Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.6%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

30.0%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.2%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.0%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.1%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.5%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.6%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.4%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.2%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. hopeful

hopeful

I don't recall if this has been asked before, but If possible, maybe the layers and input and so on could be user-customized, so there would no longer be a need to write over the project settings when this pack is installed. That would make this pack a lot more friendly with other packs. :)

If this is done, then all you need to do is move the pack from the "Complete Projects" section to the "Scripting" section, and the overwriting of project settings will no longer occur.

2. sr388

sr388

Yes, sorry for that, I didn't include the three planets, the skybox and the meteoroids from the demo scene in the asset due that I don't made them. But all of them are free to download.

The skybox can be found in the asset store. The planet with mountains and the meteoroids can be found in blendswap. The other two planetoids belong to the game super mario galaxy, and these can be found in models-resource.

Regards.

TymNetwork likes this.
  3. sr388

sr388

Now that you mention, is a very good idea, since I also think the same about some project settings of some assets.
    So yeah, I will modify the asset to avoid this kind of situation. I guess that an editor option in the inspector could do the job.

About the complet projects section, all assets in this category always overwrite the project settings? I didn´t notice that.

Regards.

hopeful likes this.
  4. hopeful

hopeful

Yup. Importing any Complete Project will overwrite your current project settings. Which is okay if the first thing you import is a complete project, but then what if you want to add another pack that is a complete project ...? :)

If you uncheck the Project Settings folder on import, it won't overwrite your project settings, but then what happens is you end up with something that won't work, and you have to try to set up the layers, input and so forth on your own, and very typically these settings are not documented in the complete project. So my take on it is that Complete Projects are pretty much a big pain, and it's best for everyone to set up adjustable settings.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    TymNetwork likes this.
  5. sr388

sr388

You are very right. Sometimes is a pain in the ass when you import two or more projects, and the settings create a conflict or remove any important configuration.
    At the beginning of this asset, I tried to use new tags or layers only when there weren't more options, but finally, there are a considerable list of them.

I have already searched info to make an editor script to define layers and tags. But something that I am thinking, is a way to set the layer or tags in prefabs, and objects already present in the scene. I think that I will need to add a script to every object that use a new layer or tags. Then in the main script editor, add a button that will add all the new layers and tags to the current project, and at the same time, call to every object to configure its layer and tag.

About the input, the edit key input option that I have added use the default input configuration. In this capture, you can see an example of how works, similar to the input option of Unity. But this also can be configured in game.
    Captura.PNG

TymNetwork and hopeful like this.
  6. TymNetwork

TymNetwork

The more you make it customize-able, the better this asset becomes to me. The character builder that you have setup is a perfect addition to helping people add their own characters. I have many question about that function alone, and you have placed so many waiting functions that I am getting excited about game design again. Even dusted off old projects and activated previous websites for them in the future.

about the 'character builder' in the asset:
    1. I deleted Ethan character from the gravityCenter.
    2. Added my rigged humanoid character into the scene and dropped it onto the gravityCenter
    3. On the Character transform I see Build Player - What can be added to this? I press it and my character aligns and is set up the way I want.
    ( Here is where my questions about adding to the script different functions to add to the character )
    4. Only issue is the aiming setup. Even when I pause, get values, stop, add values, play, ------that is when the values reset.

*using the latest Unity 3D build -

Finally,
    I am happy with my purchase, and only want to HELP YOU with success of any future versions.

Any comment, advise, or criticism from me is strictly to help you give the world a good product without cheating yourself out of your hard earned designing money. I know how time consuming it can be. Keep doing what you are doing. Great job.

Tym

sr388 likes this.
  7. sr388

sr388

This type of feedback only makes me want to get time from any place (even rocks, I don't know haha) to keep working in improvements and new features. Seriously, thank you very much men. I am glad that you consider that you have done a good purchase for your also hard earned money.

So, do you have any questions or doubts about build player? Sorry, I didn't understand the last part of the point 3, the one between parenthesis.

About the issue with the aiming setup, it is weird, usually works fine. I will check and fix that problem. With the adding of inverse kinematics in a future update, this configuration won't be neccessary.

And don't worry, feel free to post any comment about issues, problems, advises or suggestions, it only helps me to improve the asset and offer a better and solid controller.

Regards and happy new year.

TymNetwork likes this.
  8. TymNetwork

TymNetwork

In the post, I did NOT post any specific questions yet. Sometimes my questions can be answered by more work this asset.

I bought characters, used MIXAMO, and even found that old Unity 3d Werewolf character and added them into the project.
    The speedball charcacter worked perfect. That was the first one. The aiming position is what I need to work on.
    This is where IK would be a plus. I will be looking more into the latest work of IK from people and ask questions.

I am going to go testing out every character from low poly to extreme and see what happens.
    I will post my results this week.

sr388 likes this.
  9. sr388

sr388

Ahm, ok. Occasionally my english makes me misunderstand a phrase.

I still don't know why the aim system doesn't work properly to you, but yes, the controller will use the inverse kinematics of unity 5. I really want to add it as soon as possible.

If you test models or the Ik, tell me any result, it really would help me and I really would thank to you for your help.

10. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone, I just to share a new feature that I have just finished. I have always wanted to make access panels like in doom 3, so I add a couple of captures with the panel in first person (which is the better way to use it):
    Sin título.png
    It uses UI of unity, but it is Independent from the main HUD, so also can be modificated to make more types of panels and terminals. When the player is close enough, the mouse in the terminal follows the center of the screen (just like in doom 3). Just aim to a number and press the key to activate devices (by default is T, but it can be changed in the key input editor ). Also, the panel is already usable with touch controls, by using the button to activate devices, or by pressing any number with the finger.

When the password is correct, it calls to a gameobject function, to activate doors, elevators, etc... Here another capture with the correct password:
    Sin título2.png

And here how a panel looks in doom 3:

Doom3-057.jpg

Hope you like it. Back to work.
    Regards.

TymNetwork, Muroh and Renokun like this.
  11. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone, I have added another feature. It is a scanner mode, very similar to the used in metroid games. You can add a text with information to an object. When the scanner is enabled, the player changes to first person and you just have to search for scannable objects. which will be marked to know more about them.

The idea is being able to create a database of these objects (also enemies), which can be consulted in a terminal or in a menu, just like in metroid. I will improve the interface, here a couple of captures:
    Sin título.png
    Sin título1.png

This capture shows how the scanner looks in metroid:

Metroid_prime_Scan_Visor.jpg

Hope you like it.

By the way, this week I have been busier than I would wanted to, so I haven't could work so much in the asset. So, for now, I think that the best option is upload the current features just added, being this update the version 2.3. I have exams these days, but as soon as I finish them, I will keep working in the version 2.4. So the features list of version 2.3 are:
    • Improved footsteps system, with mesh and terrain texture detection and random pool of sounds
    • Editable key controls in game and in editor mode
    • Improved power system, more configurable
    • Editable key numbers powers (drag and drop)
    • Selectable power by rotating the mouse
    • Fixed the locked cursor in unity 5
    • Fixed an issue in editing touch buttons positions
    • Fixed an issue with the footsteps being disabled by the ragdoll wizard
    • Code terminals using UI
    • Two new powers: Implosion grenades and multiple trackable shooting objectives
    • Scanner visor know more info about an object or an enemy
    • Pickable health and power

any news about the tests, Tym?

Regards.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    shikhrr, TymNetwork and Muroh like this.
  12. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.
    I have update the main post, with the final features of the version 2.3. I wanted to launch directly the version 2.4, but I have to keep working yet in the main features of it. So in the meantime, I will upload the version 2.3, which it will be finished in less that a week, just have to check the code, comment it more, and add the new information to the documentation.

So to the list that I said in the previous post, there are this other features:
    • Headbob in first person
    • Improved laser, with particles and reflections in other surfaces
    • Fall damage
    • Set in the editor if the game starts in third person view or first person
    Also, once that the version 2.3 is avaliable, I would like to upload some video tutorials to show better the new features and how to use it. Don't worry, these tutorials will be included in the documentation.

By the way, in the main post I have added more features in the future list, which honestly is getting a little big haha.

Finally, the contest to win a free voucher is almost finished, so hurry up and participate in it: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/contest-win-a-free-voucher-for-gravity-twist-controller.376336/

Regards.

Muroh likes this.
  13. sr388

sr388

Good news everyone.

Sorry for the huge delay to update the new version, it is just that I have not much free time, and I am always adding everything that comes to my mind, but I think that these features worth the waiting.

I have just update a video with all the new features of version 2.3 (I forgot to record the double jump, the laser with multiple reflections and the editor option to start the game in first or third option :p), so you can see these features better than in captures. I just have to check the code, to make sure that everything works good together and with out any issues.

Here the video:

These days I have upgraded the gravity control system with some improvements and simplifications, but with better controls. Now it doesn't need some gameObjects that were inside the player, like cameraForward, newGravityDirection and so, and now while the player searchs a new surface, the player can also move to right, left, forward and backwards in the direction of the movement (do not confuse with the movement in the air when the player jumps or falls, in both situations the player can moves using the movement keys), in the same way that gravity rush.

Also, the asset is now more extensible and configurable, every new power is much easy to add. The control input has been improved. Now to define a new control, just set an action name, the key name, and if the control has a touch button, adding in that case to the inspector. That it is all, I just wanted to make easy, simple and functional. Here a capture of how it looks:

Captura.PNG

It has not the type of key (key, keydown or keyup) value, because it is decided by the user what type of pressing you need, so you can use the same button for different situations like pressdown to grab an object and pressup to drop it, or hold the key to throw it. This is how to call the grab button:

if(input.getButton ("Grab Objects", inputManager.buttonType.getKeyDown) || input.getTouchButton ("Grab Objects", inputManager.buttonType.getKeyDown)){
    //grab object
    }

if(input.getButton ("Grab Objects", inputManager.buttonType.getKeyUp) || input.getTouchButton ("Grab Objects", inputManager.buttonType.getKeyUp)){
    //drop object
    }

In this case, it checks if the "Grab Objects" action has been called, and then, doing that action. The code contains both functions to check the keyboard and the touch screen, but the input manager script only checks the current control, not both and the same time, according to if the player is using a PC or an smartphone/tablet.

The powers manager now allows to select which powers can be used, and assign them to every key number. The current power can be selected by pressing the key number in the keyboard, using the wheel mouse, or activating the power selector and rotate the mouse to the desired power.

The terminals and computer has passwords, which can be set in the inspector. The computer can have any text as password, number, words or both, and allow to press space, delete or enter. In a smartphone, the keyboard of both terminals can be using pressind their keys directly in the screen.

Three new powers have been added, one to lock some enemies at the same time, shooting them homing projectiles that destroy them. The second is an implosion grenade which attracts every close rigidbody to the hit impact, and hurts any element with a health component. The last powers allows to change the physics gravity values of the scene, so any regular rigidbody will fall in the new direction. Just press the shoot button and the detected normal will be the new gravity value. Shoot to the ground to set the gravity to its regular value.

There are pick ups, like health and energy. In futures versions, there will be inventory objects and ammo to the weapon mode.

Chest can be created, setting the amount of pickups that has inside it and the value of every pickup, for example 3 health objects which heal the player in 10 units every of them. The chest also can be set to just one use, or if its content is refilled and how much time will take it.

The headbob allows to define new states and its associated shake.

In smartphones/tablets, you can enable or disable the accelerometer option to help to move the camera, by moving the device. It is only used when the player aims or when the player is searching a new surface. It works in a similar way to gravity rush.

In the scanner mode, the second camera allows to see the symbol of an scannable object, and the zoom can be used in this mode also.

To every type of usable device, a text is set in the hud, telling what action it does.

The player now has damage fall, setting the amount of time what the player has to stay in air to start acumulate damage. The fall damage can be disabled,

So finally, I am finishing this update, just some more days and I will upload the new version.

Sorry for the huge post, the huge delay and my (huge xd) bad grammar (I usually explain myself very bad).

Regards.

14. TymNetwork

TymNetwork

I too have been offline and busy.

1st - awesome looking updates. The functionality of 'dial' menu is perfect.

Just waiting for your update !... cheers...

15. sr388

sr388

Ok, don't worry.

Yeah, I really like how the wheel powers works.

Before friday the update will be upload, I can guarantee it.

Muroh likes this.
  16. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Wow this controller looks awesome. You really tried to combine the most important functions to it. I watched the whole 2.0 Feature video and was so happy to see a close combat system also. Great work! I am wondering why I never saw your TPC before... Shame to me!
    I did not test the webdemo but what I am missing and did not saw in the video is:

1. Dodge function / animations like strife or rolling to left, right, back or forward to dodge attacks or spells.
    2. Swimming function and climbing function.
    3. Flying, levitating animations would be great.

Other questions:
    1. Is it possible to turn of wall walking on different walls. So you can say ok in interiors you cant walk on walls but on exteriors you can for example?
    2. Are you using Rootmotion?
    3. How easy it is to change Animations etc? Do you have a wizard for it or do you have to change code? I am working on a fast action game which should have a combat system like Blade and Souls or Tera. So I am pretty sure I will have to do some work on fast animations and reactions.
    4. How does your Controller support other assets like Inventory Pro and Dialogsystem for Unity? Since you are doing lot of inventory / Gui stuff I am just wondering because Invetory Pro will be used in our project for mostly all this stuff.

My focus is more on a good and fast 3rd Person Controller for MMORPGs but I would really like to use your Controller as Third Person Controller for my game because it has so much stuff.

Thanks a lot for your time.
    RonnyDance

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  17. sr388

sr388

SHAME (bell sound).......SHAME (bell sound)......SHAME (bell sound) (Game of thrones reference btw, haha)
    Give the asset some time and it will be known worldwide......maybe...

Anyway, thank you for your opinion, I really want to add any useful option to the asset, so the user only need to worry about make the levels.

1.-I want to make the player can dodge, and strife, just need to find some free animations.
    2.-I started to make test for the climbing some time ago, I need to improved a little more, it something that I wanted to add from the beginning. Swimming would be very cool. My only limitation adding features is the animation. I don't make animations yet, because it take much time to make them realistic.
    3.-Another cool feature that I add to the TODO list, the only problem, animations.

Anyway, I want to start to make animations for future versions, since I use this asset as a way to keep learning more stuff about games.

Other questions:
    1.-The controller is made to walk in any surface, the only different type of surface is to circumnavigate objects and the objects that moves/rotates, to make the player a child of the object. But a way to make this, is adding triggers in the doors, so when the player leaves a room, the gravity control is enabled, and when he enters again, disabled. I will add this option to doors, which is another feature that I already want to add, procedural controlled doors, and physics doors.
    2.-Yes, RootMotion is used, it is controlled by the player controller script, so you can configurate it according to the state animation of the player.
    3.-For now, the animations has to be changed using the animator window. But in a future update, I want to add a system to change easily animations. The animator state is controlled in the player controller script also, so it is easy add new states and values to the animator. The combat system for now it is simple, just drag kick and punch animations to the layer, and the script allow to use them for combos. But I want to improve the close combat system, once the version 2.3 is completed.
    4.-Now that you mention it, I don't make test using the controller with other assets, I will make some soon. But I would say that there shouldn't be problems, because the asset is well organized in folders, inside a main folder in the project and all scripts have a very unique name. But anyway, I will tell you about the tests.

If any answer is not clear, or you have any other question, don't doubt to ask.

Also, I am glad that you consider my asset for your project.

Regards.

TymNetwork and RonnyDance like this.
  18. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Thanks for your fast response.
    It looks to me that you have big plans for this controller and this is awesome.
    You should find free swim, roll and climb animations in this mocap assets: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/search/page=1/sortby=relevance/query=publisher:1217
    You only need to go through the 3 assets and find the right ones. They are pretty huge but you should find something in there. Levitating animation for flying is used in this free asset:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/28647

I just tested the Webdemo and your controller works really good! So good that I want it pretty soon ;)
    Some suggestions:
    - About the Dodge or roll away: If you dont find animations you simple can use the same Spell Effect like when running. So it seems that the player does a teleport or fast movement when dodging. I would do it this way: Pressing "a" twice -> Move 5m to left fast with running effect, pressing "s" twice -> Move 5m to back fast with running effect, the same for "d" and "w". This input combination is also used in the Game "The Secret World" and works pretty good.
    - Right now it's not possible to zoom manually or to change the camera distance like in MMOs right? In WoW etc. you use the Mouse Wheel to zoom in and out manually. You are using the Mouse Wheel for Ability change which is fine also. Are you planing to add manual zoom in any other way? For example pressing mouse wheel and scrolling up / down would do it and you would use inputs perfectly.

Just my 2 Cents. :)
    Any ETA for 2.3? I see last update was in october?

P.S: Para la proxima hablamos español ;)
    Thanks again!
    Ronny

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    sr388 likes this.
  19. sr388

sr388

Yeah, I want to apply to this asset all the knowledge that I can get in games and unity, and I have just started to scratch the surface, like albert wesker said: I AM JUST GETTING STARTED.... You can see a list of future features that will be added, in the main post of this forum, and I have to add even more features to that list.

About the animations, yes, I used to search and use these: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/5330, which belongs to unity itself. To use the other animations, I have to ask to the owner of those asset that you said, if they allow me to use them, something that I will do.

Also, thank you for test the demo, but I am proud the tell you that the controller has been insanely improved in version 2.3, because I have remade almost all the movement, camera and gravity controls, including the ability to move the player when he searchs a surface using the gravity power, a better surface detection with the gravity power, double jump, a better camera collision in aim mode, a very customizable headbob for first person (and also using to shake the camera in third person), a better footstep detection (mesh and terrain textures) and an important simplification of these scripts and much more extensibles.

About the dodge, yeah, that could work very well also. I will add that function to the version 2.4, and check the secret world game, I didn't know that game, and it can give more ideas.

The wheel mouse is used to change the current power (in a future, also weapon). You can press tab to enable and disabled zoom, and left ctrl to move away the camera, to have a better look around the player. But this buttons can be changed in the input menu and the input manager script. I will think to use the wheel to zoom the camera in the way that you said.

Yeah, the last update was in october. I had been a little bussy with the university, using the free time to work in the update. I want to make every version close in time, but this took me a little more because it is quiet big (don't be confused for the number of the version, haha). And now I have a lot of features to add, so I can alwasy release new versions.

The version 2.3 will be upload before friday, just nedd to update the documentation, and checking a couple of scripts, to make sure everything works perfectly. I will post the demo of version 2.3 today, so everyone can try the new features.

And again, thank you for your opinion and feedback, it helps me a lot. Also, don't doubt to make suggestions to add more features.

Regards.

TymNetwork and RonnyDance like this.
  20. sr388

sr388

Ok, finally. Sorry for the delay, I have been trying to fix an issue with the webplayer demo, but it still give me some problems. Nothing related to the asset. I have upload an executable demo for PC and android to mega, here the links:

GTC version 2.3 DEMOS:

PC EXE

Android APK

In PC you can edit the input controls, and save them, When you play again, the new configuration will be loaded. The option to set to default, will reset the controls to the original configuration. Also, if you have doubts about the control scheme, look at the edit input menu, to see all the actions and their key value.

Remember, in the apk demo, you can activate the accelerometer, in the touch options menu. It is disabled for default
    I will add this demos to the main post. To enabled the wheel power to change powers, just hold your finger in the center of the screen for a couple of seconds and move the finger to the power desired. To edit the powers, press two times in the superior left corner of the screen, and move the finger grabing every power. To disable the edit menu, press again two times in the same place.

Hope you like them. Regards.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    RonnyDance likes this.
  21. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Nice. Will test the demo tonight.
    Btw. I edited my post before to explain the dodge a little better. Don't know if you saw that.

By testing the webdemo of 2.0 yesterday I noticed something that could be fixed:
    By pressing G - I am not sure which key anymore but it was the key for switching from Third Person to Ego perspective where the character disappears - the character disappears before the camera is on the first person person position. This looks a little bit weird. You should the character fade out not disappear directly or let the character disappear after the camera is on first person position.

I was also able to read some post in this thread yesterday in the evening and I can agree to some suggestions of the users:
    - It would be great if you could made all the gravity functionalities also the gravity combat optional. Lot of people like me are not working on a scien-fi game more on a medieval / fantasy game. So I will not use (all) of the gravity combat functions or flying through air by turning off gravity etc. Wall walking is an important thing in my opinion same as a fly functionality like "swimming" through air. A simple Wizard after importing your asset asking what should be activated or a Settings Windows where you simple can active functions would be good.
    - Your controller looks so nice and has so much potential that perhaps you should also focus on different combat styles to make it more a (All in One) Combat Controller with an unique Gravity feature. What I mean here is that right now you have gravity combat and some base meele combat with combo option and a lot of smaller scien-fi specific features like hacking etc. I would focus more on essential Thrird Person Controller combat features like additional combat styles: Sword Conbat, Bow Arrow Combat, Riffle Combat, Blocking with Hands / Shields etc. This would make your Controller a big alternative to the TPCs like the one of Opsive, Ooti, Invector etc. And like you know competition is good for business.
    - Make the Combat System responsive and fast. This is a big open point in all combat systems in the asset stores. Make it easy to configure responsivenes, animation controlling etc.
    - If you have problems with animations the three mocaps assets of cMonkeys I send to you can be used without asking the creator, of course you can do it anyway to be sure. They also just downloaded the MoCaps from an open source University Library and combined them as unity assets.
    - And last but not least like someone said before: Made the Controller as an asset package which can be imported without creating a new project because of project settings. This is often a no go for a lot of people who need to create a new project to import your controller project first to not get any erros. But as I understood you are alreay working on it?

Muchas gracias!
    Ronny

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  22. sr388

sr388

Yes, I saw the explanation. Thanks.

Yeah, the model dissapears before the camera reachs its first person position, to avoid see throught the model. I wanted to use a shader which allows to change the alpha color from full opaque, to full transparent, but I don't find it. Other shaders of unity change all the material, not allowing a full transition from normal look to transparent. I have tried to make a shader myself, but I don't know enough about it yet. In MGSV you can see this effect when the camera is close enogh to the character.
    Sin título.png

Yes, I want to add an editor script, a wizard window or similar, to enable or disable these function in any moment, so every user could use only what he needs. I will try to add it in the version 2.3.

I like the last phrase. You are very right, my initial intention was made the features in a sci-fi way, but I realised that it would be much better add more type of options. One of the first that I want to add in version 2.4 is one that you have said, weapons, to be used instead of hands, so every power would be use by a weapon. I didn't think about add swords of bows options, but it could be a very cool feature. so yeah, I will add that type of combat options.

-I am very agree. In version 2.4 I want to improve the combat system. Maybe, even add final moves by pressing the buttons in order.
    -I didn't remember that about those animations. I will check which of them can be useful.
    -Yeah, that it is something that annoys me. Sometimes, I still don't know exactly how unity imports project settings. I even use a custom editor to export the full project, when I want to make test in unity 5, without upgrading the project. I even try to not create layers and tags, so no projects settings would be neccessary, since they are the only settings that I make in the asset, but sometimes there is not choice.
    An option would be change the type of asset, instead of complete project. So if I change it to Scripting for example, project settings won't be imported? Then, what happens with the layers and tags?
    I tried to make an editor to create new layers and tags, and assign them to the correct objects, but I think that it has to be a more simple and easier way.

And of course, thank you for all your very good suggestions, they are very interesting.

Saludos.

23. hopeful

hopeful

If I'm understanding you correctly, can you use the standard shader, set to Fade (instead of Opaque), and then perform the fade out by reducing the alpha to zero on the albedo texture?

24. sr388

sr388

I have tried it, and it happens the same than in unity 4, the textures are almost not visible.
    Captura.PNG
    I fade out the meshes of the turrets when they are destroyed, setting a transparent shader and changing the alpha value, and it is not a big deal, since the change of shader it is almost inappreciable. But with the player is very visible, so that it is why I wanted to get a good shader that allow to change the alpha value like the above photo of metal gear.

That is the reason why the player is disabled with the change of camera, and not faded.

25. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I'm curious if this would be a good fit for controlling insects that scale walls and ceilings, but always have a normal gravity otherwise...

26. sr388

sr388

Humm, it could be configurated, so the insect rotates towards the surface, but it it falls or jumps, its gravity backs to the regular state. It is easy to achieve. One of the type of enemies that I want to add is a robot spider that can climb, but that it can fall to the ground.

27. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

That'd be cool to see in action! I'll keep an eye out for updates.

28. hopeful

hopeful

Hmm. When I set a character to Fade using the standard shader, they completely disappear, so far as I can tell. Even the shadow fades and disappears.

I suppose it's not that important, but I wonder what the difference is? (Unity 5.3.1f1, Windows 8.1, deferred / linear)

29. sr388

sr388

No, sorry, maybe I don't explain properly. I can fade the materials to turn them invisible. The only problem is to get a shader that can be from full opaque to invisible, without making the materials look weird.

30. hopeful

hopeful

Oh ... I think I see what you mean. To me, that's not really a problem. :)

31. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Hola sr388,
    some feedback to the 2.3 PC Demo.

- It should be possible to change the Mouse Sensitive in game. I did not see any way to decrease the mouse sensitive.
    - If you run using shift you notice that the character runs slower when you turn the character to left or right with the mouse. If you run forward using w the character is pretty fast. If you move the mouse now a little to left or right you notice that the character runs slower. This should be kept similar to forward running I suppose.
    - Running and double jump let's you get your character pretty far. Perhaps the meters should be decreased. Double jumping lets you go faster to different locations than running. This remembers me of Bunny Jumping in CS ;)

I am just waiting until you get the options menu in for selecting which features should be enabled, and fix the importing project stuff. I really would like to help you regarding importing the asset as non full project but I since I never did this I can't :(

Keep up the good work!

sr388 likes this.
  32. sr388

sr388

Hi Ronny, thanks for your feedback.

-Yeah, I want to add a menu option to change the mouse sensitive and touch joysticks in game. I will add them for this update.
    -The character runs like that due to the animations that uses. The character use 3 animations to move forwards: runForward, runToLeft and runToRight. When the camera is rotated the side animations are interpolated in the mecanim according to the value of mouse movement. That is the cause, according to the mouse movement to left or right, the rotation of the player are more or less closed.
    -The amount of jump that the player can do can be configurated in the playerController inspector, so you can get the value that you need. Also the double jump can be enabled and disabled.

And of course, I will add the option to enable and disable features in this update.
    About the project settings, I have to check if there is a way to combine this settings instead of overwrite them or similar. I really can't remove the layers and tags that the asset uses, but I will try other ways.

Also, once this features are added, I will upload again demos with these features and some fixes and improvements that I already made.

Regards.

RonnyDance likes this.
  33. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

I think you don't need to remove your Layers. It's just the way how the asset is imported to existing projects. Opsive TPC same to Ootii TPC are doing it without problems.

About the jump. I myself would add an energy bar something like that which will decrease everytime you use dodge or double jump. This let's you doo 3-4 dodge or double jumps imidiatly but after that you have wait so energy can increse again. Something like one dodge or double jump costs 25 energie from 100 max. Means 4 dodges or double jumps in a certain timespan.

Did you try to use other free characters? For example MSC Characters? Free Version here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/45808
    It would be pretty interesting to see if MCS Chars are working without problems because some TPCs do have problem with them.

A supported Asset list in the future would also be really good to let people know that your TPC has no problems with specific assets and works like a charm with them.

Cheers
    Ronny

34. hopeful

hopeful

I don't think he means that there is a problem with Gravity Twist using layers and tabs. It's just that if the plugin is to be taken out of the Complete Projects category, there needs to be a simple way for the user to set the layers and tabs to values that will cooperate with other plugins that may exist in the user's project.

RonnyDance likes this.
  35. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Now that you mention it. True story @hopeful

36. sr388

sr388

I think that those assets don't have problems wiht the project settings due to they are not in the Complete Projects category, and the user hopeful said that changing this category, the problem with the settings would be fixed. So maybe I will change the category of the asset for this update.

I have just finished the menu to enable/disable features. I think it looks fine, and works pretty good. Here a capture of how it looks:
    Captura.PNG

Just select the features that you need and press Set Configuration. The option Get Current Configuration is for check what features are enabled, to set every bool parameter correctly.

So, you say to use the energy power bar as a stamina bar for jumps and dodges also? It could be cool like that. I will add that too.

About test other characters, yes. I have tried some of them, and they don't used to give problems, the build player option works very well. Anyway I will make more test with some more characters like for example MSC, before I upload the update.

I didn't think to make a list with compatible assets before, but definitely it is something that I will make, adding a section in the main post. Also, anyone who owns this controller can tell in this forum, if they have tried this asset with other and if there was any problem with it, or worked perfectly.

RonnyDance likes this.
  37. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Nice, really nice! Thats exactly what i meant.
    In the future you can create drop down tabs or Buttons which will open the options for exactly a specific point, so the window will not get too long in the future. Clicking on Power Features will drop down the list of the power features that can be checked etc. Also some mouseover over the different features will make it really user friendly so everybody knows what Gravity Power or Use Accelorator means for example.
    Its always important to make everything so small and user friendly as possible because lot of people will also complain about "Ahh to many features, too complicated, don't know what to do etc".

About supported assets: Take a look to Inventory Pro, Dialog System for Unity. This are often Assets which people will use togehter with TPCs. You also see how they add a list of supported Assets in the Assetstore and also in the Forums. This makes people more relaxed using your asset because they know it will work with essential assets they are already using.

Already love your fast updates. It's honorable how fast you add user recommendations.
    Can't wait to see your update hitting the floor!

38. sr388

sr388

I am going to add every feature in a serializable class for every type of script, so the window stills clear and not too big.
    MouseOver or a little description inside every class would be cool, with a short description.
    I started to work in make the asset as extensible and configurated as possible in this update, due to the increase of features that has been added, and also taking in account futures additions.

Yeah, I will make a list of compatible assets, and also ask to any who has these kind of assets and mine, that tell me if they tried both systems together.

And thanks for your opinion. I always take very seriously any suggestion. ALWAYS, haha.
    Me too, hopefully I think that it will be finished before sunday.

Hopeful, if I remember correctly, changing the category of the asset will make the projects settings won't be overwritten, right? But then, the layers and tags are lost?

EDIT:

I have just added the mouse sensitivity option in the edit input menu, the regular value is 1, so a lower value slows the mouse movement with the camera and a higher value increase it:
    Captura2.PNG

And the features manager now use classes and more options, here a capture:
    Captura.PNG

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    hopeful and RonnyDance like this.
  39. hopeful

hopeful

When you have a plugin in the Complete Projects category, it puts the plugin's project settings files into the asset package. So when a user imports the whole plugin, it overwrites their own project settings files.

If you move the plugin to a different category, like Scripting, then this doesn't happen.

If you don't overwrite the project settings files, the layers and tags that the plugin uses are not set up, but they won't show up as errors, either. So if the scripts are using layer 9 for something, layer 9 won't be labeled, but it will still be used, and any demo will still work. (Or at least I think that's how this goes. Pretty sure.)

However, a lot of plugins are set up to use various layers and tags, and this leads to conflicts when they are using the same ones. Most start using the layers numbered after the Unity layers, and most use tags like "Player," and so on, so there's lots of potential for conflict and confusion. I believe it is best if a plugin helps the user name / assign / organize the layers and tags that the plugin is going to use, so they can coordinate it with the layers and tags other plugins use.

What's bad is when you know the plugin is using layers and tags, but you don't know which ones or where all you need to go to change them. ;)

40. sr388

sr388

When you say plugin, you mean the asset, right? Yeah, I know that the lost of layers/tags won't produce errors in the code,only when the code that uses them is triggered. So I deduce that there is not a "good" way to keep these settings in the project.

I thought about a way to create the layers/tags with code, but even like this, it is imposible to assign them to the objects that use them in the scene and the prefabs, so the user would have to assign them one by one, which is impossible also.

41. hopeful

hopeful

Does it become possible if you have something like a manager object in the hierarchy where the player can set the levels and so forth for the asset, and the asset knows to look there for the proper settings?

42. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Is it possible to deactive your UI also? Map, User Health etc?
    Using Inventory Pro comes already with a complete UI Design which I would use.

"So, you say to use the energy power bar as a stamina bar for jumps and dodges also? It could be cool like that. I will add that too."

Aww this would be totally awesome! For double jumping and dodging only of course. Normal jump is just fine.

Cheers
    Ronny

43. sr388

sr388

Sorry, I don't know if I undertand you correctly. Do you mean a scene manager who check every object in the current scene to set every object in his correct layer and tag?
    Yeah, I have added more features to the features manager that when I posted the first capture, like the radar and menus, so everyone can use their own UI systems.

44. TymNetwork

TymNetwork

Wow, I missed a lot here..

AGAIN...DO NOT DO THE WORK FOR EVERYONE ELSE!
    sorry for yelling as usual.

Albert E did work for many people so I guess your on the right path, but don't let new users to UNITY
    dictate what you should add into this asset. They must BUY OTHER assets or LEARN CODE...

I have 5 years working behind Unity3d and learn new direction for game design daily.

What I learned is:
    People that don't want to do the work themselves make others do it.

I am happy to pay DOUBLE for this asset when you update my 2.0 version. In fact, PLAN on
    getting paid for your detailed work BY ME a TRUE SUPPORTER . ( period ) :)

Funny, all the "requests" for you to add and adjust things are simple enough or easily added into the project by other assets. And, if the assets are conflicting, you can always break out MonoScript or Notepad and edit the Javascript or Csharp scripts or use Unity3d program manuals online to become a real game designer.

I just hope you don't get taken advantage of around here. I have seen it done for years by people in Unity design.

Beware, I am aware.

Can't wait for your update.
    Peace.

sr388 likes this.
  45. sr388

sr388

Don't worry. Most of the suggestions are very reasonable, and I didn't even think about it until I read them. Also their adittion to the asset ussually don't take me much time, in other case I add to the todo list for the next version. I use to spend most of the time in adding new features and improve the already added.

Regards.

Muroh and TymNetwork like this.
  46. hopeful

hopeful

I don't know exactly how you would go about doing it, sorry. I know a lot of plugins use a manager object, not sure if it would be helpful here. IIRC, with other plugins they have a default layer number exposed in the inspector, and the user changes it to whatever layer they are using. I'm not sure why you can't do that, so I was trying to just throw an idea out there. ;)

(But do not take any coding advice from me, as I'm not a very experienced coder.)

47. TymNetwork

TymNetwork

Keep doing what your doing.

If your update is TOO COOL and the "unlearned" (aka lazy) people find that it cuts corners for them, it will be shared like wildfire. Once its out there, its copied like mad and shared around the world in seconds.

I am working on an asset security idea that will STOP assets from being shared after download.
    Simple concept, but the integration of asset and administration is a big step.

sr388 likes this.
  48. TymNetwork

TymNetwork

In my opinion, the support should come AFTER the update is out, not before.
    But don't stop being a helpful person. 2.0 is keeping me busy as it is.

The outside world should not interfere with the authors/artists
    creating process by demanding things be made their way.

Hey public:
    LET THE MAN WORK !!

Business takes place after the customer has the product and is using it correctly.
    Customizing things is a SPECIAL TASK and is worth PAYMENT !! !!
    ((funny how no one has money, but they have demands ))

Think of this asset as a complete project, if its NOT complete enough for you, LEARN STUFF!!

*note. there is not ONE other Unity 3D asset in the store that I am proud to support.
    The above comment is true, because I have run into problems with EVERY
    other "Complete Project" asset I bought besides this one, and the support is above the expected.

Takes a good product for me to get so involved in...LOL!

TYM THE TRAVELER

sr388 likes this.
  49. hopeful

hopeful

I guess - in light of the above - I should add that if it is proving too difficult to provide a means for the user to switch the layers and tags, then don't do it, and just leave the asset in the Complete Projects category.

RonnyDance likes this.
  50. TymNetwork

TymNetwork

My main concern was that the more we ask of him before version 3 is even out, just slows his development.

We could always start a forum/thread that asks HOW to adjust the layers and tags after we all have paid for it.

If all the customers came together in a small 'brain storming' group,
    we could relay to the author these issues and give feedback as we use it.

I am all for helping others as well as the creators of assets I use.

Working on a few simple assets myself, but they will aid in streamlining production
    and save developers time while protecting the work from pirates.
    As I need these functions also.

Making things simple and error free is always a goal.
    Just make a list of the things you want changed or explained, and each new version may address and fix any issues.

sr388 likes this.