they know the owner and have appropriate answer based on player's alliance/faction/reputation/affinity/disguise, etc ... Also the object have a "last own position" "object" which can be updated by various condition, basically the AI inspect the "last known position" object and detect if the object is close to it, depending on the distance he can have various reaction, if inside a wiggle radius, it's considered at the same place, inside a certain range, it's considered "moved" and if the object is out of perception it is considered "disappeared". This can have many use, combined with ownership, it can be used to see if the player have stolen an object, if the object is important (like a piece in the museum, the slot signal it's been stolen to ai), when the AI move the object, he can update the "last position", it can help ai to see if things has been messed up (a chair moved), etc ... Can be use for the new constrain system used in unity to tie the last own place to moving object like conveyor belt.

50. sr388

sr388

When I started with the hide system, I thought too about this same aspect, a new function to store the position where the player was seen for the last time, before an enemy loss track of it, so the enemy (or enemies who received the alert) check it out. Like this, the AI will be less robotic and smart and more human and natural.

Really really well explained and detail, hat off men. In fact all this is the kind of stuff that I want to add to the AI, though I haven't even thought some of these elements and now that you mention I only want to try them xd.

Also, really cool and useful the system to configure public and private property, assigning a faction to the private one, so the faction maybe doesn't damage to other factions in public, but in private, they kill or capture any intruder. Similar to games like assassins creed or similar stealth games.

And same for objects position, for example to make game parts where the player needs to enter a private part of a museum or the same part as visitors, and try to steal some object without being noticed and increase the vigilance in every object stolen.

This private thing has also made me think about hack systems like in watch dogs 1 and 2, so for the museum example, you have to keep track of cameras, hack systems (like give the fire alert, rotate or disable security cameras, or replace its current footage for a capture made by the smartphone, call by telephone to guards, turn down the light in different places of the building, activate a smoke grenade to similate fire and remove people from a room, etc....) and use this to steal the objects needed, or even to make a hitman style game, to kill specific targets.

Another copy paste to the todo list to use it as a kind of manual/instructions haha. Like, always thanks for these suggestions, they really deserve to give a try.

Regards.