Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.6%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

30.0%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.2%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.0%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.1%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.5%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.6%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.4%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.2%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have been making more checks and elements of the todo list these last days (quite a few indeed), one of them has been to make improvements in the movement of the player, by adding more customization options for the input on the lerp speed of vertical (W S) and horizontal values (A D) (or course, taking into account gamepad and touch controls) for regular movement and strafe in both free view and locked view, including tank controls. So this allows to make the start and finish of the movement in the player faster or slower according to what you prefer:

mejoras input2.png

Also, there is a new option to use hover check over point and click elements on that kind of control/view, to activate events on hover enter and exit. An example of this is activate and deactivate a head track target on that point and click element, so when the mouse is over that object, the head track of the player can look to that direction if it is inside his range of view (angle, direction and position):

Regards.

MorpheusXI, EN_Games, Neviah and 3 others like this.
  2. MorpheusXI

MorpheusXI

Trying to follow: IMPORT GKC WITHOUT PROJECT SETTINGS.

Do I untick:
    - top level of ProjectSettings folder effectively unticking all *.asset files or
    - untick just the ProjectSettings.asset leaving all other *.asset files ticked?

3. sr388

sr388

Uncheck the Project settings box (the red circle):

upload_2020-2-26_0-42-57.png

In this case, I recommend to set as true the boxs for input manager and the tag manager.

Regards.

MorpheusXI likes this.
  4. anomas

anomas

Hi,
    When i use a device with a password some of the buttons activate other UI. For instance if i press H the modes are changed and a reticle is shown, or if i press backspace the travel station UI is shown. Is this a bug or a feature? If this is a feature is there a way to remove it? I would like for the UI and Player inputs to be turned off while using these devices and if possible even the player UI to also be turned off.

Picture for ref:

Attached Files:

sr388 likes this.
  5. sr388

sr388

Hi @anomas.

The actions in the player should be paused when he uses a device such as the computer and then, when he stops to use it, resumed. I haven't seen this issue before. Let me take a look at it in the current version of the asset in the store and be back with the results.

If the issue is found in the version, it will be fixed. In other case, maybe some issue is happening in your project, and in this case, I will send you a PM to take a better look at it.

Regards.

6. sr388

sr388

I am back from the tests. You are right, there are certain actions that can be performed when the player has the using device state as true (like when using the computer with password). It will be a matter of a add a couple of checks to avoid this, it will be quick to apply.

Thanks for letting me know about this and sorry for the inconvenience, it will be applied for the upcoming update 3.02f :)

Regards.

7. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have added an option to play dialogues automatically when the payer enters in the trigger in case the dialog is configured as a free type (those which doesn’t pause the actions of the player of put the camera in a fixed position). Here combined with the option to stop the dialog if the player goes too far from the NPC.

And here how it looks the new way to show the grab object found icon, which has been changed of how previously worked, so the icon configured (by default, a hand icon) is only shown when an object which can be grabbed is detected.

@anomas I have already added the checks needed to avoid the player to make any action that is not needed when using devices. Thanks again for letting me know about it. It will be available in the upcoming update 3.02f :)

Regards.

8. magique

magique

@sr388 Are you going to have an updated Outline shader that works for Unity 2019?

9. sr388

sr388

I have just tried the current version of the asset from the store in unity 2019.2.0b2 and 2020.1.0a3 and the outline shaders work properly.

If I remember properly, you were using a camera/light effect or similar, right? That could be the cause as shaders sometimes require some modification or change according to the camera effect or renderer system.

Custom shaders in general are very susceptible to have issues on specific versions of unity or when using renderer pipelines, post processing and other lights and camera effects. Also, unity has the graph system for shaders, and could worth to give a try to it.

The good thing is that all the systems that use custom shaders in GKC have a field to configure the shader used, so you can always use any others by searching shaders that are made specifically to work on all versions of unity or with a certain light/camera effect.

In any case, I have made a quick check to a message that appears in unity 2019 about the shader and made a little modification. Let me know if you try this.

Regards.

Attached Files:

anomas and EN_Games like this.
  10. magique

magique

Yes, but the shader was getting compiler errors so I don't think it was related to any effects I had in the scene. I will try your updated version and let you know.

sr388 likes this.
  11. magique

magique

@sr388 The new shader you provided works now. The compiler error goes away and it renders correctly. Thanks a million.

sr388 likes this.
  12. sr388

sr388

Happy to hear that. I have applied this change to my current version of the asset, so it will be included in the upcoming update. Btw, only less than 2 pages of tasks to do to complete the update.....almost there :)

Regards.

SickaGames1 likes this.
  13. anomas

anomas

Thanks for addressing the issue. Sorry if i'm going to repeat a question, but any ETA on the update?

sr388 likes this.
  14. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

next quarter.

anomas likes this.
  15. sr388

sr388

@anomas always happy to fix any problem. I am working as much as possible to have it ready by the end of the month. The only tasks to do are testing and add a couple of new demo scenes.

Regards.

anomas, Peppo87 and magique like this.
  16. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

More progress in the update. I have added option on the pickup objects to ignore the option on the inventory manager to pre visualize the objects that are going to be picked before store them in the inventory (if this option is active). This ignore option can be configured separately in each pickup object, for example, to use it only on certain objects, like the quest items.

Also, I have made most testing stuff on vehicles already (I only need to configure the vehicle creator elements in a few of them). In the gif, a couple of pickups have the ignore option enabled, the others two don't.

Finally the option to not allow to use the interaction action if the object to use is not visible on screen. Each object has an option to ignore that setting, so in case that for example, the player is able to get on/off on vehicles without looking at them or example to the position of the interaction, that can be configured, so even if the player is not looking at it, the player will be able to enter in the vehicle if it is on its range.

In the gif, I press the interaction button when the object is out of view, but it is only picked when the object is visible on screen. This avoid from picking objects or use objects that are behind the player in first person or out of view in third person (or any locked view).

Regards.

17. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have added three new ability examples, all using the area effect system, one to create an area effect with a dissolve effect (the objects to affect are configured by tag/layer, it is the same settings for the area effect system), a spell cast to sleep enemies and other to throw an object and when it collides, it places an area effect which provokes damage to the objects inside:

more improvements new stuff 568.gif

more improvements new stuff 574.gif

more improvements new stuff 571.gif

Regards.

18. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have worked in a system for the ability system as experimentation in my free time in the last days: the grappling hook system. Though in this case, it is more to being attracted to surfaces rather that swing around (that kind of movement will be added on the next update), taking the idea from doom eternal (the hook can be used of static surfaces or any rigidbodies, included enemies) and it stills as WIP. There are a couple of elements to polish but it is totally finished already:

It has multiple options for speed, camera and others and it is used through the ability system, though it could be used separately as well, like a feature always enabled (same for any other ability). It can be configured as an attachment for any weapon, and be activated by the secondary action button for weapons. I will show an example of that as well later.

Regards.

19. hopeful

hopeful

Cool! We could call this behavior "casting an attractor line." :)

EDIT: Or maybe call it a "spring line."

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    sr388 likes this.
  20. anomas

anomas

Hi again, how does the "physics door" with a configurable joint works? When approaching from both sides they won't open.

sr388 likes this.
  21. neoshaman

neoshaman

I guess it's also ff15 sword teleport

sr388 likes this.
  22. sr388

sr388

They are managed through the grab system, so you can aim in third person to use it or use it at any moment in first person. Basically, use the grab objects button (T by default) and you can then open and close the door with the camera input (mouse, gamepad, touch screen). It is more made for first person. You can also configure doors with physics joints and the player will be able to move it just by pushing it when moving on any view. Let me know if you try any of this.

Actually, there is a dedicated system for that teleport action which can be used on any view too. Here an example (the player doesn't make that movement of the upper body at once like in the gif, which is the head track system, and it is not stopped suddenly when using this or any other ability or action, as now, it is enabled/disabled smoothly when needed):

more improvements new stuff 575.gif

Once the melee combat system is added, I will maybe try to add an action system to kind of launch his sword for a similar teleport action haha.

I have made some improvements and polish to this grappling hook system. I will make a couple of gifs later today to show that. Of course, I keep finishing tests and polish for the update it self, as I am working on this grappling hook only in my free time

Regards.

Neviah, Peppo87 and neoshaman like this.
  23. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have made more polish and improvements for the grappling hook system, with an option to rotate the player toward the target direction, use animations for the start and when a certain % of the total distance is reached, add down speed to simulate gravity. Also, fixed points for the hook to be attached, so if any of these points are on screen and with no obstacle between camera and the target, the system will take the closest point to the camera center.

Also, the closest point has an icon over it, so it can be totally clear which is going to be used, similar to sekiro.

Regards.

MorpheusXI, Neviah, EN_Games and 3 others like this.
  24. neoshaman

neoshaman

I forgot it's sonic's homing attack too!

sr388 likes this.
  25. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have been making the checks for the AI, including also an option to allow to check the distance with the partner (the player) in case it is located and a place position target is assigned. So similar to games where the player is going to a location with a companion AI and the AI is leading the way, waiting for him if the distance to that player is higher than X.

I have been making more tests, checks, polish and fixing a couple of issues. I have only need to finish checks on the action system and add a couple more of options for it and the AI.

Regards.

26. osmani

osmani

Hi sr388,
    I have been testing your asset intensively in those days and so far so good I like it very much, but I found something strange is happening with the player when jumps a long jump and falls harsh in the ground his body immediately gets deformed, and if you continue to jump his hands and legs become almost unrecognizable in their form. It's there a fix for this?
    The only thing I can do is remove double jumping and not to allow the character to fall from a high place in the game...but that's not very acceptable for the game world. So, any thoughts that could help with this?
    Here is the pic that shows this strange anomaly in 3D players mesh, which very sincerely told I have not found until now when testing other player controller assets from unity store/ And Thank you for all your hard work in this asset!

Attached Files:

27. hopeful

hopeful

That's very strange. Have you tried the same action with a different model? I haven't had that happen with models I've used, and I jump a lot, but maybe you're doing something I haven't done yet.

28. osmani

osmani

Yes. I think too it happens only with this model, even I have not tested another yet because I am in the phase of optimizing the Terrain first. Normally it shouldn't happen. It happens every time when the character falls from big heights. Now I have made a screenshot pic from my console errors and hope it would help the developer to make improvements.

Attached Files:

29. sr388

sr388

Hi @osmani, sorry for the time to reply, I was sleeping :p

Happy to hear you like the asset :)

About the issue, that is very strange and haven't seen anything similar to that before. There is no really anything that can change scale or displace the model bones like that. The closest thing I can think is the IK, which is just the system from unity used on different things, but that element is not used on jumps. Other element used by default is the hands on surface detection, to place player's hands on surface that are close enough to him, like a wall, door, etc...

That is the only system that I can think related to hands management, but I think there is maybe some issue on the certain model you are using, on its skeleton, but I can't say not much more without taking a look at him or make tests on it.

Like @hopeful said (thanks for your faster reply), I have tried several models with GKC and no problem with them.

I will send you a PM @osmani, to take a better look at your model and make a remote session for some checking on it to find exactly what is happening on your case :)

Regards.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  30. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have added an option to AI to check if the player is far away enough to stop to move toward a target position where that AI is leading the way and waiting for the player to be close enough to keep moving. Like that, the AI will change its target position toward the target and once it is close enough to him, it will resume its previous target position, while it keeps checking if the player is close enough to keep moving towards the final target position.

I am trying this video web to see if this can be better for longer clips than make a few gifs instead:

I have been also applying other fixes and improvements, one of them related to the ladder system, which wasn't detecting properly the player exiting from it on the bottom part. Now that is done correctly.

Regards.

Altair44, Peppo87, neoshaman and 2 others like this.
  31. neoshaman

neoshaman

Add an events hooks so it can barks and play an animation of the style "where are you going, it's over here!" [player walks away] "a come one bro, we are wasting time".

sr388, Boom_Shaka and Peppo87 like this.
  32. sr388

sr388

Haha, yeah that could be interesting. The dialog system can already manage that kind of element. There would only need some kind of condition system for the logic through inspector customization.

A condition system is planned for 3.03, to configure mostly any kind of condition (if position is x then y, if health is higher than x then that, if object is on inventory then that, else then the other, etc....), to pretty much make logic through settings without need of code.

So that could be used for that purpose for example.

Regards.

Peppo87 likes this.
  33. osmani

osmani

Ah, now worries about it sr388,
    I am 100% sure that is 3d models fault.
    The 3D character was generic and just for testing purposes to walk with it trough terrain, and not to use it in the final concept. I will answer back in Pm right now. :)

hopeful and sr388 like this.
  34. neoshaman

neoshaman

I mean something that detect if the number toward target, increase, decrease or "change velocity", at set area we can script fun stuff (if there is a monster and number suddenly increase significantly, ie running away)

sr388 likes this.
  35. neoshaman

neoshaman

(since we are there, and I don't know if I did that already, here a dump of ai companion source, just in case)

https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1025442/Walk-Tall-My-Friends-Giving
    Walk Tall, My Friends: Giving Life to AI-Buddies in 'Final Fantasy XV'

Prompto's Facebook: How a Buddy-AI Auto-Snapshots Your Adventure in FFXV

Building The AI For BioShock Infinite's Elizabeth

Creating Bioshock Infinite's Elizabeth

Ellie: Buddy AI In The Last Of Us

Programming Context-Aware Dialogue in The Last of Us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbyGzzcKg9U
    Raising Atreus for Battle in God of War

Tangential
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2BPu3ypuHQ
    Animating an Autonomous 3D Talking Avatar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox2H3kUQByo
    Unsynced: The Last of Us Melee System

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHEcpy4DjNc
    Helping It All Emerge: Managing Crowd AI in Watch Dogs 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDCFMITrtHc
    Free Range AI: Creating Compelling Characters for Open World Games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFWrKHM0vAg
    Modeling AI Perception and Awareness in Splinter Cell: Blacklist

sr388 and EN_Games like this.
  36. sr388

sr388

PM answered ;) And no problem, always glad to help and fix any possible issue that can appear or not being noticed before.

Yes, that kind of elements is what the condition system will be able to do, for any kind of situation, to trigger events through this system, almost like a kind of visual scripting for conditions of any type.

Cool, I have already some of those videos pending to see them and some which don't, but that are now on my view later list ;) Thanks for telling me about them, it is always interesting to see this kind of post mortem videos about development.

Regards.

neoshaman likes this.
  37. MorpheusXI

MorpheusXI

Hi sr388

When aiming in FPS you can walk/shoot, when aiming in TPS your legs walk but you don't move. Normally in game you should be able to aim/walk in TPS. Reference would be GTA. e.g. skip to 24s >>

38. sr388

sr388

@MorpheusXI yes, it is like that due to unity changed the way animator works for unity 2018 and higher. That is why I made a second animator controller for the animator component which allows the player and the rest of humanoid characters to move properly while aiming. It is not a limitation of the system.

You can see a better explanation in the doc, in the section called "Fix player unable to walk while in strafing/aiming mode in third person", page 65. It takes just a couple of seconds to set it. Remember to apply the same change on the animator for the humanoid AI which uses weapons.

For the upcoming update 3.02f, there is only a single animator controller and this replacement won't be necessary anymore, as the new version of the animator works the same on any version of unity :) It also includes improvements for a better character movement, simplified layers and adding new elements, like the state machine to add new actions for new animations without need to add any extra code, being all done with just customization settings by the action system.

Let me know your results with this animator change.

Regards.

39. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I keep working on the tests on the AI and some improvements and polish for it too, one of these is the improved functions and code for the AI type which run away from its current enemies instead of fight or attack them, moving properly in the opposite direction and checking the proper position to reach checking if it can be navigated properly through the navmesh system.

These checks on the AI are almost ready, and I will move to the final element to test, which is the action system and that should be faster to do.

Regards.

40. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

More checkings and tests done on the AI, this time I have some issues on the AI related to the detection and management of vehicles as targets to attack when the player is driving, getting on or getting off from vehicles, so this is made properly now. Also, AI will resume its activity if the vehicle or target is dead/destroyed or out of range, like returning to its patrol state:

Other improvement is on the radio system, which now allows to configure an extra list of songs which are located inside the project, so in that case, they can be in .mp3 format. So besides external files, you can use internal files for songs as well. Here an example of both external and internal files:

upload_2020-3-14_14-48-27.png

Regards.

Altair44, neoshaman, EN_Games and 3 others like this.
  41. neoshaman

neoshaman

alert!

sr388 likes this.
  42. Mr_squiggle

Mr_squiggle

Hi I was wondering if there will be platforming mechanics and a game camera similar to super mario 64/any 3d platformer added in the future. Also the ability to jump and kill enemies?

sr388 likes this.
  43. sr388

sr388

Exterminate!

Yes, platform game style mechanics are planned to be added, taking inspiration from mario 64, mario odyssey, and other similar games, including to jump over enemies to kill them, receiving damage from contact with them and other elements.

About the camera similar to mario, not sure what you mean exactly. Can you tell me more about that part? The current camera system allows to configure any amount of states, with any kind of offset position for the pivot and the camera it self. Maybe you mean a camera right behind the player, with him in the center instead of its default state at the right side?

Regards.

Ultrapp and neoshaman like this.
  44. Mr_squiggle

Mr_squiggle

Yes sorry I'm terrible at explaining things. Yes I do mean the character in the center. I haven't gone into the camera alot at the moment with the game controller kit. At the moment I'm getting my head around the character ai. I'm loving it. Looking forward to when the 3d platforming mechanics added.

sr388 likes this.
  45. sr388

sr388

Haha, don't worry. Here an example of the camera just behind the player. Any camera state can be customized and configured as used by default in different states, like default camera state in third person, in aim weapon, in first person, in move camera away, etc...

Also happy to hear you like the asset :)

Regards.

neoshaman likes this.
  46. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I noticed that I posted twice the detection of the AI for vehicles, I have removed that duplicated post (it is the bad of posting stuff before going to sleep xd).

Here some new improvements on the AI, which like I shown a few post above, it runs away properly from its target now. So in this example, the AI uses weapons at the beginning, then changes to combat mode when it receives damage on his arms (dropping its weapon) and once enough damage is received, it will run away. Also, it has the dissolve object option, to being removed from the scene after x time:

I have also added options for the climb ledge system to activate the climb action automatically when the player grabs a ledge, without need to use the movement input for it, with separated options for third and first person.

Regards.

Peppo87, EN_Games and hopeful like this.
  47. neoshaman

neoshaman

Why use the arms to punch then lol
    a limp ik+physics could probably work lol

sr388 likes this.
  48. blacksun666

blacksun666

it would be great if the decision to run away could take the players health into consideration. real players will often stand and fight if they think the enemy would run out of health before they do, be good to simulate this thinking in the ai.

sr388 likes this.
  49. ajroche

ajroche

I have near to 0 experience with Unity other than using the tutorials and have an idea that I want to mess around with for a FPS. If I want it to be a multiplayer heads up battle arena I would be looking to start with an asset like this correct? This is essentially used to make the rules and behaviors of actions and things in the game easier right? And then the things like maps, models, and textures are just mapped onto the framework that an asset like this would establish?

50. sr388

sr388

Yes, that would be interesting to implement. The AI has been very improved for this new update and more improvements and options are planned in next versions, including a much more modular setup of options for the AI, so you can customize behavior for AI easily and very different between each other.

Also, a condition system will be added on 3.03, so it will be possible to use that condition system plus the modular setups of the AI, allowing a lot more of possibilities. Also, don't hesitate to tell me any suggestions you (and the rest of people here) about the AI (or other elements), which will help to structure better all its elements for the future additions and improvements :)

Hi @ajroche. Do you mean to use multiplayer online or local (split screen)? GKC has only local multiplayer for now, but the online part will be started soon with the objective of being ready this year as well.

For this multiplayer, game modes will be added, in concrete, a system to configure rules to make different game modes easily, like number of teams, player per team, the target of the game (maybe just get the biggest amount of kills, or protect the flag, etc...).

The rest of things that you said (maps, models and textures) depends of the user directly, as like any other asset, the visual and sound elements are just placeholders easy to replace at any moment (but all the content of the asset can be used freely and with no restriction).

Let me know if this solve your doubts and if you have any other question.

Regards.

Neviah, Peppo87 and ajroche like this.