Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.6%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

30.0%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.2%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.0%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.1%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.5%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.6%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.4%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.2%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Yeah that and Command Bunkers with sliding doors but big enough to get a hovertank in then wow that would be brilliant

2. sr388

sr388

@Vampyr_Engel You have talked about some games (or some game genre), can you post some video to have a better vision of those ideas? I haven't played too much games with a similar style, and some videos always help.

Regards.

3. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

OK No Problem

4. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

OK lets start with the trailer for Battlezone 98 Redoux The Genre is F.P.S/R.T.S Hybrid its a bit of a rare mix of a game

Battlezone Store Page on Steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/301650/Battlezone_98_Redux/

Now I have tried to get a good gameplay video of it on Youtube but well ... actually get the game its very very cheap on Steam right now
    Battlezone 98 Redux Let's Play 1| Red Arrival - First Mission

Battlezone II Combat Commander
    Might have to try getting it on Ebay good news it works on Ebay and Windows 7 sometimes) though you may need a patch
    Battlezone 2 HD Gameplay Mission 1

This was a bit before Battlezone
    Uprising Join or Die Gameplay and Overview

Uprising Steam Sore Game PageSteam Store Page
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/465360/Uprising_Join_or_Die/
    Uprising 2: Lead and Destroy - Intro & Training Mission 1

Uprising 2: Lead and Destroy Game Page store
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/514050/Uprising_2_Lead_and_Destroy/

Empyrion: Galactic Survival Gameplay - #1 - A New Beginning- Let's Play
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8nt5sJbGo0
    Sorry about the gameplay video on this well the commentator still this is a gameplay video and its more of a modern game its not and fps/rts it is a planetary sandbox(Thats right d=it is not on a flat dynamic terrain its on an actual cyberplanet) Here is the game page
    Empyrion - Galactic Survival
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8nt5sJbGo0
    Empyrion - Galactic Survival: Alpha 6.0 Launch Trailer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61c1_iA2Ce0
    Tribes 2 is not a FPSRTS game it is a 1st person shooter with vehicles you can get that very cheap on Ebay as its fairly old
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribes_2
    Oh yes there is a link to download it for free on this video
    Tribes 2 gameplay
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6kYiS-pd48
    Tribes 2 Offical Game Play Video / Trailer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR3Ftt07mDQ
    There are more FPS/RTS games but I think I gave you the two best for now and some cool FPS games most of the are cheap or free so you can download them and play them and get a feel for them Hope this helps

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    neoshaman and sr388 like this.
  5. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

Great asset, however I'm getting a critical error when trying to create a new player via the tab Game Kit Controller> Create New Player. (Unity ver. 5.6). Kinda ruined my first impression but I bought in while the price is low to support. I'll try Unity 5.3 and see...

UnityException: get_dataPath is not allowed to be called during serialization, call it from OnEnable instead. Called from ScriptableObject 'DockArea'.
    See "Script Serialization" page in the Unity Manual for further details.
    CharacterCreatorEditor..ctor () (at Assets/Game Kit Controller/Scripts/Editor/CharacterCreatorEditor.cs:23)
    UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility:LoadSerializedFileAndForget(String)
    UnityEditor.WindowLayout:LoadWindowLayout(String, Boolean)

6. sr388

sr388

Thanks @Vampyr_Engel for the examples, impressive recopilation. I will take a look to all of them and tell the more interesting things that I have seen as soon as possible.

Hi @Wetw0rx, thanks for your purchase. Sorry for that, it seem that unity 5.6 has brought some changes to spicific parts of code. I want to upload the asset for 5.6 too, checking that there is no errors and remove possible new warnings. I will do it in a couple of weeks, which is when I will have more free time.

In unity 5.3.x should work fine. You can also build a new player without the custom window, just place the GKC_Prefab in scene (with a character or empty) and place your model inside the gravityCenter gameObject inside player controller (make sure the gravityCenter is empty, remove any content inside of it), then go to its parent, Character and press build player in the inspector Build Player. That will build the player like the menu would do.

Tell me if this works or not.

Regards.

7. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Oh and here is another survival sandbox space game called Space Engineers

Space Engineers Steam Store Page
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/244850/Space_Engineers/

Space Engineers Tutorial - Star System Episode 01 - Landing and Setting up Your First Base

This might be another Genre your Gravity Kit could do possibly I suggest you take a look at this one with the others as well please? Thank you

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    neoshaman likes this.
  8. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Oh yes and well I don't wish to over burden you but could you make it so that you can assign Joystick Controls separately to vehicles and player objects if the player wishes to thier taste?Personally I would have all Joystick U or Z axis throttles for forward and reverse, RZ for straffing left and right if in a hovercraft or hover vehicle or human if on foot And if in a spacecraft for the axis to rotate left and right and if in a atmospheric plane for it to sterer left and right and of course visa versa , the X axis could do the same except it steers the aircraft and rotates the spacecraft left and right and visa versa on and RZ is usually the pedals, Joystick U or Z inb the throttle axis on a joystick X is usually turn in vehicles especailly ground vehicles and humans/animals/aliens e.t.c and Y axis pitch up or look up and down or pitch down. And the Joystick Hat to look up and down. You can also use that axis to look all around as well

Its problably best to let the players to have a joystick menu and they can assign their sticks to whatever they want . Please? Thank you

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  9. neodotca

neodotca

I just tested the latest release (july 5) and all the bugs related to the weapons are still there, you can find these bugs when playing around picking, switching and dropping weapons and switching from TPS to FPS and back to TPS again...

After reading the feedback here on the forum and on the asset store, i would say that you know what are your priorities, before adding more features or doing anything else, please take care of the bugs, these bugs are urgent for people who publish games and not just testing or learning from the asset. The shooter mode is the most popular one.

After that i would say, before adding any other features, restructure and simplify some systems, like the weapon system, to make it more simple to use, more user-friendly, flexible and stable, like UFPS for example. When you fight an enemy, you want to be fast not having to press 3 buttons before you are ready to shoot. And you want also to be able to run and shoot at the same time, in TPS or FPS mode.

Having the opportunity to enable and disable all these features in the inspector is great, but there's more to do in this area, i would prefer to have all the gizmos, weapons, jetpack... all that stuff disable by default, when it's time to update the controller, i believe it's better to enable just what you need instead of having to disable everything you don't need and find out later that something is not working because you disabled something earlier that was related to something essential for the controller to work properly. :confused:

I know you are still busy with school, and i wish you the best luck with that BTW, but would like to know if you have a precise date for your come back, are you planing to work full time on the asset?

You have what it takes, your controller is very promising, it as the potential to compete with the big names and even be the top one. This controller is also different from the others, yes, it has a more rigid framework (for now), but at the same time, it is more sufficient, as it does not rely too much on third party systems, some people (like me) prefer having all the systems already integrated, at the end, i think it will pay in terms of stability and performance.

But you will need to work on the look also, a more professional design is important for people when buying. A new environment for the demo scene, slowly replace low poly object by more polish ones, new touch icons for the mobile. Don't be shy to look at what Opsive and Invector are doing.

Of course this is only my personal opinion, i hope that help, hope also that you come back soon and continue this amazing project, thanks! ;)

10. sr388

sr388

Hi @neodotca and @Vampyr_Engel.

Sorry for not answer before, but I am finishing the master degree project, which it will be finished on wednesday. After that, I have just to make a presentation about it the next week.

So in a week and a couple of days, I will back (finally) to the asset work, and like I said the first thing that I will do is to remove all the bugs, and complete the documentation. After that I will continue adding new features and more. From there, you should expect week post in this forum with progress and new ideas, like before.

Also, I want to read and answer to both of you about your last two post, which I will do on wednesday.

I miss this asset and this forum.

Regards.

rrahim likes this.
  11. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

neodotca Said
    I have to agree with neodotica on this you do have what it takes amd this assest could become the number one asset I think this assest could be used for making F.P.S./R.T.S Games, Pure F.P.S games and Pure R.T.S games plus a plethera of games as this package has it all. I wish you well in your endeavors on your Masters Degree Project I am sure it will be excellent judgomg ny your work on this assest alone.

I look foward to your answer posts on Wednesday till then keep up the excellent work

12. JohnGallet

JohnGallet

When I click on Create Character, nothing happens. No error, the windows does not open. The demo is impressive, but apart from that, if I cannot create a character, it is a problem. Anyone else had this problem?
    error:
    Code (csharp):
    2. UnityException: get_dataPath is not allowed to be called from a ScriptableObject constructor (or instance field initializer), call it in OnEnable instead. Called from ScriptableObject 'CharacterCreatorEditor'.
    3. See "Script Serialization" page in the Unity Manual for further details.
    4. CharacterCreatorEditor..ctor () (at Assets/Game Kit Controller/Scripts/Editor/CharacterCreatorEditor.cs:23)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  13. Harlekino71

Harlekino71

I do not work either :(
    He writes two errors:

get_dataPath is not allowed to be called from a ScriptableObject constructor (or instance field initializer), call it in OnEnable instead. Called from ScriptableObject 'CharacterCreatorEditor'.
    UnityEngine.Application:get_dataPath()
    CharacterCreatorEditor:.ctor() (at Assets/Game Kit Controller/Scripts/Editor/CharacterCreatorEditor.cs:24)

UnityException: get_dataPath is not allowed to be called from a ScriptableObject constructor (or instance field initializer), call it in OnEnable instead. Called from ScriptableObject 'CharacterCreatorEditor'.
    CharacterCreatorEditor..ctor () (at Assets/Game Kit Controller/Scripts/Editor/CharacterCreatorEditor.cs:24)

These should be improved. Anybody's idea?
    Otherwise it is a very good system, there are many ideas :)

JohnGallet likes this.
  14. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Sorry for the time to reply, I needed a couple of days to rest a little bit or my head would explode xd.

Do you mean to touch joysticks, gamepad controller or both? I think that you talk about both. Yes, I want to give more control options, allowing to customize them as you need, this will be checked too.

I will work again in the asset the next weekend. Like you said, I will focus first in remove bugs, check performance, make the documentation and improve the current systems in the asset, to make them more fexible.

After that, I will make a full roadmad of this asset, add more features and systems along with improve the looking, make a better demo (a corridor style is very useful, showing feature by feature).

My idea is to work on this asset (and new ones, I have a few more planned too) more time than before, because I will take a time in my life (I don't really like the company where I am right now, and I will leave it very soon) to work as asset developer along with a game project, so you can expect a better work and more updates in this forum and the assets. I see the potential in this asset, and it can be improved much more.

It happened to another user too. Are you using unity 5.6, right? It seem that they made changes in the code. I will make another asset version for unity 5.6 and forwards to fix this.

Until then, there is another way to change the model:

You can also build a new player without the custom window, just place the GKC_Prefab in scene (with a character or empty) and place your model inside the gravityCenter gameObject inside player controller (make sure the gravityCenter is empty, remove any content inside of it), then go to its parent, Character and press build player in the inspector Build Player. That will build the player like the menu would do.

Another solution is use the asset in unity 5.3.x, you can install different version of unity in the same pc.

Don't worry, any kind of bug will be removed very soon.

Regards.

15. Harlekino71

Harlekino71

Thanks for the reply :) I use version 5.6.1 from Unity.

Yes, it works with GKC_Prefab, I found this solution when I read the forum.

Regards

16. JohnGallet

JohnGallet

Using Unity 2017.1.0f3. It is the official release from unity right now.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  17. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Excellent, I think it would be best so that people could program thier game or let the players have the game to how they wish to have it and I meant all so yeah I meant the one hand one keyboard Joysticks the H.O.T.A.S joysticks of which I have several and gamepads

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  18. sr388

sr388

Yes, sorry, I forgot to say 5.6 and above. Unity 2017 should have that same change. I will make another version for 2017 too, so I give a try to the new unity version too. Until that, you can use the solution from my previous message.

Well, I suppose that those controllers are compatible with the current version, the bad part is that I haven't them to try, but yeah, I will try to make as usable and customizable as possible. Also, with controllers I have thought a way to make it more customizable, to configure any controller scheme, no matter what gamepad could be. For example, the buttons number for 360 and one controller are a little different, so this can solve that problem.

19. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Great I think if you look at those games I posted everywhere I am not sure if you did especially Battlesone I thibk you will get a good idea of how to make it so that players can configure thjer wn gamepadsand joysticks to whatever they what.

Oh yes you can get them second hand on ebay If your on a budget I would suggest you get s Thrustmaster T Flight H.O.T.A.S and a Saitek X45 with 2 joystick hat controls and .four axis controls However if your budget can stretch to it then get the new Thrustmaster T16000M H.O.T.A.S It has five axises, 2 Hat controls,and 30 buttons so you could work out everything from there iff you need any advice on them send me a private message on here or email me at vampyregames@yahoo.co.uk I will give you my Skype

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    sr388 likes this.
  20. BryanO

BryanO

Great asset and smorgasbord of capabilities and features - just stunning! Ive been trolling this forum for a year or so and wanted to chime in because right now I know bugs are being stomped and key architecture can be reconsidered.

Using Unity 2017.1.0f3
    Here is the default state I suggest most everyone would like to see this controller
    create when the "Build Player" button is pushed.
    • No additional powers other than walking jumping and crouching.
    • All weapons disabled by default with pickups required to enable and also to equip modular exotic powers with associated UI.
    • Double jump and fall damage enabled by default.
    So there's a pickup for the rocket pack and a pickup for flying and a pickup for gravity powers and a pickup
    for the time bullet. You get the drift - core functions of movement we all use then pickups and a top level checkbox menu to enable exotics - the pickups and the check box add the HUD for the specific power or capability.

Further suggestions:
    Ik populates automatically for all weapon placement - both equipped and unequipped.
    If the bones are not found in the skeleton by name then a dedicated IK skeleton panel is made available
    (Like the ragdoll maker only for IK) - if an individual weapon IK is updated it overrides this master IK.
    I also suggest a couple default equip / unequip animation options as an alternative rather than the weird twisty IK animation system for slinging weapons - the ik for aiming and shooting is amazing BTW!

Wish List:
    Pickups required to enable powers and keyboard and touch controls that enable on pickup.
    (While we are making a wish list - stealth power ala GITS pretty please :D ) Also a clickable hud display for all available powers and weapons on one screen that is enabled by pickups. Please make gun models easy to replace whole via a single mesh in the weapon configuration panel rather than rooting in the hierarchy.

In closing:
    Ive been rooting around in this asset for a long time and configuration is difficult - simply disabling a script related to a function you don't want doesn't seem to work - and many functions require several steps that must be discovered via trial and error to make them go away - I suggest as others have to start from a basic model and allow users to add functionality rather than trying get your users to disable functions that are interrelated.

Thanks again for your wonderful work!

neodotca and sr388 like this.
  21. hopeful

hopeful

@sr388 - Not a requirement by any means, but if you're interested, you might try reconfiguring the asset to use the Playable API, which is now official as of Unity 2017.1.

sr388 likes this.
  22. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Finally, I am free .....FREE.

Well, actually, I am free since a couple of days, but I really needed a rest, now that the master degree is over. But anyway, I am going to work in the asset right now.

There is a lot of stuff to do. Like it was said some days ago, I will check every system, remove any bug and make improvements in the current asset while at the same time, every system is added and explained in the documentation. Also, I will try to improve the flexibility and usability of the asset for this update.

After that, I will start to add new features from a roadmap that I will add in this forum in a couple of days. This roadmap will show features that will be added this year and the next (I have a hugh list of features to add which I want to check and decide the order to work on it).

Yes, I will start to check one by one of those videos and get the idea of them, to get as many ideas as possible. I will check those controllers too, thanks.

Very complete review of the asset. I couldn't thank you enough for this kind of feedback, is priceless. Yes, this configuration will be done, making the initial state of the asset in the basic mode, will all the extra features disabled by default, so if you want to add an exotic element, just enable it, instead of disable most of them.

Of course, I already thought about this system instead of configure one by one for the weapons, though there are some configurations for every weapon that can not be combined, but still sounds much better. There are some parts in the weapon system that can be simplified and highly improved, adding more editor options to make it more easy to customize, along with the weapons in the inventory.

Planned to do too, similar to powers, the weapons list will be configurable in game too, and there will be pickups to unlock powers, a level system with experience (so they can be unlocked with that too) and the option to improve the powers/weapons with this experience/money, increasing their stats. Also the weapons will have an attachment system with lasers, sights, magazines, grenade launcher and more exotic elements for irregular weapons, like a gravity gun, portal gun, grappling hook, weapons that shoot any scanned object in the scene (with different results), etc... (all suggestion about any kind of weapon/power is very welcome).

Even pickups for vehicles will be added (similar to mario kart), to make it invulnerable, get boost for a few seconds, more powerful ammo, etc... so you can get a vehicle combat system (I can't wait to this and split screen, it has to be very cool, including the gravity system and other powers xd).

This will be done aswell, allowing to disable directly an script if you don't want to use it, and in the documentation everything will be explained, I promise. The by default basic state when the asset is download sounds very good, I will include another demo with everything configured like this, so you can decide which of them you want to use.

Thanks again for this amazing comment, it helps a lot, not only to me, but for any other present/future user.

I want to try unity 2017 as soon as possible, I didn't know about this new feature, but it looks very interesting and at some point, the asset needs to change according to the improvements of unity itself. So yeah, I will check it along with other new stuff of 2017.

As soon as I get any progress for the new update, I will be back.

Regards.

neodotca and BryanO like this.
  23. hopeful

hopeful

Just to give a heads up on it, an experimental Playables API has been around since 5.3, I think. Now it's official, and I believe it's going to be widely used. Basically, it allows you to inject animations. It can do more, but I would say that's the gist of it.

What this means is that instead of creating this huge and complicated animation controller that is intended to cover every possible situation, you can put animations or an animation controller on an object, and when the player interacts with it, the animations for using the object are loaded.

So if a player equips a weapon, suddenly they "know" how to use it. Or when they approach a computer keyboard, suddenly their hands know a typing animation.

It simplifies things greatly, and I believe it makes animations asset-bundle-friendly for the first time, which is helpful for games that provide paid unlocks and expansions.

Each slot on the action bar, for instance, can carry the attack animation - or controller for different phases of the attack (wind up / throw / follow through) - and can blend these into the current idle state and layer mask. This, for instance, would help re-use attack animations when grounded, flying, jumping, or mounted.

Audio - either separate or with the animations - also can run as a playable. So the SFX can be set up right there with the attack.

I think this is the way of the future for Unity.

24. sr388

sr388

That sounds really cool, I will update the asset to use this system for the 2017 version. Also, any other new system in 2017 will be included eventually. I think that something about new particles system were added. I already wanted to improve the particles in the asset a little bit, for example adding those in the unity essential asset.

Btw, I have already found a bug in the weapons, when these were disabled before start the game and you pick one, it didn't worked and the arms did weird sutff (classic IK things xd). This was due to the custom editor didn't update correctly the changes in the inspector of the weapons. This is already fixed.

If I found a couple more of these "medium" bugs, I will make a quick update with the fixes.

neodotca and rrahim like this.
  25. BryanO

BryanO

Thanks for your kind response.

This may just me - but I cant seem to figure out how to use the procedural mapping function to map my level.

26. sr388

sr388

I will explain it this week. There are some parts that I want to improve first, due to some things that I added to my master degree, where I used the same map system but with a lot of new things to make an indoor positioning system (I will post some gifs about it too).

Regards.

BryanO and Brandon_Powell like this.
  27. Brandon_Powell

Brandon_Powell

you are really one of my favorite asset developers, i know you mentioned doing a grapple system, i just though i would throw in that a thrust/glide system paired to it like the arkham/just cause games or the attack on titan anime would be insanely cool

also, really hoping the giant eagles are still on the roadmap

thanks for all the hard work, past, present, and future, can;t wait to see where this asset goes next!

StevenPicard and sr388 like this.
  28. petercoleman

petercoleman

sr388,

Really pleased to see that the asset may be given more attention to update and improve it....

The asset has a vast arrange of game content dynamics and I would like to see most of all the ability for users to more easily apply them to their own "Content assets or media" replacing the defaults with their own meshes, models and so on which at the moment seems to be a major undertaking because of the obvious complexity of that and the existing systems.....

Most of all I would like to see the main game features of Player and AI bots (enemies, friends and alike) made easier to swap out for users own Characters (create player, create enemy) and improved game dynamics and interaction for AI Bots during game play with improved AI behaviors.

:)

29. sr388

sr388

Thanks man, anything like this always make me really happy. Yeah, definitely a hook system will be added (don't forget just case 2 and 3, a control so dinamic is one of my wishes to acomplish).

And about the eagle, of course, animated "vehicles" is in the to do list (along with a lot of new type of vehicles too).

Being able to get back to the asset is like enter again in a toy shop haha. I am really happy to work again in the asset. These last months I have literally 0 time and I hated that, but now ....well, I still have not so much free time as I would like, but I will do my best.

And yes, the last big update need some checkings and all will be more configurable and easy to use, the beta state will be remove very soon. The replacement of the models will be explained in the doc too (every system is being checked one by one).

And you are right, the AI will be much improved, easy to build (like the player) and with more weapons and combat options (along with ICE and emerald integration) I have learned too some tricks for navmesh with the master project, so that will be included too (I will post the gifs of that project this weekend).

Regards.

Brandon_Powell likes this.
  30. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Glad your finally FREE sr388 LOL yes it is a great ssest I can see great things for it and I wqould say rather than having to disable features in the script and have people go through the script to disaSo people can configure thier games as they wish easily without having to go through the script and changing something by accident in the script which makes the whole thing stop workimnble them why not make it so you can disable them in the Inspector which would be much easier So for example you don't wish the player to have extraordinary powers then you can just turn it of in the inspector and so on. Yes I can see this being used for a )game similar to Dungeon Keepers As it doesn't only have to be futuristic games it can be used on ) But with actual planets you can travel on and conquer the surface

Yes its an idea I am having thanks to your excellent asset

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    neodotca and StevenPicard like this.
  31. sr388

sr388

Of course, I will try to make the scripts in that way too, so they can both being disabled or removed from the object without further problems, but also including the demo scene and prefabs with only the basic parts enabled, so you can start to activate different parts according to the type of game that you want to do.

Btw, I have just make some initial tests with the new navmesh system for unity 5.6 and 2017, and it looks that finally they have added navigation for walls and ceiling, solving the problem with AI navigation with the gravity sytem.

I will make a test for the AI and the new navmesh and see if it works properly, it looks very promising, and this will allow to finally use AI for npcs, automatic driven (or with an npc) vehicles, bosses to any surface.....oh yeah xd.

Also, I am making the feature list for 2.4 update, as soon as I get it done along with the roadmap, I will post it.

Regards.

hopeful and BryanO like this.
  32. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

I wqonder if this navmesh is good for A.I navigating spheres ? If so that would soilve a lot of my problems making a spherical FPS/RTS and spherical FPS Game i can hardly ait I hope these tests are successfulI can hardly wqait looking forwqard to your 2.4 update it promises to be very exciting and interesting

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  33. christougher

christougher

I've successfully done it. With 6 different nav mesh surfaces facing different directions with Lots of navmeshLinks at the seams I've had succesfull AI pathfinding on a sphere. There are several posts about it in the navigation section of the forums with a few vids. The seams have not been too fluid in their transitions though. I'm far from an expert though!

hopeful likes this.
  34. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Really? Because I want an A.I that can drive a vehiclelets sat a hovertank to a base on lets say the South Pole of a planet and attack that base now if the vehicle gets destroyed I want the A.I pilot to eject from the vehicle and unless it has to fight it flees back to base or goes to a safe area on the planet to where it can be picked up if the [layer sends in a recovery air or ground craft As my game is going to deal with a basic Solar system wwith rocky planets and ,ppms namely our own well it wouldn't be Earthlike so it would have to deal with high canyons and mountains and hills I do winder if this new navmesh system can do that Can it?

35. christougher

christougher

I definitely ran into trouble the more uneven the terrain became, especially towards the edges of each individual Nav mesh as the uneven angles occasionally would be too high from the "up" of the Nav mesh. A great deal of that can be mitigated by using a larger max angle for the different nav agents and not going too crazy on the rockiness of the terrain. I have a modified scene from the 5.6 nav mesh git site I could send you that shows the basic concept of 6 nav mesh surface covering an entire sphere.

One of the biggest drawbacks is the new nav mesh system has no built in method of generating nav mesh links... I use one of the prefab painting assets to place a ton of them at the seams and it worked decent...

hopeful likes this.
  36. arie1994

arie1994

Interesting asset
    Are there still many of bugs(like the ik bugs)?
    Can it be used with uma 2 procedural character?- create ragdoll and ik in real time.

37. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Ban it go up and down slopes if they are not too steep? To guess it would have to be the player Go on the higher slopes and the A.I go on lower slopes Yes send me it my email is vampyregames@yahoo.co.uk

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  38. sr388

sr388

Hi @Vampyr_Engel and @christougher, I have seen some videos and I want to try to make the AI able to move from surface to surface without nav mesh links, using the gravity system of the asset. I will make these tests tomorrow and see if they work or not.

I hope unity add these elements automatically in scene with the navigation, though it could need some configuration after that.

I think the gravity system will be very improved with this new navigation system and maybe, new mechanics could be added for it, there is a lot of potential.

Hi @arie1994, any bug related to the update 2.3.6 is being removed right now, I am already working in the IK, to make it simpler, better and easier to configure. Before the update 2.4, which will bring a lot of new stuff, there will be an update focused in remove all the bugs, general improvement for all the systems, full documentation and minor additions.

Regards.

Vampyr_Engel, christougher and BryanO like this.
  39. neodotca

neodotca

About the bugs, i suggest you to send me a copy for testing before you upload to the asset store, i know where most of them are, bugs related to IK, weapons, die menu, footstep.

I think it would be a good idea to always develop the asset using the latest version of Unity, this way everything/everybody will be up to date and of course, it will eliminate problems related to people using different versions.

Here’s my short wish list, in priority order

- fix all bugs :p
    - a more simple weapon system (grab the gun and shoot)
    - having the player running while aiming
    - 2 menus, 1 for mobile, 1 for pc (just disable the menu you are not using)
    - a save system for mobile
    - more enemies AI, using different weapons, maybe a mech, a creature:eek:, monster:mad:, all that stuff, the more the better :D

sr388 likes this.
  40. sr388

sr388

Yes, if the nav mesh tests work, it is very probably that the minimum version for the asset is 5.6. I have made a little test to make the AI able to follow the player toward the wall, the gravity system will be added to the AI and see how they work togheter. I will tell about it asap.

Most of those are between my priorities, I will try to be as fast as possible in checking every system, everyday it gets better.

Regards.

41. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Would you be using nav points instead then? I know that Sebastian Laguehos team's Ludum Dare project ''This Little Piggy'' Game

He got A.I to walk well run om the planet by making nav points an by shooting a raycast through the planet and yes he is a famous Unity User. Also I managed to make a very simple A.I that could run after the player and run around a sphere/planet without nav mesh points you could change it to friendly or enemy A.I but need to know more to make it stop and shoot the player and also for it to get in and out of vehicles both surface and airial/spacial vehicles.

I also wanted it to go to an enemy base and attack the players base or vica versa or even other A. i bases and vehciles and drivers /pilots but well not tht great a programmer just beginning still in C# and JavaScript

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Brandon_Powell likes this.
  42. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

So I got the character creator to work in Unity ver 5.6.1... kind of. If you press the Ctrl key after clicking the Create Player tab, the creator window appears and works for the most part. You'll have to maximize the window to get to the Create Player button at the bottom but once done, the created player works as intended. I did get a much more reliable experience when importing the asset without the project settings folder.
    After messing around with this asset nonstop for the last couple weeks, I find it to be even better than I originally thought. That said, I would love to get my hands on more documentation, especially for some of the elements that are still a mystery to me. For example, setting up custom mini maps and some of the AI behaviors. Is there already a way to have a friendly AI ride in a vehicle with you? It's probably not too hard to set up but I'm very interested in expanding the squad features for my project.
    I've had some mixed results replacing the meshes on the vehicles and NPCs but I love the IK positions and HUD display for the aircraft. Having the option to turn on/off some of the vehicle animations would be good too as I have some fixed wing aircrafts that I would like to turn the wing animation off for and retain the provided meshes as colliders (also not too hard to set up). While on the subject of animations, I would like to shoot while crouching (maybe even prone) or while in the air. That way, ducking behind cover can be a thing. Currently, I can crouch and shoot in 1st person but not 3rd person and if I switch from 1st to 3rd person while armed, strange IK voodoo happens.
    Also a long range sniper rifle with a silencer attachment and advanced optics (thermal/night vision) dual render type scope (like the rocket launcher) with zoom and range finder. Some proximity/ remote controlled/ timed mines (I think we can already sort of build these with some of the provided systems but haven't tried), hand thrown frag/flash/smoke grenades with parables (like the barrel launcher) and maybe a flame thrower would round out the arsenal nicely. A dropship to shuttle our Ethans around in.This along with some clever AI options and we could easily set up some pretty complex tactics (AI snipers, breach and clear, flank, cover, etc). Maybe break up the AI into classes (pilot, soldier, medic)...
    Any guidance would be much appreciated. I've been studying your code and think I may be able to work most of it out but I don't wanna go kicking my clumsy ass feet around in there too much lol. Playable API sounds amazing and so do all the great upcoming features (+1 for zeroG, weapon attachments, magnetic crane and inventory improvements). Glad to hear you've got some time again. By the way, congratulations on the masters degree!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    neodotca and Brandon_Powell like this.
  43. Artur7

Artur7

@sr388, I bought your package, it looks awesome. But I have one problem - see it on a video -
    - camera is changing its field of view to maximum (don't know why, when I use Ethan it is ok). Also it doesn't follow the player
    Also, I have lots of errors with "Invalid OpenGL context for rendering" - restarting Unity or resetting Unity's layout doesn't help. Im on newest Unity - 2017.1.0f3

44. sr388

sr388

Yeah, I really like Sebastian work, following him and his videos for a long time. I think that system only would work in that kind of planets, and there will be more situations where the AI won't be able to reach the target, though is a very clever solution.

Navigation is a tricky part and I still being a little noob in that field, but hopefully, unity will improve its navigation system, taking into account that they have added walls and ceilings, so I would expect better spherical nav mesh.

I haven't been able to make more test with the new nav mesh and the gravity system, but I will try to make them this week.

Hi Wetw0rx, and thanks for the comment.

Unity 5.6 will be the minimum version for the next update, to being able to add the new nav mesh system from that version into the asset, so the problem with the character creator window in 5.6 will be solved in the upcoming update before 2.4, which will bring lot of fixes and improvements.

I really understand what you say about doc, I hate it too, becuase just when I wanted to work on it with the releasing of the update 2.3.6, all my free time just vanished, until a couple of weeks ago. So now, at the same time that I am checking system by system in the current version, I fix any bug, improve any part that could need some aditional work, and explain it in the doc.

And yes, the weapon system will be improved as weel, adding the actions that you said, like aiming in crouch position.

Also, a lot of more weapons will be added, from more real one, like sniper, grenade launcher, flame thrower (I love the napalm smell in the morning) to scifi type, like portal, with powers, hooks, dual weapons, weapons that shoot mines, traps, lasers, bouncing bullets, bullets that cross surfaces, melee weapons, etc... along with an attachment system ingame. And I will add an option to use weapons and powers togheter (similar to bioshock). Feel free to tell me any kind of weapon you would like.

Right now, there is not AI that go inside vehicles with the player, but it will be added, along with vehicles that come to the player position, shoot at enemies or any target, and npcs which can drive too. And with this, more vehicles will be added, including spatial ships where you can place other vehicles inside of it too.

I need to decide the last features for the roadmap and post it here once and for all haha.

Hi Artur7 and thanks.

Yes, unity 5.6 and 2017 have changed some parts in the code and it seems that the character creator window doesn't work on it, due to the load of project resources in the editor window haved changed. But this will be fixed very soon. Can you send me and image or the text in the console when you create the player? I assume that you are using the manual way, in the Build Player inspector.

Btw, I still working in the weapon system, simplifying the projectiles code and improving the previous shake camera system, allowing to have external shakings in third and first person from anything you need, an explosion, damage, a long fall, with a very configurable inspector to create shake states with options to try ingame and a decreasing value to fade the shake smoothly once it is over. Here a gif:

Animation4.gif

Also, the list of improvements and bugs fixed:

• Weapons disabled when the game starts disabled correctly, allowing to pick up them in the game.
    • Combat system code improved.
    • Input manager improvements and the touch joysticks now use the UI system.
    • Better map system creator, allowing to edit every part of the map easier.
    • Rotation in the player's spine now works better with any model.
    • Auto shot for weapons by a tag list.

Finally, I want to make a short video, showing all the features from the last big update, because there is not video about it yet.

Regards.

neodotca likes this.
  45. Artur7

Artur7

@sr388, What exact error you want to see? Because mostly I get "invalid opengl context for rendering", more than 999 times

46. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Great though I must admit I would like to know how it is done do you think you could show me how you do this type of navigation please? As I would like to do some tests I think it might be useful for say a rocky ice planet or moon

47. neoshaman

neoshaman

Everything about the new nav system in 3mn and less if you 2x it

neodotca and hopeful like this.
  48. sr388

sr388

Mmmmmm that sounds weird. I will make a test of the asset in unity 2017, and see if it shows the same problem with the character as unity 5.6.

Of course, as soon as I make the test, I will show the results here, but this time, the AI will follow me to the end of the wolrd....or scene xd.

@neoshaman, thanks for the video. I was talking more about the navigation through the level, the code itself, for pathfinding algorithms and similar stuff, which adding ceilings and walls, increase its difficulty even more, though I would like to see more about it some day. I have made some A* algorithm, but nothing too fancy or usable here.

But the new nav mesh system looks very promising, I can't wait to add it to the current AI.

Btw, this is part of the list for the update 2.4. It is not the full list, but you can get an idea of what will have (it is not in an specific order):
    • Better player rotation when the player aims in third person
    • UI touch joysticks
    • Projectile scripts unified
    • Laser scritps unified
    • Enemy and friend turrets simplified and improved, with a better weapon system to customize
    • Ability to control npcs and elements in the game (like in the mario oddissey)
    • Map system improvements, like show a path to a target, search a place in the map, calculate paths through buildings, save places, etc...
    • Show in the map the player noises, like steps, shoots, ....
    • Powers and weapons usable at the same time (like bioshock)
    • More configurable projectile behaviour (similar to a bullet hell)
    • Circular weapon selection menu (similar to doom 2016), change between the current weapons and the stored in any moment
    • Dual weapons, more normal weapons (like sniper, grenade launcher, flame thrower ), scifi weapons (like in dead space), grapping hook, weapons that shoot mines, traps, lasers, bouncing bullets, bullets that cross surfaces, melee weapons, ...
    • Weapons that can shoot anything that you scan in the level, like boxes, vehicles, npcs, other weapons, anything with rigidbody (it has to be very cool xd)
    • Attachment system for weapons ingame with sights, laser, magazines, etc...
    • Improved AI, which can listen to player noises, can pick up weapons, ammo, heal and give pick ups to the player
    • AI able to drive vehicles
    • AI neutral which attack if you attack them
    • Inventory improved to store weapons, ammo, heal, ....
    • Store in game to buy and sell objects
    • Temporal pick ups for vehicles, to improve its velocity, ammo, weapon power, etc... (similar to mario kart)
    • More vehicles and improved weapon system for them
    • Vehicles will launch the player outside of them on high impacts
    • Race system with AI
    • Fixed camera system (it was started in the previous update) similar to silent hill and resident evil
    • Top down camera
    • Vault where store your inventory (similar to resident evil) working between scenes
    • Experience and level system
    • Improved save system and checkpoints
    • Improved bullet time
    • Change between different characters in the game (similar to GTA V)
    • Console system to write commands for the game and for computer devices in the game, for a mechanic like open a door by code, or trigger some events
    • Better particles for everything
    • Weak spots visible with the scanner
    • Better footstep system
    • Better demo scene
    • Camera mode for captures and galery
    • Full body awareness
    • More powers
    • Better gravity system
    • Procedural rail system with trains and more type of vehicles, like tanks, spacial ships, etc...
    • Procedural and customizable wires, with uses like plugs (similar to half life)
    • Gravity zero like astronaut mode
    • Quest/missions system with info
    • Enemies waves system
    • General improvements to all the systems
    • And of course, any bug or issue fixed

Regards.

neodotca and rrahim like this.
  49. neoshaman

neoshaman

That's ambitious lol, feels like the perfect project to do the everything game wit out the hassle to actually make a game lol, aka tinkerer heaven! I spend so much time tinkering prototype in a sandbox I kind of envy you to have found this format.

I'm not complaining either, I already bought it, I will abuse it to make hobby everything game too lol.

I think you have already more system than most AAA game.

sr388 likes this.
  50. hopeful

hopeful

@sr388 - Just curious, but after watching several Unity tutorial videos on the new navmesh usage, I'm left wondering: how would you guide flying NPCs? By using waypoints and obstacle avoidance?

And then what about jumping NPCs? That sounds very complicated.