Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.6%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

30.0%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.2%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.0%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.1%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.5%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.6%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.4%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.2%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

Hey there old person, I'm old too! I have fond memories of writing programs (and always running out of memmory) on my VIC-20, C64, and TRS80. Good times!

2. hopeful

hopeful

I'm in that older pool too. I was programming for a few years before that on a 3.4 MHz CPU that had addresses upgraded to be able to access 64K. And a mammoth 90MB hard drive that required two people to move. ;)

3. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

Welcome to the old people club! Let's show these young whipper snappers how it's done ;)

Seriously, the tools available now for creating games are beyond incredible. I remember making a lunar lander type game for my VIC-20 and storing everything on tapes. I ran out of available RAM and couldn't complete it (which is why I bought the C64). Never in a million years did I think the tools would evolve to where they are now.

4. Mark_01

Mark_01

I was 20 when win 3.1 was out. There might be a lot of us older guys in unity.
    When I was 20 I wanted VR so bad, to be inside the 3d world ( 3ds Studio ) for Dos.

I agree, I never thought we would see all this, and it is just going faster now.

hopeful, ScourgeGames and sr388 like this.
  5. sr388

sr388

Haha cool stories.

I am 28, but I know the feel of wanting to get more tools to make games. Some years ago, I never thought (or dream) I could work on games, systems and tools so easily as now, when I barely started to use computers (I never get a PC to mess with until I was 18).

That is why I love unity and also how fast it keeps getting more and more better, including compatibility with all platforms, VR and more.

Regards.

6. hopeful

hopeful

For me, the main improvement has been graphics ... which basically didn't exist when I started.

That old 3.4MHz 8-bit internal / 16-bit external system and hard drive was multi-user, but not multi-tasking. It was capable of running 12 concurrent users by using 32K system RAM and swapping in a 32K page for each user, with software giving each user a few ticks at a time. In many ways it's the same sort of thing we're doing today, except now we also have a GPU and we fill our storage and memory with graphics files.

The internet didn't really exist then, but I could attach my 1200 bps modem and chat on bulletin boards. ;)

Just a few years earlier than that, the cool thing was ham radio and tapping out Morse code! lol

Mark_01, ScourgeGames and sr388 like this.
  7. sr388

sr388

Hahaha, I remember using old modems with barely Kbs of speed. You are totally right, technology has evolved a lot in just a few years (just from 2010 to now, seems like two ages totally different, I wonder how would look in 2030, in case we still being here despite things like greenhouse effect).

Btw, here more things that have been improved since last beta:
    • Improved detection of targets on AI when it gets up from entering in ragdoll state (from damage, being sedated, etc….)
    • Added option to set the regular movement speed to run by input, allowing to configure a walk speed value by default and set the run speed with shift (or the input configured for that action), for games where the player has a lower movement speed. Other option allows to configure if the run button must be held to run or just pressed to enable or disable the run movement
    • Added option on vehicle weapons to configure custom reticles for every weapon separately, along with options to set the color and size of the reticle. Also, another option allows to hide the reticle of the vehicle weapon after x seconds if it is not being fired (the gif has a higher speed for size limit). In the gif, the first weapon has active the option to hide the cursor after 3 seconds if the weapon is not fired.

• Improved vehicle camera controller, allowing to set separated zoom settings for every camera state, including options to allow to use zoom, zoom speed and camera rotation speed when zoom is active
    • Added gizmo for the vision range of AI, to make easier to see how much can see around it
    more improvements 1.gif

Regards.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  8. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have been fixing some bugs that some users have found in the last beta and making some little improvements in some of those elements too.

Here you can see a file with some of these issues found and the solution applied, so you can see that in case you find them, they are already fixed (except a couple of them to fix tomorrow):

https://mega.nz/#!jd0VlaRb!-y6LBqWitIGS4UqfIdYGjSX8q3GK6hqneg3q_JTrTXg

Also, I have been making tests with weapons on vehicles. It now works on every camera view, and also as you remember, projectiles ignore properly the vehicle driven by the player, so you are able to shoot the weapon properly in the direction you are aiming, no matter if the weapon is centered in the vehicle or not.

Here some gifs:

You can see the video clip here : https://twitter.com/santimonti90/status/1073845983254118401

Regards.

9. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have been working on more polishing, testing and fixes, some on vehicles and others in the player. Today, I will complete the last elements and settings for AI.

Here a cool situation while testing the option to eject from vehicles activating the free floating mode:

Regards.

10. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have been making the tests for the AI. The turret is already checked and working. I have also made separated prefabs for regular type and configured to allow the player to possess them, for enemy and friend (including also an input action to auto destruct the current turret controlled by the player).

Only humanoid AI left to check and update their prefabs.

I have also improved the explosion system, making a general static function that can be called from any component, with fields to configure radius, force, force mode, damage, if applies force to vehicles and the amount, if push characters, if everything in the radius of the explosion is destroyed, etc.... This is already used on explosive projectiles, explosive barrels, on a component used to configure objects that can explode and in vehicles when their health value reaches zero.

After that, just a couple more of days to check the rest of things, update prefabs and similar. Almost there for 2.4d.

Regards.

11. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

AI is almost ready, I keep updating the prefabs with the new content and testing it.

Here an example of possessing an enemy AI and attacking a partner of that AI, the faction where both belong has configured that friendly fire turn characters into enemies, so the attacked AI set its partner as target to attack.

Also, in this gif, the AI set the player as target due to he jumps, which makes a big noise around him and the AI goes to check the origin of that noise, and it is way, it finds the player.

Also, added option on health system to keep applying damage even after the object is dead. This can be used for example on ragdolls, to allow to keep damaging it, so for example, if the character is configured to lose limbs on certain amount of damage, the ragdoll will receive that damage and the corpse will lose those limbs as the player (or any other character) keep applying damage to that ragdoll, for example, by shooting at it (similar to dead space where you can “break” corpses by damaging them). Once a dismember system is improved, this will look better, with actual body parts falling from the main body.

Regards.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  12. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

gruesome :)

sr388 likes this.
  13. neoshaman

neoshaman

I wasn't told christmas was early this year, we already have present, thanks Sr388anta Claus

sr388 likes this.
  14. sr388

sr388

Oh yes.

Indeed.

Keep updating AI. In this case, the friend AI has been already configured with all the new elements.

The decal manager has been improved, now every surface can be configured to activate or not noise (the mesh on the map and the function on AI to look at the impact position) on impact. This allows to avoid that the impact of a projectile on a humanoid character produces noise. Like that, the same projectile is able to produce noise on certain surfaces and avoid to produce on others, like flesh.

Here you can see noise active on flesh surface:

projectile noise 2.gif
    And here the same surface type without producing noise:

projectile noise 1.gif

As you can see, in the first case, the AI will move towards the noise from the projectile impact, also, in the map you can see the sound wave produced by the noise. In the second case, nothing of this happens.

Also, most things related to these elements are configured through events.

Regards.

Mark_01, Wetw0rx, Testmobile and 2 others like this.
  15. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

Dude, this is really impressive.

sr388 likes this.
  16. sr388

sr388

Thanks men. The AI is the only "big" element to complete for this update, and testing and tweaking it allows me to notice these elements to polish and make sure they work properly (since almost all of them were added during the development of 2.4d). The rest of the AI elements should be complete today.

In a matter of days the new beta will be ready, so excited :D

Regards.

ScourgeGames, Mark_01 and Wetw0rx like this.
  17. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

@sr388 I am working with another developer on an AI asset that is currently selling (I'm doing a series of tutorials for him because I am a native English speaker) and I'm looking for assets we can integrate with. Would love to add you to the list of integrations we do (good for everyone, I think). If I decide to do that, would you be OK with perhaps providing him a voucher so he can work on it with me? I can give you further details in a PM so you will know it is legitimate.

Thanks!

Mark_01 and sr388 like this.
  18. sr388

sr388

Hi @ScourgeGames.

Sure, there wouldn't problem with it. Send me a PM with the details when you can.

Regards.

ScourgeGames and Mark_01 like this.
  19. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

AI has been complete for the update 2.4d.

While checking the AI to hide from it with the hide system for fixed position I noticed I didn't add a check to no translate the camera to the hidden place if the player is on a fixed camera position zone, so now it can be configured if the camera is translated or not, no matter if the camera is in free or locked mode.

improved ai raycast check 7.gif
    Also, I have configured a raycast option to check if an AI is seeing physically its target or not in the moment they are detected, so they can follow it or not. This is used for example to avoid the AI to follow a target if it is detected when the target is behind a wall, so even if the target enters in the range trigger of the AI, until the AI doesn't see it, the AI won't move.

This also, takes into account the range of view of the AI (a certain amount of degrees from 0 to 360, according to how good are the senses of that AI), so both conditions has to be true to chase it (in case the range of view is used).

Here you can see the new raycast checking on the AI (turrets and humanoid) to avoid to detect it behind surfaces like walls (in other case, the AI would be "too smart"):

improved ai raycast check 1.gif

in the gif above, the humanoid enemy has active the option, you can see the red line when the wall is on the middle of it and the turret, when the wall is not any more between both, the line turns green and once the turret is on the range of view (160 degrees in this case) of the enemy, he shoots at the turret.

In this other example, the raycast checking is active in the turret:

improved ai raycast check 2.gif

In this one, both have active the raycast option, along with the range of view limited:

improved ai raycast check 3.gif

In this example, the test is made with the player:

improved ai raycast check 4.gif

ScourgeGames, neodotca and Mark_01 like this.
  20. sr388

sr388

Due to files number limit, I keep showing in another post.

Here while driving:

improved ai raycast check 5.gif

And finally here, driving with a turret

improved ai raycast check 6.gif

With this, the AI is complete for update 2.4d, I only need to check the character creator works with the AI and the rest of things to do for the update are very very minor. Like I said, the new beta will be ready this week.

Regards.

21. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

Thank you. I'll gather the details and send you a PM.

sr388 and Mark_01 like this.
  22. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Just wanted to show a nice feature. I just tested the grab physical objects system on ragdolls, and they worked out of the box, just needed to add a couple of list to store the rigidbodies mass of every body part and the layer, to avoid weird things and voila.

The ragdoll are carried better on first person though (probably, due to the management of movement using physics instead of root motion).

Regards.

yoshistory, hopeful, neodotca and 2 others like this.
  23. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Does AI notice dead bodies?

sr388 likes this.
  24. sr388

sr388

Not yet, but it is planned to be added on the update focused on the AI (probably for the end of 3.0), allowing to the AI to see and notice objects on the level and take decisions based on them, like grenades, to run away from them.

It will allow to configure different states of the AI, so if it finds a corpse on the level, or hear a sound, or similar, you will be able to set a group of stats to be configured as new state, so the AI is in alert mode, with maybe a bigger vision range, hearing better, moving faster, maybe even reducing check times for possible threats and more fields.

Even look for help or call more partners. There will be al kind of options for this kind of behaviors.

Regards.

Wetw0rx, Aaron2348, hopeful and 2 others like this.
  25. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

When i initially started work on my game i just wanted to tell a story, a bit like an interactive movie. Wanted a space opera and my first real problems were anything other than basic controls. Tried a bunch of assets on the store and they always expected you to get more assets if you wanted more features. Then cam Game kit controller... in its current state i can use it to finish my game in 2 months from now as most content is already made. encountered a few unforseen problems but thats gamesdev for you :) suffice to say with promised features on roadmap and upcoming 2.4d i feel confident it will be a great game cos of the feature set on offer. This is a praise post by the way. I just couldnt resist :) great job sr388

Wetw0rx, ScourgeGames, sr388 and 2 others like this.
  26. sr388

sr388

Thanks man, I am really happy to know that. Post like this always reminds me why I started with GKC and give me more reasons to keep working on it more harder, something that I will do and more content will keep coming for a lot of time.

You made my day :).

Regards and by the way, merry Christmas to all of you.

27. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Quick progress update.

A couple of users made me to realize that I didn't take into account circumnavigation for regular rigidbodies.

So I included it, just needed to add an extra function to set the normal direction as a center point (on regular rigidbodies it is not possible to use a normal pointing down as raycast, since the rigidbody rotates in any direction, so a center point is used instead for this kind of rigidbodies, in a different way than the player). Like with the player and vehicles, these objects can enter in the attraction field of other objects and exit from them too

But this mostly works on regular shape objects, like sphere and similar and this would happen with more complex elements. Here you can see how the previous system worked, attracting the objects to a center point.

So to work better, an option has been added to configure multiple gravity points for rigidbodies on an object to circumnavigate, so every rigidbody is attracted to the closest one. This allow to set any kind of shape besides spheres. The player can even pick objects on it and the gravity will be applied properly (this was already added in GKC some updates ago).

gravity improvements 7.gif

gravity improvements 8.gif
    This example has a hole in the middle and you can notice that the objects are attracted to any place but not the emptiness of the hole and in that object, always to a surface. There is around 16 gravity points configured.

Also, there is an option to inverse gravity direction, that can be called from external components, like events so you can have reversed rooms, like an sphere or any other shape, and the objects will be pushed toward the walls instead of a center.

gravity improvements 9.gif

All of this took 10 minutes to add and works very well. Also, the last beta is almost ready, I haven't planned to stop working during Christmas, so you can expect it very very soon.

Hey, I noticed I didn't answer to this post, though I put a like. Perfect, looking forward to it.

Regards and happy Christmas Eve.

28. hopeful

hopeful

I'm beginning to feel like we won't see this update till next year ... ;)

sr388 likes this.
  29. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

No worries. Communications are real slow right now because folks are super busy with the holidays. I'll get details as soon as I can.

sr388 likes this.
  30. neoshaman

neoshaman

sr388 likes this.
  31. sr388

sr388

Today, I have finally exported, replaced and removed all the probuilder objects from the scene. Like I said, there is just minor things to do, related to just place some objects into the new level (like some triggers of the map system), tweak some elements and make little tests in certain elements configured on the different missions and objectives of the new demo.

The last features/gifs that have been showing here have been added due to I was very sure that they would only take a few minutes and they wouldn't cause issues to the system where they were placed (like the circumnavigation for objects, the new options on the AI like pick ragdolls or improve the detection view). Also, these were things that just I noticed while making test of certain elements or suggestions from people.

I am very aware of the delays lately and the last thing I want to do is spend a lot of time working on a big feature or system and making people to wait more and more. Believe me, I don't like that neither and I have been avoiding it. Don't get me wrong, I totally understand your concern, but you can be sure I am totally focused on complete the update (rather than add more and more).

Don't worry, it will be finished before the end of the year, I guarantee it :)

I see, no rush on it.

Oh yes, very interesting. I will include this in the todo list to check for 3.0. Gravity system is always being improved muahahaha.

Regards.

Wetw0rx, Mark_01, neodotca and 2 others like this.
  32. neodotca

neodotca

After exported/replaced your probuilder elements to .obj, do you delete it completely? cause you still gonna need it later to make future modifications right?

33. sr388

sr388

Yeah, for that reason, I saved an scene with all the objects in probuilder format, so if in any moment I need to modify any part of the level, I can return to that scene and pick any zone. That will also allows to keep working on this new demo for new updates. so I will make an .package only with the structure of the level, so I can import and reuse it in any moment.

Regards.

Mark_01, neodotca and ScourgeGames like this.
  34. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

It actually would be kinda nice if you shared that scene in ProBuilder format for some of us folks who are grayboxing.

neodotca likes this.
  35. sr388

sr388

Yeah, it wouldn't be a problem to upload it to mega/dropbox/google drive and paste the link here and in the doc as well, so anyone who want the level structure in probuilder format can get it. I will make a .package just with it.

The reason to not include it on the final version for the asset store is to not include probuilder in the package (even if the system is from unity, I am not sure if it can be included on other assets and also, even if it is allowed, I prefer to not include other assets inside GKC) and also, to avoid performance issues due to have an important amount of probuilder components in the scene while playing (now all these elements have been exported to regular meshes, so the scene is clean from this mesh tool).

Regards.

Mark_01, neodotca and ScourgeGames like this.
  36. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

I completely understand why you strip it out of the asset for the asset store. And thank you for making it available in the future. It is much better to leave it out of the asset (even if it is free) because you and I both know that there would end up being support issues and the package size would be much larger. And most people don't need it.

Thanks again. Looking forward to the update soon. Take your time getting it ready. I know a lot of folks are anxiously waiting for it (I'm excited to see it), but I also know that making sure it is stable is a good thing to do.

neodotca and sr388 like this.
  37. sr388

sr388

Yeah, it is exactly the reason, though probuilder is very light, but in any case, there is no real reason to include it in other assets.

Thanks for the support. I am working as fast as possible to have ready the update (which still having this year to be complete). Like you said, it has taken so much time because I wanted to be sure it works as good as possible, without issues. Also, having a beta tested by users allows to find any remaining bug and remove it :).

Here a couple of captures of the whole new level (the white lines are the gizmo of the map system):

level 1.PNG

level 2.PNG

level 3.PNG

Could seem complex but it is pretty straight forward (with just a few separated paths that arrive at the same places). Also, there are elevators in different zones and also, travel stations, so you can move instantly to any place inside of it.

Regards.

38. neoshaman

neoshaman

merry gkc day people

39. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here just to show another clip from a test on the gravity system for the circumnavigation of regular rigidbodies. It uses the system to reverse the gravity direction in game.

Everything goes well to complete the update before the end of the year.

Merry GKC day for you too :D

Regards.

40. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here a quick video showing the point and click system, as I have been placing the elements (fixed cameras and a few elements to interact) into the scene and polishing a couple of elements.

Regards.

Testmobile, neodotca, Mark_01 and 2 others like this.
  41. sr388

sr388

Btw, I forgot to mention, though maybe you already know it. The last beta of 2.4d will be ready tomorrow (finally, until last moment of the year xd) and a few days after that, the update will be totally complete and uploaded to the asset store to be reviewed.

Just will take about 2-3 days to make a short trailer for the new update.

So all of you who want the full update 2.4d without waiting for its release in the asset store, like always, send me a PM on the forum, on the support email or on discord.

Also, I have new designs for the main images of GKC in the asset store. I shown the small icon on discord some time ago and was waiting to have the rest of designs done to show them here. This will replace the current main images from now.

Here the small image:

unnamed (2).png
    And here the other two:
    unnamed (3).png

unnamed (4).png

What designs do you prefer?

Regards.

Testmobile likes this.
  42. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

I prefer version no 5, no 5 and no 11

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    sr388 likes this.
  43. adifrank

adifrank

I like version no 5 and 8.

sr388 likes this.
  44. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

I like version #10 or maybe version #5. The reason I like 10 is because the kit is much more than a controller. While the controller functionality is the core of the kit, it's really just a fraction of what you've built.

sr388 likes this.
  45. hopeful

hopeful

From each group, I like 3, 10, 4.

Small logo 3 gets the name across most clearly, I think: GKC. However, the spelled out name could be in white too.

I like 10 out of the medium ones, because it is the only one that shows action / conflict, in that it looks like one guy is getting ready to fire on the other guys. And that's important, because GKC has combat in the kit. It looks more dynamic.

I like the large banner #4 because it seems to do the best job of showing that GKC does a lot of stuff, like vehicles, and the circle suggests that it all comes together.

sr388 likes this.
  46. ivolga-indi

ivolga-indi

10/5/5

sr388 likes this.
  47. Boom_Shaka

Boom_Shaka

10 or 11 -- those give the best idea of the asset's full features

sr388 likes this.
  48. neodotca

neodotca

5 > 6 > 4

sr388 likes this.
  49. Mark_01

Mark_01

5 - 5 - 5

sr388 likes this.
  50. neodotca

neodotca

Note that i also like some of the other images, but i find the BG of those, a bit to dark.

sr388 likes this.