Search Unity

50% OFF Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.7%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

30.0%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.2%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.2%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.3%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.4%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.7%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.5%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.5%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Thank you for getting back, yes i do have quite a few more questions.

1. I would like to know more about the event system how much can actually be done with it?

2. The Ai, is there a spawner, navigation system\ pathfinding?
    can Ai also be manipulated with the event system?
    Can enemies have jetpacks or hoverboards etc like player character?
    Is there sometype of built in system for pooling enemy characters and others objects?

sr388 likes this.
  2. sr388

sr388

Always glad to answer any doubt.

1.- The event system allows to call any function from any component you have in the project (no matter if it is from GKC or any other asset or even your own scripts). It has options to configure a list of events, with a separated delay to every event or use the same delay for all of them (for example, open an door, 1 second later spawn an enemy and a pickup together, then trigger a cutscene 2 seconds later, etc...).
    It has also options check what type of objects trigger the events, with layers and tags, if the trigger is on enter or exit, if it is triggered from other function, if an specific object triggers it, if the events are called on every trigger or just once, if the events are triggered at the start of the game, etc...
    Also, every event can be configured to send messages, call events or broadcastmessages (for example, to a big group of objects that have the same function that will be called, so you don't need to configure event by event).
    You can even make the event system to call if to itself after it ends, to you can creat a bucle of events, like a light flicker during 10 seconds, but just configure a couple of seconds with different light intensities.

The event system can make calls to other event systems, as you need. It has also a custom inspector, to make it easy to use and fast to configure.

Also, there is a lot of components in GKC that can call events on certain states (like when doors open or close, when an inventory object is used, the mission system, which allows to configure different tasks which can be called by other events, like press button in an specific order, etc...). Since some updates, I have been adding options to configure events in most components, even the new input system works with events, so it is more flexible than ever and allows a lot of customization without need to even touch the code.

Here you can see the configuration of one jump scare placed in the new demo:

events1gif.gif

And here the event to make the flicker light (this event calls to it self when it reaches the end, until another events stop it 10 seconds after its start). The flicker last a couple of seconds, so the event calls itself 5 times before stop.

events2.gif

2.- There is not a spawn system for the AI yet, but it is planned, for things like enemy waves and more. The AI has a pathfinding system, using navmesh, so you can set a position to move or a target to follow, including a powerful patrol system. Throught the event system you can call functions from the AI in any moment (for example, if an enemy enters in a trigger, you can call its dead function to kill that enemy/npc on that place, just as an example).

Humanoid AI has the same components than the player, so every ability, option, feature added to him it is available on the AI as well. But to make them able to use it, they need the logic for it, like for example, the logic to use the close combat system, the ability to fire weapons, to know when to get on and off from vehicles, etc.... (all of these are already available). But there are others that AI doesn't know how to use yet.

For update 3.0 (next after upcoming 2.4d), AI will be able to drive and vehicles will be able to shoot their weapons automatically at targets.

The pooling system will be added on 3.0 too.

Tell me if this solve your doubts or if you have more.

Regards.

neodotca and tgamorris76 like this.
  3. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Oh wow!! thats really nice to hear, the event system is more like a state machine compared to others I've used, exciting. Far as the Ai what do u mean by needing the logic? like an extra script that will tell the Ai what to do? I would assume all that already is there. Also nav meshlinks are they supported?
    3.0 sounds like something to look forward too, but I'll be grabbing the Kit before then for sure.

neodotca and sr388 like this.
  4. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

The AI is very basic at the moment. @sr388 said he would be upgrading it as a part of version 3. I'm hoping for behavior designer integration.

neodotca likes this.
  5. sr388

sr388

For logic I mean the code or functions to tell to the AI how to do any action, like the one that would use for a melee combat system, where it knows that he has to attack to the player in time spaces of 2 to 5 seconds with some random time space, or maybe, the AI recognizes if the player is using a shield, so the AI will choose to try to consume his stamina, or block an attack when the player is starting an attack. That kind of logic.

Like @EvilGremlin said, the AI is basic now (though the good thing is everything added on the player can be used later on AI as well, so that make things more easy, since all of them use the same components). For 3.0, AI on vehicles will be added, allowing to humanoid AI to drive them (along with other improvements for AI). But there will be an entire update focused on the AI (and very possibly, that update will include integration with behavior designer).

About nav meshlinks, do you mean the ability of the AI to jump between platforms, high places or similar to reach a target? Not yet, but it will be added too.

Also, thanks @Aaron2348 in advance for your support and trust, you can be sure all these improvements will come to GKC.

Regards.

neodotca and StevenPicard like this.
  6. sr388

sr388

Here some captures I made that will be used for the main images on the asset store:

And more:

Regards.

7. sr388

sr388

And here a few more:

8. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Yeah 3.0 sounds like a nice update cant wait man, im gonna get current so i cam learn workflow till 3.0 is here and the last question i have for you at the moment is Animation controllers for everything are these easily chargeable, is there one same Animator controller for all Ai and players?

neodotca and sr388 like this.
  9. sr388

sr388

Thanks again for the support.

Yes, the animator is the same for player and AI, but you can duplicate them if you want separated animator and modify as you need.

For the current actions and movements, you can replace the animations as you need. For 3.0, the animator of the player will be remade to make it easy to modify and add new actions, including the improvement in the player controller script, which manages the animator states, allowing an easier and better customization.

Regards.

Aaron2348 and neodotca like this.
  10. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Ts
    Ok great thank you!! Dude 3.0 sounds like a beast, super packed full of fun stuff.
    I do have a possible suggestion for an animation support im yet to see... the ability to add start and stop animations to make something similar to Gta movement and abilty to adf additives for leaning side to side etc

sr388 likes this.
  11. sr388

sr388

In fact, 2.4d is also a beast of update, even considered to call it 3.0, but to avoid confusion, I left that version name haha. But yeah, 3.0 will be a big update too (there is a partial roadmap of what that version will have, I could post it again with some added features to it).

About the ability of animations, can you show an example of it (some video from GTA where that happens?). That will help to get a better idea to work on it.

Regards.

12. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Haha Yeah thats great to here so this next one is like the 4.0 secretly lol, for sure plan to get my hands on the Asset tomorrow my dude!!
    And yes please post the roadmap would love to take a look.

I thought this was a pretty good reference video for the start and stop animations, ill find one for additives, just need a good one.

13. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Oh one more thing i've forgotten to ask about is the inputs, I see there is alot of them is a there way to consolidate inputs or something for game controller and even pc?

14. sr388

sr388

Ahm, ok, I see now what you mean. Sure, this kind of animations could be added on a new update. The plan for 3.0 is to replace some of the current animations and add new ones for third person. The main objective, is to replace all the new one and add new animations on every update starting from 3.0, so this kind of animations could be added, for stop while walking, running, changing direction, etc...

Thanks for the example and waiting for the other one.

If you ask what type of input GKC has, it is a custom one, unifying keyboard, gamepad and mobile controls in the same system, with a lot of customization, possibility of configure multiple list of actions (movements, camera, drive vehicles, use weapons, powers, devices, menus, etc...), use of events to avoid to write a single line of code, detection of multiple gamepads (that is almost ready and will arrive on 3.0 with the split screen system and multiple players in the same scene), rebinding of actions for keyboard and gameapd ingame allowing to save/load keys configured, configure if an action is called on key down, hold or up, etc...

None key action is hardcoded as some assets used to do.

The controls are totally ready to be used on mobile too, being a multitouch system, with virtual joysticks and touchpads, detecting actions like swipes, double tap, even the use of accelerometer for the camera if the option is enabled.

In this post you can see the previous aspect from 2.4c to the new one from 2.4d (check the captures on the spoiler):
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/gam...d-2-4d-availlable.351456/page-47#post-3809881

The new input system is much more powerful and customizable than ever.

Tell me if you have doubts about this system.

Regards.

neodotca and tgamorris76 like this.
  15. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Quick progress update.

I have been improving the ground adherence on slopes and stairs, making the system smoother and more configurable, including a simplification of the code too and working better in any view, free camera, aiming, first person, etc...

Also, the foot step manage has been modified to remove the previous use of layers to use an extra component that is attached to an object with collider and configure the surface name on it, so when the player steps on it, the system will identify the type of surface, working as previously. This allows to reduce the number of layers used on GKC, so you can use them as you need and allow to configure an unlimited number of surfaces types for foot steps sounds.

The 2.5d camera system has been improved too, making it smoother, with some extra options for that type of view and other for the locked camera system (which is the main used for all different camera views different from free mode).

A camera clamp option will be added, to limit the position of the camera to a certain range, used in many 2.5d and 2d games, so if the player moves close to a wall on the limit of the camera, this will only move until a certain horizontal and vertical position towards the player. This will be configurable for different rooms, so you can set different limits on every place you need. It is similar to this (I didn't find a better example, this is from a 2d camera asset):

rooms.gif

Finally, other improvements have been added, including custom inspectors for some new components, like the zero gravity room system, the objective event system to configure missions, and the system to place grabbed objects in specific positions to trigger events (used for elements like the battery receivers).

The new beta build and the second beta version project will be ready this weekend.

Regards.

16. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Wow!! Really!! Thank you so much cant wait for that kind of animation support. I gotta say for one man youre dedicated to this Asset and have been working at it continuously, thats rare. I'm curious do you also develop your own games or is this asset kinda just the main focus for u? Lol Im looking forward to everything you do from this point especially this 3.0 beta and regarding the "additives" i mentioned i apologize i meant animation layers that are built in to unity, I was just uneducated on the fact.

Oh and about the inputs, I meant like in the demo theres alot of inputs or keys for all the different features, is there a way they get consolidated for a gamepad or even a way to minimize the amount of keys for pc? Lol hope this makes sense.

17. sr388

sr388

Thanks to your for your interest and suggestions, they help a lot. Thanks also for your compliments. I love to work on this asset, I have been doing it for almost 4 years (even more since I started the base project) and I am not even close to be tired of it, totally the opposite and it is really cool to see how it evolves.

I have had personal projects for games but nothing comercial. This is the first "product" I have made and one of its objectives is to use it as a way to learn more about videogames and its development, so the day I am able to work on my own game, I have all the tools that I need in a single package, knowing totally all the things they can do.

Another thing that I want to do is make a little project with GKC to make a game from beginning to end, so like that, I can see better what tools and systems need to be added to GKC to cover all these elements, making it more complete.

About the animations, yeah, 3.0 will improve that part of GKC with a new animator and new animations, I am really excited to make that change.

Yes, all the actions on GKC can be assigned to the gamepad in the same custom input system. In the demo there is a lot of controls due to it is focused in showing all the elements of GKC, but usually games don't have so many actions. For 3.0, new demos will be added focused in more specific and regular controls scheme, like one focused in a shooter game, another for adventure, platforms, survival horror, 2.5d, top down, point and click, isometric, etc....

The input system is made to have as many actions as needed, so you can make regular controls, from basic, as jump, run, interact with objects and a couple more or to include a higher number of actions (like include fire weapons, melee combat, etc.... in the same project), that depends of what kind of game you are working. GKC is very flexible in that field.

Regards.

Wetw0rx, Aaron2348 and neodotca like this.
  18. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

yeah man no problem, glad i could help, and yeah makes alot of sense, Great approach to it and personal projects are always good. that's basically what i plan to do with the kit is become a literal guru, then start producing some serious material. Thanks for all the info on the asset, highly appreciated...was not able to grab it yet sadly, hoping i can by Sunday:)

sr388 likes this.
  19. sr388

sr388

Glad to help. Thanks again for your words and support of the asset. You can be sure the asset will become much better in every update.

Btw @Aaron2348, if you want access to the beta version of 2.4d, tell me by PM.

Regards.

20. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Quick progress update.

I have added secondary weapons to be used as attachments, so you can activate a grenade launcher for example. It is a new component, with a simpler version of the player weapon system but with all the options available for it, so it is not only a grenade launcher but any type of weapon.

It also includes the option to configure new behaviour for the secondary weapon and for its projectiles, so for example, you can have a sedative projectile on a regular pistol as an attachment.

The ammo of the secondary weapon can be show in the weapon HUD (you can see the number along with an icon below the weapon icon). If the attachment is disabled or the weapon is changed, the HUD will set the proper panel, including to disable the attachment info if the weapon hasn't any attachment active which uses the HUD.

Also, hands on the weapon change from position according to if the new attachment is in a place where the can can't be placed anymore, like in this case, the grenade launcher, so the player will put his hand below it for both first and third person view.

Here a video:

(The lines longer than it should in the attachment editing mode is just due to a resolution issue, it will be fixed. Also, I have started to use OBS, it is the reason of the black sides on the screen xd).

Regards.

21. danreid70

danreid70

Looking awesome! Can't wait for the update!

I have a configuration question - regarding "chairs"...

If I have a chair model that I want my character to be able to sit in, but it's not a vehicle, what would be the best way to configure this? I was going to start with a vehicle (as it has all the IK settings for where the feet and hands should go, and the exit points for where to spawn when leaving it), and hitting "E" will 'drive/enter' it or 'exit'. So I figured that would be the best place to start: create a vehicle and then tear out everything not needed.

• Would that be the best way to create/configure a "chair"? It seems everything needed is right there in the vehicle prefabs, but I want to see what you think before I mangle something I shouldn't (because there's a better way that I'm missing). :)
    • And on that same theme: say I want my character to be able to "sleep". Could I create a prefab that I could rearrange the IK positions to make the character lay down (a bed/bedroll)? Trickier than a chair, as the character would then be horizontal.
    ...and also regarding my favorite subject: Multiplayer (which may be simplified greatly with the split-screen that you're working on next, as you'll have to separate characters from the inputs, and clone them (presumably?) in some way for both screens (or are you going to just use separate cameras in same scene? Either way, split-screen should definitely be the next logical step in separating the controllers from the characters, and allowing for cloning across a network).
    • One other question regarding player controllers: If I want to be able to switch out characters in-game (I have multiple characters I want the player to select), do you have a built-in way to do this (next update?). I'd like to be able to spawn in a separate rigged character model in-game -- and preferably not be locked inside the GKC_Prefab hierarchy. I want the Character Controller (player controller) to be outside the prefab, at the root.
    ...I'm thinking you can see where I'm going with this -- if the basic model prefab is at the top level, I can attach a NetworkIdentity to it, and I can then clone that character to other clients in a network... Aside from the IK controls, I think I can then sync the locally controlled player with the remote-client clone-players (and animations, actions/effects/states) across a network, and then just figure out how (and how often) to sync position/rotation variables for the hands/head (localPosition/localRotation - not worldspace or lag could stretch the heck out of the arms and head! LOL!)... In theory, this syncing should be fairly straightforward, player accepts input from somewhere, sets it in a sync'ed variable and acts locally, the remote clone acts on the sync'ed variables, and periodically slerps worldspace position/rotation to keep in sync smoothly.

Also - since I'm on this track, I was thinking there should be 2 sets of sync'ed data... World data that syncs constantly (character position/rotation, and effects: bullet fired from/to location, etc), and things that don't need to be synced if they're too far or out of sight of the player camera: IK positions, animations, complex data). Why sync data that is only visual, and the player can't see the other 8 players on the other side of the 'world'? But, world data - I fired a grenade from the other side of a hill, remote players don't need to see my IK hand movements, but they sure need to see the effects when that grenade pops over the hill and lands at my feet... :)

All inputs from player would go into a "middle-ware" que, and acted on by the player controller from there instead of directly from input. That data que is sync'ed, and so all client clones only act on that data. Controlling player can 'set' the data, all clients can only 'read' the data... Sync-vars?

So maybe having a sphere trigger attached to the camera, the "complex" visual data only gets sent to players who are within the camera "trigger sphere". To keep network traffic down to bare minimum. Thinking I'm going to work on this over Thanksgiving break (took a week off, so I'll finally have some time to play with that! :) )

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    sr388 and tgamorris76 like this.
  22. sr388

sr388

The system used for vehicles and other elements with IK could be extended for that, but for this kind of actions, maybe actual animations could be a better option. For this case, the system would need to use a match target system so the player will play the sit down animation on a chair or to go to sleep properly and in the needed position.

For this, what I have planned to do is a system to play specific animation on specific places, allowing to configure any animation on any place, like sit down on a chair, open a door, climb a ladder, open a chest/box, etc... This will come with the new animations and the remake of the animator, to being easy to include these actions and include new ones very quickly.

But like I said, the IK system could be extended, so positions like you need and more could be configured, I can add it into the the todo list if you want.

For the split screen, there will be separated cameras for free mode control, like third and first person. This will include others like, 2.5d, top down, point and click, locked camera, etc... But for these last, there will be an option to use just one camera, so it will calculate the position of the players on the screen and adjust its position according to that, keeping all the players on screen in every moment.

I have also made a system for 2.5d and 2d to follow a main character and if some of the other players are out of that camera, a mini camera icon shows him on the sides of the screen, so that player can see his actions and return to the main camera. All of these options will be included, so you can use the option your prefer or fits better the type of project you are working.

Yes, this will be included as well, having a main player and the rest will be AI, that will follow your orders. In any moment, you will be able to change from one character to another, in the same way that GTAV or resident evil revelations 2 do. In the last case, this will allow to make coop games with two players for example. If only one player is playing, the second character will be controlled by the AI but you can change to that character, for example, to use a specific ability of him. In other case, two players will control every character.

That also includes the gamepad logic to know which character does what action.

The idea is that every character (used by a player or an AI in coop mode) will be a separated GKC_Prefab (also, that name will change and have a slight different hierarchy for 2.4d and 3.0).

All of this is almost made, but not totally ready yet. There are only minor elements to modify and some other that will need some addition once I start to work on the new update and test the split screen mode. Maybe the "biggest" thing to complete is to make the map system able to be used for different players, but it has zero difficulty, it is just a matter to work on the modification.

Mmmmm that logic to just show the complex elements of every character (IK, animator, etc....) only in the range of the player and just keep track of positions and actions of the rest is a very good chooice that I didn't take into account yet. It is the kind of things that will help to get a better perfomance on multiplayer.

I will keep these ideas on the file that I will use as guide to work on the online, they will be very useful. Thanks @danreid70 for share your ideas about this, it is a very good help.

Btw, if I am not wrong, you didn't asked for the beta version of 2.4d, so if you want, I can send you the link, as this version is much more close of the split screen than 2.4c and maybe can help you more if you work on these elements before I do.

Regards.

danreid70 likes this.
  23. danreid70

danreid70

Hey sr388, I just sent a "conversation" on here (not sure how that all works, it says it's in beta)... Regarding Beta -- definitely interested in the link to the Beta (in my "conversation" thing on here, I explained why I didn't request it -- in short: because I knew I'd end up playing with it too much... lol).

Can PM me on here with the link.

Great job on all the new stuff, by the way! Keep up the awesome work!

--Dan

sr388 likes this.
  24. Zebbi

Zebbi

When is 2.4d due for gold release?

sr388 likes this.
  25. sr388

sr388

I will check that conversation after finish this message. Haha, guilty to play too much, I know that feel.

Thanks for your words, the work will keep this rate and will be even increased ;).

This month and trying to adjust the time for less than two weeks from today for some specific and very good reasons. At this point, it could seems pointless to apologize for the wait time, but I also think than the final result will worth the wait. But I am sorry for all these delays, I am the first one that hate it.

Btw, for those who asked for the beta version and have had the time to try it (no matter how much time), what do you think about it? It would mean a lot for me to get more feedback that would help to improve it, adjust stuff, fix any issue and more.

Regards.

26. pbrowne

pbrowne

I am needing a dialogue system, something like Fallout. I noticed that dialogue is something you are planning to add. Just wondering when that might be and whether it would support a simple dialogue system like Fallout with branching logic?

sr388 likes this.
  27. sr388

sr388

Yes, a custom dialog system inside GKC will be added on 3.0, to have one of this kind of system ready to be used out of the box. The objective is to have a simple yet very customizable system. For this custom system, I want to include dialog lines, so you can select different conversations and different things will be triggered according to that, though I don't know if that will be included in the first version of this custom dialog system or in the next update after that.

Also, the asset Dialog System will be integrated in GKC, not sure if it will be for 3.0 or next update after that, but it will be added in one of these two updates. In theory, this asset should be quick and easy to integrate with GKC (I already talked with TonyLi, his developer).

Regards.

28. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

I use an asset called plyGame its a visual programming games framework with a dialogue and quest editor. It integrates fairly straight forward with GKC

29. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

30. sr388

sr388

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that system too. It is a good solution to use in the mean time.

Thanks for remind it @tgamorris76.

Regards.

tgamorris76 likes this.
  31. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Another quick progress update.

The clamp system for the locked and semi locked camera (2.5d, top dow, isometric, point and click, etc...) has been added along with improvements for the locked camera system.

Here a video which shows and explains all the system:

Regards.

EvilGremlin and magique like this.
  32. neoshaman

neoshaman

A subtle note, go back and play many 3d platformer, you will see the Y position is only updated when the character is making contact with ground, when character jump the camera just look at it, not follow it vertically. I don't know if you have implemented this, but this is such a subtle unstate cametra trick in the industry. Work too for 2d, so you have vertical readjustement, then boundary check that drag the camera.

sr388 likes this.
  33. sr388

sr388

Yeah, there is lot of nice tricks and options on most 2d and 2.5d games with the camera and I want to implement all these options. Can you tell me some game that does the effect you said?

I have always liked view changes like when the player starts to walk on a room and the camera moves away with a tiny player on the screen and a big look of the scene.

I haven't added yet the vertical adjusting and the boundary check to drag the camera, but I will. 2d and 2.5d mechanics, elements, cameras and more are something that will be boosted on GKC on next updates, starting already with the upcoming 2.4d.

To make sure I don't forget about all this kind of options, to all the people interested in use GKC for this kind of 2d/2.5d projects and games, please tell me about what options you would like (and some video reference helps to see them better) and they will be included.

Regards.

34. sr388

sr388

Btw, here a couple of gifs from some improvements made to the waypoint platform that can be seen in the video. The first is the option on waypoint platforms to check objects below of them to avoid to cross these objects. It takes into account any size of object, like if the player is standing or crouching, something that scales the capsule collider on the player.

Also, these platforms moves other objects beside the player, like anything with a rigidbody, with option to use tags to know what objects can be moved.

The other element is an option on waypoint platforms to mirror movements from other platforms, in the same or opposite direction. Along with this, events can be configured when a platform reaches any waypoint, for example, to make the platform to stop its component and fall, to get a behavior similar to those from Mario bros, joined by a rope that fall if the platform is too much away from its initial position.

locked camera and falling platforms2.gif

locked camera and falling platforms3.gif

locked camera and falling platforms4.gif
    Regards.

35. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Really, a lot of great work has been put into this! Once melee combat is added I'll be switching over to use your asset. I'm one of the early adopters of your asset but melee (sword, sheild, bow, magic, etc.) is what I really need for my current set of projects. Hopefully those will be coming soon.

36. sr388

sr388

Thanks, really appreciated for your comment and for your trust on the early steps of this asset :)

The melee combat will be started soon, for 3.0, though I am not sure if it will be included on it or in the next update after that. But you can be sure it will come, now it is just a matter of a little more of time.

Regards.

37. neoshaman

neoshaman

Basically all game made by nintendo or the game industry ... so mario 64 or ubisoft naruto are a good way to start lol. Camera stability is important for minimizing vertigo. I never see this discuss online so I thought this is something that's big enough to notify. It's hard to find footage to show case that because a lot of thing are always moving and there is slope and such.

sr388 likes this.
  38. sr388

sr388

Yeah. I have been already checking some games of this style and playing a little some of them and I have added some more options on the todo list for the 2.5d view.

I have also added more options to this system, like different speed for vertical and horizontal movement of the camera, set an offset to left and right according to the direction the player is facing, according to if he is moving or not, and a couple more.

Also, I am making another option for a bound camera on locked view (maybe there is a better name for this), so the camera will only follow the player if he is on the limits of this bound, similar to being in a rectangle, if the player touches the sides or up or down, the camera will follow him.

This will be used not only on 2.5d, but any kind of locked view, allowing to set a bound limit for height, width and depth, like the option to limit the camera position on every zone/room of the level for this type of view.

Thanks for the suggestion @neoshaman.

I will also finish the new beta build this week.

Regards.

39. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Quick progress update.

Some of the camera options I mentioned before have been added.

The red cube is a bound for the camera, so if the player is inside this bound, the camera won't move, if he reaches the limit of the box, the camera will move. This is also usable on the rest types of views, like top down, isometric, semi locked, etc... This cube is just the gizmo showing the values for widht, height and depth, with two values for every axis.

The last gif is an option to set an offset to the left and right side, configure the amount of offset according to if the player is moving or not, similar to how metroid: samus returns works.

Regards.

EvilGremlin likes this.
  40. neoshaman

neoshaman

I'm not sure you understand what I was pointing at lol;
    1. camera update vertical when character state = onGround
    2. do not when state is different (ie AIR)

Basically it reposition the camera vertically when he touch ground

I wasn't talking about locked camera and the usual "dead zone" like you are implying.

I may need to compile some subtle thing people do with camera that aren't that obvious and are generally missing in implementation I see. I have to go shopping brb

sr388 likes this.
  41. sr388

sr388

Yes, the gifs from my last post are from some WIP.

I wanted to ask about the reposition of the camera. With this way of work, if the player falls from a big distance, he will be out of the camera for a long time, right? Maybe an option to check if the player is in a long fall, maybe the camera could return to him.

I can't remember any game with this option, though I am sure I have seen it. And yes, keep telling and showing features for 2.5d and 2d control.

Regards.

42. neoshaman

neoshaman

It was for 3d control lol but 2d does that too

But there is a very in depth listing here for 2d, though it translate in 3d too.
    https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Ita..._and_Practice_of_Cameras_in_SideScrollers.php

Video version

And I'll start making a short non exhausted list of article for everyone to learn with whatever work for them which I will update when I have time to have a single point of reference :p

empty, come back later

EvilGremlin and sr388 like this.
  43. sr388

sr388

That is a lot of homework.....and I love it haha.

Love to see GDC conferences, post mortem and similar, so I will see and read all of this to add all the needed options for the camera. I will post any thoughts about once I have seen them.

As always, thanks @neoshaman for all this search or resources, your criteria for this stuff and development knowledge is very good and a trust source ;) (and waiting for the extension content).

Regards.

EvilGremlin likes this.
  44. neoshaman

neoshaman

It will take a while I'm on low consumption mode this month due to some investment, so I don't even have all the energy to process all informations I want lol, the only reason you don't have it yet is that I fall asleep due to the calorie restriction lol.

sr388 likes this.
  45. sr388

sr388

Sounds like a dangerous diet or something. Maybe due to some illness? In any case, don't worry, there is already a lot of stuff to check and learn, so there is quite stuff for a while haha. But don't hesitate to keep telling anything about development logic and decisions, they are very useful.

Take care.

Btw, I have already adjusted some elements on the locked camera for 2.5d and the rest of views, including the bounds on the camera and the horizontal offset on 2.5d and other views, and now it is much more smoother and has more customization.

So now I am moving on to finish the betas build and project and with it the update. Keeping the end of the month as the date for the upload to the asset store.

Regards.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    neoshaman likes this.
  46. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

I will have ready the beta build today, I have been organizing better the hierarchy of the new demo, and will add a couple of improvements on the map system to allow to change it ingame to XY, YZ and XZ orientations. Also, to use vehicles on locked cameras, so they work properly on this view too.

I want also to ask you people about the period time that updates used to take for GKC. 2.4d is almost ready, and it has almost taken 6 months of development.

I want to know what you prefer: big updates but with a time period of a few months (2-3 onwards) or littler updates with a max amount of time of 1-2 months (maybe just one month approximately).

Regards.

47. neodotca

neodotca

With a game already published, and using so many features of GKC that needs to be upgraded, for me its clear, definitely 6 to 12 months.

sr388 likes this.
  48. Razmot

Razmot

One "instable/beta" version very often, and one stable version !

sr388 likes this.
  49. ivolga-indi

ivolga-indi

1-2 months

sr388 likes this.
  50. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

I like the idea of 1-2 month updates but realistically, the 3 month update cycle has been good so far. This one is delayed but with good reason. Actually, I haven't even fully explored some of the 2.4c features yet! This asset is massive and at this rate, we've got almost everything we need to make any game. Documentation is key at this point because a lot of what has been asked about on this forum is already in GKC just not so obvious. BTW, I haven't asked for the beta cuz I'm super busy aquiring/testing art assets and making some hard choices about terrain and scene Unity problems (floating point and scene management still lol).
    Questions
    1. Any chance the character creator will soon be able to work with non humanoid rigs or is there something I'm missing there?
    2. Can the teleport platforms be extended to include an optional screen fade in/out and allow for teleporting while in a vehicle? Is there a way to teleport with an AI companion following you or a way to make the companion teleport to you when far enough away (a cheap and hated technique I know lol but sometimes necessary)

Great work as always, the 2.4d update looks incredible

ron-bohn, tgamorris76 and sr388 like this.