Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.6%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

30.0%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.2%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.0%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.1%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.5%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.6%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.4%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.2%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have been adding an option to set a weapon as used by one or two hands in real time, so the player can wield a weapon with one or two hands at will.

This is made taking into account the melee weapon system, so similar to games like dark souls, the player can wield a weapon with one or two hands, like a sword, to make one group of attacks or another. Usually for weak or strong attacks, causing more or less damage to the target, with a slower or a faster animation.

This change from one to two hands wield weapon is not complete yet, but just need a little polish.

Also, while I worked in the new animator and the climb ledge system I saw a way to activate animator states which maybe doesn't require a lot of connections are right now has in the combat layer. So I think that could be very simplified. With just combos connected, so just a connection from punch 1, to punch 2, etc.... to exit and nothing more, and this could be extended and used for the melee weapon system.

Regards.

hopeful and Wetw0rx like this.
  2. MAVG

MAVG

I have a problem... when i downloaded the proyect i was bombarded with 64 errors like this one:

C:/Users/Sergio/UNITY Proyects/ETER 2019.4/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.textmeshpro@2.0.1/Scripts/Runtime/FastAction.cs(24,45): error CS1644: Feature `out variable declaration' cannot be used because it is not part of the C# 4.0 language specification

upload_2019-6-30_0-41-4.png

and this warning at the end:
    C:/Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.1.7f1/Editor/Data/Resources/PackageManager/BuiltInPackages/com.unity.timeline/Editor/inspectors/ClipInspector/ClipInspector.cs(364,17): warning CS0219: The variable `editorClip' is assigned but its value is never used

Any ideas of what´s happening and how to solve it?
    Please and thanks.
    P.D. this also happens in the last version of unity...

3. sr388

sr388

Hi @MAVG.

That sounds to .net 4.0 Projects that are made in lower versions than 2018 and 2019, by default have .net 3.5 configured, so when they are imported to higher versions of unity, it shows that error. It is happening to a lot of assets and projects that are being imported to these unity versions.

Take a look at the main doc of GKC, there is a part which explains the setting to solve this issue, which is very quick, by just configuring .net 4.0. It is on the page 45, called "Possible issues and fixes". You can see a link to the steps here too: https://www.corrosionhour.com/change-net-version-to-4-in-unity/

Tell me if this works or not.

Regards.

4. MAVG

MAVG

it got even worse...

upload_2019-6-30_12-16-42.png

5. sr388

sr388

That is strange. Do messages can be removed from the console or they keep appearing? If they can be cleaned, the error with .net 3.5 should be fixed.

In any case, I will send you a PM to take a better look at it.

Regards.

6. 3DWizerd

3DWizerd

Quick question, Ive always had mouse issues while inventory open, seems locked to a certain resolution, hard to control or drag items to hotbay. Any ideas? Thanks for your hard work

PS. Oh geez, it was an issue with having controller plugged in at the same time using keyboard and mouse. Maybe a auto sense controller deactivate when keyboard or mouse is used and visa versa

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    sr388 likes this.
  7. MAVG

MAVG

ok problem solved thanks, Oh before i forgot to anoyone who have this problem please change settings player to .NET 4.0 and clear the console the error will never appear again, at least in my case

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    sr388 likes this.
  8. sr388

sr388

@3DWizerd what a casuality, I went to sleep just a couple of minutes before your message haha, sorry for the time to reply.

Never have seen (or notice) mouse issues with the inventory, can you tell me more about it or record some video, to see it better?

Oh, I am reading your PS now, so the cause was the gamepad which was connected, right? When a gamepad is connected, by default the input is taken from it, but there is an option to use both keyboard and gamepad at the same time, though maybe in opened menus, the gamepad has the priority to control the mouse. There is also an option to ignore gamepad even if it is connected, all of them found in the input manager system in the main parent of the player's prefab.

Will check that, to see if an option can be added to use both inputs in an additive way, instead of override, at the same time in the menu.

During 3.0, I want to add a fake mouse cursor system, in order to allow to every player on the local multiplayer system to manage his menu separately from the rest with his own mouse cursor (since right now, there is a single mouse cursor, which is the real mouse). And allow with this, the menu navigation with gamepad.

Glad to hear that, seems that the setting works properly.

Regards.

9. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

Hey guys hope all is well.
    On the subject of gamepads, is there or will there be a way to configure the analog joystick to walk when slightly pushed and run when pushed all the way?
    It's one of my favorite features of console games that sadly, rarely makes it to PC games

10. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

After some time to think, I have removed the free fire mode to move and shoot to sides or backward temporarily, but I will rework it in the future. Now, when the player fires a weapon without aiming, he will look toward camera direction, like if the option that was available for this is always active. Here you can see how it looks now:

Also, I have added a locked camera menu in the player camera to add pre configured locked cameras to the level. Tthis allows to drop a locked camera prefab to the level with the settings already configured for a camera view like top down, isometric, 2.5d, tank controls, etc...with just one button, without need to search for a prefab.

Finally, I added an auto configuration of the spine value is already added and it works properly, so now, literally, no manual setting is needed after create a new character.

Regards.

11. sr388

sr388

Right now, it works like that. The current movement tree gets the value of the input from 0 to 1, so if you move the joystick toward the middle position, the player will walk, and if you move it all the way, it will run. Though maybe some option to could be added for it, since there is also a sprint movement, which is triggered by the run action key.

Regards.

Wetw0rx likes this.
  12. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

Cool. I haven't gotten around to testing with a gamepad yet but good to know. On point as usual lol

sr388 likes this.
  13. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

The upcoming update 3.01 is in beta state, so any user who wan to try the new elements of this new version, send me a PM here or the support email to get access to it.

Also, here you can see the changelog so far for this update:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=18igka2evYxq7gUPRYtKvd5v6Tdb3p4ok

Cool, tell me if the way it works now if what you needed or not.

Regards.

Neviah likes this.
  14. pccross

pccross

Bought this asset awhile ago, but was too far along in my last project to incorporate. Now that I'm ready to start a brand new project, was hoping to start using GKC. I read through documentation, but it's not clear how the enemy AI is setup. Am I missing a tutorial or documentation that outlines the process? I'm very familiar with the Emerald AI setup, so hoping this is similarly easy to use.
    Also, I noticed there are tutorials for the character controller, but all of them seem to be focused on 'player' setup. Are there tutorials for 'enemy' setup? Thanks!

15. sr388

sr388

Hi @pccross.

Thanks for your purchase and interest in the asset.

About the AI, it is not too much advanced yet, and probably emerald has more options and behaviors available. But it is planned to be added.

And no, there is no documentation about AI yet, but there are prefabs for every type and different scenes with examples. There is planned to make tutorial videos for the AI, to show how they work and their settings. In the mean time, don't hesitate to ask any question about it.

And about emerald, there was an integration with GKC and emerald some time ago, but both asset changed between updates and the integration needs some rework. But it is planned to be done during 3.0, which is a group of updates in development right now, with 1-2 months between each update. So soon, the integration will be reworked. Other AI solution integrated already is Eliot.

Regards.

16. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I decided the style of the aspect of the asset, and it is going to be low poly, there is a new character in process and the rest of props and levels will have a similar style. I will remake the aspect of the asset while working on 3.0. First with this scifi style, and also, middle age, once I start with the melee weapon system.

unknown (2).png

unknown (3).png

Here an example of the main character, with separated armor and clothes, which will be used to work on the armor/cloth system. This model here is made into separated pieces, including upper body, lower body, head and hands.

Regards.

Attached Files:

17. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

New video tutorials added, in this case, for the dialog system.

Regards.

Testmobile, Wetw0rx, Neviah and 2 others like this.
  18. cdo1955

cdo1955

I just purchased the asset. And the first issue i have is that the player seems to walk on an invisible floor above the playing foot in my game. I tried moving the player parent lower in the scene, and it seemed to put him down on the main floor. But if in the game the player climbs up, when he tries to descend he starts walking on the invisible plane above the main floor. Any idea how to cure this?

Testmobile likes this.
  19. sr388

sr388

Hi @cdo1955.

Thanks for your purchase.

About the issue, I think that maybe the player is detecting some trigger collider element with a layer assigned which is recognized by the player as surface to walk.

In any case, I will send you a PM to take a better look at the issue.

Regards.

Testmobile likes this.
  20. cdo1955

cdo1955

Discovered that the LUX water asset I'M using has a Box collider on it I disabled for now. I'm sure its needed for underwater detection so i have find a way around the issue.

21. sr388

sr388

Hi again @cdo1955.

Happy to hear that was the cause.

About the collider, if it just a trigger, in player controller gameObject, in the component player controller, you can configure the layermask used for the ground raycast check, so the player can ignore that water collider.

In case it is not a trigger but a solid collider, maybe a custom script could be added to configure a ignore collision function between that collider and the player.

Tell me what type of collider is (trigger or not).

Regards.

22. cdo1955

cdo1955

Thanks for you quick reply. Its the LUX water causing the issue.
    I have another question. I'd like to replace the foot sounds and particle system with my own. Can you tell me where in the prefab I can find the location to swap them out. Also the foot prints occur no matter what surface the player is on. Is the a way to make it only happen in sand or snow?

sr388 likes this.
  23. cdo1955

cdo1955

In regards to the LUX water collider it is a Trigger. i will try your suggestion with layer masking. thanks

sr388 likes this.
  24. sr388

sr388

I see, cool.

About the foot steps sounds, you can configure new surfaces in player controller gameObject, in foot steps manager component inspector.

Then, a component called foot step surface (I think that is the name) is attached to any collider, so when the player detects that surface, it will use the proper sounds.

For terrains, it takes the order index configured in the terrain system.

The particles and foot prints are just one type yet, but it is planned to add options to use different on different surfaces, for the next update, which will be started in a matter of days, after release the current one. The next update should be ready by the end of this month.

Regards.

25. cdo1955

cdo1955

Thanks alot, will give it a try.

sr388 likes this.
  26. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Sorry for not showing more progress during the weekend, I have been with just the internet from the phone the last two days.

I have changed the aspect of the inventory:

I have been also making some improvements, polish and fixes for the dual weapons and the general weapon system for the update.

Also, I have improved the dialog system, with positions to change the dialog line and the options according to what it is being shown in the dialog panel, so the text and the dialog options can be centered according to the situation.

The update will be ready very soon.

Regards.

Wetw0rx, hopeful and Testmobile like this.
  27. Testmobile

Testmobile

Amazing, can't wait!

sr388 likes this.
  28. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Here the new option to change fov and shake camera for sprint on third person. It allows to configure the shake state, so that shake state can be customized as needed:

Also, an option in the camera shake system was added to repeat a shake x times, so you can configure things like foot stomps:

There is also an event option on this external camera shake system, so you can configure things like play sound on every shake, to simulate the foot sound (which currently is configure in this example but in the gif there is no audio xd).

Finally, here an example of the cutscene system. It is not on this clip, but the cutscene system can now use the spline system (same used on weapons), to configure smoother movement paths for the camera during cutscenes.

The update should be ready in a couple of days.

Regards.

29. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I am working slowly the last couple of days because between the summer which slows me a lot and a few sores that I have in my mouth (for random reason, kill me please, I can't even talk and almost can't eat neither xd), I am getting things done slower than usual, which I hate.

But I think tomorrow will get the rest of things for the update done, which are just a couple of checks, make the builds, take a couple of captures of new elements, and voila, oh, and probably some short video with the new stuff. It is also the reason why I haven't uploaded any tutorial video this week yet, as it is really hard to me to talk properly now.

Btw, the same option which allows to draw a certain weapon at the start of the game, allows now to configure dual weapons as well.

more improvements new stuff 54.gif

more improvements new stuff 55.gif

So you can configure which weapon goes in every hand when the game starts. Works in any view too.

Regards.

Brian-Ryer, Testmobile and neoshaman like this.
  30. MorpheusXI

MorpheusXI

Hi Sr388, sorry to hear about your health problems. I'd have to say watching your progress on your Asset is awesome and one of my fav assets for watching the achievements being made. However, if overwork is causing stress which may be symptom of your problem. Your health comes first and I'm sure all your fans would have no issue with you taking it slow or some time off to recover. It sounds quite serious to me, beyond medication Bonjela to help out. Wish you well and hope things get better.

Wetw0rx and sr388 like this.
  31. sr388

sr388

Hi @MorpheusXI.

Thanks for your interest in the asset and for your message, I really appreciate.

Yes, seems that one of the possible causes of what I have is stress (I am a very nervous person and I get nervous for the smallest and simple things, so this causes a constant stress on me, no matter what xd).

Don't worry, I already feel better and will be totally recovered in no time. You can be sure being health is important for me, one of the reasons for this is to keep working on GKC for as many years as possible haha.

Thanks again for your nice words and care :)

Regards.

Testmobile and MorpheusXI like this.
  32. magique

magique

@sr388 Sorry about your health issues. Praying you get better quick. Don't stress out about the asset. It'll all get done when it gets done.

33. Deckard_89

Deckard_89

Seeing as how you were able to recreate the mansion almost perfectly in your demo scene, I would say you played too much Resident Evil as a kid and now it's made you full of anxiety, haha. It happens to the best of us ;)

Take care of yourself brother.

34. sr388

sr388

Thank to all of you people for the cheers up :).

I am almost at 100% of healing haha. I am also finishing the last details of the update in order to send it to the store. Just a few more hours.

@Deckard_89 in fact, I didn't play resident evil games until 16 and I really need more games like those old style haha. Glad you noticed about the mansion. I want to use probuilder to improve its aspect and make it more accurate, and make more demos there, for first, third, fixed and other views.

Regards.

Testmobile and Deckard_89 like this.
  35. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

Hey sr388.

Sorry to hear about your health. Just stopping by to send you some get well soon vibes and high five on all the hard work you put in constantly.
    I started dabbling in the dialog system and had a ton of fun.

Thanks!

sr388 likes this.
  36. sr388

sr388

Thanks @Wetw0rx for you comment, I really appreciate it :). Really happy to hear that about the dialog system. It has been improved during the upcoming update and there is planned a lot of useful elements to add.

Regards.

37. mytecjmb

mytecjmb

Hello,

Since this is my first time here I will say great work on the GKC asset, it is well worth the money. Thank you for your dedication to this project.

Now I have to ask can someone please link me to, or give me a vehicle tutorial or breakdown. I am currently trying to edit the chair and aircraft prefabs to suit my needs. Started with chair over basic sitting as I needed a pilots chair but realized the aircraft already sits and has movement. I am pretty close to getting this working but really could use a hand or to know what the procedure is or even the barebones to get a vehicle setup going would be.

Thank you in advance.

sr388 likes this.
  38. sr388

sr388

Hi @mytecjmb.

Thanks for your purchase and interest on the asset. And also for your nice words.

About the vehicle, the chair for example is just made as an example of the simplest "kind of vehicle" that can be configured with the vehicle system. But every other vehicle configured has already their own seats configured too, so no need to use the chair in other vehicles.

About the aircraft, I will send you a PM to take a look at what you need exactly.

Regards.

mytecjmb likes this.
  39. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have just sent the first update of 3.0, which is 3.01, to the store, so you can expect it to be released in 2-3 days.

Here you can see the final changelog:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13PMd1QtwWdb8tpC60zHg4H26xkOKhC6H

And try the new demos, for PC and android:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uLUThalqBv33MCA3Jc1ws4dCAabMhGXw
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LP8u-3t3yIjtoZwMllyEJSP7dvmJ1sP4

Btw, something very important for those who doesn't have GKC yet: I would wait for the release on the store before get it, as you will find a little surprise in the page of the asset that day ;)

Now, lets back to work to start with 3.02, but first, some coffee.

Regards.

40. mytecjmb

mytecjmb

Vehicle success story with final elements in place thanks to sr388! Now on to bigger and better ships. ;)

Vehicle Added.png

41. Testmobile

Testmobile

Don't forget UMA character rigging! ;)

sr388 likes this.
  42. sr388

sr388

Oh yeah, happy to see your vehicle is working and cool design btw.

Of course, it is very planned and will arrive soon ;)

Regards.

hopeful and mytecjmb like this.
  43. sr388

sr388

Good news, everyone.

The update 3.01 has been released on the store (that was fast, less that a day to review it haha), and about the surprise I mentioned yesterday, until July 28, the asset is on sale with a 40% OFF for its 4th anniversary in the store.

EDIT: Btw, what is next? The content for the next update will contain the most voted element of the poll, which is Crafting/trade/vendor/experience/skills. Along with that, the armor/clothes system, improvements to the inventory to make it more flexible to configure any type of pickup and add new behaviors for these kind of objects easily. Also, the first version of the action system to configure new actions for the player which requires animations in specific places of a level, like climb ladders, push an object, pick an object, open a door, etc...

Regards.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Neviah, Wetw0rx, mytecjmb and 3 others like this.
  44. Testmobile

Testmobile

Not to be pushy or anything but working on armor/clothes/wardobe would be way easier if you use UMA *hint*hint

45. sr388

sr388

I will use UMA to test the system, but it will be made to work with any character and customize it as needed, don't worry ;).

Regards.

Wetw0rx and Testmobile like this.
  46. hopeful

hopeful

Looking forward to seeing what you do here. It sounds like a great update in the works. :)

I'm sure you have good ideas pertaining to pickups. In my game I'd like to pick up dropped weapons, ammo, a jet pack, proximity charges (not ones that have been armed!) - most of which I think you already have in the demo - and maybe a few other similar physical things, and add them to personal inventory. I guess climbing into or owning a vehicle counts as a pickup. Maybe you can add to a vehicle inventory that you buy expansion slots for, like space in a warehouse or garage? (Not a literal garage, but inventory space.) Maybe sometimes when you acquire a helper or pet, that would be a pickup too. Sometimes the pet may be temporary (you met a NPC ally and he is following you and fighting or healing for a while), other times maybe it is something you add to pet inventory and can call out of inventory whenever you want (say, a personal healing or shielding drone), or it has a cool down (you can call it forth once every 30 minutes), or you can bring it out like a genie for a certain number of times (like uses, charges, or three wishes).

Having personal inventory and storage inventory could be a way of controlling how much a player can have and use at a time. Like, if there's a personal inventory of 1 vehicle, that restricts the player to use of one vehicle at a time ... which seems very reasonable. Having storage inventory for 4 vehicles means they're maybe like Batman, and when they set out on a quest they can choose the Bat-copter, Bat-boat, Bat-jet, or Batmobile. Or maybe it's just choosing from a set of armored vehicles with different weapons systems and capabilities. (Hmm, should I take the sporty car with the rocket launchers that pop out of the trunk, or the heavy car with the front-mounted chain gun?)

Having a pet quest inventory in addition to a personal inventory and storage inventory would be a way of tracking and restricting how many pets a player can have out at once in a quest. Like if you have several helpers in a quest, but you only want the player to be able to use three at a time, and the other helper NPCs are out there as different choices or as replacement pets. As illustration, let's say you have 3 helper pets, one is armored melee, one is ranged, and one is healing / support. The player is only able to pick one of these NPCs to accompany them (because they have a quest inventory of one). But maybe the player is also a Pokemon master, and has one or more pets in their personal inventory that they can access too. IDK ... just throwing out scenarios. :)

Most of my game's more abstract inventory adds would come from completion events, like defeating a foe (giving xp, which is divided among players on the team; plus a chance of getting a type of temporary power booster added to a smallish booster inventory), completing a quest or quest objective (rewards xp and usually a point of "currency"), clicking an object in the world (the event may award xp, or it may award a clue item, or an item for physical inventory like a gun or ammo, a quest item like a key or safe combination, or a booster item), or clicking on the UI for a storage bin. So basically just two things: selecting from a storage bin UI, and rewards dropped into different categories of points or inventory for a completion event.

I suppose crafting is in its own way kind of a combination of quest objectives and a completion event.

Another type of quest and completion event is the informal type of quest where it's automatically running in the background and you don't know it until you reach a certain point in the game, like you've hit level 10 or you've defeated 100 orcs, and then you get a completion event and a reward of some sort. The reward could be a physical inventory item, a pet, a vehicle, new inventory slots, or an unlock (token or key type thing) that allows you to do something you couldn't do before.

47. sr388

sr388

Sorry for the time to reply, I read your post before but hadn't time to answer it properly.

Yes, the improvements planned for the inventory will allow to configure any object to being stored and configure custom events related to how they are used (ammo for recharge weapons, heal pickups for healing, etc....).

The best for that is give options, so the developer can configure the actual limit for it. I think the inventory categories will be able to manage that.

The inventory bank is also made to store objects but which only can be accessed if the player takes them out of there to its personal inventory, so if there are categories and there are limited slots, he only will be able to pick a few of them.

That would be more the experience system, which will allow to give anything to the player, from currency, experience points, inventory objects, etc....

Yes, that is planned as well, so the player can get rewards by achieving "secret" objectives that he wasn't aware while playing. It will be the same system which will allow to give any type of reward to the player, with any combination of type of rewards.

Regards.

48. hopeful

hopeful

I just hope bouncing some ideas occasionally helps you out. That's all.

Keep up the good work. :)

sr388 and Wetw0rx like this.
  49. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I have been working in the option to allow to use stairs steps of stairs with real mesh colliders with inclination different from 0, as previously it was made to only check for straight and plane stair steps. That is one with straight steps:

And here one with different degrees:

Here a capture of how these steps look for the testing:

unknown (5).png

It allows to configure a minimum and a maximum inclination allowed. Also, I probably will send a little update of GKC to the store in a few days with minor bugs fixes found by a couple of users and me. This update is probably that can be just reimported over the version 3.01, so no need to remove the content of GKC for this little update once is ready.

I have been also organizing the content for the new update 3.02, taking into account that I planned to have ready this update in a place of a month, the update won't be ready for the end of this month, but for the middle of august. Will also work in a system to make the code more independent from references to other components.

Haha, of course, don't doubt about tell me any ideas, as it always helps a lot to think about new options and systems ;) Thanks for these suggestions @hopeful.

Regards.

Testmobile, hopeful and mytecjmb like this.
  50. Arkolis

Arkolis

For those like me that needed rear steer, this works for me. Change carController.cs
    Code (CSharp):
    1. //Change Forloop at 209
    2. for (i = 0; i < wheelsList.Count; i++) {
    3.             if (wheelsList [i].steerable) {
    4.                 if (!wheelsList[i].reverseSteer)
    5.                 {
    6.                     wheelsList[i].wheelCollider.steerAngle = (settings.steerAngleLimit * steerInput);
    7.                 } else
    8.                 {
    9.                     wheelsList[i].wheelCollider.steerAngle = (settings.steerAngleLimit * -steerInput);
    10.                 }
    11.             }
    12.             if (wheelsList [i].powered) {
    13.                 currentRearRPM += wheelsList [i].wheelCollider.rpm;
    14.             }
    15.         }
    17. //Add to wheels class below line 1126
    18. public bool reverseSteer;
    Hope this helps!
    ~Ark