Search Unity

50% OFF Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.6%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

29.9%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.1%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.1%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.3%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.4%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.7%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.5%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.7%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. neoshaman

neoshaman

Yeah just a way to discriminate objects so i can cut one or multiple enemy in a crowd without cutting other element of the crowd.

sr388 likes this.
  2. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Before you keep adding more and more features, any plans for making a current tutorial in using your asset from beginning to end (including you procedurally generated level tools?)You have some random small tutorials that are fairly old but it would be nice to see an updated unified one.

sr388 and runealdoo like this.
  3. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have added an axe example, with attacks and combos configured for this kind of weapon, including also the option to throw and return and the slice mode can be used on it as well:

Of course, that is how it currently works, so without that slice component, the weapon will only apply damage or/and physics to rigidbodies according to settings, allow to activate any of those or none. I will record some example of that during the next week ;)

Of course, I have been working on massive improvements on 3.02 updates related to workflow, simplification of systems and steps related to configuration and use, to make systems faster and more intuitive to use. And 3.02g is teh last update in the 3.02 version (as 3.03 will be the next one), so I will be back to record more tutorial videos and adding more content to the doc, in order to explain properly previous and new systems.

The character creator has been also improved, allowing to customize the main options in the player when it is created, having those options in creator wizard it self, so you can quickstart your project much easier based on the genre that you want to make, which will also makes things simpler and faster :)

So yeah, you can be sure more tutorials and doc will arrive soon (including new content for the upcoming 3.02g), to cover all the systems and anything that have changed during those improvements.

I am sorry that this update has taken more time than expected, I just want to make sure to get the best content and quality possible on it.

And actually, the videos and elements that I have been showing in the last weeks were added on the asset some time ago, I have been focused on testing and removing any bug for the update during that time instead of adding more stuff, just some additions here and there for improvements and polish, in order to finish the update, which is very very close to be complete :D

Regards.

StevenPicard, runealdoo and Peppo87 like this.
  4. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have added options on the melee attacks to configure an amount of stamina on each attack and added the panel to show the input available during the melee attack mode:

I have been testing a little the slice system for characters (any skinned mesh renderer) and it seems interesting:

Regards.

5. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a couple more of videos showing some more elements of the melee attack sytem, breaking some stuff on throwing or attacking with the weapon:

And here the cutting mode, which even if no component to slice is found, it can apply damage to any other object on its path. Also, you can see how the damage detection is made following the cut line, so you can make damage with more precision:

Regards.

MorpheusXI, DrOcto, Peppo87 and 4 others like this.
  6. neoshaman

neoshaman

Dumb idea:
    Let say I want my game to be flashy, I have the character cut an object, but cuts is only apply when I snap the finger at the end? is it possible?

sr388 likes this.
  7. hopeful

hopeful

Hey @sr388, do we have the ability to toss and catch?

I was just thinking about it, and I thought it might be close to already being present. (Maybe I've even asked about it before.)

Like, could a pet NPC throw something to the player, and the player catch it?

A mechanic like that could be used to play catch, like with a ball or frisbee, or to exchange clips of ammo, toss a medkit, or all kinds of things.

sr388 and DrOcto like this.
  8. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here you can see the option for hands, to customize its gesture when using weapons, so they can look properly like holding a pistol, a rifle, etc... adjusting its finger to the grip of the weapon, according to its size and the way is held (I have to check a couple of elements to it, but you can get an idea of how it looks and works):

You can adjust the grab animation on each hand separately in the IK Weapon System component, on each weapon.

I think it hasn't been mentioned so far, or at least, that I can remember. It sounds interesting, kind of reminds me to half life 2 when getting the gravity gun and playing with dog to catch the ball haha.

For it, all the elements are already on the asset, as it would be used through the grab object system to catch or throw objects (if you press and hold the throw key, T by default, you throw the object instead of drop it). Along with it, I want to configure an option to use the action system to play a grab object and a throw object, so instead of just placing the object on player's hand and drop it.

That option would allow to play animations for both actions, to make it look more natural, like it is being done with the rest of elements, including the get on and off from vehicles, which is already working with the action system to play animations to get on/off from vehicles like any other game used to do, instead of spawning the passenger in or out (I will show that during this week :) )

Let me know what you think about the grab and throw option, if that was what you meant.

Yes, it would be possible. It would be a matter of have an option to "store" the cuts made to an object (aka, the vector3 direction of the cut, which is the info used to apply the cut) instead of apply those cuts directly. Once that is done, you could configure an input action, with an animation through the action system if you want, and with its event, call to the slice system to "confirm to apply those cuts", activate the slices on each direction that were made.

Kind of like "you are already dead but you don't know it" haha. Let me know if this is clear enough. I could add that option to the todo list for 3.03, as there are melee elements that will be added on that update to complete and extend the melee combat system.

Regards.

9. hopeful

hopeful

Will it allow us to catch the object while it is in the air? If so, awesome!

I can see where something like that would be fun and handy. Just more to look forward to in the next update. :)

sr388 likes this.
  10. hopeful

hopeful

As for storing the slices, that would let us do the classic Zorro move where we slice the candle too swiftly to be seen, and then it falls apart. Or a Roadrunner / Coyote thing where the disastrous consequence to the Coyote occurs in delayed fashion. ;)

sr388 and Peppo87 like this.
  11. sr388

sr388

Yes, the interaction with objects stills working while the player is on the air, so if an object is in the range, it can be grabbed.

I would like to add some demo example with a similar logic to the half life 2 scene grabbing and throwing stuff with some NPC. I have that in the todo list for another update ;)

Haha, exactly. Reminds me to something like this:

IdolizedSimilarCow-size_restricted.gif

Regards.

hopeful and Peppo87 like this.
  12. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have configured the event settings on the throw/return object, to enable/disable the close combat mode while the player doesn't get back the weapon, so similar to god of war, the player can toggle between using the melee weapon and the close combat when he has thrown that weapon, giving more options for combat. Of course, this can be disabled, to only use the regular weapon to attack (ignore the awkward parts, like the weapon attached to enemies or the close combat, that has been improved already):

Also, you can see in the video, that the weapon applies damage on any object in its path when returning to player's hand (this can be also disabled if not needed):

Regards.

13. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have been improving more the combat system, including the damage detection, to trigger events when an object which can be damaged is detected by the weapon, allowing to trigger custom events configured for that attack in certain, like camera shakes, pause the animation frames x amount of time on the player, slow down time during a certain amount of time, etc... I will show that tomorrow. In the meantime, here another clip of the melee attack system combined with the close combat system when the player has thrown his weapon:

I have only half text page of tasks to finish the update 3.02g, so after quiet some time, this new version will be complete very soon :)

Regards.

14. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have been improving the melee attack system, now it allows to configure custom events on each attack separately when an object to damage is detected, allowing to customize effects like camera shakes, sounds, particles, time bullet, even a frozen frame system for the animation of the character (I will show more about this tomorrow, it is a simple component to reduce frames on an animation):

Also, here the option to configure the timing for when the damage detection is active and when not while doing an attack with a weapon, applying damage to all the detected objects by that weapon:

Btw, @Ziron999, I am the developer of Game Kit Controller. I tried to send you a PM, but for some reason, the forum doesn't allow to it (or maybe you have the conversation system configured like that, which is understandable).

I would like to talk with you to get a further feedback about the asset, as I really would like to hear more from you about it :) If you agree, send me a PM message here on discord or through the support email (you can find it in the doc).

Thanks for your time and I would understand that you are not interested in spend time for this. In any case, thanks again.

Regards.

EN_Games, hopeful and Peppo87 like this.
  15. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have added an option to use a different dodge set of actions while using a certain melee weapon, so each weapon can use a different style of dodge or roll, according to what you prefer:

Also, I have improved the detection of targets, to avoid to apply too much force on ragdoll, like in previous videos:

Regards.

EN_Games, Peppo87 and hopeful like this.
  16. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I configured some skills examples of the melee attack system, to manage different elements of the melee combat values, like if the throw-return weapon is unlocked, or the cutting mode, or general multipliers for values like damage or stamina on attacks. I put a lot of them, to improve and unlock all these elements (it can be customized as needed, so you can add or remove those if you need to):

Also, here another example of different feedback when an object to damage is detected during an attack:

Regards.

17. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

For those who like to cut things to pieces:

The slice mode already can cut characters in pieces, killing them as well in the process and you can customize this on any model with skeleton (skinned mesh renderer) and chossing what part to cut first:

Btw, I have been working on the melee AI these days and the main structure is already finished, so the update 3.02g will include both melee combat system and the AI brain to use this system and fight the player and between them as well :)

This AI for the melee is the only task left to finish to complete this update (finally), so almost there.

Regards.

MorpheusXI, EN_Games, Peppo87 and 3 others like this.
  18. paulojsam

paulojsam

amazing as usual :p

sr388 likes this.
  19. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have added an option to configure sounds for the melee weapons, including when detecting an object to damage, any other type of surface and when also no object is detected, so sounds like swings can be played:

Also, it includes the example to make the player to recoil or reflection on certain type of surfaces, like a metal wall, similar to dark souls games, that can be customized separately and setting the sounds, particles and events on damage detection with melee weapons:

Thanks @paulojsam, really happy to hear that :)

Regards.

MorpheusXI, EN_Games, JRD and 2 others like this.
  20. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have added more examples of the deflection surfaces, having also different reactions for the same surface, played randomly and adding more types, some of them can stunn the player for a while too or create bigger reactions (the last one has been improved and it will be shown another day):

Also, I added the option on the AI to remove the player as partner of the AI if he gets farther away enough (configurable by min distance) and configure an example of the assassins creed style for hiding of enemies by moving with the AI, so that keeps you out of the detection of the AI as long as you remain inside (it is the hide system just following the AI position, that allows to remain hidden):

Regards.

hopeful, Peppo87 and EN_Games like this.
  21. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a video more polished and with better settings for the reflection examples, for the surfaces which stunns the player:

Here you can see how this is configured, just a component attached to a surface with the type of surface, to trigger different effects:

1.png
    And the list of possible surfaces and the effect which each one triggers, in this case, the hit reaction on the action system.

2 (1).png

Regards.

22. paulojsam

paulojsam

are you thinking in adding a bow as a weapon?

sr388 and Peppo87 like this.
  23. hopeful

hopeful

I think bow might already be covered, if you have your own animations. Good question, though.

sr388 likes this.
  24. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have been improving the actions on the AI, like activating a finishing move after stunn the enemies with certain types of attacks, like a special one (it has been already more polished :) ):

No, a bow example is not currently configured in 3.02f, but yes, it is planned to add that type of weapon and more related to melee (maces, spears, dual wield swords, shields, etc...) in 3.03, as part of the melee elements that are not in 3.02g. Mostly to avoid any more delays for this upcoming update. So that will be available for 3.03 ;)

Regards.

25. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I tweaked the look at position transform used on AI (used to uses a raycast for weapons) and their current target receives damage from firing weapons, no matter the close the target is to the AI:

I also added an option on the melee weapon system for the throw weapon movement to check if the weapon follows the object position to reach it based on a simple component attached to that object, so even if the object moves, the weapon makes a trayectory towards it:

Regards.

26. hopeful

hopeful

@sr388 - FWIW, I thought archery would be covered within the current framework because it is a projectile attack. Especially with the feature above to have the projectile follow a moving target, it seems like it should work, right? Provided there is an archery animation.

Archery is a bit complex in that the arrow must be nocked on the bowstring and then appear to travel when fired. I think the way it is usually done is they have an arrow that is always used with the bow and animated with it - during the pull and targeting - then the renderer for that arrow is turned off, and a new arrow appears in its place for the arrow traveling to target effect. There would also be an animation for pulling an arrow from a quiver and nocking it on the string.

sr388 likes this.
  27. neoshaman

neoshaman

Also the different flavor of Zelda series boomerangs

sr388 likes this.
  28. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have been tweaking more the attacks and settings of the melee system, including an option to allow to interrupt actions with other actions, by using a "category" setting on each action, so each action has the options to interrupt any action of a certain category, for example, the roll and dodge can interrupt any melee attack action at any moment (this can be of course customized to be disabled as you prefer):

And also, here another example of another type of combat style with two hands sword (some of the attacks only use animations in the upper body, allowing to keep moving while doing that attack):

Yes, that is mostly the process I have structured for the way the bow/arrow will work, using some components that are already on the asset, such as the trayectory calculation,giving a point from a rayast in the camera to detect the surface for the arrow (within some range limits) and using a new behavior created for this weapon, in the same way that was done with other special weapons/tools in the asset, such as the gravity gun, the flashlight, smartphone, etc...

Also, the action system and the possibility to use separated animations which blend smoothly for upper and lower body, will allow to have each one configured for the bow.

The bow will be added on 3.03, along other melee type weapons and more RPG elements, to cover the rest of the elements of the melee system it self that due to time, hasn't been already added for 3.02g, to avoid more delays.

I am already working in the new demo scenes to show the new stuff in the new update and almost finished the checks on the melee AI too. So very close to the end :)

Of course, a boomerang weapon type is also planned, as it will be an extension of the current throw/return weapon system for the current melee weapon system, allowing to target different objects and enemies, so the boomerang can follow one or more targets and be used for other mechanics as well, similar to zelda games.

Also, there are a lot of elements from breath of the wild that are planned to be added to the asset in next updates, so really excited to work on that the sooner possible.

Regards.

29. neoshaman

neoshaman

Expand to genshin impact too, which is a free game :D

sr388 likes this.
  30. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

More progress finished today. Along with that, I finished to configure each melee weapon example, I have to tweak a couple of elements in some of them, but here you can see the one hand sword:

And the knife example, which has some attacks made in place (pausing movement) and others combine movement on the lower body and play the separated animation of the attack in the upper body:

Haha, yeah, I have been playing that game for a while and it is good, not at the level of botw, but it is a prety solid game, which an interesting combat system. I will take some ideas from it for future elements of the combat system of GKC.

Regards.

MorpheusXI, EN_Games and Peppo87 like this.
  31. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

More work done today and I have also added an example of a melee attack which activates a kind of magic, which is basically the same used on the electricity ability, but this time activated by a melee attack, along with trigger an action on the AI for a "shocking" reaction to it, here you can see both examples:

Regards.

EN_Games, Peppo87 and MorpheusXI like this.
  32. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

The throw weapon to characters action has been improved, attaching the weapon properly to the closest body part, in this case, I have configured chest and head as possible places to attach the weapons, so they are adjusted to such positions, to look like the enemies are wondering around stabbed by the weapon until you call it back:

Regards.

33. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I keep improving different elements, including the option to toogle between strafe and free run/sprint movement when using melee weapons, so in each weapon, it can be customized if the player runs/sprints freely without the strafe mode in that state (like the example of the axe or the knife) or keeping the strafe mode (like when holding the swords):

And here some examples throwing the knife at different objects:

I want to make a demo build of the melee system for this week, including a few AI to fight against them and put also some AI to fight with each other, so you can either try the player fighting with them, and see the results with AI fighting each other too :)
    As soon as I have it ready, I will publish it here. The feedback will be very welcome.

Regards.

34. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

As promised, here the example configured to enter/exit from vehicles through the action system, to play animations when entering/exiting from vehicles instead of spawn inside or outside directly (which stills being an available option as well):

It was pretty quick to add and mostly need a couple of additions on the vehicle system to activate the action system on the character (will tweak the values a little more). It will be also usable on AI, so as passengers, they will be able to use this. It will even have a check to cancel the enter action and activate the ragdoll state if the vehicle speed is higher than x value, similar to GTA games.

Regards.

35. sr388

sr388

Good news, everyone.

Here a demo build of the melee combat system and the melee AI as well. So feel free to try it and of course, any feedback about it is very welcome and helps a lot :D

GKC 3.02g Melee Combat System and AI Demo Build

And here another example of the AI using the action system to get on and off from vehicles with the player, as all the AI will have the action system configured and ready to use and any seat of any vehicle can have its own enter-exit action:

Regards.

36. JRD

JRD

Works great!!! when can we get 3.02g so we can start working on melee ai :)

sr388 likes this.
  37. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have been adding the option to cancel the action to enter/exit from vehicles if the vehicle gets too far of the passenger or reaches a speed higher than x during this action, so in that case, through the remote event system, the action it self is stopped and the character enters in ragdoll state, similar to GTA games:

I have also added the movement input to vehicles by any key and not only with the vertical and horizontal axis values (default WASD), so it can be customized if each one is used by regular keys or using the vertical or horizontal axis or both or none of them. This also allows to use other buttons on the gamepad for the acceleration, like using the triggers to accelerate or move backwards instead of the joystick.

Thanks @JRD, I am really happy to hear that :) About your question, 3.02g should be finished and ready to be uploaded to the asset store in the next days, as I only need to make a couple of new demo scenes and make the usual new captures for the asset store draft, update the metadata and similar stuff, which should be quick.

So yeah, almost there :)

Regards.

38. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Very good day of progress and tasks completed. Here you can see the option added for input to use other keys for movement than usual WASD along with other buttons on gamepad rather than the joystick, by using the triggers on it for the acceleration and the back direction (in the video, I switch the regular joystick on and off) you can play both videos at the same time to see how it works in real time:

Regards.

39. MorpheusXI

MorpheusXI

sr388 - Great work on the enter exit, looks awesome! This brings another top feature to GKC in helping game makers use features of the big boys - thanks for all your hard work many appreciate it.

hopeful and sr388 like this.
  40. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here you can see some different throw actions for the melee weapon that I have configured in the option to activate a random animation on a certain action (in this case, throw melee weapon), having 4 different animations played on random order:

Thanks @MorpheusXI for your kind words, I really appreciate them a lot. The update is almost ready, I am working in the last minor details and checks :)

Regards.

EN_Games, Peppo87 and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  41. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have added an special type of attack to the close combat sytem with a few examples, similar to the melee system (this didn't require new code, just like the the melee combat, it allows to add different list of attacks with an specific name used for the input, like you can see in the image).

combat.png

I will replace some of the close combat animations for others with a better aspect, to show better this system. I also added an option to change the idle ID on combat mode, to have a better posture:

Regards.

42. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have improved the enter/exit from vehicles to allow to cancel the enter on the vehicle if the player hasn't started the enter animation, and avoid that the process is stopped during the enter and exit animation it self (when the player walks instead of run, that is when he is just moving automatically toward the enter position):

More progress made today, including to replace the close combat animations for some others (maybe I will replace some of it for some other better looking), including a few new attacks:

Regards.

43. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have added a simple creator wizard to configure automatically objects to carry physically on player's hands, to make this process much faster, with mostly a couple of clicks and adjusting the IK positions of player's hands and the position reference to carry the object in the player's body. Here a quick example of the regular steps for it:

Here another example of the grab objects creator wizard, showing other object configuration, which is always the same, create object, adjust reference positions and IK positions for hands (and elbows if needed) and voila:

Regards.

wersw73, runealdoo, Peppo87 and 2 others like this.
  44. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have added a melee weapons manager, so the player can carry multiple melee weapons and change between them in a similar way to the fire weapons, including to draw/holster them and use the number keys to change between the available weapons. It also allows to throw any of them and recover the weaopn if you change back to it (or just press the recover weapon key). There are also option to hide or show the weapon mesh in the player's body when he is not using a weapon that he has available to use:

This also allows to configure an initial melee weapon (or initial list) to have them already active:

Regards.

EN_Games, JRD, Peppo87 and 1 other person like this.
  45. Noir_Nightingale

Noir_Nightingale

Hi!
    Is there a detailed AI setup guide?
    Better yet with Waypoint Patrol for AI. I do everything according to the examples in the example scenes, but something is missing. Waypoint Patrol just doesn't work :(

46. sr388

sr388

Hi @Noir_Nightingale.

Not yet, but I am going to add that content to the doc for the new update 3.02g, which is almost complete. Of course, I will glad to solve any doubt or issue with it in the meantime :)

About your issue, check this video, it shows the quick process to add the patrol system to any AI with just a couple of clicks. After that, you only need to customize the waypoints settings and add/remove as many as you need.

Let me know your results with it (no rush). If you keep having problems with it, send me a direct message here on the forum or by the support email, to take a better look at it or/and make a remote session to help you better with it ;)

Regards.

Peppo87, BackwoodsGaming and hopeful like this.
  47. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Very good day of progress, I have removed a whole text page of task, only 3 to go, and those should be even faster ^^ In the meantime, I added a check for vehicles to auto brake when the player is getting off, so the vehicle stops before the player plays the action for the get off animation:

I added the option to acticate a jump off from vehicles action, so if the vehicle is going too fast, the driver and any passenger will just jump out of the vehicle, instead of activate the auto break, allowing to configure the minimum speed for that, to activate one action (auto break and get off) or the other (jump off directly):

Regards.

48. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here an example of the option to change the movement speed of the player when carrying objects, allowing to reduce its movement speed for heavy objects or even change its regular animation tree movement, to show that the player is struggling to carry it or show any other state on this mode:

Regards.

hopeful, EN_Games, Peppo87 and 2 others like this.
  49. Noir_Nightingale

Noir_Nightingale

Thanks for your feedback!
    I did everything as in the video before, but unfortunately the character does not move.
    Here are the errors that the console gives me. There are no such notifications in the video that you showed me above:
    upload_2020-10-31_0-53-51.png upload_2020-10-31_0-53-10.png

50. sr388

sr388

Seeing those messages, it seems that the navigation mesh wasn't baked in that scene, which is used to calculate the paths for the AI to reach any position in the scene, did you apply that process?

It is located here and it will show this blue tile over your current scene, in the Navigation window:

upload_2020-10-31_1-34-2.png

Let me know if you have the navmesh baked or not, as it would be necessary to take a better look at your current scene to see what could be causing that in that case. No rush :)

Regards.

hopeful likes this.