Search Unity

50% OFF Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.6%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

29.9%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.1%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.1%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.3%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.4%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.7%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.5%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.7%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. neodotca

neodotca

Like Martin Luther King once said...

"i have a dream... one day... error messages will be written in a language that everybody can understand" :confused:

Tried to build with just (GKC 2.3.8a) alone and same result, thanks!
    Unity: 2017.2.0f3
    GKC: v2.3.6b

2. sr388

sr388

hahaha, me too.

I would recommend you to use the a lower version of unity 2017 like 2017.1 or lower (you can have different versions of unity installed in the same PC), since 2017.2 is a beta version and some people have reported issues with it (for now gkc is being uploaded from unity 5.3 but soon, it will be 5.6 and at some point, the asset will start with 2017).

3. neodotca

neodotca

Yes that something that i will
    Yes, installing an older version is something that i will consider very soon, but i was able to build for Mac with no problem, the problem seems to come from windows, thanks anyways!

4. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Built a new character from scratch and attached the code, still wont work? when i try to move the cursor it jitters a bit but not far from center.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  5. sr388

sr388

What version of gkc are you using? Do devices like computer or code terminal or examinate objects work correctly? It is the same code used on them to hide and show the cursor.

Do you have more content on that project or only the asset? In you have only the asset, can you send a link by gmail to take a look and see where is the issue?

6. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Also sr, curious as to possibility of a character selector. To allow selection from a bunch of characters to play the game with. So could have a pure shooter character(without powers), a second character with powers and another that's a mix of both and also to have them in both genders(male and female characters).

7. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Using the latest, with the patch. I tried using devices and it works for vehicles and turrets but wont let me use the heal chamber? But when i tried using the readable object it kinda worked. the cursor was froze(cant use the mouse) but was controllable with the WASD keys. Also when i hold the left mouse button and move it rotates. Can work with that for now, thanks man :)

I just didnt have the controls right, will play around and see if i can get it working the way i like it

8. sr388

sr388

I haven't thought about it before, but doesn't sound bad. I have planed to add options for the character creator to select the player abilities, like if he can fly, use gravity system, has powers, or weapons, etc... so it is created with these values configured, avoiding to configure this component after.

So a system to save these settings (including the model selected) or create prefabs itself shouldn't be difficult. I will add it to the todo list. This will come handy also when the multiplayer is made, to create different types of players.

Do you mean that you have the asset in a previous version and you update it with the last version of the asset, right? Maybe this could create some problem if the scripts are not overwritten correctly, maybe that could be the problem (sometime updates are a pain in the ass). Btw, what version of unity are you using?

About the frozen cursor, It is weird that something like that happens, I would say that the problem is some script which is from the previous version and it could be the cause of the problem with the mouse.

Btw, I have another part of the new doc almost finished, I will post here in some minutes. It contains the part of the Input Manager.

Regards.

9. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

So a good idea to re-import or should i delete the GKC folder completely and download a clean download?

NB - using unity 2017.2.0f3 and cursor isn't frozen as such, it's just only controllable with the W, A, S, D keys

10. sr388

sr388

Yeah, if you haven't changed scripts, component, or modified prefabs, I would suggest to remove that folder and import the last version on it (or if you have made little changes, applied to them again once you import the new version).

Also, (if I am not wrong) unity 2017.2 stills in beta state (though there is already a .3 version), but I would suggest to use a lower version of 2017, to avoid any kind of problems with this or any other asset.

Tell me if you test it.

Regards.

tgamorris76 likes this.
  11. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Installed it rom the site, it's current not beta. Will re-download GKC :)

12. hopeful

hopeful

Nope, 2017.2 is the official most recent version, released Oct 12.

2017.3 is in beta, and it is targeted for release this month (though I could see with the holidays it might realistically slide to January).

tgamorris76 likes this.
  13. neodotca

neodotca

Downgrading to Unity 2017.1 did fix my problem, thanks so much dev!

When downgrading to 2017.1, i received an alert, warning me to upgrade to the 2017.2 version for security reasons, i will not... of course.

But i would like to know something, unless you have a good reason, i don't see the point of using an older version of Unity to develop GKC, if 2017.2 is a stable version.

14. sr388

sr388

Nice.
    Yeah, I wasn't sure about the current version (they are making them very fast xd). Thanks for the clarification.

Happy to hear that the problem was resolved.

I wanted to wait for the most stable version of 2017.

For the next update, the initial version will be 5.6 (to start to use the AI with the new navmesh system) and after that, 2017 will be development version (and check new features of it which could be useful for the asset) ;)

Btw, here the new doc version that I said. I am making it slower that I would like, but I will try to be as quick as possible to complete it (it is allowing me to make test on every system and make little improvements in a few inspectors).

New documentation Version

Regards.

tgamorris76 and YucelBrendel like this.
  15. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

I found some of my scripts didn't work properly until after i restart unity. There a way of refreshing them after u create one?
    Also script is working fine now, camera pauses, character control is disabled, and the mouse is free and working fine :) thank you sr388

Not sure what i did but i think i broke it, it's gone back to freezing again :( cursor will only move when using WASD to control it

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  16. sr388

sr388

Haha, I remember to read this message today before go to sleep, and I smiled to see everything worked. But now I see the edited version and now I am like.....NOOOOOOOO (darth vader meme).

Did anything change in the project? Can you try that script in an empty project and importing gkc on it?

About the scripts, I think that it could be related to monodevelop. At least, in unity 5.3, monodevelop fails a lot (more than any previous version that I have used), so soon, I will start to use Visual studio for programming.

17. h00man

h00man

hey sr388,
    i'm back with my wired head bone problem.
    currently i'm using version 2.3.8.a
    and i downloaded some humanoid rigged characters from free web sites .i also downloaded characters from mixamo.
    and build them with your character builder feature.
    every things working except for weird head bone or maybe neck bone behaviour while driving on hover board.could you please test one of the mixmao's characters and see if the results are the same as mine?(by the way i only need a character on hover board not the other vehicles).
    i showed the issue in the following image.
    his head is just stuck to look downward
    and none of the ik handles can rotate it
    thanks

18. sr388

sr388

Hi h00man.

I am checking the code in the hoverboard, to get a global rotation of the head, no matter the head bone orientation (which is different sometimes), so it can work properly with any model just by placing a transform as a position to look.

I will be back in a few minutes.

Regards.

19. h00man

h00man

thanks for your support man.

20. sr388

sr388

Ok, I have made some changes in the hoverboard.

Now there is an option to configure a head position to look (along with the option to look, which only uses a direction, according to the type of vehicle, you could need one option or other).

In the hoverboard there is a pivot which rotates according to the vehicle movement direction (respond directly from input), to make the player looks forward or backward properly. Here the settings for this (this will allow to select the correct bone in the model, no matter which is):

upload_2017-12-5_21-28-15.png
    Here a gif (the grey ball shows the position where the player head looks):

head4.gif

Also, notice that if the backward velocity of the vehicle is lower that the configured above, the player will look forward

Anyway, like I said some weeks ago, the IK in vehicles will be improved, to make a better driving sensation (shaking the player inside with every movement of the vehicle, making the player head to look forward or backward according to the vehicle direction, etc....part of this system is used in the hoverboard). Like in this gif (in case you didn't see previously), from this message: https://forum.unity.com/threads/gam...sed-features-poll.351456/page-16#post-3277442

giphy.gif

@h00man send me a private message if you want the project with these settings (the current update is not ready yet, I need a few more days to have it ready)

Regards.

Wetw0rx and neodotca like this.
  21. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Works fine in a clean project, must be something im doing wrong :(

22. neodotca

neodotca

Don't worry, the dialogue system is coming soon!

tgamorris76 and Wetw0rx like this.
  23. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

Amazing progress being made on the asset! Been a little busy but I've come back to see all these great features being discussed and implemented. Awesome.

Picked up a few assets during this massive sale. Looking forward to seeing how they vibe with gkc. I've restarted my project since it got a bit messy last time lol. I'm having great success with the hoverbikes and it makes me think of the racing system. But without getting ahead of ourselves, I do agree with neodotca about stabilizing the core features.

Currently, the AI doesn't shoot very accurately. Tweaking their behavioral parameters and values has lead to some strange results. Glad to see AI is being worked on. I would like to have longer range shoot outs with AI that stays back and shoots from farther away and even from above or below the player. Also turrets that can shoot at aircraft. I think most of these issues will improve with the new navmesh system.

Hey tgamorris76, I'm doing the same thing for scene changes. However this only allows for one scene door or trigger per scene and no persistence between scenes. Some kind of system to apply changes to the player (location, inventory, quest status, etc) would be perfect. Activating a scene loading door could prompt the scene manager to record scene stats, player status and set target location for the next scene. This info could later be applied to the player on scene load and could be tied to the save/load system and quest system for efficiency and simplicity (hopefully). There are assets that do this but it would be nice to have it all under one roof so to speak.

Once again, great job sr388

neodotca and sr388 like this.
  24. sr388

sr388

Mmmmm, I would say that something that you have already in the other project is messing with the cursor, maybe a function that is updated every frame and it is locking the cursor in some specific cases. Maybe you could make a search in the code of that project with the word "cursor" (notepad++ is very good to check all the content of folders to search a word in every file, in a few seconds you will find all the references).

Thanks for the comment, Wetw0rx.

Of course, the main (and only) objetive for now, is complete the documentation and fixing any remaining bug or issue. After that, I will start with the system from the forum poll.

Yeah, the AI needs some work yet, like you said, it needs some polish and more range options, make a system to define factions, make them able to change the combat mode if they are out of ammo, or find the closest weapon to keep shooting, more type of orders, etc... And also, try the new navmesh from unity 5.6 and make them able to follow in any surface. Don't worry, I have that covered ;)

That is exactly what is planned to do, the new save system will take care of the persistance throught scenes and loads, saving all the stats necessary from player, inventory, weapons, vehicles, etc....and keep those objetcs between scenes. Can't wait to work on all of this.

Regards.

neodotca likes this.
  25. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

I'm using a number of assets to kinda work around most of that

First - plyGame
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/9694

2 - Gamekit controller(lol)

3 - trying to integrate AI Designer Pro for combat AI also for background(fauna and pedestrains)

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/80294

4 - using Morph3D for most of my characters. You can create clothes and armor pieces etc for the MCS system using their SDK and add them to content packs which is quite handy :)

plyGame comes with a visual scripting tool that has most common feature/functions as blocks. It also has a module for WYSIWIG design of screens and GUI elements, a dialogue and quest engine(with persistence)and faction's.

Just got everything talking and with a little help(big help with making a gamekit with such an amazing feature set) from sr388(thanks sr) I now have plyGame and GKC talking to each other. I'm holding out on integrating AI designer pro with the gamekit for now but because its a dedicated AI solution I'm sure i will end up using it for a lot of background stuff.

sr388 likes this.
  26. h00man

h00man

woooow, that is perfect
    i think that will do the trick.
    i sent you a message on which script should i change

27. h00man

h00man

this guy ---sr388--- totally a genius.trust me:)
    his solution for my mixmao character worked perfectly.

YucelBrendel and sr388 like this.
  28. neodotca

neodotca

I've been testing the latest version of GKC (alone, with no other assets in the project) for a few minutes and found a few bugs, there could be more as i was just testing interactions between the player and the AI's.

- The body of the player sometimes is aiming with weapons, on the right side and not straight in front.

- The rocket Launcher can only fire when aiming at enemies, you cannot shoot on an object or on walls for example.

- An old bug, but happening less frequently, the player gets killed and the rag doll spins like crazy. :confused:

- There's a white circle icon that appears on objects when the player aim at them.

- The Ai's are sometimes walking/running on the spot when blocked by the player or any other object.

Do you have an idea of when will be the next update, i want to update my controller, but only when most bugs will be gone.

29. sr388

sr388

I am not sure what you mean here, can you tell more?

It is configured in the player weapon system inspector like a homing weapon (all player's weapons use literally the same script), just disable this option and it will fire like a regular launcher. Here the option:

upload_2017-12-7_20-41-4.png

Yeah, I have to check that, it could be some collider not correctly disabled when the ragdoll is enabled, or not ignoring the ragdoll itself.

That is the aim assist, you can disable it (or only the icon) in the player camera inspector. Here:

upload_2017-12-7_20-38-49.png

The AI stills in development, there is work to do on it yet, but it will be much more improved, you can be sure.

I am focusing in the doc right now (along with little improvements in any inspector for a better use) and remove any remaining bug.

I don't have a fixed date yet, but maybe for the end of the year could be ready (I want to finish the full doc first, uploading every new version here).

That is a very interesting combination of assets, and sounds like a good workflow. Cool.

Thanks men, like I said, I will use an update to check most used type of models, like mixamo, mcs and more...

Regards.

neodotca likes this.
  30. neodotca

neodotca

I was not able to reproduce this one, (the player aiming at the right), so that is a good news, i will take a screenshot if it happens again.
    Oops! sorry, didn't know about these new features.

I might update with this version, look pretty stable, good work man!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    sr388 likes this.
  31. UnSkiLd

UnSkiLd

Hello sr and group. I have been using this Asset for about a week now in my current project. I appreciate the work you are putting into this and the features presented cover 90% of the features I am implementing into my game.

I do have a question on AI and trying to determine if I should get rid of the current AI system I have (for my pedestrians) or keep the current AI system for the pedestrians and use your AI system for the bad guys only. However, I went into the demo scene in your Asset and viewed how you did the AI there. I noticed that the AI's have camera's attached, and the 'unarmed AI' have weapons still attached and the scripts. Are these needed still if the weapons are not going to be used or a camera needed? I will interact with the AI - frisking the citizens and arresting them - enemy AI I will fight/shoot/arrest them. I do not believe I need camera's attached to them or anything.

Also, although the features are great to have. If I want to get rid the 'Powers', for instance, do I just disable the script that is ran from the editor (uncheck the box) or is there a formal way of removing features?

Hope this made sense. Again, this is the best Asset I have purchased and used in a long time and I look forward to the improvements and added features.

tgamorris76 likes this.
  32. sr388

sr388

Hi @UnSkiLd.

Thanks to you for your purchase and interest in the asset.

The AI stills in development, the last big update changed the system for AI, and now it uses the same components that the player has (with a couple more for nav mesh navigation and target management), with an option to set if the controller is a player or an AI. Like this any improvement, addition, option (or fix) for player, will be avaliable for the AI aswell (humanoid one).

About the cameras, they are used for weapons, so the AI use it to aim for their target (like the same way the player rotates and moves toward camera direction when he aims), and the same way for combat, so the camera directions is part of the input that the AI obtains to move and do actions. Of course the camera component is always disabled and the code itself is paused if the AI is not aiming or looking to any target, for a better performance.

About the powers, you can enable/disable its values in otherPowers inspector, in Settings. Here:

upload_2017-12-8_17-47-36.png

All of this will be explained with more detail in the doc which is in process (you can find the last version in the main post of this forum.

Tell me if this solves your question or any further doubt.

Regards.

tgamorris76 likes this.
  33. UnSkiLd

UnSkiLd

Thank you for the quick reply and answer. This does better my understanding on how things work and was able to accomplish what I needed.

tgamorris76 and sr388 like this.
  34. sr388

sr388

Happy to hear that.

Oh, btw, I forgot to tell another reason for cameras on AI (I have said other times in the forum, but just in case), it will allow to have a player ability to posses any npc, so it will be controlled as the current player (the previous player will hidden in the scene, like he is actually inside the npc, all the player components will be disabled and the camera will change from the player to the npc, it will be similar to vehicles, but this time, you "drive" another npc).

Another option will be to control them from distance, with the actual player in the place where he was, where he is vulnerable to others enemies.

So you can use it in a similar way to dishonored (or mario oddisey), to kill other enemies without being noticed, sneeking in any place, giving orders to the enemy AI, etc....it will have a lot of options and modes (I want to play dishonored 2 to get more ideas for more type of powers/abilities and use of possessed characters.

Also, this will allow to change between different characters in a gta v style.

Regards.

35. dvr7

dvr7

Is VR support planned?

neodotca likes this.
  36. sr388

sr388

Do you mean HTC vive and oculus rift? I would like include support for them, unfortunately, I haven't any VR devices to work with.

I think there are some ways to emulate them, to being able to test it and add the parts necessary to use it, so maybe in a future, I could try that.

Regards.

neodotca likes this.
  37. neodotca

neodotca

I just updated the GKC, directly overwriting from the asset store, and getting 3 errors, could it be related to the Unity version again? Should i try another way to update?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Assets/Game Kit Controller/Scripts/AI/AICharacterController.cs(76,30): error CS1061: Type `AINavMesh.AIMoveInfo' does not contain a definition for `currentLookPosition' and no extension method `currentLookPosition' of type `AINavMesh.AIMoveInfo' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Assets/Game Kit Controller/Scripts/AI/AIWeaponSystem.cs(123,54): error CS1061: Type `playerWeaponBullet' does not contain a definition for `getWeaponInfo' and no extension method `getWeaponInfo' of type `playerWeaponBullet' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Assets/Game Kit Controller/Scripts/AI/AIWeaponSystem.cs(126,55): error CS1061: Type `playerWeaponBullet' does not contain a definition for `getGrenadeInfo' and no extension method `getGrenadeInfo' of type `playerWeaponBullet' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

38. sr388

sr388

Those 3 scripts of AI (AICharacterController, AIWeaponSystem, AIWeaponSystem) don't exist anymore, the AI uses the same components than the player does. Remove them from the project and it should work.

Regards.

neodotca likes this.
  39. dvr7

dvr7

I understand getting these devices can be a significant investment, but in case you are still planning, a good start can be with Unity's VR Samples project here (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/?#!/content/51519), and I believe they can be run on cardboard devices as well

Edit: apparently, from comments, it do not work with cardboard; and need at least a gear VR, but still a good starting point in any VR related work if being planned.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    sr388 and neodotca like this.
  40. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Hey sr388, is it possible to make the slow speed setting on the aircraft a toggle as opposed to having to hold the key down?

41. neodotca

neodotca

Thank you!

sr388 likes this.
  42. sr388

sr388

Yeah, in fact, I want to check that unity VR samples, and see how it works (I checked very quickly before, but I want to do it again). I like VR and I want to try it with the asset (curious if the gravity system can dizzy xd).

I also thought about buy a gear VR (even develope some type of game for it), though I think that the cheapest device to use it, it is the galaxy s7 (tell me if I am wrong) and it stills having a considerable price.

But one of my main porpuses with this asset is to work in every aspect of a game, and VR it is included on that, so if one day I can get a VR kit for a low price or I can get one borrowed, I will work on it.

Do you mean if you press it, the speed go to its minimun value and if you press again, it goes to its maximum? Sure, it is quick to add.

Nice.

Regards.

tgamorris76 and neodotca like this.
  43. dvr7

dvr7

Not sure where you are located, but you should be able to pickup a used Rift DK2 off ebay pretty cheap.

Besides there are some youtube articles (here is one for example) explaining how to use cardboard with unity vr examples. Cardboard viewers can be picked off ebay for next to nothing, which should work with any decent android phone

44. neodotca

neodotca

I am looking for people to create puzzles for my game. I already did a few puzzles, but it's mostly basic, this is why i need someone to create more complex ones.

My game is an action/adventure/escape the room type, so i need many different, original and fun to resolve puzzles to basically open a door with a code number or a key/key card, mechanism, that kind of stuff. The player usually needs to accomplish a few steps before being able to open the door.

If you already own the excellent GKC, it will be easier to integrate in my game, contact me if you are interested, we can negotiate something.

www.neo.ca
    neo@neo.ca

45. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Would be even nicer if it was an option in inspector ;)

Also quick question about the door system, does it respond to any collider or is it just the player?... I have a pedestrain system for background NPC's and the just walk through walls when the come up to the door. would be nice if it opened when they walk up to it. I'm using the GKC door system. I tried using a capsule collider but doors don't open

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  46. sr388

sr388

I am from Spain. Of course, definitely VR is something that I want to try, with htc vive, gear vr, cardboard, ....any kind of system, no matter if it is from second (or third) hand, but someday, it will be added.

Cool. There is some more puzzles and mechanics planned to add (I am getting some ideas from breath of the wild).

That is the idea, as much customization in the inspector as possible, avoiding any need of coding.

Now that you mention, the doors only check for player's tag, but I will add a configurable list of tags, so doors can be opened for any kind of object. Added to the todo list (along with any other system that could need this list) ;)

Regards.

neodotca likes this.
  47. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Just a quick update. I have been making general improvements to some systems and adding some more options on some custom inspector. Here the current list:
    • Gamepad buttons configured are now save/load in editor and in game
    • Now the touch button to being disabled is selected with a list of the current axes list configured
    • Input action list for vehicles now has the same axes list configured in the input manager
    • Locked camera check if the player is carrying weapons or not when enters trigger and check if it was first person or not
    • Head look rotation and position improved in vehicles
    • Grab objects in locked camera improved with tag layer options and cursor placement correctly done
    • Gravity triggers simplified and with more options
    • Tag list added for doors and hologram doors to detect objets to be opened
    • Custom Inspector added to door system
    • Now chest can be locked or unlocked
    And also, a padlock system which can have any number of wheels, and any amount of numbers per wheel (by default 10). Like the access terminals, it can send a message to any object, so it can be used to unlock doors, chest, anything.... I made it like in a hour, to take a break from other stuff. Here a gif:

Animation2.gif

This update will be ready very soon and most of the new content belong to these improvements, some little issues fixed and similar stuff. So it will be one of the most stable version yet.

Regards.

tgamorris76 and neodotca like this.
  48. hopeful

hopeful

Always good to see updates with fixes! Stability is essential. :)

In terms of language, it's a padlock, but more specifically a combination lock. (The "combination" is the numeric key.)

Thanks!

49. neodotca

neodotca

Getting better and better!

I hope you can fix the "crazy ragdoll" bug.

Also, when you hold a weapon and you die, the weapon dropped on the floor. So you reappear, but the old weapon is still there, so when you die again, the weapons accumulate on the floor. I don't know if you can make the weapon disappear when the player die.

50. sr388

sr388

Mmmm I see, thanks for the explanation. I used that word for its length, combination lock looks a bit long haha.

Yeah, I will check the ragdoll for this update.

About the weapons, that is the option to drop weapons when player dies.

upload_2017-12-11_19-38-2.png
    What actually drops it is the pickup of the weapon that he is using, so the player (or an AI when the options is avaliable), can pick that weapon and use it again instead of the weapon disappearing. Do you want an option to drop the weapon and make it disappear? It can be added.

Regards.