Search Unity

50% OFF Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.6%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

29.9%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.1%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.1%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.3%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.4%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.7%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.5%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.7%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. hopeful

hopeful

Keep in mind ... don't take too big of a bite at once! If you can pick out a few of these things that are easily done and then send them out in an update before moving on to more, that would be good. ;)

sr388 and Wetw0rx like this.
  2. sr388

sr388

Yeah, I think the same, by developing all of this, I have not to worry never more in future projects (I have already use this same asset a couple of times for different porpuses). Also, I can share with more people, improve my knowledge at the same time and have fun with it (not so much sometimes xd), it is a win-win.

I still need to think a good way to make a flying AI, but it seems that woud need what you say (maybe an air navigation system will be added by unity, hope so).

And about the jumping, I think that some code for extra checkings can do the work, I want to spend some time in the AI.

Yeah, don't worry, this big list will be distributed between a few updates according to the difficult to implement them.

No more udpates will take as much time as the last big one, you can be sure.

Regards.

neoshaman and hopeful like this.
  3. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Cool though won't you need a small programming team with that?I am also working on a target camera system so when you press the T Key when you have like a friendly A.I in your sights you can see what they see in 1st person view I am not sure if you can use it but I would like to donate it to you and see what you think I haven't finished it yet all I know is that the code is fairly clean and rubs get in touch if you wish for it I am not that great a programmer though

sr388 likes this.
  4. neodotca

neodotca

Bought the asset very early on and there were already many features, when the dev said that he will stop adding features only when all possible features are added, i said to myself, this is the one… and i was right. Most of the items for the 2.4 update list are very exciting, can’t wait to test and add them to my game.

But an important one is missing, it’s the save system for mobile. I have a game with many levels, so let say the player stop playing at level 5, to continue the game the next time, with no save system, he will have to start from the beginning to reach level 6. So for now as a temporary solution, i created buttons in the main menu so the player can access each level directly.

Quick idea: You already have an enemy A.I that follow the player and you have a turret, why not add legs or wheels to the turret and create a kind of Mech?

sr388 likes this.
  5. sr388

sr388

Hi and sorry, I was almost two day away from the computer and wasn't able to check the forum.

Haha, don't worry, I think that I am able to make all of them without too much problem, though maybe in the future I could need help in some specific areas, maybe multiplayer online, but I will worry about that when I start it.

And sure, feel free to send anything you want, that feature about change the camera to see what other npcs see sounds cool and I didn't think about it before.

I CAN'T STOP.....haha. Thanks for the support men all this time, it has been very important for me. Yes, the save system will be much improved, allowing to store more info, about inventory, player stats, powers and weapons unlocked or improved, etc...

And about AI, yes, it is the idea to add more type of enemies, not only humanoids, but robots, too, and the turrets will be remade to simplify a lot of things but allowing to have much more options, features and customization too (even take control of them). Also, I don't forget about add transformable mechs (similar to xenoblade) so if they work well, I will try to make them AI too.

Regards.

6. neodotca

neodotca

It's a good news if you are going to improve the save system, but i was asking about the save system "for mobile", if i am not mistaken, at the moment the save system doesn't work with mobile.

7. emperor12321

emperor12321

Would you be willing to share this with me? This is a key component of the game I want to make and I have never been able to figure it out

8. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Oh yes no problem just get in touch with me on here or email me at vampyregames@ yahoo.co.uk its still a bit new and I haven't tested it as yet it worked fine though in 5.6 I havenb't downloaded 2017 yet to test it in that

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    emperor12321 likes this.
  9. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Oh thanks I actually have seen that in Battlezone R.T.S series and Uprising of which the videos are here so thats a feature (seeing through a targeted NPC's FPS camera )I would love to see I think it is also in the Wing Commander and Conflict Freespaces series but I can't remember

10. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

More changes and improvements have been done:
    • The shake camera system already works with any element that could damage the player, and also, combined with the event trigger system, these shakes can be triggered in any place, for example if the player enters in a room and suddenly an earthquake starts.
    • Weapons for player and vehicles can apply force in any direction to them, to simulate heavy ammo and powerful shoots.
    • The grab objects system now allows to pick and move objects in the position that they are grabbed, instead of displace them close to the camera (both options can be used).
    • The AI has now a basic melee combat system, using the same component that the player has.
    The AI needs a lot of work yet, its state in the last update was (very) alpha. But for now, I will focus in check the rest of systems and upload this update very soon.

Edit: I forgot to add a gif. Here:

Animation.gif

Also, other things have been fixed:
    • In the jump platforms, the player keeps his weapon drawn.
    • The crates and explosive barrel didn't drop its objects if they were broken with a hit instead of broken by shoting for example.
    • The ragdoll and the weapons now work properly when the player gets up.
    Yes, I think about it as another power, or maybe inside the scanner mode, where you aim to a target and the camera is placed in his head (if humanoid) or in some place configured in a component.

Regards.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  11. hopeful

hopeful

I was thinking of having something a little like that in my own game, where you could essentially have a surveillance drone that you can send around corners, and see on the screen what's there. (And of course, your drone can get attacked and you lose the feed.)

It seems like just about everything that's needed to create a remote camera and display is already present in the kit with the security cameras and pet AI, right? Just attach it to a pet or target, enable it, and go.

sr388 likes this.
  12. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

Awesome! I can't wait for the new update.

1. I'm having a great time tinkering with the kit but the weapon IK is a bit of a hassle for me. Usually, I can customize the pistols no problem. Any of the other weapons have severe alignment issues in 3rd person mode that I can't seem to work out. Any advise on how to correct any IK mismatches or player building techniques to avoid these issues? Maybe I should align the powers aiming and see (I don't really use the powers (yet) so maybe failing to align the aim for it is causing issues) I suspected that GKC was built with the Z axis pointing up and all my bone transforms have a forward facing Z axis but the issue occurs on any player model regardless of bone architecture and no matter what process I use to build the player. I do feel like it has something to do with the player build process. The IK transforms look fine in the editor but at runtime the player aims down and to the left and his spine bends to the left about 45 degrees. I'll post a pic or send you a sample scene if you'd like.

2. The players ability to enter vehicles goes away after dying and continuing. Only a restart fixes it.

3. I've implemented a pretty nifty script to control vehicle lights and thought it would be cool if the kit included something like that.

4. I can't really add new inputs. I've repurposed some of the other inputs for testing some added functions. Maybe I've gotta add new axes first but the system seemed a bit buggy.

Hope to see that manual soon. Thanks for the great kit though I've gotten really good at replacing and fine tuning the vehicle models and they work great! Also the devices like the computers, doors, lift, etc are very good and useful.

sr388 likes this.
  13. neodotca

neodotca

I would like to know if you plan to add a save system for mobile? that something important for my games. thanks!

14. Artur7

Artur7

@sr388 what is the status of update that fixes compatibility with newest Unity version?

15. sr388

sr388

Yes, the camera system use a render texture right now, but with some additions, it could use the system to directly place the camera used by the player in their position, being this the whole switch camera system that we have talked.

This system could be used later with the ability of the player to control other elements and npcs like in mario oddissey that I will add to the asset, or maybe I will make another camera system configurable for any of them, similar to how the vehicles work right now, allowing to configure every camera as you need.

Also, planned to make drones similar to what you said, controlable as vehicles, but without the player inside, so it would be very similar to your idea and for example, watch dogs 2.

1. I think that you mean a problem with the spine rotation for weapons, which it is already fixed, and will be avaliable with the upcoming update. With this update, I will add the doc to explain how to configure, though I want to simplify the IK system configuration for weapons.

2. I will check that, it should have a quick solution.

3. Yes, I had planned to add that option before, but due to time, it was not possible. I want to add things like that, a horn, working rear view mirrors and parts that fall from vehicles according to the damage received.

4. Do you mean in the InputManager system? Make sure to use the option Load Editor Config in Load Option inside Save Settings or press the Save To File button, to use it when the game starts.

Captura.PNG
    Thanks, I am trying to make the model prefabs easy to change.

Oh yes, sorry, I forgot to add your reply. Of course, I think that it is some issue with the path to the save file, because the save system is made for both pc and mobile. I will check that, but it will be avaliable, don't worry.

Unfortunately, I haven't as much free time as I would like, and need a little more time, this week should be enough to do that version.

Regards.

16. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Cool can't wait for the next update

17. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Oh Yes and can you make it so you can add tank cnnon or really an a tank autocannon to the hovercraft vehicle please as that would be great, personaly I think it would be great if you can add your weapons to any kind of vehicle

18. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

Very cool. Thanks for the reply. I think I've gotten the hang of the input system. I was adding functions like headlights, brakelights, etc. and needed more buttons. I want to keep the option to remap the buttons at runtime however and your system handles the matter perfectly. The new update sounds like a winner!
    Si viviera en Europa te brindaria una cervesa. Su asset me ha dado un curso en Unity de primera classe! JaJa

sr388 likes this.
  19. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

Hey Vamp. I found the vehicles to be very modular and versatile. If you child a custom turret or cannon to the base Y transform, you can have rotation and pitch. You can also child it to the most similar weapon and disable the mesh renderers but wait until your weapon model is perfectly aligned before doing that. Then by tweaking the weapon parameters (rate of fire, damage, etc) in the inspector, any type of weapon can be made to work with any vehicle. Any weapons not needed can be disabled altogether. I've managed to get a tank, a hummer, a hover bike and a jet fighter fully working with weapons, hand IK, custom audio, damage with decals and even updated shell models and particles! The vehicle system alone is worth the price of this asset. Actually, driving on walls and S*** was a game changer for me (pun intended lol)... I do wish we had a VTOL or heli, a boat and some vehicle storage (maybe even a way to tow or dock small vehicles to large ones like for trucks, ships and capital vessels). If you need an in depth look at what the vehicles can do, let me know. Not trying to be annoying or hijack your post, just trying to give a fellow Ethan a hand :)

Vampyr_Engel, sr388 and hopeful like this.
  20. sr388

sr388

Actually you can add weapons to any vehicle like Wetw0rx said.

Yes, I have planned to add a lot of new vehicles, one of them is a tank, and with the new option to add force to the vehicle after every shoot, it will look very cool. Also, I will add an option to have 3 types of weapons control in vehicles, manual (the current), semi auto (you can control the weapon but with a range distance from enemies, the weapons aims and shoot automatically to enemies, and here another option to change between enemies) and full auto (the player doens't control the turret).

Also, the I will complete the vehicle weapon system because until now, the weapon can aim and damage the current vehicle, so this will be solved too (it is not a bug, it is just the system was made like that).

Jajaja me apunto esa birra. Muchas gracias @Wetw0rx. Yes, I really like how the input system works, and with the options for gamepads that will be added, it will be much more customizable.

I couldn't tell it better, thanks for the quick explanation. That is precisely what I try to achieve, the highest level of customization, I will try to improve even more, with anything that comes to my mind.

And yes, more vehicles will be added, along with bigger vehicles like ships, trucks and similar, where you can store smaller vehicles.

Also, I hope the AI in vehicles work good, to being able to add a race system (with waypoints) and gravity parts (I can't wait to that).

Regards.

Vampyr_Engel and Wetw0rx like this.
  21. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

No problem bro, this is a go to asset for anyone that wants a fast workflow. Assets and forums like this are the reason Unity is so awesome and is exactly what I think of when I hear the phrase "democratized gaming development".

Today I set up a scene with multiple AIs (friendlies and enemies) and had a blast infiltrating a warehouse full of bad guys. I thought to myself, "I set this up in like 30 minutes!". :eek:

All your ideas for the coming updates sound epic, man.

Any help I can give would be my pleasure. I'm on the forum almost daily so I'll try to post helpful things. I'm working on a story driven, decision making, near-future, action RPG with squad shooter and vehicle elements.

sr388 and hopeful like this.
  22. sr388

sr388

That is one of the main reasons why I love this forum, unity and develope assets for it. Find, meet and talk with other people about main parts of game development was an impossible dream for me until just a few years ago. I love to spend time on these forums (and similar), looking how people share problems, find solutions, make theories about how any game is made or show their WIP.

The only bad part is that I would like longer days, so much ideas to try, so much prototypes....xd, at least this asset (and new ones in not too long future) allows to try and share some of those ideas.

Btw, that game that you said sound really interesting, I love that type of games, with a good mix of mechanics and story (and a touch of plausible future is always cool).

Thanks for these comments, they only prove my point, and makes me really happy that anyone (even if it would be just one person) find this asset useful to help their vision come true.

Regards.

hopeful likes this.
  23. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Great well I could do with a hand as I wish to have a lot of these vehicles on a planet , on several planets fighting and loading and unloading from Starship carriers and crusiers that would be cool Even have a level driving and sailing up and dopwn walls would be be great say inside a cubular planet Me I would like a a hovertanks and hovertank scout , hover plane and /space plane, Battleship, batllecrusier, Aircraft carrier (both Air and Sea) and Starcruiser Star Carrier Star battleship that would be great you can P,M me on here or email me at vampyrengel@yahoo.co.uk Yes I am very interested

sr388 likes this.
  24. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Great if you had a look of the Battlezone game well those cannons are auto but the tanks are turretless but still turretless hovertanks and turreted thread tanks with moving turrets would be awesome along with gun towers and mobile turrets that shoot when they are locked in position cool

sr388 likes this.
  25. sr388

sr388

Just a quick update, I have fixed the issue with the Character Creator window for unity 5.6 and above. I want to make a few more test with this and others system of the asset, but this week an update will be uploaded with a big list of fixes and improvements, and versions for unity 5.3, 5.6 and 2017.

Also, I have started to add the code to create humanoid enemies and friends in the same editor window that the player, just by selecting the type of character that you want to create. But first, the AI need some work to improve its funcionality and performance.

Regards.

Wetw0rx and hopeful like this.
  26. neoshaman

neoshaman

HI again!

I'm working on a rpg right now as a challeng, I must do 45h alone at all cost, I planned to use this asset at the end, I already bought it, right now I was surveying town simulation with npc scheduling, I'll start a prototype soon.

It got me thinking, since you are open to suggestion, can a npc schedule be done with the asset? Can the asset support hooks to do it? I think you already have a patrol and a waypoint system, a scheduling system is basically a patrol ai that is time sensitive, so if you have patrol half the job is done!

But the powerful thing with scheduling is that if you spawn, let's say a town, at a given "timecode" the npc would be in the middle of what it was doing as if it was simulated the whole time! So if a npc takes go from A to B starting at 9h pm to 10h pm, at 9h30, when the player enter the radius of spawn, he would be exactly at 0.5 (half) of the path between A and B.

Scale to a whole town and it's as if it has a life when the player is not looking! The powerful thing is that everything is just interval, even if the player isn't on a path, he is playing an animation, so we can know exactly at which frame he would be too, as long we can know the length of any time sensitive property.

To spice things up, schedule can have "interval branch" so they don't repeat the same activity every day, which would also help with a "calendar" event condition that will modify interval schedule based on time of day or year, but could be plug into an event based broadcast that would change or select schedule branch base on triggered event (think war). Majora's mask is a good example of that, where npc change their schedule base on what the player did.

Another more or less "simple" hook to add, is something like Elizabeth in Bioshock infinite, it looks complex, but it's mostly driven by good asset (animation, text, script, voices). The basic is it work like a cover system where the cover "points" are replaced by "emote" and where the points (they are call "stand" or "smart terrain", just a point in place with a tag about interaction for selection) are selected not by survival condition but simple emotional variable. Another trick is that the character have a target navigation point always ahead of the player's path. It works essentially by good level design rather than complex AI.

27. FragThisPunk

FragThisPunk

I've been having issues with the Xbox controller support. When I look at the input axes list I can see that for example A is assigned to Jump but every time I run it and click on A I get the pause menu and none of the other controls work. This is after I add the GKC_Prefab to a scene.

28. sr388

sr388

Hi @neoshaman.

Precisely I have seen this very same video a couple of days ago (back in the day when bioshock infinite was showing some develop diary, I was fascinated by how the AI will work, I wonder how the real game would be instead of the final that we got which was very good, but a lot of ideas, mechanics and parts, including a better AI, were removed). This along some videos from Mark Brown to find some ideas for the AI, also these types of videos are incredibly interesting and useful.

And the idea that you said sounds really good. For example, I am working in a 2d scroll game and the AI will be able to move between every room from a large map with some prefixed path, random and other decisions (which I haven't thought yet xd).

I will think a way to implement that in the asset, like you said, there is already a powerful waypoint system and with this addition, a city could be populated with this schedule system, it would work even for vehicles, which I want to add an AI with waypoints and navmesh system (allowing to make races too).

Also, I would like to make an AI similar to elizabeth too, to interact more with the player and help him according to the situation.

Btw, that project sounds interesting, feel free to give us more updates about it. Also, the first update will be ready this week.

Regards.

Wetw0rx and neoshaman like this.
  29. sr388

sr388

Hi FragThisPunk.

Are you sure that A is not assigned to Pause too? What you can do is select none in the actions that haven't a gamepad button.

The gamepad support needs some more testing (it is not finished completly). Also, I want to improve it with more customization options, allowing also to use the same gamepad button for different actions, so you can use all the actions defined in the game.

And with this new functions it will become easier to add the future local multiplayer, setting a gamepad for every player distinguishing every action for every gamepad.

Regards.

30. hopeful

hopeful

A very large waypoint system does sound like an interesting project. I can see where it might be too big to fit within the scope of the GKC, though.

Here are some things I'd think would be in a system like that.

1) A table of virtual objects with their transform references and timelines, which can be manipulated by a movement-simulating AI.

2) A method of procedurally inputting or creating a large number of waypoints and routes. Inputting routes and schedules would probably be desired for buses, trains, subways, and airplanes. But police and medical helicopters, fire trucks, garbage trucks, and pedestrians would probably be more reliant on fully procedural methods, probably using a lookup table to find objects in the scene hierarchy to use as waypoints (like "residential door 1" and "residential door 2" as origin points and "office door 1" and "store door 1" as end points, and "sidewalk" and "crosswalk" as path points).

3) An AI to handle the movements within the table, plus also to handle instancing and culling these objects as they move into the player's frame of reference. Additionally, when objects become instantiated - like cars and pedestrians - they'd need to obey a more detailed AI involving steering around obstacles, stopping at traffic lights, and so on.

4) Probably there would be at least one grid overlaying the area for the very large waypoint system, providing the bounds. This grid would contain information like what types of objects originate in these areas (so that aristocrats occur in the better parts of town, and peasants in the worse part of town). This grid might also be used to help the system recognize the player's frame of reference (a cell in the grid) and which cells are the neighbor cells, to signal which objects need to be instantiated or culled as the frame of reference moves from cell to cell.

I could see this being done by creating SOs for the various objects, and this would indicate what model to use, and what behavior to follow (time to depart, what type of origin waypoint, time to arrive, what type of destination waypoint, what types of objects can be used to build the path). Several of these SOs could be added to an array in a script for each cell in the grid.

5) An object pool, so that GC is eliminated as much as reasonably possible. This way the system makes, say, 30 aristrocrats and 30 peasants, or 40 different automobiles, pools them in the hierarchy, and assigns them to VLWS objects as they become visible.

6) All of the generation needs to be deterministic, so that visuals can be replicated over a network using a seed.

Something like that. It sounds fairly ambitious to me. It's do-able, but probably not as a small subsystem.

sr388 and neoshaman like this.
  31. neoshaman

neoshaman

OMG, I was thinking about something more "intimate" lol than an full city with vehicle lol, something like majora's mask single town area lol. A small rpg town, scale can quite change the implementation like @hopeful pointed at!

But if you can pull it off why not lol! Even a smplified version of that could be a great addition.

This is something I'm more interested in lol You have my attention and my support :D

They have simple code and are mostly data driven, which is cool to not drag implementation and have the burden on designer and artist. Nothing on the scale of the sims for example ...

http://gdcvault.com/play/1015528/AI-driven-Dynamic-Dialog-through (video)
    http://www.valvesoftware.com/publications/2012/GDC2012_Ruskin_Elan_DynamicDialog.pdf (useful with annotation, can drive behavior and command too)

Now in increasing order of: interesting but easier to overcomplicated difficult

https://youtu.be/jDCFMITrtHc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaV88JAWnbQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSoB19aE9RM
    https://emshort.blog/2013/02/14/introducing-versu/
    https://emshort.blog/2013/02/22/versu-content-structure/
    https://emshort.blog/2013/02/26/versu-conversation-implementation/

After thinking about different way to approach scheduling for my project, I decided to start with the timeline feature of unity as a test and simplest approach, upgrading to something else if necessary. BUT my final end goal is to have procedural scheduling of procedural npc in a procedural world.

This project is really more a planning/production experience than a typical "vision" to achieve, I use a top down approach to design improvising along the way to answer production problematic, the goal is to see how far in quality I can actually realize, not doing stuff that would be seen as bad (think "star trek teleportation" type of solution, because they didn't have the budget for a landing sequence looking good enough) and abuse easy signifier of quality (don't solve problem, stay in solution that exist). It's been kick start with a bunch of random arbitrary parameters.

A bunch of post where the crazyness started, I'm well aware of what I'm doing is ...

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/how-close-can-indies-get-to-aaa-games.468858/page-7#post-3150367
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/how-close-can-indies-get-to-aaa-games.468858/page-7#post-3150394
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/how-close-can-indies-get-to-aaa-games.468858/page-7#post-3150436
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/how-close-can-indies-get-to-aaa-games.468858/page-8#post-3151155
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/how-close-can-indies-get-to-aaa-games.468858/page-8#post-3151203
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/how-close-can-indies-get-to-aaa-games.468858/page-8#post-3151223
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/how-close-can-indies-get-to-aaa-games.468858/page-8#post-3151242
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/how-close-can-indies-get-to-aaa-games.468858/page-8#post-3151257
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/how-close-can-indies-get-to-aaa-games.468858/page-8#post-3151270
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/how-close-can-indies-get-to-aaa-games.468858/page-8#post-3151316
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/how-close-can-indies-get-to-aaa-games.468858/page-8#post-3151349
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/how-close-can-indies-get-to-aaa-games.468858/page-8#post-3151517
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/how-close-can-indies-get-to-aaa-games.468858/page-9#post-3151733
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/how-close-can-indies-get-to-aaa-games.468858/page-11#post-3156639
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/how-close-can-indies-get-to-aaa-games.468858/page-12#post-3185955

First (boring) prototype
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/fj56fu0dr3q4bit/WEBGL.rar?dl=0

sr388 likes this.
  32. sr388

sr388

That sounds a lot of interesting, it is more or less the way (though yours is more detailed) I thought games like GTA and similar sandbox work. A tipical crowd and vehicle system with these schedule and grid system sounds interesting and definitely I will give a try in the future, probably not this year, but next it is very probably (taking in account that the AI and vehicles will be much better by that time). I didn't thought about addition of the grid, that is a good idea too.

This year there will a more basic waypoint system for little crowd and vehicles, so it allows to give to the AI more freedom that just a patrol (which already has random paths). This will be used after for a bigger scale.

But if you can pull it off why not lol! Even a smplified version of that could be a great addition.

There is some message in the videos.....hahaha just kidding, I will take a look at them, it will help to have a better vision for AI.

I will take a look at the forum and prototype too and tell about it asap. It seems that you have a very concrete idea with your own rules, which is very cool and not everyone has the determination to do it. I think in this (and future) asset in a similar way, though I should set a few similar rules too xd.

Regards.

neoshaman likes this.
  33. neoshaman

neoshaman

I would also to recommend you to hit often the GDC vault for best practice in the industry and to know the dirty secret. It cover all aspect of game making, from programming and art to business and production.

For example I was inspired by that and the skyrim/fallout talk to start my project:
    http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1012448/Building-an-Open-World-Game
    Building an Open-World Game Without Hiring an Army
    (Infamous' dev)
    They all rely on early standardization to produce faster at a greater quality.

All talk are free past a year, and only talk with a star are beyond a paid gate, I haven't checked price at all though lol. Sometimes only the video is beyond aid and the slide are free. Major company like DICE, Guerilla, CRYTEK and UBI soft have their slide on their site too.

In general it seems that the major cost is figuring out stuff (and asset), and they are handing you the solution they found. I only wish the dev of xenoblade had talked about their level design process.

I tend to shy away from complex intricate but minor system or minutes details (like motion matching or having snow rendering with dynamic trace in it lol) and focus on big picture improvement (level design, production and workflow). Things that impact the game directly. At least for now :) I also start from old toward new lol The constrain of old is definitely enlightening.

sr388 likes this.
  34. sr388

sr388

Thanks, I will take a look at them too (with this I have a ton of hours of video to see xd).

Often find some really interesting videos like these that give ideas or solve questions about game development that one never figure out before, though there is always stuff that I am never totally sure of how it is done, for example games like inside (those animations physics.....oh my), the ink of splatoon (I think that it is a shader) and similar things.

neoshaman likes this.
  35. neoshaman

neoshaman

sr388 and Bhanshee00 like this.
  36. Artur7

Artur7

@sr388 what is the status on the Unity 2017 update? It really stops my progress with my game ;(

37. sr388

sr388

Hi @Artur7. Today I will upload the update for 5.3, 5.6 and 2017 with all the new fixes and improvements. There will be more little updates like that (maybe 1 or 2 more) with all the systems checked, and then the full documentation will be added.

If you need it now, you can send me a private message or in my gmail and I will send you the project, to avoid the waiting time (which usually takes 3 to 4 days to be released).

Oh yes, I forgot that game too.....I am going to check the sh**out of this video xd. Thanks, in the future I would like to create an asset with a control similar to grow up/grow home, I have spend a lot of hours in these games.

Regards.

BryanO, Wetw0rx and hopeful like this.
  38. hopeful

hopeful

The new update sounds great! :D

sr388 likes this.
  39. sr388

sr388

Btw, for those who didn't know yet, I am working in a personal project, a 2d game with dungeons, combats, powers and characters with different abilities and movement controls and most of the code and systems that I am doing are taken and adapted from this asset.

So at the same time, this allows me to find parts that can be improved or simplified for the asset too (I have already some improvements to add). Also, it will have features like split screen multiplayer, so this will be added to GKC as soon as it is made too.

Regards.

Wetw0rx and hopeful like this.
  40. BryanO

BryanO

Thanks sr388 for all your hard work and updates - this is a great asset and fun to make a game with.

sr388 likes this.
  41. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Ok, I uploaded the new update a few days ago, but today I found a little error in the input manager, which is fixed, but the update has been reuploaded again, backing to the queue so it will take a couple more of days to be released....my bad.

The good news is that I have made some improvements over the power system, in a very similar way to the weapons, allowing to configure a huge amount of options, like if the power shoots a projectile or not, if the player shoot automatically or not, the fire rate, damage, speed, if the projectile seeks a target, particles, sounds for shooting, impact, if it is explosive, implosive, the radius of damage, time to disable, the force mode type, scorch, etc...

Also, it allows to add especial abilities to a power projectile, for example the power to make a black hole or slow down an enemy, is now an ability added to a projectile by a separated script, so you can create and add new behaviours easily, making the system more general and easy to use. Also, now it can be configured an auto shoot for weapons and powers using tag and layers. Here a gif with all the options:

Animation.gif

Also, I have update the first post of the forum with the roadmap of this year and some of the next, most of it is the list that I show a couple of weeks ago. The demo for the update 2.3.7 (the current one) is also avaliable in that post.

The next part wil be start to work more in the AI, for npcs and vehicles, I want them to fight.....xd

Thanks Bryan. I really appreciate that, even if I am not able to say it properly with my awkward messages.

Regards.

Bhanshee00, Wetw0rx and neoshaman like this.
  42. neodotca

neodotca

I found a bug, a bug that I already told you about :p, here's the magical floating pistol :eek:

http://g.recordit.co/eyz8iNwSXu.gif

It can also happen to the enemy AI, not just the player.

sr388 likes this.
  43. kottabos

kottabos

I'm curious about the gravity features in this mod and the listing of zero G as a future feature, and i'm wondering just how far into the future that zero G feature might be?

44. sr388

sr388

Right, this first update fixes most of the issue from update 2.3.6 and there will be another one with any remaining bug (like this one in the player). Also, I have planned to modify the weapons system in the player to make it easier to configure.

About the enemy, it is coded like that, due to it was part of the initial release of the AI, but most of the code will be changed to use most of the same systems that the player use, to make it easier to modifiy (if the player controller gets better, the AI gets that improvement at the same time) avoiding to have too much different scripts.

This will allow to have the same weapon system that the player has for example, allowing to the AI to change between weapons, drop or pick them, use pickups too, take ammo, etc.... and of course, remove the floating pistol, dropping the weapons of an npc if him dies for example.

Btw, I have already made split screen multiplayer to my another videogame project, with multiple gamepads at the same time, using the same input manager system that this asset with some modifications (I can't wait to show that project, but it is too alpha yet). So soon, these modifications will be added to the asset as well, to allow multiple players in the same game (can't wait to gravity combats zone with weapons.....note to my self.....quake demo style for that update.....xd)

Regards.

neodotca likes this.
  45. sr388

sr388

Remember dead space?....pepperidge farm remembers....xd

Now seriously, my idea for zero gravity right now is to add an option to control the player like in dead space 2 zero gravity zones (though this image is from dead space 3), allowing free movement in the scene, with zones with and without gravity. And with that, any other feature that I could think or other people suggest for gravity control (I love gravity control).

DeadSpace-Graficos-2.jpg
    Maybe this is the same that you have in mind? Tell me it is this or other thing.

Regards.

neodotca likes this.
  46. kottabos

kottabos

Currently working on a space game and that sort of control would be great, and only suggestion I can think is for zero G just having that as the default rather then zones .... or else I'm gonna need a really big zone lol. but that all depends on how you make it I guess. And any idea on when that sort of feature might be coming? is it something ti expect in an upcoming update or something I'll have to wait a while for? either way awesome work so far, keep up the great work.

47. sr388

sr388

Hi again @kottabos. Sorry for the time to reply, I haven't been in house for almost two days.

Of course, both options will be included, with zones where you will be able to activate or disable manually and others where is enabled and disabled according to the place where you are, with triggers for example (in a similar way to dead space 2).

This feature will be include in the upcoming updates, after the next one, which will bring more options, better working and workflow, bugs fixes, any thing necessary for the the current systems and full documentation. After that, there will be a few more updates to bring all the features in the roadmap of this year (you can see in the main post of this forum), turning the version of the asset to 2.4.

Regards.

48. kottabos

kottabos

very coo, I look forward to seeing them added, and keep up the great work you got an awesome asset here

sr388 likes this.
  49. vertigostudios

vertigostudios

Not purchased it yet, but all I can say is wow !

I'm very interested to see how far the AI combat systems go (ww2 military toon style)

Seek and destroy, take cover, patrolling, line of sight then attack, sound awareness IE investigate, top down camera

Im currently using the
    Sci Fi Top Down Game Template

50. sr388

sr388

Hi @vertigostudios

Thanks for your interest, no pressure, buy when you consider it is good enough. Yeah, I want to try different AI systems and find a way to work them togheter and make them as "smart" as possible. Also a top down camera is planned and a fixed camera (like in resident evil) is half done, for this I need to add weapon control with mouse movement.

Btw, I post here an answer from a question of one user:

"I will start to work in the new documentation this week and trying to have it ready in less that two weeks. But when half of it is complete (taking into account that the most importants parts will be added first, without letting out some part of a whole system like parts of the map or configurations in the weapons) I will upload to the forum and add a new update with the remaing bugs fixed and that doc.

I can totally understand that with out and updated doc, it can be difficult to configure some systems and it is totally my fault and I can't apology enough for it. I really hate not being able to make this doc yet, along with more tutorial videos and it is due to my barely free time. I can't wait to finish and quit my horrible current job which will be finished in a month.

Once that time comes, I will be able to focus most of my time in the asset, start to work in some new ideas too and my game project with some friends (which doens't take me too much time yet).

Send me what you have and I will tell you.

Also, I have started to prepare some parts of the asset to being able to add the local multiplayer system with split screen. I have already the multiple gamepad for the custom input manager of the asset, so now it is a matter of change some parts in the player, because the asset wasn't made taking into account more that one player at the same time. But this will be easy and won't take too much time.

But before make anything of this, the doc and the bugs fixing is the only thing that matters now
    ."

I would like to know, after this update, what do you prefer first?
    • Better npc AI.
    • Local multiplayer with split screen and support of multiple gamepads.
    • Better weapon system for player, vehicles and AI.
    • AI for vehicles and its weapons.
    • Others (tell about it).
    I think that I will make a poll for this.

Regards.

neodotca likes this.