Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

70% OFF Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.7%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

29.8%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.3%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.3%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.2%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.8%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.8%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.2%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.2%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

:) excellent! lt would be cool to have some options to change the animation, jump ability and walk speed based on health/stats. That way the character can limp and be unable to jump if injured or just walk slow when low on health, in a storm or encumbered. Speaking of health, some survival stats like thirst, hunger, sleep, oxygen, weight, etc would take the asset lightyears ahead pretty easily. Triggers to increase/decrease these stats like the fuel/heal ones would be one thing and then some generic inventory items to restore these would be another. Then things like radiation areas, hot/cold areas, etc can be made to affect these stats using the triggers and items. We're already almost there with the heal/damage triggers and health packs etc. I can't wait to see these sort of things included in GKC. Of course the UI for this could turn into a clusterfuck so maybe a stats menu in the inventory could be implemented.

I love Dead Space and being that the central theme of the asset is gravity, 0g seems pretty relevant.

Also, with the new player weapon creation system, is it possible to create non weapon items like a flashlight or a torch? The weapon IK system would be perfect for the positioning but what about functionality? I think the weapons can already call editable functions, right? I haven't tested it yet but it seems doable...

Make sure to set the layer of any colliders/triggers that the vehicle is capable of being inside of to "ignore raycast". For instance, I have huge triggers in scenes for weather and such and if I land the aircraft inside one of these triggers and it isn't on the "ignore raycast" layer, strange things happen (like I can't exit vehicle, camera cancer, etc). Maybe that's the reason for your camera thing? Good luck bro.

So many exciting prospects. I wonder how the quest features are coming along :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    sr388, neodotca and tgamorris76 like this.
  2. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

This. :D

I'm still trying to get the AIs to shoot at me from a different level (most likely nav mesh issues) or from afar. Increasing they're detection range and decreasing they're weapon spread helps. Friendly auto turrets that accept commands and can track and auto shoot based on faction would be frikken rad but the AIs need some help. If I could just get them to shoot more accurately. Maybe I'm missing something since I'm used to dealing with hitscan type weapons. Physical ammo is cool though and has more pros than cons. I gotta do more testing. Something to keep in mind though while working on the nice new weapon ballistics previewed a few posts back...

sr388 and tgamorris76 like this.
  3. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

So one last thing lol (I should go to bed -4:56am).

My character is having extreme, unwanted head movements while on the motorbike. Could just be something to do with configuring the Look At thingy.
    Also, it would be good to have an "engine on" sound play with the new ignition button. Currently, turning the aircraft on gives no feedback. Then, there should be a different sound for when the button is pressed but the vehicle is out of fuel (maybe even a camera shake). Individual sounds for aircraft take off and brake would add a lot. Also seperate particles for exhaust and boost would help. Aaand, for some reason the wind and aircraft engine sounds are all weird and autotune for me. It was working before though so maybe Unity 2017.3 broke it.

I know I'm all over the place tonight but as a one man band, I'm trying to cover all the bases. I feel like I'm missing something :confused: but I gotta go. I'm recording a video showcasing any issues and suggestions but it's spring break here in America and it's a busy time for me. I'll try to post it ASAP though.

As always, keep up the stellar work, captain.

sr388 likes this.
  4. hopeful

hopeful

Why would navmesh influence AI firing? I can imagine it would influence AI movement, but firing ought to be related to distance and visibility computed by raycasts ... right?

sr388 likes this.
  5. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

Maybe it has to do with colliders/layers/tags but for some reason the AIs seem to not wanna shoot from one mesh to another. I could be totally missing something though. It could be that the AIs can't shoot what they can't create a path to. I'm just throwing out a line here to see if sr388 has a suggestion. I'm gonna try to reproduce the issue today.

sr388 likes this.
  6. sr388

sr388

Of course, the system will be able to know what limbs have been severed and how to react according to that. I have played dead space games a ton of times (specially 2, one of my favourite games ever) and I want to bring all those mechanics to the asset.

About stats, of course, add this kind of survival elements is planned and won't take too much time for it(probably, I will start to work on the main structure of it for update 2.4c). And yeah, I think add a submenu in the inventory is the way to go, with all the stats components). Even elements like hunting could be useful too, to get food, resources, improve weapons (for this I would like to take a look to horizon zero down).

Absolutely, in fact, I want to add a flashlight too (and add more survival/horror elements, combined with the locked cameras, a silent hill can be almost achieved). With the ability system for weapons, new behaviours can be added easily to "weapons" or in that case, elements that the player is holding which maybe doesn't shoot but does other things.

The system allows to use unity events to configure the actions when the fire (when key down, key up or hold key) and central buttons (by default in the mouse) are pressed, like for example, do you remember the healing weapon? It uses this system.

So it could be used to create other kind of tools, like a portal gun, gravity gun, or the magnet or stasis from breath of the wild.

upload_2018-3-24_19-48-13.png

upload_2018-3-24_19-49-21.png

Exactly, not only for vehicles, but for any kind of trigger, it needs to use the ignore raycast layer to ignore camera collision.

The quest system will be started soon ;)

That is due to range value to attack to targets. In the inspector you can configure the min distance (in straight line) to shoot at targets, so even if the player is at different height, if the AI is close enough, it will shoot at him.

The AI still needing more work, for example to configure positions to hide and shoot, decide when to attack or hide, etc...

You can configure these values in the inspector Find Objectives System and AI Navmesh.

upload_2018-3-24_20-54-59.png

upload_2018-3-24_20-55-24.png
    Of course, spread will affect to accuracy, the lower spread, the better accuracy.

Here a gif where I attack an NPC with a distance attack of 100 in different height platforms with no spread in his weapon:

attack.gif

Exactly, there is a component which manages the nav mesh and another the target info, position, looking, etc...

It is due to different bones orientation in different models. I have to improve the head orientation configuration on vehicles to work with any kind of skeleton, it will be done very soon.

I couldn't be more agree. More realistic elements will be added for vehicles, like lights, sounds, passengers and driver shakes according to vehicle movement and impacts, etc...

I still need to try unity 2017.3, it seems that it could be causing some issues related to unity.

And of course, feel free to give as much feedback as possible, no matter if these are suggestions or issues, it helps a lot to improve or make fixes.

And now, as a captain, I fly away.

Regards.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    Wetw0rx likes this.
  7. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Hi sr388 :) any word on when update will be ready?

8. sr388

sr388

I want to have it complete this weekend.

tgamorris76 and Wetw0rx like this.
  9. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

So after playing with some nav mesh baking, I've gotten much better results. The AIs definitely don't like shooting things that aren't on a nav mesh. Also they will shoot miserably if they are placed on an object without a nav mesh (tried it to see if I could get one to easily stay put and shoot). For example, if the AI is on a nav mesh and the player isn't, the AI will fail to shoot and if he does, it will be wildly inaccurate. Nav meshes do affect the AIs ability to shoot somehow. Sounds wierd but I can reproduce it. The solution for me was to bake nav meshes for ALL walkable areas even if you don't expect AIs to ever go there. Maybe that's a given but I didn't think it was necessary. Also, generating off mesh links and playing with agent jump distance and drop height lead to some pretty cool surprises with AIs dropping in on me and chasing more effectively.

On the GKC end, setting the minimum draw, aim and shoot distances allowed for longer range shoot outs but what exactly does min distance to enemy do? Ive left it untouched so far. Gonna go back in my test scene and see. I think I increased the size of the sphere collider that detects the player instead (probably not a good idea). I've also changed the capsule collider that looks like the AIs line of sight. Should I leave that alone? I'm not sure what it does now lol.

All in all though, I'm blown away by how a few simple changes made such a huge difference. I've got long range, multi level shooting action and it's pretty darn solid. Thanks for the input guys.

sr388 and tgamorris76 like this.
  10. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

Further testing has resulted in some AIs that will stand their ground and shoot! So if the fov trigger is set to a radius of say 50 and minimum enemy distance is set to something like 50 then the AI will detect the player and shoot but not run after you. I've managed to set up some different AI enemy types by configuring these values and limiting what weapon they use. I've got some chasing for melee. Some shooting from far with rifles (woohoo) and using the minimum distance to move back, some are rushing in and stopping at 15m or so blasting shotguns. There really is a lot that can be done with this. Some are on patrol, some just hang out and surprise you when you get close, it's awesome.

sr388 and hopeful like this.
  11. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

Hey @Baconation4. I came accross the same camera issue as you. Turns out that unchecking certain scripts totally breaks the vehicle/on foot camera switching. For me it was the Jetpack Script in the player controller. Turning it off caused the same issues you described. For now, to get rid of the Jetpack, just turn off all the meshes for it. If some other script is causing your issue plz post so it can be known. I'm pretty sure this is your solution.

Baconation4, hopeful and sr388 like this.
  12. sr388

sr388

Hi @Wetw0rx.

Thanks for more feedback. I will check the new messages tomorrow and answer them properly (it is 7:00 pm right now and I haven't slept yet xd).

Btw, I have added a couple of options in the locked camera system, one to allow to rotate the camera within a range and to make zoom.

The rotation can be made smoothly or not, and when the player enters in the next locked camera position, the rotation and zoom values are reset.

I will post gifs of these options tomorrow as well.

Regards.

Wetw0rx likes this.
  13. Baconation4

Baconation4

Hey thanks for that information! I am going to definitely check it out because I think I may have it disabled. If that is the fix for the problem I'll be really happy lol, will definitely give an update here once I can check it out.

sr388 and Wetw0rx like this.
  14. sr388

sr388

Enough nap time, let gets back to work (though, I have been working already for a few hours xd, I wanted to finish some elements for the update).

The min distance to enemy is the minimum value for the AI navmesh to move towards its target position, so for example, if the distance to shoot is 50 and the min distance to enemy is 10, the AI will start to shoot at a distance of 50 (if the AI is able to see the target using a raycast), but the AI will move until a distance of 10 while it shoots.

This min distance will affect to nav mesh, so if this navmesh distance is lower than distances to shoot/attack, the AI will be "confused" because can't reach the target and attack it, so it is important to work with both distance settings in AI Navmesh and Find Objectives System components (one manages the nav mesh and the player movement and the other checks who is an enemy or not and attack to him).

But don't worry, the AI will be improved in every update and of course, all these settings will be explained more in detail in the doc file.

The fov trigger is made to change its radius to the distance of the attacker (if that AI is attacked to include it as target enemy) or increase it with an extra value if an enemy enters inside of it.

I really can't wait to add more behaviours to AI, improve it to work in group, take their own decisions, see pursuits between different factions, dodge, add melee weapons to player and npcs (they share the same code, so once the player have them, the AI will do as well) and let them fight.

Oh, I see. I will add some code checkings to avoid this problem if some script is disabled or removed, like the jetpack or flying system. This will come with more customization options.

About the locked camera system, I have improved the follow player position and look at him options too. Also, I will add an option to reset camera rotation when it is locked and can be rotated.

Finally, another option to eject the player and passengers from vehicles has been added along with the self destruct. I am thinking about another cool use of sticky grenades, like set a lot of them in a vehicle, drive it towards a group of enemies, eject the player and with an option for the secundary button weapon, explode those grenades along with the car. Brutal.

Here the gifs about the rotation range for locked camera working with the follow player position and the option to look at player:

rotation in locked camera.gif

rotation in locked camera4.gif

rotation in locked camera5.gif

This is just the option to look at player and follow his position.
    rotation in locked camera8.gif

And this one follows player's position and allows to rotate the camera with a range (when the player aims, the camera rotation is paused).
    rotation in locked camera10.gif

This setting allows to make 2.5d games for example, though another option to move camera position up, down, right and left inside a range will be added, due to that control mode works better for a 2.5d game than rotate the camera with a range.

Regards.

Wetw0rx, Baconation4 and tgamorris76 like this.
  15. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have added a few more options for the locked camera system, like move the camera up, down, left and right within a range and with spring option to move the camera to its fixed position (much like 2.5d games with controllable camera). Also, another option to configure a rotation limit for the look at player position mode.

Finally, I have added another option on vehicles to restart the camera rotation or configure the same angle view from the player to the vehicle when he get on and vice versa, both of them moving the camera smoothly to its target position.

I will post gifs of these elements tomorrow (it is a little late here ....again, 6:00 am xd).

And about the update, there is nothing more to add, only a couple of elements to polish, make a few tests, configure the scenes for first/third person, weapons/powers mode, etc.... and it will be finished. I will try to have it ready tomorrow.

Regards.

Wetw0rx and tgamorris76 like this.
  16. neoshaman

neoshaman

You should look at cinemachine asap, it's like redoing mecanim from scratch, everybody gonna use the official one (I know it's for learning practice though)

Wetw0rx, sr388 and Razmot like this.
  17. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Just wondered sr388, any chance of having different states for the map camera. so as is for on foot and a lot higher when in an aircraft, and a medium zoom for when in a wheeled vehicle or hovercraft?

Wetw0rx and sr388 like this.
  18. sr388

sr388

Yeah, I want to try it for the next update, to make transitions from cinematics to gameplay.

The locked camera system is something that I wanted to make to allow to configure easily a group of camera positions to create old school games (like resident evil or silent hill), with a lot of customizable options and a workflow as easy as possible to configure all the necesary elements (like configure camera view using the current camera editor position and rotation), triggers to change between cameras, transitions, etc.. and I think all of this have been achieved.

But not only that, this same system will be used for the 2.5d mode, click and point, isometric and top down, so it is fully integrated with the rest of systems of the asset, like use devices, aim weapons, move the player according to camera orientation, multiple players in scene (for the future split screen system), etc...and for all of this, I didn't wanted this system and internal working to be dependent of nothing.

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand what you mean and that maybe other users could prefer to use cinemachine, but for the porpuses and possibilites for the locked camera system, I think that it covers perfectly. Also, you are very right, since a lot time ago, I wanted to know how to make this system for knowledge porpuses too

Mmmm, that could be very useful. Added to the todo list ;)

Btw, here the gifs from yesterday for the camera movement in locked mode:

locked camera movement1.gif

Here it uses the spring option to place the camera back to its place when the mouse movement stops with a little delay.
    locked camera movement4.gif

And here the camera movement stops while the player aims.
    locked camera movement5.gif

Also, I forgot to mention that I have added a shake option for the player's upper body when he shoots a weapon (mostly for big weapons, but it can be configure in all of them), with amount and speed values (part of the gif is in time bullet to see better the torso rotation):

weapon shake.gif

Regards.

19. Baconation4

Baconation4

The cinemachine integration sounds awesome. I've done some minor tweaks essentially so I have have in game cinematics that can smoothly transition into the player taking control. Can't wait for the new update!

sr388 likes this.
  20. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

Thanks for further explaining some of the details with AI pathing and nav mesh. I've got a really firm grip on it now and it's amazing. Sure they could wiggle and jiggle a little more but it'll get there.
    Haven't really looked into the locked camera thing but it sounds very interesting.
    Every time I consider a new asset, I always wonder if GKC can already do it and many times it does. Then I end up learning how it's done and having huge epiphanies in the process. Even if I decide to use other assets anyways, I'll do it with a much better understanding and an example for integration. The learning aspect of GKC cannot be understated. SR388 is like proffessor X teaching people how to use their mutant powers. :D

tgamorris76 and sr388 like this.
  21. guy_rabiller

guy_rabiller

Hello,
    I'm particularly interested in:
    - Full body awareness in first person (compatible I hope with big space suit ; ) )
    - Gravity zero like astronaut mode
    Can you give us a timeframe when those features will be available ?
    (also interested in anything related to astronaut simulation, transition from zero to gravity from rotating rings parts of space station like, IK while still influenced by gravity zero physics and thrusters, tether, etc..)
    Thanks!

sr388 likes this.
  22. sr388

sr388

Yeah, can't wait neither. I have been seeing some videos about cinemachine to know how it works and it will be very easy to integrate.

Damn, proffessor X doesn't kill, but now that you now my secret identity, I have not choice.....xd. Haha, thanks men.
    I really like that people find in GKC a learning tool (I am the first that learn from it). Like I said, this asset will cover eventually all the elements necessary in any type of game (though some parts could be covered by other assets integrated), but the most important elements will be done and added.

I know the feel about those epiphanies, I can't be to far from something to write how a system could be done or improved or add a new feature just by seing a game video or trailer xd.

Thanks again for your message, it really made me smile.

Hi @guy_rabiller and welcome to the forum (your first message here).

The zero gravity astronaut mode will come in the next update after 2.4b which is about to be complete in no time. I want to include a lot of elements and mechanics from dead space saga (the astronaut mode will be very similar to dead space 2) and more stuff related to space, like pressure and decompression, detachable spaceship segments from damage or manually, artificial gravity, energy management, ship orbiting a planet or and object, etc....

I didn't know the word tether, but I suppose you mean to attach the player to a ship part using a rope or similar to keep him close to it and not move away too much from the ship, right?

I didn't think about it but it could be very cool and it could be used with a simple procedural rope system that I made some time ago (which I want to use to make cables like in half life 2). I will add it to the todo list to check if can be done.

The full bod awareness will come this year, but I haven't a date yet, maybe around june-july. It is part of the update 2.5 which will come in different parts between 2.4 and 2.5 like the current updates 2.4a and 2.4b.

Regards.

Wetw0rx and neodotca like this.
  23. guy_rabiller

guy_rabiller

Thanks @sr388!
    Yes tether is exactly that. Working with a railing system fixed along the outside structure of a space station.
    Regarding artificial gravity, in my project there wont be "magical" gravity, only gravity induce by centrifugal force, ie spinning big donut shape like parts of space station. I'm not sure how to handle that yet, especially for the transition with zero gravity and acceleration/deceleration platforms but if you have any thought/feature about that for a next release, do not hesitate : )
    Thanks again!

sr388 likes this.
  24. sr388

sr388

Mmmm it is really interesting to create gravity by centrifugal force, though I don't know if that can be actually be achieved and work perfectly with player controllers or if just better and easier use a gravity direction calculated from the center of the spinning section center to the position of the player.

Maybe the gravity system could know if it is inside a zone with artificial gravity and apply force in the proper direction. If that zone lost its energy, the gravity stops (due to lost power or the spinning section rotation stops) and the player starts to float in the ship.

Maybe something like that. I could try something similar.

Thanks to you for your interest in the asset.

Btw, about the update, I am finishing the only element left to do in the todo list for this update, which is fix an old issue with drawing and keeping weapons for the player. It is almost solved and the code it is simpler and better now.

Regards.

tgamorris76, Wetw0rx and neodotca like this.
  25. guy_rabiller

guy_rabiller

Awesome. Thanks!

sr388 likes this.
  26. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Finally, I have fixed the issue with weapons movement in third person (part of it has been remade), thought it need some more work (I will back to that in the next update, for now, it works fine). Also, I have improved elements related to the pocket system for weapons when the player drops and pick weapons and the projectile system too.

So yeah, the only part to do is make a few tests and configure the scenes, so finally, tomorrow the update will be finished and uploaded.

Regards.

27. sr388

sr388

Good news everyone.

Finally, the update is complete and uploaded to the asset store, so you can expect it to be avaliable in the next 2-3 days.

Here the full changelog:

Anyway, this is a very big update with a lot of improvements and new options and I think you would like it. Sorry for all the delays with this new version, I wanted to polish it as much as possible.

Also, here the new demos:

PC DEMOS

APK DEMOS

Feel free to tell anything about them or the changelog. Let's get some coffee and get back to work for the next update which will bring brand new demo scenes.

Regards.

28. ivolga-indi

ivolga-indi

29. 3DWizerd

3DWizerd

Right on ! :D

sr388 likes this.
  30. neoshaman

neoshaman

Just want to further stress that:

Cinemachine: it is a camera system, does:
    - third person camera,
    - fixed camera,
    - on rail cam,
    - blending between cam (using virtual camera position
    - advanced tracking of one or multiple POI
    - managing camera and post process state and transition
    - Occlusion management through priority of cam (transition when LOS is broken)

Timeline = sequencer

Timeline combine with cinemachine = cinematic presentation

I see some hint of confusion when people talk about it, and most presentation doesn't help, because cinemachine is presented in conjunction with timeline too often.

Wetw0rx and hopeful like this.
  31. sr388

sr388

Yeah, you are very right, even I have been talken about it not properly sometimes. The idea is to integrate both systems for cinematic porpuses, so the player actions (and anything necessary) are stopped and the cinematic starts and viceversa, with different options for smooth or direct transitions (and more).

Btw, I have just made another quick video with the self destruction vehicle clips, here:

Like I said, this system can be used in any vehicle. The next showcase video to be done will be for player's weapons.

Regards.

neoshaman, Razmot and Baconation4 like this.
  32. Baconation4

Baconation4

What would be the easiest way to use an NPC for conversation? I was messing around with setting it as a device but still had difficulties getting panels to appear similar to conversations in fallout.

Also is there a way right now to have NPCs follow a set path while essentially leading the player through a scene with the occasional animation change?

They are oddly specific in the instances but if there are current existing scripts and such that I am missing, I have been enjoying the tweaking, I just have not enjoyed custom scripting a path system while syncing animations during the game object movements lol.

sr388 likes this.
  33. sr388

sr388

Actually, all of that is planned to do, like adding conversation to NPCs with the dialog system.

For this, along with the dialog system itself, the NPCs need an option to not follow the player (in this case, the friendly AI follows those characters with a faction name configured in their inspector, in this case, the player faction).

So once the conversation is over, it can (or not) trigger a set of functions, like unlock a mission, give an item, make that NPC to follow the player (for example if you hire him to help you to fight enemies, or even show a path for the player, while he leads the way, like you said).

And like with the other element, the leading the way for the player will be included as well, just need an option for the AI to move towards its target inside a radius, so if the AI partner (in this case, the player) is inside of this radius, the AI will keep moving until reach the final position.

This will be very easy and quick to add.

Basically, the AI has two components, Find Objectives System and AINavmesh.

The first one is used to manage the enemies to attack, checking if a character is an enemy of its faction or not, store all the posible targets and enemies and attack the closest one, who attack him, etc... This system uses two triggers in the AI, one sphere to store all the characters inside of it and a capsule for its view range, to check if an object is an enemy or not. This view range will be improved soon.

The second one manages the navmesh agent in the AI, setting a target to reach. Also, this component has a partner (like said before, this partner is empty by default until a character from an specific faction found that AI), so the AI follows this partner, unless that partner give other order, like wait, attack, etc...

Regards.

Baconation4 likes this.
  34. Bob3000

Bob3000

I think there isn't a way to do conversations yet, that's in the 2.5 roadmap, Quests/Mission, Level & Store, as these are all related in order to be able to ship a game. I'm sure a hardworking Dev such as sr388 will do a good job in the coming months.

My first Unity platform post, but I already bought GKC (after a long comparison vs other products), I have been using it & like what I see, particularly looking forward to the future, instead of getting a few addons for the missions/quest, store etc I believe GKC may eventually have them, or at least make compatible with some popular existing plugins.

Keep up the good works!

Wetw0rx and sr388 like this.
  35. sr388

sr388

Hi @Bob3000.

Welcome to Unity forums and thanks for your purchase.

Yeah, it is planned to do, and maybe it will be included (at least the main structure) for the update 2.4c which is the next one.

There are very complete solutions out there for conversation system, but I want to add my own system inside this asset, to make it more complete and eventually, make it as good as others (this is already done with other system, like inventory, save system, map, etc....).

Of course, other solutions and useful assets will be integrated in future updates.

Regards.

36. Baconation4

Baconation4

thanks for the quick replies and i am definitely looking forward to that future update. i can move to some other aspects of my project :D

sr388 likes this.
  37. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

hey :) it's worth checking out PlyGame in asset store. It's a visual scripting tool with dialogue and quest options. I am using it as a placeholder till sr388 gets around to including a quest and dialogue system in the kit :) i trust he's will be properly integrated and supported but for now plyGame does it for me. visual scripting side of it called blox helps with some of the game script basics with single blox specifically designed so for triggers and such works fine.

If u do need help integrating there is a code sr388 gave that disengages the mouse for convo's and stuff wich works well with plyGames DiaQ system.

sr388 likes this.
  38. Baconation4

Baconation4

I definitely agree with scripting tools. I have been using Gameflow, which is due for another huge update to its 1.0 release and a price increase, (it's very modest right now), and the uses are endless :D

sr388 likes this.
  39. Bob3000

Bob3000

Thanks I'll take a look at some point, now I'm in the middle of creating a world & other contents. If I need help I'll ask you guys.

Yes sr388, stitching too many addons from different Devs has its cons & pros, for me stability & compatibility is super important, I have been using Unity for a few years now, I have always thought is was the least sophisticated engine I came across (I was in the AAA shops for a longtime)... but now I found it to be pretty decent with talented Devs making addons for it.

One thing, I don't know why you like DeadSpace so much & spend times to add its features, not a bad thing but that game was close to me, so close that the devs would walk by my desk. Its an ok franchise but they would appreciate that you like it.

sr388 likes this.
  40. sr388

sr388

Yeah, I want to check that asset, because an user asked too about it and by what you have said about it, the integration could be easy and quick, so definetively I wiil check it out (I will send a message to their developers soon).

In theory, integration with visual scripting tools should be easy to achieve, I suppose that they have something similar to unity events, so it could be easy to make both asset to talk between them.

Unity was one of the first engines that I tried and I fall in love inmediately. After that, I have tried others like cry engine (not for me), other based in web (not like too much) and unreal engine (but I don't like too much the blueprints workflow, I like more to code my own stuff, but I totally understand that other people like it). Also, the unity updates in the past years and recently are amazing and of couse, indepedent asset developers are making a lot of cool and useful tools, both paid and free. After 4 years working with unity, there is a lot of stuff that I haven't tried yet xd.

Especially, the first and second game have a little space in my heart, due to the moment of my life where I played (a lonely one).

Besides that, its mechanics for space, gravity, oxygen, energy, sound, etc... I think they are a great example for any other game set in space (if you know a better example of space games, please tell me, I really would like to know more games about this genre that I haven't seen).

Regards.

neodotca and tgamorris76 like this.
  41. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

First quick update progress for the new version 2.4c.

The save system is already usable in the game menu, so you can save the game in every moment too. In that case, the capture for the save is made with the main camera game, and the save system stores now separated rotation for player and camera, loading then just like when they were when the game was saved.

Also, the checkpoint system has been added working with save system, with an easy checkpoint creator and manager to place them easily in the scene. If the player reaches a checkpoint, an extra save slot is added to the save game menu. This slot cannot been used to save in the save menu or being deleted, is just overwritten for checkpoints and it can only loaded.

And of course, in the main game menu, the continue button will load the last save stored.

It will work with the ragdoll to reset player state when he dies, to appear again in the last checkpoint.

Finally, the damage and heal triggers has been improved too and have a new option to apply its value at once, so they can heal or kill the player in the moment he enters the trigger (also, does the same with fuel or energy).

Regards.

hopeful, neodotca, Wetw0rx and 3 others like this.
  42. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Is there a fast travel system built into the kit?

43. sr388

sr388

In the same scene, yes, there is a quick travel station (called beacon in the prefabs folder and in the demo scene). If the player reaches one of these beacons, they are activated and in the map, you can tap on them and press quick travel button. These beacons have been improved for the version 2.4b (which is taking more than I expected to be released xd).

For quick travel between different scenes there is nothing yet, because I didn't think in what way could be used by the player. Maybe, make a general game world map and select there the beacons found, but for this is necessary to improve the save system to store more elements from the game (in this case, the beacons found previoulsy) so they can appear in the map. This will be done in a future update, the save system will serialize first other elements, like inventory, player stats, weapons, etc...

Regards.

tgamorris76 likes this.
  44. Baconation4

Baconation4

I know in games like Skyrim and Fallout, it seems to have specific places the player loads to when travelling to an area. Always to a specific spot. Typically activates and autosave function as well, but there is usually a load screen depending on how many resources need to load, which can affect the length of loading as well.

tgamorris76 and sr388 like this.
  45. sr388

sr388

Yeah, with the system used for the checkpoints, the asset has already an autosave mode and for now, is really quik, with no time to save or load the file info using bynary format (though the option to store a capture of the game is which takes like 0.1 seconds to save that image file, maybe a lower capture resolution can reduce this time, but there is an option to enable or disable this capture save).

To load leves, I will add asynchronous load to make it as fast and unnoticeable as possible.

Regards.

Wetw0rx and tgamorris76 like this.
  46. sr388

sr388

Good news everyone.

The update 2.4b is now live in the asset store, so stop reading this, and go get it.

Regards.

Razmot, neodotca, tgamorris76 and 3 others like this.
  47. Baconation4

Baconation4

YYYYYYEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

tgamorris76 likes this.
  48. magique

magique

This looks really good, but why is Unity 5.6 not supported? Also, I see only modern weapons and no melee. Is there a way to do melee combat such as sword & shield?

sr388 likes this.
  49. sr388

sr388

Hi magique.

Thanks for your interest in the asset.

It was supported, but in some previous update, I decide to set the initial version at 2017.1.0f3, which works really well (not found any unity issues in that version) and to start to use those unity new features like improved navmesh in different surfaces, cinemachine, etc...

About melee weapons, it is planned to add along with a lot of new weapons, regular (like snipers), scifi (saberlight), medieval (like bows, swords), etc... and crazy and cool weapons too, like portal, half life, etc... and new systems like configurable ingame attachments, dual weapons, etc....

This update will be started right now and it will come in different versions (one update will bring more weapons, another attachments, etc...)

Regards.

50. magique

magique

@sr388 Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, I can't use 2017 just yet because I'm developing on the Wii U and 2017 is not ready for prime time on that platform. I also really need melee combat. If it weren't for those two things, I'd definitely give this a try.

sr388 and Baconation4 like this.