Search Unity

50% OFF Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.6%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

29.9%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.1%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.1%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.3%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.4%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.7%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.5%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.7%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Cool so there is that option so can you set that for A.I friendly and enemy pilots and was wondering as I am doing an R.T.S if it would be possible for the factories to spawn the a.i pilots inside their vehicles?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  2. sr388

sr388

I have to improve the AI first, but yes, characters (enemies or friends) will be able to get in and get off from vehicles.

3. neoshaman

neoshaman

I cave in and bought before the price increase ...
    Let see if I go anywhere with my planet terrain generation

sr388 likes this.
  4. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Cool that would be brilliant

5. TrevB69

TrevB69

I bought this asset recently and I absoluely love it so far. I do have a couple of questions:

Is it possible to have a weapon appear in the inventory when picked up rather than it being equipped automatically? (and you then equip from the inventory? There was mention earlier in this thread that a store/vendor feature would be added. Is this still going to happen?

6. sr388

sr388

Hi @TrevB69.

I have seen your review a couple of hours ago and answer there (asset store should notify to developers when a new review is added and users when a review is replied).

Anyway, here is the answer for the review and the suggestions:

"Thanks for your purchase and review TrevB69. Happy to hear you like it.

About the weapons, not yet, but I will add that option in the next update, similar to how powers are managed (drag & drop). For the inventory, I think that something like deus ex human revolution would work, to equip different weapons at the same time. I think that both options will be useful, so you can use what you need.

In the forum you can check the progress to the next update (as soon as I have something solid). Also any further suggestions are welcome.
    "

I forgot to mention about the store/vendor. Yes it will be included too. Next update will have different additions for weapons, attachments system included and new kind of weapons.

Regards.

7. TrevB69

TrevB69

Wow, that's great! thank you! I'm looking forward to the next update!

8. TrevB69

TrevB69

So I have another question:

With the aircraft controller, when you press F to activate the engines, the aircraft moves vertically a bit to take of and then flies forward. You don't seem to be able to control the actual speed/velocity other than pressing G and holding down for the airbakes to reduce your speed. Is there any way to actually setup a control so you can actually adjust the aircraft's speed properly? I have noticed that if you set Acceleration Speed in the inspector to 0 and then do something like accleratorSpeed = Input.GetAxis("Throttle"); in the script you can control this somewhat, but it doesn't work very well. Can you recommend a way to best handle this?

9. sr388

sr388

With the default controls, you can decrease the speed of the ship with G, increase with shift (it works like a turbo) or press F in the air to stop the aircraft.

It also has two type of controls, realistic, so for example, the ship falls if the velocity is too low and non realistic, so you can configure both controls. About your question, you can configure Max Engine Power to adjust the max velocity, so you can move in that range. An option to control the velocity manually will be added, so you can increase or decrease it and the speed doesn't back to its value like now (that is the type of control that you would like, I am right?)

I will check tomorrow that controller, to answer properly (I don't have the asset right now). The aircraft controller needs some extra functions, like barrel roll movements, invert direction and similar along with some polish (I want to improve all the current vehicles before add more to the asset).

Regards.

10. arnesso

arnesso

It looks awesome,
    Has anybody tried to solve unet or photon multiplayer solution ?
    I would be curious

11. sr388

sr388

Hi @arnesso and thanks.

Not yet, at least for my part. The steep before that is split screen multiplayer and then jump to the online (I would like to start this year).

Btw, I have added some improvements to the current map system and fixed some minor issues. Also, the build player system has been fixed too (weapons, jetpack and other parts weren't added correctly). An editor menu extension will be added to make easier the creation of the character (this will be applied later to NPCs).

This update will be uploaded this week.

Also, sorry for these days without new info in the forum. I still working in the master project and I barely have any free time. But in june, I will be able to get back to the asset.

Regards.

emperor12321 and rrahim like this.
  12. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

The new player creator has been added using an editor window, so now, you can set your own model with a couple of clicks. Here a gif:

Animation3.gif

The previous GKC_Prefab is removed (if it exists) and then an empty controller is created and the model is placed inside of it, adding all the objects needed.

The messages in the console is to remind that if you want to use the weapons, you need to assign the hands in the inspector of every weapon for the IK, but this is really quick to assign (you can assign both hands in all the weapons at once, just by selecting all the weapons).

This is due to a little problem with a custom class inside another custom class used for the IK in weapons, which it seems unable to assign both hands by code when the player is created (I have spent lot of time trying to solve it -.-). But I think that I will change a little how the hands work in the code, to simplify it and solve this issue. But this only means that you need to assign the hands in the inspector.

All this will be shown in the documentation for this update, which will include how to use the character creator and assign the weapons.

Regards.

Mark_01, StevenPicard, rrahim and 2 others like this.
  13. legionfrontier

legionfrontier

Greetings, I bought your asset a long time ago and I finally got some free time and decided to mess around with it but I will like to know if there is a way to get your updates without the need to wait the 15 days it takes for the assets to show updates in the asset store?, thanks anyway for time spend on it

14. sr388

sr388

Hi @hksyndicate.

Thanks for your purchase.

For my previous updates, the store usually takes between 2 to 4-5 days. I will upload this version before friday, I still need to add the new text to the doc (I need a tardis or longer days xd).

But for this kind of update, you can send me your invoice code and I can send you the new version.

Regards.

Brandon_Powell likes this.
  15. Brandon_Powell

Brandon_Powell

is anyone else having a problem with the turrets on the spaceship shooting at the ship when flying in 3rd person mode? IT appears that the targeting cursor reads the player vehicle, and then the turrets shoot you instead of whatever you hoped you were aiming at on the other side. .

16. sr388

sr388

Yes, that actually happens if the weapons aims toward its vehicle and it is due to the system to limit the vertical and horizontal rotation of the weapon turret, to avoid weird situations.

It is in the todo list to fix, and I think that using a raycastall or making the raycast ignore any collider of its vehicle, it will solve the issue (of course this will be solved in a close update). That doesn't happen in weapons which shoot forward the direction of the shoot transform (like the two gatling attached in front of the ship or the car) instead the direction of the camera. You can configure this in the inspector of the vehicle weapon system.

One temporal solution is to set the weapon in the center of the vehicle at the top, like the car in the demo. Also, you can set this option in the weapons that rotates toward the camera direction, shooting in the direction of the weapon, not the camera (it is the option Fire Weapon Forward). This means that it will be less acurate to shoot.

Btw, yesterday the update with the new character creator was uploaded so it will be released in a matter of days.

Regards.

Brandon_Powell likes this.
  17. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Oh yes sorry I haven't been too well so forgive me if this is already in the package I was wondering about commications and givng instructions to your A.I squada whether in space or in the aie or on the ground I was thinking of like either Wing Commanders one where you press C and commicate with whoever was your wingman but then I look at the Battlexone 2 communications system and you could command either one unit or all of the 10 units in your squad I was wondering if that gould be done in your package I don't know if using the Function Keys or just using the C key would be better I guess c so you could have more than 120 units under your command and if the vehicles could be split into Atrtack , Defense and Utilities and/ or Mining I was wondering could that be done please?

18. sr388

sr388

The current option to give orders to AI is for human type, where you can give different orders to everyone or the same for all.

In another udpate, AI for vehicles will be added too and the posibility to make npcs (allies or enemies) get in and off from vehicles, similar to halo 1 and 2 (the only I have played until now, thanks microsoft for bring them to PC...oh wait xd) you will be able to give orders to every friend that you have. Also, the number of orders will increase.

Btw, I have remade the touch joystick system, now they are inside the Canvas of unity, so they are UI elements, much better to use, easy to move and scale and they won't disappear sometimes for no reason like before.

Regards.

19. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Great thanks also checkout Battlezone 1 and 2 for int and out of vehicles Hopefully we will be able to look around in them using the Joystick Hat or D pads or when in Virtusl Reality Google Box Smartphones, or Occulus Rifts or other such devices Great can't wait for your next updates

sr388 likes this.
  20. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hello sr388,

The new Player Creator looks great!

I am considering purchasing the Game Kit Controller and would like to ask a few questions first....

1. Is there any documentation or video showing how to similarly set up AI allies and enemies and attach/set up weapons to all of these? Can we change the attack range of enemies? Can we set up events like make an enemy stop at an object to shoot player (hide spot)?. I am trying to find out how easy or difficult it is to get enemies set up?

I have looked at the available video tutorials I have seen but could not find specific info about setting up enemy AI's and there does not seem to be a full documentation. Any change I could read a manual if its up to date?

2. I understand your position with time as a single person developer of course but would like to ask if there is any ball park idea time frame you may have for some of the updates listed to come listed in the More features to come screen shot at the Unity Store page for the assets.....I am developing and have some quite large projects already made with
    Unity I am considering to integrate GKC with. Shooter/Modern/Sci-Fi and Fantasy projects so was particularly interested in the support to come for the first 4 listed items.

I would like to get the asset and support you and your work but should give consideration to if it will provide what I will need as I already buy too many assets which don't fit the bill as it were :)

Thank you.

Peter

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  21. sr388

sr388

Hi @petercoleman.

Thans for your interest and of course, I understand that you (or anyone else) need to know some things first.

1.- Not yet, but there is some reasons for it.
    • The last update (2.3.6) was insanely big, and just when I was ready to upload it, my free time was dramatically reduced, so the documentaiton is complete yet, but I am adding parts to it when I get some free time along with little update for the asset with fixes or some additions.
    • The other reason is that the current AI in the asset is oriented to be an example of how the damage detection, health and healing, etc... system works, along with a initial version of the AI, to get and idea of how will look. So right now, the AI hasn't a npc creator like players does, though the model and weapons can be changed throught manual actions. But of course this AI will be very improved, able to take more orders, work as a team, pick weapons from the enviroment along with ammo, health, etc... and there will be also an AI creator, similar to the player, so you can build any npc in seconds (the same creator will be add for weapons, to make easier to change its mode, create its prefab, the pickup object, etc...).
    • Fortunately, in a few weeks, my free time will be increased again, and I will be able to complete the documentation and make videos for every system in the asset. That is one of my main objectives right now, before add bigger features.
    Yes, you can change the attack radius of the AI and change its weapons (though they don't change between their avaliable weapons yet, but this will be added too).

2.- Do you mean if I have a roadmap for future updates? In that case, yes in the main page of this forum there is a list and also in the last picture of the asset in the store, showing some future features. Though, they are just a few, because I have to add a lot that I have written in a file, to show better what you can expect in the comming months/years. I am not 100% sure if the second question was that (tell me in other case).

Also, those type of games are most of the ones that I want to focus, adding features related to them (like I said, I would like to cover most features of most games that could be useful for any type of game).

Feel free to tell my any other doubts.

Btw, I have improved the player's upper body rotation when he is aiming and now, there is not extra configuration needed, just use the create window, assigns the weapons and it is ready to go, rotating the torso in a more natural way. Also, it works in any surface (in case the gravity power is enabled), with any model (before it was some problem if the spine bones hadn't the regular orientation) and with extra rotation for bigger weapons too. Here a gif:

Animation.gif
    Animation2.gif

This update (along with minor fixes and improvements) will be uploaded in a couple of days. And again sorry for these weeks of silence, I really hate not being able to work so hard in the asset.

Regards.

Mark_01 and hopeful like this.
  22. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi sr388,

Thanks very much for your timely reply which is appreciated.

I was not really concerned about having an "Auto" Enemy creator (manual is OK) though one might be helpful to users and as with any feature to your sales! and Enemies not changing weapons is fine - one will do per enemy type :) presuming one can have more than one Enemy type set up. e.g. enemy 1, enemy 2.

With regard to the roadmap-upcoming features list I was just asking if you had any idea when any of those things would become a reality, though I am quite sure you can't really say even at a guess from what I understand of your busy life :)

I am guessing enemies only have basic behaviors : e.g. walk path, attack player, shoot which is why I asked if it was possible to add via an event or any other in built out of the box method more behaviors at the moment? such as run away if health is low, stop and shoot from a specific target location? I need a decent/reasonable level of enemy AI behaviors so that's why I ask.

Lastly does the asset have support at the moment for the player to climb ladders? and possibly ledge climbing or moving along ledges? Worth asking these things so I know what i am letting myself in for.

As said I am working on making a Shooter and Fantasy Melee/swordsman type games for around two years with other assets but don't have acceptable Third Person Controller. I have tried some others but they are not appropriate for my specific needs which as a one man developer like yourself with little time in my case for the technicalities as I need to spend all my time creating/bilding levels, content and gameplay scenarios and all the rest that needs to be done which is enough for me in large complex levels. I need to leave the programming technicalities in the main to others like yourself.... Thus I appreciate very much your effort and concept of your asset to provide a wide variety of features and functions out of the box which is a winner if you can achieve it.

I will probably take the plunge at some time shortly (though I cant really afford it as I have spent too much on assets for a while) and get this as I would like to support the further development. If it does not fit the need for my current projects I can always start another I guess as I also want to develop an adventure - platformer type game and this should be OK for that purpose.

Thanks again

Peter

sr388 likes this.
  23. sr388

sr388

@petercoleman yeah, different kind of enemies with different and interchangeable weapons.

Of course, along with the roadamp, an estimated date for every feature would be useful too, I will think about it.

The AI will have that kind of behaviour, trying to make as customizable as possible, so you can get more agressive or pasive actions according to its health, the kind of weapons that is using, etc... all configurable by inspector. Like I said, the AI in the asset is in its initial state, but along with every update, it will be improved (and any suggestion feature and option about it is welcome).

About climb, not yet, though I want to make some type of system for that (similar to breath of the wild for example). In that moment, I would like to work on some animations too, due to that system will need it (even using IK).

Yeah, I understand what you say about other controllers, it was one of the reasons why I start to make this asset (it started as university project for a game), because I didn't find any controlller that could have all what I need. So that is why I decide to make all by my self and add all kind of systems useful for a game, making able to make full scenes by placing and connecting different mechanics, devices, etc...

Don't worry about thinking to pick the asset or not, take your time, ask anything you need and again thanks for the interest and feedback.

Regards.

24. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi again,

Thanks for the reply once again.

I have been developing using RFPS Prefab where the TPC is in need of updating by the developer too so I am kind of stuck with moving forward as its something I see as necessary for me at least. I have tried a few TP controllers and AI systems which I have purchased but none of them actually fit in with what I need....

Your system does have what seems to be a what looks like a very good and user friendly system for adding and managing Player and also enemies. Not sure how it is with them moving up stairs as you only seem to have ramps in what I have seen as examples....I guess one could add ramp colliders to stairs and turn off existing stair colliders and have characters go up stairs to same affect anyway.

However your asset also has many other features that I need for my game. e.g. vehicles, flying objects, turrets and more as built in standard features so is attractive in many ways. Its also saves having to rely upon many different separate asset plugins as it were and getting them all to work together satisfactorily without conflict. Its no so much about the cost of buying so many assets but also importantly one of having an integrated system which has been designed from the ground up with features which are all working together and integrated correctly by a developer as yours does. I am not sure if I could use any of the scripts that come with your system inside another asset and get them to work?

The downside is it takes you a long time to develop it all and add more features that users may look for which may be different for all users and their own projects.....

Swings and roundabouts :)

"it started as university project for a game"

Very well done I say. You deserve to have great success with this for the effort to date and I hope it progresses to become the best asset around. :)

You will get my support me thinks.

Thanks again.

Peter

sr388 likes this.
  25. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi sr388,

Just to add I bought your asset and that helps a little to provide incentive and help progress just a little. Imported to a new blank project in the very latest Unity version. Had a shedfull of console warnings but no critical errors to stop the show and it seems to run OK in test level.

Had a quick play and it seems like a blast - way to go.

I am very busy this coming week but may find some time to do something with it after reading the manual as is to date and hopefully eventually get to grips with some serious testing/work with it.

Wish me luck and if you don't mind I may occasionally report any errors I may find and or offer any suggestions for improvement or new /missing features that might be helpful.

I will leave you alone now and thanks again for your help and this asset.

Kindest regards

Peter

sr388 likes this.
  26. neoshaman

neoshaman

I wonder how you are going to implement it :D It seems they are doing the same thing they did with mario 64, where they use raycast to determine the slope of a triangle and use only that to determine floor from wall/ceiling (which we can see on climbing/walking down a falling tree). Though you will still need a proper ledge/edge objects for stuff like rope and thin objects (bar) to hang.

sr388 likes this.
  27. sr388

sr388

Thanks, I am really glad with your comment.

Yes, for now ramps are managed like you say, most due to the AI, so it could be able to use the nav mesh system (with actual stairs will be more difficult, but I want to add that kind of movement to along with IK feet aligment, which I started some time ago but it is not finished yet).

It is like you said, another reason why I started this asset is as a way to learn more about videogames, so I wanted to focus first in make my own systems instead of integrate others assets (though I want to start to do that too, but I want to polish the current asset first), so I prefer to make my own inventory, map, health, vehicles, weapons, etc...from scratch.

About take scripts to other projects, it depends of what systems you could need, some of them only need one script, anther a couple, and others use a few more (but they could be take to other project with some script knowlegde). I would like to make a few asset with different parts of this controller (of course, none of them would be removed from here).

I am thinking very seriously to work some years in asset developing as my main work (along with working with some friends in game development).

Thank you very much for your purchase and feedback, it means a lot for me. I want to make another version for unity 5.6.x, to try it how that update looks and check if everything in the asset works on it.

Any future feedback about your test is welcome :)

While I played the game, I thought how it is actually done, and I think that more or less, I have an idea, using a combination of raycast, IK, a new movement system to move on walls and try to make everything smoothly. I can't wait to start to work on it. There is a lot of systems from botw that I want to try to emulate (and include in the asset, because why not?), and add more over it (why there is not a grappling hook in botw?, it could be even better than just cause system xd)

Also, ropes is a challenge that I want try to accomplish some day.

Btw @neoshaman, that profile picture though (I prefer ribbon girl abilities, I didn't know what to expect from arms, but after try the demo.....take my money nintendo xd).

Regards.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    rrahim and neoshaman like this.
  28. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi sr388,

Thanks for the reply,

Actually things are going quite well....and GKC is working perfectly in fact using the very latest version of Unity for me! The initial warning messages I got were just a Unity thing and when I rebooted the session next day the had gone so your assets works fine with latest Unity....

Next - I have also imported this to my current projects after disabling my original controller (RFPSP) and components.....

Despite your Player and other Entities being smaller in scale than my project scale after adding your Player and doing some testing I can say that I am not getting yet any issues relating to your asset. The player in fact is getting up staircases fine. Having said that I can even remember where I have added all my invisible colliders as there are a lot of them!

Not destroyed my project so I will shortly be doing more - adding back my custom characters to your controller and hopefully re-scaling them successfully. I also have some custom weapons so will have a look see if I can get them back too :)

One question if you get a chance to read this. Is there an easy way to turn off the Gizmos and such like - is it visual Debug visuals on screen ? Particularly the white Path indicators at the characters feet :)

No worries I will have another look at the manual see if I can find the way or do it some other way.

If and when I get everything back up and running following the move over to this controller I may post a screen shot of how things look in game if that's OK.

EDIT UPDATE : Here's a critical error message I get when trying to Create New Player via the editor button :
    UnityException: get_dataPath is not allowed to be called during serialization, call it from OnEnable instead. Called from ScriptableObject 'DockArea'.
    See "Script Serialization" page in the Unity Manual for further details.
    CharacterCreatorEditor..ctor () (at Assets/Game Kit Controller/Scripts/Editor/CharacterCreatorEditor.cs:23)
    UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility:LoadSerializedFileAndForget(String)
    UnityEditor.WindowLayout:LoadWindowLayout(String, Boolean)

I managed to get a new custom player character in place by doing it manually......However...

I am now stuck completely as for some reason I cannot get the player now to "use a weapon" either initially carried or picked up. Pressing Y key does nothing and the Player simply continues to idle with hands at his side and does not move into a use weapon mode. Tried for some hours to go through as much as possible looking for a reason but cant find one. I cant see a reason?

I can use a Turret and the player will animate to use and shoot it but not with the normal weapons? I must admit I am completely at a loss to see what I can possibly do so any help would be very much appreciated as I am on stop again knocking my head against a brick wall. :)

Thanks very much again.

Regards

Peter

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  29. kikoukop

kikoukop

I follow these steps to attach the weapons to the player:
    In Player Controller / Player Weapons Manager / Show Weapons List / Get Weapons List and activate the weapons you want to use.
    After you select the Weapons gameobject, which is linked to the Spine of the player and in Show Third Person Settings, under Hands Info, drag the left and right hands to the parameter Hans Transform

30. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi
    kikoukop,

Thanks very much for that and your help which is very much appreciated....
    That did the trick with the weapon use thank thank you...

Can you point me in the direction now to fix distortion in the lower arms/hands which hold the weapon once one calls the player to aim weapon ready to shoot when the player looks towards the target and cross hair. His upper torso and direction are also affected by not being in the correct angle/position so I guess I have to adjust/set more configurations somewhere. I don't think its a problem with my model but more I need to do?

I have seen some things in the manual so will see if I can find the problem(s) to fix it myself if I can.

You seem to have done this before and know your stuff and with an insane amount of settings to go through I am more likely to make things worse than better :)

Anyway thanks very much again for your kind help.

EDIT UPDATE :

I have now fixed the model distortion and am just left with the player upper torso in the wrong angles when ready to shoot viewing zoom to cross hair. Upper body aim point seems to need adjusting as his upper body leans backwards/upwards and to far to the left. Any idea a which parameters I need to look at/find and adjust to correct his aim look upper body position? I guess its a spine position adjustment/setting or something like that?

OK Fixed that too in the powers inspector as suggested in the manual...

Question about the camera position in views TP/FP - whats the best way to move this as I need to move it to get the positioning right or to a need in TP and FP and zoom views...

Is this done by setting the camera position or with the player position?

regards

Peter

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  31. sr388

sr388

Hi, sorry for the late reply.

With the white path indicators, do you mean the AI? I have added an option for the new update that I will upload this week.

Most systems in the asset which has a gizmo, it can be disabled in the inspector, more options for this will be added too.

The update that will be upload also solves the rotation of the upper body of the player without configuration needed and for any kind of model.

The steps to add the weapons are in the documentation, after the changelog, like I said, the documentation will include all the steps and possibilites of every system very soon.

Thanks @kikoukop for the quick answer.

Yes, in the playerCamera inspector, it has different options to configure different camera states for third and first person, configuring the camera and pivot position along with offsets.

Regards.

32. christougher

christougher

I've got a separate project I'm working on but would like to see about using the on/off-screen objective indicators that you have as my other attempts have run into snags. What all would I need to get that just that working by itself? Thx.

33. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi sr388,

Thanks for your last reply.

I need some more help or advice that I cant find anywhere again if you can help please...

I still cant get past setting up my player character and get it to work correctly...

I need to swap out ethan obviously for my own character - that I can do, however parts of my custom character model get distorted mainly at the forearms (elbow to hand) and at the knees.....

In any case I also want to have my player character model use my own animations and not the ones which come with ethan or wherever they come from ( seems to be Coded or loaded somehow from the Third Person Animator it seems to call by default). i.e. I want my player to use a specific model together with its original animations - which are more professional - (Ethan and his animations are very poor for what I need)....

I have tried using my own animator (which has the animations I need attached) but when I run the level I cant move the player as it seems no input is being recognised I guess thats because it relies on your animator and set up?

So my question is : Can we use our own animation sets - as with a typical mecanim set up to add individual animations of choice to our character model of choice?

I have attached a screen shot of player character in an empty level I am using to try and set this up. All works except I have no input so can only rotate the player but not run, walk, jump and so on. I can shoot however :)

You can see that the character has a more dynamic and better looking idle animation pose that ethan and looks much more professional and that the system assault rifle weapon is ready for action!

I will keep at it but if you could advise I may be able to get there a lot quicker if at all possible that is? Been at it for a long time already and now stuck again

Thanks again.

Peter

Attached Files:

34. sr388

sr388

Hi @christougher.

The main core of that system is the setObjective script, in the playerController. To add elements to the objective system without need of use code, the same element used to add icons to the map, it is also used to add objectives, so you only need to attach a mapObjectInformation component to a gameObject and configure as objective, here a pic:

Captura.PNG

In that case, you would need some scripts related to the mapSystem, which are place in the same folder.

But if you want to use only the setObjective system, you can call the function to add an element and make a simpler system with this:

player.GetComponent<setObjective> ().addElementToList (gameObject, true, triggerRadius, showOffScreenIcon, showMapWindowIcon, showDistance);

Of course some code could need some modification.

Like I said before, I will make little assets with this kind of systems, so anyone could pick exactly what they need (of course, all that system won't be taken from this asset). And also I want to make the asset more modular, to allow to do the same thing.

Hi @petercoleman.

I forgot to talk about the problem with the character creator, the error that you said about the get_dataPath could be related to unity 5.6.x, maybe some change in the functions for that version. I want to test the asset in that unity version and fix any problem with it as soon as possible.

In the mean time, what you can do is to use the asset in unity 5.3.x, you can install different version of unity in the same pc.

And about the animations, can you send me the code that manage your animator to take a look? The script that manages the animations in the asset is inside playerController, where the movement input values are applied to the mecanim. I am thinking in work in a system that allows to use any animator without need to change any code (which would be a better option that the current), so I will start to work on it when I finish my master degree project (in 5 weeks) , by then, I will have more free time (finally, yes please).

It would be easy (or relatively easy ) to change the code that manages the animator by another, but I think that it would be neccesary to add some states to that new animator, like death or the tree for the aim system movement.

Regards.

35. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi sr388

Thanks for the reply again.

Yes I have considered all of that and looked at the Animators and stuff already...

Anyway I have a custom Player character working now albeit not the particular model I want to use, nor using the animation sets I want him to. However he does work OK....

Question now is how do I get a custom Enemy character model in to replace the ethan model? I don't see anything about that anywhere that I can find? Obviously I don't want hundreds of Ethan clones everywhere so is there any info about setting up our own enemies? I cant see an easy way or any way to do that which I could be successful at attempting - I had a quick attempt and failed miserably :) (after that I would have to look at adding or changing weapons - phew!)

If you get a change a pointer to guidance if there is any may be helpful but don't worry about it to much, I understand you are busy with your Masters degree and I may put this aside until your done. I am beginning to think I am going to be fighting this for a long time to make any reasonably speedy progress as everything seems to be reliant on hard coding to some extent and not easily open to end user change easily.

I really like the feature set but everything seems to be quite inflexible to the end user despite a gazillion parameters and configurations scattered in various locations. I have to give it to you its a heck of a programming job but a nightmare for the end user to customise the contents for use with their own game assets when it comes to the major items like Player, enemies and others of a similar nature of importance it seems.

I may have another go but kind of mostly trial and error of which most is error :) I cant really be spending most of my time fighting with dev tools. They need to be intuitive and clear to use and work first time as I need to move on to many things in making a large complex game and not going backwards or around in circles. Forward progress is a must.

Kindest regards

Peter

sr388 likes this.
  36. sr388

sr388

Hi @petercoleman and sorry for the late reply (fridays are ironically almost the worst day of the week).

I will write the steps to make a manual replacement of a model for the AI and add to the documentation along with post it here as soon as possible. These steps are easy, very similar to how the player was build in earlier versions of the asset. The only objects to place are weapons, steps triggers and barely nothing more.

I can only give you the reason about the flexibility of the asset, but I am working of that in every update, trying to make everything more extensible as much as my game and code knowlegde allow me at that moment (fortunately, I am improving that too). Also, feedback of this forum help me to realise this kind of things, because one thing of being one man team is that there are situations and systems that you didn't considerate until someone tells you.

Of course, I hope that the new documentation that will be added, help to solve most of this kind of problems.

All of this allows to improve the asset, so don't be afraid to tell what you think about it, what you don't like or what you would change. There is a lot of things that need to be improbed, simplify and make more flexible.

Regards.

37. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hello again,

Thanks for that. At the moment I am trying to replace enemy and ally ethan Character with my own models/mesh. Enemy first. My first attempt failed so I will try again :)

Clearly the fact that all the defaults use the ethan model and or controller seems to make it difficult to do in an easy way in most available TPC not only this one where they are based upon ethan/unity default controllers as they don't expose things for an end user to easily do this.

I tried the Free Invector Lite TPC controller out recently and its a breeze and so easy to create a custom model player with it and the animations/poses are great. I have attached a screen shot and you can see the player has a nice idle animation pose as opposed to the ethan character which looks more suitable for the Unity "android robot" :)

Still I will keep at it and see how I get on.

Best regards

Peter

Attached Files:

38. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi sr338,

I am trying to set up a new player character in new project.

I have the spine bending backwards again when firing weapon?

For the life of me I can not find the location to change the setting under Aim Settings as shown in the manual ( Other Powers) as it does not seem to exist there in my version....

Can you kindly help by pointing me to where this setting is now located if different in the latest version as opposed to as shown in the manual.

I have attached screen shots to show the difference between manual and inside the Unity editor.

Thank you

Kind regards

Peter

Attached Files:

39. sr388

sr388

Hi @petercoleman.

Sorry for these problems, I am really mad with my self for not being able to complete and update the documentation yet, but I literally have negative time to do it for now (only 3 weeks more to be free and back to the asset).

About the spine setting, yes it has been changed for the UpperBodyRotationSystem in the playerController (it is the last inspector). There are the settings for the spine, just in case the bones assigned are not the correct, which can happen sometimes depending of the structure of the model's skeleton.

But with the new system, the rotation of the spine should work fine, so maybe the bones are not assigned correctly. Like I said check in UpperBodyRotationSystem inspector if the first bone is the spine and the last bone is the chest. If that is the case and the spine doesn't work, we can check it by skype/hangout/similar.

Regards.

40. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi sr388,

Thanks for that. I think I had already found that and assigned the bones correctly. I will try and look again.

I believe I had it working previously but that was again using another custom model. Seems like each time I try one there's always some issue or another :) I don't really have a character model I really like or am happy with for the Player role so will keep trying. I may try and find another different model again :)

Thanks anyway for your reply which is appreciated.

Peter

41. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Well I am till assessing and playing with this quite a bit and still have to find where to get into the aircraft and still have to try and sort out building a hovertank but so far this package is excellent. I still have to work out which script is for planetary gravity gravity for a planet for both A.I and player to walk , rub and drive on but so far its excellent I would suggest however people read the manual first I spent hours of frustration no knowing why the weapons wouldn't work and then I realized I had to press ''Y'' for that!!!!!!! Silly me still would appreciate a tutorial on how to apply gravity scripts to planets Once again though I am glad I bought this asset. One thing though did you including the ability to mine in this assets?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    hopeful likes this.
  42. sr388

sr388

Ok, like I said, if it happens again, tell me, but the new system to rotate the spine should work for most (if not all) the models.

Thanks for telling me that. Yes, the documentation is something that I can not stop of thinking to do, but due to zero free time, I haven't been able to do yet. In 3 weeks, I will complete my master project, so I will work on the full doc, start the new video tutorials, fix and improve the current version and after that start to add new features like before (I have a few things that I can't wait to try and see if they really work).

For the weapons (and other actions in the asset) I would like to add a hud element to tell the player actions (and that action button) that he can do in that moment according to the mode (weapons, combat, power, driving, etc....) that he is using (similar to botw).

About the mine, not yet, but what do you mean about mining? something like hit rocks and in x hits, it drops minerals? or how would you do it?

Regards.

43. Brandon_Powell

Brandon_Powell

i had thought about a system just like that for an earlier project, you could assign it possibly by texture of the object hit?

speaking of which, with a system like that you could integrate a voxel terrain like this

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/9180

in about an afternoon

(i don't really code and i integrated it into another character controller in 1 day)

speaking of which,

the developer of that asset *I believe* has a practice of giving copies of the asset to other asset publishers to look at integrations.

I really think in one weekend you would be able to do a complete integration including harvesting blocks by texture type

I am not at all connected to the developer of that asset, but i bought it, and like i said, i don't really code, and i was able to make decent use of it in a day.

44. sr388

sr388

That asset looks really cool, I will send a message to the developer and see if he is interested in the integration, the idea would be to modify the terrain using a weapon/tool/vehicle, isn't it? maybe even explosions and projectiles could affect it, maybe the gravity system too.

About harvest blocks, I was thinking in something similar to botw, but with the current system in game kit controller, you can already create prefabs for different rocks, set a health and a drop pickups system and voila. The enemies, crates and barrels from the asset work with that. What it can be added above that is a shop system, so you can use those objects to make others, sell or buy them.

That feature was already in my todo list, not only for minerals, but for any kind of object, vehicles, weapon, ammo, etc... along with a system to move objects from the inventory to an arsenal/vault/similar, which would be saved too.

Regards.

45. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Well I think you should be able to use a vehicle or a hand held digger to dig into the cyber Earth or cyberplanet the player is on check out Empyrion Galactic Survival for though I was thinking that you could have a vehicle to dig out a cave and go underground and dig out gold , silver e.t.c that would be cool especially for an R.T.S and the player could build their base near the resource. You could allow the player to lightly arm the vehicle to defend itself and obviously allow the player to get in and out of the vehicle as well as the A.I

I was wondering instead of K for communication to your A.I Friendlies how about C and a smaller screen that would come up in the right hand corner of the screen and you could press the number keys to order the friendly A.I to follow, attack, defend, wait, patrol, get into vehicle, get out of vehicle e.t.c and then you could make a another sub menu under vehicle which would have follow , attack, defend , patrol e.t.c and if you have say an articulated tank you could order your a.i to get into the various positions as driver, machine gunner and loader if the tank doesn't have auto loader so it would be like this you press C and you have a menu like this

Press C:
    1 Armed friendly
    2 Armed friendly
    3 Armed friendly
    5 Armed friendly
    6 Armed friendly
    7 Armed friendly
    8 Armed friendly
    9 Armed friendly
    10 Armed friendly
    11 All Armed Friendly

Then you press 1 and this sub menu comes up

1) Attack
    2)Defend
    3) Follow
    4) Wait
    5) Heal yourself
    6) Get into Vehicle
    7) Get Out of Vehicle
    8) Follow Close
    9) Attack my Target
    10 ) Hide
    11 ) Get In Turret Tank
    12)Return to Base

Now Defend and Get into Vehicle can have have sub menus of thier own like say you press 2 then the sub menu could be this

1) Base
    2)Patrol This Area
    3) Defend Object

With the ''Get In Vehicle'' You could have the same menu

1) Attack
    2)Defend
    3) Follow
    4) Wait
    5) Get Repair
    6) Get into Vehicle
    7) Get Out of Vehicle
    8) Follow Close
    9) Attack my Target
    10 ) Hide
    11) Get Into Turret Tank
    12 ) Get into 2 man Hovertank

Except for ''Defend'' would have

1) Base
    2)Patrol This Area
    3) Defend Object
    4 ) Defend Vehicle
    3) Defend Factory

And ''Get Into Turret Tank'' could have a menu like this

1)Gunner
    2)Communications Operator
    3) Driver
    4) Loader

And each of these would have a separate menu so say the Driver it would be

1) Drive to designated target
    2) Forward
    3) Reverse
    4) Ram
    But if you have a 2 man hovertank like say Starsiege Tribes 2 you could just have a menu which says
    1)Gunner
    2) Driver

And depending which position you choose you could have say the driver do the same thing except

1) Drive to designated target
    2) Forward
    3) Reverse
    4) Straffe Left
    5) Straffe Right

Or if your driving The Gunner could have a menu like

1) Fire at will
    2) Fire at my selected Target
    3) Cease Fire

Of course if you have a game where pilots/Drivers start of in their vehicles you could have the vehicle menu be under C and the On foot menu be K I guess hope you like my suggestions The HUD element would be great I gather its lot of work but look forward to what you have produced in 2 weeks time Good luck I am sure it will cool and excellent to an already cool package

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    sr388 likes this.
  46. Brandon_Powell

Brandon_Powell

indeed, Voxeland uses a pretty simple raycast system for interacting with the terrain, here's a video showing a simple integration with the ultimate survival asset, should give you an idea how simple setup is: (not my video btw)

and once i figured out where the code went, i was able to add autosave and load to the terrain in under 5 minutes.
    really looking forward to any possible integrations, keep up the A+ work!

sr388 likes this.
  47. sr388

sr388

That seems a good scheme to give orders to the AI. Very probably that all these commands will be included while the AI is being improved, thanks for the suggestion. And about use C instead of K, remember that you can both change the key for an action in the input manager inspector in Character gameObject and in game too (which is save/loaded between games).

Yeah, it seems pretty easy to achieve. I will send a message to the developer and take a closer look to that video too, thanks for it ;)

Btw, due to I am using the map system for the master project, I have done a lot of improvements and additions to the map, like calculate path to an objective, store positions, better map builder, configure main places and allow to search them in a list, etc.... all of them will be added in a new update soon.

Regards.

hopeful likes this.
  48. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

I would say use both C and K for communication C for pilots /drivers in vehicles and K for when pilots or drivers or soldiers are on foot or are not driving but are in an APC which reminds me I would love to have an APC hover vehicle with side gun points as well as possibly a main gun and they would be able to shoot broadside and even from the back side Hopefully you could look at doing something like that please? Still look forward to your massive updates I am sure that will be great

49. neoshaman

neoshaman

Rts control like battlezone the rts? that game and its sequel left big impression on me!

50. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Yeah that was great and this is very near to it I found out you can have player eject enabled or not on every vehicle How cool is that? The thing is the Joystick controls need to be better they need to be able to allow the player to configure how it would be in the game as it is a bit strange especially as I am using a Saitek X45 H.O.T.A.S But oh yes I want to do something similar All it needs it auto repair auto eject and a constructor and mobile turrets that you can drive but you can'tr fire the weapons unless you deploy on the ground and scavengers picking up material and deploying over scrap pools you have Battlezone 1 and 2 R.T.S Or Battlezone 98 Redoux as it is called now. And if you could have Mobile Factories where you can have sliding doors well that would be cool