Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.6%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

30.0%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.2%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.0%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.1%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.5%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.6%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.4%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.2%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Any update on an ETA sr?

2. sr388

sr388

Yes, it will be uploaded the next mid week and this time, it is a fact.

I am really sorry for the lastest delays, but I wanted not only to complete those systems which weren't totally finished in the last update (like locked camera, map system, weapons fixes, ....) but make some serious improvements, not only for the system itself, but also, adding the considerations for the multiplayer, because it will be easy to do sooner than later (along with the new AI system to work with the same components as the player).

In other case, for every update, the number of modifications would increase more and more.

Right now, I have been able to work in the AI again, and there is only a few things in the todo list for this update.

My reggie is body.

Regards.

YucelBrendel, tgamorris76 and Wetw0rx like this.
  3. neoshaman

neoshaman

I see you own Mario Odissey, I may challenge you to arms and mariokart 8

sr388 likes this.
  4. sr388

sr388

Challenge accepted (insert barney stinson picture here), though I am much better in arms than mario kart xd.

Btw, how do you know that I own Mario Oddisey? Do I have you added in friend list and I didn't notice?

5. neoshaman

neoshaman

There is a strong correlation between "my reggie is body" and day one impulse buy of staple nintendo game. Simple statistics lol. I'm too poor for Mario yet, I got mario kart and arms because I lended my Switch to someone and he impulse buy those game, I won't complain ....

sr388 likes this.
  6. sr388

sr388

Touche. Actually, that is some serious psychology, haha.

Unfortunately, I am poor too, but oddisey deserves one less meal per day for a month.... sort of....I am hungry.

But yeah, I need to decrease my expenses to minimum for a while, too much games for this end of year xd

emperor12321 and neoshaman like this.
  7. sr388

sr388

Btw, I forgot to tell the last improvements added:
    • Start the game with a selected locked camera, so if your game uses only that kind of cameras, you only need to select the camera to start and add the player which uses it.
    cam.gif
    • Enable or disable the camera shakes (when player fires, receives damage, explosions, etc...) in locked camera.
    shakes.gif
    • Sight/cursor configurable for every system used for the player to fire, like the weapons, powers and grab/carry/drop objects, being separated cursor customizable for every system.
    • The prefab of the player doesn't contain the level map created now, so you can create a map easily in every level, and just by pressing a button, the map system searches and assigns every floor created. Every map floor is automatically asigned.
    map.gif
    • In the code terminal and computers, you can use the actual pc keyboard to write the passwords or any text (this option can be enabled or disabled). It will come handy for a future feature for console commands and a system which allows to give orders by text, like "open a certain door", "send this object here", "turn off the lights in that room", etc...
    terminal.gif
    • Now, you can start the game with the player drawing a weapon, and also, you can select if he uses the first one avaliable or a certain weapon.
    weapons.gif

Regards.

tgamorris76, Razmot, rrahim and 2 others like this.
  8. neodotca

neodotca

Really appreciate the fact that you keep us informed with commentaries and animated GIF

tgamorris76 and sr388 like this.
  9. sr388

sr388

Another quick update.

The screen objectives system has been improved, allowing to configure any type of icon on screen to show targets where the player has to go (very similar to how works the map system icons, pickups icons, etc...).

upload_2017-11-13_20-47-31.png
    In this gif, different types of screen icons are shown, for regular objectives, path waypoint and map marks, the images in every icon type can be changed as you need.

objective icons6.gif

Also, the pickup text info on the screen when the player gets a pickup is placed correctly now, not matter the length of the text, allowing to configure any type of offset and the time to remove every line.

pickup info 4.gif

The update goes fine for the release date.

Regards.

10. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

11. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Quick question, do objective icons dissappear on arrival?

12. sr388

sr388

Of course, it is the same system which already is included in the asset, but with option to add different types of icons, so you can know what type of objective is just by looking at it.

You can set an object as a target at the start of the game or add it by script. If you are close enough (value configured in the inspector), the icon is disabled (and the color in the texture of the mesh is back to the regular value).

Regards.

tgamorris76 and YucelBrendel like this.
  13. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

thank you :)

sr388 likes this.
  14. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Was it this week or next week the release?

15. sr388

sr388

The new version will be uploaded to the asset store today. Usually, an update takes between 2 - 5 days to be released, so you can expect it avaliable for the beginning of the next week.

Regards.

16. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Any chance of a gander at the full release notes?

17. sr388

sr388

Sure, in a few hours I will post it here ;)

tgamorris76 likes this.
  18. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Thanks bud :) you do good work

sr388 likes this.
  19. sr388

sr388

Quick update.

I have been testing the AI for this update for a couple of hours and seems to work good. But I have lost sense of time and it is 4:30 am xd. So I am going to sleep and upload the new version when I get up (I need to take some captures and add new text to the asset store page).

Good night.

tgamorris76, Wetw0rx and Adrad like this.
  20. neodotca

neodotca

Did you test the "save" on an android or an ios device?

21. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I still working in the new draft for the asset, but nothing more work is required in unity, so that is the only work left to do.

In the mean time, here is the full list of features (maybe I am forgetting some of it, I have to check it later), in spoiler due to lenght.

Back to the work. I will be back as soon as the new version is uploaded today.

It will be fixed today, don't worry ;)

Regards.

22. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Bravo :) looks real good

sr388 likes this.
  23. emperor12321

emperor12321

I have a simple idea for a power, of you have time. I want to be able to see what a camera sees just by casting a power at it, not using a terminal (like watch dogs jumping from player to camera to camera)
    My game has a player defending his base by proxy, watching his traps and npc employees from cameras mostly. Thanks

sr388 likes this.
  24. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Just wondered, the start a scene with player in vehicle... is in this update or does it already exist? Also will AI in the coming update be able to mount vehicles? like passengers, maybe use turrets mounted on vehicles?

25. sr388

sr388

Good news, everyone.

Ok, so finally, the new version is ready and uploading to the asset store right now.

There are some parts that I wanted to add, but it was not possible for this update, like adding the AI to the creator character window.

But don't worry, this will be done in the next update. Also, full documentation will be my main focus for the next udpate, which will take much less time than usually.

Btw, the AI is not perfect yet, it needs more work, but this is due to time and it is only the second version. Tons of improvements will be made.

I am really sorry for all the delays (I am fighting against a cold since a few days xd), but I hope that it will worth the time.

I am going to make a short video with the new features, with a maximum of 5 minutes to avoid my typical infinite videos.

Also, the new demos will be posted here too.

Yeah, I remember that we talked about that ability some pages ago and it was added in the todo list ;) In a similar way to super mario oddisey, I want to make all kind of controlable things, not only npcs, friends and enemies, but objects and similar stuff.

Not yet, but all that you mention will be included very soon with the improvements for the save system and the AI.

Regards.

26. emperor12321

emperor12321

Sorry to repeat my question! Forgot I had already asked. Hope you feel better

sr388 and tgamorris76 like this.
  27. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here the demos:

Main PC Demo

Mansion PC Demo

Android Demos

Feel free to tell me anything about the demos if you try them.

Btw, I have already mentioned in the main post, but I want to tell it here too. The price of the asset is the same for update 2.3.8 for a month. After that, it will be increased in 5 dollars. This is not an upgrade, this price change won't affect to people who already has the asset.

Don't worry men, I appreciate a lot every suggestion and sometimes I forgot to add them until they tell me again.
    Also, thanks, only my throat is worse, but at least I have a manly voice now xd.

Regards.

28. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Hope u feel better sr

sr388 likes this.
  29. sr388

sr388

Yes, I am already better, thanks for ask men.

Btw, I don't know if it was implicit or not, but the update was uploaded and it is pending for review since sunday, so maybe for the end of this week or the beginning of the next, it will be avaiable.

Regards.

BryanO and tgamorris76 like this.
  30. sr388

sr388

I suppose that you received the notification (or maybe not yet), but the update is already available...that was quick haha.

Regards.

neodotca and tgamorris76 like this.
  31. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Hi, great update.... how do i go about replacing the model on the AI prefabs?

ps - any chance of a turorial.... it's changed a bit so not sure how. will trial and error it :)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  32. sr388

sr388

I would suggest to wait for the next update (which will take only a couple of weeks as maximum), which will include the option to create npcs in the same character creator window, like with the player. Also, this menu will allow to configure the type of attack that the npc will have (none, weapons or melee), and with new updates, there will be more attack options and modes (neutral npcs which will attack if they are damaged), both melee and weapons mode, AI which will search weapons in the scene if they don't have, etc....

It would take a certain amount of time to make the change manually, and with the belong option, it will only take a mouse click (I don't want people waste their time when the automatic option will be included very soon).

Even now that the player and AI shares most of their script, the AI has some extra components and elements. And of course, with the next update, full documentation will be added (finally).

Regards.

neodotca likes this.
  33. Walton

Walton

Hi can someone please help ive just brought this great asset and am trying to learn about how to use it..
    I have just opened the demo scene,s but can not change to First Person. I have selected change to first person in the current camera setting but it does not change from Third Person and all i get is this error and the camera does not change..

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    playerCamera.setFirstPersonEditor () (at Assets/Game Kit Controller/Scripts/Camera/Player Camera/playerCamera.cs:891)
    playerCameraEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Game Kit Controller/Scripts/Editor/playerCameraEditor.cs:172)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor editor, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1240)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Any help please ( Im using Version 2.3.8)
    (Unity Version 5.6.3f1)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  34. sr388

sr388

Hi Walton.

Thanks for your purchase.

Let me make a quick test to check what could be the issue and I will be back here asap.

Regards.

35. kukuhbasuki

kukuhbasuki

What if I buy your asset now and doing some work with AI. Will it be easy to merge with the next update?

36. sr388

sr388

Hi again @Walton.

You were right, there was an error in the editor option to set the camera to first person (a component wasn't assigned correctly).

But it is already fixed. Also, I have noticed that the weapons cursor in first person wasn't disabled when the player keeps his weapon. It is already fixed. I will upload this version today, but if someone need it now, tell me for private message and I will send you this fixed version.

That depends on the extension of the changes that you could make (in code or in the prefab itself). The code needed to add the character creator for AI won't affect the code used in the current AI, it will only affect to the code of the character creator itself.

I want to add the option for character creator tomorrow, so the couple of fixes above and this will be in the same update, which will be uploaded this weekend (I want the asset to have the AI creator the sooner possible).

Btw, I have been working in an option to lock objects on camera, so the camera can look at them and you can move around that object easily (like in ocarina of time), based on tag and layers.

This option will allow also to have an aim assist for weapons and powers, with option to select the closest target to player, the closest to the center of the screen, select only targets visible on screen, etc...

Regards.

tgamorris76 likes this.
  37. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Managed to get a friend AI working with my model, but wont attack with weapons? runs close for melee...not sure but might be me missing something out ;) and the option including lockon will be brilliant. Could allow for some fast gameplay especially with time bullet on .
    Also forgot to mention but grenade launcher on my model(tried building 3 in character creator) isnt' firing. And assault rifle sometimes gets stuck on front of characters chest instead of holster on back when changing weapons. Minor bugs which i can still workaround(swap weapons a few times and the ass. rifle goes back in proper holster but cant figure out the grenade launcher)

38. neodotca

neodotca

Maybe you are not going to like my message ( i am not here to be liked anyways :p), but i think this need to be said. I think you should rethink your priorities.

1- Stop adding more little features here and there.
    2- Finish the AI creator.
    3- Make the controller stable (testing all systems, fixing bugs).
    4- Do the tutorials and videos.
    5- Adding the most important missing features, the basic movements (stairs and ladders, maybe also swimming).
    6- Now you can add more features;).

Again, like everybody, i am always happy to get more features, but more people will buy the asset if it's stable and if you have the tutorials and videos. I am scared that you will find your self in the same situation over and over having to reupload the asset 2 or 3 times because of a few bugs that you could of find if you had taken the time to do more testing.

I am telling you all that because i care about you and your project, not only because i am using your controller for my game. Maybe i am wrong but this is my opinion. The opinion of others on that would be useful, the Dev is not only here for us, we are also here to help him make this controller the best possible one. But i want to finish on a positive note, this controller is the best, even the name is the best ... GKC

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    BryanO and sr388 like this.
  39. Walton

Walton

Hi @sr388
    Thanks for finding that it was a problem and not just me. I will look forward to the fix and to continue to learn your asset.

sr388 likes this.
  40. Walton

Walton

Hi @sr388 while still trying to learn about your asset i am now getting a problem weapons not being selected, and i get this error come up:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    playerWeaponsManager.canUseWeapons () (at Assets/Game Kit Controller/Scripts/Weapons/playerWeaponsManager.cs:671)
    playerWeaponsManager.aimOrDrawWeaponFirstPerson (Boolean state) (at Assets/Game Kit Controller/Scripts/Weapons/playerWeaponsManager.cs:531)
    playerWeaponsManager.aimCurrentWeapon (Boolean state) (at Assets/Game Kit Controller/Scripts/Weapons/playerWeaponsManager.cs:425)
    playerWeaponsManager.aimCurrentWeaponInput () (at Assets/Game Kit Controller/Scripts/Weapons/playerWeaponsManager.cs:416)
    playerWeaponsManagerEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Game Kit Controller/Scripts/Editor/playerWeaponsManagerEditor.cs:274)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor editor, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1240)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

I hope it is me and not your problem again :(

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  41. sr388

sr388

I am working in the IA creator right now ;)

The grenade launcher is configured as homing projectiles, so you need to hold fire button, aim to some enemies and release to use it (you can disable the homing option inside the playerWeaponSystem inspector).

The weapons has some issue yet when "it is forced", but it will be fixed, maybe I will simplifiy the path system to draw weapons and make the weapon appear directly in the hands of the player.

Of course, I couldn't to say it better.

Like I said, for the current update I am focusing on the doc and to fix any remaining bug. Until that, I won't spend time in doing anything more. About the aim assist, that is being done in my free time, just to test if with the current camera system, it could be added without any considerable change (and it was like that, with a couple of simple functions, it worked).

So yeah, I will use this update to remove any other bug, test everything and make sure all is perfect.

Thanks again for your interest, I totally understand what you say (sometimes, I work to much in new features, instead of being totally sure everything work, but this won't happen again).

Mmm that is weird. Did you add or remove weapons for the player, or make some change? Is there any weapon in the weapon list in the playerWeaponsManager inspector?

upload_2017-11-24_18-48-59.png

Regards.

42. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

thanks sr :) also on the question of weapons. when player is in aircraft, the weapons are still on the players back. is there some way to have weapons hidden when a player is in an enclosed vehicle like the car or aircraft/ship. It looks a bit out of place. sorry to be a bother

43. sr388

sr388

I will add an option in vehicles to hide these weapons while you drive them ;)

44. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

hi sr :) thanks sr

45. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Can i run something by you... i mentioned a while back that i loved the aircraft but if it was possible to make one that was fully 6 dof?
    Is that still on the table.... would just need strafe up and down and left and right and a reverse thrust method added to current aircraft

Wetw0rx likes this.
  46. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  47. sr388

sr388

Mmmm I don't know if I understand this, can you tell me more?

The day/night cycle sounds cool, I want to add it in a future update. I will try the demo when I finish the current update ;)

Btw, I am finishing the update, the character builder is almost done, allowing to configure in the same window if the character is player, enemy or friend, and if it is an ai, you can select between the types armed, combat or unarmed.

Also, when this type of character is created, it is placed in the scene using the camera editor, so you can create and place this new character very quickly.

Finally the aim assist is also finished, allowing a lot of options. There are two ways to use it, one by pressing directly the action key on the keyboard or aiming with weapons or powers in first or third person. Of course, if non target is found, it won't do nothing.

Here the options that can be configured (is inside the player camera inspector):
    • Allow to enable or disable this mode.
    • Speed in camera rotation.
    • Max distance to get all the objects which have a tag inside the tag list configured.
    • The layer to find these objets and to check with a raycast that there is not obstacles between them and the camera.
    • Option to show a little cursor at the object selected.
    • Option to set if only those objets inside the screen view are checked.
    • Option to get the closes object to screen center and the distance in pixels to it.
    • Option to disable the aim assist after x seconds (very useful to aim to enemies for example).
    • And the tag list of objets to check.
    There is a lot of options that it will be included in new updates, but for now, I think that these already has a lot of potential.

upload_2017-11-25_17-30-19.png

Here a couple of gifs:
    aim assist5.gif

And the character creator:

creator.gif

I will upload the new version between today and tomorrow.

Regards.

neodotca and tgamorris76 like this.
  48. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

6dof.png

This is what i meant by 6 DoF, like the way ships control in games like elite dangerous or star citizen.

so like u mapped controls of aircraft pitch is W and S, yaw is A and D, roll is Q and E and its basically ok but it's really an atmosphere based aircraft.

In elite dangerous for instance i have my controls mapped A and D = strafe left and right, W and S = throttle controls. accelerates as long as your hand is on the throttle and then stays set at the speed u leave it at when key up, Q and E i had mapped to roll left and right and left control(crouch) mapped to strafe down and space(jump) to strafe up yaw and pitch where mapped to mouse x and y axis. I would so love to have this kinda control set for spaceship type vehicle.

Weapons in a fixed forward firing arc would also benefit from having the pitch and yaw mapped to them and the throttle i also mentioned before... when reducing thrust to zero, if u still hold the button can then reverse thrust(trust in direction counter to main thrust(becomes strafe backwards).

what would make it perfect would be thrust points in each of the directions or a nozzle type of system allowing to rotate the exhaust in direction of thrust but fixed is better. Can use the same code for boost on the exhaust glow :)

sr388 likes this.
  49. sr388

sr388

Mmmm, I see.

Sounds interesting to implement. I want to dedicate an update to improve the current vehicles and add more (a lot more), so I will test this kind of system (or make a separated vehicle with this kind of control).

Also, the aircraft still needs other elements like barrel roll, turn the ship in the opposite direction, etc...

Thanks for the (very well) explanation.

Regards.

tgamorris76 likes this.
  50. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Hey sr388, if u watched the movie "minority report", the controls above mime the kind ff controll those dropships(futuristic helicopter) would use.