Search Unity

50% OFF Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.6%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

29.9%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.1%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.1%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.3%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.4%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.7%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.5%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.7%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sr388

sr388

Yeah, powers and weapons are very similar and are managed in a similar way, though they have enough differences to better manage them separately.

But like @magique suggested, a system that could allow to change between both list of elements like they are a single list can be a good way, making a system very general and combine it with events to allow easily to change to the elements you want, allowing a lot of customization.

Also @EvilGremlin, what you said is very interesting. I could add an option for weapons and powers to configure an event when they are used or refill to call the source that is used to power them, so for example a shoot from a weapon or a power would call the function useEnergyAmount(int energyAmountToUse), allowing to set which source they use to work.

I will put all of this on the todo list, to find the best way to achieve it, allowing to use any customization to use a regular or specific setting.

Regards.

2. neodotca

neodotca

I'm happy that we all seems to go in the same direction about simplifying the controls. Lets not forget that the controller is the heart of the asset and the ultimate goal is to make it easy and fun to use for the gamer.

sr388 likes this.
  3. sr388

sr388

Of course, one of the main objectives of the asset is to have the best controller possible, incluidng all the customization options necessary.

Regards.

Mark_01 and neodotca like this.
  4. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

@sr388

You could get even more general purpose. (This is all just brainstorming.)

Allow people to make their own resource bars (mana, stamina, energy, etc.). You could just use aligning UI elements (stacking off of the health bar) for the bars and allow people to set the colors and names.

Your "damage" function could +/- any number of resources for a # of ticks over a set duration (e.g. +1 energy every 0.5 seconds for 2 ticks = 2 energy). It could handle poison damage, fire damage, any kind of zone damage systems (gas or radiation).

You could call the function when items are picked up, as a default energy bar restore speed (like stamina in many games) or power & weapon damage calculations too, even ammo.

The cost to use (energy, stamina, ammo) function could even just be a derivative of this system, you'd just need to differentiate who you are targeting (player, colliders, enemies, allies, tags, layers, whatever).

You could create an extra health "buff" effect derived from the same concept. (So instead of restoring health, you could add armor like in Hitman or an overshield like in halo.) It would work for any resource bar or ammo.

Anyway, that way you could just have one universal damage/resource system that could handle a lot of different situations that users may want to have control over but that you haven't thought of as the programmer.

Mark_01 and Wetw0rx like this.
  5. sr388

sr388

Interesting. Yeah, it could allow to manage different stats and modify its values according to pickups, events or actions made by the player.

I will add it in the todo list. Thanks for the suggestion @EvilGremlin.

Btw, I have finished the puzzle room I was making on the previous video, so the second build is almost ready and I want to post it tomorrow.

There is also an option on the rail objects to allow to move objects at distance according to how much the rail itself moves, so you can for example move a rail to open a door, which will move at the same time and direction than the rail object. Also, these rails can be closed when the player stops to move them and the slow object power (used to slow down AI too) can be used to make them close slower. All these system has been improved for the update.

Here a video of the full room and like previously, all is configure with general scripts.

Finally, at the beginning of the week, I will have the project ready to be shared with who already have GKC and want to try the new version now. I will tell then how to get the files.

Regards.

Mark_01, Razmot, EvilGremlin and 3 others like this.
  6. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have been working on the new build and it is almost ready. But I have been a little ill today, so I haven't been able to work as much as I expected. The build will be ready at the beginning of the week and the project will be shared as well.

Btw, @Muppo, I have added the option on the objects/devices that can be used to configure separated positions to show the interaction icon for first and third person. These positions can be configued with empty transforms in every object, so you can configure different positions according to where the panel needs to be shown.

improved icon panel1.gif

improved icon panel2.gif

Also, another option allows to configure a fixed position for the interaction button without following the object to use on the screen.
    fixed icon2.gif

fixed icon3.gif

Other improvements have been added to the zone of the first build according to feedback.

Regards.

uni7y, mindfulmx, EvilGremlin and 3 others like this.
  7. pbrowne

pbrowne

Just bought this and looks like what I need. Couple of questions:

1. Does this asset include the ability to climb ladders?

2. I would like the player to be able to start in first person view and switch to third person and back through key input. Is this possible?

Thanks

sr388 likes this.
  8. sr388

sr388

Hi @pbrowne.
    Thanks for your purchase and interest in the asset.

1.- Not yet, but it will be included in the update 3.0 (next one after upcoming 2.4 which is the current to finish in a few days).

2.- Yes, in the Player Camera inspector configured in the gameObject called Player Camera, there are two buttons to switch to third or first person in editor mode, so you can set the view to use when the game starts, setting all the stats to the view automatically, including weapons, tools, etc.... according to the type of camera.

upload_2018-10-29_6-56-51.png
    Also, the view can be switched in game, with the default key V. This view switch can be also disabled, so you can make a game 100% on first or third person, or allow to change views by input, or change them with triggers and events on specific moments, or everything combined. Also, there is other types of views, like fixed camera (resident evil style), fixed and following (residet evil code veronica), top down, point and click, 2.5d, isometric, etc...

The first person control has been hugely improved on 2.4d respect the current version on the store 2.4c, so you can expect a much better movement on the new update along with a lot of new options and systems (2.4d is probably, the biggest update in almost 4 years working on this asset).

Btw, here a couple of gifs with the top down view with different cameras configured, to have for example exterior and interior views, closer or farther from the player according to where he is and smooth transition between those cameras and free mode:

improved top down camera3.gif

improved top down camera6.gif

improved top down camera7.gif

Regards.

EvilGremlin likes this.
  9. pbrowne

pbrowne

Wow, that was quick! Thanks.

Regarding doors, I have had a look at the included manual, but I don't see anything in there about getting the door system to work. Could you explain how to get a simple door to open through a key command?

10. sr388

sr388

Glad to help.

There are prefabs for all the type of doors, the one which is opened with the input is called Interaction Button Doors, in the folder Prefabs/Doors.

All doors use the same component to work but allows a lot of customization, like setting if it rotates or translate, use animations or procedural movements, include any number of panels to move, the target position/rotation, if the door is closed after x seconds, if it is locked at the start, etc...

The doc is not totally finished yet, but for update 2.4d, the rest of content will be added, including all the new elements and improvements in the workflow of previous systems, like map, inventory, and locked camera.

Regards.

11. pbrowne

pbrowne

Thanks again, doors now working.

12. pbrowne

pbrowne

One more quick question, I want to disable the aim reticule in the HUD when not in weapons mode. The reticule doesn't appear in textures folder, how can I modify it?

13. sr388

sr388

Hi @pbrowne.

Sorry for not reply before, I wen to sleep shortly after last message.

Happy to know that.

Do you mean the reticle in first person without weapons?

upload_2018-10-29_21-38-19.png

That is the grab objects cursor, which shows when you can grab an object. I didn't added an option to disable it (don't know why haha). I will add an option to enable or disable for 2.4d. If you want, I can send you the modified script too. Also, I will set better reticle icons for this update too.

Regards.

neodotca, danreid70 and hopeful like this.
  14. pbrowne

pbrowne

Yes that is the cursor in grab mode. It would be good to have the ability to turn off a cursor for each mode. There are games, Battlefield 1 (?), which don't have cursors to pickup objects...you just look at the object and press F. Also the ability to modify cursors. If you could send to me the modified script that would be great.

15. sr388

sr388

Ok, give some minutes and I will send you the files to replace (it will be grabObjects.cs and grabObjectsEditor.cs, since I have to add a new public field that needs to be show in the custom inspector).

Also, you are right, and now with the new outliner system (that can be added or removed to objects able to be grabbed and devices, like doors, computers, pickups, password terminals, vehicles, etc...), the player will be able to know if an object can be picked or not.

Regards.

16. pbrowne

pbrowne

Sounds good!

17. sr388

sr388

Check your conversations on this forum, I have sent you a message there.

Regards.

18. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have been improving a few things for the new build while working on it.
    • Weapons has an option to configure different reticles for every weapon, with option to set one for regular mode or another for aim mode. Those weapons without custom reticles configure will use the default reticle
    reticle options.gif
    • For zero gravity mode and free floating mode there is an option to configure a higher body rotation if the player is increasing his speed (holding run action), so like that the player seems that is moving faster and rotating his body according to the movement speed
    increased rotation zero gravity mode1.gif

increased rotation zero gravity mode2.gif
    • @pbrowne made me notice that the grab object systems hadn't an option to not use the cursor, so there is an option for it now, along with another to set if this grab object icon is only enabled when the player has found an object to grab
    Default option to show the icon
    grab objects icon1.gif

Option to only show the icon when an object to grab is detected
    grab objects icon2.gif
    • New sounds effects for footsteps and weapons have been added thanks to a friend that have been making new effects for them
    • I have found the option on imported textures to improve their quality, so the tutorial images quality are now much better (they were too blurred due to the default setting on files), but they are small files
    The new build is almost ready. Also, those who want to try the new version this week, send me a private message here or by discord with your invoice code and soon, I will shared the project with those users.

Regards.

19. westryder907

westryder907

Is there a cover system in the works? I think this is probably the only thing missing that some other third person controllers offer with the exception to all this controller ALREADY offers (which is a whole boat load).

Great work, keep it up this turning out to be the best!

sr388 likes this.
  20. neodotca

neodotca

Would it be possible to show a hand on the screen in FPS mode when grabbing/moving objects?

sr388 likes this.
  21. hopeful

hopeful

I like the idea of a cursor switching from an arrow to a hand when over an object that can be used.

I don't like the idea of outlining objects that can be used, because I would use outlining for other purposes.

So ... I hope it is all designed to be modular. :)

sr388 likes this.
  22. sr388

sr388

Hi @westryder907.

Thanks for your comment and interest in the asset :)

No, there is not a cover system yet and I haven't started to work on it neither, but it is planned to be added, very probably, after update 3.0. I have started to gather some cover animations from mixamo as placeholders and starting thinking the way to achieve it, so maybe that could count as some work haha.

From update 3.0 onwards, new animations will be adding, replacing the old ones along with the character model, so you can expect improved movements and new systems, like swim, climb, melee combat and more will come in a near future.

I think most of games don't used to show hands when the player is carrying an object (I think I have seen some, but I am not able to remember the name, if you know some example of this, tell me so I can see how it is used). What they used to do is place the object close the camera like the player is holding it. But I could add an option to show the hands. I want to do the same for powers when the player is on first person, that will come when I add animations for arms/hands on first person.

That is already added with the new option to carry objects phyiscally in the hands of the player on third person and close to the camera in first person (I have to set the check to now enable the grabbed object cursor while carrying physical objects haha).

grab objects2.gif

grab objects3.gif

grab objects34.gif
    The only thing that I have to resolve in first person is the proper collision of the object in the level, to avoid you can drop it behind a wall and assign a layer from a second camera to avoid clipping on this mode, but I already know how it will be done, so it is just a matter of do it.

Also, an object that can be grabbed physically only needs a component added, so you can configure an object to be grabbed like previously or carry it physically through just an extra script.

Yeah, I will add the customization of icons for grab objects, use devices, drive vehicles, etc...,I don't know why I didn't think about that too, thanks for remind it.

The outline is a separated component that can be added or removed from objects to use/grab/take, so you can decide which objects use them and you can still interacting with them no matter if this script is added or not. This component is called by the using devices system and grab object system, but it can be called easily from other systems if you need (maybe could need to add those functions according to if you want to use them on other specific elements, but it is very easy to manage).

You can see in my previous post, that the objects to be grabbed weren't using the outline system.

So yeah, I am focusing in make things modular ;)

Regards.

23. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I just realized that is halloween, so I have configured a zone in the new demo to include a spooky moment, also to show that GKC can be used to make games with a terror/survival horror genre too.

Here the video (is really short):

Regards and happy halloween.

24. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

Hand interactions in first person are hard to do and get to look right. I honestly don't think the time it would take to do that would be well spent on this aspect as others. But with a third person holding system already implemented, you could easily just set the camera to third person when holding a world object. That's all just my opinion though.

25. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Hand interactions in 3rd person would be great for VR.

26. sr388

sr388

Yeah, that is the reason why I made the grab object physically like that for first person, similar to most games, with the object in a lower side of the camera.

Yeah, once I am able to start with VR, I will try a lot of things and addapt all current systems and features on GKC that need any kind of modification (I think most of them will be just for the player, camera and some ways to interact with specific objects).

Regards.

Mark_01 likes this.
  27. neoshaman

neoshaman

For physical grabs (hands on object) what new implementation does is that:
    1. object as a correct position to be grab (ie edit time set up)
    2. there is a loose "corrective gesture" that put the object in the right orientation first
    3. the grab is done on the object in the correct position
    - in fact there is many 1 than lead to many 2 or 3 ie depending on the relative orientation of the player and the grab object, an object has multiple grab position, that lead to multiple corrective gesture, that put it in the most appropriate grab orientation.

sr388 likes this.
  28. sr388

sr388

Mmm interesting. This is related to VR or you talk about grab objects on other modes, like in first person or even third person, with a smoother movement?

For third person, some games used to make the player to move to an specific place (I suppose with navmesh or similar on the player or maybe just adjusting the player position and the animation) and do the grab animation, or others actions like open a chest, a door, etc...

Regards.

29. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I still working on the build, but I have been a little worst in the last day due to the cold I caught, but I keep doing stuff.

I have made some improvements on the first person, incluind head bob states for crouch and running on crouch, along with separated movement speeds for these states and footsteps sounds for them as well.

I have made a simplification on the examine system with a better code and a simpler way to configure the colliders to enable or disable according to view (to avoid collisions between the object and the player while using it).

Also, for weapons, I have added an option to check if an object that has been fired has a certain component. That component allows to configure any event to call, so you can make things like this with the smartphone for example:

smartphone functions10.gif

smartphone functions15.gif
    It can do anything you could need, like open doors, make objects to reach 0 amount of health, etc...

Finally, for the devices to use, like computers, code terminals, objects to examine, etc..., I have added an option to make the player to keep his weapon if he is carrying before use that object. Also, other option allows to draw the weapon again if he was carrying it previously. That allows to have a more cleaner screen while using a device.

weapons on devices2.gif

weapons on devices1.gif
    I will try to get rid of this cold asap, but in the meantime, I keep working everyday, no matter what xd.

Regards.

30. sephytreebeard

sephytreebeard

Greetings, im having an issue with a specific model when creating a new player, otherwise it works as expected, when i hit play the player will start to move forward and these two error pop up in the console

Attached Files:

• er1.PNG
      er1.PNG
      File size:
      29.2 KB
      Views:
    • er2.PNG
      er2.PNG
      File size:
      14.2 KB
      Views:
    • er3.PNG
      er3.PNG
      File size:
      29.7 KB
      Views:
    • er4.PNG
      er4.PNG
      File size:
      31.2 KB
      Views:
  31. sr388

sr388

Hi @sephytreebeard.

Does the console shows any message when you created the new character? Maybe the ragdoll wasn't created correctly with the automatic creation.

We can make a teamviewer session to check it out and fix it. Other option is that I try that model on the character creation to see if the system works properly or not.

Regards.

32. sephytreebeard

sephytreebeard

I have 18 warnings, same ones i get with ethan prefab, however, that model has no issue during play (downloading teamviewr)

Attached Files:

• er5.PNG
      er5.PNG
      File size:
      54.7 KB
      Views:
  33. sr388

sr388

And fixed. It was an issue with the code that was trying to access to a component not stored yet. Thanks @sephytreebeard for telling me about this issue, it will be removed for update 2.4d. Also, it made me noticed a possible improvement for models with multiple meshes to being disabled properly when the player enters in first person view. That will be added too.

Regards.

neodotca, hopeful and sephytreebeard like this.
  34. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Another quick preview of the new build that will be ready very soon:

events2.gif

events3.gif

events4.gif

Regards.

35. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have finished to work the grab objects system to make it work properly when the player grab and carry an object physically from one gravity room/zone to another, so the object will behave properly when the player drops that object in a zone with a different gravity direction.

It can be noticed in the video from yesterday that when the player drops the battery in a zero gravity, it falls to the ground. Now, that works correctly.

Also, I have added the option to show and set automatically the icon of the weapon when the player draws it, along with options to show and hide if the bar slider, weapon name, ammo numbers and the icon of the weapon it self are hidden or not. This can be configured for every weapon separately. Here you can see different settings in different weapons:

Animation.gif

Regards.

mindfulmx, neodotca, Wetw0rx and 2 others like this.
  36. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Quick progress update.

The grab objects system has been improved, collisions works properly now between the grabbed object and other elements in the level without affecting the player, for third and first person. Also, objects can now be carried with only one hand and even without enabling the IK.

Every object can be configurated separately for hand positions, position where carry the object for third and first person, the size of the object, to calculate correctly the collider of the object to carry, etc...

grab objects improved 2.gif
    grab objects improved 4.gif
    grab objects improved 5.gif

I like this one specially haha.
    grab objects improved 8.gif
    grab objects improved 10.gif

Here the video:

Regards.

37. pbrowne

pbrowne

I did have doors openable using the GKC door system. It was working fine. However, in the Unity editor in Game mode, the doors won't open now, although the open icon/button shows and press E.

I can even hear the door open sound, but the doors aren't opening.

However with a WebGL build, the doors open fine.

But in a PC build, not opening. Any ideas?

38. sr388

sr388

Mmmm, have you checked that the meshes used on the door (the one which moves or rotates) aren't configured as static? This has happaned to some users (including myself), which forgot to check that setting in the meshes, and in that case the objects remain in place (though it is strange that works on webGL only).

Tell me if this is what happened. Else, we could make a teamviewer session to find and fix the issue.

Regards.

39. pbrowne

pbrowne

Hey, wow, that was it. I made all the buildings static a few days ago to make the Navmesh terrain walkable areas better for my NPCs. Of course the doors are part of the buildings... Works fine now. Strange it didn't affect the WebGL build.

40. sr388

sr388

Glad to hear it works now. Yeah, it is weird than in WebGL it works without setting it to non static. Maybe it is related to the no possibility of check if an object is static or not in a regular build but in WebGL maybe this limitation doesn't exist.

Regards.

41. oeoe

oeoe

Hi! The kit looks amazing but I don't see any info on multiplayer support. Can you do photon? I need it for multiplayer FPS purposes.

neodotca, sr388 and danreid70 like this.
  42. sr388

sr388

Hi @oeoe.

Thanks for your compliment and interest in the asset.

There is not multiplayer support yet, but it is very planned. The first type that will arrive is local multiplayer on split screen (which is mostly done, just a few preparations needed to have 2 or more players in the same scene).

Multiplayer will come next year, the objective is start to work on it before the summer.

Regards.

43. sr388

sr388

Good news, everyone.

I am uploading the project to mega, to share it with those users who asked for it, so in some minutes you will receive the link.

Consider this as a beta 0.1, there are places in the demo disabled and all the probuilder parts haven't been exported to .obj yet. The hierarchy is very well organized, so you can see very easily which is enabled and what disabled. Also, the minimum version to open it is 201.7.1.0f3.

Regards.

44. sr388

sr388

I am back.

Alright, links have been sent to those who asked for the beta version.

Take into account that the update is not ready 100% yet, and some prefabs haven't been update yet, but everything in the current scene called "Zero Gravity Demo (build)" works (the rest of scenes, which are the mansion and the standard one need to be checked and that will be done).

To those who asked for beta access and haven't received the link yet, send me another PM just in case I miss it.

And to all these users, please, give any feedback you consider to know your opinion for good or bad, including if you have any problem or bug.

Really excited to finish this udpate and it is very close to happen.

Regards.

neodotca and Mark_01 like this.
  45. oeoe

oeoe

Makes me so so sad : ( I really like what I'm seeing but multiplayer is a deal breaker for my project. Be sure to check out the latest Unity + Google collab https://unity.com/fps-sample

neodotca and sr388 like this.
  46. sr388

sr388

Yeah, me too.

The fps online unity sample looks amazing and I can't wait to try it and check how it works.

I would have added multiplayer a long time ago, but I am a one man team and I have been working in the core of the asset to make it as good and solid as possible.

But you can be sure I work as much as I can (day and a lot of times, night haha) to being able to bring online as soon as possible.

So it will come, it is one of the features that I want most.

Regards.

neodotca and EvilGremlin like this.
  47. oeoe

oeoe

Sadly I will have to use something else to hit my deadlines. Still, expect an invoice confirmation soon. Support a fellow 1-man team I must. The good fight is not going to win itself.

neodotca and EvilGremlin like this.
  48. neodotca

neodotca

Cool project, thanks for letting us know.

49. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Hello,I'm wondering if this asset includes a menu system?

50. sr388

sr388

Thank you very much @oeoe for your support, not all heroes wear capes. It is just a matter of time multiplayer arrive :)
    Yeah, once the invoice arrives, I can send you the link.

Yes, it has a component to manage menus, including pause menus (options, settings, etc..) and player menus (inventory, map, mission log, etc...) and submenu management, taking care of cursor, hiding and locking it or showing it and setting it free. The menu management works on mobile too, including all controls and actions addapted to it.

On update 3.0, the menus will be navigable with gamepad too. Tell me if you want to know anything more about the menu or other element from GKC.

Regards.

neodotca and Aaron2348 like this.